PDA

View Full Version : Song of Susannah Q&A *spoilers

sarah
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
The first time I read Song of Susannah I just had my second baby. I was living in this small apartment and giddy with anticipation. I would nurse and read nurse and read at at the end of it all I cried and cried. I remember my hubby had taken my older child to the park for a bit so I could finish up and when it was over I was crying. I loved it. That was the first read. The second time I read Song of Susannah was about five minutes after I read it the first time. I had a different perspective. I liked it but didn't love it. I tell you what that fight scene at the gas station just about made my day!

What was your favorite moment of this book?

What bugged you about this book?

What would you change about Song of Susannah?

If you voted for the gas station, what stood out the most for you?

Did you embrace the turtle skolpadda?

The first time you read Song of Susannah, what was your first thought?

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why?

oh and fuck gretta shaw!

Jean
07-10-2008, 11:46 PM

lots! but if I have to name just one, it's Jake, Oy and Callahan in New York, getting that key and then the ball from the hotel room. (yes, and their first moment in New York, too, and rev.Harrigan, and Gas Station, and SK himself, I absolutely love all of that, but the one I mentioned is my personal favorite)

Pages From a Writer's Journal. It was as lackluster and tendentious as everything Mr.King writes outside fiction (which, of course, makes it a great literary achievement - he perfectly imitated his own non-fiction style there)

I would exclude Pages From a Writer's Journal altogether, leaving only a few necessary hints, but omitting direct quotes.

how John Cullum appeared and acted, and everything about him

What was an eye opening moment for you?

excuse me? I didn't quite get what you mean

no, not quite, although I loved the scene with "second assistant to the Swedish Ambassador"

It's already the second question I don't quite understand.

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why?

Immediately after The Wolves, on the same level as The Drawing and The Waste Lands; then comes the last volume, and then, after a Big Gap, volumes 1 and 4.

sarah
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
What was an eye opening moment for you?

excuse me? I didn't quite get what you mean

Hmmm, I'll edit out that question, Jean. I just meant an "ah Ha!" moment where the some of the mysteries of the Tower were unveiled and was it a surprise or had you already figured it out.

obscurejude
07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
When it finally ended.

Stephen King's presence, Susannah, and why the fuck there's a song with lame rhyming.

Hmmm... Not a thing. :D

Eddie was true, even when he was barely conscious.

Seemed like yet another unnecessary "god machine" for me.

This is the worst artwork I've ever seen.

At the very, very end. If I was on a deserted island and could have either Song of Susannah, or any of the other books written in mandarin chinese, I'd choose the latter.

Brice
07-12-2008, 05:40 AM
At the very, very end. If I was on a deserted island and could have either Song of Susannah, or any of the other books written in mandarin chinese, I'd choose the latter.

Just please PLEASE tell me you'd choose it rather than ANY Jane Austen book. :lol:

jayson
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
This is the worst artwork I've ever seen.

Well that answers that one for me as well. I even preferred the ultra-abstract artwork from W&G with the giant-headed Susan to the art in S.o.S.

-------

As for the rest of the questions...

Jake pulling the gun on the cab driver.

Again, I agree with Ryan. The commala-verse song annoyed the crap out of me.

I'd lose the above-mentioned "rhyme"

I didn't vote for the gas station, but can I still answer? I liked how quickly Cullum got with the program and helped them out.

It was a bit heavy-handed of King, but I liked it's effect on the Swede and the Hotel Desk Clerk.

Last, but I don't hate it or anything. I just like the others better.

obscurejude
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Just please PLEASE tell me you'd choose it rather than ANY Jane Austen book. :lol:

I've never really read Jane Austen, nor will I ever, because you've convinced me she's the worst writer in history. :lol:

Tiffany
07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
The fight scene was awesome but two things that stand out in my mind the strongest are Jake going into a rage at the cabbie, demanding an apology and Pere giving Jake his last rights before going into the Dixie Pig.

I wasn't fond of the Writer's Journal but I think what bugged me most was that so much of the novel was about Susannah and Mia. I know, I know...it's called Song of Susannah so naturally her part of the story would be foremost but so much of it seemed to drag on. And I just really didn't like Mia.

Nothing too major, I guess. Wasn't fond of the art in it, either.

I didn't vote for it the second time around but it was John Collum keeping his cool. I liked Roland's address to Andolini, too.

I suppose I did. I remember feeling a bit sad when it was lost later in the story.

"I love Detta in this book!"

I don't hate it but like I've already said, I don't care much for Mia and while reading the chunks with her and Susannah I kept thinking, "Get on with it already." Like R_of_G, I just like the other better.

Brainslinger
07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I quite liked the artwork, some of it anyway. As for that freaky picture of Susannah, it gave me a chill but I liked it. Beautiful and hideous all at once, a good illustration of her fractured nature. The art was good in my opinion although I can understand why many wouldn't like it. It was certainly disturbing.

I find this difficult as there is a lot I like, but I think the scenes with Susannah and Mia, particularly the scenes when they palaver on the castle wall. This was the first time we learn some of the underlying mythology of the book, The Tower, the prim, and the greater Discordia, as well as answering certain questions concerning Susannah/Mia's pregnancy.

If I can choose a second (but not necessarily lesser) moment it would be the scenes involving Callahan and Jake. Not so much Jake's actions with the taxi driver but the Black 13 stuff and the lead in to the Dixie Pig was great.

Not a lot, but I'd have liked to have had more explanation as to the connection between Toren and Deschain families. We never got much explanation except that Calvin Tower was a kind of guardian of the rose.

What I described in the 'bugged' section above.

I didn't vote for this, but I agree it was a great scene. Just the whole action was interesting and the new character and his reaction was great.

Yes. I accept it, since it originated in the bowling ball bag found near the rose. It makes sense to me that something with a will and intelligence like the Tower or Beam could produce tools to aid our ka-tet in their journey. If it had just turned up like the letter in Calvin's safe or the key and note in the envelope King sent Jake, (I'm not a fan of the Writer acting directlly in that way, albeit I accept his presence in this tale) I'd be less sure.

Oh, and the scene in the park was amusing. And the receptionist and her gift of prophesy gave me goosebumps.

I can't remember, as it was a while ago. Probably that I couldn't wait for the next book to resolve the cliff-hanger. Not that I think leaving it on a cliff-hanger was a bad thing as some people seem to. It wasn't like we had to wait long for DT 7.

Apart from that I remember thinking how it was such a different change of pace to the previous book, quite a ride.

Quite high up for me, although I'm not sure exactly where in relation to the other books.

mia/susannah
07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Let's see. Jake, oy and Callahan in New York, getting the key, the ball. I also liked the scenes of Mia and Susannah talking to each other at the castle

The writers journal and the commala song. Don't really know why

I would not change anything about the book

The way Eddie fought even though he was half conscious and that John Collum stood up with Roland and Eddie during the fight

yes, for the most part

I could not wait for the next book. I love Song of Susannah

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why? I cannot say that I have a favorite book in the series. I love them all. I love mia and susannah and detta for that matter. I love the whole concept of the series

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 06:02 PM
jake, oy, and the pere fighting in the dixie pig; jake going off on the cabbie

hmmmm. probably the journal at the end of it. it felt very contrived to me.

i'd remove the journal.

i didn't vote for the gas station (please don't throw things at me) but what stood out for me was john cullum being so cool through it all. he seemed to me the quintessential mainer - just taking it all in stride you know?

i loved the skoldpadda. just loved him. he represented all that was good and proper in the world. i was in the hospital when i was reading this and my husband brought me a stuffed turtle to keep me company and i named him the skoldpadda. i think the idea of a talismanic object that can make people happy this way is wonderful. one that has power, that can be used for good, that can make people feel happy by it's mere presence. aaaaah.

i hated this book the first time i read it. i slogged through it thinking "i just have to get through this so that when the next one comes out i can read it". same each reread. until this time, now it's moved up to third from the bottom.

the dark tower; the waste land; the drawing of the three; wolves of the calla; song of susannah; the gunslinger; wizard and glass

oh and fuck gretta shaw!
oh and back away from greta shaw you greta haters!

obscurejude
07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't hate Greta. That's too light of a word. I loathe that bitch. :D

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
really? hmmmm. and here i thought she was your favorite character in all of the books combined. really ryan. you ought to learn to make your positions a little clearer. :lol:

obscurejude
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM
really? hmmmm. and here i thought she was your favorite character in all of the books combined. really ryan. you ought to learn to make your positions a little clearer. :lol:

I'll try turtlesong. I'm not known for my oratory.

:runs to find Virgil:

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM

I'll try turtlesong. I'm not known for my oratory.

:runs to find Virgil:

:rofl:

Woofer
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Gas Station hands down.

3 things: 1) baby storyline (babies aren't my bag, baby); 2) commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop; and 3) Pages From a Writer's Journal.

Well obviously taking the baby storyline out is not an option, so I would drop the song and, as Jean suggested, change the Writer's Journal portion to a summary.

"The truck slid by with a majestic lack of speed." Man, everything about that scene was beautiful and reminded me why I fell in love with King's writing in the first place. Also, it's where we meet the awesome John Cullum.

no, not quite, although I loved the scene with "second assistant to the Swedish Ambassador"

I agree wholeheartedly. The second assitant was a great miniscule part.

Where's book 7? Seriously. When King announced the last three were definitely being released, I was ecstatic. However, I waited until they were all out before I bought one because I knew I would go crazy otherwise.

Well, it's hard for me to rank them as they move around favorite-wise depending on my mood. The only thing that is a constant is that W&G is always last.

ETA: This is my 500th post. w00t!

The Lady of Shadows
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
<snip>
2) commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop
<snip>

:rofl:

and congrats on 500 posts!

Jean
07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
<...> commala come pop, please make the rhyming stop
<...>
"The truck slid by with a majestic lack of speed."
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Tony_A
07-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Jake and the cabbie & the gunfight at the gas station

The rhyming and the whole stanza thing. It was a bit jarring since the other 6 books were pretty much constructed the same way.

First the rhyming, then I'd try to see if I could re-structure the stanzas into parts and chapters, but then again, I'm not a writer.

The sense of deja-vu with seeing Andolini again, and John Cullum's role. He sure had a lot of Red Sox memorabilia.

I didn't mind it so much.

I was struck how King really didn't like Roland all that much.

I don't like these questions. I like the entire series. Sure, one book HAS to be the "worst" of the bunch. That's like asking me who is my least favorite Oriole in the Hall of Fame? If I had to answer that one, I'd probably go with Jim Palmer just because of his enormous ego.

BillyxRansom
09-29-2008, 01:57 PM

I've never really read Jane Austen, nor will I ever, because you've convinced me she's the worst writer in history. :lol:

Jane Austen, I think, is the reason the YA genre exists.

Whitey Appleseed
01-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Hard to pick just one. Mia and Susannah on the allure, both times, was good because Mia spoke about the Beams. Explained a bit about the mythology of the seven books.

Not much until I read some of the questions here (in the Baronies/SOS) and my brain has since become boggled. Maybe that bit about "Henry was in the Nam" cause it doesn't seem to jive with their ages and what they were doing in 1977, when Henry is confused about who is president, Carter, I think the story said.

Perhaps I'd try to explain better how Balazar knew where to be, when to be.

I guess I kinda voted for the gas station, or did I? The truck as a Lost Beast of the Eld...interesting image...John Cullum.

First time or two through, yeah, works for me. Still does, I guess.

What happens next!

I admire anyone who can string words together and tell a tale. Every book in the series has been a joy to read, and read again. I've had a range of emotions throughout each read and though I've numbered "anger" and "disappointment" among them, it's hard to pick a favorite or a least favorite. There's some parts that are incredible, fascinating, pure joy to read. The disappointments are minor and I don't think any of them were visible on the first pass.

Mad Man
01-16-2009, 08:39 AM
The ambush part :P

Stephen King as character.

Hmmm i can't say that i'd just take out the King's role there because it would change everything (perhaps for the better). So i'd change nothing

I didn't mind it at all. It was there but i didn't see anything in it

1) Why did King write about himself
2) I want the next book

Last.
Can't even be compared with other DT books.

Django
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Roland and Eddie in Maine.

I was afraid how he'll handle his own appearance in it, but he pulled it off.

I'm not here to change anything.

John Cullum.

Sure, yeah.

Good thing I bought the last two books together.

The lower portion of the scale.

:cowboy:

Anastasia
03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Roland and Eddie meeting SK
Susannah and Mia’s talks in Discordia and Fedic
Scenes in Susannah’s Dogan and how she used visualization
The use of skolpadda and the effect it had on people
And am I the only one who quite liked all that short commala songs?:rolleyes:

Well, I guess the fact that in general book was about nothing; there was almost no action at all. There was just Susannah and all other people leaving in her head.
Also I didn’t like that it turned out that Roland is the father of Mordred. And the way Jake behaved towards the taxi driver. Oh, and how could Calvin Tower be so stubborn? That was a bit irritating...

Jean
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, I guess the fact that in general book was about nothing; there was almost no action at all.
That's precisely why bears love it so much.

Bumbler19
03-03-2009, 12:48 AM
All Parts where Jake was a Bad-A** and Oy as well... Except when Oy almost died... I got really Angry... but it was still my favorite... its just good story

The Ka-Tet was never all together... almost always separated. I still think it was done well, but it just bummed me out they were never really together... The Always separated and going over each individual story arch separately kind of reminded me of a sitcom (in a bad way). Each main character always has a little side episode whenever they are apart from the main cast... and then it has to go over what the others did.... Seinfeld is a good example... or The Simpsons is a really good one..

What would you change about Song of Susannah? More parts of them Together!

Did you embrace the turtle skolpadda? Yes... I didn't like how it entered the story though... In the Bowling Bag? cmon... But yes, I embraces its existence and its effects

The first time you read Song of Susannah, what was your first thought? "I need to eat sometime" I barely ate or slept while reading this... no but really I liked it

This isn't the most favorite book of the series...Where does it place for you and why? Probably 4th... (really?! i thought i liked it more than that) but when I think about Book 1, 4, and 5, I guess that is where it goes...

Letti
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Did you embrace the turtle skolpadda? Yes... I didn't like how it entered the story though... In the Bowling Bag? cmon... But yes, I embraces its existence and its effects.

Hey, maybe people should check their bowling bags with much more attention. ;)

Okay, just kidding.

candy
06-13-2009, 05:42 AM
i was going to put the gas station, but i see that is further down, so i am going to say when jake and oy first enter NY and oy almost gets run over and jake gets all gunslinger in the middle of NY (you just so would love to do that on some days)

a few things, SK being in there and being a 'god' but understand that without that its a different story, but it just didnt sit right with me

not a lot as to change anything you change the whole story arc, i would i think move the notes from a writer thingy

well, where do i start. eddie was ace, fighting while injured
john cullum was also brilliant and i knew he would come back
the whole scene to me was very well written and placed you right in the thick of it

no - big fat cheat come to mind. and then it just bloody disappeared

erm, its so long ago and i have reread it so many times, i think i was a little disappointed with the whole SK involvement and the Mia thing. Also i didnt rate pere on the first read either

harsh question, but i would say is 4th? although is changes on each reread.

AcidBumbler
06-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I liked the Commala rhyme (but I still found that "Commala-come-pop" piss-take funny :thumbsup:).
The actual favourite would have to be either the gas-station or the bit where Roland and Eddie meet sai King, though. Easily. I liked it that he put himself in there.

Mia. I didn't have any issues with Susannah's double personality coming back at first but she just got boring about half-way through the book. I know she's essential to the story, but... :doh:

Oh, and TOWER. He. Does. My. Head. In. :pullhair:

Mia's irritating, needy personality. And the fact that it mentions her 'beauty' several times throughout. We got the point after the first time.
OH and Detta would have wrung Mia's neck.
I like Detta.

John being almost as calm as Roland himself.

Yeah, why not?
I didn't take a whole lot of notice of its presence, really. Just accepted it as a part of the plot. Always useful to have a hypnotic turtle to hand, I'm sure.

"I wonder if the baby eats Susannah"
and
"I want a billy-bumbler more now :angry:"

Definitely not my favourite. I think this one was more of a bridge than a story in the sense that it's necessary for readers to understand the plot, but it's not the most entertaining in the series by a long shot.

candy
06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
[U]
OH and Detta would have wrung Mia's neck.
I like Detta.

:wtf:true!!!!

lisaki
09-09-2009, 04:52 AM

When Oy cried.

Suzannah wanted to protect the baby. That bugged me. I know she should and all, but Im being honest here.

Nothing.

Im not a fan of this scene (way too long). I was exepting Eddie to die (for some reason I was sure about that). I was more than happy that he didn't.

LOVED it! I have a thing for turtles since I read IT 14 years ago. I collect turtles, I even have a turtle-lamp.

Only one book left... :(

It's a part of the series, a part of a big novel and I love it as I love all the others.

yesterday's_eyes
09-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Jake and Callahan before getting ready to go into the Dixie Pig/Roland and Eddie at the Gas station.

A lot of the susannah/mia stuff. The whole Dogan and turning of the knobs. The fact that Jake and Callahan are barely in the book.

I'm not sure yet. I'll have to decide after I finish the Dark Tower.

Just loved everything about it. How Roland reacted so fast and Eddie was able to fight despite his injuries.

Eh I suppose.

I'm ready for book 7.

Hmmm probably in last place at the moment. There's a lot if it that I actually do enjoy. I enjoyed all of Roland and Eddie's time as well as the time with Jake and Callahan. There's also a lot that I didn't enjoy though, as mentioned before. So it's kinda 50/50 for me on enjoyment of the book.

Wuducynn
09-27-2009, 08:48 AM
The Mia Susannah stuff is one of the things I loved about this book. I especially loved her experiences in her mind dogan.

Brainslinger
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
The Mia Susannah stuff is one of the things I loved about this book. I especially loved her experiences in her mind dogan.

Me too. Mia was an interesting character. And the mythological stuff concerning the beams, departure of magic, receding of the prim, etc, was interesting.

Letti
09-30-2009, 01:49 AM
I am with you guys.
I liked Mia's character a lot because it was very interesting to see and meet a selfish and quite evil demon who wanted something this human-like very much.

Wuducynn
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't view Mia as that evil. Just sad, desperate and terribly stubborn and thick-headed. I love her complex character.

Letti
10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't view Mia as that evil. Just sad, desperate and terribly stubborn and thick-headed. I love her complex character.

You are right, evil is not a good word to describe her. Still I saw darkness in her.

candy
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM

You are right, evil is not a good word to describe her. Still I saw darkness in her.

i think the darkness that you saw was her selfishness, and that selfishnes manifested itself into badness and evil as it tends to do in life

i also felt sorry for her but also very frustrated.

I have argued mia being selfish, because some people state she was not being selfish but doing it all for her chap. But i stand by the fact that i think she was very selfish as she gave no thought to the chap at all (which would have saved everyone a lot of bother if she had:beat:)

Brainslinger
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
But i stand by the fact that i think she was very selfish as she gave no thought to the chap at all (which would have saved everyone a lot of bother if she had:beat:)

Actually, she seemed to think of little else. I agree that doesn't negate that there might be a degree of selfishness blindly forging ahead in her resolution to bear her chap.

The story of her encounter with the little baby in her dark past was very interesting though showing a rather empathic side to her nature. She adored the baby, and could have easily taken it from his parents. In fact you'd think, due to her nature as a vampiric being -someone who feeds on the energy of others to their destruction- that she'd do just that.

However, in this case she put the child first knowing it was in the baby's best interest to stay with it's parents. She overcame her selfish tendencies way back before her corporealisation (not a proper word, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and humanisation through her link with Susannah. And possibly her chap, who was part human after all.

In the case of Mordred, or course her reaction was rather different. However in his case she saw him as a culmination of her life-long dream to bear and raise a child and ultimately she considered it in Mordred's best interests to take the child into the claws of the Red King's low men anyway. It could be argued there's a degree of selfishness in her strife to fulfil her aim* -achieving her desires could result in the destruction of the multiverse after all- but first and foremost I think she is what her name dictates; a mother, albeit one who ironically could never truly produce a child on her own.

Turned into a bit of an essay there. Heh.
*not the words I really wanted, but I'm tired as I write this and my mind has stopped working properly.

Wuducynn
10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
But i stand by the fact that i think she was very selfish as she gave no thought to the chap at all (which would have saved everyone a lot of bother if she had:beat:)

Actually, she seemed to think of little else. I agree that doesn't negate that there might be a degree of selfishness blindly forging ahead in her resolution to bear her chap.

The story of her encounter with the little baby in her dark past was very interesting though showing a rather empathic side to her nature. She adored the baby, and could have easily taken it from his parents. In fact you'd think, due to her nature as a vampiric being -someone who feeds on the energy of others to their destruction- that she'd do just that.

However, in this case she put the child first knowing it was in the baby's best interest to stay with it's parents. She overcame her selfish tendencies way back before her corporealisation (not a proper word, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and humanisation through her link with Susannah. And possibly her chap, who was part human after all.

In the case of Mordred, or course her reaction was rather different. However in his case she saw him as a culmination of her life-long dream to bear and raise a child and ultimately she considered it in Mordred's best interests to take the child into the claws of the Red King's low men anyway. It could be argued there's a degree of selfishness in her strife to fulfil her aim* -achieving her desires could result in the destruction of the multiverse after all- but first and foremost I think she is what her name dictates; a mother, albeit one who ironically could never truly produce a child on her own.

Turned into a bit of an essay there. Heh.
*not the words I really wanted, but I'm tired as I write this and my mind has stopped working properly.

I believe Mia couldn't do anything to the family, let alone snatch the child. If you remember she said that they seemed to be surrounded by a magic circle, something along those lines.

Delacroix
05-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Jake and Callahan VS Black Thirteen. This is one of the last thing that is can be letal to them...unfortunetly.

Pere Callahan's death. Finally, the path to Tower seems dangerous again.

That Mia was the ringstone demons... I really loved the atmosphere of the forst tomes, where ancient creatures are left here and there, abandoned for centuries and centuries hence. I love not knowing why they're here or where do they come from. I love just seing them once and leaving them where I found them.

Now I learn that she's a nice creature who was very sad not having a baby, and who lived in some sort of city! Jeez...

How Mordred happens to be Roland's Child.

The whole hotel stuff.

It seemed to damn easy to me. That's the perfect "deus ex machina" stuff that opens all the gates to the main characters...

The item in itself is a good idea though, but in the "addictive stuff" category, Black Thirteen wins.

"Will it be like this during the whole book?"

*sigh* (realising it will)

For now, last. There is too much "tet" words, too much Gods, to much Beam/White/Gan stuff, to much todash and too much time/world traveling to my taste...

fabioguilherme_89
04-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Hey i think i´m in the right place to ask this. Before ask my questions i want to say sorry for my bad english. I have some questions and doubts about this book.
Right now i´m reading songs of susannah and i got some doubts/confusions about jake. In the first book he died, so who his jake in the wastelands, its a jake from another world?! and why he has the same memorys of the other jake? In the book songs of susannah(when roland and eddie are attacked by jack andolini) its says that if you kill the original you kill the other persons versions. So there is more versions of the other people?
There is another roland?! if yes, we are following a version of this group (roland, susannah, jake, eddie, oy), who are trying to avoid the distruction of the tower?!