PDA

View Full Version : Patrick

Patrick
09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi, my name is Patrick.

I grew up in Santa Cruz, CA, left town for nine years (to attend UC Davis followed by working in various places in the Bay Area), then came back about fifteen years ago. I'm now happily married and have two young sons, 7- and 5-years old.

My life story is absolutely fascinating, what with intriguing stories of: how, at age 17, I spent a month in a small remote Panama village teaching schoolchildren to brush their teeth; the day I spent panhandling in Madrid; the time I locked the keys in the car at sunset on the remote side of Maui; the afternoon when I was nine years old and hitchhiked in an attempt to reach 7-11 because I really wanted a Slurpee. Yes, it really is quite exciting, so ask me questions. If you are thinking of one now, bravo! If you're not, what are you waiting for?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/FreshmanYearPatrick001.jpg
Young Patrick in his freshman year of high school, still so full of youthful idealism and romance about the world around him.

Randall Flagg
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Name your three favorite beers.

Jean
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
... and then, your three favorite bears

jayson
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi there Patrick.

Here come the music questions...

Do you play any instruments?

If so, which one(s) and for how long have you played?

If not, which one would you most like to learn to play?

Do you have a favorite band/artist?

What is your favorite concert that you've attended?

If you could see any band/artist (past or present) live in concert, who would it be?

Thank you for taking the time to answer and letting us know more about you :)

Letti
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Patrick, I will come back with questions but you must know I liked you from the very first moment I met you. I never got disappointed and all my feelings (respect, care and so many other) became deeper.
We all are lucky to have you here. *long hugs*

Daghain
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Of all the places you've traveled, which is your favorite?

Favorite TV show?

Favorite comic?

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure I can narrow it down that far, Jerome.

Ok, in terms of everyday drinkability, in no particular order:
A. Anchor Steam
B. Descutes Brewing's Mirror Pond Pale Ale
C. Anderson Valley Brewing's Boontville Amber

Three that I love, but generally won't drink a lot of in one sitting:
A. Young's Double Chocolate Stout
B. Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard Ale
C. Guiness

Honestly though, that's just for starters.

wizardsrainbow
09-29-2008, 11:16 AM

FOUL FOUL FOUL!!! You two have gotten drunk together at least twice that I know of. That's a "loaded" question Jerome! Shame on you! :wtf:

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:16 AM

:lol:

In reverse order:

A. Smokey
B. Yogi
C. Jean

wizardsrainbow
09-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Alrighty Patrick-

(1) Do you watch Spongebob Squarepants and is that why your avatar used to be the Patrick character from that show?

(2) You've run and completed a marathon for which I greatly admire you. Have you done anything harder in your life?

(3) Describe how you felt when you crossed the finish line.

(4) As a fellow King collector, what is your most prized King collectible?

(5) What is your favorite King story?

(6) Tell your wife she is an absolute peach for supporting your trip to Vegas and that we will take very good care of you and return you in good condition!

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi there Patrick.
Hey RofG!

Here come the music questions...

Do you play any instruments?
I'm the younger of two, so after having been forced to listen to one grade school student practice the violin and later the trumpet, when my turn came along, my parents considered their sanity and never encouraged me to learn music.

If so, which one(s) and for how long have you played?
At some point along the line I learned to play "Tom Dooley" on the guitar. That's it. I rocked that song though.

If not, which one would you most like to learn to play?Guitar.

For the past few years, it's been Camper Van Beethoven.

Probably Day on the Green #3 in Oakland. Headlined by The Police, back before they broke up.

If you could see any band/artist (past or present) live in concert, who would it be?
The Doors, no question about it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer and letting us know more about you :)
No problem, thank you for asking.

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Patrick, I will come back with questions but you must know I liked you from the very first moment I met you. I never got disappointed and all my feelings (respect, care and so many other) became deeper.
We all are lucky to have you here. *long hugs*
Ah, heck, now I'm all embarrassed. :blush: Thank you, Letti. You are very sweet. :couple:

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Daghain!

Of all the places you've traveled, which is your favorite?
Hmmm.. honestly, I cannot answer that. I prefer some places over others, and I've liked different places for completely different reasons, but I can't say that any one is my favorite. I can tell you this though, the country I would most like to go back to is Ireland.

Favorite TV show?
Current shows? LOST and The Office.

Favorite comic?
At the moment, Brian Regan.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Given my current point in life with young kids, right where I am.

Nerak
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Pat!!

So, um, what's your life's ambition?

What's your favorite color?

Where is the farthest you have ever flown?

Can you ski?

Can you whistle Dixie?

What non-alcoholic beverage do you drink on a daily basis?

:couple:

Bye Pat!

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Name your three favorite beers.FOUL FOUL FOUL!!! You two have gotten drunk together at least twice that I know of. That's a "loaded" question Jerome! Shame on you! :wtf::lol:

Alrighty Patrick-
Alrighty Wiz!

(1) Do you watch Spongebob Squarepants and is that why your avatar used to be the Patrick character from that show?
Damn you're perceptive.

(2) You've run and completed a marathon for which I greatly admire you. Have you done anything harder in your life?
Giving birth to two healthy baby boys!

Oh, that was my wife. Never mind.

Um, no. Wait, yes: Forcing myself to stick with the training it took to complete my first. As you may recall, I was not a runner at any level whatsoever only four months before that event.

(3) Describe how you felt when you crossed the finish line.
Exhausted and relieved.

(4) As a fellow King collector, what is your most prized King collectible?
Either The Stand S/L or The Talisman S/L.
The Regulators S/L rocks, but I haven't even read that story yet. :doh:

(5) What is your favorite King story?
The Talisman.

(6) Tell your wife she is an absolute peach for supporting your trip to Vegas
I have and I will again! Did I mention that she's getting a new couch out of the deal? She's a wily negotiator.

and that we will take very good care of you and return you in good condition!Thanks, David, but I'd be careful about making promises you may not be able to keep. :wtf:

Patrick
09-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey Pat!!
Hi Karen!

So, um, what's your life's ambition?
To make it through this week's Staff Spotlight.

What's your favorite color?
Green

Where is the farthest you have ever flown?
Non-stop? San Francisco to Paris.

Can you ski?
Yes, but not well.

Can you whistle Dixie?
I feel like I'm doing just that at work sometimes.

What non-alcoholic beverage do you drink on a daily basis?
Diet Coke. Buckets of it.

Bye Pat!
Hasta Luego! :couple:

jayson
09-29-2008, 11:50 AM

I actually saw them a couple of years ago. They were co-headlining a show with Built to Spill. I'll withhold my review on them since you like them. It was actually mostly the violin player who really got on my nerves. He thought he was Jean-Luc Ponty. He was not.

Probably Day on the Green #3 in Oakland. Headlined by The Police, back before they broke up.

That sounds very cool. I love the Police, though I never got to see them. I have seen Stewart Copeland play with Oysterhead (with Trey Anasatasio and Les Claypool) and that was pretty cool, but not quite as much as it would have been to see him play with Sting and Andy.

Darkthoughts
09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Woo hoo, Patrick!! :couple:

I'd actually like to challenge Letti for the role of head of your fanclub :D

Is the one thing about Santa Carla you never could stomach, really all the damn vampires?

What's your favourite part of being a parent?

What's your favourite snack when you're having a beer?

If you could have any car in the world, what would it be?

Are you coming to England in 2010? :huglove:

Jean
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM

In reverse order:

A. Smokey
B. Yogi
C. Jean
that's the right answer!
Bears' favorite patricks, too, are: St.Patrick of Ireland, Patrick Danville, and this here Patrick

wizardsrainbow
09-29-2008, 12:06 PM

In reverse order:

A. Smokey
B. Yogi
C. Jean
that's the right answer!
Bears' favorite patricks, too, are: St.Patrick of Ireland, Patrick Danville, and this here Patrick

Lovely exchange! Great answers, both!

fernandito
09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Que onda, mi Patrick? :cool:

Who is your favorite superhero?
What was the last movie you saw in theaters?
Which movie can you watch over and over without getting tired of it?
What's your favorite videogame?
What parts of Mexico have you visited besides Guadalajara?

Patrick
09-29-2008, 12:43 PM

I actually saw them a couple of years ago. They were co-headlining a show with Built to Spill. I'll withhold my review on them since you like them. It was actually mostly the violin player who really got on my nerves. He thought he was Jean-Luc Ponty. He was not.
Yeah, CVB's not for everybody, so no worries.

That sounds very cool. I love the Police, though I never got to see them. I have seen Stewart Copeland play with Oysterhead (with Trey Anasatasio and Les Claypool) and that was pretty cool, but not quite as much as it would have been to see him play with Sting and Andy.
The Police were awesome, especially after spending hours standing on a stadium lawn surrounded by thousands of other people. (Crowds don't bother me.) They were promoting the album Synchronicity, after the tour they broke up, of course. To give you an idea how long ago that was, the other bands that day included the Fixx, Madness, Oingo Boingo, and the Thompson Twins. :lol: I always hated the Thompson Twins.

Patrick
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Woo hoo, Patrick!! :couple:
Hi Lisa! :rock:

I'd actually like to challenge Letti for the role of head of your fanclub :D
Oh stop it now.

Is the one thing about Santa Carla you never could stomach, really all the damn vampires?
No, that the comic book store got destroyed in the big earthquake. I loved that place. It reopened down the street, but the ambience of that old building is lost.

What's your favourite part of being a parent?
The fact that it is more of everything. In many ways, everything in your life is cranked up. I love when they play together and watch out for each other, I love when they say stuff that cracks me up. I love when they cuddle up, I love watching them sleep.

What's your favourite snack when you're having a beer?
A burger and fries. Or fish and chips. Or a steak. Or chips and salsa. Everything goes with beer.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I sure as hell hope so! :couple:

Patrick
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM

In reverse order:

A. Smokey
B. Yogi
C. Jean
that's the right answer!
:lol: Thanks, Jean.

Darkthoughts
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Well hey, you only need to get hold of Chitty and the flights are no longer a problem! :D

...Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you...

Patrick
09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Que onda, mi Patrick? :cool:
Hola, Feverito! Que tal?

Who is your favorite superhero?
The Batman. Before that it was Green Lantern, before that it was The Flash.

What was the last movie you saw in theaters?
Pineapple Express.

Which movie can you watch over and over without getting tired of it?
I haven't watched a movie twice in a row in years that wasn't a kids' movie.

What's your favorite videogame?
Space Invaders. I'm old school.

What parts of Mexico have you visited besides Guadalajara?
Off the top of my head: Tijuana, Rosarito, Cabo San Lucas (and nearby San Jose del Cabo), Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Cancun, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuantenejo, Mexicali, Mexico City, and some inland small towns and tiny villages that no one has heard of. I love Mexico.

Daghain
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Damnit, now that song is stuck in my head. :lol:

Do subscribe to any magazines?

Paper or plastic? Why?

Patrick
09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Well hey, you only need to get hold of Chitty and the flights are no longer a problem! :D

...Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you...
:rofl: Excellent point! Maybe I could bring a big bag of Toot Sweets, the eatable, tweetable treats.

Patrick
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Damnit, now that song is stuck in my head. :lol:

Do subscribe to any magazines?

Paper or plastic? Why?

:lol: It's stuck in mine too now.

Magazine subscriptions:
Runner's World and Entertainment Weekly. Everything else expired.

Paper or Plastic?
Paper.

Why?
So I can use it again later to take out the garbage.

The Lady of Shadows
09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
hi patrick. ::waves::

*what's the deal with the car in your av?
*what is your biggest regret in life?
*if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?
*are you a diet coke man exclusively or do you like diet pepsi also?
*cats or dogs?
*if i'm very sweet will you leave your collection to me? i'm a new collector so i don't have much you know. ::bats eyelashes prettily::

Patrick
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
hi patrick. ::waves::
Hi turtlesong!

*what's the deal with the car in your av?
It's a very unique, expensive race car that I saw at a fancy auto show in Pebble Beach a couple months ago. (In a rare moment I posted in the Avs & Sigs thread some detail on the car's history). It's my avatar mainly because of the number, of course.

*what is your biggest regret in life?
Get a piece of paper and pencil. Mark off a rectangle about 7-inches high and 2-inches wide. Now draw a squiggly oval border on that area. Shade it in with the pencil.

That's how big a coffee stain I made on my shirt at the coffee shop this morning.

Because of my commute, I'm still wearing that shirt.

I sure regret not checking the lid before I drank.

*if you could change one thing in your life what would it be?
I probably would have passed on that whole first marriage thing that didn't work out. That was expensive emotionally and financially.

*are you a diet coke man exclusively or do you like diet pepsi also?
I'm a caffeine whore. I drink Diet Pepsi, but given a choice, I'll always take Diet Coke. Hopefully with a floater of regular Coke to take the edge off that diet tinge.

*cats or dogs?
Dogs. In theory.

*if i'm very sweet will you leave your collection to me? i'm a new collector so i don't have much you know. ::bats eyelashes prettily::
Very tempting, but well, my sons have dibs, although they're not yet old enough to read King. If it turns out they don't have any interest in him, I'll keep you in mind. ;)

Brice
09-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Patrick! :D

Okay, the evil question for a collector first. Life circumstances force you to sell all your books except for ONE, which do you keep?

Not a question, but a while back you sent me a very special book. I was very touched by your kindness and generosity. You should know every time I touch it or even look at it on the shelf I think of you and smile because of it. In short the gift was much more than the book itself. You're a pretty damn awesome guy. One day I look forward to drinking a whole hell of a lot ofbeer with you.

What's your fondest memory?

What was the first book you loved as a child?

What was the first collectable book you ever got?

Where would you most like to travel to?

How far did you go in school?

Degrees?

You go to have a beer with King. He tells you to pick. What do you pick assuming the bar has any you can name?

What is your favorite song?

What is the first thing you do in the mornings?

What is the last thing you do before bed?

What is the one collectable book you'd MOST like to own? Yes, you must pick only one.

sarah
09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Patrick! :couple:

So you know we live three hours from each other but we have to fly to Vegas to meet. :lol:
:fairy:

Here we gooooo....

Favorite T-Shirt?

Favorite memory in your current house?

The last thing your boys did that made you :rofl:

Best slice you've ever had at Pizza My Heart and do you own the T-Shirt?

Best movie you saw this year?

Favorite restaurant?

Do you take care of your own lawn or hire out?

Do you golf? if so, have you had a chance to play Pebble Beach and/or Spyglass?

see you live in 18 days!!!

wizardsrainbow
09-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Wizard comes back for round 2:

(1) Are you fluent in Spanish?

(2) What exactly do you do for your day job?

(3) What is your perspective on this financial crisis...do we need the $700 bn bail out or do you think we can fix this ourselves (with pain)?

(4) I just cannot imagine that you had a first marriage that didn't work out. From what I can tell, you must be one of the kindest, nicest, good hearted men I have ever known. Are you willing to share briefly why it didn't work out?

(5) Your favorite artist from the DT series is _____?

(6) How far is your commute and what time do you get home from work each night?

(7) Are you the homework and bedtime ritual person in your house?

(8 ) What is your greatest hope/dream for your children?

Thanks Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey Patrick! :D
Hey Brice!

Okay, the evil question for a collector first. Life circumstances force you to sell all your books except for ONE, which do you keep?
It's easy to narrow this down to two. The last two would be:
- the signed/limited "bible and coffin" edition of THE STAND, it is an absolutely beautiful, creative presentation of the book; and
- the signed/limited edition of THE TALISMAN, unlike most books, this one has illustrations by multiple artists which makes it unique, and it is also a very nice two volume presentation.
I guess if I could keep only one though, it would be THE TALISMAN. The other is worth more from a monetary perspective, but THE TALISMAN means more to me as it has always been my favorite King book.

Not a question, but a while back you sent me a very special book. I was very touched by your kindness and generosity. You should know every time I touch it or even look at it on the shelf I think of you and smile because of it. In short the gift was much more than the book itself. You're a pretty damn awesome guy.
:blush: Ah heck, it was fun getting that inscribed to you and surprising you with it. :couple: I'm glad you still like it. I'm really happy I was able to get photos of it happening - that was cool.

One day I look forward to drinking a whole hell of a lot ofbeer with you.
I'll buy the first round, amigo. :thumbsup:

What's your fondest memory?
My wife coming down the aisle at our wedding.
Holding each of my sons right after they born.

The earliest one that I loved would be THE POKY LITTLE PUPPY.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X52I7usfL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

But my favorite childhood book was, far and away, Roald Dahl's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.
http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/charcover1.gif

In fact, just a few days ago I started reading it to my kids at bedtime, a couple chapters a night. It is the exact same book that I held and read as a child.

What was the first collectable book you ever got?
I watched auctions and did some homework familiarizing myself with the market for a while, but when I jumped, I jumped. I bought these four at the same time from the same seller:
S/L of THE WASTE LANDS
S/L of WOLVES OF THE CALLA
S/L of SONG OF SUSANNAH
S/L of THE DARK TOWER
(DT 5, 6 and 7 were matching number, DT 3 was not.)

London in 2010 for the UK edition of the TDT.com gathering.

About 2-1/2 hours from home.

Degrees?
Oh yes! It was really hot there!

You go to have a beer with King. He tells you to pick. What do you pick assuming the bar has any you can name?
Awesome question. I'll go on the assumption that he still drinks beer (I don't know). The easy choice would be REDRUM ALE as we all know it is named in honor of THE SHINING. But he'd probably be put off with such obvious pandering.

So I'd go with Rogue Brewing's version of a "Black and Tan." It's a mix of their DEAD GUY ALE and their SHAKESPEARE STOUT. A winning combination that would, by association, honor both SK as a writer and the genre he loves.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Beer/Beer-Rogue.jpg

What is your favorite song?
Hmmm... That's too general of a question, it depends on my mood. Here's one of my favorite songs though: "All Her Favorite Fruit" by Camper Van Beethoven.

What is the first thing you do in the mornings?
Hit the snooze button.

What is the last thing you do before bed?
Take a leak. (You asked.)

What is the one collectable book you'd MOST like to own? Yes, you must pick only one.
It's tempting to say a Lettered or S/L edition of THE GUNSLINGER or some fancy unique prototype of something, which I suppose is true if cost were not a factor, but those considerations aside: The book I really want is an S/L of SKELETON CREW because it was published in my hometown.

Ok, although those two answers back up there were technically true, obviously I was joking around:
I completed my undergraduate work. Later I took the GMAT (for business school) and did very well on it, but never got around to applying for grad school. I hate filling out applications for anything.

Degrees?
Bachelor of Science in Managerial Economics (a.k.a. "Business")
Minor in Communications
I had been a Biological Sciences major for two years before changing, so I've had a hell of a lot of science for not getting any recognition for it. :lol:

alinda
09-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Great stuff Patrick, it's really neat to find out all these things about you.Thanks for being so candid. I'll now try to think of something to ask you.:orely:

Patrick
09-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Patrick! :couple:
Hi Sarah!

So you know we live three hours from each other but we have to fly to Vegas to meet. :lol:
:fairy:
I know! It's kind of pathetic that that's what it takes. :lol:

Here we gooooo....

Favorite T-Shirt?
A gray t-shirt from Shakespeare Santa Cruz from a season years ago. It has what looks like a Superman logo, but the "S" is their stylized version representing Shakespeare.

Favorite memory in your current house?
Social: Our annual Christmas party.
Family: The boys for about the first hour on Christmas morning and Easter morning.
Private: Sneaking out to the backyard with my wife and a blanket after the kids were asleep upstairs, one warm, starry night... :ninja:

The last thing your boys did that made you :rofl:
My older son mimicking in jest something I said seriously weeks ago, looking all serious and deepening his little 7-year old voice. You had to be there, but it involved an (in my opinion completely unnecessary) expensive purchase my wife was considering.

Best slice you've ever had at Pizza My Heart and do you own the T-Shirt?
I've tried many of their pies, but I'm tried and true "slice of pepperoni."
My sons have their shirts, but although I've been going there since high school I've never owned one.

Best movie you saw this year?
The Dark Knight, without a doubt.

Favorite restaurant?
My favorite local restaurant would be Bittersweet Bistro (http://www.bittersweetbistro.com/) in Rio Del Mar.

Do you take care of your own lawn or hire out?
Right before my second son arrived (five weeks early), my wife demanded that we hire the local guy mowing all the neighbors' lawns to cut ours too. I could still do all the other gardening/yardwork, but this would free up some weekly task time while we had a newborn. I simply couldn't see myself as the kind of man who didn't mow his own lawn, but I relented and agreed that we'd hire someone for "two or three months, at most." That was over five years ago.

Do you golf? if so, have you had a chance to play Pebble Beach and/or Spyglass?I've been to Pebble Beach and Spyglass, and I have a special fondness for Spanish Bay. But unless it's miniature, I don't golf.

see you live in 18 days!!!
Woo hoo! :rock:

Patrick
09-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Wizard comes back for round 2:
I'm ready, Coach! :lol:

(1) Are you fluent in Spanish?
No, my Spanish sucks. It gets better when I go to Mexico and start drinking though. My Spanish-speaking ability peaked around my senior year in high school because I was taking a lot of classes in it and, despite my obnoxious opening post, I really did spend time in a remote village in Panama the summer previous.

(2) What exactly do you do for your day job?
In a nutshell, I manage banking relationships with companies. What do you mean by "exactly"? You want more specifics? Ahem...

I research, analyze and underwrite large, complex banking relationships, including credit structure, terms, conditions, and pricing. I structure, negotiate, underwrite and monitor new and existing relationships in a manner that is market competitive and protects my employer. I develop and book new business. Specifically, I manage a growing middle market portfolio of 20+ commercial banking relationships, including $XXX+ million in credit commitments.

(3) What is your perspective on this financial crisis...do we need the $700 bn bail out or do you think we can fix this ourselves (with pain)?
I don't know that the bailout rejected by the House yesterday is the right answer, but I think our economy demands some level of bailout, but I also think there should be plenty of pain involved or the lessons will be forgotten that much sooner.

(4) I just cannot imagine that you had a first marriage that didn't work out. From what I can tell, you must be one of the kindest, nicest, good hearted men I have ever known. Are you willing to share briefly why it didn't work out?
Thanks, Wiz. :couple: We were just the right combination of magnetic forces to both both repel and attract without getting as close as we should have been and not able to fully break the bond. (I just made up that analogy, by the way.) We were together, off and on, for five years before getting married. Then we split up for good a month before our second anniversary.

(5) Your favorite artist from the DT series is _____?
Rick Berry! Oh, he did The Talisman and other non-DT books... In that case, Michael Whelan! However I really like some of Darrell Anderson's (sp?) work as well. In fact his is the only DT artist's work that I have hanging on the wall at home.

(6) How far is your commute and what time do you get home from work each night?
This summer our office moved to a nicer location, but it is further away, so my commute got longer. It's now about 50 minutes on average. I typically get home about 6:30-7pm. Sometimes much earlier, sometimes much later.

(7) Are you the homework and bedtime ritual person in your house?
How did you know? I assume you are too.

(8 ) What is your greatest hope/dream for your children?
That they remain happy, healthy and compassionate.
All else I want for them will flow from those three.

Thanks Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, David!!!!

Patrick
09-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Great stuff Patrick, it's really neat to find out all these things about you. Thanks for being so candid. I'll now try to think of something to ask you.:orely:
Thanks for taking the time to read the thread, Linda. :couple:

wizardsrainbow
09-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Patrick-

Excellent answer on the bailout question and hopes for your children. And, yes, I am the homework/bedtime daddy at home as well. :cowboy:

Patrick
09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Patrick-

Excellent answer on the bailout question and hopes for your children. And, yes, I am the homework/bedtime daddy at home as well. :cowboy:
Thanks. Working parents need that evening interaction with their kids, and that often means homework/bedtime by default.

I wanted to ask some of your questions back to you, but then I remembered your Spotlight is still upcoming, so I suppose I should wait until then...

Odetta
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Patrick! :wub:

What is your middle name?

What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?

How did you propose?

Have you ever been to Canada?

Patrick
09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Patrick!:wub:
Odetta! Thank you again for switching weeks with me. :couple:

What is your middle name?
Patrick is my middle name, but it's the name I've gone by since the day I was born.

What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
I've had plenty of times - like that coffee spill I walked around with yesterday that I mentioned upthread. Here's one that was far more embarrassing, and shows you what an ass I can be:

When our first son was very little, we went over to some friends for a small birthday party or something. Really they were my wife's friends, I didn't know them very well. The host was clueless to the point of being sort of rude by negligence or oversight. I got cranky about it, but didn't show it.

Later my wife goes into their small son's room on another floor to change our kid's diaper. I go with her, we have privacy, and I basically complain about the host for a while. At some point I look over and see a baby monitor. With the light on. Fuck.

Hoping to hell that the other "listening" end is in the parents' empty bedroom, I return to the little party, furtively looking around. Finally I see it sitting on an endtable in the corner of the living room. Turned on, of course. The living room was loud with activity, and i don't think anyone acted differently upon my return. To this day I have no idea whether anyone heard me, but I'm still very embarrassed when I think about it.

How did you propose?
On one knee.

Have you ever been to Canada?
Yes! Twice, once as a kid and once just after high school.
To Vancouver and Vancouver Island both times. It's beautiful up there.

Randall Flagg
09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Your last meal:
Appetizer-
Entree-
Dessert-
NON-alcoholic beverage-
?

Patrick
09-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Your last meal:
Appetizer-
Entree-
Dessert-
NON-alcoholic beverage-
?
Tonight? Oh...not my most recent meal, but my last meal...ok...

Appetizer - Crab Cakes

Entree - Filet Mignon w/ garlic mashed potatoes, and vegetables steamed and covered in melting butter.

Dessert - a nice Anderson Valley Brewing Oatmeal Stout (you never said dessert couldn't be a beer).

Non-alcoholic beverage: Classic Coke.

This meal makes me think of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Las Vegas - the best crab cake and filet dinner I've ever had. Most impressive is that they repeated the feat a year later the next time I went.

Brice
10-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Not a question, but a while back you sent me a very special book. I was very touched by your kindness and generosity. You should know every time I touch it or even look at it on the shelf I think of you and smile because of it. In short the gift was much more than the book itself. You're a pretty damn awesome guy.
:blush: Ah heck, it was fun getting that inscribed to you and surprising you with it. :couple: I'm glad you still like it. I'm really happy I was able to get photos of it happening - that was cool.

Yes, that was very cool indeed. :D

I'll buy the first round, amigo. :thumbsup:

Okay, you can buy the first round after I buy you one. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X52I7usfL._SL500_AA160_.jpg

Believe it or not, that was the first book I loved as a child too.

Good, maybe we'll get those beers in then.

About 2-1/2 hours from home.

Degrees?
Oh yes! It was really hot there!

Thanks for the answers!

So, what's your first name?

alinda
10-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Ok, now that was the question I was going to ask this morning....
:doh:I'll go back to the old drawing board, as the saying goes. :wtf:

Odetta
10-01-2008, 06:25 AM
If the world were flooded with piss, and you lived in a tree, which tdt.com member would you let up?

PS - I have beer and cookies

Patrick
10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
... I'm really happy I was able to get photos of it happening - that was cool. Yes, that was very cool indeed. :DI'm now thinking I should post the signing photos in your Collection thread.

I'll buy the first round, amigo. :thumbsup:Okay, you can buy the first round after I buy you one. :)Alright.. wait, what did you say? :lol:
How's this? I'll buy the odd-numbered rounds and you'll buy the even-numbered rounds. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X52I7usfL._SL500_AA160_.jpgBelieve it or not, that was the first book I loved as a child too.Apparently great minds think alike even when they're still very young.

Good, maybe we'll get those beers in then.
If not before!

Thanks for the answers!
Thanks for asking, Brice.

So, what's your first name?
James :)

Patrick
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
If the world were flooded with piss,
:scared:

and you lived in a tree,
:dance:

which tdt.com member would you let up?

PS - I have beer and cookies You don't need beer and cookies to be an effective temptress, Odetta.

But ultimately I'd have to let All_Hail_The_Crimson_King up into tree... :couple:

...because it would be so much fun to push him off the branch and watch him fall back into the sea of piss.

Patrick
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, now that was the question I was going to ask this morning....
:doh:I'll go back to the old drawing board, as the saying goes. :wtf:

:) No worries, Linda, don't sweat it.

If you really want to ask someone question but can't think of anything
Just copy something you already asked someone else.

wizardsrainbow
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
:wtf::rofl:

Hannah
10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, Patrick!

Do you sing in the shower? If so, what do you sing?

Do you have to wear a suit and a tie to work? If so, what color is your favorite tie?

Darkthoughts
10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you drink much wine?
Best red?
Best white?
Best country, as a wine producer?

Patrick
10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi, Patrick!
Hi Hannah!

Do you sing in the shower? If so, what do you sing?
Not so much anymore. I don't want to wake anyone up.

Do you have to wear a suit and a tie to work?I wore a suit and tie for a lot of years, but now we're 'business casual' most of the time. I still like wearing a suit in the rare instance that I do.

If so, what color is your favorite tie?
My favorite is a red Seven-Fold Tie from Robert Talbott (not to be confused with "Talbot's" stores in seemingly every mall).

But, here, take your pick:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/TieDrawer.jpg

Hannah
10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Is that a picture of your tie drawer? :rofl:

Best response to a question ever. :couple:

edit: I'm compelled to ask you if they are arranged by color and pattern?

Also, my favorite is the purple and green striped and the light blue one in the bottom right corner, second row from the left.

fernandito
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Chivas o America?

:cyclops:

Patrick
10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Do you drink much wine?
Mostly when I go out, not so much at home. Mainly because my wife won't drink much of it, so I'll keep going until the bottle is done. It never occurs to me to put a stopper in it and save some for the next night.

Best red?
A couple months ago I had the 1999 Gaja Sugarille. It was great, but I'm sure my palate isn't refined enough to fully appreciate just how good it really was.

Best white?
I like Rombauer Chardonnay.

Best country, as a wine producer?
Either France or California (yes, I know we're a State not a country).
On the really high end, way above what I can afford, probably France.
Within my budget, California.

Patrick
10-01-2008, 02:51 PM

:D

Kinda sorta, they used to be, but since I rarely wear them anymore...

Also, my favorite is the purple and green striped and the light blue one in the bottom right corner, second row from the left.
Such good taste! I used to wear that purple and green one a lot, I love the shade of those two colors. Much earlier, I used to wear that other purple and green one (with the squiggly stripes, first tie in the second row from the top) but that was a long time ago.

My favorite is the red one in the front row, second from left. The camera flash kind of messes up the color, it's a beautiful tie.

I'm pretty partial to the cigar tie as well in certain situations.

By the way, all except two of the ties are Robert Talbott (http://www.roberttalbott.com/index.html).

Patrick
10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Chivas o America?

:cyclops:
Cuervo.

Letti
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
My turn:

What was the best thing that has happened to you in the last 7 days?

Who do you feel the closest to yourself in your family?

What would you do if you had to spend one year on a deserted island and your only friend would be a coconut? Would you enjoy it?

Which is the book you are the most proud of from your collection?

What's your favourite bookmark?

When did you start running? I mean when did you start to do it as a sport?

Do you wear any jewels?

If you would be a child (about 10-year-old) again for a day what would you do?

Do you remember your first day at school? What was it like? Were you a popular kid?

Have you ever been slapped by a woman? If so why?

Why is life good?

:rose:

wizardsrainbow
10-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Oooooo, such good questions Letti!

<wiz patiently waits for Patrick to wake up on the left coast. WAKE UP!>

Letti, make a mental note to yourself to ask me about my daughter's birth when it is my turn in the spotlight a month from now. Good story.

gsvec
10-02-2008, 05:43 AM
GREAT questions, Letti!!

Hannah
10-02-2008, 07:06 AM

:D

Kinda sorta, they used to be, but since I rarely wear them anymore...

Such good taste! I used to wear that purple and green one a lot, I love the shade of those two colors. Much earlier, I used to wear that other purple and green one (with the squiggly stripes, first tie in the second row from the top) but that was a long time ago.

My favorite is the red one in the front row, second from left. The camera flash kind of messes up the color, it's a beautiful tie.

I'm pretty partial to the cigar tie as well in certain situations.

By the way, all except two of the ties are Robert Talbott (http://www.roberttalbott.com/index.html).

So there's a Robert Talbott store right down the street from me (Nordstrom's). I love ties. There's something about a guy in a suit and tie. And what's really hot is when he's jacketless, with his sleeves rolled up. Like he's all working all hard on his business and stuff.

Patrick, business casual is ruining America. Men should be required to wear at least dress shirts and ties to work.

Tiffany
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
If you had to be a woman for one day, what's the first thing you'd do after look at your own boobs? No. Seriously, stop playing with your boobs and do something else. What is it you choose to do?

Do you have a favorite ethnic food? Greek, Italian, Mexican, whatever?

Do you have a lead foot or do you drive like a granny?

Can you grip things with your toes?

Do you have a "man room" in your house, and if so, how is it decorated? If not, how would you like to see it decorated? Classical, modern, or would it be strictly sports, maybe utilitarian?

What's your one piece of advice, just one, to give to the younger generation?

Patrick
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah, yeah, you just wait 'til we get to Vegas in a couple weeks.

You'll be all, "Dude, I'm exhausted, it's 3am where I'm from."

And I'll be all, "Have another drink, muchacho, it's only midnight!"

GREAT questions, Letti!!
Ok, ok, I'll take a look at the questions now...

wizardsrainbow
10-02-2008, 12:04 PM

GREAT questions, Letti!!
Ok, ok, I'll take a look at the questions now...

Who is planning to sleep that weekend? Slacker >< :lol:

Daghain
10-02-2008, 12:06 PM

Patrick
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
My turn:
And you can always come back for seconds. :)

What was the best thing that has happened to in the last 7 days?
My wife told me to book a trip to Vegas for the TDT.com get-together! :rock:

Who do you feel the closest to yourself in your family?
I'm sorry, but I'm unclear. Who am I closest to emotionally, or who am I most like?
Shit, both of those are hard questions no matter which you're asking.

What would you do if you had to spend one year on a deserted island and your only friend would be a coconut? Would you enjoy it?
I'll go on the assumption that I'd have no boat, no motor car, not a single luxury. Like Robinson Caruso, as primitive as can be.

I'd have a good time for about a week, then I'd have a really tough month coming to grips with my predicament, then I'd settle into some level of routine and find comfort in that. Then one day out of sheer boredom I'd crack open the coconut to drink the milk and eat whatever you call that stuff inside coconuts. Afterward I'd be depressed because I'd killed my only friend. That depression would turn to introspection based on the realization that I was apparently capable of homicide, something I'd never known about myself. Then I'd go see what was on TV and be pissed when I remembered I didn't have one. I'd get over it though. Just after sunset, I'd go nightswimming.

Which is the book you are the most proud of from your collection?
As far as my collectible books, I'm not sure I'd say I'm "proud" of any of them, although I certainly have my favorites as discussed earlier. Virtually none of my "offline" friends know about my collection, so I don't show it off or anything at home. However I love talking with people who actually find them interesting - which is primarily here at TDT.com.

I'm most proud of my old, beat-to-crap hardcover edition of CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, mainly because I managed not to lose it in all my moves since 3rd grade (or maybe it was 2nd). It still has my name written on it from when I was a kid, and where I shaded in with a pencil the imprint of the title on the front cover (the dustjacket is long gone decades ago). It reminds me of being happy and full of wonder. And I love that, as mentioned upthread, I'm now reading that exact same edition to my own young sons.

Upthread I answered Wizardsrainbow's question about what would be the one I'd keep if I had to sell my collectible books. But if I had to get rid of every one my books, collectible or not, this old book that would be lucky to fetch a nickel at a yard sale would be the last to go.

What's your favourite bookmark?
I have this bookmark that my older son made a couple years ago when he was in preschool or Kindergarten. It is made from random scraps cut from magazines and has no artistic merit whatsoever. But it has his handwritten name on the back and it's laminated.

When did you start running? I mean when did you start to do it as a sport?
Well, ever since our kids were born, I was getting bigger and unhealthier seemingly by the day. Finally on the spur of the moment I joined an organization here in the U.S. called Team in Training (http://www.teamintraining.org/tnt2008/2/) which is part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (http://www.lls.org/hm_lls), which focuses on fighting blood cancers.

In a nutshell a group of volunteers trained me to participate in a marathon and, in return, I raised over $3,000 for LLS along the way. I started running on August 5, 2006, and I mean I started from zero that day. I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles or 21.1 kilometers) in October 2006, and my first full marathon (26.2 miles or 42.2 kilometers) on December 10, 2006. After that, my season with the Team was over, but I'm still friends with the group I trained with.

In the two years since I started running, I have completed 8 half marathons and 6 full marathons. I'm old and slow, but I always cross the finish line. Being a bit burnt out after all that, I've been taking the last couple months off and my waistline shows it.

Do you wear any jewels?
Only my wedding ring. Not even a watch.

If you would be a child (about 10-year-old) again for a day what would you do?Go hang out with my kids. Once I got over the weirdness of it, that would be a blast.

Do you remember your first day at school? What was it like?
Holy moly, I think maybe I do remember my first day of Kindergarten!
My mom walked me to school, and I remember being scared of the big room with all the people (parents and kids) because I knew I was going to be left there. Kindergarten got better thereafter though, so it's all good.

Were you a popular kid?
Oh hell no. I had a fair amount of friends but I was never part of the popular "in" crowd. I was too dorky for that.

Have you ever been slapped by a woman? If so why?
Odds are that my mom slapped me at some point when I was a little kid, does that count?

Why is life good?
Because people like you are in it.

Patrick
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM

Who is planning to sleep that weekend? Slacker >< :lol:
Hey! That was my point, dammit!

Letti
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
o do you feel the closest to yourself in your family?[/B]
I'm sorry, but I'm unclear.
Who am I closest to emotionally, or who am I most like?

You know what?
Both.

Patrick
10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
... By the way, all except two of the ties are Robert Talbott (http://www.roberttalbott.com/index.html).
So there's a Robert Talbott store right down the street from me (Nordstrom's). I love ties. There's something about a guy in a suit and tie. And what's really hot is when he's jacketless, with his sleeves rolled up. Like he's all working all hard on his business and stuff.

Patrick, business casual is ruining America. Men should be required to wear at least dress shirts and ties to work.
Yes, Nordstrom's is a great place to find Talbott. :thumbsup: I bought mine slowly over a long period of time and got rid of my earlier, lesser ties along the way. Now I rarely wear any of them.

His sleeves are rolled down and his jacket is on, but here's a much younger and better-looking Patrick ready for business.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/d568791c-1.jpg

Patrick
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
If you had to be a woman for one day, what's the first thing you'd do after look at your own boobs? No. Seriously, stop playing with your boobs and do something else. What is it you choose to do?
Only one day? I'd go try to find an attractive woman with whom I could have a hot, meaningless lesbian fling.

Do you have a favorite ethnic food? Greek, Italian, Mexican, whatever?
Oh good, an easy one. I love ethnic food, but Mexican is my all-time favorite.

When I was still in the single-digit age range, I wrote a story, with illustrations, called "The Taco Man." You know the stereotype of guys who sell fenced goods - they open their big coat and you see a bunch of watches hanging everywhere on the inside? Well, this guy had a coat like that, but it was all full of tacos.

Do you have a lead foot or do you drive like a granny?
Did the DMV show you my driving record? :panic:

Can you grip things with your toes?
Oh yeah. I can pick things up without stooping over. That commonality with primates is one of the reasons I believe in evolution.

Do you have a "man room" in your house, and if so, how is it decorated? If not, how would you like to see it decorated? Classical, modern, or would it be strictly sports, maybe utilitarian?
Shit, I wish. I'm not a huge sports fan, so it would probably lean toward the utilitarian, with at least one big wall map of the world and a Michael Whelan print (I don't own either now).

What's your one piece of advice, just one, to give to the younger generation?
Brush your teeth regularly and do it right. I never got my first cavity until I was in my 30's.

Daghain
:drool:

alinda
:wub: wow, once again I am speachless!

Huba-Huba!!

Patrick
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
:drool:

:wub: wow, once again I am speachless!

Huba-Huba!!
Thanks, Daghain and Linda. Just keep in mind that that photo was taken over ten years ago.

Letti
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Why is life good?
Because people like you are in it.

... :wub: ... thank you

Thank you for answering.
This thread is a gift.

Patrick
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Who do you feel the closest to yourself in your family?[/B]
I'm sorry, but I'm unclear.
Who am I closest to emotionally, or who am I most like?

You know what?
Both.
I knew you'd say that. :doh: :lol:

I assume you are talking about blood relations, not my wife. Growing up I was more like my mom. As I've gotten older I am more like my dad (or maybe we've sort of both moved toward the middle in terms being more like each other in some respects). I was always able to talk to my mom about emotional stuff for understanding, not really with my dad. He's a good man, but was always more coldly logical about that stuff. He's softened up a lot over the years in terms of expressing emotion, which has really come out since we made him a grandfather.

Patrick
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you for answering.
Thank you for asking. You know, Matt said in his thread that he is quite the "Chatty Cathy." Looking at my answers thus far, apparently I am too.

This thread is a gift.
Yes, it is, and I'm receiving far more than I'm giving. So thank you, everyone.

Hannah
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
... By the way, all except two of the ties are Robert Talbott (http://www.roberttalbott.com/index.html).

Yes, Nordstrom's is a great place to find Talbott. :thumbsup: I bought mine slowly over a long period of time and got rid of my earlier, lesser ties along the way. Now I rarely wear any of them.

His sleeves are rolled down and his jacket is on, but here's a much younger and better-looking Patrick ready for business.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/d568791c-1.jpg

I wonder if you're reading my mind and had these pictures at the ready because you knew I'd be asking questions relating to your ties and your suits? :lol:

Regardless of age or suit, you're one handsome guy! :D

Patrick
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
The random array of crap that I've scanned over the past few years boggles the mind. :lol:

Thanks, Hannah, that is very nice of you to say. Maybe someday I'll post a current photo and you can see how wrong you are.

gsvec
10-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Is it 'someday' yet? :evil:

Nerak
10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Aw, Gretchen, it's not all THAT good looking! :lol:

j/k

Patrick
10-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you, Gretchen, for the implied compliment.

Karen, :cry:

gsvec
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
It was just an innocent question! :lol:

And you're welcome, Patrick . . .

Patrick
10-02-2008, 04:33 PM

----------

Ok, this was taken within the last two months.

Bleary eyed, shirt all untucked, needs a haircut, this guy's a mess.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/RedRoom1.jpg

I warned you it wouldn't be pretty. Next time maybe you'll listen to me.

Odetta
10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
you look my exboyfriend in that picture... but I won't hold it against you

wizardsrainbow
10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Shoot, even I'm in for that! You were one hansome Dude Patrick and actually still are! (Man hug from wiz)

NeedfulKings
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow, I'm late!! This is actually the first "questionaire" I've read and I did enjoy it. I think I'll go read more!!! :D :D :D

Anyhoo...I enjoyed SO many of your answers...everything from Charlie and the C.F. to the coffee stain on your shirt. :evil:

Two quick questions:

If there were a movie made about your life, what genre would you want it to be?

Who would you want to play "you?"

Cheers!!!!!!

http://orangecounty.redfin.com/blog/files/2007/08/cheers-three-mugs.jpg

Daghain
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Aww, look, disheveled and drinking - what's not to love?

You're still cute, Patrick. :wub:

Patrick
10-02-2008, 11:16 PM
you look my exboyfriend in that picture... but I won't hold it against you
Um... sorry? :unsure:

Shoot, even I'm in for that! You were one handsome Dude Patrick and actually still are! (Man hug from wiz)
Well, that's the pot calling the kettle black. You'll get your man hug in a couple weeks, Tiger.

Aww, look, disheveled and drinking - what's not to love?

You're still cute, Patrick. :wub:

Thanks, Irish Dawn. :couple:

Patrick
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Wow, I'm late!! This is actually the first "questionaire" I've read and I did enjoy it. I think I'll go read more!!! :D :D :D
Hi Bill! Nah, you're not late, it's still my week.

Anyhoo...I enjoyed SO many of your answers...everything from Charlie and the C.F. to the coffee stain on your shirt. :evil:
Glad you've found this thread entertaining. That's all I could ask. :couple:

Two quick questions:
Maybe for you, not necessarily for me. :lol:

If there were a movie made about your life, what genre would you want it to be?[/B]I suppose it would be a comical biopic with elements of road movie, romantic comedy, and disaster.

Who would you want to play "you?"
I'll go with Patrick Dempsey. He's age-appropriate (only ten months younger than me). And he's a lot better looking, so I'd benefit by association.

Cheers!!!!!!
Salud!

http://www.mingara.com.au/media/Lounge%20Beers.jpg

Odetta
10-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Do lies make baby Jesus cry?

Hannah
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM

----------

Ok, this was taken within the last two months.

Bleary eyed, shirt all untucked, needs a haircut, this guy's a mess.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/RedRoom1.jpg

I warned you it wouldn't be pretty. Next time maybe you'll listen to me.

pfft... you know you're hot, otherwise you wouldn't have posted that semi-drunk picture of yourself.

:huglove:

Matt
10-03-2008, 06:52 AM
That's always a clear indication. :lol:

Patrick
10-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Do lies make baby Jesus cry?
Only the mean ones.

Daghain
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Patrick
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
pfft... you know you're hot, otherwise you wouldn't have posted that semi-drunk picture of yourself.

:lol: Thanks, Hannah, but no. I don't think I'm ugly, but I think I'm far from "hot".

Since we opened this site, I've posted maybe three photos of myself prior to opening this thread. I'm far from a pic-whore, but I'll stop now.

wizardsrainbow
10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Patrick, will you be my whore in Vegas? :lol:

Hannah
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM

:lol: Thanks, Hannah, but no. I don't think I'm ugly, but I think I'm far from "hot".

Since we opened this site, I've posted maybe three photos of myself prior to opening this thread. I'm far from a pic-whore, but I'll stop now.

I will give you the cold shoulder in Vegas unless you take that back. :nope:

Patrick
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, you are the only person to offer me a warm bed... and now that I think about it, you never actually said there would be two of them in the room, so maybe I just assumed it... Uh oh. :panic:

Daghain
10-03-2008, 01:32 PM
:rofl:

Patrick
10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
... Since we opened this site, I've posted maybe three photos of myself prior to opening this thread. I'm far from a pic-whore, but I'll stop now.I will give you the cold shoulder in Vegas unless you take that back. :nope:
Damn. Ok. I'm posting this only under duress.

A recent photo for Hannah.

I call this one: "Can we put the camera away now?"

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/SBlunch070808-2b.jpg

Daghain
10-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Hannah
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
You look pissed. :lol:

Now you need to post a happy picture.

Nerak
10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Miscellaneous/SBlunch070808-2b.jpg

:wub:

How U doin?

gsvec
10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr341/ferrjo/joecool.jpg

Patrick
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
:lol: Thanks, you three. :grouphug:

wizardsrainbow
10-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Well, you are the only person to offer me a warm bed... and now that I think about it, you never actually said there would be two of them in the room, so maybe I just assumed it... Uh oh. :panic:

He he he he. Only the Shadow knows! :wtf:
Ladies, do you REALLY think I was gonna let you get your filthy little hands on this dreamboat? :drool::nope::nope::nope: Think again sisters!

Are you kidding? Paul Newman and Patrick in the same room. I don't know if Vegas can handle it!

Unfortunately, I look NOTHING like Paul. Now there was a handsome man.

Nerak
10-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Nope, Wiz, you are BETTER LOOKING than Paul :wub:

Daghain
10-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Seconded. :)

Patrick
10-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Thirded, you handsome devil.

It sure is a relief that even though it's still my week, I don't have any pesky questions to answer.

wizardsrainbow
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
:huglove: to all of you. :blush:

Well, Patrick, since you brought it up....

(1) Jerome's usual question (perhaps I missed it in your spotlight....where is the most unusual place you've made whoopie?

(2) Were you in the room for the birth of your children and describe your emotions at the time?

(3) Are you scared of anything?

(4) Does the toilet paper in your house roll off the top or the bottom?

(5) Who wins more of the arguments in your house, you or your bride?

(6) Ultimate World Series would be ____ vs. _____?

Thanks man.

Patrick
10-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, Patrick, since you brought it up....

(1) Jerome's usual question (perhaps I missed it in your spotlight)....where is the most unusual place you've made whoopie?
No, no one has asked me that. Hmmm... In a Toyota Corolla (those original models were really small). The beach. The bathroom floor at a New Year's Eve party. In the ocean. In my backyard. Pick one.

(2) Were you in the room for the birth of your children and describe your emotions at the time?
Yes, I was in the room for each of them.
Our first was induced, no epidural. Our second was cesarean.
Our first was 4-1/2 weeks early, our second was 5-1/2 weeks early.
Each of them went into the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) for a little over a week.

At first, my emotions were awe, wonder, pride and general concern (all of those for both the baby and my wife each time). Quickly mixed in were fear and confusion when our first went into the NICU as that was not expected, and that intensified as it became clear that he'd be there a while. With our second, it was fear, but not so much confusion because we kind of knew that the NICU was a strong possibility. A week or so in the NICU doesn't sound like it would be much time, but try putting your newborn baby there for that long. We have friends whose son was there for months. I can't even imagine.

I don't listen to pop music (or whatever genre this would be), but one random day a couple years ago I downloaded the free iTunes song of the week. I didn't know the group nor what the song was about until I listened to it. It still kind of gives me goosebumps, in a sad sort of way. The song is "Wires" by Athlete. I don't know, it may be a cheesy song to anyone who hasn't had to go through that experience.

My younger son continued to have serious asthma and breathing issues for the first few years of his life. If he got the least tiniest bit sick, he would totally tank. He was pretty much a walking pharmacy all the time, with really potent stuff that you'd really not have in a kid that young. Inevitably he would end up in the hospital every couple months for a couple days. Thank God those days are behind us.

One thing that my sons' birth, early days, and, in the case of my younger son, his early years, brings home to me, very forcefully, is humility. Sometimes we have so little control over things that matter so much.

Ok, I've wandered far enough away from the original question. Thanks for indulging me.

(3) Are you scared of anything?
Not particularly, other than the usual parental fears of something bad happening to my children. I'm not over-protective.

Over. The other way irrationally bothers me.

(5) Who wins more of the arguments in your house, you or your bride?
I've always hated arguing so my tendency is to try not to start them and to try to end them quickly. That's not necessarily healthy, but it's my inclination. So in the early years, I would have said her. I've learned to argue, so now they're probably more even. Mainly though, we tend to be better at accommodating each other in general.

(6) Ultimate World Series would be ____ vs. _____?
Giants vs. the A's. This time without a devastating earthquake.

Thanks man.

gsvec
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM

:clap:

wizardsrainbow
10-06-2008, 06:13 AM

:clap:

:angry: I prefer under! I love this question, because bizarrely most people have a definite preference!

Brice
10-06-2008, 06:16 AM
I know! :lol: I've always thought it was strange though. I am fine with however someone wants to hang it as long as there is some.

sarah
10-06-2008, 07:15 AM
brice, :rofl:

Patrick, where would you go, within a two hour driving distance, for a weekend getaway with the lovely wife?

Have you ever stayed in Carmel and walked up and down Ocean Street eating and drinking as you go?

Patrick
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Gretchen, :thumbsup:

Wiz, I'm going to have to rethink this business about sharing a room with you now. :lol:

Brice, thanks for putting the matter into perspective.

Patrick
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
... Patrick, where would you go, within a two hour driving distance, for a weekend getaway with the lovely wife?
I'd say Napa Valley, but that's a more than two hours away, closer to three.
So I'll say, one of those hotels down on Big Sur coastline.

Have you ever stayed in Carmel and walked up and down Ocean Street eating and drinking as you go?
Because it's so close I've only stayed in Carmel twice. The more "recent" time was on our wedding night.

As far as Ocean Avenue, I've spent a lot of time there having a great deal of fun, including more wine than I'd care to admit.

alinda
10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Ahhh, I finally think of a good question for you and NOW I find out you are already married! :cry:
Ok, seriously, do you believe in ghosts, and have you ever seen one?

Patrick
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Ahhh, I finally think of a good question for you and NOW I find out you are already married! :cry:
Awwww, thanks. :couple:

Ok, seriously, do you believe in ghosts, and have you ever seen one?
I have never seen one. I cannot say that I believe in them, however I am open to the possibility that they exist.

Brice
10-09-2008, 04:40 AM
What is the cruelest thing you've ever done?
What is the kindest thing you've ever done?
What is the cruelest thing ever done to you?
What is the kindest thing ever done for you?

Patrick
10-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Damn, those are hard. I'll be thinking about Brice's questions for quite a while.

Brice
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I know how you feel Patrick. Right after I posted these in everyone's threads. Someone evilly posted them for me to answer. :lol: I hadn't thought about how hard they were till I was asked them.

Patrick
10-11-2008, 10:45 PM
What is the cruelest thing you've ever done?
What is the kindest thing you've ever done?
What is the cruelest thing ever done to you?
What is the kindest thing ever done for you?
Damn, those are hard. I'll be thinking about Brice's questions for quite a while.
I know how you feel Patrick. Right after I posted these in everyone's threads. Someone evilly posted them for me to answer. :lol: I hadn't thought about how hard they were till I was asked them.Yeah, I would have asked if someone else hadn't. :lol:

Cruelest thing I've done: I was mean to my older sibling when I was a little kid in a way that I knew I could deny, but he would have no credibility with our parents. Basically they believed me not him. I still remember and I still feel bad about that.

Kindest thing I've done: What may qualify as the kindest stuff, from my perspective doesn't really feel that way. I'm uncomfortable tooting my own horn.

Cruelest thing done to me: Kids could be really mean back in my day. So could my first wife.

Kindest thing ever done for me: People who have shown me patience and/or forgiveness when I really didn't act like I deserved it.

Letti
10-14-2008, 01:00 AM
If you could ask one question from God (if there is any) what would it be?

Darkthoughts
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Have you ever really looked forward to something, had it hyped to you by those who have "been there and done that", then finally done it yourself only to be disappointed?

Patrick
10-14-2008, 10:27 PM
If you could ask one question from God (if there is any) what would it be?
"What will be the winning numbers for Saturday's night's SuperLotto?"

or

"What future mistake do you recommend I avoid making?"

Patrick
10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Have you ever really looked forward to something, had it hyped to you by those who have "been there and done that", then finally done it yourself only to be disappointed?
Yes, more than once. The most recent example that comes to mind is the movie, "Pineapple Express." I really liked, but I didn't love it as I was lead to believe I would.

When I was a kid I was the repeated victim of overinflated advertising claims in the back of comic books. In the summertime I would take my measly odd job earnings, send away for supercool things like the 6-foot tall Frankenstein and such, wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery getting more excited with each passing day. Without fail, everything was crap.

Darkthoughts
10-15-2008, 05:20 AM
When I was a kid I was the repeated victim of overinflated advertising claims in the back of comic books. In the summertime I would take my measly odd job earnings, send away for supercool things like the 6-foot tall Frankenstein and such, wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery getting more excited with each passing day. Without fail, everything was crap.

:rofl: So glad you put that, it's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of!

sarah
10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
besides meeting Jae Lee, what was the best part of Vegas?

What was the funniest part?

Patrick
11-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey, how did I miss this?

besides meeting Jae Lee, what was the best part of Vegas?
Meeting Jae Lee was awesome, but that was not the best part of Vegas. Meeting and spending time with you and the others, most of whom I've known for years now, but never in person.

What was the funniest part?
I'll go with: Walking into the restaurant (that had been my idea in the first place) and finding out that you guys colluded with the waiter and ordered for me off the child's menu. Really there were a lot of hilarious times on that trip. On a side note: I enjoyed signing your high school yearbook on Friday night as well.

Hannah
11-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I just want to add that I read what you wrote in her yearbook and it was hilarious!

Randall Flagg
11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Please share:)

Patrick
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Please share:)
:lol: I have no recollection.