PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Non-King Audio Books

Rider_of_Discordia
07-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Audio Adaptations of books seem very hit and miss ... A fantastic book can be ruined by a lack lustre reading and an average book can be amazing thanks to inspired performance. I used to commute 3 hours a day, and got through a truly huge amount of audio books in my car ...

My favourite one (that got replayed more than anything else by a long margin...) was THIEF OF ALWAYS by Clive Barker read by John Glover. It helps that the book is great. Its Clive Barker's only "children's book" ... but don't let that put you off. First rate story and top notch characters. Add to that the frankly fantastic talent of John Glover (probably best known at the moment as TV's Lionel Luthor in SMALLVILLE!) He brings the book to vivid life, his take on the characters is brilliant. Would love to hear him read the Dark Tower books!

Anyone else got any recomendations?

The Lady of Shadows
07-22-2008, 12:12 AM
woohoo. give me a new book thread any day of the week. i am a fiend for audio books. absolutely love them. get them from audible.com as well as podiobooks.com (they're free there but you have the godawful wait between chapters - but it's worth it, i've found some real treasures there!).

well, as a start i'd have to say (and these are in no particular order):

life of pi by yann martel, read by jeff woodman

magic street by orson scott card, read by mirron e. willis

night by elie wiesel, read by george guidall

a good and happy child by justin evans, read by mark deakins

all of the dexter books by jeff lindsay, read by nick landrum

i am legend by richard matheson, read by robertson dean

in the woods by tana french, read by steven crossley

sharp object by gillian flynn, read by ann marie lee

the cloud of unknowing by thomas h. cook, read by stephen hoye

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark haddon, read by jeff woodman

the lovely bones by alice sebold, read by alice sebold