PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciations -> Roll-end?

Pages : [1] 2

fernandito
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
When you read certain words, how do they sound off in your mind?

In my head, Gilead is GIL-EE-AD.

What about you guys?

Hannah
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
How does everyone pronounce Gan?

I always did it like it rhymed with can, or man.

Roland and Gilead I pronounce the same way you do, FP.

fernandito
05-23-2007, 01:49 PM
I pronounce Gan like Khan, only with a G obviously.

sarah
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I pronounce Gilead the same as you FP but I always thought I said it wrong. Turns out that Frank Muller, who does audio, says it gill ee ad too. :D

Cuthbert, I pronouce just how it looks but on the audios he says keithbert :shrug:

Hannah
05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
:lol: Keithbert? For some reason that's funny to me.

fernandito
05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I've heard of some people pronouncing Kooyth-Bert

sarah
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
yeah and they're all dumb. :P

my way is the right way :dance:

:lol:

sarajean
05-23-2007, 04:26 PM
i say it cue-th-bert.

cue, like pool cue. or queue.

fernandito
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
What about Depape, Jonas's lackey?

I always pronounce it DE-POW-P

Ruki
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
depape is pronounced d-pape (like paper without the r).

i've always heard cuthbert pronounced sarajean's way, like the little q*bert guy, but with a th thrown in.

Daghain
05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I always thought Cuthbert was with a short 'u' - cuhth-bert.

I say Gilead like FP does too.

ZoNeSeeK
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
De-pap-ey, like canape

Cuth, like cut / cull / cup / cuff

Cuth·bert /ˈkʌθbərt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhth-bert] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Saint, a.d. c635–687, English monk and bishop

(Ive never heard it pronounced with a Q sound before?)

I've always pronounced unknown names in books the same as known words that have a similar structure, unless the author specifies.

Ruki
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
(Ive never heard it pronounced with a Q sound before?)

it's how muller pronounced it in the audiobooks, same with depape.

ZoNeSeeK
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I think muller needs a-slappin!

Ruki
05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
i'm not 100% positive but i think he pronounced stuff the same way king did when he read them.

ZoNeSeeK
05-23-2007, 09:29 PM
One high too many for that dude :)

Darkthoughts
05-24-2007, 03:57 AM
I was never sure whether it was Gil-lead or Gil-ee-ad, there was a name of the same place in The Handmaiden's Tale too (Margaret Attwood) I alternate between the two :D

Roland I pronounce Row-land, and Cuthbert like Cuff but with a th. Mind you, alot of pronounciations change with accents anyway don't they.

Rjeso
05-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Row (as in "row your boat")-land. Gill-ee-ad. Cuhth-bert. Deh-pape. I rhyme Gan with 'can.'

fernandito
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
So I'm the only one who pronounces it GHAN? :(

Brice
05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes, you are alone in that, FP. :(

Hannah
05-24-2007, 07:52 AM

No, Aaron pronounces it that way too.

Matt
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Its Can with a "G" to me.

Most of my pronunciations are strictly based on the audio versions of the books which is another reason why I love them. :wub:

fernandito
05-24-2007, 08:04 AM

Yeaaaah!

[props to Aaron]

She-Oy
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM

That's how I say it too, but then again, I'm from Alabama, so chances are we are WRONG! :lol:

Matt
05-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Is that Ghan like Khan?!?!

KHAN!!! <--pronounced like Captain Kirk?

fernandito
05-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Precisely, Gan like Khan, only with a G, entiendes Mendez'?

She-Oy
05-24-2007, 08:32 AM
that's exactly it, matt!

sarajean
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM

nope. i do, too.

oh, and part of the reason i say it queue-thbert is cos of how sheemie attempts to pronounce it. i figured that was sai king giving us a hint.

sorta like jk rowling finally had to explain how to pronounce hermione.

sarah
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
and how do you all pronouce deschain?

I say Dee Shane

EDIT: Sarajean, I'm pretty sure you're saying Cuthberts name correctly. I listened more intently to Frank Muller this morning and he does say Cue thbert, not keithbert as I first said.

sarajean
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
d'shane.

i leave the e out.

fernandito
05-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I pronounce Deschain the way it's spelled, DES-CHAIN.

Matt
05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
same here but not the hard "chain" on the end.

I agree on Cuthbert--Frank Muller pronounces it pretty much as seen. With the e as in "cuestick"

Baradin
05-24-2007, 03:04 PM
I've always said Deschaine to rhyme with Dufresne. But I'm canadian.

MonteGss
05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I know I pronounce Cuthbert's name incorrectly. Even after listening through the first four books, I still think of it like I read way back when. Like it looks. :)
Old habits die hard.

Rjeso
05-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I've always said Deschaine to rhyme with Dufresne.

Ditto that.

fernandito
05-25-2007, 06:31 AM
I've always said Deschaine to rhyme with Dufresne.

Ditto that.

er....how do you pronounce Dufresne? :lol:

Daghain
05-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Du - frane :D

Matt
05-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Eeek--

Shawshank tie in!!

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Gil-ee-add
Gan like Can
De-pop
and I always said it Kuth-bert, with the first syllable like the word Cuff with a TH.

Fishonabike
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM

No Matt... that would be, KHAAAAAAAAAN!! /Kirk :P

I'm pretty certain in WaG that King writes about Sheemie loving Cuthbert's name and (over) pronouncing it over and over, Kuh-youth-bert. Or close, I don't have WaG here.

Letti
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I am in love with this thread but I will not talk about how I pronounce things... :P

Jean
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I am in love with this thread but I will not talk about how I pronounce things... :P
I wish you would.

I am sure your way would be the sweetest.

Many and many would think of adopting it...

I always pronounce every remotely French-looking word as if it was French (Deschain, Depape, whatever)

Letti
05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
I wish you would.

I am sure your way would be the sweetest.

Many and many would think of adopting it...

I always pronounce every remotely French-looking word as if it was French (Deschain, Depape, whatever)

Yeah... the sweetest... :rolleyes:

Baradin
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
LOL trust me on this Letti, I have made fun and been made fun of some pretty wacky pronunciations.

Avatar for example. Someone whom I shall not name pronounces it Eh-Vate-Arrr. Hehehe and you can bet I have given that poor person no end of grief over it. So worry not you are in good company should you have a wacky and humourous pronunciation.

Letti
05-25-2007, 09:57 AM
You haven't talked a Hungarian speaking English yet I guess.. so..
once when I was talking with Brice on the phone I told him 'avatar' (I don't remember why) and I had to explain it what I meant because he couldn't understand what I was saying. :lol:
Do you remember, Brice?

So.. no.. I am sure my pronunciation would rock your world, Baradin. ;)

Baradin
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Hahahahahahaha. Then I dare, nay DOUBLE Dare you to pronounce something for us : evil grin :

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Hahahahahahaha. Then I dare, nay DOUBLE Dare you to pronounce something for us : evil grin :

LOL oh yesss I bet you do! :P

She-Oy
05-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh man, I've talked to Baradin on the phone and yeah, he does have quite that Canadian accent (think Strange Brew), but while I was laughing at him, he was laughing at my drawl...

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:20 AM
:D Sounds good She-Oy.

Baradin
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Hahah I do NOT have an accent. YOU have the accent she-oy ;)

Bethany
05-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Hahah I do NOT have an accent. YOU have the accent she-oy ;)

I bet she doesn't :thumbsup: . It's ya'll that talk funny.

sarajean
05-27-2007, 07:54 AM

No Matt... that would be, KHAAAAAAAAAN!! /Kirk :P

I'm pretty certain in WaG that King writes about Sheemie loving Cuthbert's name and (over) pronouncing it over and over, Kuh-youth-bert. Or close, I don't have WaG here.

key-yooth-burt

Matt
05-27-2007, 09:29 AM
When I was reading the books I was pronouncing...CUTHbert.

Like cut with a "th" on the end :lol:

sarajean
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
matt, that seems to be the way most people say it.

also...does everyone pronounce alain the french way, or do you say a-lane?

(incidentally: i used to have copies of the paperbacks where he was originally allen, then alan, then finally alain...but i've noticed that all of the recent editions have him as alain all the way through. i kinda thought his name change was a sign of the world moving on. random and off topic. sorry.)

also, how does one pronounce cöos?

Matt
05-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I do coos with the oooo sound between. Just like it looks. Boos with a c :lol:

Alain I have always done as Elaine with an A and no e

Jean
05-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I always pronounced it as if it was German: ö as normal German o with an Umlaut, and the rest as it looks.

Ruki
05-27-2007, 11:52 AM
i pronounce coos like boos too.

alain's name change tripped me out. i never noticed that it changed from allen to alan, i guess those are close enough to the same thing, but that i getting stuck in there made me go back and make sure i was still reading about the same person. i always just went pronounced it like allen anyway till i heard the audiobooks, now i say it like "a land" without the d at the end.

sarajean
05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
I always pronounced it as if it was German: ö as normal German o with an Umlaut, and the rest as it looks.

:lol: that's how i say it, too...until i say it, and receive blank looks.

fernandito
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I pronounce Alain's name as UH-LANE.

Erin
05-28-2007, 03:02 PM

How is this pronounced?

I know zero German.

Fly
05-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes, I wish there had been a pronunciation guide in each book as I probably have many of them wrong. As I speak French, I naturally hear Alain as Ruki said ("a land" without the final d), and Deschain as day-SHAN.

Coos - I took the accent to indicate that the two o's are pronounced separately. "Co" as in coat, and "os" as in moss.

Jean
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM

How is this pronounced?

I know zero German.

like the sound in Möbius (Möbius strip); if it doesn't help, there's a similar (although not the same) sound in French, as in deux; cöos, then, would begin almost like coeur.

sarajean
05-29-2007, 08:51 AM
i was just going to say...it has kind of an "r" sound, but it's faint.

it's a little hard to explain.

sorry, erin.

Erin
05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
That's ok, I actually get it now, I asked my 14 year old cousin who's currently taking German in school to pronounce it correctly for me. :D

Jean
05-29-2007, 10:59 PM
only don't forget you only know how to pronounce German ö, while cöos may have nothing to do with that at all.

Brice
05-30-2007, 06:44 AM
once when I was talking with Brice on the phone I told him 'avatar' (I don't remember why) and I had to explain it what I meant because he couldn't understand what I was saying. :lol:
Do you remember, Brice?
Yes, I do. :D Now, I will have to make our conversation about the dark tower when we speak again just so I can make you say all these words. ;)

Hannah
05-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Do you remember, Brice?

I have a Hungarian/Romanian friend who lives here in the US, she has the sweetest accent I've ever heard. I bet your accent is beautiful, Letti.

Jean
05-30-2007, 06:55 AM
it is, it is! I heard her sing Happy Birthday once, it was delicious. Maybe because the voice was so sweet, too...

Brice
05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Do you remember, Brice?

I have a Hungarian/Romanian friend who lives here in the US, she has the sweetest accent I've ever heard. I bet your accent is beautiful, Letti.

It absolutely is.

Brice
05-30-2007, 07:05 AM
it is, it is! I heard her sing Happy Birthday once, it was delicious. Maybe because the voice was so sweet, too...

I have heard her sing that very song myself. :D

Matt
05-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I wanna hear that!! :lol:

Bethany
06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Since this thread has been sidetracked by talk of accents I would like to say that since discussing To Kill A Mockingbird wit Jean, I think it would be interesting to speak to him. This is probably the first time I've ever wanted someone to hear my accent.

fernandito
06-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Where are you from, Beth?

Bethany
06-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Alabama, home of Harper Lee.

Jean
06-01-2007, 09:30 PM
wow! Oh, it would be great to talk with you Beth! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Mmm....Alabama....a good state from what I've heard. Do we have a voice thread here yet??

Letti
06-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you remember, Brice?

Oh thank you Hannah. And thank you all (Jean, Brice). :rose:
I love speaking in English but when the other can't understand me... I feel I could bump my head to the first wall I meet. :lol:

Anyway I was watching Sin City yesterday and there I could hear how I should pronounce the name Cordelia... oh damn! Mine is not even similar... Damn... :lol:

Letti
06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Do you remember, Brice?
Yes, I do. :D Now, I will have to make our conversation about the dark tower when we speak again just so I can make you say all these words. ;)

You wanna have a cheerful day, am I right? :rolleyes:

:D

fernandito
06-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Do you remember, Brice?

I love speaking in English but when the other can't understand me... I feel I could bump my head to the first wall I meet. :lol:

Anyway I was watching Sin City yesterday and there I could hear how I should pronounce the name Cordelia... oh damn! Mine is not even similar... Damn... :lol:

The 'proper' way to say it is CORE-DEH-LEE-AH, right?

I've always pronounced it CORE-DEE-LEE-UH

Bethany
06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Damn, you all are putting too many syllables in there. Cor D'yah is pretty much how it is said around here, with the Y being more like the double L's in million.

Brice
06-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Do you remember, Brice?

Yes yes, it will be fun. I may have to have you read the whole books to me :D

sarajean
06-03-2007, 07:36 AM
i can't believe bethany hasn't attacked people for calling her beth, yet.

Bethany
06-03-2007, 08:02 AM
i'm giving everyone a 30 day grace period.

sarajean
06-03-2007, 08:12 AM
oh, so...june 19th, they had better watch out?

Bethany
06-03-2007, 12:06 PM
aye, then i come out kicking like ninjas.

alinda
06-03-2007, 01:18 PM
I have always pronounced this name Cor-deal-ya. :unsure:

Do you remember, Brice?

The 'proper' way to say it is CORE-DEH-LEE-AH, right?

I've always pronounced it CORE-DEE-LEE-UH

Bethany
06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I have always pronounced this name Cor-deal-ya.

Yeah, this is closer to what I meant. I told you I suck at phonics/

sai delgado
06-04-2007, 05:52 AM
how do you pronounce sai? i always pronounced it as sigh, but i think i read in one of the books that it isn't right?

Matt
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
In the audio versions it is pronounced exactly that way, which I was glad about because it was always how I said it.

fernandito
06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
I've always pronounced sai as sigh also. What other ways have you hear it pronounced?

Letti
06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Do you remember, Brice?

You are the only one for whom I would do that... :kiss:

Just to torture you. ;) :ninja:

sai delgado
06-04-2007, 03:09 PM
hm, see i always thought that it was sigh but i think its in WaG when Roland says sai, and King writes that he pronounced it as sigh-but king writes it in a way that suggests that its not the way roland normally says it? :lol: im confusing myself now

Frunobulax
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Sai=sigh.
Although my odd accent combo tends to render it otherwise sometimes.

Brice
06-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Do you remember, Brice?
Yes, I do. Now, I will have to make our conversation about the dark tower when we speak again just so I can make you say all these words.

You are the only one for whom I would do that... :kiss:

Just to torture you. ;) :ninja:

Ah, yes...torture. :huglove: :dance:

sarajean
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Sai=sigh.
Although my odd accent combo tends to render it otherwise sometimes.

you're practically my neighbour. don't you know that we don't have accents in southern california? everyone else does. we just talk a little faster.

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
We do talk faster, but there's a slight accent that has carried on my mother's side. It's a leftover from my great-grandmother, who was born and raised in Virginia.

fernandito
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I talk really, really fast, and I have a an accent. Not exactly an ideal combination.

sarajean
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
when i have to talk to people on the phone at work, if they're from the south, they tell me to slow down.

usually with expletives thrown in there for good measure.

also, people expect me to sound like cher horowitz and are surprised when i don't. :rolleyes:

Erin
06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
How do you all pronounce "Mejis"?

Jean
06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
as if it was Spanish, with a [h]

Erin
06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
That's how I do too. I also pronounce the first part as it would be in Spanish with a "May" instead of a "Me" sound. The other day I was talking with a person about the Dark Tower and they pronounced it "Me-Gis".

Jean
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I never usually pronounce anything when I read, but when I was retelling the saga to my mother, I realized that I had to pronounce all those names. I started with Me-Gis, too, and then I thought, aren't they supposed to be Mexicans? and decided on the [h] version. There must be some canon, maybe someone heard Sai King reading those parts?

Erin
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Me too Jean. I just read it without really thinking about how to say what i'm reading. Then it's so difficult sometimes when you have to say it out-loud. I had this problem recently with the Harry Potter books. For some reason when I read "Professor Trewlawney" I wasn't thinking of it as the correct way it should be said. When I was discussing her out-loud with someone I stumbled when I came to her name and actually had to go back to the books and look up the proper way to say her name.

fernandito
06-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, Mejis is Mexico's 'twinner'...so I guess it should be pronounced MEH-HEES

Erin
06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
There, thanks Feverish! Exactly how I say it. I'm bad at spelling out pronounciations.

Matt
06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
The guy reading the Gunslinger is doing the full on "des-chain" pronunciation

Jean
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Me too Jean. I just read it without really thinking about how to say what i'm reading. Then it's so difficult sometimes when you have to say it out-loud. I had this problem recently with the Harry Potter books. For some reason when I read "Professor Trewlawney" I wasn't thinking of it as the correct way it should be said. When I was discussing her out-loud with someone I stumbled when I came to her name and actually had to go back to the books and look up the proper way to say her name.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif That's the only one I always was sure how to pronounce! There's Squire Trelawny in Treasure Island, remember? We here in Russia had about half a dozen movie adaptations of Treasure Island, so I kinda grew up with Squire Trelawny. Even if my way of saying it isn't correct, it would be awfully difficult to change it now...

Bethany
06-13-2007, 03:21 AM
when i have to talk to people on the phone at work, if they're from the south, they tell me to slow down.

usually with expletives thrown in there for good measure.

also, people expect me to sound like cher horowitz and are surprised when i don't. :rolleyes:

I get you just fine. :P

tamez
06-13-2007, 06:01 AM
The guy reading the Gunslinger is doing the full on "des-chain" pronunciation

what the fuck? noooo!
that's why i reallly can't stand to listen to anyone
but King reading that first book in particular.
probably why i haven't delved into the revised edition

There must be some canon, maybe someone heard Sai King reading those parts?

he says it like "mayjis". like the month in spring
feverish is probably right about how the j should sound like an h
but king pronounces it with a hard j sound like a g.

Matt
06-13-2007, 06:14 AM
That's how I have always done it as well. Frank Muller did the "mayjis" too.

She-Oy
06-13-2007, 06:22 AM
How do you all pronounce "Mejis"?

Me-jess. But I'm quite positive that's wrong. I've heard some say May-jess.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
May-hees. As if in Spanish.

Bethany
06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Mees. And I know that's wrong but it's my head.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Mejis=mees? Weird. But it's an alternate pronunciation nonetheless.

Letti
06-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I wish I could hear how you all pronounce the name Roland. :wub: I mean it is such a sexy name to me I am sure it rocks the way you native speakers pronounce it. :wub:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Roll-end.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Although a neighbour of my grandparents in Mexico (a guy from Idaho) pronounces it Rahll-end.

Fly
06-15-2007, 02:05 AM
How is "gilly" pronounced? With a soft or a hard g?

Frunobulax
06-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Jill-ee.

Letti
06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Although a neighbour of my grandparents in Mexico (a guy from Idaho) pronounces it Rahll-end.

I prefer yours, Fruno. :D

sarah
06-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Jill-ee.

That's how i pronouce it too, fruno

Frunobulax
06-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Well, thankya Letti. I prefer Roll-end much much more. It's not as bogged down with this Ah that sounds out of place coming from the letter O.

Frunobulax
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Jill-ee.

Good--I'm not crazy then. :thumbsup:

sarah
06-15-2007, 08:01 AM
well i wouldn't go as far as saying you're not crazy....but yeah we pronouce the word the same.

:P

Jean
06-15-2007, 08:01 AM
I always thought it was a hard [g], like in both other gillies (here (http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/gilly))

Frunobulax
06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Hmm....I thought I read in one of the books that the word was spelled with a J at one time or saw it with a J as the first letter....

fernandito
06-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Jill-ee.

Good--I'm not crazy then. :thumbsup:

Add one more to the ilst.

VolsToTheWall
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I always thought it was a hard [g], like in both other gillies (here (http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/gilly))

Same here.

fernandito
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
cull-lee? :)

Daghain
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
That's how I'd say it. :)

sarah
08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
same here.

and i'm always right.

dur.

sarajean
08-09-2007, 05:10 PM
:rofl:

me, three

dur. ³

MonteGss
08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
gill-ee (like what fish have plus an 'e' sound)

cull-ee

That is sooo funny, cuz I'm always right too. :)

Daghain
08-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree with the gill-ee pronunciation too. :D

fernandito
08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
I pronounce it jill-ee, even though I know it's wrong. :)

Letti
08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
I pronounced it "Dallas" in my head because I prefered it...

Just kidding. :lol:

fernandito
08-10-2007, 10:00 AM
You're weird. :)

sarajean
08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I pronounce it jill-ee, even though I know it's wrong. :)

well, as long as you know that you're always wrong.

fernandito
08-10-2007, 03:07 PM
says the woman with the samurai jack av....does that show still exist?

sarajean
08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
it does on my dvd player.

you got a problem with me?

fernandito
09-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Tall-ih-thu

or

Towel-ih-thu?

(Talitha)

alinda
09-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Ta-leeth-a :unsure:

sarah
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
tal i tha (with a soft i as in 'it')

She-Oy
09-30-2007, 05:46 PM
yup, yup.... I think Maerlyn's right. That's how I say it too, and we are from total opposite sides of the country...LOL, so we must be right...that, and the simple fact that WE are ALWAYS right! hehehe

Darkthoughts
10-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I say it that way too, and I'm British and you know we're always right :lol:

Wuducynn
10-01-2007, 06:45 AM
"Palaver" pul-a-ver. Second 'a' is long. Not "Palla-ver". ;)

Letti
10-01-2007, 07:13 AM
We must open a "voice thread". I wanna hear you guys. :wub:

Wuducynn
10-01-2007, 07:19 AM
I have this high, screechy voice that drives one mad if one was to listen to it for too long.

Storyslinger
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM
*claps hands to ears*
You've said to much

Letti
10-01-2007, 07:23 AM
I have this high, screechy voice that drives one mad if one was to listen to it for too long.

I am sure my dear that you have an incredibly sexy voice.

fernandito
10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Me says Pal-uh-ver.

Wuducynn
10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Me says Pal-uh-ver.

*Drives Feverish mad and then eats him* *slurp* *burp*

Daghain
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Nope, CK is right. I've been pronouncing it wrong, too. :lol:

sarah
10-02-2007, 06:30 AM
yup, yup.... I think Maerlyn's right. That's how I say it too, and we are from total opposite sides of the country...LOL, so we must be right...that, and the simple fact that WE are ALWAYS right! hehehe

you know i just can't hear that enough. LOL!

We must open a "voice thread". I wanna hear you guys. :wub:

good idea, letti. :) If you don't start one today, i'll see what i can do this afternoon.

I'd love to hear everyones accents

and I pronounce it:

pul lav er

Wuducynn
10-02-2007, 06:53 AM
I always knew you were samrt!

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 06:57 AM
pa (like what you'd call your dad) la (with an a as in apple) ver

fernandito
10-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Pal (How ya doing pal?)
La (prounounced lu, as if you were about to say luck but got cut off midway)
Ver (version)

Jean
10-02-2007, 08:18 AM
dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/palaver): pa·lav·er [puh-lav-er, ‑lah-ver]

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Ouch

fernandito
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I'll keep saying it my way. :D

Jean
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 08:24 AM

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Alain - the French way to pronounce it is similar to the English name Alan, but with more emphasis on the "A", like "Aa -lan". However, as far as DT's concerned I've always pronounced it "Al -lane".

fernandito
10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Moi too. :)

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Parce-que tu est tres bon ;)

fernandito
10-02-2007, 09:00 AM
It appears that you...something...three...also?

Close? :)

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
:lol: no "because you are very good"...I would've said it in Spanish...but I can't! "Un bocadilla con queso y jamon por favor" is about the extent of my Spanish :D

fernandito
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes, I am very good. ;)

And uh, sigged. :D

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
:rofl: If I'd known you were doing that, I'd of added "un cerveza" too :lol:

fernandito
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
It's never too late :P

Jean
10-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Et maintenant, chers amis, revenons à nos moutons.

I mean,

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/backtotopic.gif

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
:lol: We've gotten into bad habits while you've been away Brer Bear :huglove:

Jean
10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
bear is back, as vigilant as ever!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/HugsToYouRddBear.gif

...and that is, hopefully, the last off-topic post for some time...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

fernandito
10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
cer-
veh-
zah

Darkthoughts
10-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Sair
vey
Sa

sarajean
10-02-2007, 12:52 PM
dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/palaver): pa·lav·er [puh-lav-er, ‑lah-ver]

i knew i was right.

something good had to come from reading the dictionary when i was a kid.

fernandito
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Why don't you sit down and we can Pal-Lu-Ver this over. :)

Storyslinger
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Alright, lets

*sits*

katiejustkatie
10-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Ooops i seem to pronounce most words ridiculously differently to you guys:blush:. Admittedly i am english though.
i pronounce Roland as Roe-land...or if im being lazy Roe-lund. Palaver ive always pronounced palla-vuh when concerning the dark tower but would say it your way usually like in 'what a palaver'. Oh and id say gilly with a soft g like in monarch of the glen hehe.
Random point but someone on the first page said do you say something like can or like man...how on earth do you pronounce can and man differently?

Jean
10-04-2007, 05:27 AM
hello katiejustkatie; welcome. I think here's what you mean:

How does everyone pronounce Gan?

I always did it like it rhymed with can, or man.

I would say Hannah meant that the two words sounded alike, not different.

katiejustkatie
10-04-2007, 05:38 AM
ah right cheers i was being dim lol

Matt
10-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Hey Katie--welcome to the site.

I think I am about 50% on pronunciations so far. :lol:

Storyslinger
10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm about 51%, I think

wizardsrainbow
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Gil-ee-add
Gan like Can
De-pop
and I always said it Kuth-bert, with the first syllable like the word Cuff with a TH.

Dead on, my friend!

Randall Flagg
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Pal (How ya doing pal?)
Ver (version)

(phttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-lhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifvhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifr, -lähttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifvhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifr)
Go here (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/palaver) and click on the speaker icon.

fernandito
10-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Pal (How ya doing pal?)
Ver (version)

(phttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-lhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.gifvhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifr, -lähttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifvhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gifr)
Go here (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/palaver) and click on the speaker icon.

I'll click on it when I get home Randall, I don't have sound on this shitty ass work computer.

I'm still saying it my way though, regardless :D

Randall Flagg
10-08-2007, 08:41 PM
You say tomato, I say tomaaatoe.:thumbsup:

Wuducynn
10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
You say tomato and I say muffin-ball

Storyslinger
10-09-2007, 07:07 AM
You say tomato, I say 'that red thing with seeds in it'

fernandito
10-09-2007, 07:57 AM
You say tomato, I say tomaaatoe.:thumbsup:

And if I say potato you'll say potaaaatoe? :lol:

Storyslinger
10-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Tomato, tomaatoe
Potato, potaatoe

"Lets call the whole thing off"

sarah
01-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm rereading Wolves of the Calla right now and SK makes mention of the different sounds of Callahan and Calla. I say them both the same, soft a.

To The Dark Tower Came
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm rereading Wolves of the Calla right now and SK makes mention of the different sounds of Callahan and Calla. I say them both the same, soft a.

In the audiobooks it's Cal (like Cal-tech) uh han, but Calla is pronounced Call (like a phone call) uh.

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:55 PM

In the audiobooks it's Cal (like Cal-tech) uh han, but Calla is pronounced Call (like a phone call) uh.

except where eddie and callahan both make the "calla/callahan" observation. in those instances it's read as if the characters are making the same sound for each "calla" [as in cal-tech]

Letti
01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Whenever I come here I feel so little... :D

Brice
01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't...because I know my pronouciations are correct. Anyone who disagrees (including King) is clearly mistaken and possibly delusional.

ATG
01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
i say it cue-th-bert.

Ditto.

Letti
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't...because I know my pronouciations are correct. Anyone who disagrees (including King) is clearly mistaken and possibly delusional.

*hugs you*

MonteGss
01-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Agreed. I'm right, you all are wrong. Live with it. :D
Seriously though, I know I pronounce things incorrectly but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I will always say Cuth-bert instead of Cue-thbert.
*shrugs*

alinda
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Roll end, and Cuth bert ......

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
i say it cue-th-bert.

Ditto.

Double ditto :harrier:

Jean
01-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Seriously though, I know I pronounce things incorrectly but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I will always say Cuth-bert instead of Cue-thbert.
*shrugs*
well (if the opinion of someone who is neither a native English speaker nor even a human counts), so do I.

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 04:34 PM
i thought somewhere in the book they say how to pronounce Cuthburt..like I think Roland describes Sheemie saying it or something, and it's like kyooth-bert

and I pronounce Gilead like gill-yid, rolling the ea together, and Gan like can/man/pan

jayson
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
[
I will always say Cuth-bert instead of Cue-thbert.
*shrugs*

And you'll always be wrong. :lol: good to see you back monte!

MonteGss
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Whatev. Apparently you didn't read the rest of my post. I AM CORRECT! :lol:

Glad to be back....just call me Cuth-bert. ;)

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Monte? did I perhaps know you back at DT.net? IR's the name sai.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 05:42 PM
And just call Monte Cuthbert. Pronounced "Quethbert" of course.

Daghain
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Agreed. I'm right, you all are wrong. Live with it. :D
*shrugs*

And this is why I love you. :wub:

fernandito
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Jonas.

Joe-Nis?

MonteGss
01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Joe-nus

Letti
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
How do you pronounce Sheemie?

fernandito
01-28-2008, 11:46 PM
In my mind I've always pronounced it

Sheh-Me.

Letti
01-28-2008, 11:55 PM
And do your pronounce that H? I know it's a stupid question.

fernandito
01-29-2008, 12:05 AM
It's as if I wanted to say shell but got too lazy 3/5's of the way. :)

Letti
01-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Thank you, fp. :)

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I say it like on the audiobooks:
She Me

jayson
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
same here monte

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Of course, great minds think alike. Well, at least you kinda think like my great mind. :lol:

Wuducynn
01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
How do you pronounce Sheemie?

Antidistestablishment-terrianism.

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Me too.

Wuducynn
01-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, at least you kinda think like my great mind. :lol:

Its simply not possible to even come close to your genius, Monte. Its like trying to drink up the sea.

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Daghain
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm with Monte on Jonas and Sheemie. Another great mind at work. :lol:

Mist_on_the_Water
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
this has nothing to do with DT but my dad can say the alphabet as though it were a word..it's quite difficult...can any of you? I'll even provide it to read, makes it easier X3

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

sarah
02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Finli and Pimli?

Finn lee and pim lee?

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 09:08 AM
That is how I pronounced them because that is what I heard on the audios. :)

Storyslinger
02-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Right, thats how I heard them, so now its stuck inmy head.

sarah
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
ah. thanks. I haven't listened to books 5-7 on audio yet. I actually have book 6 on audio on my desk right now but I'm in the middle of reading 7 right now and I can't go back to six until seven is finished.

fernandito
04-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Quickly!

Mare-lin?

Mur-lin?

MonteGss
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
The first version.

sarah
04-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I say it the first way as well.

I say it with a double L

maerl lyn

fernandito
04-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Yeah, that's the way I say it too, and NOT the 2nd way.

:unsure:

sarah
04-27-2008, 06:42 AM
;)

:couple:

Wuducynn
04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I've always said it "mare-lyn", like its been pronounced by King, and Muller in the audio versions of the books.

fernandito
04-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Have you guys seen Disney's Sword in the Stone? Arthur (Eld ;)) pronounces it Mur-Lin.

Wuducynn
04-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Yeah, and thats because its spelled "Merlin", in most places.

fernandito
04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Ah, touche'!

Letti
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
How did you pronounce skölpadda? It's not an English word, that's why I am interested in it.

fernandito
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Me?

I pronounce it

Skull-pah-dah

Wuducynn
04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I pronounce it "shohl-pahda"

alinda
04-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Like... school with only 1 o + padda. ( rhymes with Faddah)

MonteGss
04-28-2008, 05:55 PM

This seems pretty much like it is pronounced in the audio version of the book. That is how I say it as well. :)

Wuducynn
04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I also think thats the way its pronounced by Swedes.

Unfound One
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I've always (attempted to) pronounce it using the German umlaut (place your tongue in a position to pronounce the letter E, but shape your mouth to sound a normal O)...
It IS difficult to say that way though, I like shohl-padda better.

Wuducynn
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
What other positions would you like my tongue to be in, Unfound?

Unfound One
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh, you know... :rolleyes:

sarah
04-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Me?

I pronounce it

Skull-pah-dah

that's how I say it too. :wub:

jayson
04-29-2008, 06:45 AM

same here

Girlystevedave
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
What other positions would you like my tongue to be in, Unfound?

I nominate the Off position.

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 01:51 PM