PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower movie/TV adaptation

Sam - Son of Ian
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum so just thought I'd start a new topic.

Everyone is talking of the prospects for a Dark Tower movie or T.V series, and to be honest I'm getting very excited about it. Some people say it will happen others say it wont, either way I thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

Let’s start with imagining that we as the audience and Constant Readers have all been invited to sai King and Abrams' board meeting to start work on developing the novels into a feature film. I'd like to know who you think should be cast and WHY! I've seen so many dream casts for The Dark Tower and every one of them are flawed somehow (I know mine certainly is). Here are some of my suggestions:

Roland: Big Viggo (obviously) - but that's just it, that may be too obvious - perhaps Gary Sinise (because he has the look, is a wonderful actor and that he played Stu Redman in The Stand is a nice touch I feel). I've also thought that Robert Patrick would be good as he has the eyes and the ability to portray a very cold character. Others have suggested Russell Crowe (too drunk), Hugh Jackman (too much of a hunk), Billy-Bob Thornton (quite good but somehow wrong) and even Bruce Campbell!!! (Too silly)!

Cort: Mickey Rourke, because he knows how to play a badass! Also that face...

Eddie Dean: Don't dismiss this right away... but... Jared Leto. Perhaps this is only due to his performance in Requiem for a Dream though. Another suggestion I quite like is Casey Affleck or Jake Gyllenhaal.

Oy and Mordred: Andy Serkis - No explanation needed I feel.

Ted Braughtigan - Anthony Hopkins due to his performance in Hearts in Atlantis.

Cuthbert: Leonardo DiCaprio due to his ability to portray lovable and strong characters.

These are but a few. I've intentionally left out some obvious characters just to get us started.

My personal thoughts on a film/tv adaptation:

I would prefer to see The Dark Tower made into a film series (similar to the Harry Potter films) - basically a movie per book because I don't think that a TV series could provide the epic scope and feel of the novels. I think it should encompass every major character and not deviate too much from the plot of the novels. Also, the sections depicting Roland's childhood and and teenage years should remain when and where thy occur in the novels - I think the Marvel Comics tell the story well from Roland's humble beginning but could you imagine a Dark Tower movie that DIDN'T start with that opening sentence?

I understand that for commercial purposes a film adaptation would require a 12a certificate. This would mean that a lot of the sex/sex references would be cut, as well as the whole thing about Jake taking up smoking. However, most of the violence and "scary bits" should remain. Films with a similar rating (such as LOTR and The Dark Knight) are examples to follow.

Although trying to come up with a dream cast for such a project is fun, I would trust Abrams (if it is he who shall develop the film) to cast upcoming talents (see Lost, Alias and Cloverfield).

Also I would like to see The Dark Tower film adaptation make use of animatronics and puppetry as well as digital effects. It can and will work (Hellboy), plus this is a fantasy epic and one of my favorite fantasy films is The Neverending Story.

Please post your thoughts and opinions on the above.

Thankee sais, long days and pleasant nights.