PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Tassenbaum *DT7 spoilers*

Letti
07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
This lady deserves a thread and it would be great to know how you saw her.

How did you like her? Why did she do what she did?
For my part I did love her and it was hard to say goodbye for her. I wish I knew how her life went on after saying goodbye to Roland. What could she say to her husband when she got home..?
I don't think she could continue her ordinary life.

mia/susannah
07-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I liked Mrs Tassenbaum. It was great the way she helped Roland. I don't know how she could have went on with her life afterward or what she could possibly tell her husband. I like to think that she had a good life though

Letti
07-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Do you think she divorced later?

Brice
07-15-2008, 03:52 AM
I think mabe it would be difficult for her to continue her ordinary life. Maybe she started anew. Though there is a point where your mind becomes oversaturated, so maybe she just forgot it all. Maybe she had to.

Letti
07-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Oh no! No way! She couldn't have forgotten it. :)

ManOfWesternesse
07-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Mrs T. was great.

...maybe she left her husband and found her way to a role in the Tet Corp?

Letti
07-15-2008, 03:59 AM
I really can't imagine that she stayed with her husband. She needed to start a new life.
You know when I was reading about her I always felt that she had been waiting for something like that (for some kind of unique, burning and life-shocking event) all in her life.
She got it.

Brice
07-15-2008, 03:59 AM

Oh, yeah? Maybe her mind forgot, but her heart remembered?

Letti
07-15-2008, 04:08 AM

Why do you think she forgot it at all?
I know in King's books it can happen any time :rolleyes: but anyway normally people do remember things even if they were shocking. Yeah, we forget some parts and our mind is able to rewrite lots of things in our memory with the time being BUT to forget something as if it had never happened... that's something really rare and hard.
So why should she have forgotten? I am all ears. :)

Brice
07-15-2008, 04:16 AM

Why do you think she forgot it at all?
I know in King's books it can happen any time :rolleyes: but anyway normally people do remember things even if they were shocking. Yeah, we forget some parts and our mind is able to rewrite lots of things in our memory with the time being BUT to forget something as if it had never happened... that's something really rare and hard.
So why should she have forgotten? I am all ears. :)

Give me a little time? I'm not very far from this now, so I'll read it again and get back to the question. :)

Letti
07-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Okay. I cannot wait.

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Cheating on her husband gave me mixed feelings about her. Many times when King writes about adultery, he seems to justify it. I had similar feelings in IT:

When Bill slept with Beverly. It was hard for me to admire him when the story closed with him riding his bike and trying to wake his wife from her catatonic state.

I get that Roland presented an escape, something exotic, but it doesn't make it right. What if she kept looking for those types of experiences and basically became some kind of whore for all the local walk-ins?

Empath of the White
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
What if she kept looking for those types of experiences and basically became some kind of whore for all the local walk-ins?

Does that include the Rods and taheen? :beat:

Interesting question. I wonder if perhaps her hubbie's affiliation with Positronics might not cause some discord later on in their marriage.

Brice
07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
What if she kept looking for those types of experiences and basically became some kind of whore for all the local walk-ins?

An interdimensional hooker. :lol:

Jean
07-26-2008, 09:29 PM

very funny indeed, especially if you specified what "those types" you mean. Are many rolands around?

obscurejude
07-27-2008, 07:48 PM

very funny indeed, especially if you specified what "those types" you mean. Are many rolands around?

I thought it was pretty clear, Jean. By "those types" I mean whatever aspects of Roland's otherworldliness that made her cheat on her husband.

Jean
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I guessed as much. My point (also clear?) is that she wasn't attracted by any features or aspects, but by Roland as a unique human being.

obscurejude
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I guessed as much. My point (also clear?) is that she wasn't attracted by any features or aspects, but by Roland as a unique human being.

Either way, I still think of her as a whore and I consider it paradoxical if by Roland, you are pointing to his integrity, when she displays a complete lack thereof. Also, I reread this about a month ago and it was Roland's otherworldliness she seemed most attracted to and little else. I mean, they hardly said two sentences to each other. Also, counter to what you said, there is repeated references to Roland's blue bombardiers eyes and how she wanted to fuck his brains out. What exactly is your point, because it isn't clear to me.

Darkthoughts
07-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Wow, harsh judgement on Mrs T there!

I wouldn't call her a whore by any stretch of the imagination. I agree with Jean that she was uniquely attracted to Roland.

In Irene's case, I think she was a deeply disatisfied lady - but within her own sheltered and ordered life, an opportunity never arose for her to express it.
She ended up sleeping with Roland partly through desire but more because of the unreality of the situation - it was as if it wasn't really her, the married Irene Tassenbaum, it was an Irene that she could have been.

I can justify what she did, is what I'm saying. I don't think relationships are ever that straightforward that all infidelity can be instantly struck off as "bad behaviour".

It might not necessarily have spelt the end of her marriage. It might have given her the motivation to return to it with a more assertive view on what she wanted from her relationahip with her husband - her experience might have enabled her to rekindle the passion and spontaenity(sp?) between them.

obscurejude
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Its a harsh view in a society that doesn't honor marriage anymore. I hope she told her husband and I hope he cut her off, financially and otherwise.

jayson
07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
If she were honest enough to tell her husband, perhaps he could be compassionate enough to forgive her.

obscurejude
07-29-2008, 01:09 PM
If she were honest enough to tell her husband, perhaps he could be compassionate enough to forgive her.

Hopefully, but forgiveness doesn't mean the absence of consequence.

jayson
07-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Of course not, but the consequence doesn't have to be the dissolution of the marriage.

obscurejude
07-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Of course not, but the consequence doesn't have to be the dissolution of the marriage.

No it doesn't, you're right. That's why I spoke subjectively. It is my opinion on the matter and my impression of Mrs. T. I felt similarly about her and the situation as I did Bill and Beverly in IT. I hated that King threw that into IT, because I had already spent several hundred pages really digging Bill. It was really hard for me to latch onto that epilogue, it just seemed so out of place to me. Part of the reason for the tone of my posts is that the thread was presented as a love fest for Mrs T. For me, adultery, is the giant pink elephant and I don't think it should be ignored.

Let this be the last word on the matter if that's cool. I don't want to start arguing about marriage and adultery and etc... I thought about erasing my post, but it would make a few others seem out of place.

I'm not going to apologize for believing adultery is wrong and anything but "justified," but I don't want to argue it anymore.

The Lady of Shadows
07-29-2008, 03:25 PM
this has nothing to do with adultery or anything like that.

i just thought that she was also offering the only kind of comfort that she thought roland would take after his loss. sometimes sex is a kind of comfort - especially for someone like roland i think.

Matt
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree with that. It would be the same as having sex with someone in the middle of a disaster. Comfort in the storm and all that.

Poor thing was being exposed to other worlds, this man represented a break in every single thing she ever knew to be real. I think it was a natural reaction.

If Dora came home from that, told me what happened...I would have understood.

Tony_A
07-30-2008, 05:28 AM
I loved Mrs. Tassenbaum's role in the story. Why did she help Roland? Well, she was drawn to him, and she and her husband DID purchase John Cullum's house. After all, Ka is like a wheel.

Darkthoughts
07-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Part of the reason for the tone of my posts is that the thread was presented as a love fest for Mrs T. For me, adultery, is the giant pink elephant and I don't think it should be ignored.
I don't think it should be ignored either - it indicates a problem in the marriage if one partner is being unfaithful. Where I disagree is that, the person having the affair isn't necessarily the only one at fault.

Let this be the last word on the matter if that's cool. I don't want to start arguing about marriage and adultery and etc... I thought about erasing my post, but it would make a few others seem out of place.
Why would you erase your post? It's relevant to the topic and has generated discussion.
There's also no need for the discussion not to continue, it's a valid reason for disliking Irene - but it's up for dissection like anything else posted in a public forum.

I'm not going to apologize for believing adultery is wrong and anything but "justified," but I don't want to argue it anymore.
You puzzle me sometimes. I don't want an apology, I just don't agree with your opinion and worded mine as strongly as you did yours. But we're discussing a fictional character in a fictional situation - why take it so personally?

theBeamisHome
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
I liked Irene too. I found it a little unsettling that she wanted to bone Roland so bad, but I think it was the unreality of the situation. I imagine she probably wasn't very happy, but I don't think people always cheat because they're unhappy.

I agree with OJ about the Bill and Beverly thing in It, but I also believed that it was real. I think that would have happened in real life even though Bill and his wife were happy together. But it did upset me because Audrey loved Bill so much.

Darkthoughts
07-31-2008, 03:14 AM
I don't think people always cheat because they're unhappy.
It's not always unhappiness, but it's indicative of some problem in the relationship (or existing problems/issues with the person being unfaithful).

I don't think anyone does it just to be a wanker ;)

Tony_A
07-31-2008, 06:40 AM
I don't think people always cheat because they're unhappy.
It's not always unhappiness, but it's indicative of some problem in the relationship (or existing problems/issues with the person being unfaithful).

I don't think anyone does it just to be a wanker ;)

Except maybe for Ed Furillo in "City Slickers" when he was asking Mitch if he'd have sex with a woman if there was no chance that nobody else would ever find out.

Wuducynn
07-31-2008, 06:52 AM
:lol: Good on Tony for chiming in with the most random movie reference! :harrier:

Brainslinger
08-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I thought Mrs Tassenbaum was an interesting quirky character. I also disagree with her affair with Roland though. I understand why she did it, it just wasn't right. I wouldn't class her as a whore though. If she is, then Roland is too. He was the one who actually initiated it because "he felt she wanted him to." He didn't even really want to, grieving Jake, but he did it anyway.

Wuducynn
08-05-2008, 07:14 AM
She may have been wrong, but I like the idea of a frustrated housewife climbing onto Roland's hard cock and screaming in pleasure as she rides him in desperation because she doesn't know what will happen the next day and she knows shes being bad and part of her likes that badness.

theBeamisHome
08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
:drool:

jayson
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I think what Matthew meant to say was...

I like the idea of a frustrated housewife climbing onto Roland's hard cock and screaming in pleasure.

theBeamisHome
08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
:rofl:

omg

:ducks: :scared:

Wuducynn
08-05-2008, 10:28 AM

I like the idea of a frustrated housewife climbing onto Roland's hard cock and screaming in pleasure.

I never knew until now that I was such a prominant part of you're fantasies, Jayson. I'm flattered.

jayson
08-05-2008, 10:46 AM

I never knew until now that I was such a prominant part of you're fantasies, Jayson. I'm flattered.

You know you're my hero in all aspects Matthew

Darkthoughts
08-05-2008, 11:32 AM
:lol:

Babymordred121
08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I disliked Mrs. Tassenbaum. She seemed to just unnecessarily slow down the plot even more during an already slow part of the book.

Letti
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
She may have been wrong, but I like the idea of a frustrated housewife climbing onto Roland's hard cock and screaming in pleasure as she rides him in desperation because she doesn't know what will happen the next day and she knows shes being bad and part of her likes that badness.

I wouldn't like to get into this part of this topic too much but I imagined their love-making very peaceful and quiet.