PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Tower

Letti
07-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I am rereading the Wolves right now... and I can't help the more I read about this old greedy man the more I like him. Really.
What about you? How did you feel about him? Could he stand and be true?

Letti
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
poor Calvin... he is not interesting enough to get posts *sigh*

Jon
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I couldn't stand the guy. But he did help in a way.

obscurejude
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I was really hoping that Eddie was going to lose it and strangle him to death in Song of Susannah.

Letti
07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
What didn't you like him? I mean there are tons of reasons that's why I ask it. There are too many things about him you can dislike.

Jon
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Greedy and pretentious...those were the worst two qualities.

Brice
07-30-2008, 04:07 AM
I liked him. I'm not really sure why though.

Tony_A
07-30-2008, 05:12 AM
I voted "okay" because he reminds me a bit of King's character in the books. He knew what he had to do, but decided to do his own thing. In King's case, he was afraid to continue. In Tower's case, his greed got the better of him.

If Deepneau wasn't with him the whole time, the Tet Corporation may likely have died in 1977.

jayson
07-30-2008, 05:42 AM
I was really hoping that Eddie was going to lose it and strangle him to death in Song of Susannah.

Same here. The guy was a greedy selfish prick.

Wuducynn
07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
I liked him because he was such a huge pain in the ass and yet helpful to Roland's ka-tet, which is such an amusing combination. I then liked him even more when I found out how much Monte hates him.

Darkthoughts
07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
:lol:

theBeamisHome
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Same here. The guy was a greedy selfish prick.

I ditto these guys.

I liked him in The Wastelands when Jake first met him. But, gods, I wanted him to die in SoS.... wasn't he in WotC too? Yeah, that's when i stopped liking him. I didn't even bother to feel bad for him that Kind turned him into a selfish prick. I just started to dislike him. :)

JQ The Gunslinger
07-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I hated him. Too selfish

Letti
07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I liked him because he was such a huge pain in the ass and yet helpful to Roland's ka-tet, which is such an amusing combination. I then liked him even more when I found out how much Monte hates him.

You hit the nail right on the head. Thank you. I couldn't put it into words.

Míchéal
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
This guy drove me mad.

Brainslinger
08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I liked him in The Wastelands when Jake first met him. But, gods, I wanted him to die in SoS.... wasn't he in WotC too? Yeah, that's when i stopped liking him. I didn't even bother to feel bad for him that Kind turned him into a selfish prick. I just started to dislike him. :)

I largely agree with this. He was a very charming character in the Waste Lands and a friend to Jake in the few minutes they were together in the shop. It was a shame in some ways that he turned into a greedy old man, yet most understandable too. He was infuriating, but I never stopped liking him altogether.

birdandbear
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
hey people, there's something on my mind- why didn't they take calvin tower to calla, instead of sending him to maine? wouldnt that be an easier way? -though sai king had probably explained it in the book, i just can't remember..

Anjerith
09-04-2009, 06:17 AM
My thoughts on this are that it just wasn't something that King thought of doing at the time. HOWEVER, heres my personal take on it.

The trip through the doorways has been shown to be very, very traumatic for people that arn't part of Roland's Tet (see Jack Andolini). Given Tower's ...wimpish nature... it can be assumed that his psyche might not have survived the travel from New York to Doorway Cave.

There's also the distinct possibility that Ka wouldn't have allowed them to take him through the door, and (consider this) bringing him into Roland's world would have given the Red King plenty of opportunity to simply kill him and take him out of the picture.

Also, remember that Tower saves Callahan after Mr.Dean saves him from the mob. Between this moment and the battle with the Wolves, a *huge* amount of time passes in the keystone world. Although Callahan is in the story at this time, the fact that Tower wasnt there to save him would create a paradox in which The Father simply winks out of existance.

Hope these ideas are helpful!

- Calvin is the keeper of the Rose in Keystone New York. It is very likely that, had he entered the door, it would have taken him from the true line that his fathers

birdandbear
09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
yeah i understand, but they could take him to calla, then send him again? or it doesnt work that way? they havent even tried to take him. but they have easily taken the bookcase.

lisaki
09-08-2009, 03:46 AM
I agree with everything Anjerith said.
Apart from that they'd have to convince him and A LOT of explaining to do. Also, they had a war to fight in Calla. They didn't know if they would live after that.

Myste
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I chose hardly bearable... Didn't like the guy very much.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I think that, as he grew older, King's own opinion on guys like Calvin Tower changed.

Letti
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I think that, as he grew older, King's own opinion on guys like Calvin Tower changed.

Why do you think so?!

lisaki
10-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Calvin Tower is an interesting, annoying, little man. I like him :P
Is there a topic anywhere that explains how he and Depneau
learned that they had to save Callahan in 1981? Did Eddie tell him? I think I missed that somewhere in the books.

and also what about his grandfather's

letter about Roland?

Letti
10-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Calvin Tower is an interesting, annoying, little man. I like him :P
Is there a topic anywhere that explains how he and Depneau
learned that they had to save Callahan in 1981? Did Eddie tell him? I think I missed that somewhere in the books.

and also what about his grandfather's

letter about Roland?

We have no thread about your first question but here is the answer:
Roland and Eddie told the old guys to go and save Callahan when they visited them to write and get the contract about the rose and the vacant lot.

But for the second one we do have a thread here:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3688

lisaki
10-27-2009, 05:48 AM
You said that
Roland and Eddie told the old guys to go and save Callahan when they visited them to write and get the contract about the rose and the vacant lot
I can't remember that, are you sure? (probably I didn't notice, it isn't important anyway...)
Thank you :)

Sickrose
10-27-2009, 05:48 AM
I voted hardly bearable he was such an stubborn prick! It was this that annoyed me the most especially when I was wanted the tet back together and they had to arse about sorting out Calvin because he wasnt very good at staying hidden.

That said not everyhting for Roland's tet can and did go right so maybe it is fitting!

Letti
10-27-2009, 06:09 AM
You said that
Roland and Eddie told the old guys to go and save Callahan when they visited them to write and get the contract about the rose and the vacant lot
I can't remember that, are you sure? (probably I didn't notice, it isn't important anyway...)
Thank you :)

You are right.
I re-read that part and neither Eddie nor Roland told them to do so. Eddie mentioned the ring, he asked if Aaron had a ring with 'Ex Libris' on it so he might have given Aaron the idea to buy it but in fact they had never told the two men to save Callahan.
So I guess it was accidental. Or ka. Whichever you prefer. :)

lisaki
10-27-2009, 06:32 AM
You are right.
I re-read that part and neither Eddie nor Roland told them to do so. Eddie mentioned the ring, he asked if Aaron had a ring with 'Ex Libris' on it so he might have given Aaron the idea to buy it but in fact they had never told the two men to save Callahan.
I prefer the Ka explanation, but I believe that Stephen King just forgot to tell us... :P
Or... they might have told
Johh Cullum when they had the convertation about the TET corporation in DTVII. We don't "hear" everything they say, just a summary from Cullum by the end of it.

Letti
10-27-2009, 06:49 AM
You are right.
I prefer the Ka explanation, but I believe that Stephen King just forgot to tell us... :P
Or... they might have told
Johh Cullum when they had the convertation about the TET corporation in DTVII. We don't "hear" everything they say, just a summary from Cullum by the end of it.

Forgot to tell us?! In this case there are TONS of things SK forgot to tell us and if he hadn't forgotten to tell us the saga would contain 24 books. :) (I wouldn't mind it a bit.)

lisaki
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Forgot to tell us?! In this case there are TONS of things SK forgot to tell us and if he hadn't forgotten to tell us the saga would contain 24 books. :) (I wouldn't mind it a bit.)

Well not 24... but 19 books maybe? Yeah I wouldn't mind at all :excited:

Myste
10-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Give me 19 books pleez!! Wouldn't mind a bit :drool::panic:

Jean
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
19, none of the 12 we're regrettably missing any shorter than The Waste Lands or DT7... put together...

Wuducynn
10-28-2009, 09:10 AM

I largely agree with this. He was a very charming character in the Waste Lands and a friend to Jake in the few minutes they were together in the shop. It was a shame in some ways that he turned into a greedy old man, yet most understandable too. He was infuriating, but I never stopped liking him altogether.

I think under normal circumstances Calvin was probably a nice guy although obsessive about books but most who met him would just see the laid back gentleman that Jake first ran into in The Wastelands. Later we saw the other side of him when he was being cornered and scared to death by the bad choices he had made in his life which in turn brought out the worst in him.

Letti
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM

I think under normal circumstances Calvin was probably a nice guy although obsessive about books but most who met him would just see the laid back gentleman that Jake first ran into in The Wastelands. Later we saw the other side of him when he was being cornered and scared to death by the bad choices he had made in his life which in turn brought out the worst in him.

I totally agree.
It's like marrying someone... to know someone or to live with them... totally different stories.
I think Calvin was liked by many people because they didn't see the dark side of his greediness. The people who met him in the bookshop met a gentlemen who respected and loved books.
I think I would have liked him, too. I miss such shop assistants from my life.

Sickrose
10-29-2009, 12:05 AM

This has made me reasses my opinion of Calvin. I guess you are right because if h hadnt insisted on pushing his books through the door the Pere would not have seen Salem's Lot

Plus he was nice to Jake and I cant really expect him to stand and be true like the gunslingers! Maybe not so much of a prick.

Brice
10-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Just pray the world(s) never require me to lose my books. :evil:

JameseyLefebure
12-29-2009, 05:42 AM
My thoughts on this are that it just wasn't something that King thought of doing at the time. HOWEVER, heres my personal take on it.

The trip through the doorways has been shown to be very, very traumatic for people that arn't part of Roland's Tet (see Jack Andolini). Given Tower's ...wimpish nature... it can be assumed that his psyche might not have survived the travel from New York to Doorway Cave.

There's also the distinct possibility that Ka wouldn't have allowed them to take him through the door, and (consider this) bringing him into Roland's world would have given the Red King plenty of opportunity to simply kill him and take him out of the picture.

Also, remember that Tower saves Callahan after Mr.Dean saves him from the mob. Between this moment and the battle with the Wolves, a *huge* amount of time passes in the keystone world. Although Callahan is in the story at this time, the fact that Tower wasnt there to save him would create a paradox in which The Father simply winks out of existance.

Hope these ideas are helpful!

- Calvin is the keeper of the Rose in Keystone New York. It is very likely that, had he entered the door, it would have taken him from the true line that his fathers

WOW!! You've just put everything I was thinking into words! lol :) I agree with the above! And don't forget - if they took him through the door then Black 13 would have been able to get to him as would the voices in the cave - i think simply - his mind wouldn't have been able to handle going through the doors.

Jamesey
xxx

Sickrose
01-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Calvin probably woulndt have gone through the door anyway. Eddie would have had to drag him through resisting all the time and he wouldnt have taken any heed of the dangers in the Calla and ended up killed. The Gunslingers had a lot to deal with in the Calla and Calvin would have been a major hindrence. He wouldnt have been happy with his books being left in the cave and would have tried to make them take them somewhere maybe?

Although, I think Anjerith hits the nail on the head. Calvin needed to be able to save Callahan and we dont know the chain of events which lead up to him doing this. Rather than ust a last minute decision it could be a whole host of things which lead up to him taking that action which he needed to be in Keystone world to experience.

Letti
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Calvin probably woulndt have gone through the door anyway. Eddie would have had to drag him through resisting all the time and he wouldnt have taken any heed of the dangers in the Calla and ended up killed.

Exactly my first and second thought.

Anyway the question is very good.