PDA

View Full Version : If you could invent something, ANYTHING, what would it be?

fernandito
09-21-2008, 06:17 AM
If you had the necessary means - research, funds, equipment, team - to invent and build something thats fully functional, what would it be?

Since I have a fascination with dreams and the subconscious, I'd build a machine that can capture/record all of the 'images' in someones dreams and transport onto something (like a DVD and the like) so that you can review them and share them with others.

What would you build?

alinda
09-21-2008, 06:18 AM
A compassion candy, or a cup of *goodmind* tea !:wtf:

turtlex
09-21-2008, 06:33 AM
A time machine.

fernandito
09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Do you have a specific era in mind, turtlex? :fairy:

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2008, 06:42 AM
a machine that would type up my novel for me

gsvec
09-21-2008, 06:43 AM

They have voice recognition software, Liz! You just 'read' it into your PC and it converts it into a Word doc!!

turtlex
09-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Nope. Just the ability to go forward and back. I always thought that would be so cool.

I've got a friend who swears they were born in the wrong century, that the should have lived in "Little House on the Prairie" times - so this would allow them to check that out.

Imagine being places at the time to witness historic events?

( and yeah, I'm a star trek and sci-fi geek - so I know about changing events and the butterfly effect, but this is just talking generally ).

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2008, 06:49 AM

They have voice recognition software, Liz! You just 'read' it into your PC and it converts it into a Word doc!!

yeah but spelling out all my alien words, I might as well type it all myself.... and then that's a lot of time too... so i might as well build a machine to type the other 300+ pages up left..

sarah
09-21-2008, 08:03 AM
I would love to Teleport. Kinda like the the way Anya does it in Season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It looks so pretty.

Odetta
09-21-2008, 08:08 AM

that reminds me of the Tommyknockers mini series!

I would create a replicator. That could replicate people.

Woofer
09-21-2008, 08:16 AM
A clean, 100% renewable source of energy that is compact and suitable for use in all applications.

Hey, we're dreaming, right? Might as well REALLY dream.

Jean
09-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I would love to Teleport. Kinda like the the way Anya does it in Season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It looks so pretty.
YES YES!!! I don't know who Anya is or what she does, but I need it NOW!!!

alinda
09-21-2008, 10:25 AM
would teleport to Jean right away ;)

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I would teleport to see all my dark tower junkies... *le sigh*

Jackie
09-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Something to stop/pause time. I never have enough time for anything ><

fernandito
09-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I've always liked the Neurolyzer (memory-eraser-thingie) from Men In Black, imagine the things you could get away with :evil:

Arthur Heath
09-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Spider Jerusalems (Transmetropolitan Man) bowell disruptor gun. How fun would that be to inflict on people who piss you off.

gsvec
09-21-2008, 11:11 AM
The ability to do REAL magic. I always wish I could twitch my nose like Samantha and take care of anything I needed!

MonteGss
09-21-2008, 12:23 PM

This is what I was going to answer. I want a machine that can teleport you places. All forms of transportation currently available to us are far too slow. It drives me crazy. :)

Nerak
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
a mute button for my kids! :lol:

Letti
09-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Any type of machine that could heal some serious illness we can't heal yet.

Darkthoughts
09-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Feev I want your dream machine!! That would be insane!!

sarah
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM

:rofl: i'll take one of those too. :D

Brice
09-21-2008, 04:48 PM

:rofl: i'll take one of those too. :D

Wow! Are Karen's kids so loud you can hear them out in Cali? :cyclops:

sarah
09-21-2008, 04:50 PM
:lol: good one brice. ;)

leaveittobeezer
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
something that you could attach to the back of your neck to trim that area up between haircuts so you don't have to stand in front of the mirror holding another mirror in one hand and a razor/clippers in the other

jayson
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
something that you could attach to the back of your neck to trim that area up between haircuts so you don't have to stand in front of the mirror holding another mirror in one hand and a razor/clippers in the other

I'll take one. :)

I'd also like an iPod with at least a terrabyte of storage. 80gb is nice, but not nearly enough. I hate having to take things off to put things on.

Girlystevedave
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Since I have a fascination with dreams and the subconscious, I'd build a machine that can capture/record all of the 'images' in someones dreams and transport onto something (like a DVD and the like) so that you can review them and share them with others.

Totally agreed. :thumbsup: I've said the same thing before. BUT, I wouldn't want to limit it to dreams. I have those moments when so many thoughts are running through my head, and I wish I could slow them down or fully capture them to analyze. So, I want something that can hold all my thoughts so that I can make sense of them at some point. :)

Unfound One
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Amanda, sounds like you need a pensieve. :cyclops:

Girlystevedave
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I know! Believe me, when I read about that the other day...I was like: "Someone has the same idea as me!" :excited:

I want one....BAD
:evil:

Ka-mai
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
:lol: I thought of a penseive too, when I read that.

I want a silencer for people and objects. Like all those asshole kids who think they're awesome because you can hear their car two miles away... every time I hear a car like that I immediately think "small penis". :lol: Or like very loud stereos or people whose normal volume is shouting.

Brice
09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Automatic mental internet link so I can just think of sites and go there and think posts and post them mentally.

Letti
09-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Automatic mental internet link so I can just think of sites and go there and think posts and post them mentally.

*laughs* I like typing.
Anyway I would like to invent the cheap laptop so I could type from my bed. It would be absolutely enough for me. :)

Brice
09-22-2008, 05:37 AM

*laughs* I like typing.
Anyway I would like to invent the cheap laptop so I could type from my bed. It would be absolutely enough for me. :)

I know, I don't mind typing, but then I could always be online. :D

...and I could post in every thread at once. :lol:

Wuducynn
09-22-2008, 06:17 AM
A teleporter disrupter/relocator. So anytime someone who teleports and I'm in particularly wicked mood, I can just send them to Fairbanks Alaska or to the Moon or to the bottom of the Atlantic. Or just keep their molecules in some kind of a holding cell until their family gets a couple of million dollars in gold together and sent to my Swiss account.

Ka-mai
09-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Ooh! I want a teleporter so I don't have to drive hours to get places!

cozener
09-23-2008, 04:22 AM
I'd like to invent a Google chip that I could implant into my brain. Either that or a self propelled swizzle stick.

Woofer
09-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Chocolate that is delicious and 100% nutritious.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
An Iron (Wo)Man suit. Oh yeah. I'd totally be flying around and making "phone calls" through my helmet. :lol:

As for something original and non-comic ook/movie based...I'll have to think about it.

fernandito
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Spider Jerusalems (Transmetropolitan Man) bowell disruptor gun. How fun would that be to inflict on people who piss you off.

I'm simeltaneously afraid and compelled to ask - what exactly does this do? :lol:

An Iron (Wo)Man suit. Oh yeah. I'd totally be flying around and making "phone calls" through my helmet. :lol:

Would said Iron (Wo)Man suit feature a slimmer waist and beveled buttocks area? :fairy:

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Haha, yes! And instead of a cod-peice I would have 80's style Maddona boobs--just less pointy.

fernandito
09-26-2008, 11:46 AM
You could shoot the missiles from there! It would give the term 'bazookas' a whole new meaning! :D

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
:rofl:

I'll take that into consideration when briefing my research & development team.

alinda
09-27-2008, 12:28 PM
A car that runs on.......household garbage:orely:

Sam
09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I would invent a machine that would transport us from one place to another on wheels. This machine wouldn't have to be pulled by a horse either. It could pull itself. Plus it would blow cold air on us in the summer and hot air in the winter so we can be comfortable.

Huh? What? Someone else already invented one of them? And everyone already knows about it?! AWWW, SON OF A--- (door slams and a loud muttering is heard followed by the hollow sound of someone beating their head against the log wall.):arg:

razz
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
artificial reality battle program. Think how much better a war could be, if it's fought on a virtual plane, where little to no damage can be done. whoever wins the war acquires a piece of enemy territory.

Mist_on_the_Water
09-27-2008, 06:55 PM
a friend and I had to create something in our Econmics class and create an ad for it on a poster...we created ruby slippers....basically you can click your heels and wherever you go, you'll be taken home. Our slogan was the best: "If your friends are drunk, don't leave them alone, just remind them that there's no place like home!"

was my friend's idea, not mine, but still incredily clever, especially when everyone else did flying cars for an unknown reason.