PDA

View Full Version : Original or Revised, if you HAD to choose

Pages : [1] 2

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I no longer own the original version of The Gunslinger. I will probably end up buying it again at some point. I'm curious, if you had to make a choice, which version would you choose?
Why?

Personally, I do like the minor changes Kings made to the book. I don't think they were really necessary but I like how the book flows now. I voted Revised.

*edit*
I do own the Original once again. I have both versions in written and audio form. :D

Brice
05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
The original will always have my heart. King has talked of revising all the books but I'm not sure I want that to happen and I can't view these as improvements for the most part.

sarah
05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
oopps I just voted for original but I meant revised. can my vote be changed?

I've only read the original once and so I would say that I prefer the revised as my choice

EDIT:

ok i edited my choice out

Wuducynn
05-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Revised easily. I like the changes quite a bit and also agreed with King when he felt that some of it felt like he was trying too hard in someways when writing the original.

Matt
05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
:D

Love those powers.

I read and owned both and must say that I like the revised better. Basically just seemed like it moved along more smoothly than the original which I can understand...you don't think of everything at 17 :lol:

Wuducynn
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
:D

Love those powers.

I read and owned both and must say that I like the revised better. Basically just seemed like it moved along more smoothly than the original which I can understand...you don't think of everything at 17 :lol:

A man after my own fart...I mean heart.

sarajean
05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
revised.

almost solely for the mention of the taheen. but not entirely.

Ruki
05-22-2007, 06:55 PM
i wasn't sure on this till a few weeks ago. i listened to both twice, back to back, and i thought the original was much better. all the changes that i noticed in the revised version felt forced and unnecessary. i understand why they were made but i like the book better the way it was before.

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
There are things I like about the original, but there are definitely parts where the dialogue is like cardboard to me, the seventies slang in particular. The inconsistencies with the value of paper is a bit bothersome, too, as it was made a big deal of later on in the series. Other than that, I like the original just fine.

With those differences in mind, however, I have to vote for the revised edition.

Daghain
05-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm a purist. I prefer the original. Of course, that's probably because I read it when it first came out. I don't mind the revised version but I do feel like there's some superfluous stuff in there.

I'm also one of those people who gets really, really ticked when movies don't stick to the books they're based on. Which is another whole rant.

Maybe I'll start a thread somewhere. :D

VolsToTheWall
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Although I was perfectly content when I only had the original, I prefer the revised edition. I like, and agree, with the changes that were made.

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 10:29 PM
King has talked of revising all the books but I'm not sure I want that to happen...

I don't want this to happen either. I'm curious what he thinks he needs to edit/rewrite. As mentioned by others, I do understand the edits to The Gunslinger though.

OchrisO
05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
I voted revised, because, as a writer, I know what it is like to write something and then, years larer, feel the need to change it and make it better, which is what King did in my opinion.

sarajean
05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
King has talked of revising all the books but I'm not sure I want that to happen...

I don't want this to happen either. I'm curious what he thinks he needs to edit/rewrite. As mentioned by others, I do understand the edits to The Gunslinger though. i think part of it is little things like the western sea being on the wrong side when they're walking up the beach in drawing of the three.

nothing *huge*, but stuff like that.

Brice
05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I can understand why some peole like the revised better. The original just holds a special place in my heart, flaws and all. Some of the changes in the revised come across as forced to me. I own both though and read both.

Wuducynn
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I can understand why some peole like the revised better. The original just holds a special place in my heart, flaws and all. Some of the changes in the revised come across as forced to me. I own both though and read both.

It's alright man, I still love you.

funky dredd
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
The original for me. Although I liked the revised as well, I prefer the original because it had such an impact on me when I first read it and whenever I read it I always see myself sitting on that carrier as a young kid. :)

pol
05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I like the way the revised seems to foreshadow events to come and seems more tied into the other books...however for me the original takes the cake, I love the way that it was written and I still go back to it time and again.

Darkthoughts
05-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I read and enjoyed both, but I'll go with the original as I didn't see the need for any revision when comparing the two.

ManOfWesternesse
05-24-2007, 04:42 AM
If I had to choose - then the Original.

Letti
05-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Original forever. because that was the first and King can work on it for years it's good as it is.
I have read the revised one... there were things that could disturb me a lot but I say it's okay but just because I felt the original one in the background.

Wuducynn
05-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Original forever.

I'm sensing some ambiguity from you on this subject Letti...

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Original forever.

I'm sensing some ambiguity from you on this subject Letti...

Huh? :orely:

Baradin
05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I voted original. Keep in mind tho I don't even own the revised version and haven't ready any of the revisions aside from what changes I read online somewhere.

alinda
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
I choose the original,

Chassit
05-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I have never read the revised edition...

XIX

jhanic
05-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Original for me. I first read the stories when they came out in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and liked them a lot then. I think that influenced my decision.

John

Spencer
05-30-2007, 04:57 AM
The original will always have my heart. King has talked of revising all the books but I'm not sure I want that to happen and I can't view these as improvements for the most part.

With the exception of the last half of Book 7, I'd agree.

Frunobulax
06-02-2007, 06:23 PM
My opinion, the easy version:
The revised version sucks balls.

Letti
06-09-2007, 01:43 PM

LOL

fernandito
06-09-2007, 03:51 PM

why you say?

Wuducynn
06-10-2007, 06:56 AM

why you say?

Let me translate for you...Matt likes to suck balls so he means the Revised Version is the best one. For him anything that "sucks balls" is great. See? Glad to help so don't feel a need to thank me.

MonteGss
06-12-2007, 02:01 PM
:lol:

Good one, CK!

Grrr, I was hoping that when I came to check back in on this thread, the Revised would be winning. :(
I have a feeling though, after some time, they will be pretty much dead even.

Ruki
06-12-2007, 09:36 PM
i don't get how the revised version has gotten ten votes so far. the changes are icky :P

Daghain
06-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a feeling though, after some time, they will be pretty much dead even.

Sorry, but as an English major, I hate, hate, hate it when people publish something and then say "Oh, but I couldn't do it the way I wanted, here's what I want".

Then don't publish it.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the kids need food and all, but still...you wrote it, stand by it.

I write stuff for my own personal enjoyment, and I edit it frequently. But if it ever got to print?

It's done, baby. :)

Part of the attraction for the original of The Gunslinger is that, over the course of the series, we can see the growth of the author as well as the characters. They grew together. To go back and "fix" it is wrong, IMHO, and yes, I've read both. Although I'll admit the revised is more SK as he is now, there is a certain pleasure in seeing his evolution as a writer through the series. And, you can see that clearly, especially between The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three. Personally, I like watching a writer evolve, maybe because I write a lot myself, and have seen my stuff get better with age (although I doubt any big publisher is going to call me LOL).

YMMV.

Jean
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Sorry, but as an English major, I hate, hate, hate it when people publish something and then say "Oh, but I couldn't do it the way I wanted, here's what I want"
That's why I have been unable to bring myself to reading the Revised yet.

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't think King was saying "Oh I couldn't do it the way I wanted" more like "I look back and realize that the way I had written it wasn't how I want it now" and I don't feel there is anything wrong with him going back and changing it to how he feels it should be. Plus it flows better with the rest of the series now, in my not so humble opinion.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 09:06 AM

why you say?

Let me translate for you...Matt likes to suck balls so he means the Revised Version is the best one. For him anything that "sucks balls" is great. See? Glad to help so don't feel a need to thank me.

Matthew, lest we forget it wasn't ME who leaked photos of himself getting teabagged by everybody in his town.

The Revised edition was awful--it lost the original feel, added in Calla speak, and tried to retcon way too much.

Daghain
06-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I agree. It just wasn't the same book. I still have to stand by my original statement. It's published, it's done. You have to let it go sometime. :)

I read them both back-to-back when I started my reread of the series (first time I've read the revised), and after rereading the original, the revised just didn't do it for me. At all. It seems really contrived to me.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Same feelings here, Dag. I read the original then the revised over the winter in Seattle.

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Except that a whole bunch of folk who have become Towerjunkies since the revision have read nothing but the revision, so saying that once it's published "its done" isn't true. Artists have first drafts of things and King has said before that he looks at the Dark Tower series as it is now as a first draft and plans to revise the other books also.

Daghain
06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Personally, if I had never read any of the DT books and found the revised first, my obsessive-compulsive self would have had to find the original to read before I could read the revised. That's just how I am. :)

MonteGss
06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm sure there have been many times in everyone's life where we say to ourselves: "Damn, I wish I could do that over" or "Damn, I could do that so much better." I agree with CK. I understand it's a matter of personal preference and all but I see nothing wrong with having a revised addition or with an author changing things. :)

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I disagree with Monte, I think that CK character is off his fucking rocker and needs to shut the hell up.

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 10:47 AM
:o :lol:

MonteGss
06-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Daghain
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
:rofl:

Yeah, that CK...I just don't know about him. :D

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
The entire series as a first draft is interesting, but scares me. I'm afraid the entire series will be this retconned thing like Book I, re. 1 is.

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Matthew, lest we forget it wasn't ME who leaked photos of himself getting teabagged by everybody in his town.

One drunken night with a camera and I can never live it down! :pullhair:

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Hey, the Internet never forgets.

Ruki
06-13-2007, 06:32 PM
i don't see anything wrong with him deciding to make changes, i just don't enjoy the changes he chose to make. i always end up wanting to argue with it, when i come across something that's different i think to myself "yeah but it really happened like this..." i can't just forget that roland got over susan and found love again or that nineteen has nothing whatsoever to do with tull.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
To me, it's almost like removing this integral part to a masterpiece. The flaws are just part of it. Incorporating excessive amounts of the mythos is dull and wears after seeing the original.

Daghain
06-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Amen, brother.

Purists unite! :D

Jean
06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
To me, it's almost like removing this integral part to a masterpiece. The flaws are just part of it.
Whether or not the Revised is good, I co-sign the above statement as a general art manifesto.

i don't see anything wrong with him deciding to make changes, i just don't enjoy the changes he chose to make. i always end up wanting to argue with it, when i come across something that's different i think to myself "yeah but it really happened like this..."

and this is another thing: The Revised and the Original mutually kill each other for those who read both. There's no immediate reader's experience any longer: instead of that, the reader compelled to compare, as if it were two specimen in jars rather than works of literature. (well, at least to an extent)

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 06:30 AM
and this is another thing: The Revised and the Original mutually kill each other for those who read both. There's no immediate reader's experience any longer: instead of that, the reader compelled to compare, as if it were two specimen in jars rather than works of literature. (well, at least to an extent)

Most folk I've known (and I've known a lot) have no interest in reading the original edition, they're happy with the revised, for them its the one they read and got them hooked. I don't see folk feeling they're compelled to compare the two.

She-Oy
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
The only part I really enjoyed about the revised was King's foreward and intro. It's always a delight to hear from him the why's and reasons of his writing.

I don't understand why he feels the need to re-edit all seven books, but it's his baby and he can do what he wants to with it. I'm sure if any of the others are revised I will buy them.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
To me, it's almost like removing this integral part to a masterpiece. The flaws are just part of it.
Whether or not the Revised is good, I co-sign the above statement as a general art manifesto.
. . .
Das Kunst-Manifest

Daghain
06-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow, who knew this would be such a hot topic? :D

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I dunno. All I know is my fingers burn from touching this topic.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
:onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Shall I get the fire hose again?

Daghain
06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
No, he'll enjoy it too much. :rofl:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Maybe.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
No water, just beat me with the hose baby.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I'll let some girl do that.

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
:cry:
That is a big crying smiley face for all the "purists" out there. :lol:

Does the fact that King revised The Gunslinger really diminish any of the overall excitement or the wondrous feeling we have for the series? Does reading the revised edition of the book do the same?
Tell me, I beg.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
No, it doesn't. The revised on its own is a lowlight for me.

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 05:12 PM
No, it doesn't. The revised on its own is a lowlight for me.

Fair enough, my friend. :)

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Awwwww hugs all around.... *Oprah moment* http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/female_celebrities/oprah_winfrey/oprah_winfrey_GI.jpg

Ruki
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Does the fact that King revised The Gunslinger really diminish any of the overall excitement or the wondrous feeling we have for the series? Does reading the revised edition of the book do the same?

no. but yes. it's frustrating and confusing and before the changes it just was what it was and now it's that and also something very different.

and the idea of someone starting out with the revised version just feels like blasphemy to me. it's something to read after all the others, it's not the beginning of the journey. it's what happened in bizzaro midworld :P

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
no. but yes. it's frustrating and confusing and before the changes it just was what it was and now it's that and also something very different.

I don't follow you Ruki. How has reading the revised changed your opinion of the saga? Does it make you like it any less? I just want to understand because I love both but I do really enjoy the revised. Reading it hasn't changed my overall thoughts of The Dark Tower.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
If a set of the other 6 books comes out in revised formats, we'll call those Bizarro Dark Tower.

Ruki
06-14-2007, 05:50 PM

I don't follow you Ruki. How has reading the revised changed your opinion of the saga? Does it make you like it any less? I just want to understand because I love both but I do really enjoy the revised. Reading it hasn't changed my overall thoughts of The Dark Tower.

it doesn't change my opinion of the series at all, he could release a version where roland battles the power rangers in tull and gets tricked into feeding his fingers to the walrus and the carpenter at the western sea and i'd still feel the same about the dark tower series. i think i misundertood your question a bit, and now i can't quite remember what it is that i thought was answering :) i meant that it makes me like the revised version a lot less, not the whole series.

MonteGss
06-14-2007, 05:54 PM
S'cool, Ruki. :) I was just curious about your thoughts.
I could totally see Roland bustin up the Power Rangers. :lol:

Jean
06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Does the fact that King revised The Gunslinger really diminish any of the overall excitement or the wondrous feeling we have for the series?

Yes. It does. It could* make me feel as if all that excitement or wondrous feelings I experienced while reading the Original were misplaced. As if I was trusting a fake love letter. We get too attached to the series, you see. It isn't just another piece of fiction, it is part of our lives. Now I could* find out that the basic part of that part was counterfeit. I personally would* feel betrayed.

* if I chose the Revised as canon.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Clung to obstinate--
Like an old love letter
Boxed in her back pocket
. . .
--Jolly Jolly Jolly Ego, Dirty Projectors.

Anywho, Jean, I do agree with that statement. I consider the Revised Edition this footnote to the series more--not canon.

MonteGss
06-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Does the fact that King revised The Gunslinger really diminish any of the overall excitement or the wondrous feeling we have for the series?

Yes. It does. It could* make me feel as if all that excitement or wondrous feelings I experienced while reading the Original were misplaced. As if I was trusting a fake love letter. We get too attached to the series, you see. It isn't just another piece of fiction, it is part of our lives. Now I could* find out that the basic part of that part was counterfeit. I personally would* feel betrayed.

You have a good point here Jean. I don't agree with you, but your point is fair. I however can't believe that those (what I saw as) minor changes that he made in the Revised could have the effect of a misplaced excitement. I can't see how those said changes could fall in the realm of what you call counterfeit.

Wuducynn
06-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Jean you haven't even read the revised edition yet am I right?

Jean
06-15-2007, 05:53 AM
no, for the reasons beyond my control.

Monte: that's why all my speculations are merely theoretical. I am not criticizing the Revised which I haven't read, I'm just making some statements based on my general reading experience.

MonteGss
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM

no, for the reasons beyond my control.

Monte: that's why all my speculations are merely theoretical. I am not criticizing the Revised which I haven't read, I'm just making some statements based on my general reading experience.

Jean:
I thank you for your theory. It does me well. :)
I am wondering how the revisions of The Gunslinger would cause someone to believe his feelings for the saga were misplaced. Also, how can those minor revisions be considered counterfeit since I truly don't believe they changed the overall DT story in any significant way. I know you are not in the best position necessarily to answer Jean, not having read that edition, but I do want to understand. I want to understand how the revisions changed DT canon or even the canon of The Gunslinger. Tell me folken, I beg.

MonteGss
06-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, thread killer.

I wish I had the original on audio, read by Muller. :)

Daghain
06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
I meant to jump in on this earlier. :)

I don't personally think it alters the canon, I just think the original was better. I just don't feel like the revised added anything to the series. As a matter of fact, it feels like a...I don't want to say hack job, but I can't think of a better term. I just felt like it was a quick fix that didn't really help matters any.

Patrick
06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Hmmm, thread killer.

I wish I had the original on audio, read by Muller. :)

The original reader was Stephen King. That's the one you should hear. :)

Anyway, I voted for the revised version of the book. The original version would win if it were a standalone book, but it isn't. The revised version works much better with the series.

Jean, with all due respect, I think you're making way too big a deal about the changes - some words may have changed but the love is still real. ;)

MonteGss
06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
The original reader was Stephen King. That's the one you should hear. :)

I want to hear the King version! So, there is no Muller recording of the original?

Ruki
06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
there is :) muller read the first four books.

Jean
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Jean, with all due respect, I think you're making way too big a deal about the changes - some words may have changed but the love is still real. ;)
I don't know. As I said, I was merely speculating theoretically. Sooner or later I will be able to get the Revised, and then I can speak more specifically.

Chassit
06-22-2007, 07:54 AM
I have very recently finished the revised ed and I am ambivalent...

It does fill some holes but in some ways it seems hurried and doesn't flow as easily as the original.

Additionally, I think that Sai King tried too hard to foreshadow more in the revised ed (the intro to nineteen was cheesy imo). But regardless, the revised ed IS good and still fits the story.

XIX

Patrick
06-22-2007, 09:56 AM
The original reader was Stephen King. That's the one you should hear. :)I want to hear the King version! So, there is no Muller recording of the original?
there is :) muller read the first four books.
Ruki is correct.

Stephen King read the original version, then later Frank Muller read the original version.

Then George Guidall read the revised version (as well as the last three books)

MonteGss
06-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I've looked for the King readings on eBay before with no luck. I'll have to look for the Muller reading of DT1 there...
Thanks for the info, friends!

Letti
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't know. As I said, I was merely speculating theoretically. Sooner or later I will be able to get the Revised, and then I can speak more specifically.

Are you planning to read it? Oh it's a bit new to me. Last time when I read your posts you said you were not planning to read it at all.
Have you changed your mind or is my memory bad?

Jean
06-24-2007, 01:07 AM
No, I didn't say it. I said I wouldn't kill myself trying to get a copy, which I indeed won't do (as opposed, for example, to the last volume of Harry Potter). It is difficult for me to get books in English here, you see, and, as I said before, the mail doesn't work so my friends can't send me any. I have to wait till:

a1. I go abroad and find a cheap copy (at a charity shop or the like)
a2. One of my friends who live in London or Paris and come to St.Petersburg time to time finds a cheap copy (even they can't afford new books, you see) and brings it to me here.

Nether is going to happen in the next future.

When a book I dearly want to get is concerned, however, I can:

b1. Download it in text format (and murder my eyes, which I already did with The Dark Tower, volumes 5, 6, and 7)
b2. Find an expensive copy here at a store that sells books in foreign languages and buy it, ruining my family budget.

I am going to do b1 or b2 for Harry Potter 7, but The Revised will have to wait till I can do a1 or a2.

Letti
06-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Aha. I see.
For my part I didn't want to read it but it was present. So I read it.
But if it hadn't been a present I wouldn't have read it.

tamez
06-24-2007, 08:03 AM
so, i finally unwrapped my Revised Gunslinger CDs... )they've been
on my shelf unopened since 2004...)
with George Guidall reading it and i must say....
i'm sort of HATING IT! :( which i never expected.
i find the revisions to be very annoying, even if they
are interesting... it's like.. they just don't fit.
and some of them are so incidental and just... i don't know
dumb! how he adds thankie sai and do ya ken.. bleah.

like in the very beginning, Roland is thinking about
the idiograms left by the man in Black and instead of
the random message being "Maybe even 'Eat At Joe's" (which i always
thought was so cool and random...)
it's "Come and get me" ? huh?

why would that kind of change make any difference
other than to get on my nerves.
maybe it wouldn't be so bad except that i have the original all but memorized...
also, Guidall's reading is not up to snuff.
it just isn't
King simply did a better job.
i guess i will push through this version
but, i will most certainly have to re listen to the original immediately after
to cleanse my ears... :orely:

sarajean
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
here's why i'm amused by this conversation:

for years, (prior to the release of the final three volumes) whenever i would convince someone to read the dark tower, i had to tell them to just push through the first one, cos it wasn't all that great in comparison to what came next. most people that i met/talked to about the subject agreed with that. now, suddenly, everyone is saying that it's their favourite. maybe it's just cos there are so many people who came into it late in the game. i don't know. what i do know is that i think the additions to the revised edition are fun. it's kind of like a bool hunt, you know? i don't think it feels forced at all. but that's just my 2¢.

Ruki
06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
why would that kind of change make any difference
other than to get on my nerves.
maybe it wouldn't be so bad except that i have the original all but memorized...

exactly! those revisions were unnecessary and they feel silly and cheap.

Jean
06-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Have just read Tamez's post. I understand that I have to read the book myself to be able to come up with my own opinion, but it sounds just like what I was most afraid of: turning a unique, unparalleled book into something fitting the consumer's expectations and easy to swallow.

Letti
06-25-2007, 02:26 AM

for years, (prior to the release of the final three volumes) whenever i would convince someone to read the dark tower, i had to tell them to just push through the first one, cos it wasn't all that great in comparison to what came next. most people that i met/talked to about the subject agreed with that.

For my part this is what makes me absolutely suprised.
Not to read the first one??? It's so damn strange to me.

Have just read Tamez's post. I understand that I have to read the book myself to be able to come up with my own opinion, but it sounds just like what I was most afraid of: turning a unique, unparalleled book into something fitting the consumer's expectations and easy to swallow.

I would be interested in King's feelings.. is he really satisfied with the revised one? It's so hard to imagine it.

sarajean
06-25-2007, 08:52 AM

for years, (prior to the release of the final three volumes) whenever i would convince someone to read the dark tower, i had to tell them to just push through the first one, cos it wasn't all that great in comparison to what came next. most people that i met/talked to about the subject agreed with that.

For my part this is what makes me absolutely suprised.
Not to read the first one??? It's so damn strange to me.

no, that's not what i said. what i was saying is that most people are turned off while reading the first one, and don't want to continue.

Matt
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I have actually heard that before. That of them all, 1 is the hardest to get close to and that was a problem because it was where most people started.

I think one of the reasons for the revision was not for us, those die hards that pushed through anyway, but to those just beginning the series.

Jean
06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
it nearly happened to me - I also mentioned somewhere that if I hadn't had Book 2 at hand and if I hadn't been in hospital with no choice of books, I would have probably dropped the whole thing. But. After reading the whole thing, Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

tamez
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

yes!

VolsToTheWall
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM

for years, (prior to the release of the final three volumes) whenever i would convince someone to read the dark tower, i had to tell them to just push through the first one, cos it wasn't all that great in comparison to what came next. most people that i met/talked to about the subject agreed with that. now, suddenly, everyone is saying that it's their favourite. maybe it's just cos there are so many people who came into it late in the game. i don't know. what i do know is that i think the additions to the revised edition are fun. it's kind of like a bool hunt, you know? i don't think it feels forced at all. but that's just my 2¢.

I hear ya Sara, I found this thread amusing at first for the same reason. In fact, I remember when I first joined dot net before there was a revised edition of The Gunslinger, and how there were these threads dedicated to how people hated the original version and how they had to just push through it, and like you said, how it was difficult to get others into the series because of the first book.

Wuducynn
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=sarajean;18754]

I hear ya Sara, I found this thread amusing at first for the same reason. In fact, I remember when I first joined dot net before there was a revised edition of The Gunslinger, and how there were these threads dedicated to how people hated the original version and how they had to just push through it, and like you said, how it was difficult to get others into the series because of the first book.

Oh yeah I noticed that a lot.

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I just re-read the original again. I love it. I just started to listen to the revised edition (hate who's reading it though), But, I'm not sure if I like the add-ins and fixing the mistakes. I hate when art is messed with.

Wuducynn
07-03-2007, 05:08 AM
I hate when art is messed with.

You sure sound like you're starting off without any bias... :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I hate when art is messed with.

You sure sound like you're starting off without any bias... :lol:

LOL...ya...that's how I roll....:orely:

Letti
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Book 1 makes perfect sense, exactly as it is.

yes!

Let me join the club. :)

stevesnow
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I said the original. I'm rereading it at the mo, the first time I've read it in these post DT7 years and it seems like a much better and somehow "easier" read now than it was before.

Anyway, I'm not totally against the revision. Its a good piece of work for purely ironing out some of the inconsistencies that arise from the original version. What really stood out as annoying for me was the gunslinger and Brown (I think, and likely others too) speaking like the Calla, with all the do ya's and that. For me, that was something Roland picked up from the Calla, it seemed weird seeing it shoe-horned into the revised Gunslinger.

Matt
11-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with that, it was kind of weird after cutting my teeth on the original one to see that exchange happening.

Not sure it was totally necessary either.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, that ticked me off, too. :nope:

William50
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
To me, there is nothing better than the original!

Ruki
11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
*scowls at revised gunslinger*

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Original~it was my first Stephen King book, and is still very close to my heart

Sinistar
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Definitely the original. Great point by some of you when you said that the revised felt like it was forced just to go with DT2-4. I disagreed with SK when he stated that he wasn't crazy about the original.

MonteGss
12-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I said the original. I'm rereading it at the mo, the first time I've read it in these post DT7 years and it seems like a much better and somehow "easier" read now than it was before.

Anyway, I'm not totally against the revision. Its a good piece of work for purely ironing out some of the inconsistencies that arise from the original version. What really stood out as annoying for me was the gunslinger and Brown (I think, and likely others too) speaking like the Calla, with all the do ya's and that. For me, that was something Roland picked up from the Calla, it seemed weird seeing it shoe-horned into the revised Gunslinger.

I like to think of The Dark Tower books as a loop. I start with the original Gunslinger and I read the series through and after DT7, I pick up the revised edition and read that through. It is an interesting way to see what happens after Roland reaches the final door. That would be a possible explanation of his calla speak. :)

CyberGhostface
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Original.

The original is harder to read and the revised is more accessible, but in the end, most of the changes were either pointless or ended up confusing the series' continuity more than it already had. If King were to dramatically alter events he should have done it in a way that it would still go seamlessly with the other books. There's so much from Walter's identity crisis to the shoehorning of the Crimson King that just wasn't need in the long run.

sai delgado
12-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm biased as I haven't read the original, but I think that the revised one would be better as it would make more sense and flow with the rest of the series-it would be easier for people who are reading the gunslinger for the first time to make sense of it all as well.

jayson
12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I prefer the original. I read it so many times in that form that to me it rings as the "truer" one. Sure, it leaves a bit more up to speculation, but that's what I like about the series. If all my questions about DT were eventually answered, what the hell would I think about?:idea:

Mattrick
12-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I like to think of The Dark Tower books as a loop. I start with the original Gunslinger and I read the series through and after DT7, I pick up the revised edition and read that through. It is an interesting way to see what happens after Roland reaches the final door. That would be a possible explanation of his calla speak. :)

I agree with this. I've read the original twice and the revised once (on my third read through) and really, from memory, I don't recall anything that blatantly stuck out as being a tremendous difference. I think King just wanted the first book to feel like Mid-World, maintain certain consistencies etc. The original is like a second draft and the revised is like a third. Going back after so many years. It's not uncommon for ideas to greatly change, especially in a series so long.

I think it comes down to which you read first. My friend started with the revised and the original would probably feel more wooden and vague than the revised.

CyberGhostface
12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't recall anything that blatantly stuck out as being a tremendous difference.

Off the top of my head, the inclusion of the Crimson King, Walter's identity crisis and the addition of "19" absolving Roland of his role in Allie's death all come off to me as being pretty big differences.

MonteGss
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
If I had to choose between the original or revised audiobook, I would choose Muller's original over Guidall's revised. :)

jayson
01-29-2008, 04:35 AM
If I had to choose between the original or revised audiobook, I would choose Muller's original over Guidall's revised. :)

so would i monte! no offense to guidall, but i prefer muller. guidall does a nice job finishing up the series though.

Brice
01-29-2008, 05:14 AM
I like Muller. I still prefer King reading though. I wish he'd do the whole series, although I suspect that won't happen.

jayson
01-29-2008, 05:24 AM
I like Muller. I still prefer King reading though. I wish he'd do the whole series, although I suspect that won't happen.

same here, i have king doing drawing of the three and that is fucking cool to hear the author himself like my douglas adams' books.

Brice
01-29-2008, 05:32 AM
I have The Gunslinger through The Wastelands read by him. He reaaly needs to read the other four. It just almost seems personal when an author tells his story himself.

jayson
01-29-2008, 06:15 AM
i agree, it's akin to hearing a songwriter perform their own song regardless of how well they sing [eg, dylan or hunter]. hearing king tell his own story is very cool.

Brice
01-29-2008, 06:36 AM
i agree, it's akin to hearing a songwriter perform their own song regardless of how well they sing [eg, dylan or hunter]. hearing king tell his own story is very cool.

I would make an exception for Dylan (who should not sing his own songs) :ninja:

*runs quickly from the Dylan fans*

jayson
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
i can understand some people's aversion to dylan's voice. i don't share it. i love hearing dylan sing his songs. of course my fav singer is tom waits so there you go...

Brice
01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
i can understand some people's aversion to dylan's voice. i don't share it. i love hearing dylan sing his songs. of course my fav singer is tom waits so there you go...

I am half joking when I trash Dylan's singing. It does have a certain charm and I think he's a brilliant songwriter. I like Tom Waits too, but I'm much less familiar with his music.

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 08:27 AM

so would i monte! no offense to guidall, but i prefer muller. guidall does a nice job finishing up the series though.

I have fallen into CK's way of thinking. They both do a great job! (pssst, maybe Muller is a tiny bit better)

I have The Gunslinger through The Wastelands read by him. He reaaly needs to read the other four. It just almost seems personal when an author tells his story himself.

I would love a chance to hear King's versions someday. CK, with Daghain's help, has really gotten me hooked on audiobooks in the past few months. I would certainly eat up King's reads if I could find them in CD or digital form. Tape won't do for me. *shrugs*

jayson
01-29-2008, 09:43 AM
oh i like guidall do, i just think i prefer muller bc i started with muller. i think guidall does a great roland, and i hated the way muller did the accents in mejis [it sounded like appalachia]

Wuducynn
01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
King lays waste to both of them :cool:

jayson
01-30-2008, 04:17 AM
King lays waste to both of them :cool:

agreed, it's his story, and i'd love to have the audiobooks i don't have that king recorded [though i am glad that if i only have one, it's Drawing of the Three].

Woofer
01-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Original all the way. While I understand why King made the changes, I prefer it the way it was.

Brice
01-30-2008, 05:36 AM

I have fallen into CK's way of thinking. They both do a great job! (pssst, maybe Muller is a tiny bit better)

I would love a chance to hear King's versions someday. CK, with Daghain's help, has really gotten me hooked on audiobooks in the past few months. I would certainly eat up King's reads if I could find them in CD or digital form. Tape won't do for me. *shrugs*

I'm pretty sure they were never released on CD. I have seen them in digital form on occasion though.

MonteGss
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info Brice! :)
I have a saved search on eBay to try and find them.

John Blaze
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
what's that commercial say? "choose the original and best"

obscurejude
02-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Point taken John, but I think King's reasons for revision outlined in the "On Being Nineteen" essay are very legitimate. My only complaint is that he hasn't revised the rest of the novels.

MonteGss
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I never had any complaints about someone wanting to revise their work. It also helps that I consider the Revised as more of a Dark Tower book 8 then I see it as a replacement to Dark Tower book 1. All the revisions/changes and everything fits much better when it is actually read after Dark Tower 7. My two cents. :)

(my vote was for revised though)

obscurejude
02-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Monte, I think your two cents and mine add up to four.

jayson
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I never had any complaints about someone wanting to revise their work. It also helps that I consider the Revised as more of a Dark Tower book 8 then I see it as a replacement to Dark Tower book 1. All the revisions/changes and everything fits much better when it is actually read after Dark Tower 7. My two cents. :)

good point indeed monte. it makes the revised fit a little better. i still like the original, but i too have read the revised right after DT-7 and it works well there.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 08:08 PM

I can see that.

wildfire1290
05-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Do any of you guys have a list of all the changes that happened in the revised version of DT1. Maybe do Jean and I a favor?
Pleeeeease....... ;)

John_and_Yoko
05-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I've only read the revised version, but it's what got me into The Dark Tower in the first place, so I voted for that.

Of course, having read what I have on this thread, having the whole story in mind may be helpful when I read it again next year or whenever.

Now 3/4 of the way through The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower....

Jean
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Do any of you guys have a list of all the changes that happened in the revised version of DT1. Maybe do Jean and I a favor?
Pleeeeease....... ;)
I think we should just take a deep breath, get ourselves a copy of the Revised each, and get it over with at last

Brice
05-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Pleeeeease....... ;)

Actually, for my own reference I've been working on a comparison of the two which would list word for word any changes.

Woofer
05-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Pleeeeease....... ;)

Actually, for my own reference I've been working on a comparison of the two which would list word for word any changes.

Jean and wildfire1290, noooooooooooo!

Brice, that's great. If you shared it with the rest of it, that would be teh awesum!

Wuducynn
05-20-2008, 10:18 AM

:rolleyes: Check out the drama

Woofer
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM

:rolleyes: Check out the drama

Where? *peers around curiously*

Oh! You must mean my joke. And that, my friends, is why I keep my day job.

Or were you looking for drama? If that's the case, may I recommend Encyclopedia Dramatica (http://encyclopediadramatica.com/)?

Here, also, is drama for you:
http://www.blackfive.net/main/images/2007/09/28/angry_wolf.jpg

*pats CK's back* Feeling better now?

Wuducynn
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
You were the one going "noooooooooo"...you feeling better?

Woofer
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM
You were the one going "noooooooooo"...you feeling better?

:nope: Nooooooooooooooooooo!

http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/grinsit.gif (http://www.nearlygood.com) Or yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/dunno.gif (http://www.nearlygood.com)Or maaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Goddammit, is this test multiple choice?

On a serious note, a little scream therapy and target practice :shoot: IRL actually DO a world of good when I am really angry. Let's face it: It's fun to blow up shit. http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/laser.gif (http://www.nearlygood.com)

We now return you to our regularly scheduled banter.

Letti
05-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Do any of you guys have a list of all the changes that happened in the revised version of DT1.
One thing is sure, there are a great deal of them.

ManOfWesternesse
05-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Do any of you guys have a list of all the changes that happened in the revised version of DT1.

Yes there are!
I've started a DT re-read, and I'm reading the original but cross-checking with the revised now & again (just in places where I'm wondering if he changed things). There's a LOT of very small stuff (like Susan singing a different song ('Careless Love' in place of '100 Miles to Banbury Cross', etc...etc...)

It would be a big job to specifically check & list all changes though. And probably wouldn't serve much purpose?

Woofer
05-21-2008, 05:12 AM

Yes there are!
I've started a DT re-read, and I'm reading the original but cross-checking with the revised now & again (just in places where I'm wondering if he changed things). There's a LOT of very small stuff (like Susan singing a different song ('Careless Love' in place of '100 Miles to Banbury Cross', etc...etc...)

It would be a big job to specifically check & list all changes though. And probably wouldn't serve much purpose?

But if they don't serve much purpose, then why were they made?

jayson
05-21-2008, 05:28 AM
i think whether they were necessary is subjective. it seems for the most part the attempted purpose of the revisions is to make the first book more cohesive with the rest of them, particularly the final three. i just never thought it lacked cohesion in the first place and so the changes seem a bit heavy-handed to me. that said, i know some people don't like the original Gunslinger and perhaps the revised has more of what they find lacking in the first. for me the original works just fine as is.

Woofer
05-21-2008, 05:36 AM
i think whether they were necessary is subjective. it seems for the most part the attempted purpose of the revisions is to make the first book more cohesive with the rest of them, particularly the final three. i just never thought it lacked cohesion in the first place and so the changes seem a bit heavy-handed to me. that said, i know some people don't like the original Gunslinger and perhaps the revised has more of what they find lacking in the first. for me the original works just fine as is.

I agree. I was playing the devil's advocate a bit because it is such a subejct of contention.

ManOfWesternesse
05-21-2008, 05:59 AM

I agree. I was playing the devil's advocate a bit because it is such a subejct of contention.

I agree also - for me the revised is too....pointed in places. eg. no need for a sneak preview of a Taheen running around lost on the fringes of the desert etc... And some of the language changes ('Calla-speak' etc..) are a bit forced for me.

jayson
05-21-2008, 06:03 AM
And some of the language changes ('Calla-speak' etc..) are a bit forced for me.

it's the Calla-speak that most seems forced to me. I'll grant that if you'd never read the series and started with the revised it wouldn't be noticeable, but if, like many of us, you read the original Gunslinger dozens of times before we ever knew what a Calla was, it feels like it's been tinkered with.

Wuducynn
05-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Well, I am one of those, Jayson, and it doesn't feel forced to me. In fact, I don't view it as "Calla-speak" at all, but general "All-World speak" that was developed as the series went on. All I know is that before the revision it was my least favorite book because like King has said, he was young when he wrote it and it showed.
I still loved the original, but over the years when I re-read the series, I could tell King was 19 and trying very hard to be artsy when he started it. Nothing wrong with that, but it was noticable. Hell even the later chapters which came out when he was older read better.
Also, it is noticable that King went a different direction with the series, that made some of the events and language stick out. It wasn't big, but it was noticable to me, because of my detail minded reading.
In my re-read of Drawing, I've noticed the same things, but not quite as glaring.
I am with King completely in why he did his revision and I enjoy it more now than before the revision.

MonteGss
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Well said CK. Truly. :thumbsup:

Woofer
05-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Well said CK. Truly. :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, I still respect both your opinions even if they are wrong. :P

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 05:05 AM
i voted revised

mia/susannah
05-22-2008, 05:21 AM
I probably should not have voted because the only edition that I have are the revised editions. The only 3 that I have that are not revised are Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah and the Dark Tower 7. But I voted for the revised

Wuducynn
05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
I probably should not have voted because the only edition that I have are the revised editions. The only 3 that I have that are not revised are Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah and the Dark Tower 7. But I voted for the revised

There is only one revised volume of the Dark Tower series and thats The Gunslinger.

mia/susannah
05-22-2008, 06:23 AM
You are right All hail, sorry about that, The others have a new introduction only. My bad.

Wuducynn
05-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Forgiven....this time....

mia/susannah
05-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Forgiven....this time....

Thank you. I will try not to let it happen again. If it does, you can punish me, depending on the punishment

Letti
05-25-2008, 12:47 AM
I still loved the original, but over the years when I re-read the series, I could tell King was 19 and trying very hard to be artsy when he started it. Nothing wrong with that, but it was noticable. Hell even the later chapters which came out when he was older read better.
Also, it is noticable that King went a different direction with the series, that made some of the events and language stick out. It wasn't big, but it was noticable to me, because of my detail minded reading.
In my re-read of Drawing, I've noticed the same things, but not quite as glaring.
I am with King completely in why he did his revision and I enjoy it more now than before the revision.

Hm, very interesting.
I have read the Gunslinger many times and I didn't feel anything like this. For me this book is so natural.. so original and so complex. I don't feel that a 19-year-old beginner writer is trying to write something good very hard... no, nothing like this, really.
For me this book is good and perfect as it is. I love that there are so many open questions in it...
I wouldn't like to go on and on all I wanted to say is that when I read this book I am not reading a book. I am there. Next to Roland, I am standing there and I can smell his sad and heavy memories his dreams and his tiredness.
To sum up this book is professional and I didn't feel anything forced, farfetched or unnatural in it.
I felt all the opposite.

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 01:23 AM

Letti, now that you said that I kinda don't wanna read the revised version because to me it seems that the thing I grew up on kinda just disappeared and was replaced with "a better version." Kinda like an old hang out store that closed down and was bought out by someone else promising the same thing but it ends up sucking in the end.

Brice
05-26-2008, 01:26 AM

Letti, now that you said that I kinda don't wanna read the revised version because to me it seems that the thing I grew up on kinda just disappeared and was replaced with "a better version." Kinda like an old hang out store that closed down and was bought out by someone else promising the same thing but it ends up sucking in the end.

Oh, it doesn't suck. It's pretty cool even. It just doesn't touch the magic in the original IMO.

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Is it mostly just the changing of some of the words around or does it introduce a lot of stuff like way early then it was original introduced in the later books? I.E. Calla-speak and the Taheen

Brice
05-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Some of that is introduced briefly along with the nineteen stuff.

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 01:46 AM
If all that stuff is brought in during the first book will King bring in everything a lot faster when he eventually does the revisions on the other books as well or will there be a large gap where they don't even introduce the subject until the actual book where it was originally brought in. Like the number 19 coming in in the 3rd book, I believe. (Not sure.)

Brice
05-26-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm betting (hoping) he won't get around to revising anymore.

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 05:19 AM
I am betting he won't revise them either.

Brice
05-26-2008, 05:20 AM
I am hoping the same very much. I also want him to unrevise the revised. :lol:

MonteGss
05-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Oh phooey! The revised is fine....I read it from your own post above! :P
Even though I prefer it, I would agree with what you said about not touching the magic of the original.

Letti
05-26-2008, 05:25 AM
I am hoping the same very much. I also want him to unrevise the revised. :lol:

Brice
05-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Of course you'd agree. It is the undebatable truth. :P

...and yes, it is fine. The original is great though.

John_and_Yoko
05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Hmph! Purists! :P Let the man do what he wants with his own work!

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 10:40 AM

And let us criticize him for it. :shoot:

John_and_Yoko
05-26-2008, 11:10 AM

It's your right, but wait until the foot's on the other shoe....

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Ha ha. I'll keep that in mind.

John_and_Yoko
05-26-2008, 03:14 PM
That's all I ask. ;)

Woofer
05-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Don't you mean wait until the hand is on the other foot?

John_and_Yoko
05-27-2008, 03:47 PM

I meant what I said and I said what I meant....

Woofer
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM

I meant what I said and I said what I meant....

Oh, right. That's what I meant. :orely:

obscurejude
05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
On a serious note, if you aren't willing to have your work criticized J and Y, it should never be submitted for publishing. Every writer comes to terms with that. Its how you get better.

John_and_Yoko
05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
On a serious note, if you aren't willing to have your work criticized J and Y, it should never be submitted for publishing. Every writer comes to terms with that. Its how you get better.

I know, and I am well aware of that.

Truth be told, I have "purist" thoughts myself, although I wish I didn't--when I think about it objectively it's stupid. I mean, it's the artist's objective, and technically nothing is ever perfect or finished--you can only choose when to stop. So it's just "better" or "worse" (or neutral).

I'm not trying to tell other people what to think, just saying what I think.

obscurejude
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
You might be interested to know that the "On Being Nineteen" was originally an afterward to DT 7. Whelan, the illustrator, suggested that it was too wordy and distracted from the ending speaking for itself. King took the advice, and placed it at the beginning of the revised edition.

Case in point.

Art becomes open for interpretation as soon as it leaves the hand of the artist and is given to the public. It becomes an artifact. Its why many artists kill themselves.*

*Read Kafka's view on writing.

John_and_Yoko
05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Call me naughty....

But I actually read all that before I started The Dark Tower....

Pretty much all I didn't read was the Arguments at the beginning of the second through fifth volumes, summarizing up to the beginning of each.

Brainslinger
05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
for me the revised is too....pointed in places. eg. no need for a sneak preview of a Taheen running around lost on the fringes of the desert etc... And some of the language changes ('Calla-speak' etc..) are a bit forced for me.

The inclusion of the taheen did feel a bit heavy handed to me as well since they didn't appear anywhere else until the last books.

Didn't bother me though, in fact I found it rather interesting. Besides, ka allows for all that unlikely stuff.

The not-man (or non-man?) reference intrigued me. It was something that was mentioned in the Revised Gunslinger, but never actually came to anything in the later books, just a reference to something Roland experienced in his past.

I wonder if it'll be dealt with in the comics? I doubt it, as it was one little almost throwaway comment, but it'll be interesting to see.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I would go with the revised. It fits better with the rest of the books, although it felt a bit like King was trying a bit hard at times. I was glad that the language changed, as it fits in better with the other books. Not just the latter books but it starts in Drawing of the Three. I think King does go a bit overboard with the 'yars' etc though which he doesn't say much anywhere else, including the last books. That's a word Jonas uses in Wizard and Glass[.

This could be put down to Roland simply taking on the dialect of the people of Tull though, and we know there is at least one migrant from Mejis there. . It mostly isn't Calla speak though, although once Roland does say "You say true, I say thank-ya" which appears to be something peculiar to the Calla.

Another reason why I liked the revised- I'm a sucker for extra stuff. Yeah, probably shallow of me. I'm glad certain inconsistencies and errors were corrected too (i.e Farson no being the Good Man rather than a town) although comparing with the other books, it created a few other inconsistencies. Mostly the Walter stuff that's been spoken of so much.

The original is still interesting though. Truth be told, for all the bits changed, it's not that different.

ManOfWesternesse
05-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Agree with all that Brainslinger, and at the end of the day I'm happy with either one in a re-read (with probably a slight personal preference for the Original).

wildfire1290
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Didn't Rev. Callahan tell the Ka-tet about the Taheen though? If he did, i'm just wondering why King placed one of them in the revised version and if Roland knew it by name. (I have not read the revised version so if i asked a stupid question, please, kindly correct me.)

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Roland did not know this one by name. He saw it in the distance and it ran off when he called to it.
About Callahan - I've a feeling you are right but don't recall it well. ?

wildfire1290
05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't know, just seems kinda strange to me that SK would introduce something in the story that early and then forget about it until the 5th book.

Brainslinger
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
As this deals with later books, I'll spoiler tag the next bit.

Callahan didn't tell them about the taheen. He did tell them about the low men though. Ok, low men are sort of taheen, (actually part taheen being hybrids) but he didn't know what they were. He just knew they were scary, and inhuman.

When we meet the taheen and low men again in the later books, its clear Roland is aware of their existence, although he probably hasn't had many dealings with them. Although they don't refer to his prior sight of the taheen in the Gunslinger, (probably due to The Gunslinger being revised when King finished the last books.) it's not a contradiction.

It was another traveller who told them about the relationship between the can-toi and the taheen.

Edit- Sorry, I forgot the end tag above. it wasn't too big of a spoiler though.

Whilst I liked the 19 stuff in the Revised Gunslinger I wonder if it was such a good idea considering Roland doesn't make a big thing about it Wolves of the Calla. While the rest are obsessed he's pretty nonchalant. Considering Tull and Abbie you'd think his ears would have pricked up, but since it was just one small thing in the debacle of Tull, maybe he forgot.

wildfire1290
05-29-2008, 11:37 PM
At least there wasn't the number 99 written everywhere in the way station when Roland found Jake or anything crazy and out of place like that.....right?

Tiffany
05-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Original.

It was the copy I borrowed from a friend's mom and I had to have a copy for myself. So I went out and bought it but accidentally got the revised. When I read it, I didn't like it as much. Was it my own dumbass fault for not paying attention? Absolutely.

But it was kinda like biting into a stuffed jalapeno and finding cheddar when you were anticipating cream cheese. S'all I'm sayin'.

Brainslinger
05-30-2008, 03:17 PM
At least there wasn't the number 99 written everywhere in the way station when Roland found Jake or anything crazy and out of place like that.....right?

No there wasn't anything like that.

wildfire1290
05-31-2008, 05:25 PM

No there wasn't anything like that.

Ha ha alright, cool. Now I just gotta wait till i have some money again to spend. Stupid expensive college...

Jon
05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, I am one of those, Jayson, and it doesn't feel forced to me. In fact, I don't view it as "Calla-speak" at all, but general "All-World speak" that was developed as the series went on. All I know is that before the revision it was my least favorite book because like King has said, he was young when he wrote it and it showed.

When is someone going to revise YOUR stupid fucking ass??!!

riknofx
05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Revised for me. Own em both. I like the way it was pretty minimal but effective to fill some holes. The original will stay sentimentally strong and classic though.

Frunobulax
05-31-2008, 11:59 PM
riknofx, you are officially On Notice.

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Forgive the noob, but....

Is there a thread here (or something somewhere online) that describes in detail the differences between the two?

MonteGss
06-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm fairly certain it has been covered in this thread. :)
I seem to remember anyway...
IMO, they are so small and rather insignificant that they don't merit detailed descriptions. Why don't you just read it and decide for yourself it they are important?
:)

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm fairly certain it has been covered in this thread. :)
I seem to remember anyway...
IMO, they are so small and rather insignificant that they don't merit detailed descriptions. Why don't you just read it and decide for yourself it they are important?
:)

Err.... I don't have the original....

Anyway, I was hoping for the kind of thing thedarktower.net had.... You know, when it was actually online?

MonteGss
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
That's what I'm saying dude...get the original. All hard-core junkies should have both. :D

(not a fan of .net either)

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
That's what I'm saying dude...get the original. All hard-core junkies should have both. :D

(not a fan of .net either)

Any idea where I might FIND this elusive original...? Or how much it might cost?

MonteGss
06-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Elusive? :unsure:
I just saw about a dozen copies of it at Half Priced Books, for about a buck fifty. Also, I see it in mass market paperback and trade paperback on eBay all the time for very cheap.

turtlex
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I pick the original, because (and this might seem sort of odd) but I owe a debt of gratitude to it. The original is the first I ever read, the first that introduced me to Roland and his world.

Letti
06-05-2008, 10:56 PM
It's not odd at all, moreover. I wish I had the original one in English.

wildfire1290
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
It's not odd at all, moreover. I wish I had the original one in English.

Find a nice friend who has a second english copy to send to you?

Jean
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I think I have a second Original at home, I will look as soon as I am back

wildfire1290
06-09-2008, 12:33 AM
I think I have a second Original at home, I will look as soon as I am back

And maybe if you get lucky enough, you can find someone here with 2 copies of the revised version for you to read, or possibly they bought and sent you one, and well...me too, but i'm going to check again at a different book store after school tomorrow.

Letti
06-09-2008, 02:49 AM
If my revised Gunslinger hadn't been a present I would send it to you with pleasure (however I have just one). ;)

Fathers Face
07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Whoa wait a minute there are two versions of the Gunslinger ? how do you know if you have the original or the revised version ?

Wuducynn
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Whoa wait a minute there are two versions of the Gunslinger ? how do you know if you have the original or the revised version ?

It says it on it.

Fathers Face
07-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Mines an original then.

Letti
07-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Revised gunslinger is like light coke. They can say it tastes the same but it doesn't.

meatballsmarlowe
07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm a big DT fan. My girlfriend's about to read the series for the first time, and I was wondering, which version of The Gunslinger should I give her, the original or the revised edition? DT fans know there's a big difference between the two. I own both, and tend to prefer the original.

I'm really excited to share this great series with another person, but I feel this is a big decision, not only because it's the book that's going to introduce her to the series, but also because The Gunslinger is my favorite book of the seven.

ManOfWesternesse
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I too prefer the original, but my advice is to give her the revised.
Should she go on to become a fan, then she'll still appreciate the original on the inevitable re-read.

Ruthful
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
The Drawing of the Three.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Should she go on to become a fan, then she'll still appreciate the original on the inevitable re-read.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

gsvec
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Ditto.

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Ditto.

i read both when i do my annual reread but i prefer the revised edition.
so i'm going with a big fat me too. :)

and hi. nice to meet you - welcome to the site! :rose:

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Revised gunslinger is like light coke. They can say it tastes the same but it doesn't.

careful letti - your roland obsession is showing. :lol: :couple:

Letti
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM

careful letti - your roland obsession is showing. :lol: :couple:

How so? *laughs* But I don't mind it at all. :D

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
everywhere i've looked today i've seen letti fighting on roland's behalf. and now you say the revised gunslinger is like new coke. i found that particularly funny. i, of course, loathe coke in all it's forms (i'm a diet pepsi girl through and through). :D

Letti
07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
everywhere i've looked today i've seen letti fighting on roland's behalf. and now you say the revised gunslinger is like new coke. i found that particularly funny. i, of course, loathe coke in all it's forms (i'm a diet pepsi girl through and through). :D

I tell you a big secret... come closer... a bit even closer...

I am diet coke girl. ;)

Still the example was good. :D

Jon
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I prefer the original.

Letti
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
original

Brice
07-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Give her the original and don't even ever let her know it was revised. I keep telling myself it was never revised despite the (multiple) copies sitting on my bookshelf. :lol:

jayson
07-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Original. I agree with Brice, just pretend it never was revised.

Letti
07-29-2008, 05:38 AM

It wasn't.

alinda
07-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I vote original too. (or both) :lol: one can not be too careful right? :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
07-29-2008, 05:46 AM

It wasn't.
I half-agree with you, but then remind myself that SK wrote it, so like it or not it has to be valid.
Anyway, I've read the Revised more than once (ie. twice:dance:) so I've fulfilled my obligations and can now ignore it.

But if it helps get a new reader addicted to the point where they can go on to read the original , then I'm ok with that.

Linda - 'both' is a very valid vote!

alinda
07-29-2008, 05:55 AM
That way she can join this debate :lol:

Wuducynn
08-01-2008, 07:08 AM
I didn't even know that you've read any of the Dark Tower books Jon-boy. I thought all you read was The Stand over and over and over, between NASCAR "events"?

LadyHitchhiker
08-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I said the revised...

KaLikeAWheel
09-17-2008, 01:43 AM
I always thought of myself as a Dark Tower purist, but I finally broke down and read the revised version and I have to admit, I like it, dammit. It fits in with the rest of the series much better. My husband even likes it, and that's saying something. (If we ever get divorced it will be over The Dark Tower series.) :D

Donna

MonteGss
09-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Purists schmurists. :D
Revised! :)

Whitey Appleseed
12-25-2008, 04:50 AM
If I had to choose, I guess I'd pick the revised. There's some things about the original that are a real hoot. Posted the same thing elsewhere here in The Baronies...at least, I think that's where I'm at...but when Roland comes upon the kids outside the bar, he says, how's it hanging? A much different gunslinger than the one I read in the revised, that reads, long days and pleasant nights.

Over on the official board, I had started a thread wanting to discuss the two versions. Kinda got shot down. Eventually, I left. There are other worlds, yadda yadda. I haven't taken the time to go through and look at a side by side comparison, but the one difference I mention leaped out.

There's some others, the horn is never mentioned in the original, nor is there anything about Jake reading the book...some reference to Blaze I guess, as I read in another thread. I've enjoyed both versions. The revised is better, I guess....how's it hanging?

flaggwalkstheline
12-25-2008, 09:18 AM
the revised is better
the original is extrordinarily good and a great read by itself but when connected with the other books the plotholes are glaringly obvious which makes sense since there was a decade long break between it and the drawing of the 3

perhaps the original gunslinger is better read as a stand alone novel than the new and improved one?

It was the one I read first and I have a copy of both (I got the original illustratd first edition WOOT!)

Ruthful
12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
The revised version.

The original version of The Gunslinger reads like something written by a teenager, which it was. Notwithstanding all the continuity errors and inconsistencies that were patched over in a haphazard, retrospective manner, I still think anyone who begins reading TDT should start with the newer, better version of The Gunslinger.

MonteGss
12-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree Ruthful.
I am listening to the original right now and I keep having the same thoughts. It totally sounds/reads like a teenager wrote it. I'm not saying that it is bad but I do agree that any newbie to the series should start out with the revised version.
:thumbsup:

Jon
12-27-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm so torn. I grew up on the original.

DinosaurSR
02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Original, Absolutely.

There's something incredibly charming about the original - it feels very much like a product of its era, a true classic of the Dying Earth subgenre of speculative fiction that puts its own weird, western twist on the territory originally tread by Jack Vance, and later Gene Wolfe. I love how Mid-World feels empty, dead, and haunted - truly a world that has moved on from our own. I actually think that the lack of legit "world-building" in the original The Gunslinger serves this desolate tone - there are no micro-managed races abounding, no hierarchies of magic, no overarching cosmology - just the occasional demon and some mutants. King's first mistake is inserting a Taheen on what, page 10? It doesn't jibe with the tone of the book, and sticks out like a troupe of CG jawas added 20 years later.

It really is the ham-fisted, clunky manner in which King revised the book that kills me. The changes just feel garish, shoe-horned in, and ultimately inappropriate, and in fact go a long way to destroying the book's singular effect. There are six more DT books to show us Taheen, the CK, Algul Siento, and so on, but King's found a way to jump the gun on all of those things by incorporating them from the get-go. One of my favorite things about reading the series through (as they were released) was that you didn't quite have a grasp on what was going on, on what other creatures and lands were lurking out there until the characters encountered them.

And all of this is to say nothing of the fact that he actually all-but spoils the ending of book seven in the first few pages!

Original for life.

jayson
02-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Excellent points DinosaurSr (great name too).