PDA

View Full Version : How often do they come to your mind?

Letti
06-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Yesterday I spent a beautiful day with Susan on a horse farm and as we were walking and talking we mentioned many times that it wouldn't be so strange if Roland stepped out from the trees...
Roland and his ka-tet come to my mind quite often.

How often do you think of them during your daily routine? Are they on your mind when you are here or maybe all the time?

Matt
06-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Great thread Letti.

For me, I believe the story has been on my mind every day for at least the last four years. Being a fan and realizing the potential of something like this has been a long time coming.

During the first four books (before the internet) I remember being affected for weeks after reading one. Then, of course, the re reads that have happened about once a year since the beginning.

<gasp>

I think about it a lot I guess

Letti
06-09-2007, 08:55 AM
And do you remember the good parts or do you rethink everything or do you have pics in mind and many "what if.."..?

alinda
06-09-2007, 09:46 AM
And do you remember the good parts or do you rethink everything or do you have pics in mind and many "what if.."..?

Letti,

Always interesting questions. I suppose I think of
them & theyre adventures quite often. I imagine
many what if's mostly what if I found myself in
their world, could I survive at all? :cowboy:

Letti
06-09-2007, 12:40 PM
You could. You are such a smart woman, Linda.

RmRem
06-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I definitely had been thinking about them a lot over the last couple of years. I was fortunate enough to start reading them the day the last book came out, so I had no long, drawn out wait between books and was able to read them all back to back. Then back to back, then back to back, then a friend came up with the audio books, then about 200 AAA batteries later, I was in the same place with the audio books as I was with the actual books. I didn’t consider it an obsession, but I had to brake the cycle, so I took the Susana road. I know I’ll start re-reading someday, but it was nice to be able to start reading other things again.
Another strange occurrence, I’ve so far pulled about 4 or 5 other people into this series since the first book was given to me, (oddly enough with the same copy of the book that was given to me) and it seems every one of them, without exceptions, starts having gunslinger dreams by the time they reach the third book. And not normal “Wow, I dreamed I was in Mid World” kind of dreams, but rather dreams of pitched gunslinger-like battles, or of following Jake though his ordeal, sharing in the deviations. I know I’ve had them too, just figured it was the MP3 player still being on as I fell asleep. Whatever causes them though, they defiantly add a layer of……hhmm (scratching head) I want to say personal emotional investment, to each read…at least for me. Anyone else?

-Rem

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I find myself thinking about the series and/or characters once every other day or so. It's usually in passing reference, though.

MonteGss
06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I would say I think about them every other day or at least 3 times a week. :)
My wife thinks I'm nuts. :)
(she's not a reader, :o)

Daghain
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
And you haven't divorced her yet? Wow. (Just kidding) :)

I think of them daily, for two reasons:

1) I'm rereading the series. I'm currenly in book VII.

2) I should be working on the wiki and the Ancient Scrolls forum, but I have 6 weeks until I'm done with my accounting degree, which at this point, I feel, is getting in the way of my fun. :(

I can't wait until I have no homework to work on this site. :)

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 05:17 AM
I think of the Dark Tower series and the characters therein every day.

sarah
06-13-2007, 05:52 AM
I'm here just about everyday so yeah, i think about them just about everyday. I'm rereading the series on my own and with the reread with sarajean. I'm at the beginning of wolves right now. I haven't even looked at books 5-7 in two years. this should all be very interesting and exciting.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I couldn't be with somebody who wasn't a reader.

MonteGss
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Oh.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm just razzing you, Monte.

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Oh.

*Hands Monte a tissue and claps him on the back* You'll be alright man.

LadyHitchhiker
06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
The dark tower is almost constantly on my mind, but what's even more constantly on my mind are the friends I have made because of SK's fabulous musings. Thank you Sk and thank you friends.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Thank YOU, Liz! :wub:

VolsToTheWall
06-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Well since I usually come to a DT themed message board daily, and if I'm short on time I try to at least check Lilja's site, I'd have to say every day for the most part.

Letti
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
The dark tower is almost constantly on my mind, but what's even more constantly on my mind are the friends I have made because of SK's fabulous musings. Thank you Sk and thank you friends.

Liz, you can read my mind and my soul. :rose:

Has she never been in love with a book?

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Well he said she's not a reader so I would assume not.

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 04:45 PM

Has she never been in love with a book?

This is kinda off-topic.
Reading is not a passion of hers. She isn't the type of person that is always reading something. Like me. :)
She owns plenty of books and reads magazines/internet all the time.
I have no doubt that she will read The Dark Tower at some point.
I'm a nagger....not really. :lol:

Ruki
06-14-2007, 04:56 PM
i think about them every day, there's no avoiding it. if i'm not thinking of specific parts of a book i'm daydreaming about being a character, and on the days when neither of those things happens i come here and get reminded of them.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 05:41 PM
i think about them every day, there's no avoiding it. if i'm not thinking of specific parts of a book i'm daydreaming about being a character, and on the days when neither of those things happens i come here and get reminded of them.

Have you ever daydreamed about being Gasher?

NeedfulKings
06-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I’ve so far pulled about 4 or 5 other people into this series since the first book was given to me, (oddly enough with the same copy of the book that was given to me)
-Rem

Very cool! I've got a few notches in my sandalwood grip as well. :thumbsup:

Since reading the Gunslinger, it's become an obsession, both with SK boards and book collecting. So, yes, Every Single Day!!!

Great question, Letti. And yes, I love the community of Tower Junkies. It's one of a kind. One of a King.

:)

Ruki
06-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Have you ever daydreamed about being Gasher?

no. what an odd question. you're sorta spooky :P

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 08:36 PM
no. what an odd question. you're sorta spooky :P

:lol:

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I think I see Oy once and awhile. Other than that, on a hot day like today as I was working my butt off, I felt more like I could see Roland walking in the desert.

Patrick
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
... what's even more constantly on my mind are the friends I have made because of SK's fabulous musings. Thank you Sk and thank you friends.

That post says it best.

:thumbsup:

Letti
06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
... what's even more constantly on my mind are the friends I have made because of SK's fabulous musings. Thank you Sk and thank you friends.

That post says it best.

:thumbsup:

:grouphug:

hisDudeness
12-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Honestly, I find myself looking for 19 where I know the won't be. but I do find 11 alot

mallory
05-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Okay..i know it just sounds crazy, however I pride myself being a some what rational person.The whole DT series, how many books and stories it touches is a bit overwhelming to me.I mean i could spend the rest of my life reading these books and figuring out the connections and probably still wont fully grasp at what Mr. King had intended on.
I find the DT to be haunting..It follows me where I go. I am constantly reminded of the people and the places. Lud is nightmarish place for me.It comes to me in my worst nightmares ( ewww Gasher)..I hear Velcro Fly once in awhile in my head and those god awful drums ...Then I wonder, who else has these Books touched in this profound way.
I know I am a tower junkie but it has a way of sticking to me...
what about you?

alinda
05-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Hello and welcome Mallory. Stick around some cuz, your about to meet a whole lot of folks that are haunted by these books. My answer to your question is a resounding YES! I think about situations, people in the books daily, we here discuss all daily , and I look forward to hearing all your thoughts on various subjects but most of all in regards to The Dark Tower!

MonteGss
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the site mallory!! It's great to have another Tower Junkie around! :D :D :cool:

I think the thread below is pretty similar to what you are talking about. It's up to the mods, of course. :D
Hope to see you around the boards! :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=489

mallory
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys ~ loving it here

gothiclord2000
05-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay..i know it just sounds crazy....

Nix that, Just saw the link.

Matt
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I believe the story itself has been somewhere on my mind of over 20 years. That predates the children. :lol:

gothiclord2000
05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldnt say that I think of them daily, Just because life is so busy as of late. But when things are normal, nearly every day. There are many times that I have thought: "What would Roland do?" Quickly followed by the realization: "He would press on, Continue to the end." At times I find myself daydreaming about Blane the mono, and the old kiddie train in Topeka. (I believe) Or the falls where blane recharges. I find myself thinking about all of the NCP products that are sitting dormant covered in the decay of time, waiting for someone to push the button and get the inner workings moving again. I think, what would it have been like for Roland to meet the other protectors of the beam. Anything can set these thoughts in motion. Be it a light change at an intersection, or seeing an abandoned piece of machinery covered in vines along a line of trees. The Dark Tower as wound itself into the deepest recesses of my mind. I find it rather familiar and comforting, yet full of questions.

alinda
05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
:lol: at the current rate of disapation, it may never end!

razz
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
i heard velcro fly recently and couldn't stop laughing. they ph34r3d THAT song's drums?
when i hear the name zz top. i think VF, and then Dt. i drink a coke, and think "nozzala is probably better."
i can't drink hot chocolate without thinking of the last DT novel"
"mitt schlag"

Unfound One
05-28-2008, 01:01 PM
19 is everywhere for me lately.

razz
05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
i've started counting letters in names.
i have 20 in mine :(

Unfound One
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
My name = 17
My name + what I go by (SJ) = 19
Might be a stretch... but I like it. :D

Frunobulax
05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
All three of my names (first, middle, family)=19.

razz
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
now if i were to keep all but my first name, and replace it with Razz...

daveg344
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Actually, just today I was talking generally with a mate of mine. About names or something and it turns out her name is meant to mean 'A plain of roses'. I immediately thought of the Dark Tower.
Mentioned it to her, then realised she's 19.

I started to explain what I was talking about, since she started questioning my sanity when I was mumbling about all this lol and some other coincidences (or Ka?) turned up, though I can't remember much of it now lol

mallory
05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
hhaa..19 is a sweet number...it is Ka.. :)
hahha..
i think the DT can eventually make one insane..i know i am ..

Letti
05-28-2008, 11:28 PM
I can't say that it haunts me because it's so much the part of my life that it's absolutely natural that things from DT come to my mind during my days. I hardly notice them.

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM
i'll see something that is so completely fucked up and think "damn that's 19" (as in - everything is going 19). or i'll pass a really interesting looking door and for a split second i'll find myself wondering "if i open that, where will it go?" conversely, i can't stand slightly open doors. because i don't know what's behind them. go figure.

i went out last night to put some bottles in the recycle bin and there were those round golden eyes staring at me from around the corner of the house. my immediate thought was "OY!!!!". of course, it was probably just a trick of the light, and a raccoon or something. . .but still.

sometimes i dream about susan, charyou tree, and the reap night bonfire and i wake up crying. i know that some of that is my personal stuff getting mixed in but still.

i dreamed about roland last night (probably because i just finished the gunslinger again). i dreamed we were standing in a huge farm yard that had an enclosed sheep pen in it. and all the sheep were just standing around, bleating and caked in mud and shit. they didn't know how to eat or drink and they were dying. roland was just standing in the pen's dooryard, looking at me and then at the sheep. and all the sheep were standing around looking at him. and i told him "they're waiting for you. they don't know what to do." and he just kept looking at me. then some men came up and wanted to take the sheep. i knew they wanted to kill the sheep but i knew that it didn't matter to roland; i knew he was going to give them the sheep. he looked at me and i shook my head no, pleading silently. and i was amazed because he didn't. he walked into the pen instead and all the sheep gathered around him. and there he was, roland of gilead, surrounded by a bunch of stupid, muddy, shit-caked, bleating sheep.
for some reason, i woke up crying for that dream too.

Jean
05-29-2008, 12:02 AM
dear friends, now this thread makes me think of about three others. If it doesn't get a face of its own soon, it is going to be split and merged.

The Lady of Shadows
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
maybe you're right jean. i don't know what other threads you're thinking of but this thread http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=489 now that i've reread it after your post does seem awfully similar. what other ones were you thinking about? i'd like to see them if you have the links/titles handy. :couple:

Jean
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
here's another (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=179506)

mallory
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
i wasn't aware that there was another thread on this very topic..its a bit overwhelming trying to shift through them all..for that im sorry dearies..

Jean
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
it's all right! I have merged it with the thread suggested by both Monte and t/song, hope you don't mind

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Ka-tet
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I think about the dark tower quite a lot, somtimes there is a what if? and i find myself trying to imagine what will happen in the next loop

Matt
05-29-2008, 01:57 PM
i wasn't aware that there was another thread on this very topic..its a bit overwhelming trying to shift through them all..for that im sorry dearies..

Happens all the time mallory, that's why the admin is here.

Don't worry a bit about it. :fairy:

alinda
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Alright so were all in the same thread now? Thanks mod.
What I was thinking is I here most every day so I guess I think of them
everyday. Nothing strange about that right?

razz
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
every song on my mp3 player connect to the tower. ex. The REaper. is played in the opening of the Stand movie, so through that i get the tower. Every tim mcgraw song make me think of the stars go blue music vido when they have faces in the trees, which remind me of the rose. Joker and the thief somehow reminds me of the phrase "dog named rover"...

Ves'Ka Gan
05-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I have got to say currently, the question is unfair, because I am re-reading the books. I dreamt of Jake and Eddie last night!

Before that, and I suppose the reason I started rereading the series, is that they were on my mind. I would say in retrospect, I was thinking of Roland and his Ka-Tet regularly, without even noticing it. I would use worlds from their world and feel confused when someone didn't know what I was talking about!

Now, of course, reading it, I am thinking of the characters as people, as my friends. Although I am a long time constant reader of King's, the DT series was the first story that I ever felt "sucked into" the world. Roland, Eddie, Sussanah, Jake (and especially Oy) are my friends! They are a part of my life now...(I probably sound crazy but I think you all understand!)

Unfound One
05-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Umm yes. We definitely understand. :rose:

obscurejude
05-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Everytime I see the vagrant dead, I'm reminded of the tet. Also, when I go todash or hear the death chimes. I also saw a bear with a trashcan on his head and it reminded me of Shardik. Every once in a while, I think I see the beam, and then it just turns out to be a telephone wire. I also saw a racoon that reminded me of Oy. I petted him and said, "here boy" and he just bit me. I contracted rabies, and then when I was getting twenty shots, I was reminded of Eddie shooting up. The doctor also didn't have any legs, was female, and apparently crazy (as evidenced by the conversations she was having with the door knob). I was of reminded of Susannah, of course, but mostly because the doctor seemed so unnecessary (similarly to Susannah). I mean, crazy and crippled, it just slowed the clinic down, without really giving it any character.

Unfound One
05-29-2008, 10:57 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh wow.

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Everytime I see the vagrant dead, I'm reminded of the tet. Also, when I go todash or hear the death chimes. I also saw a bear with a trashcan on his head and it reminded me of Shardik. Every once in a while, I think I see the beam, and then it just turns out to be a telephone wire. I also saw a racoon that reminded me of Oy. I petted him and said, "here boy" and he just bit me. I contracted rabies, and then when I was getting twenty shots, I was reminded of Eddie shooting up. The doctor also didn't have any legs, was female, and apparently crazy (as evidenced by the conversations she was having with the door knob). I was of reminded of Susannah, of course, but mostly because the doctor seemed so unnecessary (similarly to Susannah). I mean, crazy and crippled, it just slowed the clinic down, without really giving it any character.

can i have some of whatever you're having?

:rofl:

razz
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM

can i have some of whatever you're having?

:rofl:

Right. and I'll take seconds

sarah
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, I had my first Dark Tower dream in months last night. There was Roland and his guns with both hands in tact. It was good to see him well and healthy. :shoot:

Letti
09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, I had my first Dark Tower dream in months last night. There was Roland and his guns with both hands in tact. It was good to see him well and healthy. :shoot:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand??? What happened?