PDA

View Full Version : Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King ~ Centipede Press

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

frik
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Excellent!
Any idea if this book will be identical to the upcoming traycased edition with the M. Whelan remarque?

sk

Ben Mears
12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Centipede is producing some incredible books. Seeing those pictures, I can't believe SK wouldn't want Jerad to do a limited of The Shining.

Sam
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
There may be extenuating circumstances on that. Like if some other company owns the printing rights to that book and won't release them for a limited edition to be printed.

I don't have any knowledge... I'm just suggesting a possible hurdle.

Rahfa
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
SK declined the permission for a Shining limited...the stories somewhere in the back of this thread.

Fsmdr
12-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Looks amazing!. I wonder if we will ever see what the $5K deluxe edition looks like?.

Brice
12-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Bob, did you get the deluxe? If so could you please post pics when you get it.

carlosdetweiller
12-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Bob, did you get the deluxe? If so could you please post pics when you get it.

I will be getting one. So far I have only received the standard trade edition (which I REALLY like). Jerad said the deluxe would not be shipping until January.

Brice
12-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I figured you'd almost certainly be getting one. It was a bit too much for me, but I have one of the remarqued books coming. :) I may pick up a trade too later on.

swintek
12-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Got my slipcased edition the other day. Even having the Lovecraft book, and knowing how amazing that one was- I'm still absolutely stunned by this. The quality and scope are simply astounding. This is well worth every penny.

I'd like to thank Bob and everyone else who lent their originals (and time and effort!) to this project so that the rest of us can see this art in the best possible quality. Much appreciated, folks!

Jerad, you are a modern day alchemist. Thanks for this.

Ron

mutantskeleton
12-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Can't wait to see the book. I'm considering doing an article on the process of creating my Mist artwork from the book. It took around 300 some hours. I kept a lot of in progress versions and might do a sort of animation showing it slowly come together from thumbnail sketch on a post it notepad to what it grew into. http://aeronalfrey.blogspot.com/2009/12/mist-artwork-inspired-by-stephen-king.html

From the pictures I've seen, this looks to be the best art book of the year, it's a great honor to be in it.

gsvec
12-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Aeron, I really like your Mist stuff a lot and would love to see a 'morf' version! Still haven't gotten my copy of the book yet to check it out for real - I'm getting very antsy and have to reign myself in every day to NOT send Jerad an email asking when mine will be shipped!

Room 217 Caretaker
12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Can't wait to see the book. I'm considering doing an article on the process of creating my Mist artwork from the book. It took around 300 some hours. I kept a lot of in progress versions and might do a sort of animation showing it slowly come together from thumbnail sketch on a post it notepad to what it grew into. http://aeronalfrey.blogspot.com/2009/12/mist-artwork-inspired-by-stephen-king.html

From the pictures I've seen, this looks to be the best art book of the year, it's a great honor to be in it.

Aeron

Your idea for creating an article on creating the mist artwork and including sketches, things that didn't make it, etc. is a great idea.

What you should do is create this but don't post it anywhere. Have Jerad publish it as a side item "An Artists Notebook to Knowing Darkness"

What a great inside look at what it takes to come up with the finished product.

Just an idea

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

mutantskeleton
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks, that's a very interesting idea.

jhanic
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I just received my slipcased copy of Knowing Darkness a few minutes ago from Jerad. What a massive book!

I had also ordered one of each of the 15 prints that he was selling in conjunction with this and received those also.

I just can't wait to see what the traycased edition will look like!

John

gsvec
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm jealous, John! Mine's still not here . . . :(

frik
12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Aeron

Your idea for creating an article on creating the mist artwork and including sketches, things that didn't make it, etc. is a great idea.

What you should do is create this but don't post it anywhere. Have Jerad publish it as a side item "An Artists Notebook to Knowing Darkness"

What a great inside look at what it takes to come up with the finished product.

Just an idea

Grrrrrrreat idea! Love it!!! :clap::thumbsup:

sk

wizardsrainbow
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I got my remarqued Knowing Darkness over the weekend. While the gift edition itself is huge in proportions and weight (15 pounds), the deluxe traycased version is simply massive! It weighs 37 pounds!

My remarque turned out to be non-DarkTower which I am excited about. Michael did a drawing of a zombie. The remarque itself was loose, mixed with various art prints that Jerad threw in. My traycase corner was scrunched, but Jerad is going to fix me up right away. This massive volume is simply amazing. Here are two pics of my remarque, the second a close up.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Zombie_remarque.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Zombie1.jpg

carlosdetweiller
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice! Michael is really doing a good job on these. I hope to see more soon (including mine!).

Ari_Racing
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Very nice! Congratulations!

jhanic
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Very, very nice! My traycase edition should be here within a couple weeks. I can't wait!

John

Patrick
01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Quality remarque! Congrats, David!

Randall Flagg
01-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Great Trashcan Man.

frik
01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
WoW! I'm impressed! :clap:
Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Hope it makes it safe across the Atlantic.

sk

artan
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Amazing remarque!!!! Congrats David!!!

herbertwest
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
REALLY nice!

bast_imret
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, looks awsome, David!

jhanic
01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I received my traycased edition today. I read about it, but actually having it in hand is fantastic. The sheer size, weight and quality are overwhelming.

Packing was great--a box inside a box inside another box with newspaper packing around it. Absolutely no problems except getting it all open.

I literally have absolutely no idea as to where I'm going to keep it. I think I'll keep it inside the third and last box, but where the heck am I going to put that?

(No, I'm not going to use it as a doorstop either :P)

John

biomieg
01-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I got the slipcased trade edition and we simply put it upright on a side table (back against the wall) between other decorations. It's now literally a piece of art :) I'm sure this won't work for every interior but in our place, it works fine. Also, I framed the signed John Picacio print ('Salem's Lot) and it now graces one of our walls.

carlosdetweiller
01-20-2010, 04:54 AM
I've got a complete collection (I think) of Centipede Press books. Over the years I have given Jerad a hard time (good naturedly, I hope) about the size of his books. They are so hard to shelve after they exceed a certain size.

In truth, I don't always think that bigger is better when it comes to books but Jerad really seems to like to make them big.

Several weeks ago we were discussing this and the topic turned to the deluxe edition of the King art book.

He said: "Oh, you are going to HATE me!"

I can't wait to see mine but have no idea what I will do with it. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Cutter
01-20-2010, 06:02 AM
I've got a complete collection (I think) of Centipede Press books. Over the years I have given Jerad a hard time (good naturedly, I hope) about the size of his books. They are so hard to shelve after they exceed a certain size.

In truth, I don't always think that bigger is better when it comes to books but Jerad really seems to like to make them big.

Several weeks ago we were discussing this and the topic turned to the deluxe edition of the King art book.

He said: "Oh, you are going to HATE me!"

I can't wait to see mine but have no idea what I will do with it. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

I'm with you on this Bob, I think his books are too large sometimes. Especially in the case of Masters of the Weird Tale. Considering those books are all text it is too awkward to actually read. I don't like them at all.

But when it comes to art books, this King one and the Lovecraft one - I like the large size so it can show off the beautiful artwork.

btw, I loved my slipcased edition!

Randall Flagg
01-20-2010, 06:09 AM
I am still trying to figure out how to display my traycased edition. It truly is massive. Right now it sits in the triple box it was shipped in.

Ari_Racing
01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I received my remarqued traycased edition yesterday and I already saw that I don't have a bookcase to display it, so I'm buying a special wood slipcase to put it inside and place it on the top of the best bookcase I have. That way it'll look pretty cool. :)

By the way, when it comes to art, the size of the book couldn't be better!! I think it's one of the best S/L editions I ever saw.

Randall Flagg
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I received my remarqued traycased edition yesterday and I already saw that I don't have a bookcase to display it, so I'm buying a special wood slipcase to put it inside and place it on the top of the best bookcase I have. That way it'll look pretty cool. :)

By the way, when it comes to art, the size of the book couldn't be better!! I think it's one of the best S/L editions I ever saw.
Well......let's see the 'remarque'.

oy-the-brave
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I recieved my traycased copy today and like everyone else even after seeing pictures and hearing descriptions did not prepare me for the book, it is HUGE and the art reproduced is stunning, absolutely fantastic.

Here is my remarque:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/kdwhelan.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Gorgeous!!

willie3
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Oy, that is a fantastic drawing !!! :thumbsup:

Still waiting on mine...

Karl

Ari_Racing
01-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Congratulations! Awesome remarque!

I´ll be able to post pictures of mine as soon as I return from my holidays. Nevertheless many saw it since it's the one were the man in black is holding the card.

Bev Vincent
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I received my copy today -- I broke down and ordered one of the discounted/bumped copies. Haven't opened the box yet, but it's a he-yuge box!

gsvec
01-21-2010, 05:48 PM
OMG - this book is absolutely stunning! Got mine today and am wandering off now to go through it - later!

Fsmdr
01-23-2010, 08:46 PM
I have received my remarqued copy as well. The interesting is, as I was admiring the remarque in my hand, I felt what feels like sandpaper on the reverse side. As I turned it over, to my enormous surprise, there is another remarque on the other side!. Does anyone else have a double sided remarque?. I wonder if one of them is a 'test' remarque?. Although they both looks completed to me.

jhanic
01-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Any pictures, Juliana?

John

Fsmdr
01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Here you go, John.

I think this one is Roland.
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6611/side1v.jpg

Not sure who this is
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5104/page2qe.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Fabulous. I agree the first likely Roland. The second looks like a vampire-someone from The Dixie Pig?

jhanic
01-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Very nice, Juliana. I agree that the first is Roland, but I'm not sure of the second. I thought the Dixie Pig vampires all looked much older. I could be mistaken, though.

John

Sam
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I was thinking maybe Kurt Barlow?

Brice
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Maybe Walter/Flagg???

Patrick
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Love the remarque, Dave!

How fantastic that you received a double-sided remarque, Juliana!

Ben Mears
01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
[/IMG]
I was thinking maybe Kurt Barlow?

This is Barlow...
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Barlow.jpg

Sam
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't think I had seen that picture yet Ben. Things have been quite hectic for me since September. Thanks.

Ari_Racing
01-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Amazing remarques! How lucky, Juliana!

And the one Ben showed, I remember Michael mentioning that Jerad received a request of a Barlow remarque. It was that one the one we saw. :) Amazing!

Here I am with mine:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/525/124.jpg

Fsmdr
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Love the remarque, Dave!

How fantastic that you received a double-sided remarque, Juliana!

Indeed!. Rather strange too that it was rendered on both sides and I know it's not because of Michael's lack of paper!. LOL!. Now I have the happy problem of how to best display it. I might inquire to audrey on the unrecognized remarque.

Love that Barlow remarque and yours is lovely too, Ari.

Sam
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
May I make a suggestion on the display? A double paned picture frame. That is, glass on each side with the picture in the middle. It will take some work and will have to be done by a professional framer, not one of the kids at Michaels, but I think that with the right frame it can be displayed as a rotating centerpiece for your bookshelf. That way you could see both sides of the print, and it would still be protected.

Fsmdr
01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
May I make a suggestion on the display? A double paned picture frame. That is, glass on each side with the picture in the middle. It will take some work and will have to be done by a professional framer, not one of the kids at Michaels, but I think that with the right frame it can be displayed as a rotating centerpiece for your bookshelf. That way you could see both sides of the print, and it would still be protected.

That's a great idea!. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Sam
01-25-2010, 10:53 AM
You're quite welcome. I know a fellow who can probably do it, but he's here on the east coast near me. :(

jemaher
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I got my copy Friday> it is mammoth.

Ari_Racing
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been talking with Jerad about the incredible editions he made of Knowing Darkness. I already had Salem's Lot (the regular edition released by Centipede Press) and I thought it was incredible, so imagine my opinion when I got the traycased edition of this piece of art.

Anyway, I tried to encourage him not to dismiss The Shining's S/L edition project. I seriously can't believe how King can say what he said about a publisher like Centipede Press, and then authorize others like Cemetary Dance, which can't leave the chance of announcing something about King in every new email sent to their subscribers, when I guess that 95% of the receivers are pretty upset with how things are handled by Chizmar and co. And even when Jerad is not too optimistic (and who can't blame that...we all read the interview), he allowed me to try to find a way to change things.

I told him the best place to start is here, where the collectors and people who know King's market are. And the idea is....to throw ideas, see what is the best way to reach King (King's office actually) and well...try. The worst thing it can happen is that we end in the same place we're here now.

So....shoot! :)

Rahfa
02-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I agree, although I don't think we should bother contacting the office...I think Shining could still happen with Jerad's patience, and it's not like SK's office doesn't know...and like I think we've said about the interview - yes, it was harsh, but SK is pretty ornery, and I doubt he meant it personally as much as Jerad was a target right on his mind at the time...the shame was using the most devoted bookmaker as a target for a snarky aside.

herbertwest
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Definitely should try...
So you want ideas to reach his office?

frik
02-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I would absolutely love a Shining l;imited - with Jerad in charge - and King's blessing. Such a project couldn't fail!

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-07-2010, 01:47 AM
The secondary market for Knowing Darkness is the place to buy this at the moment. The $295 version went for $155.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Knowing-Darkness-Artists-Inspired-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ310199010910QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item48394d465e

herbertwest
02-07-2010, 06:16 AM
there are some at $180 on amazon. One for the same price on abebooks...

at_one
02-07-2010, 09:10 AM
The secondary market for Knowing Darkness is the place to buy this at the moment. The $295 version went for $155.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Knowing-Darkness-Artists-Inspired-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ310199010910QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item48394d465e

I picked that one up......and I had a 10% off coupon making the book $140 + shipping!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Great deal at_one. Just the kind of deal I like.

jon10g
02-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Can someone give me an idea of the value of two Michael Whelan prints I received with my copy of Knowing Darkness. They are The Slow Mutants from DT I and Agul Siento from DT VII and are both signed by Whelan.

Thanks

Jon

frik
02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
My traycased edition is so close now. It was shipped by early January, arrived in the UK about one week ago, arrived in my country a couple of days later, a delivery attempt was made three times (but as I was in the UK with my students, no one could accept the package) and now I have to wait till the 22nd to be home for a fourth delivery try. :arg:

sk

wizardsrainbow
02-15-2010, 06:50 AM

As I am now a book dealer myself, I will tell you that that price is cost to a book dealer.

carlosdetweiller
02-15-2010, 07:55 AM

As I am now a book dealer myself, I will tell you that that price is cost to a book dealer.

Is that the dealer cost for a clean, new copy or one of the scratch-and-dent variety?

The one sold at the link provided had bumped corners.

wizardsrainbow
02-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Is that the dealer cost for a clean, new copy or one of the scratch-and-dent variety?

Jerad charges me $147.50 for the book that retails at $295. If you are interested in this version, I will sell at a meaningful discount to $295 to members of this site. I have none on hand, but Jerad gets them to me in a week. Let me know.

The discount I get on the Deluxe $995 retail one is less than 50%.

at_one
02-19-2010, 03:48 AM

I received my copy yesterday that I had won on that ebay auction......I had to literally search for the bumped corners (bottom 2 corners of slipcase's open end, book not affected at all), at first I thought I received an undamaged copy!!! I must say, well worth the healthy discount and what an absolutely lovely book!!!

Patrick
02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you got a fantastic deal then. :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
02-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Centipede just announced a first ever hardback printing of Slob, by Rex Miller. (http://www.centipedepress.com/horror/slob.html)
One of my favorite titles.

Stephen King hails Rex Miller as "terrifying and original". Slob is his debut novel, the story of a man who thinks of himself as Death. A man wholikes to feast on human hearts, spilling blood wherever he goes. Jack Eichord is the detective who must hunt this human monster and genius killer. Years of working as a homicide detective for the Chicago Police department has hardened Eichord to things that would make most men turn and flee. But even he is not prepared for the labyrinthine search underground, as he trails the killer and his hostages through the sewer system of the city. Eichord thinks that he is beginning to understand thediabolical man and his patterns of violence...but can he guess the next victim in time, before it is too late for the woman he loves?

jhanic
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
I read this book when it first came out in mass market paperback and LOVED it! I'm seriouslly considering ordering the one from Centipede.

John

Randall Flagg
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I read this book when it first came out in mass market paperback and LOVED it! I'm seriouslly considering ordering the one from Centipede.

John
I already ordered one.:thumbsup:
I enjoyed all of the "Chaingang" books by Rex Miller.

herbertwest
02-22-2010, 11:09 AM
From the newsletter :

SCRATCH AND DENT
We have just a few copies left of:

Artists Inspired by Stephen King
slipcased edition, dented
$125

frik
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
My traycased edition arrived today!

I LOVE my remarque!

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9566/aanwinstenstephenking20.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Remarkable..pun intended.
Congratulations!

Ari_Racing
02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Sweet!!! I don't quite get which story/book is it based on.

frik
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Sweet!!! I don't quite get which story/book is it based on.

Neither do I,actually.
Ideas, anyone?

sk

Patrick
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Love it, frik!

asdavies
02-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Not that I'm bored/frustrated with Amazon but I was wondering if anyone has received their deluxe edition of knowing darkness from Amazon?

Thanks

Steve...

Randall Flagg
02-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes. I have mine.

wizardsrainbow
02-26-2010, 07:10 AM
And I have mine as well.

They retail at $995. I have an extra that I will sell at a discount if anyone is interested. Please PM me.

biomieg
02-26-2010, 08:29 AM
You guys have the traycased, signed edition right? Not the 'deluxe' that was listed for something like $5995?

wizardsrainbow
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I have the traycased, signed by all artists edition PLUS Michael Whelan remarque (actually 2 remarques, 1 zombie that came with it and 1 callahan that he did just for me). I have another for sale sans remarque.

I do not know of anyone who bought the $6k version

wizardsrainbow
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Is anyone here interested in the signed artists edition of this book, retails for $995, for $600? No damage to book or slipcase.

A reputable person is offering me one. I'd turn it around to you if there is an interest from someone out here.

Eric719691
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Is anyone here interested in the signed artists edition of this book, retails for $995, for $600? No damage to book or slipcase.

A reputable person is offering me one. I'd turn it around to you if there is an interest from someone out here.

A month ago I would have, broke down and bought one from Jerad.

Rahfa
03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Ugh!

The rat bastards at UPS finally counted me as one of their victims...

So I ordered the traycased edition of Knowing Darkness off of Buy.com some time ago on discount, and then basically forgot about it...

So it showed up today, in a very heavy - and also clearly very snug box...As soon as I looked closely at it I had a bad feeling about things...no obvious damage, but just too tight a fit to stand up to even a heavy jostling...

So I open it...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2050213&id=1347973874&l=a6003542bf

Ugh...so the bad news is the traycase is ruined...absolutely a nonstarter as far as a longterm collectible.

The good news is the book is fine and it is unbelievable...absolutely far better and more spectacular than I'd expected.

So - I'm either going to return it completely....or email Jerad and say I need a new traycase...

Any thoughts?

I will say this - I'm glad it's Buy.com, and not Waterstone...this will be inconvenient to box up and ship back, but it's not overseas...and, this is no minor bump or two...at least not in my opinion...

jhanic
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I'd suggest going back to Jerad first; then, if he can't help you, send it back.

John

Rahfa
03-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd suggest going back to Jerad first; then, if he can't help you, send it back.

John

Yeah, I'm sure Jerad would be able to replace the traycase - and luckily, it's ONLY the traycase....I guess I'm not sure if I want it at all, as impressed as I am...

I didn't put in the above email my other part of this rant - it is an absolute crying shame that the packing job was this bad....for the effort that Jerad put into this book, for it to be so half-assedly shipped is simply inexcusable. I mean, yeah, he can replace the traycase, but it's still money out of his pocket...I'm sure the ones he shipped himself didn't go out so slipshoddily...

So it's a shame...very disappointing...

Randall Flagg
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
If you ordered the book from buy.com, I'm unclear as to how or why Jerad should be responsible for any damage or replacement.

Rahfa
03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
He's totally NOT responsible....but since he'll end up getting the book back and losing the sale, it might be worth his while to just send me a new traycase.

I assume he'll get some money back from Buy himself, but I'm sure he'd rahter have a book sold and out of inventory.

He would be giving me a new traycase just so we could all move on - NOT because he bears any responsibiltiy. In fact, the book shipped from NJ, so I bet his printer sent BUY a bunch of books to fill orders and Jerad never saw them.

Returning it would be the easy fix...but I'm not getting a replacement if I do that, just my money back.

Brice
03-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Damn, it hurts just to see it like that. :( That is horrible.

Rahfa
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, it was disappointing....basically as soon as I looked at the box, and could tell there was NO padding, I knew there was going to be a problem...typical half-assed work...a sheet of bubble wrap would have made the difference.

And it's such a great book....just a shame to have a copy ruined (or a traycase anyway) for nothing more than lack of effort or caring.

What sucks is even if Jerad wanted to help me out, I'm not even sure he could....these aren't flimsy, eaily replaceable traycases...it's as elaborarte as the book...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Subterranean Press are selling this for $525 including shipping. Thats $350 off the normal retail price. Offer ends Friday 5 March.

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=centipede01&Category_Code=OTH&Product_Count=4

Randall Flagg
03-04-2010, 06:54 AM
That is a substantial discount.

Rahfa
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, I'm sending my copy back for a refund...not going to bother Jerad about something that has nothing to do with him...

I'm disappointed that Buy.com shipped SO badly.

The book is unreal...it is absolutely the best SK-related s/l edition ever produced by any publisher at any time, ever...no doubt.

I'm not sure if Jerad approached SK to sign it or not - but SK is lessened by not being involved with this project, far more than the book is lessened by his absence...

Great effort; great book!

Brice
03-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Well, I'm sending my copy back for a refund...not going to bother Jerad about something that has nothing to do with him...

I'm disappointed that Buy.com shipped SO badly.

The book is unreal...it is absolutely the best SK-related s/l edition ever produced by any publisher at any time, ever...no doubt.

I'm not sure if Jerad approached SK to sign it or not - but SK is lessened by not being involved with this project, far more than the book is lessened by his absence...

Great effort; great book!

It's just a thought, but would it maybe be worth contacting Jerad to see what he'd charge for just a case? I mean I know it'd mean you taking a loss by investing a little more, but you seem to REALLY like the book.

Rahfa
03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Well, I wouldn't pay more for the case...and the more I thought about it, I wouldn't expect Jerad to provide one.

I think the book's great - and I wanted to make sure my delivery belly-aching didn't get in the way of complimenting the design itself...I might buy another copy in the future, but for now I just want the $$ back.

Brice
03-06-2010, 06:12 AM
That's totally understandable, I just figured I'd suggest it.

LostAlivE
03-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Jerad charges me $147.50 for the book that retails at $295. If you are interested in this version, I will sell at a meaningful discount to $295 to members of this site. I have none on hand, but Jerad gets them to me in a week. Let me know.

The discount I get on the Deluxe $995 retail one is less than 50%.

Wizardsrainbow did you get my message I sent to you yesterday about this?
Truly Lostalive

frik
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm kind of confused: there are two or three states of this book?
Slipcased - Traycased - Deluxe?
Or is the traycased the deluxe edition?

sk

jhanic
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Three versions:

Slipcased
Traycased two volumes
Traycased two volumes leatherbound with prints

http://www.centipedepress.com/art/skart.html

John

Ari_Racing
03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
John...I think you missed the Deluxe. There was a Deluxe as well if I'm not wrong.

Eric719691
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
John...I think you missed the Deluxe. There was a Deluxe as well if I'm not wrong.

I remember the deluxe as well when this first was published. The deluxe sold for $1295, $295 for the slipcased, $995 for the traycased and $5495 for the leatherbound. Not sure if the deluxe version being the one that included the extra signed prints or not.

Eric

Fsmdr
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM

I remember the deluxe as well when this first was published. The deluxe sold for $1295, $295 for the slipcased, $995 for the traycased and $5495 for the leatherbound. Not sure if the deluxe version being the one that included the extra signed prints or not.

Eric

I think Ari was refering to the $5995 deluxe. The traycased is priced at $1295.

Sam
03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I think the Traycased two volumes leatherbound with prints is the deluxe Ari.

Eric719691
03-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I went back to the first few pages of this discussion and found where Patrick listed the original prices for pre-publication. I was confused with the deluxe version, but there was 4 different prices originally.

Eric

"To summarize options, quantity and U.S. domestic price (see link for full description):

SLIPCASED:
2500, no numbers, unsigned:
$195 + $15 S&H through 5/5;
$250 thereafter

TRAYCASED (w/ extras):
400, numbered, signed:
$795 + $25 S&H thru 5/5;
$995 thereafter

TRAYCASED w/ ORIGINAL WHELAN REMARQUE (w/ extras):
50, numbered, signed:
(Are these a subset of the 400 above?)
$1095 + $25 S&H thru 5/5;
$1,295 thereafter

DELUXE (w/ Extras such as oversized, signed prints):
25, Roman numerals, signed
$4,995 incl. S&H thru 5/5
$5,995 thereafter"

jhanic
03-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Eric. That's what we needed!

John

Sam
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Eric,
I believe the Traycased with the Whelan remarque IS a subset of the 400 Traycased, which is what I took to be the Traycased two volumes from John's post.

Randall Flagg
03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I went back to the first few pages of this discussion and found where Patrick listed the original prices for pre-publication. I was confused with the deluxe version, but there was 4 different prices originally.

Eric

"To summarize options, quantity and U.S. domestic price (see link for full description):

SLIPCASED:
2500, no numbers, unsigned:
$195 + $15 S&H through 5/5;
$250 thereafter

TRAYCASED (w/ extras):
400, numbered, signed:
$795 + $25 S&H thru 5/5;
$995 thereafter

TRAYCASED w/ ORIGINAL WHELAN REMARQUE (w/ extras):
50, numbered, signed:
(Are these a subset of the 400 above?)
$1095 + $25 S&H thru 5/5;
$1,295 thereafter

DELUXE (w/ Extras such as oversized, signed prints):
25, Roman numerals, signed
$4,995 incl. S&H thru 5/5
$5,995 thereafter"

I believe the (up to ~50) editions that had/have a Whelan remarque are a 'subset' of the 400 Traycased editions. The Whelan 'remarques' are actually ~11"x17" original pieces included, but separate from the 1/400 traycased editions. It actually presents a quandary in that the piece itself isn't bound in the book and there is (to my knowledge) no way other than receipts, correspondence etc. to associate any particular original Whelan piece with any specific book other than 1 of 400.
The positive is that one can frame and more easily display the Whelan art.

I hope that made sense.

Rahfa
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
The 50 Whelan remarqes ARE part of the traycased edition of, I believe, 300 (not 400) numbered copies.

I think you are correct that the remarques could be kept outside the edition...and there's nothing that indicates that a Whelan remarque came with ut.

Sam
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
That's true from what I have gathered too. So someone could easily sell the book and keep the remarque for themselves. Not a bad deal I think.

Eric719691
03-09-2010, 08:49 PM
The 50 Whelan remarqes ARE part of the traycased edition of, I believe, 300 (not 400) numbered copies.

I think you are correct that the remarques could be kept outside the edition...and there's nothing that indicates that a Whelan remarque came with ut.

I believe you are correct with the 300 there if I remember one of the last emails Jerad sent out was out of the original 300 he had to get the artist their copies.

Patrick
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Eric! I was just sitting here in confusion and lamenting that I used to know the info on all the editions, but didn't remember it anymore. I had completely forgotten about that post.

Interesting that the 400 count was reduced to 300.

Rahfa
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
It was a decision made some time ago...the traycased edition I recently recieved (and sent back because it was beat to hell) was #205 and it expressly said of 300...and that printing was done awhile ago I would think...plus, I think Jerad referred to the number in an earlier post.

LostAlivE
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know where I might get one of the slipcased ones for about $150.00?

at_one
03-11-2010, 02:56 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270534799695

I made an offer for $155 and they accepted it....mind you, these are damaged copies but I could hardly tell that it was even damaged, i.e. 2 corners of the slipcase were ever so slightly bumped...Good luck!

Eric719691
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
So I arrive home today to a massive box from Centipede Press. I was absolutely amazed when I opened this and saw the craftsmanship of the traycased edition. I had already received the trade edition but was shocked with this one. Now to design and build another bookcase with these dimensions, as the last one I built was for the trade edition.

LostAlivE
03-14-2010, 01:55 AM

I made an offer for $155 and they accepted it....mind you, these are damaged copies but I could hardly tell that it was even damaged, i.e. 2 corners of the slipcase were ever so slightly bumped...Good luck!

I just got me one of those copies for myself. Thanks for letting me know about them. I am looking forward to receiving it.

bast_imret
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
has anyone else had any issues with the pages being stuck? I've got a bad case in the Gerald's Game fold out page in Dameron's section. The outer edge of the page is stuck to the inner portion of the page where it's tucked in at the spine, about a 3"x5" area. I tried gently pulling the pages apart, but they won't budge. I'm afraid any more force will result in one side stripping the other side of its printing where they are adhered. Any suggestions for getting it open without damaging the pages?

Sam
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Contact Jerad. Perhaps he can give you some advice, or help you out some other way.

jerad@centipedepress.com

Rahfa
03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
has anyone else had any issues with the pages being stuck? I've got a bad case in the Gerald's Game fold out page in Dameron's section. The outer edge of the page is stuck to the inner portion of the page where it's tucked in at the spine, about a 3"x5" area. I tried gently pulling the pages apart, but they won't budge. I'm afraid any more force will result in one side stripping the other side of its printing where they are adhered. Any suggestions for getting it open without damaging the pages?

It might not be cut at all...are you sure it's stuck, rather than an uncut sheet of paper?

You could trim, but if it's actually uncut I think I would leave it alone.

LostAlivE
03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Did anyone take advantage of the Subterranean Press's offer for 525 on the tray case?
If so would you let us know when you get it.
Thank you LoStAlIvE

bast_imret
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Contact Jerad. Perhaps he can give you some advice, or help you out some other way.

jerad@centipedepress.com

I had shot him an email shortly before posting here. I was mainly looking for a way to get them unstuck without damamging the pages, but Jerad simply offered to replace it if I'd ship my copy to his printer. Works for me. Jerad is great to work with and this is such a gorgeous book, I'm going to hate being without it for a few days till my replacement arrives.

Rahfa, the pages are definitly adhered somehow. It's where the outer edge of the fold out page sits ontop of itself when the page is folded into the book, right along the spine. When I try to unfold the page, I can see a trangular strip, about 5" long x 3" wide, toward the top of the page where they are stuck together.

herbertwest
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Before the book to be published, i remember reading that he was waiting to recieve the books from India...
Did you send the book there?

bast_imret
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Before the book to be published, i remember reading that he was waiting to recieve the books from India...
Did you send the book there?

Nope, his printer I sent it to is in San Francisco.

herbertwest
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok, that's better then ^^

surly
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I got my traycased copy the other day -- everyone wrote how great it is, but I wasn't prepared for how GREAT it really is. If anyone is still on the fence, don't hesitate any longer; you NEED this book.

Seriously though, I don't have a clue how I'm going to display this baby. Anyone care to share photos of how they have it shelved/displayed?

Dolso
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I've got some photos of what I made for it, but apparently can't post pictures yet. I guess I need to post a few more times?

jhanic
03-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Dolso, with five posts, you should be able to post pictures. I'm curious about how you have yours. Mine is still in the shipping box on the floor. I have absolutely no idea as to how to display it properly.

John

bast_imret
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Build a shrine around it?

Eric719691
03-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I have mine on my mantle. I built my last bookcase with the trade edition of Knowing Darkness in mind, but the traycased edition is massive.

Eric

Fsmdr
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Dolso, with five posts, you should be able to post pictures. I'm curious about how you have yours. Mine is still in the shipping box on the floor. I have absolutely no idea as to how to display it properly.

John

Both boxes?!. Including the inner box?. I threw out the outerbox. It is now sitting in my closet in it's inner box. Who need clothes, when you have books!.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Both boxes?!. Including the inner box?. I threw out the outerbox. It is now sitting in my closet in it's inner box. Who need clothes, when you have books!.

Who needs clothes, when you have books! EXACTLY......that is why my collection is now in the room we all call The Closet.

Speaking of The Closet and Knowing Darkness. As I type this my wife and I are working on plans to redo the right side of the closet with glass doors and more shelves.

I'm having a custom shelf put in just for Knowing Darkness.

This will be a big project but well worth it. I'll make sure to do a Closet update in my collection thread when it's completed.

:orely: now.......what to do with all that extra shelf space?

Anyone in need of renting a shelf?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Dolso
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Ok, this is quite confusing for an old fart.:doh: Hopefully the photo comes up!

This is a massive case for a massive book. I actually made two different types of display..this is the one that seemed best.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=686

turtlex
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Dolso - Looks like you grabbed the wrong link for your picture. You need to put your mouse over the photo and do a right click, and then grab the actual address URL. Then, surround that with the tags.

Dolso
03-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I type in the post, click the 'mountain' button, paste the url (I have the pic on this site), submit .......nothing comes up.

Dolso
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
And now I get a message from spambuster! HELP!

Matt
03-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Hmmm...hold on a second Dolso, I'll check something out and see if I can fix it.

Next time you try, use the "go advanced" button to preview the post and see if the pic is there.

EDIT--usergroup is all good for posting pics, try again and we'll go from there.

Where are the pictures hosted by the way?

Dolso
03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Trying again..........
still nothing ~ this shows up on the advanced screen

I downloaded a pic from my computer to your site this AM.

[IMG]http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG

Link to larger picture: (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG)

Fsmdr
03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Trying again..........
[IMG}http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=686[/IMG]

Try a different browser. I know that on AOL, it is not possible for me to upload pictures for some reason.

Randall Flagg
03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
I edited your post and inserted the picture.
I right clicked on the image,
chose copy image location
went to your post, clicked the insert picture icon
copied the url into the empty space and clicked enter.

Matt
03-17-2010, 08:56 AM
}[/B]http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=686

There is a problem in this code bolded.

The IMG tag needs to have brackets on both sides.

Also, the link is incomplete. You have to click on the pic to get a full view to copy the location of the image. In this case it is.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG

Pasting that link into the window under the image button produces

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG

CurtSeattle
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
That case is amazing!! You should sell them! :)

oy-the-brave
03-17-2010, 09:59 AM
That case is amazing!! You should sell them! :)

I agree the cabinet is fantastic, you should sell them :thumbsup:

sentinel
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Sign me up, I'll buy one! Very Nice! Great way to Display it!

carlosdetweiller
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
It is a nice cabinet for sure. But it wouldn't solve my problem. The book is too big for me to put anywhere but in a closet. I still would have no place to put the cabinet with the book inside. It is pretty though.

Brice
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
It is a nice cabinet for sure. But it wouldn't solve my problem. The book is too big for me to put anywhere but in a closet. I still would have no place to put the cabinet with the book inside. It is pretty though.

It may be time to expand the basement. :lol:

Sam
03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Bob, add legs and make a display for the living room. :D

Room 217 Caretaker
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Trying again..........

[IMG]http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG

Link to larger picture: (http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/KD_Wall_Display_50_.JPG)

Is there Plexiglas in the door or just an opening?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

carlosdetweiller
03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Those are both good suggestions, Sam and Brice. But my wife is already losing patience with me. I've started taking over our daughter's old room....adding one bookcase at a time.....and have started hanging Gunslinger artwork in the sunroom/porch. I think it looks great. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Fsmdr
03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Those are both good suggestions, Sam and Brice. But my wife is already losing patience with me. I've started taking over our daughter's old room....adding one bookcase at a time.....and have started hanging Gunslinger artwork in the sunroom/porch. I think it looks great. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Maybe it is time to prune your collection, Bob?. I don't mean downscaling, but I'm sure you have many duplicates from all the years of collecting, which you do not need. I'm sure we would love a shot of them if you have extras to spare. :dance:

Talking about artwork...I have some personally commisioned artwork coming in the next few weeks. I think you will like them very much...

carlosdetweiller
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Talking about artwork...I have some personally commisioned artwork coming in the next few weeks. I think you will like them very much...

I'll bet we will. I'm intrigued.

Ari_Racing
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Today I purchased one of the bumped copies of Artwork based on HP Lovecraft. :)

Can't wait to receive it!!

Eric719691
03-17-2010, 06:30 PM

I have been debating on getting one of these as well. Still thinking on it, so let me know what you think once you receive it.

Eric

Ari_Racing
03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh, I decided to get it since I saw the book at the Whelans the first time I was there and it was incredible!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-18-2010, 12:38 AM
.....and have started hanging Gunslinger artwork in the sunroom/porch.

Are you sure this is wise Bob?

Brice
03-18-2010, 03:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing. :unsure: Wouldn't the sun be bad for the art?

carlosdetweiller
03-18-2010, 06:39 AM
.....and have started hanging Gunslinger artwork in the sunroom/porch.

Are you sure this is wise Bob?

It will be OK. They are on a wall that never gets any direct sunlight.

wizardsrainbow
03-18-2010, 08:09 AM

Maybe it is time to prune your collection, Bob?. I don't mean downscaling, but I'm sure you have many duplicates from all the years of collecting, which you do not need. I'm sure we would love a shot of them if you have extras to spare.

And I am sure Bob will immediately think of Betts Books if he has things to sell! :)

Dolso
03-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, it does have a plexi-glass door. It's designed so that it can be used as a wall hung display (previous photo) or as a table top display (the back of it is stained and finished as well as the front). It's lined in black with a removable support so that the book rests on the case instead of on the 'lips' of the case. They would definitely get crushed eventually!

I'll try to post a table top picture here. Thanks for the help in getting yesterday's photo up! I may need help again.:unsure:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/thumbs/KD_Table_display_4_50_.JPG

BTW~ It is for sale. $300 plus shipping

And just think -- All you'd have to do is put a rod across it & you would have an EXTRA closet!:rock:

jhanic
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
If it were used as a wall hung display with that book, I hope the wall and anchors are VERY secure!

John

Patrick
03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
And just think -- All you'd have to do is put a rod across it & you would have an EXTRA closet!:rock:
:rofl:

Dolso, any chance you could post a larger version of that photo with the case door open? (This one is thumbnail size.)

It's a beautiful cabinet, by the way.

Dolso
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Patrick~

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I'm glad to TRY to post a larger photo. I'm not sure why that one came out smaller?

The screws and anchors that hold this are rated at about 190 lbs. Even with the case & the book, it doesn't come close to that.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/KD_Table_display_4_75_.JPG

Hey! Seems to have worked.:dance:

Matt
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Great! You got it Dolso.

Beautiful case :drool:

herbertwest
03-18-2010, 03:20 PM

How much was it?
I plan to buy the book... but not before months, i dont have much money to "waste" just now...

@Dolso : It's really nice... but is it easy to get the book out?

Ari_Racing
03-18-2010, 05:56 PM
$150 + S/H

Amazing case! Now...is the painting behind King-related?

Fsmdr
03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
That's a beautiful case, Dolso. Talk about display!.

Dolso
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
herbertwest ~ "@Dolso : It's really nice... but is it easy to get the book out?"

Thanks! As long as you can lift the 35-45 lb book up to shoulder height (if it's mounted on the wall), it's not difficult at all. The door opens completely out of the way & there's about an inch extra in both width & height so it's not an extremely tight fit.

Ari Racing ~ "Amazing case! Now...is the painting behind King-related?"

Thanks! Unfortunatly, no. One of the prices I pay to have a room for my books is that my wife gets to do some decorating. Works great though -- she bought the bookcases, desk, paintings, etc! :fairy:

Brice
03-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Ari Racing ~ "Amazing case! Now...is the painting behind King-related?"

Thanks! Unfortunatly, no. One of the prices I pay to have a room for my books is that my wife gets to do some decorating. Works great though -- she bought the bookcases, desk, paintings, etc! :fairy:

You just need to convince her that Michael Whelan is HER favorite artist. :)

Airtraffic
03-20-2010, 04:17 AM
He is one of the best.

Dolso
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Actually, one of her favorite artists is Arthur Rackham. Too bad he's not still alive!

Brice
03-21-2010, 01:04 AM
:thumbsup: At least she has good taste.

Well, I've been very excited to see all the pictures of this book...not to mention the awesome remarques however I was bit more excited to see this in an email this morning...

Dear Brice:

Thank you for your order of:

signed traycase edition
Michael Whelan remarque
free set of fold out prints

The book will ship to you on:
Monday or Tuesday afternoon.
:excited::excited::excited:

This is by FAR the most I've ever spent on a single book, but just based on everyone's pics and general comment's on Jerad's books I know that it was well worth it. Not to mention the fact that Jerad seems like a really nice guy.

I cannot wait.

...but, I must. :cry:

biomieg
03-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Congratulations Brice :) I know the book's worth it, too, but I got the slipcased unsigned edition... I can only spend my money once and I have a bunch of other stuff finding its way to me over the coming months (not that I'm complaining :))

carlosdetweiller
03-21-2010, 04:47 AM
This is by FAR the most I've ever spent on a single book, but just based on everyone's pics and general comment's on Jerad's books I know that it was well worth it. Not to mention the fact that Jerad seems like a really nice guy.

I cannot wait.

Congratulations! You will love it. Please tell us if you find a place to shelve it or display it. I think mine is, sadly, destined for the closet.

at_one
03-21-2010, 05:41 AM

Ari-

Where did you find this at? I have been searching for a cheaper "damaged" copy for a while and can't seem to locate...

Brice
03-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I *think* Jerad had some slightly damaged copies for sale. Eventually I need to get a copy I think, but I just can't just at the moment.

I cannot wait.

Congratulations! You will love it. Please tell us if you find a place to shelve it or display it. I think mine is, sadly, destined for the closet.

Is there no way to display it on top of one of your bookcases, maybe?

Right now I'm not sure how I'll display mine. I think I actually need to see it before I try to figure that out. It may just end up on a table at least as a temporary measure, but I'd really like to do something special for it.

Have you gotten the deluxe yet? Not the one the rest of us got, but the most limited version?

CurtSeattle
03-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I got a great deal on the Limited Traycased version and I had to buy it myself.

Most I have ever spent too. REALLY wish I got the remarques. GRRR! I don't think you get remarques with all of the traycased ones, but that would be a HUGE surprise. :)

Mine is going on top of the bookcase, but I'm nervous about dust and critters getting to it. (Not critters like squirrels, but critters like little barely seen insects that will devour my book over time. I guess that's what traycases are for...it's just the traycase is cool too. :(

Brice
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Congratulations! :)

There were only 50 copies with the Whelan remarques in them available though. A traycase will keep dust out, but will do nothing for the type of insects that feed on books as far as I know.

carlosdetweiller
03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Have you gotten the deluxe yet? Not the one the rest of us got, but the most limited version?

Not yet. I don't when it will be available.

Dolso
03-21-2010, 03:24 PM
This is a much simpler way to display it. Unfortunately, you still need wall space to hang it. Maybe if the 'latch' at the top was darker, it wouldn't show up as much. Or use a strap (leather?) across the top. It needs something to prevent it from toppling over. The best thing about this one is that if you ever sell the book, you could always use the shelf for extra books........who doesn't need extra shelf space?:)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/686/medium/long_display_KD_3_50_.JPG

namelessnpoor
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
For those interested, I got an email from Jerad, I am on the mailing list for Centipede, last night I think is when it was sent, he is now offering the dinged/bumped copies for $125 slipcased and $425 for the traycase, this also includes all the extras he always throws in, Thats quite a good deal i would say. You can get both $550 !!!

biomieg
03-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm in over my head in payment plans for other great collectibles, but otherwise I would definitely go for the traycased book... oh well... can't have 'em all :)

Tito_Villa
03-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Hmmmmmm i might have to look into the slipcased edition!

surly
03-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Those custom wall displays are pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I'm not so great with the tools, so this is the best I could come up with for now.
Bought an open back bookshelf and then had to lay it flat, but otherwise it works:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/surly_pics/King%20Pics/KDsmall.jpg

turtlex
03-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Those custom wall displays are pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I'm not so great with the tools, so this is the best I could come up with for now.
Bought an open back bookshelf and then had to lay it flat, but otherwise it works:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/surly_pics/King%20Pics/KDsmall.jpg

I like that look a lot. Especially the Batman statue and the Watchmen GN !

biomieg
03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
I like it too! From what I can see it looks like you have a beautiful house with very aesthetically pleasing solutions for displaying your collectibles, Surly. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your book collection (mayhap in a personal thread in the Collections subforum?).

frik
03-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm in over my head in payment plans for other great collectibles, but otherwise I would definitely go for the traycased book... oh well... can't have 'em all :)

Come on, Michaël, of course you can!! :P

sk

Stockerlone
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
for $125 slipcased and $425 for the traycase, this also includes all the extras he always throws in,

Good offer, but the delivery cost´s to Germany (for me) :orely: crazy high

Centipede
03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
The two to Germany would be around $100 combined. Interested? That would go via surface mail.

Tito_Villa
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Any idea of the shipping to the UK?

biomieg
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
:rock:

Jerad will probably chime in with the correct amount but my totally unscientific guess is that it's probably $100, just like to The Netherlands (we're practically neighbours, Tito!). At least that's about what I paid for shipping of the slipcased edition.

Tito_Villa
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Jerad will probably chime in with the correct amount but my totally unscientific guess is that it's probably $100, just like to The Netherlands (we're practically neighbours, Tito!). At least that's about what I paid for shipping of the slipcased edition.

Yeah i thought it would be quite alot, unfortunately that means i can't afford one at the moment :(

And i have never been to the Netherlands, i would like to change that one day though :)

Rahfa
03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

I think he did chime in above - and it was $100, for both books it sounds like.

Brice
03-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Actually that was for the shipping to Germany I believe.

e_taylor
03-27-2010, 06:26 AM
I'd say its safe to assuming that shipping would be the same for most of Europe.

Brice
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P3280004.jpg

closer

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P3280005.jpg

Tito_Villa
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow thats soooooooo cool Brice :thumbsup:

Brice
03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks! I thought so too. The detail is just amazing. :D

Tito_Villa
03-28-2010, 02:41 PM
It really is, are you going to get it framed???

Brice
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes, I will. I ain't got a lot of money right now, but I think I will have to.

Tito_Villa
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes i think you should, i would love to se what it would look like on your wall! Congrats again :D

Room 217 Caretaker
03-28-2010, 03:09 PM
:thumbsup: Very nice Brice. Framing that is a must.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Very nice, Brice!

John

carlosdetweiller
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree with the others, Brice. VERY nice!

Ari_Racing
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
AMAZING!!!!

Fsmdr
03-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I think yours is my favourite so far from all the Knowing Darkness remarques. Really nice.

Brice
03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, it's my favorite too. :D Really though I've loved all of the ones I've seen.

And back to the question of framing...I've never had any art worthy of framing before, but I went to the nearest framer about a week ago just to kinda' look at options. Maybe it's overkill I don't know, but I think I want this museum glass I've heard mentioned here along with a really nice frame. I'll probably have to go out of town to have it done though. I may have to save up for it.

And thanks everyone!

I couldn't be happier. The book, the Whelan, everything is just amazing.

frik
03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I love it! Congratulations, Brice!

sk

oy-the-brave
03-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Fantastic remarque Brice :thumbsup:

Brice
03-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks! :)

shnnrc01
03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
yes, it looks great!

Patrick
03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Great remarque, Brice. You'll be glad you invested in the higher quality protection when you choose the glass.

LostAlivE
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM

Thank you for letting me know about this. I just received my copy from them today and it is fantastic to say the least.

I have a question about the slipcased one and the traycased one. Are they the same size or is the traycased books bigger? Does anyone know what is in the second book in the traycased one?

Thank you so much for the help,
LoStAlIvE

Brice
03-31-2010, 03:23 AM
I believe the traycased one may have been bigger if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen the slipcased one. The second book was a book of only art...no text.

frik
03-31-2010, 07:37 AM
I have a question about the slipcased one and the traycased one. Are they the same size or is the traycased books bigger?
LoStAlIvE

Same size - only the tray-cased book is thicker, as it contains the signature pages.

sk

Randall Flagg
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a question about the slipcased one and the traycased one. Are they the same size or is the traycased books bigger?
LoStAlIvE

Same size - only the tray-cased book is thicker, as it contains the signature pages.

sk
And the traycase itself is larger than the slipcase.

LostAlivE
03-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. If the traycase one is anything like the slipcased one all I can is the slipcased one is amazing. I wished King would use Jerad on some of this books. It goes without saying that he does an amazing job there at Centipede

herbertwest
05-09-2010, 04:55 AM
What s exactly in the volume 2 of the limited edition?
(Signed, 2 volumes in traycase, $895 )

When was the limited edition published?

jhanic
05-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I received my limited on 9 January 2010, so I imagine the publication date to be about 31 December 2009. I got the slipcased edition on 21 December 2009, so I figure the publication date of that one is about 15 December.

John

herbertwest
05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that.

What about the content of the limited? It's "just" a book of extra prints right?
How many pages in this one?

bast_imret
05-10-2010, 05:13 AM
We still have yet to see any pics of the Deluxe Limited edition. I want to see what that bad boy looks like.

Brice
05-19-2010, 05:44 PM

I cannot wait.

So this is the best I could manage for displaying mine.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P5190028.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/P5190027.jpg

Randall Flagg
05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
That's 'Bad Ass'!

Brice
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Jerome! :D I like it quite a bit too.

carlosdetweiller
05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
It does look good, Brice. Very nice. Unfortunately mine is destined to live its life hidden in the closet.

Brice
05-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks, Bob! I understand. I had a time figuring out where to put it myself as I have a rather small room and I live with some friends.

jemaher
05-22-2010, 07:37 AM
yeah, no clue how to store or display mine..

Brice
05-22-2010, 07:40 AM
I have room for a couple more in my curio cabinet if y'all wanna' go ahead and mail them to me. You can even have visiting rights. :)

Well...as long as it isn't too often. :lol:

jemaher
05-22-2010, 07:45 AM
the postage alone would be prohibitive! this thing is massive.

Brice
05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Oh, I know I have one myself...that's why I said there's room for a couple more.

Besides did I say I'd pay the postage? :orely: Nope, I just said there was room for them.

bast_imret
05-26-2010, 05:58 AM
I have mine simply standing upright on the top of one of my shorter bookcases (bout 4' tall or so, 3 shelf unit) Looks nice.

jhanic
06-09-2010, 05:36 AM
I just got this email from Jerad at Centipede Press:

SPECIAL DEALS

If you want some extras here, now is your chance. We have
extra copies of the traycase only, which is a great
keepsake, or it can house your trade edition of the book,
or miscellaneous King items. The traycase is available for
$195.

The large book of extra prints of 13 x 19 size is also
available for $195.

Finally, if you'd like to do your own bindery job, we have
boxes of three copies of the deluxe edition, bound but not
cased in, available for $195.

Check it all out here:
http://www.centipedepress.com/art/skart.html

A set of three Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft book
blocks is also available for $195 here:
http://www.centipedepress.com/art/hplart.html

John

WeDealInLead
06-09-2010, 05:41 AM
I wish he was selling just slipcases on their own. My copy was cheap but that's why it didn't come with one and $195 seems pretty expensive for just the traycase.

Maybe David at Betts will get these at a discount like the prints for 'Salem's Lot?

LostAlivE
07-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Has anyone seen the bookcases that "The Collector" is making available?
I wished he offered these in September then I would be able to get one. July 15th is the deadline to order.

willie3
07-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Has anyone seen the bookcases that "The Collector" is making available?
I wished he offered these in September then I would be able to get one. July 15th is the deadline to order.

I agree, it is a shame about the deadline.
I would love to have one, but saving as much as I can for my August vacation, a month long cross-country motorcycle trip.
My Bride would castrate me if I paid out that much for my collection this close to the trip.

Karl

jhanic
07-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Here's the link to the pictures of the case. I'll probably order one.

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/slipcase/knowing_darkness/knowingdarkness-wood.html

John

LostAlivE
07-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the black one with red lining.
If you were going to order one which one would you order.
The black one kinda brings the book details out more so the the pecan one.
What is your opinion about them?

namelessnpoor
08-01-2010, 12:37 PM
need to unload my Knowing Darkness copies.
Traycased S/L- $400 shipping included SOLD
Gift Edition- $150 shipping included
No paypal, check or money order please, will ship when check clears
These prices are for the US only, overseas shipping will be at actual cost.
rrdunaway@msn.com or PM me.

herbertwest
08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Centipede Press related.

In their latest newsletter, they mention. 4 books in progress in the Horror movie study collection: that is "the exorcist , and:

Carrie
This book is nearing completion of the manuscript. The
author has obtained interviews with Brian DePalma and many
cast and crew members, and has left no stone unturned in
background information and critical analysis.

Salem's Lot
This book is on the 1979 version. We have a new interview
with Jules Brenner, the director of photography, and
interviews with Tobe Hooper, Richard Kobritz, Reggie
Nalder, and others. In addition, we have the complete movie
told in frames, the complete screenplay, and many rare
stills.

The Shining
Just getting underway, this will be a massive anthology of
essays that cover both the book and film, with a plethora
of film stills and interviews.

frik
08-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, I saw this.
Great stuff. I'm sure I'll get all three!
I'm especially looking forwards to The Shining book.
I bet a lot of stuff that was planned for the special edition will be used for this.
So I guess that one's definitely scrapped.
Such a shame.

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I bet a lot of stuff that was planned for the special edition will be used for this.

These are more about the movies than the books. "Horror movie study collection".

frik
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM

These are more about the movies than the books. "Horror movie study collection".

True, but the book is mentioned also, so I hope to see some of this left-out material here. Love the book, didn't care much for the movie.

sk

agrabin
08-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I've hunted for a picture of the title page of this book but so far haven't come across one...probably not looking in the right place(s). Can someone point me in the right direction, or maybe even post some pics if possible.

Thanks

frik
08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
If you're referring to the Centipede upcoming book on The Shining -from the horror movie study collection - there's no book yet. Just an announcement that it's coming.

sk

agrabin
08-05-2010, 07:53 AM
If you're referring to the Centipede upcoming book on The Shining -from the horror movie study collection - there's no book yet. Just an announcement that it's coming.

sk

Sorry...my fault...I meant the unsigned edition of Knowing Darkness

agrabin
08-07-2010, 04:50 AM
It would be easier to get the answer to my query this way...

...does the unsigned Knowing Darkness have a facsimile of George Beahm's signature on the title page?

frik
08-07-2010, 06:11 AM
No, it doesn't. It does say: essays by George Beahm - but no facsimile signature.
Why did you think there would be one?

sk

Is this what you were looking for?

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8968/georgebeahm.jpg

agrabin
08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks frik...that's exactly what I was looking for.

Just curious

namelessnpoor
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Anyone interested in the Slipcased copy for $125 shipped in the US ?
If so PM me or email rrdunaway@msn.com