PDA

View Full Version : Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King ~ Centipede Press

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

dyetye
09-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I wish I could just afford the slipcased addition, but alas, I cannot right now:(

Patrick
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone,

I am working on a new advertising push for the book. I have an ad that I am working on that shows a number of works from the book, with some body copy below. There is also an ad with one major illustration and then some copy below it. Would anyone care to take a look at these and offer some feedback? For people who aren't really familiar with the book, I want to select killer images that will help close a sale, and when you are working on the book all the time, you tend to lose perspective. Let me know if it would be all right to post some sample ads here.

Regards,

Jerad
Please do, Jerad. We're collectors, we want to see everything!

Brice
09-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Jerad, I am SO mad at you!! Do you realize I have absolutely NO idea about where I'm going to put such a massive volume? If I tried to put it on one of my admittedly overloaded bookshelves, I think the entire bookcase would collapse!

I guess I'm just going to have to get a new bookcase! :dance:

John

Well, see there's the next idea for one of his signed limiteds...the deluxe edition comes with a bookcase that can house all the delightfully massive books. :lol:

Yes, Jerad please post them. :)

frik
09-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Love to see the ads!

sk

Centipede
09-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Hey everyone,

This ad ran a couple months ago on the back of DARK DISCOVERIES magazine. I have also included what I hope is a detail view if you want to read the text. I am also working on a new ad -- this new one, which I will post tomorrow or Sunday, is the one that I really want some feedback on images.

Thanks!

Jerad

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1908&d=1252670839

herbertwest
09-11-2009, 07:36 AM
so far i like it

and since i know for my job, i'll definitely order one in about a month!

jhanic
09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
:thumbsup:

John

Nerak
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
That's sweet!

herbertwest
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
cant wait to see the new ad that Jerad prepares..

frik
09-12-2009, 01:39 AM
I like it!!! :)

sk

Centipede
09-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey everyone,

Here is another ad for the Stephen King art book. If anyone would care to comment on the eight images attached, please do. I am looking for THE images that will make someone who looks at the ad want the book. If you have favorite images that I did not put here, would you please tell me about them? If any of the images that I included are just duds for you, I'd like to hear about that too. Thank you all for your help!

Jerad

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/attachment.php?attachmentid=1912&d=1252761108

Randall Flagg
09-12-2009, 05:16 AM
The Brautigam piece and the Tower, to me are the most impressive and evocative of King.

jhanic
09-12-2009, 05:27 AM
The one from DTIV of Rhea may offend some people, especially those with small kids.

John

Ari_Racing
09-12-2009, 06:24 AM
I'd add Bob Eggleton's IT and Alex McVey's Randal Flagg.

It looks cool anyway!

Ben Mears
09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
The one from DTIV of Rhea may offend some people, especially those with small kids.

John

I agree. Love the 'Salem's Lot image.

Patrick
09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Love the Cycle picture and copy. It grabs my attention, that's for sure.

Jerad, personally I like the second ad you posted just the way it is - with all 8 pictures. It gives a glimpse into the different styles and artists involved and grabs my attention. If you only included one picture and it didn't happen to be one that grabbed me - or one I felt I already owned in a book, I might not be swayed by the small print text telling me that there are other artists involved.

herbertwest
09-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I am not keen on the blue art (which book?) and the stand. Those are not "stunning", so other pieces of art would be better according to me.

to remplace them, i would suggest :

what about "half" of the illustration from firestarter? the famous one
and the carrie illustration you previously shared?

Ari_Racing
09-12-2009, 11:48 AM

This is something I was talking about with my girlfriend the other day. I don't know if it happens in the rest of the world, but here these days it's common to see tits in cover magazines. And even when I love tits (:nana:), I really don't like how these days a 5 years old boy can see'em everywhere. let's put it this way: if I ever have a son/daughter, I preffer him/her NOT to see those covers when they're young.

Nevertheless, I think it's more offensive, for example, Wrigthson's illustration of the wolf with the corpse and the blood.

And, if you consider that this ad will probably be seen by 18 or older people, I think it's okay whichever illustrations you choose for the book.

frik
09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I am not keen on the blue art (which book?) and the stand.

That's also The Stand.
Actually, from the edition I first read.
Maybe that's why I like it so much.

sk

Randall Flagg
09-12-2009, 03:19 PM
The one from DTIV of Rhea may offend some people, especially those with small kids.This is something I was talking about with my girlfriend the other day. I don't know if it happens in the rest of the world, but here these days it's common to see tits in cover magazines. And even when I love tits (:nana:), I really don't like how these days a 5 years old boy can see'em everywhere. let's put it this way: if I ever have a son/daughter, I preffer him/her NOT to see those covers when they're young.

Nevertheless, I think it's more offensive, for example, Wrigthson's illustration of the wolf with the corpse and the blood.

And, if you consider that this ad will probably be seen by 18 or older people, I think it's okay whichever illustrations you choose for the book.

Well we call them (intending to not offend women) breasts. Certainly I'd be hard pressed to use the correct word in French, Spanish, Portuguese (or even Welsh).
As a cover for a mainstream magazine in the US, the art would be acceptable, but to most who don't understand the relevance, perceived as odd.
As an interior advertising in magazines intended for King, Sci-Fi, Horror, Art Collector's I doubt it would raise any furor.

mae
09-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Great stuff, but I'd use more well-known pieces of King-related art. You already have The Stand. Perhaps the paperback cover for Night Shift I stole for my avatar? :P

Patrick
09-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I just broke out the first few dozen posts into a separate thread which leaves this one as the dedicated thread for Jerad's book - which fits how the discussion in this thread has evolved. I also slightly renamed this thread to more specifically reflect that fact.

Thanks.
- Patrick

Ari_Racing
09-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Well we call them (intending to not offend women) breasts. Certainly I'd be hard pressed to use the correct word in French, Spanish, Portuguese (or even Welsh).

Ups. Sorry! :) Not my intention to offend anyone.

Centipede
09-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Hello again,

Here is another version of the Stephen King ad, the one with eight pictures. I will also post another version with eight different artworks. Which of the 16 works are working for you? Which ones are not?

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

Centipede
09-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Finally, here is one more version of the Stephen King ad, with eight different artworks.

All comments welcome! Thank you all for your comments so far!

Jerad

Rahfa
09-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I like both of those quite a bit more than the original you posted.

Dumb question - that's Sissy Spacek in the Carrie image, right? From a paperback tie-in? Did you have any issues with her likeness as far as getting rights to reprint, or do the artists control that? Obviously, it's not a problem, but I'm curious how it works...(if it's actually her...)

Ricky
09-13-2009, 06:59 AM
I like the images in the ads overall, but I think it would be better for publicity and profits if the "popular" King art (The Stand, Carrie, It, The Dark Tower, etc.) was included rather than some of the more obscure ones, as there are some that I didn't even realize are King art.

turtlex
09-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Hello again,

Here is another version of the Stephen King ad, the one with eight pictures. I will also post another version with eight different artworks. Which of the 16 works are working for you? Which ones are not?

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

This is my favorite and to me, the most appealing, of the ads.

( attachment name : new King ad v1.jpg )

herbertwest
09-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Hello again,

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

i prefer this one
could create a poll or something like this no?

Ari_Racing
09-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I'd use different ones with only one or two pictures (like the first one you use with Wrightson's one.

Too many illustrations won't make the consumer focus more. One large will surelly do.

Just my thoughts.

gsvec
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I like the last one the best, Jared. Thanks for asking our opinions!!

Patrick
09-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Hello again,

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

This is my favorite and to me, the most appealing, of the ads.

( attachment name : new King ad v1.jpg )
I agree.

Centipede
09-14-2009, 04:09 AM
Thank you for all your opinions on the advertising. I think I am going to have to settle on one Whelan and one Brautigam. I am thinking of the following eight images:

Brautigam Night Shift (hand with eyes)
Whelan Dark Tower (new work)
The Stand image (guys fighting)
Don Maitz (Desperation cop)
Bob Giusti (It image)
Dave Christensen (Salem's Lot)
David Ho (Girl who loved Tom Gordon; girl in woods)
or is this too obscure? I want to feature a new work
Douglas Smith (The Shining, new work)

Should I keep the Whelan Firestarter as well? That's such a strong image. I think that these, however, are strong images.

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

turtlex
09-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Hmmm... IMO - The pic from Tom Gordon is such a different style than the others - I think I would leave it to emphasize the range of artwork and styles in the book.

biomieg
09-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I agree with Pam; TGWLTG is very different and not many people (if any? I don't know whether or not it has been published elsewhere) have seen it. I think it's a very beautiful piece.

Ben Mears
09-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Good mix.

wizardsrainbow
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Great Jerad!

Bev Vincent
09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I just had a chance to peruse this book and it looks amazing. I love Don Maitz's painting from Duma Key, and I'm really glad to see Drew Struzan's Dark Tower illo from The Mist. I had to breeze through it because I'm on a deadline, but I really look forward to spending some more time with it. Darabont's intro is great, too.

Centipede
09-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey everyone,

I think that this is probably the final ad. I think there is a good mix of old and new images. I'm going to run with this one. The advantage to an ad like this rather than an ad that just has one image is that you can clearly see that there is a bunch of art in the book. With one picture only, the viewer might think that it is only a book about Wrightson, or Whelan, or whoever -- unless, of course, we took out several such ads in one magazine.

Thanks again everyone!

Jerd

jhanic
09-15-2009, 04:49 AM

John

biomieg
09-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Lovely, Jerad!

gsvec
09-15-2009, 05:18 AM
I love the final choices. Well done, Jerad!! :rock:

turtlex
09-15-2009, 05:31 AM
I like it !!

CRinVA
09-15-2009, 05:44 AM
It pains me to Not order this book, but I have to wisely pick and choose my purchases, what with three kids in college right now! I chose the S/L Under the Dome for $200 vice this $250 unsigned version. I may come to regret it after the fact! :-(

Ari_Racing
09-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Perfect. It has some of the best illustrations known and also has incredible new ones. :)
:rock:

frik
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm so glad I ordered a traycase edition.
Hope the release-date won't be too far in the future.

sk

jhanic
09-15-2009, 07:04 AM
It's scheduled for November of this year. Jerad has been pretty good about meeting his dates.

John

mae
09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for using that Night Shift art!

I do hold hope that this book could see some sort of a trade edition. I'd love to get all this artwork but it's just way out of my price range for something like this. Centipede had that great 'Salem's Lot book which later was released in a mass-market edition...

Ben Mears
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I think that this is probably the final ad. I think there is a good mix of old and new images. I'm going to run with this one. The advantage to an ad like this rather than an ad that just has one image is that you can clearly see that there is a bunch of art in the book. With one picture only, the viewer might think that it is only a book about Wrightson, or Whelan, or whoever -- unless, of course, we took out several such ads in one magazine.

Thanks again everyone!

Jerd

Sorry to see that you dropped 'Salem's Lot.

frik
09-15-2009, 09:36 AM
It's scheduled for November of this year. Jerad has been pretty good about meeting his dates.

John

But I thought there was a delay with the signed editions.
Or with the Michael Whelan remarques??

sk

Cloysterpete
09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for using that Night Shift art!

I do hold hope that this book could see some sort of a trade edition. I'd love to get all this artwork but it's just way out of my price range for something like this. Centipede had that great 'Salem's Lot book which later was released in a mass-market edition...

Do you mean the Salem's Lot Illustrated ed?, because I got that because it was such a nice release, never even knew it was by Centipede.

This book is also WAY out of my budget so I would hope for a similar release to Salem's also.

Patrick
09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Jerad, personally I like the second ad you posted just the way it is - with all 8 pictures. It gives a glimpse into the different styles and artists involved and grabs my attention. If you only included one picture and it didn't happen to be one that grabbed me - or one I felt I already owned in a book, I might not be swayed by the small print text telling me that there are other artists involved.

Hey everyone,

Thanks again everyone!

Jerad

Nerak
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
It's pretty sweet! :clap:

wizardsrainbow
09-15-2009, 05:27 PM

John

Yes he is. That said, for those of you who ordered the deluxe version with Whelan remarque, I think those won't ship until well into next year. MW is heavily involved in another project, and I am not aware that he has started the 50 remarques for this edition yet. I hope I am wrong, but I plan to ask him soon as I should see him within the next week.

Rahfa
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Great choices for the advertisement...I mean, the more 'esoteric' selections were nice, but that's what you're buying the book for...

For an ad, I think it was best to use the very memorable images that were selected...seeing Night Shift's hand, the It claw, etc. in one place sums up perfectly what the book is trying to accomplish.

willie3
09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

John

Yes he is. That said, for those of you who ordered the deluxe version with Whelan remarque, I think those won't ship until well into next year. MW is heavily involved in another project, and I am not aware that he has started the 50 remarques for this edition yet. I hope I am wrong, but I plan to ask him soon as I should see him within the next week.

Please keep us posted.
Was really looking forward to this Christmas present...

Centipede
09-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions for artwork for the ad.

New item: I have two reviews of Knowing Darkness posted on the centipede website. They can be read here:

http://centipedepress.com/skartreviews.html

and here:

http://centipedepress.com/skartreviews2.html

The reviews also have a number of page spreads, most of which you will have seen here. These are some decent reviews. Enjoy! And thank you again.

Jerad

Rahfa
09-16-2009, 07:07 AM
I never realized how well the 1978 "Stand" cover captured the book's 'epic' feel, as pictured in that review spread...it's a totally different feel without the cover text.

Bev Vincent
09-16-2009, 07:13 AM
there's a goya painting that seems to have been the inspiration for that cover. they put a section of the painting next to the cover for comparison in The Stephen King Illustrated Companion.

mae
09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
The book is cheapest at buy.com right now, but still too rich for me. If it was around 100 I'd bite, but in this economy I can't down very much on pretty pictures. :(

mutantskeleton
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Any advice on how to view attachments? I can't seem to view any of them? Thanks!

Also, I am one of the contributing artists to the book, Aeron Alfrey.

Patrick
09-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Welcome to TDT.com, Aeron. Hope you stick around and join in the discussions.

In the meantime you should be able to view attachments by clicking on them to make them larger.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-17-2009, 02:34 AM
Welcome Aeron.

What King story inspired you the most to draw about?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

mutantskeleton
09-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the help, Patrick. It seems that when I click on attachments it sends me to a page with the following text? "you do not have permission to access this page."

mulleins, mine is a digital artwork inspired by The Mist involving one of the more... epic.. scenes from the last part of the book. I spent 3 months working on the artwork and it was one of the funnest things I've ever made. I originally read the story in an old paperback collection of horror stories by various authors in the summer of 97, it has remained one of my favorite tales of horror. You could fill an entire cryptozoology book with the number of monsters I managed to fit into the picture!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Aeron

Look forward to seeing your work. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
09-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Just an FYI. I moved the posts in this thread discussing the 'SALEM'S LOT Deluxe for sale into the newly created separate thread.

Thanks.

Centipede
09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Some good news! Artists Inspired by Stephen King trade
edition in slipcase will be shipping from Asia in late
September. The signed edition will follow about a week
later, around October 7 through the 10. It will take a good
month for these books to go across the water, and then
another week or two for them to go by truck to their
destinations.

Remember: this book will not undergo any more delays.
The pages have been printed, folded, and bound, and we
are only waiting on the printed cloth to finish drying.
We all know that small press books usually experience some
small delays. But this book will be on the water in a week's
time and we are sticking very close to our original deadline.

This means that the trade edition will be shipping in early
November, and the signed edition in mid to late November.
Please bear in mind that there is just one person here
doing all this work and it will take a few weeks to get
everything done.

Regarding the edition with the Michael Whelan remarque, I
am hoping that the remarques will be done in the next month
and that the finished books will be shipping in early to mid
December. As I receive more information from Michael, I will
let you know.

If you are interested in this book, the price on the trade
edition is still $250 and the signed is $895, for domestic
orders. At these prices, the book is a steal for what you
get. The sample books that I just looked through are
astonishing. Please note that we were offering a free
signed print for orders of the trade edition through our
site. Although we have discontinued the signed print offer,
you can still receive any print in the original list,
unsigned, with any order. Not a bad deal, really.

Thank you again for all your support.

Jerad Walters

Ben Mears
09-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Some good news! Artists Inspired by Stephen King trade
edition in slipcase will be shipping from Asia in late
September. The signed edition will follow about a week
later, around October 7 through the 10. It will take a good
month for these books to go across the water, and then
another week or two for them to go by truck to their
destinations.

Remember: this book will not undergo any more delays.
The pages have been printed, folded, and bound, and we
are only waiting on the printed cloth to finish drying.
We all know that small press books usually experience some
small delays. But this book will be on the water in a week's
time and we are sticking very close to our original deadline.

This means that the trade edition will be shipping in early
November, and the signed edition in mid to late November.
Please bear in mind that there is just one person here
doing all this work and it will take a few weeks to get
everything done.

Regarding the edition with the Michael Whelan remarque, I
am hoping that the remarques will be done in the next month
and that the finished books will be shipping in early to mid
December. As I receive more information from Michael, I will
let you know.

If you are interested in this book, the price on the trade
edition is still $250 and the signed is $895, for domestic
orders. At these prices, the book is a steal for what you
get. The sample books that I just looked through are
astonishing. Please note that we were offering a free
signed print for orders of the trade edition through our
site. Although we have discontinued the signed print offer,
you can still receive any print in the original list,
unsigned, with any order. Not a bad deal, really.

Thank you again for all your support.

Jerad Walters

Thanks for the update and hard work Jerad. Sounds like this will be a stunning book and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

jhanic
09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
:excited:

John

CRinVA
09-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Man o Man!

I wish my budget had a spare $250 lurking in my hip pocket!

I'll have to get this book on the secondary market some time off in the future! :-)

dyetye
09-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Man o Man!

I wish my budget had a spare $250 lurking in my hip pocket!

I'll have to get this book on the secondary market some time off in the future! :-)

Yeah, same here...I can't spring $250 for this:(

Ben Mears
09-23-2009, 07:24 AM
This book will be a knockout and is a must have. Centipede produces some of the best and highest quality limited edition books on the market and consistently delivers them on time. Respectfully understanding these are challenging times, if there is any way you can afford a copy it will be well worth the investment.

Patrick
09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
After seeing David's posts this morning in the Remarques thread, I'm now even more jealous of anyone who is springing for the most expensive edition of KNOWING DARKNESS that comes with a Michael Whelan remarque. Those are going to be beautiful!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
After seeing David's posts this morning in the Remarques thread, I'm now even more jealous of anyone who is springing for the most expensive edition of KNOWING DARKNESS that comes with a Michael Whelan remarque. Those are going to be beautiful!

:rock: I agree :dance:

I know mine will be delayed because of the Whelan remarque but well worth it.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Just as a point of reference, Charnel House is considered by many to be the ultimate in unique high quality book production. They are offering a lettered edition of a novella by Tim Powers for $1,250. 108 pages, 5"x8". Probably worth it to 26 people as I can't recall any of their lettered editions losing value, but Knowing Darkness should be even more visually stunning.

AIMB
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I want this soooo bad but work is off and on right now. Anyone know the chances that the 250$ copy will still be availible around Xmas time?????? :(

Centipede
09-24-2009, 02:45 AM
There will be plenty of copies available by Christmas. No worries there!

AIMB
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
:excited:

Centipede
09-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Look everyone, I don't want to cannibalize my own sales, but have you looked into Amazon for this book? I think Amazon has the item listed for $188, which is over $100 off the retail price, and they offer free shipping, and you can order your copy now and you won't get billed until the book ships.

A couple things that I know for sure:

The book won't ever be reprinted. If you are holding out for a cheap paperback reissue, forget it. I don't want to hassle with it, and no other publisher is going to be willing to negotiate rights with the 80 different artists in the book. A paperback of this book is a pipe dream. It'll never happen.

Second: sooner or later the book will sell out. I am going to totally bombard the media with review copies when I get them in, and I expect strong sales through Christmas, especially when people see the book and start telling their friends about it and posting pictures online. This book is not a 6 x 9 or 8 x 12 hardcover with a few color plates. It is 11 x 15 inches and weighs 15 lbs. It is four color all the way through.

One final note. If you are considering purchasing the signed edition, that book is selling pretty well. The edition is strictly 300 copies, out of which all of the contributors' copies will be dispersed, so the number gets smaller every day. The signed copies with the Whelan remarques come out of the same pool.

On the deluxe edition, I am down to about 3 copies before it is fully subscribed.

One thing you can count on: the $250 price for the book right now is a steal. Any other publisher in our field would be charging you twice as much and giving you half the book. Really, this book has got it all. All the Wrightson, all the Whelan, all the Dameron, all the Gervais, virtually all of the limited edition art from the books over the years, except here it is printed larger and more beautifully than in any of those books. I cannot imagine one King fan being disappointed with their purchase.

Jerad

biomieg
09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Hear, hear! :) I'm glad that you've made this book happen, Jerad... everyone gets to decide for themselves whether to purchase a copy or not... and once it's sold out, nobody can say they didn't get their chance.

mikeC
09-25-2009, 06:07 AM
As an art lover/collector and SK fan this book is a dream come true and it's awesome that Jared is putting his whole heart into it makes it even better. I struggled with buying the signed artist edition but when Jared explained how many prints are included I was sold, Basically you're getting alot for free and from what i've seen an amazing unique book. I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I really just had to say F it and go all in.
I'm not sure about the value as an SK piece but from an art piece it will be very valuable.

Although no Lisey's Story art makes me sad.

frik
09-25-2009, 07:21 AM
I already ordered the signed edition.
And now I'm contemplating ordering the regular one...:orely:

sk

Rahfa
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Look everyone, I don't want to cannibalize my own sales, but have you looked into Amazon for this book? I think Amazon has the item listed for $188, which is over $100 off the retail price, and they offer free shipping, and you can order your copy now and you won't get billed until the book ships.

A couple things that I know for sure:

The book won't ever be reprinted. If you are holding out for a cheap paperback reissue, forget it. I don't want to hassle with it, and no other publisher is going to be willing to negotiate rights with the 80 different artists in the book. A paperback of this book is a pipe dream. It'll never happen.

Second: sooner or later the book will sell out. I am going to totally bombard the media with review copies when I get them in, and I expect strong sales through Christmas, especially when people see the book and start telling their friends about it and posting pictures online. This book is not a 6 x 9 or 8 x 12 hardcover with a few color plates. It is 11 x 15 inches and weighs 15 lbs. It is four color all the way through.

One final note. If you are considering purchasing the signed edition, that book is selling pretty well. The edition is strictly 300 copies, out of which all of the contributors' copies will be dispersed, so the number gets smaller every day. The signed copies with the Whelan remarques come out of the same pool.

On the deluxe edition, I am down to about 3 copies before it is fully subscribed.

One thing you can count on: the $250 price for the book right now is a steal. Any other publisher in our field would be charging you twice as much and giving you half the book. Really, this book has got it all. All the Wrightson, all the Whelan, all the Dameron, all the Gervais, virtually all of the limited edition art from the books over the years, except here it is printed larger and more beautifully than in any of those books. I cannot imagine one King fan being disappointed with their purchase.

Jerad

These are business questions that are not MY business, but I'm still curious...

How do the Amazon sales work? Obviously, it's still your book, so you must make less of a cut? What's the upside? Other than obviously easier and quicker sales? Wouldn't it make more money to sell them yourselves?

Couldn't you send reviewers a smaller prospectus version? It seems pretty costly to send these books out for free when most reviewers might be pretty impressed by just an excerpt...

Anyway...totally not my business, but I'm certainly curious how it works.

If you have a complete signuatre page to post at any time, please do.

herbertwest
09-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah i'd like to know also about the amazon sales. Coz it's a lot cheaper, but if in the end you dont get some money for it...

Please let us know

Good idea the prospectus...

mae
09-25-2009, 09:32 AM
It's even cheaper than that at Buy.com. But still way too expensive for me. Especially in this economy.

Brice
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
If there were any way I could before the new year I'd do it, but there will be no more major book purchases for me this year. I'm guessing the best I can hope for is a good price on the secondary market next year. I thought it was pretty damn cool of you to point out the cheaper price on Amazon though, Jerad. :)

Centipede
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Look everyone, I know that George wrote the text for the book, but he received his sample book earlier this week and had this to say:

"The word awesome is, like the word sales, used and abused to the point
of absurdity. For years, I've only thought of two instances in which I
could EVER use the word in a sentence: I stood in front of God Himself
and He is awesome. Or, I witnessed the explosion of an atomic bomb in
Almagordo, New Mexico, and it was an awesome sight.

"Now I can add a third: Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen
King is awesome. In every sense of the word. My God, the clarity of
the art, the exquisite printing, the layout itself--so inviting--and
the sheer scope of the book, buttressed by my modest contributions of
text, stand witness to what is the art book of the year. No King fan
can afford to be without this book: beg, borrow or steal what you
must, King fans, but this book literally overshadows all the other
books on King.

"It takes a publisher with one hell of a vision to pull this off.

"Jerad, you pulled it off.

"And I salute you."

gsvec
09-25-2009, 04:27 PM
:rock::nana::rock:

Wonderful review, Jared!

Centipede
09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey gsvec, is that your father in those pictures?

gsvec
09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey gsvec, is that your father in those pictures?
It sure is! :wub:

Gretchen

frik
09-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, I went for it and pre-ordered a regular copy on Amazon.
Two different editions of the same book...:drool:

sk

Eric719691
09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I just ordered my copy of the regular copy. Would love a signed edition, but am receiving a lot of flack for the amount I have spent this month.

gsvec
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Jerad, is this truly the cover art?? (Image stolen from Amazon) - I love it!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510GYr3h28L._SS500_.jpg

Centipede
09-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Here's another review of Artists Inspired by Stephen King:

I t’s become a bit of a cliche to say that Stephen King is a very “visual” writer, hasn't it? This has always meant, “His stories make great movies.” But in Knowing Darkness, we are finally gifted with a full understanding of what being a visual writer actually means.

The art inspired by Stephen King in the pages of this epic tome is magnificent*–*and, in many cases, creepy and scary as all hell. King fans will immediately recognize some of the art: book covers, art from popular editions and limited editions, mainstream images seen everywhere over the years. But much will be new to the reader, and wondrous and dark delights await those who are seeing some of these nightmare images for the first time.

The roster of artists is stunning. George Beahm and the fine folks at Centipede Press have done an amazing job compiling and presenting the finest King-inspired art. The intro by Frank Darabont sets the tone. It begins: “Let’s talk love. I love art.” And we're off and running.

The book is arranged chronologically in three sections: Early Art: 1974-1984; Middle Art: 1985-1995; and Current Art: 1996-Present. And in addition to the widely-known stuff, rare treasures abound. I’m honored to have art by Katherine Flickinger that I commissioned for my Stephen King Encyclopedia included in the book. There are sketches and remarques; color and pen-and-ink; full-page masterworks and small, subtle line drawings.
Darabont talks about a conversation he had with King about doing a book like this. He reports that King balked due to the scope and the work involved. Thankfully, Jerad Walters of Centipede Press, George Beahm, and a slew of talented artists took a swing at the project. And the result is a home run.

*–*Stephen Spignesi, author of The Complete Stphen King Encylopedia, The Lost Work of Stephen King, The Essential Stephen King, and The Stephen King Quiz Book, Vols. I & II

Nerak
09-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Great reviews Jerad!

Centipede
09-28-2009, 03:33 AM
This review is from Kevin Quigley at Charnel House:

Knowing Darkness

A Review by Kevin Quigley

We here at Charnel House were fortunate enough to get our hands on the new Centipede Press publication, Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired By Stephen King. A big part of me wants to say that I have no words, because it’s so hard to describe something like this.

There has been a gap so big in the world of Stephen King criticism and appreciation that one scarcely knew it existed. Books almost without number have been written about King’s novels and short stories, and the film and television adaptations they’ve spawned. But no book has ever taken an in-depth look at the art inspired by King, and I am here to tell you that the wait has been worth it.

There will be a much more in-depth review to come, but my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. This book is packed with pictures – illustrations from King’s hardcovers and paperbacks, limited and foreign editions. There are illuminating interviews with King mainstays such as Bernie Wrightson, who delves into depths about his art and the stories behind when it spins from King’s text. There are extended looks at lauded artists such as Michael Whelan and Ned Dameron (whose beautiful illustrations for The Waste Lands are reprinted here in full color), but it also focuses on far more unsung heroes such as Bob Giusti (whose cover art for It and Misery remain striking and memorable) and Rob Wood (who did the covers for Gerald’s Game and Dolores Claiborne, two covers I personally love.) And all the art is here. All of it.

Folks, a book like this is rare and special. It’s terrific for collectors who buy limited editions for the art within, but it’s also made for folks who simply like the books they buy at the store. The paperback images that invited me in when I was a teenager and just getting into King are all here, present and accounted for, and flipping through this book is like looking at a timeline of my own past. This book is an unqualified success, one of the very best ever written about the phenomenon of Stephen King. Take a look at the website and learn more... but I urge you to pre-order if you haven’t already. I can guarantee you, it’s worth it.

Centipede
09-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey everyone,

Here is a remarque from Michael Whelan for Artists Inspired by Stephen King. Michael also writes the following:

"Please advise your readers that I will be varying some aspects of
these over time [like i usually do] and that colors or media may
change over the span the remarques as i get them done, so
don't be TOO set on what is being represented here. I aint a
MacDonalds, and I intend to have some fun with them...but my feeling
is that variety is what makes each one unique, right?
I will be sending you some more, and as you get more and post them as
samples people will get an even better idea of what to expect."

http://centipedepress.com/Whelanremarque1.jpg

Ari_Racing
09-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Ok...I'm officially speechless :)

INCREDIBLE!

jhanic
09-30-2009, 04:53 AM
WOW!!!

John

Randall Flagg
09-30-2009, 06:43 AM
That works for me!

wizardsrainbow
09-30-2009, 08:52 AM
OMG! That's really wonderful.

Centipede
10-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Hey everyone,

The special pricing on Artists Inspired by Stephen King ends soon. I was going to end the sale today, October 1st, but have decided to keep it going for a little while longer. The trade edition is still $250 and you receive a free print, unsigned, with any order. The signed edition is also still at a good price, $895. These prices will go up to $295 and $995 very soon.

If you are interested in the signed book, either with or without the Whelan remarque, I still am willing to work with anyone regarding any type of payment plan over 2, 3 and 4 months. So if you order either edition now, you get the better price, plus the benefit of spreading the payments out over time.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and advice.

Jerad

Centipede
10-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I have heard that Stephen King is going to be at the Barnes & Noble in Atlanta, 2900 Peachtree Road NE, suite 310, 404-261-7747, at 7:00 pm on November 13. If anyone lives in the area, this might be a good opportunity to take Artists Inspired by Stephen King down there and have the man sign it himself. Anyone up for trying?!

Jerad

Centipede
10-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Here is another Whelan remarque that has been done for Knowing Darkness. There will also be some vampires and horror things coming. Enjoy!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Presentation12.jpg

Fsmdr
10-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow!!. :drool:

Randall Flagg
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Fabulous.

jhanic
10-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I love it!

John

Centipede
10-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Also bear in mind that these remarques are not little ones in a 6 x 9 book: they are on 11 x 15 paper and thus huge.

Jerad

Centipede
10-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Here are some pictures of the actual book Knowing Darkess:

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness01.jpg
This is of the book itself inside the slipcase and in the shrink wrap.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness02.jpg
The photo is not that great, but you can see the size of the book in comparison with the Philtrum edition of The Eyes of the Dragon and a regular hardcover of The Shining.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness03.jpg
And here's the back side of the slipcase. I will post some more pictures tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Jerad

frik
10-05-2009, 04:09 AM
This is going to be so great.
I've got the Piltrum book, and it's huge!
Can't wait for more!!

sk

Randall Flagg
10-05-2009, 05:44 AM
That book is massive.:rock:

Ari_Racing
10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
MY GOD! :)

Patrick
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Good Lord, it's giant!

Not a necessity, Jerad, but I'd love to see a photo of it standing up - next to the S/L of 'SALEM'S LOT. If not, that's ok too. Thanks.

biomieg
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Good Lord, it's giant!

Not a necessity, Jerad, but I'd love to see a photo of it standing up - next to the S/L of 'SALEM'S LOT. If not, that's ok too. Thanks.

Lilja has posted a couple of pictures of the book standing up. Alas, not with an S/L of 'Salem's Lot but to compensate there's a pretty girl in the pics as well.

Centipede
10-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Here are some more pictures of Knowing Darkness.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness04.jpg
The front cover.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness05.jpg
The back cover.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness06.jpg
contents page

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness07.jpg
Stephen Gervais start page with fold-out of Christine.

Thanks everyone.

wizardsrainbow
10-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Jerad-

It looks wonderful!

Brice
10-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, it does! :)

Off topic, but Jerad what is that item above The Shining in those pics?

Nerak
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Holy BIG BOOK, Batman!!!!!

mutantskeleton
10-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Jerad, any chance of a pic showing the detail shots of my mist piece that I see peeking behind that first page? Really beautiful looking book you've made here!

Centipede
10-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Hey everyone,

The item above The Shining is a small slipsheet about the book with pricing and bar code. Here are some more pictures:

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness08.jpg
Potter with Shining hedge lion fold-out.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness09.jpg
Ned Dameron spread.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness10.jpg
Michael Whelan with that Legends Tower image.

More will be coming!

Also, if you are interested in the deluxe edition, the website says that there is 15 signed prints of 17 x 22 size. Actually, there are more like 22 prints, but a handful are not signed (the artists are deceased).

Thanks again!

Jerad

ewald
10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
The best of the best, together in one book. A "MUST HAVE"!

Centipede
10-08-2009, 03:23 AM
http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness11.jpg
The new Doug Smith works for The Shining.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness12.jpg
Aeron Alfrey's endsheets, inspired by The Mist.

Tomorrow I will post some pictures of the signed prints for the deluxe edition. Thanks for looking!

Jerad

herbertwest
10-08-2009, 09:34 AM
every single picture that you share are so tempting...
cant wait to get my wage !

mutantskeleton
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Jerad. I'm glad I stumbled across this messageboard, get to see this stuff a little early. Everything looks incredible. While the Mist image is primarily a portrait of that 6 legged monster, it is also a showcase of one hundred some smaller creatures, each of which I put a great deal of time creating. I appreciate that these detail shots will let people see those creatures in such detail.

Patrick
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Centipede
10-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Here are a couple pictures of some of the extra prints that come with the deluxe edition. These prints are a giant 17 x 22 paper on Hanhemuhle paper.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness13.jpg
John Picacio's Salem's Lot

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness14.jpg
JK Potter's Skeleton Crew

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness15.jpg
Zach McCain's Lord Malshun or whatever his name was

More to come!

Rahfa
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Can you post some samples of the signauture pages of the deluxe, or have they not come in yet?

Centipede
10-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Posting pictures of the signature pages is a good idea! I will get those done this weekend! In the meantime, here is one or two more pictures of the large prints.

http://centipedepress.com/KnowingDarkness16.jpg
Dave Christensen's The Shining on 17 x 22 Hanhemuhle, signed.

Thanks!

Jerad

Dolan
10-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Jared - I wish your production was done through NYC... I would love to work for you...

These books are stunning.

Centipede
10-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Hey everyone,

The signature pages for Knowing Darkness are very nice. It is a 12 page section that is sewn into the book. Over the next few days, I will post the pages from the booklet.

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages1.jpg
This is the title page to this section.

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages2.jpg
This spread has the signatures of Jill Bauman, Rick Berry, Thomas Canty, John Cayea, Glenn Chadbourne, and Dave Christensen.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jerad

biomieg
10-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Just when I thought things couldn't get any better.... :P (not that I'm getting the signed edition but I just love to see stuff like this...)

biomieg
10-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Oh and by the way, too bad that the Lord Malshun print was not included in the selection of prints us mere mortals could get with the trade edition of the book! I LOVE IT!!!

Randall Flagg
10-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Great way to do it.

frik
10-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Amazing!! :clap:
I wish December were here already...

sk

Rahfa
10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Those signature pages are great...now I'm actually toying with the idea of the deluxe edition...might try to sell some things to finance it.

I know you said it somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look - how many artisits signed it in total?

EDIT: Never mind...found out it was 33...Hey, did Frank Darabont sign the editon too? He did NOT, right?

jhanic
10-12-2009, 08:45 AM
<Twiddling thumbs>, <drumming fingers> Patiently (?) waiting for a month or so.

John

Rahfa
10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
In addition to my other comments...

The 12x17 prints are loose-bound, right? So theoretically they could be framed as individually signed prints and all hang on a wall by themselves?

And, just to clarify - the 300 signed editions include both contributors copies, and the 50 copies that Whelan will remarque?

So, at the $895 price, there are 300 minus 50 deluxe minus contributors? So something like approx. 250 that will actually be available at that price?

Centipede
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Dear Rahfa,

The signed edition is 300 copies. The 50 Whelan remarqued editions come out of this, leaving 250. The contributors copies also come out of this, leaving approximately 220 left to sell. Frank Darabont did NOT sign the book, that is correct. More signature pages to come up tomorrow. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I will have some pictures posted of the signed edition traycase very soon!

If you are interested in the deluxe edition, those 12 x 17 prints (on 17 x 22 paper) are signed (most of them; a couple of the artists are deceased) and loose, so they are suitable for framing. I would advise putting a good UV blocking glass, probably that museum glass, as a cover.

Jerad

Patrick
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Those signature pages are great, Jerad! I love how each artist's block has a sample of their work. :thumbsup:

Sam
10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I think that's the best part of the signature pages. Even better than the sigs IMO. I wish I could afford this book.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I would advise putting a good UV blocking glass, probably that museum glass, as a cover.

Jerad

I'm not trying to derail this thread so this can be moved to a more appropriate place if needed.

We had a similar discussion at PalaverCon during dinner with Rick & Sheila Berry.

What is reccomended due to being shatter proof and sill clear as glass:

Optium Museum Acrylic®

It is a sole source product from

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/optium-museum-acrylic/

If your painting, picture, photograph, etc. accidentally falls, you won't have the worry about glass breaking and going through the artwork.

It can happen. One of our own members here had this happen and a shard of glass went through her #'ed signed painting.

I don't know the cost because I haven't ordered yet, :ninja: I need to get the rest of my paintings, pictures, & artwork finished and hanging.

OK.....back to the normally scheduled program presented by Jerad :dance:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-13-2009, 02:47 AM
I think Ralph's info is good advice and could be added to the Collector's Tutorial section.

Centipede
10-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Here are pages 4 and 5 of the signature section.

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages3.jpg
Kinuko Y, Craft, Ned Dameron, Jason Eckhardt, Les Edwards, Bob Eggleton, Linda Fennimore.

Did anyone on this board ever see the Artists Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft signature pages? Those were amazing!

Jerad

Centipede
10-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Hey everyone,

Here are two more pages from the Knowing Darkness signatures.

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages4.jpg]

Stephen Gervais, Mark Geyer, Phil Hale, David Ho, Allen Koszowski, Don Maitz.

More to come! Thanks for looking!

turtlex
10-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Wow. This is already one of those "dream books" of mine... I only wish I had the money to order one right now. Looks simply beautiful !

ewald
10-14-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm counting down the days untill the postman brings me my slipcased edition!

I can hardly wait ...

Centipede
10-15-2009, 03:21 AM
http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages5.jpg

Zach McCain, Dave McKean, Alex McVey, John Jude Palencar, David Palladini, John Picacio.

Thanks again for looking!

Jerad

mikeC
10-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Awesome, I cant beleive McKean signed!
Jared is there any McKean Prints?

mae
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Man this has art from every single King book it seems. Even Different Seasons. Wow.

Centipede
10-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Hey everyone,

Here is another spread from Knowing Darkness signature pages:

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages6.jpg

J.K. Potter, Don Punchatz, Rowena, Mark Ryden, Douglas Smith, Steven Stroud

The McKean signature is great, as is the Mark Ryden signature. Mark is mostly known as a gallery artist. There is still more to come!

You are right, the book has artwork from just about every single King book published. There are not, unfortunately, any separate McKean prints.

Best,

Jerad

Gris
10-16-2009, 05:30 AM
I wish this was actually affordable :(

Centipede
10-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Here is the last page of the signature pages.

http://centipedepress.com/KDsigpages7.jpg

Drew Struzan, Michael Whelan, and Bernie Wrightson.

As for the book being affordable or not, the unsigned edition is merely $190 on Amazon. Postpaid.

Jerad

Ari_Racing
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Well...that page has the signatures of three of the greatest artists in the field. Drew Struzan's artwork is beyond imagination.

mae
10-19-2009, 07:35 AM
As for the book being affordable or not, the unsigned edition is merely $190 on Amazon. Postpaid.

I realize what you're getting here is priceless, but nearly two hundred bucks for a book, with all due respect, is hardly "merely" - especially these days, when disposable income is much harder to come by and justify.

Gris
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM

I realize what you're getting here is priceless, but nearly two hundred bucks for a book, with all due respect, is hardly "merely" - especially these days, when disposable income is much harder to come by and justify.

agreed. I convinced my wife to let us skip going out to a restaurant once every other week for 3 months in exchange for the $200 it cost for the SIGNED LIMITED EDITION Under the Dome. There is no way I was going to be able to convince her to let me spend another $200 the cheapest incarnation of available of an art book, no matter how nice it is.

e_taylor
10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I wish this was actually affordable :(

Thats like saying, "I wish an ounce of gold was affordable - $1000 is unreasonable - why can't they offer gold colored tin foil for $10 an ounce?".

You can say that you can't afford it, but to say its not affordable is inaccurate. Considering the production values, this book is quite affordable.

mikeC
10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
agreed. I convinced my wife to let us skip going out to a restaurant once every other week for 3 months in exchange for the $200 it cost for the SIGNED LIMITED EDITION Under the Dome. There is no way I was going to be able to convince her to let me spend another $200 the cheapest incarnation of available of an art book, no matter how nice it is.

You're not really comparing art to a dinky trade publication with a signature in it are you?

Cutter
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM

You're not really comparing art to a dinky trade publication with a signature in it are you?

I have to agree Under the Dome will look like a pile of doggie doo compared to this book. But you do get the King signature in Under the Dome... but then again that's why you are paying $200 for the book: for King's sig not for production quality of the book.

Ben Mears
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Affordability is an individual circumstance and not to be taken lightly. Jerad is likely referring to the value of the book and for $200 Knowing Darkness is a great value. It is a gorgeous volume with superior design and materials. These are indeed challenging times but take a moment to think how difficult it must be to operate a one man specialty publishing venture in the current economic climate and turn out the caliber of product that Centipede does. For someone dealing with the type of financial risks that Jerad faces it is understandable that he characterizes it as "merely" $190.

Ari_Racing
10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't forget that Jerad also had to deal with more than 30 artists. I really believe that the book has an excellent price.

Randall Flagg
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Excellent points from all. I hope this thread continues to be a celebration/advance preview of the book, and not a lamenting about being unable to at this time afford the book.
Value is of course subjective. I think this book is a value.
Full disclosure-I ordered the Deluxe with sigs, artwork etc. I received no discount. I only triumph this book as it promises to be truly fantastic.

Gris
10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I do agree with what is being said and that for what you get in this beautiful book, the $200 is a fair price tag. Let me rescind what what I said and say...

I wish it was within my means to buy this book. Hopefully I can find one on the secondary market one day when money is more readily available.

jhanic
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm sure you'll be able to find one later on, but I don't know if you'll be able to match that price.

John

Rahfa
10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I dunno...I think it's a niche enough item that copies will be floating around at issue price or close to it, for a long time to come. Dealers will get a break on the issue price, and will be able to sell at close to $200 for instance.

To be clear - $200 is a GREAT price. I have a few photo books that are much less impressive that cost just as much.

$895 is also a really good price, considering the bang for the buck.

Centipede
10-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on the price. More than likely, the book will be available on amazon for some time at a good price. so I wouldn't worry about it selling out anytime soon. I do find it humorous, though, that if a certain publisher notorious for being late with books were to offer any King-related book with a King signature, and at probably three times the price of my art book, most people here would be borrowing money at 16% interest, and then would wait a good 48-60 months for the book to finally appear! Just an observation...

jhanic
10-20-2009, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't say "most people" regarding this forum. Most of us have learned our lesson.

John

Rahfa
10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on the price. More than likely, the book will be available on amazon for some time at a good price. so I wouldn't worry about it selling out anytime soon. I do find it humorous, though, that if a certain publisher notorious for being late with books were to offer any King-related book with a King signature, and at probably three times the price of my art book, most people here would be borrowing money at 16% interest, and then would wait a good 48-60 months for the book to finally appear! Just an observation...

Yeah, those days are over...maybe in 2007 people like me would have done that, but not anymore! I would not pay $50 for any book this "unnamed" publisher offered. The fact that you are trusted to deliver on time is a big element that's keeping people interested in your books.

So, no, that comparison is not valid...sorry! To me, this is an exciting niche product that belongs in a serious King collection - but it's still not a King book. People have priorities in their collecting, and this will fit for some and not for others. Those of us who are excited will eventually find the money, don't worry.

You've priced it perfectly well...if anything, a little higher would be okay...and you can always raise the price as you sell through the edition...

jhanic
10-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Well said!

John

Patrick
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with John and Rahfa wholeheartedly.

Centipede
10-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I am going to try and get some good pictures of the signed edition, with the extra prints and the large traycase, posted on the site in the next couple days.

Jerad

biomieg
10-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Jerad, when do you expect to start shipping the unsigned slipcased edition to Europe? Simultaneously with the domestic orders, or...?

(I remember when I ordered the LSOE gift edition from Grant; they processed international orders after domestic orders, I believe)

wahlers
10-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Ever since the 1993 Stephen King Calendar had come out which the cover art of books for each month (free of text), I thought it would be wonderful if somebody would put out a book of only the cover art.

Everybody told me that it was stupid and nobody would buy it, but it has been on my list of things that I thought were a good idea and that I really wanted ever since. Very few of those things ever end up happening, so I jumped on this preorder as soon as I saw it and could scrounge up the money because it seemed like somebody had read my mind. :)

And, based on the printing, paper and binding of the Lovecraft artbook, this book should be beautiful. I don't think, given the size, quality and amount of artwork that is in this that $200 is asking too much. If you browse art and coffee table books at book stores, you'll find that a lot people are asking for a lot more for a lot less.

On a sidenote Jerad, are there any interesting stories of tracking down any of the artwork or dealing with any of the artists that you might be able to share with us at some point?

Centipede
10-22-2009, 03:09 AM
With the orders, I will be shipping them in mid to late November, just as soon as books get in the warehouse. I am probably going to ship the international orders a little bit after the domestic ones, but they will all happen within a few weeks of each. Please, one thing to remember, is that I am just one person doing all this packing myself and it will take a little time to get everything out the door! If you ordered from me, you'll receive an email in the next few weeks detailing all of this. Thanks again!

biomieg
10-22-2009, 04:17 AM
With the orders, I will be shipping them in mid to late November, just as soon as books get in the warehouse. I am probably going to ship the international orders a little bit after the domestic ones, but they will all happen within a few weeks of each. Please, one thing to remember, is that I am just one person doing all this packing myself and it will take a little time to get everything out the door! If you ordered from me, you'll receive an email in the next few weeks detailing all of this. Thanks again!

Hi Jerad, I'm looking forward to your email, then :)

pdj
10-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Jerad --

How does the Amazon thing work? Do you have to send them their batch, or is it sent to them directly from the warehouse? Any guesstimates on when they might start shipping?

Tnx!

Centipede
10-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Thank you for the question on Amazon. The way that works is that my distributor deals with them directly, so I don't have to hassle with getting them books and the like. You should not have any difficulties getting your book from them. Thanks again for the message.

herbertwest
10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Ordered it!
Through amazon :s

Jerad, thanks a lot for mentioning Amazon's price on your book.
I hope you still get quite some money out of it, coz it's a big discount they offer...

Hope there wont be any troubles with their shipping...

mikeC
11-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Any updates or cool stuff Jared?

Fsmdr
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Received this today:

Friday, 6 November, 2009

Artists Inspired by Stephen King update

Hello everyone,

The books are on the way from Hong Kong. My shipment of
books included a couple hundred of the trade slipcased
edition and then all the copies of the signed edition.

The books are due to arrive at my warehouse in Colorado on
November 25. It will take me about 2-3 weeks to get all of
the advance orders shipped out. You should easily have your
books in time for Christmas. This includes both the signed
and trade editions.

Regarding the Michael Whelan remarqued edition, this will
be shipping roughly a week or two after I have all of the
other copies shipped. These books require some hand work
with the remarques.

The deluxe editions of the book should also arrive in time
for Christmas. Book blocks will head out to the bindery in
Minnesota for leather work when my other shipments arrive.

I also have a lot of Stephen King extras. Besides the
signed prints that you early buyers receive, I will also be
sending page proofs, posters, and other goodies with each
book.

You all have shown me tremendous trust and support with
this project, which has been easily the most difficult and
stressful I have ever tackled. Just be patient a little
longer. It won't be long now!

Best Regards,

Jerad

willie3
11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Once again, proof that Jerad is a class act
and running a first class operation.

Karl

SkippyD023
11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
I just received an e-mail from Amazon saying that my copy has shipped. Next week will be a good week, just like Christmas. Both Knowing Darkness and Under the Dome - King Overload!!:rock::panic:

herbertwest
11-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Amazon is estimating my deliver for the 3rd of december (overseas)

frik
11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Amazon is estimating my deliver for the 3rd of december (overseas)

December 8th! :clap:

Now I wonder if the book will be shipped from Germany.
Many of my Amazon orders come from there.

sk

biomieg
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I ordered my copy directly from Jerad, I'll be waiting patiently for it until it finds my home :)

Patrick
11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Once again, proof that Jerad is a class act
and running a first class operation.

Karl
I agree wholeheartedly.

herbertwest
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
amazon (.com) have some troubles with my card... seems that cant get in touch with my bank or something

I've ordered quite a few times from amazon.com without any problems.
if i do order thru amazon.fr the price will be a LOT more higher (like 70€).
it's doing my head in....

jhanic
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I had the same problem with my order for Under the Dome. I had used that card numerous times before with no problems, but suddenly they couldn't make it work. I just changed to a different card. If you still have problems, maybe call Amazon and see what the problem is.

John

herbertwest
11-11-2009, 05:06 AM
I dont have another card... amazon is really a pain sometimes : why dont they accept paypal?

jhanic
11-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Paypal is owned by one of Amazon's competitors, eBay. Why give your competitor more business? Just to please your customers?

John

Rahfa
11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Plus, Paypal is sort of a cash-transfer service...it's not the same as dealing with Visa/MC, etc...

CRinVA
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
actually a is either a cash trasnfer oir credit card payment system. You have a choice.

herbertwest
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Paypal is owned by one of Amazon's competitors, eBay. Why give your competitor more business? Just to please your customers?

John

yeah, definitely!
it's really doing my head-in...

pdj
11-13-2009, 06:57 AM
My Amazon copy arrived yesterday -- holy moly -- that is one Big BEAUTIFUL Book!

mikeC
11-13-2009, 07:58 AM
My Amazon copy arrived yesterday -- holy moly -- that is one Big BEAUTIFUL Book!

really? pics?

pdj
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
really? pics?
Jerad posted some great ones back on page 15 of this very thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3927&page=15).... but they just don't do justice to actually seeing it in person (and lifting it!!!).

herbertwest
11-14-2009, 05:20 AM
i called my bank, and it should be sorted now : need to reorder it though

herbertwest
11-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Currently shipping :-)

Lilja
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Check out some new photos of the book on my site (http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=1850).

Lilja

lophophoras
11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
It's a beautiful book!

wahlers
11-24-2009, 07:53 PM
How recent does the book go? What's the most recent King novel (or collection) that has artwork in the book?

Ari_Racing
11-25-2009, 06:21 AM
I think Duma Key it's the last work covered.

wahlers
11-25-2009, 07:59 AM
It just includes the art from the hardback versions of Duma Key, I assume?

The paperbacks wouldn't have come out until closer to Just After Sunset, right?

I really cannot wait to get my copy in the mail... :panic:

Ari_Racing
11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Nope. It includes a new illustration made by Don Maitz based on it.

It doesn't include the artwork from Mark Stutzman, who did the cover artwork of Duma Key, Everything eventual and Cell among others.

wahlers
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
He also did the cover to From a Buick 8.

So it doesn't have any of his artwork then?

Ari_Racing
11-25-2009, 01:03 PM
And also Lisey's Story.

Nope, there's no artwork from Mark Stutzman present in the book.

jhanic
11-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Just received:

Artists Inspired by Stephen King
UPDATE

Friday, 27 November, 2009

Hey everyone,

Artists Inspired by Stephen King -- both the trade and
signed editions -- have been delivered to my warehouse
today.

If you received this email twice, it went first to the
general list, and then again to the list of people who
specifically prepaid for their books!

I will be shipping out these books beginning on Monday. It
will take me approximately 3 weeks to have all the orders
shipped out. If you made a special request for a numbered
signed edition, it will take a little longer on that, as it
takes time to find that particular number, since the books
are "hard" numbered.

If you have the signed edition with the Michael Whelan
remarque, this will take a little longer to do, as Michael
is still doing remarques, and once they get here they need
to be tipped into the book.

Regarding the deluxe edition, this book needs to go to the
bindery in Minneapolis for leather work. As soon as I find
these book blocks, which are God knows where in my storage
unit, I will send them up north for the leather work. With
the Christmas rush, I do not expect the leather deluxe
edition to ship until early to mid January.

So again,
signed and trade editions:
starting to ship next week

Michael Whelan remarqued edition
will ship in 2-3 weeks

leather deluxe edition
shipping in January.

Thank you all for your support. Your trust in the Press has
meant a great deal. You won't regret this book, I can
promise you that! All books will be packed extremely well,
with loads of double wrap and double boxed whenever I can
manage that.

If you have any concerns or questions about your books,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm Regards,

Jerad

John

biomieg
11-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Got it too! I'm really looking forward to this one!

willie3
11-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Great news that Jerad has begun shipping.:thumbsup:

Still hoping to receive the remarqued edition before Christmas :excited:

Karl

Randall Flagg
11-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Not going to happen. The remarques are dependent on Michael Whelan-Jerad has to have them all in hand before he can continue.
January would be my estimate.

wizardsrainbow
11-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Not going to happen. The remarques are dependent on Michael Whelan-Jerad has to have them all in hand before he can continue.

Last time I saw Michael....10 days ago?...he was well into doing the remarques, but not finished yet. He showed me a few and they were good. He did a special one of Barlow for a friend that was amazing.

Ari_Racing
11-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Agree! The Barlow one was incredible!!

All were..but that one was the one I like the most :)

frik
11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
My copy -ordered via Amazon- still hasn't arrived yet.
It was shipped November 8th....
Usually my Amazon books arrive rather quickly...Not this time, though. :angry:

sk

Rahfa
11-30-2009, 05:20 PM

sk

Didn't they give you a tracking number? Three weeks? That's a problem...

Fsmdr
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
This book is incredibly massive!. As I told another collector, drill some legs on that thing and you have yourself a nice side table. LOL!.

Kidding aside, it's truly very impressive in hand. Love the feel of covers and slipcase. Not really sure what it is, just very cool to the touch. Nice work, Jerad!.

Cloysterpete
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM

sk

Naa, my stuff from Amazon.com always takes that long. I just ordered LSOE Gift Edition from Amazon today and it's expected to be sent tomorrow with estimated delivery between December 30, 2009 - January 22. Now if I have paid for faster delivery, then I might be getting concerned....

herbertwest
12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
This book is incredibly massive!. As I told another collector, drill some legs on that thing and you have yourself a nice side table. LOL!.

Kidding aside, it's truly very impressive in hand. Love the feel of covers and slipcase. Not really sure what it is, just very cool to the touch. Nice work, Jerad!.

Recieved mine today: it's FREAKING massive!
I dont have time just now, so i'll open it up at the week end :cyclops:
but i am so impatient man!

frik
12-01-2009, 12:06 PM

sk

No tracking number.
I'm not worried - yet.....:(

Rahfa
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Recieved mine today: it's FREAKING massive!
I dont have time just now, so i'll open it up at the week end :cyclops:
but i am so impatient man!

Signed edition or "normal" trade edition (both seem incredible)...

herbertwest
12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
the normal "cheap" one

herbertwest
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
what is the weight of this book? Could someone please tell me?

Fsmdr
12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
what is the weight of this book? Could someone please tell me?

The unsigned edition is 13 pounds in weight.

herbertwest
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
wow, doesnt surprise me !

willie3
12-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Come on now RF!

It's my Christmas wish!:D

Karl

Brice
12-05-2009, 05:11 AM
:orely:

Well....maybe Santa will hand deliver it to you. :lol:

wahlers
12-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Got my copy in the mail from Jerad today. For the record, it's the unsigned, unremarqued trade edition.

It makes me very happy. I am about 99.9% happy with it. There were a couple of things I would have liked to have had in it and a couple of the smaller reproductions I would have liked to have had larger. Also missed the other Don Brautigam King covers, but that's just nitpicky stuff and does not detract from the book being fantastic! Great quality and good stuff. Now, I need to start reading it.

Do we want to start making note of what King-related extras we got packed in our boxes, or is that bad etiquette?

P.S. There are no Scribner covers reproduced at all except a small one of Just After Sunset (which is really a cover design, rather than cover artwork). Does Scribner function differently, and maybe own the artwork rather than the artist or something that made it a legal problem? Not a complaint, just a curiosity.

Randall Flagg
12-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Do we want to start making note of what King-related extras we got packed in our boxes, or is that bad etiquette?

I'd like to hear what goodies people received.

Brice
12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I would too.

Somewhat related: About a month or so ago I bought a couple books of jerad's; not centipede books...just some books of his own he was selling and he sent me a couple sewn unbound centipede books too (I guess these are called F&Gs if I understand correctly?) Anyhow I hadn't seen any of centipede books first hand before so I thought that was pretty neat and very cool of him. When I'm done paying for my knowing darkness I'll definitely be getting more. :D

Room 217 Caretaker
12-06-2009, 06:52 AM

I'd like to hear what goodies people received.

Agreed.

It's not bad etiquette. We love to share on this board.

Warning: You may receive threats from members with a jealous rage but don't take it personal :wtf: We are all family here and family does that to one another :couple:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ari_Racing
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Regarding Scribner, I know that Mark Stutzman artwork isn't present and it has nothing to do with the publisher. He did the artwork for Cell, Everything's eventual, Duma Key, Lisey's Story and From a Buick 8

wahlers
12-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, as far as King-related items, I got three copies of what look to be printer's proofs (on nice toothy paper) that are on paper about twice as big as the book pages. I got one of the Shining HC art, one of the newly commissioned "Hedge Lion" art, and one of the Alex McVey Randall Flagg portrait. I also got a nice glossy stock printer's proof of the numbering page (that says this is "no 2") with the CG Mist artwork at the bottom. I also got a cardstock ad for the book which uses the "I am the Doorway" hand (from the Night Shift paperback) as the image.

Pretty cool stuff.

Thank you for including such wonderful bonus treasures Jerad!

Has anybody else gotten theirs yet? I really want to hear what other people got. Of course, I might get jealous, but I'm curious! :)

AIMB
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I am guessing the slipcase with the blue pic from the old paperback of "the stand" doesn't come with the "basic" cheapest edition?? if so, i hate that. so much nostalgia when i see that pic. my first king book. :)

wahlers
12-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I just got the basic trade edition (no number, no signature, no anything but the book) and the slipcase has the Stand paperback cover on one side and the Desperation painting on the other.

gsvec
12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
This guy must've gotten a deal on Amazon or something - NINE?? (http://cgi.ebay.com/KNOWING-DARKNESS-ARTISTS-INSPIRED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-HC_W0QQitemZ360206165032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item53ddf5e428) :pullhair:

Patrick
12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Gretchen, I tried to fix your non-working link, but it just went to a picture of that cute little bumping jar that now shows in your post. Was there supposed to be something more?

gsvec
12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Patrick - it's fixed now. Interesting - I came back and fixed it a bit ago - maybe we were trying to do it at the same time? :lol:

Patrick
12-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Good job with the link fix, Gretchen, but I miss the little guy in the jar. :lol:

Might that eBay seller be a known bookseller using a new eBay ID? Looks like they took all their photos from Jared's site.

gsvec
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
The link for the first pic in the body of the listing goes directly to centipedepress.com, the second to johnpicacio.com. Interesting. Isn't that an eBay violation of some kind?

frik
12-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I finally got my Amazon copy.
The book is amazing - the packaging wasn't. :orely:
One corner of the slipcase bas slightly damaged - the book itself is mint!

sk

Rahfa
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
This guy must've gotten a deal on Amazon or something - NINE?? (http://cgi.ebay.com/KNOWING-DARKNESS-ARTISTS-INSPIRED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-HC_W0QQitemZ360206165032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item53ddf5e428) :pullhair:

Yeah, they were selling on Amazon and Buy.com for as low as $165 I think...he might be a dealer as well.

Between ebay and paypal costs, he's not making a big profit...he's trying to make a few bucks off his $30 shipping.

Either way - yes, you could buy them at a significant discount.

AIMB
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I just got the basic trade edition (no number, no signature, no anything but the book) and the slipcase has the Stand paperback cover on one side and the Desperation painting on the other.

okay thanks! super cool. was going to buy it anyways but this is good news. :)

mikeC
12-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Has anyone recieved the traycased/artist edition?
If not i can take pics tonight when i pick it up and post them if anyone wants a looksee.

Randall Flagg
12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
I would appreciate seeing pics.

Patrick
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I would appreciate seeing pics.
Me too!

mikeC
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm not the best photographer or have great lighting but here's some pics for you. Truly outstanding stuff, just having it near me was quite surreal, it is awesome!
The box was almost as big as my table.
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_01Box.jpg
Case feels almost like felt/velet
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_03Open01.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_04Openside.jpg
hope this doesnt make anyone cringe seeing a CD book but it's just to give you a size perspective
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_05SOD01.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_06SOD02.jpg
what book is this story from?
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_07Bind.jpg
superblurry sorry
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_08Open02.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_08Back.jpg
book of bound prints and the super cool endpapers
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_10Art01.jpg
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/cahills7g/SKART/skart_11artEP.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you for sharing. Absolutely beautiful

I wonder if I have to register it in the State of Virginia as a weapon

After seeing how tall it is I think it's time to add additional shelving to my closet :)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

shnnrc01
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
wow!! i never thought it was that big. it looks amazing!!

jhanic
12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Wonderful! I can't wait until my copies show up!

John

idlewarnings
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Wow. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Ari_Racing
12-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I really can't wait to receive it! Amazing pics!
Congratulations!!!

herbertwest
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
this is the sl edition right?
Looks awesome!