PDA

View Full Version : How did Oy survive trip through the door?

Tony_A
07-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I was asking myself this question while reading the "Jake and Callahan" stanza.

I'm not questioning his presence because as a member of the ka-tet it made sense that he accompany Jake on his part of the journey, but in the first stanza, it was made fairly clear that Oy had to be left behind.

As far as I remember, Jake enters the door at the end of the stanza. I remember Oy barking, but nothing else until Callahan hears Jake screaming at him to look out as a taxi is about to run him down.

Thoughts?

Brainslinger
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I was asking myself this question while reading the "Jake and Callahan" stanza.

I'm not questioning his presence because as a member of the ka-tet it made sense that he accompany Jake on his part of the journey, but in the first stanza, it was made fairly clear that Oy had to be left behind.

It was the ka-tet decision to leave him behind as they reasoned a Bumbler would stick out in New York. Ka obviously had other plans.

As far as I remember, Jake enters the door at the end of the stanza. I remember Oy barking, but nothing else until Callahan hears Jake screaming at him to look out as a taxi is about to run him down.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking how he got through the door? He was blown through along with Jake and Callahan. There is a comical bit where the book states something furry flying through the air 'Barking like a mother-"

As to the thread question how did he survive, the impact wasn't hard enough to kill him any more than it was Jake and Callahan. But then he had the close run in with the taxi, which you mentioned.

Tony_A
07-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Brainslinger,

After reading your reply, I realized I had a major brain fart. Suffice it to say I was thinking about something totally different and you set me straight. I feel like the south end of a north-bound mule right now.

Brainslinger
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Heh, don't feel bad. We all do that sometimes.

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
actually, i found myself questioning the same thing during this reread. since we know what going through the doors does to the humans, i was wondering what effect it would have had on oy. if any.