PDA

View Full Version : What SK book would you choose for a bookclub selection?

steph
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I am a member of an online book club. I don't know when it will be my turn to pick, but I want to be ready.

The club is mainly women, 25-40 years of age. Liberal, college educated, from various parts of the worlds, but primarily US and Canada. And most are mothers.

I would say The Stand, but some of the members won't have time to read it.
Right now I am thinking Rose Madder. It is one of my faves (excluding DT series).
I wonder if W&G could be an option? To me it is a stand alone book.

What do you all think?

Feel free to offer non SK options also.

jhanic
09-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd suggest Dolores Claiborne. That's one of his best with a woman's theme.

John

Elle216
09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I would say "It" but that's only because I love the book, you might try The Shinning which is great and best of all it's not too "long".

John_and_Yoko
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I would say "It" but that's only because I love the book, you might try The Shinning which is great and best of all it's not too "long".

A Simpsons fan, are we? ;)

I can't really give much of an opinion myself, but the MOVIE based on a Stephen King book that I thought my mother would be most likely to enjoy was Hearts in Atlantis.

Then again, she actually liked Misery, so....

Heather19
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM

:rofl:

I'd recommend The Green Mile, or even The Long Walk.

Elle216
09-02-2008, 04:05 PM

I can't really give much of an opinion myself, but the MOVIE based on a Stephen King book that I thought my mother would be most likely to enjoy was Hearts in Atlantis.

Then again, she actually liked Misery, so....

Isn’t everyone?

JQ The Gunslinger
09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I wud suggest Misery. Who doesnt like that book?

KaLikeAWheel
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Green Mile is a good idea, or maybe Lisey's Story (although that one's kinda thick for a book club). Blaze might work too, it's not too long. Of course, JQ's right, everyone loves Misery. If they're mostly mothers I recommend you steer clear of Pet Semetary. I read Pet Semetary both before and after I had children. After I had children it was much harder to read.

Donna

steph
09-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Misery, hmm, been a long time since I read it. I may try to reread it soon.

ManOfWesternesse
09-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I'd be inclined to try Green Mile too.
Might appeal very well, being more mainstream + a fair chance many will have seen or at least heard of the successful movie adaptation & it might make the more reluctant of them more inclined to 'try' a thathorrorwriter Stephen King book?

John_and_Yoko
09-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Might appeal very well, being more mainstream + a fair chance many will have seen or at least heard of the successful movie adaptation & it might make the more reluctant of them more inclined to 'try' a thathorrorwriter Stephen King book?

:lol:

That still makes me think of the woman who asked Stephen King why he didn't write things like The Green Mile, and then didn't believe him when he said he did write that....

Darkthoughts
09-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I'd go for Eyes Of The Dragon, as I think that has the most mass appeal. It isn't a horror and is an excellent and enjoyable story.
Also, in discussion you could explore many themes - folklore, reoccurring characters, myth and magic in story telling, plot devices etc :)

JQ The Gunslinger
09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
See i think Eyes of The Dragon is too little kidish.

The Lady of Shadows
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
rose madder

bag of bones

lisey's story

all three would provide a wealth of issues to bring up for discussion. :)

Heather19
09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
I agree about Bag of Bones. I can't believe I forgot about it in my first post.

jhanic
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Steph, don't forget to let us know which book you've chosen.

John

3 DOORS DOWN
09-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I would go with

1,Green mile

2,salems lot

3,christine

By the way Misery is one of my least favorite sk books,it took me 4
attempts to finish.

Wuducynn
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I am a member of an online book club. I don't know when it will be my turn to pick, but I want to be ready.

The club is mainly women, 25-40 years of age. Liberal, college educated, from various parts of the worlds, but primarily US and Canada. And most are mothers.

I would say The Stand, but some of the members won't have time to read it.
Right now I am thinking Rose Madder. It is one of my faves (excluding DT series).
I wonder if W&G could be an option? To me it is a stand alone book.

What do you all think?

Feel free to offer non SK options also.

Wizard and Glass is by no means a "stand alone book". Being the fourth book in the series folk would be confused as hell as what was going on. It's worse than taking up a movie in the middle.
Rose Madder is also one of my favorite non-Dark Tower books and I would highly recommend it for your book club.
Also Insomnia, another of my favorites would be a great book for the club.

Jackie
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Misery, The Eyes of the Dragon, Cujo, Pet Sematary, are all good ones and fairly short.

What other books have you read in this book club?

And just out of curosity what IS this book club, like the web site?

Jackie
09-28-2008, 10:11 AM

:lol:

That still makes me think of the woman who asked Stephen King why he didn't write things like The Green Mile, and then didn't believe him when he said he did write that....

:rofl: That's got to be the greatest thing I've heard all day