PDA

View Full Version : Roland's Reaction...

BeDaN
08-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Ok when Eddie passed on in VII, didn't it kind of seem like Roland wasn't to bummed out by it? Or do you think it was more of a rush to get back to King? I was just a bit disappointed that Eddie didn't seem to get as much out of Roland as say Jake did when he went. I know Jake was considered to be like a son to Roland, but Eddie was a very close comrade also and it seemed like to needed to get more from Roland. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Take Care!

Wuducynn
08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Ok when Eddie passed on in VII, didn't it kind of seem like Roland wasn't to bummed out by it? Or do you think it was more of a rush to get back to King? I was just a bit disappointed that Eddie didn't seem to get as much out of Roland as say Jake did when he went. I know Jake was considered to be like a son to Roland, but Eddie was a very close comrade also and it seemed like to needed to get more from Roland. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Take Care!

It seemed like everyone elses grief was overshadowed by Susannah's.

KaLikeAWheel
08-31-2008, 11:53 PM
It seemed like everyone elses grief was overshadowed by Susannah's.

Well put! Also, I think Roland was being strong for Susannah and Jake, IMO.

Donna

Wuducynn
09-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Also, I think Roland was being strong for Susannah and Jake, IMO.

Donna

Yeah, and when he was with Jake and Oy in Jake's final moments, he didn't need to be strong for anyone.

Letti
09-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree with Donna and Matthew. I felt he didn't show his feelings. Like all in his life he hid them and buried them with his loved one.

ManOfWesternesse
09-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Didn't Roland also (and pardon if I'm off the track with this), know that someone in the tet would die that day (ka-shume or whatever it was?). So he knew it was coming - just not which of them it might be?
That would have taken away the shock factor anyway, though not the grief.

KaLikeAWheel
09-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Didn't Roland also (and pardon if I'm off the track with this), know that someone in the tet would die that day (ka-shume or whatever it was?). So he knew it was coming - just not which of them it might be?

True, and perhaps subconsciously Roland was also relieved it wasn't Jake? (Just throwing that idea out there.) He loved the rest of his Ka-tet, but he definitely loved Jake best.

Donna

ManOfWesternesse
09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
.....and perhaps subconsciously Roland was also relieved it wasn't Jake?

Fair point.
Indeed when it came to the time when he thought it WOULD be Jake (with the Van) - he resolved to make sure it was himself & not Jake who went to the clearing.

Letti
09-01-2008, 01:40 AM

It is true and it came to my mind as I was thinking about the question but I don't think it makes any difference. In fact it makes everything even more tragical because if you feel that something horrible is coming and it happens you feel even more guilty.
I mean whatever you feel before if someone dies who you love a lot it's not easier or less shocking.
Just my two cents.
For my part I am sure Roland didn't show his feelings.

Seppe-sai
09-01-2008, 09:34 AM
A lot of good points have been made already. I'd like to add, I also think Roland may have been a little afraid at that point of letting his emotions overcome him. When he and Jake went to clear out the rest of Algul Siento, Jake was surprised that Roland let most of the guards leave, only killing the two that attacked them first. Roland is crying when Sheemie catches up to them. And after being confronted by the ungrateful Breakers, Roland tells them "I've spoken my last word on it, and the next who speaks back to me may remain silent ever after, for one of my friends is preparing another, her husband, to lie in the ground and I am full of grief and rage. Would you speak more? Would you dare my rage? If so, you dare this." At which point he of course draws his gun.

At this point Roland knows there is still another job to do to completely save the Tower. I think he is very carefully and deliberately keeping his emotions in check so he can lead the rest of the tet and the others whose help he still needs. After Jake, his 'job' is done (not his quest, but that doesn't matter to this point), and he can finally give in to his emotions. The Roland that travels to New York with Mrs. Tassenbaum is as openly, nakedly honest about his grief as I have seen him in the entire series.

BeDaN
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Very well put everyone. I completely forgot about the statement about silencing the next to speak. I also believe he was in a haste to get back to the Keystone world to save Sai King because that was extremely important at the time. You guys and gals are great people to discuss books with and I seem to learn something new every time I visit. Thanks again for the discussion and I look forward to speaking with you all again. By the way my real name is Brandon, BeDaN's just my default online handle.

KaLikeAWheel
09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
A lot of good points have been made already. I'd like to add, I also think Roland may have been a little afraid at that point of letting his emotions overcome him. When he and Jake went to clear out the rest of Algul Siento, Jake was surprised that Roland let most of the guards leave, only killing the two that attacked them first. Roland is crying when Sheemie catches up to them. And after being confronted by the ungrateful Breakers, Roland tells them "I've spoken my last word on it, and the next who speaks back to me may remain silent ever after, for one of my friends is preparing another, her husband, to lie in the ground and I am full of grief and rage. Would you speak more? Would you dare my rage? If so, you dare this." At which point he of course draws his gun.

At this point Roland knows there is still another job to do to completely save the Tower. I think he is very carefully and deliberately keeping his emotions in check so he can lead the rest of the tet and the others whose help he still needs. After Jake, his 'job' is done (not his quest, but that doesn't matter to this point), and he can finally give in to his emotions. The Roland that travels to New York with Mrs. Tassenbaum is as openly, nakedly honest about his grief as I have seen him in the entire series.

Good points!

Donna

Jean
09-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I also thought... sorry for reminding of that fourth wall now, it's something I hardly ever do while discussing books... but if Sai King, it addition to what we had to go through (Eddies death, the first of them all, and Susannah's grief), had also dwelled on something heartbreaking coming from Roland, I personally wouldn't have been able to take it. I don't think I would ever find the strength to come back to that particular part of the book if there was anything more to it than there already is.

KaLikeAWheel
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
You may be right, Jean. Eddie wasn't my favorite character, but I barely made it through that scene in the book, and even on re-read it just about kills me! (A little tip...don't read that scene when at work) Even though the scene where Roland buries Jake and Oy says goodbye is the one I find most touching, it doesn't leave me in tears for half an hour after I read it, like Eddie's death does. I hadn't really thought of it before, but I don't think I could have taken it if Roland broke down, too.

Boy I love finally having people to discuss novels with! My husband's a big reader, but he prefers non-fiction. This place rocks!!:grouphug:

Donna

Letti
09-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Very well put everyone. I completely forgot about the statement about silencing the next to speak. I also believe he was in a haste to get back to the Keystone world to save Sai King because that was extremely important at the time. You guys and gals are great people to discuss books with and I seem to learn something new every time I visit. Thanks again for the discussion and I look forward to speaking with you all again. By the way my real name is Brandon, BeDaN's just my default online handle.

Thank you for the great thread, Brandon. Hope to see you around a lot. :rose: