PDA

View Full Version : The Running Man **Spoilers**

The Lady of Shadows
07-24-2008, 06:12 PM
i reread this in one sitting in the bookstore two days ago. and can't stop thinking about it. what an amazing story. i can't believe it. i'm pulling out my copy of the bachman books to look up all the references that i personally want to talk about but in the meantime i was wondering what anyone else thought.

did anyone else notice the dark tower references? what about the IT references?

ETA: i did a search and couldn't find a thread about this story so ptb do your thing if there is one already and cry your pardon.

Odetta
07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
I keep thinking how reality shows today aren't really that far away from the shows mentioned in The Running Man.

Jean
07-25-2008, 07:36 AM
which reminds me... I got to finish it at last, there are three or five last pages to go (and have been since last October)

Tony_A
08-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Been years since I read Running Man. All I remember is that I wished I'd read the book before seeing the movie.

Heather19
08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
What's the It reference in it? It's been so long since I read this one, and that was way before I read It so I probably wouldn't have even picked up on it.

DanishCollector
08-20-2008, 02:46 PM
From my memory, there's no It references, only the mention of Derry. To call that a reference or tie-in is vague.

JQ The Gunslinger
08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
i reread this in one sitting in the bookstore two days ago.

Im not a scientist, but isnt this technically wrong to read a book in the store and not buy it then haha. Srry i jsut laughed when i read that sentence.

The Lady of Shadows
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
i reread this in one sitting in the bookstore two days ago.

Im not a scientist, but isnt this technically wrong to read a book in the store and not buy it then haha. Srry i jsut laughed when i read that sentence.

they make fun of me all the time at b&n for coming in, getting some starbucks and reading their books. if they don't want me reading in there, they shouldn't have such damn comfortable chairs! :lol:

and hey, at least i'm reading. the guy sitting two chairs away from me today fell asleep and was snoring his f'n head off for at least 15 minutes. all the people sitting around him were seriously pissed off. i finally coughed really loudly to wake him up - i swear they all applauded. :D besides, i figure i've spent enough money in b&n over the past several years that they owe me a couple of free reads. :wtf:

:orely:

JQ The Gunslinger
08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Haha i was just kiddin. Yea the seats at boarders are super comfy. I cud really spend a day there just reading. And yea i think i deserve a free read too, i have about 50 books upstairs that i got all from boarders :panic:

The Lady of Shadows
08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Haha i was just kiddin. Yea the seats at boarders are super comfy. I cud really spend a day there just reading. And yea i think i deserve a free read too, i have about 50 books upstairs that i got all from boarders :panic:

wait. your borders has chairs? our borders don't have chairs. bastardos! it's like they don't want you to be comfortable there. there are chairs in the so-called-cafe but they are hard and plastic and a bitch to sit in. my husband loves borders cause the car magazines there are better. :wtf: go buy car magazines without me! :lol:

i have to say, i did find zoetrope all story at borders and i didn't think *anybody* carried that. i thought you had to subscribe to it. :excited:

anyway, i'm rereading, yet again, the running man. so that i can find the references i alluded to in my first post.

p.s. i love that you call borders "boarders". i think i'm going to start calling b&n that! :rofl:

JQ The Gunslinger
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Haha makin fun of my Wisconsin education?

The Lady of Shadows
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Haha makin fun of my Wisconsin education?

no, cause i was talking about spending hours in there reading, and then that one guy fell asleep. borders - boarders. get it? :rolleyes:

JQ The Gunslinger
09-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh lol yea, srry im a bit slow ha

SpaceMaN
09-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Way better than the movie. I still think this is how American "reality" TV is going to end up. Kudos to you, Ben Richards!

The Lady of Shadows
09-06-2008, 04:53 PM
so i'm doing another, slower reread of this story and here are some things that tweaked me as dark tower references. or maybe references is the wrong word. it was almost like i kept flashing to the dark tower during the story.

mrs. jenner, the richardson's neighbor when she decides to put sheila on her "list" calls sheila "mrs. smell-so-sweet" and this immediately made me think of cordelia delgado always calling susan "miss oh-so-young-and-pretty" and other such names. just the little bit we see of mrs. jenner reminded me strongly of cordelia.

the way people in authority, or those who feel superior to others, call those below them "maggots". the police guarding the games authority do it, laughlin (the second contestant who's running "with" ben) does it to the "backup" contestant.

evan mccone reminds me very strongly of eldred jonas. i'm still trying to figure out why. or maybe it isn't even jonas, maybe it's really reynolds. but he's definitely a big coffin hunter.

the whole city, the whole world, seems to be on its way to moving on. it's not quite moving on yet, but maybe in another ten years or so it will be. they've become so depend on the "freevee" that they are forgetting the important things and letting everything that matters fall by the wayside. it's almost like it is roland's world, only on another level of the tower.

okay, i'm just babbling now. so that's it.

mae
10-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/episode-33-the-running-man/