PDA

View Full Version : Needful Things *possible spoilers*

Ves'Ka Gan
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I didn't see a thread dedicated to this book so I thought I'd start one. I just finished the book and I am anxious to talk about it. (I was talking about it to my boyfriend who has neither read that book or any of the other Castle Rock stories!)

So...what did you think? I have to admit when I realized the subtitle to the hardcover was "The Last Castle Rock Novel" I was really disappointed. I feel like I've known the Sherriff and his deputies out at Castle Rock my whole life and I hate to think they won't be dropping in on anymore stories.

I was kind of excited to get a more full version of what happened to Thad Beaumont, though, as in (I think) Bag Of Bones it is casually mentioned that he killed himself, but in describing Alan Pangborn's general attitude and life they give more of the story and I was glad for it.

Annnnyway. I'll probably be back in here to wax on about this book, but I'll give everyone else a chance, too.

theBeamisHome
11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
glad i looked for this topic instead of going and starting one myself. i really want to talk about it too... i'm watching the movie right now... don't know what to say yet tho.. does no one like this one?

Harley2280
11-13-2008, 11:37 AM
How close to the book is the movie?

flaggwalkstheline
11-13-2008, 12:42 PM
i havent seen the movie but the book is one of my favorites, the fight seen between nettie and wilma with the meat cleaver and the hammer is one of the freakiest seens Ive ever read

jayson
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
I didn't care for the movie (I almost never do) but I love the book and rank it high in my list of King's work.

Patrick19
05-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I just finished this a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that of all the SK books I've read, I think I had the most trouble with this one. For me, it was way too slow building up to the Nettie/Wilma brawl and I thought things were really going to get going after that. Instead, it slowed back down for another 100 pages and then finally picked up until the end.
Now, I don't really mind a slow build. I think my biggest beef with the book is the way that it ends (if you haven't read the whole book, don't read any further...)

The face-off with Alan and Gaunt at the end seemed to go a little too far. I understand that we have to suspend disbelief for a story like this (magical items, etc - I can buy all that). But the thing with Alan's magic tricks suddenly having this power over Gaunt. Specifically the paper flowers - he whips them out and suddenly there's this white light that repels Gaunt. Nothing in the book really set that up and I'm not sure if I can swallow that one. Anyone else feel the same?

Jean
05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I got to reread it - at the moment I think that whatever power Alan had over Gaunt came from the same source as in most other cases of King's good guys prevailing over bad guys - namely, the ability to stand and be true (see It or Black House, among others, let alone Callahan's first vs. Callahan's last stand) rather than any kind of superpower, thus all additional objects are mere props devoided of all meaning or power of their own.

I have some problems with the ending, though, and it is the desperate cornyness of its imagery (horses, frying carriage, all that Hollywoodish stuff). Absolutely loved the rest, though, could only wish all buildups were slower so I could savor every little detail...

Melike
05-27-2009, 12:37 AM
I got to reread it - at the moment I think that whatever power Alan had over Gaunt came from the same source as in most other cases of King's good guys prevailing over bad guys - namely, the ability to stand and be true (see It or Black House, among others, let alone Callahan's first vs. Callahan's last stand) rather than any kind of superpower, thus all additional objects are mere props devoided of all meaning or power of their own.

I have some problems with the ending, though, and it is the desperate cornyness of its imagery (horses, frying carriage, all that Hollywoodish stuff). Absolutely loved the rest, though, could only wish all buildups were slower so I could savor every little detail...

This is the explanation in my mind. And I think it really makes sense. Jean, especially Callahan and skölpadda is a great example for this.

I understand why many people doesn't like this scene, but I have to admit that I like it so much that I have a plan to paint that scene for years. *I still need time :)* I don't see it Hollywoodish stuff. I have an image looks like something between surreal/Dali and nighmarish/Henry Fuseli scenes.

The biggest reason for me to love this book is Gaunt which is another adorable villain ran out of King's brain gyruses.

AcidBumbler
06-18-2009, 08:08 AM
I loved Needful Things! Especially Gaunt; King's villains are always interesting. The idea of the shop was, I think, what ultimately sold the book to me, as I have a weird liking for stuff like that. Haha. Eh.. who knows why?

The face-off between Nettie and Wilma was definitely one of my favourite book scenes ever. I have to admit that I honestly didn't expect Nettie to hit back when I first started reading it. I thought she'd end up killing herself or something.

The bit with the giant spider in the necklace made me want to throw up, though... I don't know what I expected to come out, but it wasn't that. Ugh. And when Polly (I did remember her name, right? I can be shoddy with names xD) bit its leg off... AGH :panic:

Also, I found King's portrayal of the gossip-loving small-town women really amusing.

theyspunaweb
06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Excited to read this book sometime soon.

EvaH
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I found a box with a bunch of my old books today. I was so happy Needful Things was in there, I've been wanting to re-read that one. I read it years ago so I don't remember much of the details, it will be like reading it for the first time again. I remember enjoying it and that Gaunt reminded me of my High School History teacher at the time. Creepy dude.

sleeplessdwarf
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I read it when I was 16 I think. I went on a trip with my girlfriend and soon to be inlaws at that time. I loved the book. The trip was 8 hours one way so I gave the gf about 1 hr attention and then the rest to reading. I think it was my 4th King novel so all his work was like gold to me then. :onfire:

soapmaker19
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM
The face-off with Alan and Gaunt at the end seemed to go a little too far. I understand that we have to suspend disbelief for a story like this (magical items, etc - I can buy all that). But the thing with Alan's magic tricks suddenly having this power over Gaunt. Specifically the paper flowers - he whips them out and suddenly there's this white light that repels Gaunt. Nothing in the book really set that up and I'm not sure if I can swallow that one. Anyone else feel the same?

I guess I always thought that it was a typical good vs. evil thing, and the magic tricks having something to do with Alan and his dead son's shared love of magic tricks/joke shop gag items. At least it was more original than if white light from his sheriff's badge repelled Gaunt.

pinkymcfatfat
12-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't think that the thing in Polly's necklace was a spider. My own theory is that it's a grand father flea. Hence it's weird ability to heal.

As for Gaunt himself, he's in all probabilty a 'long-timer' and a 'bumhug'. In his showdown with Gaunt, the fact that he was a 'bumhug' who only could work magic through Glamour was his downfall. Gaunt knew his own magic was fake, Alan believed his was real.

Did anyone else notice in DT7 that a new shop had opened up called 'Answered Prayers'? I think Gaunt was on the move again.

Brice
12-16-2009, 06:02 AM
I never thought of it before a conversation yesterday, but I think Polly's necklace was a nod to Rosemary's Baby. :)

Sam
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
I did noice that when I read it pinky,but I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.

JameseyLefebure
12-19-2009, 05:36 AM
I really enjoyed Needlful Things and the bit with the necklace gave me nightmares for about a week afterwards - properly freaked me out!!! :( :(

I remember enjoying the movie, the way I enjoy any stephen king adaptation - I sit throught, let it finish, then rip it to shred ;)

Jamesey
xxx

Letti
05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
As I was travelling by bus on my way to work I was reading Needful Things. It's interesting to see how maniac people can get about simple objects which are special for them. For me it's quite easy to sympathise I can be quite crazy about things... a book, a guitar, a gadget.
So as I was travelling an interesting question popped into my mind: What would be my needful thing? How would Leland Gaunt try to trap my soul?
I don't know the answer yet but I keep thinking.

But what about you? What would be your needful thing?

Darkthoughts
05-19-2010, 12:59 AM
I love your questions Letti, infact I would love to be a passenger in your imagination for a day :couple:

I'm not sure what my needful thing would be - all the objects in the story were just little nicnacs that people wanted but didn't need, so if we're talking about that sort of thing I'd say mine would probably be a fancy china teacup...I'm really particular about drinking my tea out of certain mugs or cups.

Jon
05-19-2010, 01:47 AM
A top of the line camera.

Cujo56
05-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Interesting question. I went into an antique shop named "Needful Things Antiques" about 20 miles from where I live and couldn't find a damn thing that I wanted.

Letti
05-19-2010, 05:07 AM
I think I have found mine.
A drawing of my favourite poet/artist, Nagy László.
For example this one:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs409.snc3/24722_410827506437_694546437_5489015_7152395_n.jpg
Having it on my own wall... :sigh:
But I guess he could make me quite crazy with some Michael Whelan drawings, too.

Nerak
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
very interesting question.

Mayhap something to do with the post office (my Dad was a mailman) or something that would remind me of my Mom. Or a Rose for my daughter Rosemary.

Dagavidiab
05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
My ipod!

Brice
05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh, I get very excited about things, but in truth in my world they are still just things no matter how wonderful...no matter how much I might treasure them. I have lost EVERYTHING I own so many times that if it really comes down to it I'm fine with nothing. Besides I wouldn't play nasty little tricks on people for new things. That's bad karma. I'd do it for fun though. :evil: :dance: The people I care about are my needful thing. :grouphug:

Damn, that's sappy... but true nevertheless.

Letti
05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
My ipod!

It's not easy to imagine Leland Gaunt holding an Ipod in his hand...

Oh, I get very excited about things, but in truth in my world they are still just things no matter how wonderful...no matter how much I might treasure them. I have lost EVERYTHING I own so many times that if it really comes down to it I'm fine with nothing.
The people I care about are my needful thing. :grouphug:

I really would like to think Leland could never get me with some stupid object but I am not sure I am strong enough.
I feel he used some magic, too. So people got crazy about those things because they wanted them badly and because he used his power. I think most of them wouldn't have had any business with him without the spell. That's why I am not sure about my reaction.

Brice
05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Our buddy Leland would have met his match with me then. There are things I'd like to have, but ultimately they are just things. :)

Ricky
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Would Mr. Gaunt happen to have a pirate ship in stock? If so, I'd pick that.

If not, I'm sure there'd be an SK book I'd want...like The Stand S/L...wait, or is it Salem's Lot? :lol:

Brice
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Oh, surely if it were a King needful thing it would be one of those four or five 1st edition 'Salem's Lot dustjackets.

cozener
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Our buddy Leland would have met his match with me then. There are things I'd like to have, but ultimately they are just things. :)

I'm not interesting in things either...I'm much more interested in thangs...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/fleshbot/2009/01/2009_01_28_AlexisTexas2.jpg

If Leland's got some of these laying around I'm pretty much outta luck.

Yeah...I know you saw that coming... :P

pathoftheturtle
05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, coz, fer sure. lol I somehow doubt that hooking you would be much of a challenge to him.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
SRV's guitar!

candy
05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
you pose the most fantastic quesions letti, i am going off now to think about this. But i love that you made me think about it:clap::rose:

Dagavidiab
05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
My ipod!

That is why it is my Needful Thing and not his...

Sickrose
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Good question indeed. I agree a Needful Thing is something you dont need. What I really need is a new oven since mine is broken but I would go to Argos or somewhere for that. I think it would be some Bob Dylan memorbilia, I dont need any as such but i think I could be persuaded. I think he uses hypnosis; Lelenad not Dylan.

Letti
05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Good question indeed. I agree a Needful Thing is something you dont need. What I really need is a new oven since mine is broken but I would go to Argos or somewhere for that. I think it would be some Bob Dylan memorbilia, I dont need any as such but i think I could be persuaded. I think he uses hypnosis; Lelenad not Dylan.

I think they both do. ;)

My ipod!

That is why it is my Needful Thing and not his...

Well.. you are totally right.

you pose the most fantastic quesions letti, i am going off now to think about this. But i love that you made me think about it:clap::rose:

Cannot wait to read it about your needful thing.

...a fancy china teacup...I'm really particular about drinking my tea out of certain mugs or cups.

Somehow it's damn hard to imagine you getting crazy about some cup. :)

I'm not interesting in things either...I'm much more interested in thangs...

If you ask me thongs are things, too. :P But I might be wrong..

Letti
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
So if Lelant opened a Needful Things shop for DT junkies to be able to control our souls he would need some...
- fancy china teacup
- camera
- ipod
- drawings
- personal memories from the past
- pirate stuff
- thongs
- guitar
- Bob Dylan memorabilia
so far.

Hm, it would be a quite cool/strange shop, don't you think? :D

Brice
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
indeed :D

Quicksilver
05-20-2010, 07:26 PM
A single round for a Barrett Light 50 sniper rifle (this weapon in the hands of a competent operation has made kills at over a mile and can penetrate thin skinned armoured vehicles).....once I got the bullet I would have to find the weapon, determine the intended target and decide if I was going to actually pull the triger on the target.

Letti
05-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I cannot read this thread because I am on page 400 in NT
BUT
I think I have found something that looks like a mistake and I would like you to convince me that it isn't.

We are right after Nettie's tragical death and Polly is wondering about it:
"She would not duck this culpability, not let anyone try to talk her out of it (Alan wisely not even tried) but she was not sure she would have changed what she had done. The core of Nettie's madness had been beyond Polly's power to control or alter, apparently, but she had nevertheless spent three happy, productive years in Castle Rock."

Well as much as I know Alan lost his family (his wife and his kid) 19 months ago.
So... Alan and Polly were not together at the time she tried to get Nettie out of the mental hospital. Am I right or do I miss something? Do you have any explanation? :confused:

Brice
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Anything I want to kill that badly must die slow. :lol:

cozener
05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
If you ask me thongs are things, too. :P But I might be wrong.. But thats not what I..err...oh never mind. Yeah...thongs. <_<

Cujo56
05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Ok, I've thought it over.
My needful thing would be Jack Kerouac's original scroll of "On The Road"

Sickrose
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
[quote=Sickrose;514208]Good question indeed. I agree a Needful Thing is something you dont need. What I really need is a new oven since mine is broken but I would go to Argos or somewhere for that. I think it would be some Bob Dylan memorbilia, I dont need any as such but i think I could be persuaded. I think he uses hypnosis; Lelenad not Dylan.

I think they both do. ;)[quote=Letti;514221]

Good point, I have spent many an hour getting lost in Highway 61 Revisited :)

Jean
05-24-2010, 09:46 AM
oh, absolutely

woodpryan
05-25-2010, 03:11 AM
My needful thing would be a Gibson Les Paul. Oh, god, how I want one.

stone, rose, unfound door
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
That's an extremely good question as usual, Letti.
Like Brice, I don't care about things and I'm having a hard time thinking up something I'd want so badly I'd go to Leland Gaunt to have it.

Letti
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
That's an extremely good question as usual, Letti.
Like Brice, I don't care about things and I'm having a hard time thinking up something I'd want so badly I'd go to Leland Gaunt to have it.

Well the residents of the town didn't go to Leland to have something. They visited him because they were curious and they found their needful thing "accidentally".

05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
You're right but we do know who he is and what he does, so I don't think any of us would get their needful thing from him ;)
You make a good point here: there's no way I can think of that needful thing because I'd have to come across it in the shop.

Letti
05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
You're right but we do know who he is and what he does, so I don't think any of us would get their needful thing from him ;)
You make a good point here: there's no way I can think of that needful thing because I'd have to come across it in the shop.

Yeah, sadly Leland cannot steal our soul. :sadsigh:

Brice
05-26-2010, 01:14 AM
If Leland has a Letti...

:D

Ageless Stranger
05-26-2010, 02:28 AM
I have not read Needfull Things yet. So, sadly I am not able to answer you, Letti.

Letti
05-26-2010, 02:36 AM
If Leland has a Letti...

Wow, just imagine me as I am walking into the shop and I see me on the shelf... :scared:

I have not read Needfull Things yet. So, sadly I am not able to answer you, Letti.

Well, you can read it anytime. :) It's really good.

Brice
05-26-2010, 03:24 AM
If Leland has a Letti...

Wow, just imagine me as I am walking into the shop and I see me on the shelf... :scared:

:rofl:

Ageless Stranger
05-26-2010, 03:48 AM
I will read it, Letti. ASAP!

Brice
05-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Yes, you definitely should.

05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
If Leland has a Letti...

That'd be creepy!

Brice
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
No...creepy would be if just as you saw this you realized you couldn't afford you and right in front of you some stranger came up and bought you off the shelf. :lol:

05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
No...creepy would be if just as you saw this you realized you couldn't afford you and right in front of you some stranger came up and bought you off the shelf. :lol:

Sam
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Are you saying our Letti is high maintenance Brice?:P

Seriously, I don't know what my needful thing might possibly be, but I quite imagine it would have something to do with improving my wife's health.

Letti
05-26-2010, 09:46 PM

:wtf:

I would feel very sympathetic. ;)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-27-2010, 01:44 AM
You are so understanding. I would feel pretty jipped.

Brice
05-27-2010, 02:20 AM

I would not. :nope: I'd have to beat them up and steal the you that they bought. Then I'd take the you that couldn't afford you too. Don't worry though...I'd share you with you...both of you.

Goddamn, I just might be a bit crazy. :lol:

Letti
05-27-2010, 04:20 AM

I would not. :nope: I'd have to beat them up and steal the you that they bought. Then I'd take the you that couldn't afford you too. Don't worry though...I'd share you with you...both of you.

OMG it sounds way too great. So much fun. :couple: Sharing the me with me.. you are really generous.

Not just a bit, a lot but that's why we all are so crazy about you. :wub:

Brice
05-27-2010, 05:23 AM

OMG it sounds way too great. So much fun. :couple: Sharing the me with me.. you are really generous.

Not just a bit, a lot but that's why we all are so crazy about you. :wub:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

:huglove:

Melike
05-27-2010, 06:05 AM
My ipod!

Oh, I get very excited about things, but in truth in my world they are still just things no matter how wonderful...no matter how much I might treasure them. I have lost EVERYTHING I own so many times that if it really comes down to it I'm fine with nothing.
The people I care about are my needful thing. :grouphug:

I really would like to think Leland could never get me with some stupid object but I am not sure I am strong enough.
I feel he used some magic, too. So people got crazy about those things because they wanted them badly and because he used his power. I think most of them wouldn't have had any business with him without the spell. That's why I am not sure about my reaction.

Besides his magic he also remember that except his claws and weird touch, Leland is a very sweet, trustworthy looing guy at first and you would have no idea what he wanted really.

I don't know my answer yet, Letti, but I am going to come back here.

Letti
05-27-2010, 07:10 AM
I am waiting for your answer eagerly, Melike. :)

Melike
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Ok, I came home from work, and I suddenly found out what would be my needful thing.
I remember there was a woman who had bought sunglasses which were capable of showing her Elvis Presley like he was actually there, near her.
Mine would be this, too, but showing someone else instead of Elvis. :D

Letti
05-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Ok, I came home from work, and I suddenly found out what would be my needful thing.
I remember there was a woman who had bought sunglasses which were capable of showing her Elvis Presley like he was actually there, near her.

And you don't let us know who it would be?!?! :panic:

Merlin1958
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
A baseball signed by Don Larsen and Yogi Berra comemorating his World Series Perfect game!!!

Now THAT I NEED!!!! LOL

pathoftheturtle
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
If Leland has a Letti...

Wow, just imagine me as I am walking into the shop and I see me on the shelf... :scared:Isn't that The Stepford Wives?

Brice
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Mememememememe? :hopes: :wub:

Melike
05-28-2010, 03:37 AM

:blush:

:wtf: Ok, it is Brice. :D :huglove:

Brice
05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
:huglove:

Ok, me and Leland might be able to strike a bargain with an all expense paid trip to Europe. :D

Letti
05-28-2010, 04:23 AM

I secretly hoped it would me me :sniff: but now all my dreams are dead. :sniff:

Brice
05-28-2010, 04:25 AM

I secretly hoped it would me me :sniff: but now all my dreams are dead. :sniff:

It's okay, Letti. If Melikey gets a Bricey and Bricey gets a Letti all works out in the end. :grouphug:

Melike
05-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Aww, Letti! :huglove: :grouphug:

Jean
05-28-2010, 04:42 AM
I see you didn't count bears in?.. not a single bear?... not even the smallest?...

Brice
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Bears of course are always welcome. :grouphug:

Melike
05-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Jean :huglove:. :D Ok, ok, I have another and better idea: Sunglasses showing you a .com gathering. :)

Brice
05-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Yes, there are some of you I've been wanting to kidnap see for a long time. :ninja:

Jean
05-28-2010, 05:25 AM
bears want such glasses! bears want such glasses!

Girlystevedave
05-28-2010, 06:09 AM
This thread made me want to read this book. I was pretty sure I had a copy of it, but didn't. Looks like I'm gonna need to get one now.

P.s. I'm not sure if I'd have a needful thing unless my son counts. :unsure:

:lol:

Brice
05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
You MUST read it. :D

Girlystevedave
05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
I think I'll hunt down a copy today. :)

Brice
05-28-2010, 06:19 AM
You should. :) It is great fun!

Letti
05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
This thread made me want to read this book.

In this case it was worth to open it. :)

Girlystevedave
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
^ You are totally right. I think every book has it's own "time" for each person. Apparently, you lead me to my affair with Needful Things. Thanks. :couple:

I bought a copy for $4 at a used book store. (Thank God for those)
I'm about 10 pages in and I can already tell I'm gonna love it. SK just always amazes me with the magic of his writing skills and the way he sets up a story. :)

Brice
05-28-2010, 01:26 PM
:D :D :D

Letti
07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I have finished it. OMG I have no words to describe how impressed I am.

Girlystevedave
07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Yay Letti. :clap:
I finished my first read a few weeks ago and loved it.
I saw a lot of people had issues with the ending, but...seeing as how I've read many SK books, I didn't see it as THAT far stretched.
Anything is possible. :)

P.s. Who else fell in Love with Alan? :wub:

Letti
07-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I am crazily in love with Alan. What a man. :wub:

I was happy to see Leland that weak at the end. It was a big surprise for me.
I liked the end, too. I am not that happy with that horse-flying-over-the-sky stuff but it didn't bother me because the whole story swept me off my feet. I was like o_O from the beginning to the end.

mtdman
08-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I love this book, and SK himself does the narration for the audio book which is a huge plus as well.

What I dig about this book is that there is humor in it. It's almost like a dark comedy. And whereas the deaths in his books are often scary, imo in this book they are almost funny and you find yourself rooting for them to happen. I particularly enjoyed the buildup to the big brawl with the baptists and catholics. That was great. Also the part with the principal and shop teacher was great too. All the setups were great.

Girlystevedave
08-21-2010, 02:20 PM
The setups were great. I thought the intro to this book was brilliant they way the focus was on every single character from the town and you felt like you knew everyone and their backstory in just a matter of pages.
King is brilliant like that. :)

Brice
08-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Exactly! Among King's strongest points is his character development. No matter how insane or absurd circumstances are, his people are real. In fact I know people who seem less real.

WeDealInLead
05-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I really liked Needful Things. At times it felt over-written but the story grabbed me from the beginning. References to other works were neat but I'd have liked the book anyways.

Gotta say it though, collective Castle Rock IQ must be really low if only so few people picked up there was something fishy going on.

Letti
05-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Exactly! Among King's strongest points is his character development. No matter how insane or absurd circumstances are, his people are real. In fact I know people who seem less real.

OMG, this is the quote of the century. I love it so so much. :)

I really liked Needful Things. At times it felt over-written but the story grabbed me from the beginning. References to other works were neat but I'd have liked the book anyways.

Gotta say it though, collective Castle Rock IQ must be really low if only so few people picked up there was something fishy going on.

IMHO they were everyday people with everyday problems and weaknesses. You can be very clever and smart still weak in your soul. And even if you are not weak in your soul we all have our fracture points. Words, dreams, memories that can tear us apart. That can turn our world up side down.
Leland was terribly good at finding these fracture points.

BountyHunter
01-30-2018, 03:54 AM
I just started reading this for the first time (loving it so far) after working my way through all the major Castle Rock stories (I'd read Cujo and the Dark Half before, but not Dead Zone or The Sun Dog). I was wondering if anybody knows if the Polaroid camera in Gaunt's shop at the start of the book was supposed to be Kevin's camera from The Sun Dog?

mae
02-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Here's The Losers Club podcast on the novel, in two parts:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/consequence-of-sound/the-losers-club-a-stephen-king-podcast/e/67154657
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/consequence-of-sound/the-losers-club-a-stephen-king-podcast/e/67332492