PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Decapitation on Greyhound Bus

e_taylor
08-03-2008, 07:00 AM
I didn't see this discussed anywhere else on the forum. It really makes you think - how could someone that unstable hide in society so long? I guess more will be revealed as the investigation continues.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080731/Manitoba_bus_080731/20080731?hub=TopStories

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/07/31/canada.bus/index.html

http://edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2008/08/02/pf-6338681.html

The last report came yesterday - a savage murder/beheading.... AND cannibalism? I *WAS* planning on taking a Greyhound to Winnipeg for the World Horror Convention next year.... but now I might take the train!

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Thank God you weren't on the bus!!!!!!

Aesculapius
08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
As disturbing as this story played out, the entire act doesn't seem random, to me. I mean, it seems very calculated with specific intent.

EDIT:
This one seems random:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,396703,00.html

Jon
08-03-2008, 09:10 PM
It really makes you think - how could someone that unstable hide in society so long?

All Hail and I have done very well!

But...DAMN!!!

This decapitation had to take him some time. What the hell were the other passengers doing??!! I know the driver hustled them all away but hell... how can you let that go on. Think about how long it would take to decapitate someone with such an instrument. A rush on the man was in order. He cannot stab them all at once.

Brice
08-04-2008, 04:24 AM
It really makes you think - how could someone that unstable hide in society so long?

All Hail and I have done very well!

But...DAMN!!!

This decapitation had to take him some time. What the hell were the other passengers doing??!! I know the driver hustled them all away but hell... how can you let that go on. Think about how long it would take to decapitate someone with such an instrument. A rush on the man was in order. He cannot stab them all at once.

Generally that's not most people's natural reaction to someone with a knife. In those situations most people flee.

Most people are sheep.

NO...JON!!!!! :rofl:

Edit: It is strange to me that they describe the actions of everybody swiftly and calmly vacating the bus as bravery...to me at least. To me that's just normal self preservation, hardly brave.

Jean
08-04-2008, 04:49 AM
it's hardly imaginable in Russia... we have all kinds of senseless cruely here, as it is always the case in poor, criminalized societies, and murders are a dime a dozen, but whenever something happens (fight, explosion, just a loud bang, something fallilng), it's people's primary reaction to run toward the event (never in the other direction!), and take part. Our sense of self-preservation is hardly existent, true, but nobody could do anything to anybody in Russia without all witnesses getting actively involved immediately.

jayson
08-04-2008, 05:17 AM

This was my initial reaction to the story as well Jon. With the weapon of choice, the decapitation had to be a lengthy process. I couldn't believe that in that amount of time nobody chose to do anything. Rushing the guy would have been a good choice as you pointed out he couldn't turn a knife on all of them at the same time.

e_taylor
08-04-2008, 05:45 AM
I don't think the people on the buses protecting themselves and their kids are necessarily to blame. I mean, it was during the night, everybody was sleeping, and in all honesty, the man was likely dead before anyone could have done anything.

In regards to the intent - hes only been charged with second degree murder, which is odd for that very reason. My guess - he'll never see trial, he'll be shipped right off to an asylum for the rest of his life.

Jon
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't think the people on the buses protecting themselves and their kids are necessarily to blame.

No, there is only one person to blame.

Brice
08-04-2008, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=e_taylor;222491]I don't think the people on the buses protecting themselves and their kids are necessarily to blame. I mean, it was during the night, everybody was sleeping, and in all honesty, the man was likely dead before anyone could have done anything.

QUOTE]

I agree. I wasn't saying their reaction wasn't wise...only that it wasn't brave (by definition). To flee, no matter the circumstance is hardly bravery.

Odetta
08-05-2008, 02:16 AM
OK, from the information I have seen, the guy was dead before he was decapitated. He had been stabbed repeatedly and was gone before the beheading. This is perhaps why no one stopped him... they were out of the bus by this time.

Wuducynn
08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Okay, I admit it, the guy was snoring and that REALLY pisses me off. Maybe I over-reacted a little. Next time I'll just wake the person and ask them politely if they could roll over.

Hannah
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
That's crazy. I can't believe he's only charged with second degree murder.

Míchéal
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok that's pretty sick...

Míchéal
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Feckin' lunatics.

John Blaze
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Generally that's not most people's natural reaction to someone with a knife. In those situations most people flee.

Most people are sheep.

Edit: It is strange to me that they describe the actions of everybody swiftly and calmly vacating the bus as bravery...to me at least. To me that's just normal self preservation, hardly brave.

Fucken sheeple. They could have done something. He has a knife? get out your belt and whip his ass.

And no, self preservation is not bravery.

Brice
08-06-2008, 03:55 AM
And I have no problem really with people feeling the need to escape. It's a normal natural reaction, but far from heroic or brave.

e_taylor
08-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Hannah -

In Canada a life sentence is 25 years (usually 2/3rds of 25 years), however with a conviction however the prosecution can have the defendant branded a "Dangerous Ofeender" in which case they are locked up in a high security psych ward for a minimum of 25 years, but with the potential for an indefinite amount of time. He would never be convicted of first degree murder, he'd plead insanity and the prosecution would bargain down to 2nd degree so that they could have him declared a dangerous offender. By charging him initially with 2nd degree murder it will just speed up the court process (which can be terribly slow here).

Others -

Theres been an interesting conversation to this regard going on in the Slade forums (Jay Clarke, the pen name for Slade is a retired lawyer who specialized in both defense and prosecution of the criminally insane in BC). In regards to the "cowardice" of the other passengers he pointed out that if you think about any horror novel - the blood and gore are one thing, but its scenes with confined spaces that get under people's skins the most.

I just can't agree with the claims of cowardice for the other passengers. Are they expected to keep their kids in danger so that they can take down an insane man whos already killed a man. And what if a mob take him down and kills him - then they are all charged with murder? What if they open the door to rush the guy and he slips past and is loose? I think keeping him trapped in the bus and disabling it until the RCMP arrived was the only logical solution. Was it "brave", no - but it also wasn't an error caused by inflated ego - cooler heads prevailed say thank ya.

Brice
08-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Personally, I didn't and wouldn't call it cowardice. They reacted normally. My only question was of the cop using the word bravery which it certainly wasn't.

Odetta
08-06-2008, 06:47 AM
AND... the guy was already dead by the time anyone realized what was going on. They couldn't have done anything by that point.