PDA

View Full Version : The Oracle

BillyxRansom
10-03-2008, 07:40 AM
I couldn't get a visual of what the oracle looked like or was supposed to look like. In fact, I don't even remember any description of it. Can someone help me out with this?

Brainslinger
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
The book strongly suggested that she doesn't have a physical form. She appeared to Roland in the form of Susan, but I got the impression that was a mental image rather than physical.

BillyxRansom
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
The book strongly suggested that she doesn't have a physical form. She appeared to Roland in the form of Susan, but I got the impression that was a mental image rather than physical.

I didn't even pick up that much, that she came to him in the form of Susan. Interesting. I almost took the lack of description as that she might have just been a pulsating light that pulsed every time she spoke. It didn't say that (to my knowledge) but I just improvised.

Brainslinger
10-04-2008, 12:58 PM
I didn't even pick up that much, that she came to him in the form of Susan. Interesting. I almost took the lack of description as that she might have just been a pulsating light that pulsed every time she spoke. It didn't say that (to my knowledge) but I just improvised.

Well she initially came to him as an invisible force (I think). But during her attempted seduction, I think she pulled Susan from Roland's mind. There was an underlying suggestion that there was something cold and sterile beneath though.

JQ The Gunslinger
10-05-2008, 06:11 PM
all i remember was that he went into the center of a rock formation, and then an invisible force was probin hiim

Wuducynn
10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
There isn't any description of the Oracle except for when it is in Susan's form. It would be a cool thing to have the artists on this site try to do their rendition of it in the Dark Tower artwork contest thread.

Jackie
10-05-2008, 08:56 PM

I agree I remember it being described as not having it's own physical form. I think that it being in the form of Susan, was just a mental image that it pulled from Rolands memory, because it knew it was an emotional spot for him.

Letti
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
There isn't any description of the Oracle except for when it is in Susan's form. It would be a cool thing to have the artists on this site try to do their rendition of it in the Dark Tower artwork contest thread.

What an excellent idea. I am sure we would get amazing entries. You should send this idea to Daghain in a PM. She may not read this thread.

Anyway I agree with the others. It didn't have any real physical form or more exactly nothing that Roland could see. It was like the wind... you can feel it but you can't grab, touch or see it.
The Oracle got the picture of Susan from Roland's mind that's absolutely sure. It was a quite evil thing to do.

The Lady of Shadows
10-09-2008, 04:33 PM

What an excellent idea. I am sure we would get amazing entries. You should send this idea to Daghain in a PM. She may not read this thread.

Anyway I agree with the others. It didn't have any real physical form or more exactly nothing that Roland could see. It was like the wind... you can feel it but you can't grab, touch or see it. The Oracle got the picture of Susan from Roland's mind that's absolutely sure. It was a quite evil thing to do.

purple bold part = but wait. when the incomplete tet was trying to draw jake in TWL, eddie told susannah to do whatever she had to just keep it off him. so didn't susannah put her arms around the neck of the demon and use that for leverage to arc up into it and hold it in place when she was having sex with it? so how do we reconcile this since we know that the demon in TG is the same one from TWL?

or am i totally confused and we're speaking of something completely different here? it's okay if i'm lost. just tell me to shut-up and crawl back into my shell. :wtf:

spoilered for references to TWL and SoS.

Brainslinger
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
The oracle can certainly touch physically and be touched (hence it's ability to 'perform') but it doesn't have a form you can see. And I'm not certain even that level of tangibility is permanent. (I.e. it assumes it when it is required.)

Later books' spoilers.

That being said, when the incubus left Susannah, she got an impression of something like a huge manta ray with a long tail (I think we can assume it's 'tail' wasn't actually a tail, in the conventional sense considering what had just happened.) Again I think this was mainly a brief impression she received in her mind though. And whilst I think they have a form of sorts, I don't think it's visible.

Mia is another example. Even in her previous incorporeal role she seemed to have a form she would take when she seduced a man. From the vision Susannah saw, I got the impression the form was more literal, i.e. observed by the eye, but whether that was just something she showed Susannah (they were todash after all) or if she actually physically appeared to men that way, or just as another mental impression, I'm not sure.

Or maybe there are just different rules for different demons.

Letti
10-09-2008, 11:39 PM
You are right, turtle. My wind example wasn't perfect at all.

Brainslinger
10-10-2008, 07:55 AM

It wasn't bad though. I think I understand how you came by it. There was a sense of airiness about both encounters, and even with the physical 'interaction' you got the impression the air was hardening somehow.

That last bit sounds rude. I mean the demon's body as a whole.

Oh never mind...

The Lady of Shadows
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM

no, no. i was just trying to make sure i was following the conversation. how could you ever be anything less than perfect, letti? :couple:

It wasn't bad though. I think I understand how you came by it. There was a sense of airiness about both encounters, and even with the physical 'interaction' you got the impression the air was hardening somehow.

Oh never mind...

::sits patiently:: oh, please brainslinger, do go on. . . . :D

Wuducynn
10-11-2008, 09:11 AM

Oh never mind...

Jeeze Brain, you're such a worry-wort about this kind of thing. We got you man, we got you. I agree.

Brainslinger
10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Jeeze Brain, you're such a worry-wort about this kind of thing. We got you man, we got you. I agree.

Maybe. Or maybe I've just got a dirty mind. ;)

Letti
10-12-2008, 12:31 AM
We all have. ;)

Wuducynn
10-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Not me!

Brice
10-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes, Matthew is all innocence, sunshine, and rainbows.