PDA

View Full Version : Have you cried during the quest? ***END OF SERIES Spoilers***

Pages : [1] 2 3

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
It's a good question because I am sure I have but I don't really remember where. I can cry very easily (way too easily) so I must have cried.. I think I cried when Susan died. Not because of the fact she died but because of the things she cried out when she was dying.

Chassit
05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I came close to crying several times throughout the last book (I almost never cry):

When any member of the Ka-Tet died, in any world.

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
very much depends on when people cry (over a story, I mean). I never ever cry over anybody's death, or because of anything that is sad or tragic, but I do come very close to tears, and sometimes actually do cry when something touches me very deeply. All DT books except The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass (the Mejis part) abound in such moments.

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
The same here, Jean. Or not exactly because I can cry on anything... sometimes a very simple sentence can make me cry. Sometimes a 'what's up' can make me cry if it's popped up at the right good situation.

Daghain
05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I have to agree with Jean on that one. There's some seriously emotional stuff in there. And I totally cried at the end. :cry:

She-Oy
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Lawd yes....I bawled all through the ending of the VII....in fact I remember exactly where I was sitting and what I was drinking when I read what I read...I was on my front porch, drinking rum and diet coke....I'm sure my neighbors thought I was nuts. I mean I cried so hard, little whimpers came out. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that my emotions were over-saturated by rum, nu-uh!

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I cried only during the last book when Eddie died, Suze met up with Eddie and Jake in alternate NY, and when the book was finished.

She-Oy
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Jake and Oy's death did it for me...Eddie not so much

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:20 AM
The same here, Jean. Or not exactly because I can cry on anything... sometimes a very simple sentence can make me cry. Sometimes a 'what's up' can make me cry if it's popped up at the right good situation.

absolutely

or when the dying girl is calling bird and bear and hare and fish
ok, I lied when I said I didn't cry at that moment.

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM

absolutely

or when (DTIV)
the dying girl is calling bird and bear and hare and fish
ok, I lied when I said I didn't cry at that moment.

Check my first post in this thread Jean (and there the spoiler part). You won't believe your eyes. I edited it one minute ago.

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Nikolett!!!

:rose::rose::rose:

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
The more different we are Jean the more similar the way we feel.. somehow.

Anyway I must add that I think the more I loved the characters (as I was travelling all around with them) the more often I could cry because the things that happened to them and the things they said.

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
<...>Suze met up with Eddie and Jake in alternate NY<...>
this is one of those places for me, too. Very few people liked that part, by the way; we might be only two, judging by what has already been posted both here and (especially) at .net

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
If it is, then we are in the right!

Wuducynn
05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
When Susan died. Not because of the fact she died but because of the things she cried out when she was dying.

Yes.

tamez
05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
i'm sure I have cried some during each one of the books
on different occasions
but nothing, nothing will ever come close to when
i was reading the last book.
i was a mess through the **whole** damn thing
Joey was like... "why are you doing this to yourself? what is
the matter with you?"
he didn't understand that i had to,,,, just had to get
to the end of that book.
i would lay in bed in the dark listening to it
just crying and crying....
wtf! lol
<< freak

Wuducynn
05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I cry all the time because Tamez never really loved me..

tamez
05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
pfft how do you know that? :rock:

Rjeso
05-25-2007, 10:59 AM
When Roland was on his knees in the dirt, head hanging low after Susannah left him. Also for Jake's and Oy's and Eddie's deaths, and Roland's pain over the loss of them. Basically whenever Roland was hurting, I was too.

Wuducynn
05-25-2007, 11:05 AM
i'm sure I have cried some during each one of the books
on different occasions
but nothing, nothing will ever come close to when
i was reading the last book.
i was a mess through the **whole** damn thing
Joey was like... "why are you doing this to yourself? what is
the matter with you?"
he didn't understand that i had to,,,, just had to get
to the end of that book.
i would lay in bed in the dark listening to it
just crying and crying....
wtf! lol
<< freak

Same here, the last book almost made me break my tear ducts!

Letti
05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Guys could you mark before the spoilers which book?
If you don't mind. Thank you.

Wuducynn
05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Okay, but only if you post more pictures of you and your necklace??

Letti
05-25-2007, 11:11 AM

:lol: :huglove:

Wuducynn
05-25-2007, 12:14 PM

:lol: :huglove:

:huglove: :pirate:

Rjeso
05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
That's very ninja of you, CK.

Erin
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
I shed a few tears in DTIV and DTVII when:

Susan and Jake died

I cried and sobbed painfully hard in DTVII when:

Eddie died. It was so horrible that it was not a quick death and that he suffered greatly before he passed on. I also cried hard at Oy's death and of course when the book ended and I realized Roland had been on his quest over and over again and he would have to experience all the pain all over again. My heart ached for him.

Matt
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I cried at the end same as most other folks here. Most especially for Jake.

^notice no spoiler--:D

sullivan19
05-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I felt for Roland in W&G, but i did cry when Eddie and Jake died, especially Eddie for some reason. I had to put the book down and get myself together. The artwork of Roland in amongst the trees holding Jake cut me up also. Blimey, i'm getting choked up now!

MonteGss
05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Jake and Oy's deaths were tear-jerkers for me.
:cry:

Letti
05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Guys I wish I could have seen you crying... I mean... don't think that I am a pervert or I love when people are crying in fact I can't stand if someone is crying and I always try to do something..
but men cry so rarely.. and I have never seen a man crying as reading a book you know.

OchrisO
05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Guys I wish I could have seen you crying... I mean... don't think that I am a pervert or I love when people are crying in fact I can't stand if someone is crying and I always try to do something..
but men cry so rarely.. and I have never seen a man crying as reading a book you know.

I'm a man, and I cry all the damned time. haha. If you were to spend a couple days around me I'm sure you'd see it. Books make me cry quite often.

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:22 PM

which means you've never seen a man read The Dark Tower.

Fishonabike
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I cried and sobbed painfully hard in DTVII when:
Eddie died. It was so horrible that it was not a quick death and that he suffered greatly before he passed on.
I cried at this part too. My wife asked what was wrong...
I told her my friend just died.

Jean
05-25-2007, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Erin;10197]I cried at this part too. My wife asked what was wrong...
I told her my friend just died.
so true

Darkthoughts
05-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Any time Jake suffered I got pretty emotional, and with The Dark Tower, as others have said, the fact that it was the end of the journey made it very powerful.

WaG too, but also for me WotC spoilers:
the final showdown with the wolves where Ben Slightman gets killed

Telynn
05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I pretty much cried through the whole 7th book.

I don't think I will ever read it again. I might re-read the series, but I will stop at either 5 or I might skim through parts of 6. But I really doubt I will ever pick up 7 again.

Chassit
05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah, that was rough

Old Man Splitfoot
05-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I cried like a little girl with a skinned knee while reading the last book. The first time I read it, I was in a public place when one of the saddest parts occured, and I had a hell of a time hiding my face behind the book; I'm not the type to freely allow others to see my crying. The second time I read it, I was alone, and cried even harder.

Ruki
05-26-2007, 03:41 PM
i cried quite a bit while first reading the series, the majority of the real bawling was during book seven but several little things brought tears to my eyes. i cry harder as i read it more, more of those little things pop out and cut me open and i grow closer to the characters each time. knowing what's coming doesn't make it any easier.

The_Nameless
05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes, in some ways.

I never full out bawled, but there were moments throughout the series that brought tears to my eyes, and even parts where I had to set the book down for a moment to compose myself, although I couldn't tell you when these parts were.

Well, actually, I do know when a couple of the parts were, but not all of them.

DTIV-DTVII
Eddie's death. Jake's death. (But strangely not Oy, although it was a sad moment. I think I was just emotionally wore out when I reached that part. I also knew it was going to happen.) For Roland after Susan's death. For Jake after Bennie's death.

There are more, I am sure of it. But I cannot recall every moment.

I forgot one until I read Rjeso's post.

DTVII
When Susannah left Roland for NYC, and he sat there on his knees in the sand, his head hung low.
And when Roland was burying Jake. I had tears of joy when Roland reached the Tower. It was hard not to; after that long of a journey and everything they went to, to finally reach the goal was something that seemed would never happen. Of course, that changed when I reached the end.

Chassit
05-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah the end was pretty, oh i don't know how to say it lol

sarah
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
of course I cried. I have a soul. :lol:

mostly I cried when jake and eddie died. also i knew that oy had to go and my eyes welled a bit when his time came.

Cuthbert Allbad
05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Didn't cry (i am a real man after all), but there were times it felt like i was punched in the stomach and i had to re-read stuff because i couldn't believe what i was reading regarding some of the characters.

fernandito
05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Didn't cry (i am a real man after all), but there were times it felt like i was punched in the stomach and i had to re-read stuff because i couldn't believe what i was reading regarding some of the characters.

Same here, especially the part where Roland has to bury Jake...does it get any more gut wrenching than that?

Chassit
05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah that was rough although I thought:

Where Oy, impaled on a tree limb licks Roland's hand and voices "Oland" before moving onto the clearing
was a real tough part too.

Letti
05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Guys I wouldn't like to be picky or something but please mark before the spoilers which book it is from. Just to make it free to read them for everyone.
Thanks a lot.

Wuducynn
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM

I cried because I'm a fake man.

Matt
05-31-2007, 02:52 PM
:rofl:

I thought the same thing. I cried and I'm sure I have a penis.

Fly
05-31-2007, 02:58 PM
I almost cried when (DT VII) Oy died, but I was so shocked and angry with Roland that I didn't. I expect I will if I can bring myself to read that bit again. :angry:

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
. . .
I cried and I'm sure I have a penis.

Okay, Zarf.

Letti
05-31-2007, 09:17 PM
If you ask me men need to cry too, sometimes.

Cuthbert Allbad
06-01-2007, 06:43 AM

Okay, okay, i'll admit it....i cried!!!

Not too many books can do that to me.
The only other ones i can think of is Where The Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.

Matt
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Where The Red Fern Grows

"Papa got snake bit!! Real bad!!"

oh crap, thats The Yearling I think. :lol:

fernandito
06-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Boys, don't cryyyyy
da-da-da-da-da

Letti
06-02-2007, 08:43 AM

Okay, okay, i'll admit it....i cried!!!

Not too many books can do that to me.
The only other ones i can think of is Where The Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.

That's it. :huglove:

Matt
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM

I totally agree Letti. Sometimes a good cry can be the best thing for a person.

Daghain
06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I really hate that "real men don't cry" crap. There is nothing wrong with crying. :cry:

And damn, that crying icon is cute. :)

Frunobulax
06-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Where The Red Fern Grows

"Papa got snake bit!! Real bad!!"

oh crap, thats The Yearling I think. :lol:

"Look out for snakes!!"

No, that's EEGAH! starring Arch Hall, Jr.

Matt
06-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I really hate that "real men don't cry" crap. There is nothing wrong with crying. :cry:

And damn, that crying icon is cute. :)

I'm the same, its a hair line between that and being a baby which is a total turn off for women.

But the intimacy created with hard times and a good cry on someones shoulder that you trust...its beautiful.

Wuducynn
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
On Friday we got to the point while listening to DT7 that Jake died...yeah definitely some tears, especially Oy's reaction really gets me.

nyy3723a
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
When Eddie died, I closed the book and couldn't read for the rest of the night.

When Jake went, I got a huge lump in my throat but pushed on through.

When Oy was gone, tears were streaming down my cheeks.

I'll admit it.

Cuthbert Allbad
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
I also cried when i first saw ET when it first opened.

Spencer
06-06-2007, 05:05 AM
At the passage describing the celebration at the end of The battle at Algul Siento, and at Roland's prayer in the woods.

Cuthbert Allbad
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM

I'll admit it.

Each demise was emotionally worse then the last for me.

Chassit
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Me too...

XIX

Dandelo
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM

I'll admit it.

Wow!

This was almost exactly the same for me. Eddie's death really bothered me. Like really bothered me. Can't explain why Jake's passing didn't bring out the tears. Maybe because I was drained from Eddie...and Jake's seemed more of a heroic sacrifice.

I also remember being very ticked off following Mordred's final 'roughing up' of Oy and wishing Roland killed The Little Red King nice and slow to exact some revenge on the freak.

Daghain
06-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Jake's bothered me waaay more than Eddie's, for some reason. Maybe it was because Roland had lost his adopted son, AGAIN. It hurt. Bad.

I guess I always had a soft spot for Jake. :)

MonteGss
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Jake and Oy's deaths were the rough for me. Eddie's was bad but tears came out for Jake and Oy.

Damn, I hope I'm not driving to work when I get to those parts in my audio re-read.

Wuducynn
06-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Jake and Oy's deaths were the rough for me. Eddie's was bad but tears came out for Jake and Oy.

Damn, I hope I'm not driving to work when I get to those parts in my audio re-read.

Reporter - "What was the cause of the accident?" Police officer - "It appears the operator of the vehicle that caused the accident was listening to an especially sad part of an audio book and lost most of his vision because of the tears and veered off the road crossing three lanes, drove through a Wendy's into the adjacent parking lot and through an automated car wash and into the Johnson's living room as you can see here."

Reporter - "Was anyone hurt??" Police officer - "Amazingly no"

Reporter - "What a dumb-ass" Police officer - "Yeah"

MonteGss
06-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Reporter - "What was the cause of the accident?" Police officer - "It appears the operator of the vehicle that caused the accident was listening to an especially sad part of an audio book and lost most of his vision because of the tears and veered off the road crossing three lanes, drove through a Wendy's into the adjacent parking lot and through an automated car wash and into the Johnson's living room as you can see here."

Reporter - "Was anyone hurt??" Police officer - "Amazingly no"

Reporter - "What a dumb-ass" Police officer - "Yeah"

:rofl:

VolsToTheWall
06-20-2007, 06:21 PM
That could earn you a 30 second spot on a cable news show Monte. :lol:

Patrick
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I used to read CHARLOTTE'S WEB every summer when I was a kid. I would cry at the end every time.

While the deaths in the Dark Tower series certainly made me sad, I haven't cried over any book since those summers long ago.

Chassit
06-22-2007, 06:29 AM
So as many of you know, I am re reading the series now. The end of DOTT made me cry, now that I have read the series through. I forgot all about the last lines in that book *shudders even now*.

XIX

Ruki
06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
i've been trying so hard not to cry while listening to the series at work. the smallest things make me mist up, things that aren't even sad, then someone sees me and i have to explain that yes i'm okay i don't need a break and i don't need to go home. the other night i made it through eddie's death without attracting attention but then when jake went i couldn't keep myself from bawling. when oy was following jake's scent through the dixie pig i cried. then when roland and oy found susannah in fedic and oy howled i started up again. so many people wanted to know what was wrong and every time i was asked i had to laugh and i couldn't explain it (earphones aren't allowed at work but they look so much like the earplugs we wear that no one notices). i'm sure all my coworkers think i'm a fucking lunatic, if i'm not standing there grinning like a retard or laughing at nothing, i'm crying.

sarah
06-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Ruki, i love that you are so wrapped up in the story again and still. I haven't reread books 5-7 for a long time. I just started book five but had to put it down for finish The gunslinger. Anyway, what i'm saying is that I'm inspired by your post to push on thru and get books 5-7 reread.

sarajean
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
eddie's was the hardest for me. i never really got all that invested in jake...in fact i found him more than a little annoying. i can't explain why. eddie, though...i was on break at work and (even though some immature little fuckers had already spoiled it for me) and i had to close the book, sit back and compose myself. my friend josh had just come outside for a cigarette, he took one look at me and said "eddie?" "yeah." "i know. it did me like that, too."

then i cried at what i thought was the end as he was climbing the tower. then i cried again after reading the poem when it was all finally over for him. those were happy tears, though.

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
yes. Oy! just read that whole part again earlier today! my cat has gold eyes (well kinda) and I call her my billy-bumbler. makes me sad everytime.

Daghain
06-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Eddie's did it for me more than Jake's too. I think it was the whole death scene where he was telling Susannah he would wait for her. :cry:

kithereal
06-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I have had a hard time crying in recent years. I am very sad sometimes but the tears won't flow, unable to let go and there is no release ....
When Jake died the dam broke...and I cried good and hard. My sorrow had a vehicle. ( I felt relief ....it was good )
Oy 's reaction to his death was heartbreaking, when he left with Roland I knew was going to die too ,so I cried for Oy when Jake died. I knew he would make Jake proud, I knew he would die a hero's death...I knew he meant to save Roland.
I cried for Roland the most....in my heart of hearts I hoped that at the end of it all ....Roland would be with his boy and not alone.

There is also a line in Dark Tower after Suzannah leaves Roland....( I don't have the book for reference right now ...so I know this isn't exact ) But he thinks ...when you walk through a door you never look back...it is a difficult line to read after the build to that moment...it makes you realize how very final things can be...
KIt

KIt

She-Oy
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
This thread makes me sad just reading about everyone else being sad.

It's like the Debbie Downer of all threads...LOL.

Erin
07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Debbie Downer!

WA-WA-WAAAAAAA.....

:lol:

Valkyrie
07-18-2007, 07:44 AM
SPOILERS:

>
>
>
>

I cried several times during the series, but I think all of them in the last book. I think I first cried when Jake hugged Roland and called him Father. That one got me going in a big way. :cry:

I cried when Eddie died (especially when he talked to Roland right before he died), when Jake died and when Roland buried Jake. I cried when Susannah met up with Eddie and then all of a sudden Eddie said he was with his brother and Susanna expected Henry only to find Jake.

I cried when Oy died, especially when he looked at Roland right before he died.

I didn't cry when Susan died. In fact, I had a hard time feeling anything for her at any point in the story.

Matt
07-18-2007, 07:53 AM
we have a

spoiler tag on the fourm if you want to use it Valkyrie. :couple:

And I totally agree with you--I didn't get too worked up about Susan but I think it was because Roland had made a clear choice at that point.

About what what important to him and I was fully on the tower with him

Valkyrie
07-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks! I'll use that from now on. :)

I think my lack of feeling for Susan was also just that she was a boring character to me. There wasn't much of interest...just your typical, perfect, beautiful, sweet love story heroine. She is probably the flattest important (not to say that they all aren't important, but you know what I mean, I hope!)character in all the books for me.

Daghain
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
She wasn't very well developed, I think. Of course, she really is only in W&G, so that probably doesn't help. :)

Wuducynn
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I find it funny that so many women LOVE W & G but HATE Susan! They try and say it has to do with "lack of character development" "too perfect" etc. etc. yeah, yeah unh hunh :lol:

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Really, it's because she's a wuss. :lol:

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I consider her nothing but a pawn in the game which is actually kind of sad for her.

All I ever had for Susan was pity

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:02 AM
:rofl: Thats right - whenever I get burned at the stake I'm rubbing on the bbq sauce like it was tanning lotion!

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:04 AM
She kind of ticked me off. Such a big baby about everything. Thorin messes with her and she's totally traumatized. Wants Roland to "take care of her".

Okay, yeah, she's only sixteen, but come ON! Grow a spine already!

I could never see someone that weak with someone as strong as Roland. That relationship was doomed from the start. :)

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Seriously, he just rubbed up against her and got off.

That happens to me every time I go to Six Flags. :lol:

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM
OMG LOL too funny! :lol:

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:16 AM

I know what you mean though Daghain - Roland is not interested in "damsel in distress" type women at any other point in the story - all his conquests are quite strong and independant.

Maybe he had an Oedipus complex and Susan reminded him of his mum? :D

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm going to base it on youth and lust. :D

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:23 AM
First love can be a very strong thing. I have two teenage daughters.

"but daddy, I LOVE HIM!!!"

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
One is out of my hands and I am going to be a grandpa in December :D

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Woo!! Cool! Lets hope for the first half of December, there can never be enough Sagittarians in the world :D

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh yeah, I am hoping for early in the month but my dad thinks we need another Capricorn

I will kill you guys with pics when it happens. :lol:

Darkthoughts
07-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Make sure you do!!
Ruby is a Capricorn, she'd totally be down with your Dad :)

Wuducynn
07-18-2007, 10:30 AM
*Is bawling because of Daghain's opinion of Susan* My inner child is wounded!

Chassit
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
My thoughts on Susan are like this: She was Roland's first love (only true love) and he was given a choice; quest after the Tower or stay with her and raise a family. Roland chose the Tower for the first of many times and she was the first of many to die (or let fall as I like to think of it). Susan is a symbol of what is to come time and time again. IMO of course.

XIX

Wuducynn
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
My thoughts on Susan are like this: She was Roland's first love (only true love) and he was given a choice; quest after the Tower or stay with her and raise a family. Roland chose the Tower for the first of many times and she was the first of many to die (or let fall as I like to think of it). Susan is a symbol of what is to come time and time again. IMO of course.

XIX

That's very true Chassit.

Daghain
07-18-2007, 12:13 PM
CK,

I think your inner child needs a nap. :lol:

Wuducynn
07-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I think he needs a spanking....badly..

Chassit
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
LOL

Daghain
07-18-2007, 01:21 PM

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

:clap:

That's the closest I could find to spanken..

Valkyrie
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I find it funny that so many women LOVE W & G but HATE Susan! They try and say it has to do with "lack of character development" "too perfect" etc. etc. yeah, yeah unh hunh :lol:

I loved W&G but I didn't "hate" Susan. I was just rather neutral towards her. She didn't even have enough spunk to make me dislike her. She was just BLAH!!!!!!!!! The point was, although it should have made me cry to read about her death, I couldn't find much sorrow in it nor could I feel all that badly for Roland, although I knew that I should be feeling bad for Roland. Weird.

Jean
07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
dear friends,

there is a whole section dedicated to Wizard and Glass where most things touched upon in latest posts can be discussed, - except AllHail's inner child that should be discussed in either Dixie Pig or Blue Heaven (if it has to be).
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thank_you-1.gif

Valkyrie
07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Yesterday I went to the public library and looked at the hardcover illustrated version of DT7. I initially read the paperback. The illustration of Roland carrying Jake in the woods with Oy trailing behind was so beautiful it got me crying all over again just looking at it. I think that may very well have been the saddest scene in the entire book for me.

Matt
07-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I agree, it was really hard for me to let Jake go. And he was such a hero, sacrificing himself that way. :(

Wuducynn
07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
**Is proud to be the only one on the planet who actually cried over Mordred's death and Los being erased except for his eyes.** and folk say I don't have a heart!

Daghain
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
The end was the worst for me. Knowing Roland would have to make his quest all over again. Sad.

Chassit
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
I have to reiterate how sad the end of DoTT was. It wouldn't be so bad the first time reading through, but after knowing the end...Oh man...

XIX

Daghain
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah, it's worse when you know it's coming...:cry:

Valkyrie
07-19-2007, 09:10 AM
The end was the worst for me. Knowing Roland would have to make his quest all over again. Sad.

I got literally sick to my stomach when I read the end. I don't think I can read it again now that I know the ending. I'm just glad Roland's memory faded fast...

Matt
07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I think the hard part of that was seeing Roland so helpless :(

It was rough to see him that way when he had been so in control for so many years.

Chassit
07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh yeah, it's worse when you know it's coming...:cry:

I know, omg...

Brice
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
**Is proud to be the only one on the planet who actually cried over Mordred's death and Los being erased except for his eyes.** and folk say I don't have a heart!

:lol: And I'm sure you cried when you realized the tower wouldn't be destroyed too, eh?

Chassit
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
LOL

XIX

Wuducynn
07-19-2007, 08:47 PM

:lol: And I'm sure you cried when you realized the tower wouldn't be destroyed too, eh?

Yeah, actually I did, how did you guess??

Chassit
07-20-2007, 05:31 AM
LMAO

XIX

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 05:41 AM

I'm not dead dad....I'm right here!! :pullhair:

I don't think I was sad because I knew what was going to happen at the end of the Dark Tower, I think I was sad because Oye dies and there's only mention of the possibility that he'll end up with Jake again. And sad that Roland was going to have to go through all of that again. Which of course doesn't mean the Dark Tower was saved, because he has to save it again.
Which brings up a question on my end, what do you think, the story repeats itself or do you think different people get DRAWn into it? I believe Jake, Eddie, Susanah, and Callahan all served the beam, and stood true. It would be my assumption that different people get drawn into the story.

Valkyrie
07-21-2007, 09:10 AM

I'm not dead dad....I'm right here!! :pullhair:

I don't think I was sad because I knew what was going to happen at the end of the Dark Tower, I think I was sad because Oye dies and there's only mention of the possibility that he'll end up with Jake again. And sad that Roland was going to have to go through all of that again. Which of course doesn't mean the Dark Tower was saved, because he has to save it again.
Which brings up a question on my end, what do you think, the story repeats itself or do you think different people get DRAWn into it? I believe Jake, Eddie, Susanah, and Callahan all served the beam, and stood true. It would be my assumption that different people get drawn into the story.

I definitely think that he will draw different people each time. I think lots of the story will change, but there are a few constant players (like Flagg, the CK, etc.). I think Roland learns and changes and grows as a result of the different people in his life and that will affect how things work out. Of course he must make his way to the tower each time, but I think in a different way each time. It would be TOO cool if King decided to tell us the tale of his next go-round. :D I'm sure he won't, but I can fantasize about it.

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Ya, I agree. Probably the same enemies. But different Ka mates. Except, makes wonder if Oye would be a constant. He brings with him some of the things Roland thought had moved on.

Matt
07-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Perhaps he draws Eddie, Suze and Jake again but they are from different levels of the tower?

As Aaron mentioned, Suze was from Keystone Earth--the actual one. Maybe this time we get the Keystone Eddie and a different Suze--or Jake?

I have often wondered if the brothers at the end were the Keystone version of Eddie and Jake but then decided they couldn't be or she would simply go back to run the operation...or maybe she did...

Wuducynn
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Perhaps he draws Eddie, Suze and Jake again but they are from different levels of the tower?

This is what I think also. I think he draws them from the level that Susannah meets them as brothers.

Matt
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I could totally dig that. I wonder if that was Keystone Jake and Eddie.

Mordred Deschain
07-22-2007, 06:25 PM

This is what I think also. I think he draws them from the level that Susannah meets them as brothers.

hmmmm....never thought of that. I was more assuming that Gan rewarded Jake and Eddie and gave them better lives than what they had. It's also kind of why I assume that other players will be brought in.

Jean
07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Dear friends, don't you think that the question of drawing new Ka-Tet has very little to do and requires a thread of its own? I would be very grateful if someone started it.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thank_you-1.gif

Girlystevedave
10-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I have never cried so much over a book as I did with DT7.
I cried when Jake died. I cried when Eddie died. I cried when Oy died. I cried when Susannah left Roland.
It still gives me chills to write about it.
I didn't really cry at the end. I sobbed like a baby. I kept closing the book and blowing my nose. I remember when Roland began to call out the names of his loved ones, I really lost it. It was the most beautiful, yet torturous ending to any book I've ever read. Or will ever read I'm sure. I was in a state of depression after finishing the series. I wanted my ka-tet back.
I was so fortunate to suffer for a story as beautiful as The Dark Tower. :rose:

Wuducynn
10-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I hear ya Girly. I felt the same way. I wasn't the same for weeks afterwards.

Letti
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Can you imagine that King has ever cried or had some tears in his eyes while he was writing?

MonteGss
10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Listening to book seven is not the same for me as reading it. I still get choked up whenever I read the book. Strangely, I don't get as emotional when I am listening to somebody else say the words.

Letti
10-19-2007, 10:29 PM
And are you driving working or doing something else while you are listening to it?
Because the reason might be that when you are reading you can't do anything else, your eyes are hooked on the letters and you keep on reading and reading and reading.

Jean
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I think that the real reason is that when you read, you do it at your own pace, and hear the voices that come only from the direct interaction between yourself and the characters (without intermediaries), and give to the text the intonation that is closest to the rhythme of your inner feelings.

MonteGss
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I think that may be part of it Letti. I also think that it might be because I only recently started listening to the audiobooks (earlier this year) while I've read book seven many times. My first time was reading it...my own voice. Does that make sense?

Jean...
I think you are correct too. :)

Wuducynn
10-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I think that the real reason is that when you read, you do it at your own pace, and hear the voices that come only from the direct interaction between yourself and the characters (without intermediaries), and give to the text the intonation that is closest to the rhythme of your inner feelings.

Good call Jean.

Wuducynn
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Can you imagine that King has ever cried or had some tears in his eyes while he was writing?

Yes, I can imagine that. Especially when writing parts of the Dark Tower series.

Eluria
10-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Even though it was spoiled for me by people who don't mark their spoilers on a myspace group (my own fault for even joining), I did cry a little when Eddie, Jake & Oy died. I just couldn't help it! I spent about 6 books of my life with them, and he killed them! :cry:

Daghain
10-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Listening to book seven is not the same for me as reading it. I still get choked up whenever I read the book. Strangely, I don't get as emotional when I am listening to somebody else say the words.

Yeah, I agree. I recently listened to that one too, and, although it did upset me a bit, it was nowhere near as bad as when I read it.

That could also be because I knew what was coming. I don't know.

Girlystevedave
10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
There is certain music I was hooked on while reading DT7. To this day, when I listen to it, I can still remember exactly how I felt when I finished that story. Its like a little time capsule of that part of my life. I love it.

Letti
10-21-2007, 12:50 AM
There is certain music I was hooked on while reading DT7. To this day, when I listen to it, I can still remember exactly how I felt when I finished that story. Its like a little time capsule of that part of my life. I love it.

And may I know which music it is? :rose:

alinda
10-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Yar repeatedly , I cried , sobbed, and even on a reread, I cried like a baby:cry:

Brice
10-21-2007, 04:32 AM
Don't feel bad. I've reread these many many times and there are still parts that cut into me and make me cry.

Letti
10-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Sometimes very little things can make me cry... one innocent unimportant sentence.

alinda
10-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Letti who could utter an unimportant sentence to you?:orely:
OH I just did!! :huglove: Hi honey!

Matt
10-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I think reading it yourself first has something to do with it. I boohoo less on the second time listening.

However, I have cried at audio books before in a big way.

Jim Dale had me with Doby and Dumbledor crumpled at the foot of the tower

Also, it may sound stupid but one of the worst crying moments I have had while listening to a book was Dean Koontz "Sole Survivor" When he's imagining how it would have been for his wife and kids...while the plane went down :cry:

She was really strong.

On the not stupid side, I balled like a baby when I was convinced not only Frodo had died in LOTR but also one of the lesser hobbits.

Girlystevedave
10-21-2007, 04:59 PM

And may I know which music it is? :rose:

My Chemical Romance / The Black Parade cd.
There's a song that's chorus is:
I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone
Honey if you stay I'll be forgiven
Nothing you can say will stop me going home.

Everytime i listen to that, I still picture Roland starting his quest in the desert.
:wub:

Letti
10-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't have the music in my ears but the lyrics is very nice. Deep and touching.

Storyslinger
10-22-2007, 05:41 AM
I was hard when we
Lost Eddie, harder when we lost Jake (i ake), an horrible with Oy

Ya, i shed a feww tears

Wuducynn
10-22-2007, 05:55 AM
I don't have the music in my ears but the lyrics is very nice. Deep and touching.

I'm sure someone has the video of the song on YouTube. Just do a search on there.

Brice
10-22-2007, 05:59 AM
yup!

YouTube - My Chemical Romance-The Black Parade

When I was a young boy,
My father took me into the city
To see a marching band.
He said,
"Son when you grow up, will you be the saviour of the broken,
The beaten and the damned?"
He said
"Will you defeat them, your demons, and all the non believers, the plans that they have made?"
Because one day I leave you,
A phantom to lead you in the summer,
To join the black parade."

When I was a young boy,
My father took me into the city
To see a marching band.
He said,
"Son when you grow up, will you be the saviour of the broken,
The beaten and the damned?"

Sometimes I get the feeling she's watching over me.
And other times I feel like I should go. Through it all, the rise and fall, the bodies in the streets.
When you're gone we want you all to know We'll Carry on,
We'll Carry on
Though your dead and gone believe me Your memory will carry on
Carry on
We'll carry on
And in my heart I cant contain it
The anthem wont explain it.

And we will send you reeling from decimated dreams
Your misery and hate will kill us all
So paint it black and take it back
Lets shout it loud and clear
Do you fight it to the end
We hear the call to

To carry on
We'll carry on
We'll carry on
And though you're broken and defeated You're weary widow marches on

And on we carry through the fears
Ooh oh ohhhh
Disappointed faces of your peers Ooh oh ohhhh
Take a look at me cause
I could not care at all Do or die
You'll never make me
Cause the world, will never take my heart
You can try, you'll never break me
Want it all,
I'm gonna play this part
Wont explain or say i'm sorry
I'm not ashamed,
I'm gonna show my scar
You're the chair, for all the broken Listen here, because it's only..
I'm just a man,
I'm not a hero
Just a boy, who's meant to sing this song
Just a man,
I'm not a hero
I -- don't -- care
Carry on
We'll carry on
We'll carry on
And though you're broken and defeated You're weary widow marches on
We'll carry on
We'll carry on
We'll carry on
We'll carry
We'll carry on

Wuducynn
10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks Brice. :thumbsup:

Letti
10-22-2007, 06:10 AM
You are a treasure, Brice. Thank you.

Brice
10-22-2007, 06:18 AM
My pleasure! It's a great damn song. I'm listening to it now.

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Simple question. Whose death left you the most heartbroken?

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Jake's death nearly threw me into a depression. It was day's before I got over it. I think it was the worst for me for two reasons. Jake meant more to Roland than anyone or anything else ever did. And because I didn't expect it. I didn't expect the death of another character so close on the heels of Eddie's death.

Erin
11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Eddie. Eddie by far.

I cried like a little baby. I had to stop reading for that night I was so affected.

fernandito
11-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Eddie. Eddie by far.

Same here, he was my second favorite of the Ka-Tet behind Roland and I really liked the chemistry between the two throughout the books, especially inDrawing of The Three.

Darkthoughts
11-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow...hard choice.

I think Jake, because I saw it coming (as in, the fact that he would die at some point - not the circumstances of it) but still kept hoping and hoping it wouldn't happen.

Also, the means by which he died really shocked me. It seemed so...unfair! He'd faced countless horrors from other worlds and yet, he was killed (again) by a machine from our own world.

The other most upsetting and poignant thing about Jake's death was that he chose to sacrifice himself for Roland's quest at the point when, not only had he - Jake - come to trust Roland but, Roland himself finally felt he could no longer sacrifice Jake for the tower. Perhaps this was the turning point that gave Roland the horn in the next loop?

Eddie's death also upset me...well not so much his actual death, but the shooting - as I totally did not see that coming at all.

alinda
11-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Jake or Eddie?

I had to choose Jake, they were both terrible, but if I have to choose one
Jake, yeah.:cry:

Wuducynn
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
"Jake or Eddie" Linda? Seems like there are some more choices for you than that.

alinda
11-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Not really, oy was sad, but the others listed were all expected, or
just didnt effect me too much.:shoot:

Matt
11-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Jake for me, all the way :cry:

Jean
11-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Eddie, of course!

It was the first death of that ka-tet! It was the end of all hopes we had that they might all stay alive! It was then that we fully realized that they were all mortal, that they can die, and that more of them, if not all, will die; it was like entering an entirely new epoch of our Dark Tower life, like fall from innocence.

Darkthoughts
11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, I agree with that Jean (even though Jake is still my main choice). Eddie's death was so cruelly written as, we were just about to celebrate another victory with our ka-tet when he was snatched away.

Storyslinger
11-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree that Eddie's was the hardest to endure. Jakes was a huge lost. Oy's was very tearful, but more tearful was his reaction to Jake's. I also wish that RF would have died at Rolands hand

TerribleT
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
I think I was a little in love with Susan Delgado myself, so when she died it was pretty tragic for me.

Matt
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I got really close to her as well T...I'm not sure that opinion is shared by too many folks though :lol:

She was kind of "Yoko" to a lot of people

Chassit
11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Oy!

XIX

MonteGss
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm trying to remember reading The Dark Tower in my bedroom when it came out. I remember crying more than once but I think I'll say Jake. The entire scene, their mission...the race to save the writer and then to have that happen to Jake was totally crushing for me. I'm sure that one was the hardest. :cry:

Storyslinger
11-20-2007, 09:30 AM
and Oys reaction to it all was horrible

MonteGss
11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, it really, really was. :cry:

Rjeso
11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Eddie's hit me upside the head pretty hard because, as Jean said, it was the first, and it was so sudden. However, it was the death of Jake that hurt me the most. I think Darkthoughts really said it all about Jake's passing. He meant so much to a man who hadn't loved anyone for a long, long time. So sad.

Storyslinger
11-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I diffently agree with that. He just ment so much to Roland, which made him mean so much to us

myishi
11-21-2007, 10:38 AM
JAKE.
oh my poor, poor little jake :cry:
why did he have to die... whhhhhhhhhhyy?!
i cant get over that =< and i had to suffer his death three times. THREE FUCKING TIMES!

Matt
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Yeah, it was getting hard for me to let Jake go again towards the end. Maybe that was what made it so devastating.

SON-OF-WAYNE
11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Eddie's death hit me the worst, because I wasnt expecting it. I thought That they had won yet another battle, I also thought Pimly Prentis was dead because Roland had shot him. I really didnt expect him to still be alive and kill Eddie.

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I voted Oy before I saw Randall Flagg. As it is, my vote is still okay. I think it's mean to just kill the dog... but at least he died for a purpose. I don't think he gave a purpose and a meaning to Randall Flagg's death when he was such a fantastically written character in other stories..

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I agree with that Liz. I know we were meant to take into account the fact that he'd grown old and vain...but it didn't really cut it as excuses go.

Frunobulax
11-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Eddie, hands down. One of the only deaths I've actually cried about.

Jean
11-23-2007, 12:30 AM
I agree with that Liz. I know we were meant to take into account the fact that he'd grown old and vain...but it didn't really cut it as excuses go.
I disagree completely. I think Flagg's death was in perfect agreement with the way he lived and acted was described from the very start. I can confirm it with facts, but only in a thread dedicated to Flagg (Walter).

Frunobulax
11-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh boy... .net all over again. Heh. Please no discussions about "Books V-VII SUCKED!" for the love of [Deity].

Jean
11-23-2007, 12:34 AM
sooner or later it's inevitable....

Frunobulax
11-23-2007, 12:35 AM
[Palmforehead]
Christnuggets no.

She-Oy
11-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Obviously, my vote was/is for Oy.

His death, to me, was the ultimate. He was the sacrifice. Not only did he have to live through everyone else's death but he had to wait through it all and give himself up too.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say King's version of Oy must have been a favorite pet. And by pet, I don't mean just a random dog, cat, mouse, rabbit, bird....I mean a part of the family...just as Oy was a part of ka-tet.

He used himself as Roland's last stand almost.

I'd like to think, even after Jake, that Oy could be happy with Roland, because pets behave in that kind of way....

Oy's death crushed me. Crushed me to the point where (even though at that point I was expecting it) I put the book down for a day.

And if you think that's strange, it's not. I had just lost so many characters I loved and cared about within ONE DAY's reading. It came to be as a harsh reality that I wasn't in charge of anything. So I took a moment to pause.

I miss Oy. I miss him like hell.

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I disagree completely. I think Flagg's death was in perfect agreement with the way he lived and acted was described from the very start. I can confirm it with facts, but only in a thread dedicated to Flagg (Walter).

Oh boy... .net all over again. Heh. Please no discussions about "Books V-VII SUCKED!" for the love of [Deity].

I like your view of it Jean, and though I came to accept it, I won't forget my initial reaction to his death which was "Is that it?!" :lol:

Don't worry Fruno, I never thought it "sucked". I love The Dark Tower, I loved the ending which so many had an issue with. But you can have minor gripes without it taking anything from the overall experience.

Matt
11-23-2007, 07:05 AM
I think Flaggs death was a way for SK to show that sometimes you unleash a little beasty and it starts killing your people. :lol:

Toren
11-23-2007, 07:39 AM
The worst death for me was Eddie Dean's. He was my favourite character.

He and Roland had a long history, and aside from Jake, in my opinion Roland loved Eddie most. He was also well on his way to becoming a true gunslinger near the end. I think he and Roland made great partners, they were a pair.

I was also able to relate to Eddie more than any other character of the ka-tet.

When he died I was so sad, I actually cried a bit. I just thought of the time Eddie finally came to terms with everything, after he'd dreamed of the Dark Tower. I remember him telling Roland he didn't want to go back anymore, he wanted to see the tower with it's field of roses with his own eyes, no matter what. Once he died I realized he'd never see the tower, as much as he wanted to. That made me really sad.

Matt
11-23-2007, 07:46 AM
That is a great post Toren, it made me sad all over again.

It will always be Jake for me but that doesn't diminish the deep sorrow I felt when Eddie went as well :cry:

sarah
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
well, i'm finally posting in this thread after much thought. At first, I thought Jake. Of course, jake. I loved him. But after thinking about it for the past few weeks, I'm voting for Eddie. I remember I was sitting on the chair in my sister-in-laws front room reading when Eddie died. I remember closing the book and just crying. I was so sad. He was the first to arrive and the first to go. It was emotional and heartbreaking.

mattv2099
11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Definately Susan Delgado. It was so sad. I probably could have cried. That was one of the most moving tales I've ever read.

sarah
11-26-2007, 08:10 AM
yes, susan's death was pretty rough to read for me as well. I knew it was coming so I think that softened the blow for me just a bit.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
The worst death for me was Eddie Dean's. He was my favourite character.

He and Roland had a long history, and aside from Jake, in my opinion Roland loved Eddie most. He was also well on his way to becoming a true gunslinger near the end. I think he and Roland made great partners, they were a pair.

I was also able to relate to Eddie more than any other character of the ka-tet.

When he died I was so sad, I actually cried a bit. I just thought of the time Eddie finally came to terms with everything, after he'd dreamed of the Dark Tower. I remember him telling Roland he didn't want to go back anymore, he wanted to see the tower with it's field of roses with his own eyes, no matter what. Once he died I realized he'd never see the tower, as much as he wanted to. That made me really sad.

This is a great post :cry:

beef_roller
11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
I'd have to go for Oy. I fully expected most if not all of the main ka-tet were killed on the way to the Tower. I almost knew Eddie was gonna get it for sure. Jakes death was a little tragic, but didn't really stop me in my pursuit of the next page. I was a little surprised that Susannah was given such a gift at the end of her journey as to be reunited with Eddie and Jake (although not in the clearing at the end of the path). And I always knew that Roland would be the one to reach the Dark Tower... with or without others by his side.

Oy however, he was the one that I never saw death marked for. I had a feeling that Roland would have to go into the Tower alone (I don't know why), and I surmised that Oy would have been sent off with Patrick in tow to take care of. I felt that Oy was going to be key in the battle against Mordred, but I never thought that he would have died.

When Roland destroyed Mordred and then walked over to where Oy was impaled, the little Billy-Bumbler said "Olan". He licked the Gunslinger's hand one time and then slumped into the next world. That was it for me, by this point tears were balled up in my eyes so huge the entire book before me was one huge blur. I had to stop, and I didn't go back near that book for two days... even though we were so close to the end of the tale.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I'd have to go for Oy. I fully expected most if not all of the main ka-tet were killed on the way to the Tower. I almost knew Eddie was gonna get it for sure. Jakes death was a little tragic, but didn't really stop me in my pursuit of the next page. I was a little surprised that Susannah was given such a gift at the end of her journey as to be reunited with Eddie and Jake (although not in the clearing at the end of the path). And I always knew that Roland would be the one to reach the Dark Tower... with or without others by his side.

Oy however, he was the one that I never saw death marked for. I had a feeling that Roland would have to go into the Tower alone (I don't know why), and I surmised that Oy would have been sent off with Patrick in tow to take care of. I felt that Oy was going to be key in the battle against Mordred, but I never thought that he would have died.

When Roland destroyed Mordred and then walked over to where Oy was impaled, the little Billy-Bumbler said "Olan". He licked the Gunslinger's hand one time and then slumped into the next world. That was it for me, by this point tears were balled up in my eyes so huge the entire book before me was one huge blur. I had to stop, and I didn't go back near that book for two days... even though we were so close to the end of the tale.

Thats how I felt when I read those lines

Randall Flagg
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Jakes death was tough, I knew before Eddie's death that some or all of them would die, it just seemed so sad the way Roland laid Jake to rest.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I think the thing Roland regreted most was not being able to lay him to rest in (Roland) his world

Jimmy
11-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Randall Flagg's death hit me the worst. He went out like a bitch.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I always hoped that he would die at the hands of Roland, being his life long enemy and all

Jimmy
11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Rjeso said it the other day to me "Everything about Book 7, the fights and the deaths, should've been EPIC, but they weren't."

Wuducynn
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Rjeso said it the other day to me "Everything about Book 7, the fights and the deaths, should've been EPIC, but they weren't."

Welp, I disagree strongly with both of you. The battle of the Dixie Pig definitely epic. Callahan's death - EPIC. Watching via my mind a backstabber of the Red King like Walter turned out to be, getting eaten alive by the King's son when he thought ohhh so much of himself..WONDERFULLY EPIC. Everything about DT7 was epic, thats one of the many reasons its my favorite of the series.

Jean
11-28-2007, 01:37 AM

Welp, I disagree strongly with both of you. The battle of the Dixie Pig definitely epic. Callahan's death - EPIC. Watching via my mind a backstabber of the Red King like Walter turned out to be, getting eaten alive by the King's son when he thought ohhh so much of himself..WONDERFULLY EPIC. Everything about DT7 was epic, thats one of the many reasons its my favorite of the series.
agree

Darkthoughts
11-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Did you mean to say "well" there CK...or were you actually calling Jimmy a whelp? :lol:

Jimmy
11-28-2007, 04:03 AM
The Dixie Pig was suspenseful, but not epic.

I just thought that DT 7 should've been... more.

Jean
11-28-2007, 04:47 AM
The Dixie Pig was suspenseful, but not epic.

I just thought that DT 7 should've been... more.

dictionary.reference.com: epic
1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.

I would say that they all perfectly fit the Dixie Pig part. To me, at least, it was definitely "heroic, majestic, and impressively great".

Jimmy
11-28-2007, 05:38 AM
I would say that they all perfectly fit the Dixie Pig part. To me, at least, it was definitely "heroic, majestic, and impressively great".

How is one man shooting at vampires and then blasting himself epic? It was exciting and suspenseful.

Secondly, Don't talk down to me Jean, my opinion is my own.

o·pin·ion
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Jean
11-28-2007, 05:49 AM
how do you mean, talk down? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif I was not sure whether the word meant the same in English as it did in Russian. I know that reference to dictionaries is used in multilingual communities to make sure people talk about one and the same thing. Moreover, I always emphasized it that whatever I (or anybody else, for that matter) is saying is always an opinion. I think, however, that limiting ourlselves with saying, "this is my opinion, this is yours, let's agree to disagree and go home" makes the very existence of a discussion site unnecessary. If we agree that the definitions given by the dictionary I am referring to are correct, then I would be really very interested (I hope you don't perceive any sarcasm in what I am saying now? I don't know what subliminal signals you native speakers get. I am not sending any. I am always trying to be as literal as possible, because I can't hope to master all subtleties of the language in the next sixty years) to know why you don't find it applicable to the scene we're talking about. If you disagree with the definition, I would be even more interested to know why, because it might reveal to me some difference (there's always some, by the way) between academic meaning of a word and its live usage in people's speech.

Wuducynn
11-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Did you mean to say "well" there CK...or were you actually calling Jimmy a whelp? :lol:

No, its a collequilism.."welp"

Jimmy
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Sorry Jean, I forgot that English isn't your first language. I've always seen posting of a word's definitions to be rude.

Let me elaborate as to why i didn't feel DT 7 to be epic enough. To me, in Wastelands, once Gasher had Jake and the Tet had to seperate, plus Jake's interactions with the Tick Tock Man and then the mad dash onto the train was just seething with "epicness." Balls to the wall excitement with twists and turns making me unable to put down the book.

In Wolves of the Calla, the Tet finding the town, the intrigue of the new and old characters, the nessecity of being as quick as they could about helping the Calla, the planning and then the battle was epic to me. I couldn't put the book down.

Dark Tower just lacked that feeling of... speed, I guess I'd call it. The story just ambled along at a quiet pace and I found it very easy to dogear my page and go make a sandwich if I got hungry.

Again sorry for the confusion on my part.

Jean
11-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry Jean, I forgot that English isn't your first language.
wow, that's a compliment! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

I've always seen posting of a word's definitions to be rude.
I can understand how this feeling could appear when native speakers are concerned, but, frankly, even then it is necessary to agree on notions before the argument goes too far, and the arguing parties suddenly realize they have been talking about different things all along.

Now, for example, I agree with what you said about the Dark Tower vs. the previous volumes (I, too, found its pace rather dragging - though only relatively so), but still can't see how it makes it less epic - especially the Callahan part.

Rolands_Father
12-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I think I cried when Roland met Sheemie again:cry: . Tears of joy!

Sai_Rhavan
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
When Oy Died. I had Johnny Cash's version of Hurt going through my head.
It sucked, seeing how I was in an open place. I used the old "Something in my eye" excuse.

sai blaine
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
no Mordred... :beat:

Have to be...Susan :cry: i just loved hearing about his past and his love for her, i didnt want it to stop..

Sympathy For The Devil
12-05-2007, 05:33 AM
I cried a few times while reading these books, no other book has ever affected me like these have.

jayson
12-05-2007, 05:40 AM
You'd have to be a robot not to cry during the chapters on Jake's death, particularly the reaction of Oy.

jayson
12-05-2007, 10:17 AM
For me, it was Oy. It wasn't that I didn't expect Oy to die. By that point, so many others had that I wasn't surprised when Oy did, but he died acting so bravely that it just broke my heart. Oy was every bit the Gunslinger as the rest, he just didn't have any guns.

Allie
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
I dont think I could choose which death was the worst for me. I cried like a baby through all of them. Oy's reaction to Jakes death was heartbreaking though.

LadyHitchhiker
12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I actually miss Mordred too because I thought he could have been the most supreme bad ass bad guy ever.... but they ended his life too sooon...

Letti
12-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Eddie's but because it was the first. The first shock that the people in the ka-tet can die... I cried like a little baby as Erin said before. (However I cried so often that it's a wonder I could finish it at all.)

Anyway Jake's death would have been much harder because of many reasons... Roland wasn't there when he died. To see and feel what he felt...
But still it was more horrible to bear Eddie't death. It made me realise that they were just humans - fragile humans - who could die anytime.

walterodim
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Feel a bit alone on this one. I voted for Randall Flagg/Walter 'O Dim.
Was hoping he would be the ultimate keeper of the tower.
Felt so lame the way he died. I am still not over it. My name suspects it, I am a big fan of the character Walter.

I suspected Roland would be alone again in the very end, so Jakes and Eddies dead was not a big surprise. Eddies dead felt harder of the two.

I also admit, I didn't cared that much about the other characters besides Roland. Always felt Roland deserved the most of all to go there.

Letti
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
walterodim, you are not alone at all. You will see there are others who feel the same way. You are at a good place. :)

walterodim
03-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Nice to hear that Letti.

jayson
03-04-2008, 03:54 AM
you are alone in the least WalterO'Dim. there are many threads you may enjoy about that very subject. it comes up a lot bc a lot of us feel that walter got cheated of a more fitting end.

Jean
03-04-2008, 03:56 AM
...while others think he got exactly what he deserved and his death was predefined by his existence...
::giggles::

but, of course, as Jayson said, it's for those other threads...

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah....I think there are about a dozen of them, unfortunately.

Jean
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Fortunately, you mean? I would especially recommend this (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1698) and that (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=376).

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 07:13 AM
I actually think there are way too many...all talking about basically the same thing. Some are more about self promotion rather than the character...that is unfortunate.

Jean
03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
we're working on it... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_cool.gif

blackrose22
03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Eddies and Jake's death were both hard for me. But I voted for Jake's as I thought his potential as a person and a gunslinger wasn't now going to be realized.

Erin
03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
You know, Jake's death was only difficult for me because I felt for Roland. I surprisingly felt little regarding the fact that Jake was actually gone. :orely:

Maybe I was just wiped out after the emotional sob-fest that was Eddie's death.

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
From Eddie's til Oy's...it was nonstop crying. :cry:

Erin
03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Oh man I know. I think I had poufy eyes for days after. I've never cried more in a book or movie than I did in DT7.

Wuducynn
Oy's was the hardest for me.

jayson
You know, Jake's death was only difficult for me because I felt for Roland. I surprisingly felt little regarding the fact that Jake was actually gone. :orely:

Maybe I was just wiped out after the emotional sob-fest that was Eddie's death.

i was exactly the opposite. eddie i was able to take though i was sad for susannah. with jake, i cried like a baby. seeing it coming did little to stop me from bawling.

jayson
03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Oy's was the hardest for me.

right up there for me too. poor little brave guy!

Erin
03-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I know! Sweet little Oy. :cry:

Storyslinger
03-04-2008, 07:34 AM
He had my vote :(

jayson
03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I know! Sweet little Oy. :cry:

and standing as he did against Mordred was prob the bravest of the deaths

sarah
03-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm in a reading slump. I just can't seem to finish reading DT7. I think I realized that I'm not excited to go back because Eddie is about to die. Eddie the first of The Gunslingers new Ka-Tet. Eddie the first person to come through the door and save Roland's life. Eddie the quick talking junkie who became a gunslinger is about to die and I know it. *sigh*

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm in a reading slump. I just can't seem to finish reading DT7. I think I realized that I'm not excited to go back because Eddie is about to die. Eddie the first of The Gunslingers new Ka-Tet. Eddie the first person to come through the door and save Roland's life. Eddie the quick talking junkie who became a gunslinger is about to die and I know it. *sigh*

You're strong. You can do it.

sarah
03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
:P

Samanthita
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Jake, for me. I honestly didn't see it coming until right before it happened. I had to put down the book for a few minutes because I was crying that much, and I still had tears coming out all through the death and the burial. I hated it.

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Reading DT7 the first time was the most emotionally traumetizing, yet utterly wonderful, mind-blowing, reading experience I've ever had and probably will have.

Letti
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
As I was reading DT7 one of my friends called me and when I answered the phone I couldn't speak but cry. He was very worried because the way I cried (I couldn't stop it) he thought some serious tragedy had happened around me.

jayson
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
i read dt-7 before my wife who was still reading dt-6 when i started it. she came home one day while i was reading about jake and she could see i was upset and had been crying. she then saw the book in my hand and knew not to ask why i was crying. when she read that part she knew. i've said it before, jake is my fav of all king characters and his death felt the most like losing somebody i knew. :(

Letti
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
You did know him, R o G.

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
i read dt-7 before my wife who was still reading dt-6 when i started it. she came home one day while i was reading about jake and she could see i was upset and had been crying. she then saw the book in my hand and knew not to ask why i was crying. when she read that part she knew. i've said it before, jake is my fav of all king characters and his death felt the most like losing somebody i knew. :(

Great story buddy! I read the last book mostly in the bedroom, away from my wife. I'm not sure if I knew it would be a hard one for me or not but I knew I couldn't read it in the living room with her there. She doesn't know all the friends I've made in that series. I cried silently alone in the bedroom. I knew if she came upon me in that state it would have scared and worried her. It was one big hit after another...Eddie, Jake, then Oy. :cry:

I still get very emotional...though the last two times I "read" the books were in audio form. Getting choked up on my drive to work is not the greatest thing I've ever done.