PDA

View Full Version : The Drawing of the Three Q&A *spoilers

sarah
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
The Drawing of the Three. I couldn't get my hands on this book fast enough. I loved every minute of it. It starts of with my beloved Gunslinger, Roland, losing his fingers on his right fucking hand. I was absolutely shocked and angry with Stephen King for doing that. But I soon got over it, and I was absorbed in The Drawing of the Three.

What was your favorite moment of this book?

What did you first think Roland was going to do with Eddie?

Did you wonder how in the world Stephen King was going to get Detta/Odetta across the desert without any legs?

Who was your favorite minor character?

What surprised you the most about this book?

Besides fighting naked, what was the coolest thing about Eddie?

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book?

sarah
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Well this book is hands down amazing and picking one thing is super hard. I would have to make mention of the naked fighting and of course the death of Mort. That fucking bastard. <_<

Also, I loved how quickly Roland learned how to load and unload his gun single handed with his left hand just as fast as he could with his right.

I wasn't sure actually. I couldn't believe it really. After the airplane ride, I thought Roland would just take over and discard the body to the lobsters. But, when Roland helped Eddie with the coke and Eddie helped Roland by feeding him and getting him aspirin, I thought Eddie would most likely stick around a bit.

Did you wonder how in the world Stephen King was going to get Detta/Odetta across the desert without any legs?

Seriously, at first I thought SK was crazy, for writing in a person who would obviously help them along the way, be in a wheelchair. It just seemed to difficult to keep up. boy was I wrong. Susuannah proved to be tough as nails and put together. And bless her, you gotta love Detta for putting up one hell of a fight. :lol:

First of all, fuck gretta shaw. Second, I would have to say Old Double Ugly makes some pretty funny remarks and sure as shit gets his ass handed to him on a plate....or something like that. :lol:

Eddie. He turned out to be amazing. He dragged Roland's sick ass across the desert and fell in love with Odetta and helped her to become his beloved susannah.

Everything else. That boy rocked this book hands down, imo. He dragged Roland around. saved him plenty of times and helped him get well by providing the right information for him to get antibiotics. good on ya, eddie.

Honestly, I can't think of a thing.

Brice
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
The Drawing of the Three. I couldn't get my hands on this book fast enough. I loved every minute of it. It starts of with my beloved Gunslinger, Roland, losing his fingers on his right fucking hand. I was absolutely shocked and angry with Stephen King for doing that. But I soon got over it, and I was absorbed in The Drawing of the Three.

I was completely absorbed too. It's hard to pick a favorite moment. I'd say Edddie and Roland fighting at Balazar's.

Kidnap him. Which is basically what he did at first. I just wasn't sure why.

Nope, it didn't even occur to me to wonder when I first read it. I was too caught up in the story.

Balazar

The trivial pursuit question that actually had Johnny Cash as the correct answer. :rofl:

His love for odetta.

There wasn't any.

sarah
07-02-2008, 11:31 PM

The trivial pursuit question that actually had Johnny Cash as the correct answer. :rofl:

:rofl: yeah, that was pretty hilarious in a not so hilarious way but I still laughed.

Brice
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I laugh EVERY time I read it. :lol:

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 11:34 PM

The entire book. One part is not better than the rest....well, maybe the shootout. :)

I had no idea! I guess I thought he was going to kidnap or kill him.

No. :lol: I don't remember thinking that, though it would make sense for it to cross my mind.

Old Double Ugly for sure. :)

The creation of Susannah. I was confused, surprised and a little wary about the idea that Susannah became the 3rd person drawn. I'm glad we had DT3 to see the real third. :)

Eddie was hysterical and I felt early on that he and Roland would become friends. I believe you can go here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=809) for more.

Only that it ended and I had to wait for more. This was the book that really made me a DT Junkie!.

Jean
07-03-2008, 12:55 AM

all of it. If I had to choose only one, it would be Roland in Mort's body in New York.

I thought very much what actually happened afterwards: that he will draw him, - I didn't try to guess which way - and they will eventually become friends.

No. I had had a long King experience by that time and knew he would find a way.

Mort

That such a brilliant, wonderful, amazing book could be writted as a continuation of the horrid, hideous Gunslinger!!!

the steel that was mentioned so often. He could have just curled up and died, and let Roland die, too, but he didn't.

I was bored by everything directly drug-related.

jayson
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Great thread Sarah :)

All of the stuff in NYC. I love and miss NYC and was glad it played such a major role in this book during several different time periods.

I figured he would somehow bring him into his world, I just wasn't sure exactly how that was going to happen.

Nope. If Roland could get Odetta into his world, he could get her across the desert.

Mort. He's one of King's intriguing villains. I enjoyed reading the parts of Roland being inside Mort's body/mind.

Eddie's ability to fight. Surprising in a good way. I thought Roland would have to do most of the shooting at Balazar's but Eddie proved himself early.

he just felt like a genuine New Yorker to me and i mean that as high praise.

none of it. i've always loved every last bit of this book[/QUOTE]

Darkthoughts
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
When Mort was killed and Odetta was thus avenged - I was so thirsty for that man's blood!

I wasn't sure Roland would tolerate him for long, but it seemed clear there was more to Eddie than met the eye.

:lol: No - I don't "think" much when I read a book for the first time - I just sort of absorb and visualise it, its not until I've put it down that I start thinking about the hows and whys.

Blaine - man, what a cliff hanger!!

How obsessed I became after reading it.

Everything! I love his humour, its so inappropriate and random and betrays a more sensitive person underneath...so, the depth of his character I guess.

Really can't think of a thing!

fernandito
07-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Roland high jacking Mort's body and using it to fulfill his own agenda.

Use him in some form or another, which he basically did.

Didn't really give it much thought.

Andolini. I loved the exchanges between him and Eddie prior to the latter's drawing.

The copious amount of racial slurs/references.

That he managed to single-handedly keep Roland alive, and of course - the wise cracks :D

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book:

As with The Gunslinger, I enjoyed every page of this book.

sarah
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Blaine (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=739) - man, what a cliff hanger!!

daggers, :lol:, that was The Wastelands. ;)

MonteGss
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Blaine (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=739) - man, what a cliff hanger!!

daggers, :lol:, that was The Wastelands. ;)

Jeez! She's in charge of Towerpedia...? :unsure:
:lol:

*edit* I think that was Lisa, not Daggers.
Regardless...I'm not sure Lisa is who we want writing our Tower connections/wiki articles. :lol:

sarah
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
:doh: I did mean darkers.

_Sphynx_
07-03-2008, 09:26 PM
What was your favorite moment of this book? Probably when Andolini got devoured by the lobstrosities. :ninja:
ninja edit: Crap, I forgot about Mort. I take back the Andolini bit, the entire time Roland is in Mort's mind is my favourite. Damn that was nice.

What did you first think Roland was going to do with Eddie? Probably use him as a bargainning chip of some sort. Up until that point, I wasn't aware that Roland had any compassion anymore.

Did you wonder how in the world Stephen King was going to get Detta/Odetta across the desert without any legs? Not really, but I don't tend to think ahead like that. Once I get into a book, I'm just taken along for the ride.

Who was your favorite minor character? Aaron Deepneau all the way. I have no idea, I just love this guy to death.

What surprised you the most about this book? When I first read it, I think it was that Roland actually was much deeper than the walking gun he was in the first book.

Besides fighting naked, what was the coolest thing about Eddie? What's not cool about him? Ok, ok, I'd have to say just the way he handled himself when the shit hit the fan the many times that it did, for him.

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book? Susannah. Bleh, I can't stand her.

Also, fun fact, The Drawing of The Three is my favourite book in the series. It's just so much fun.

Spencer
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Roland's speech to Eddie at the end, followed closely by Roland's orgasms over the Pepsi and the availibility of bullets.

Use him however he felt he needed to. You could always tell that Roland was practical.

Nope. She had a wheelchair.

Mr. Katz

How short it was.

His sense of humor has always been the coolest thing. He lived to entertain himself.

That Detta never got to have a shootout with a tribe of Honk Mafahs.

Letti
07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
When Roland realises that he wants to love (as he is watching Eddie and Susannah hugging on the beach).

It was such a long time ago so it's not easy to remember but I was sure Eddie would be used like a tool.

I had no time to wonder about it just after I finished the book.

I will come back to find out this one.

The way Eddie's brother died. I was shocked. And the way Eddie handled it... that was something.
And that Mort got killed. It was hard to accept that he wasn't the third.

That he could stand and be true from the beginning.

I loved every letter of it.

Darkthoughts
07-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Regardless...I'm not sure Lisa is who we want writing our Tower connections/wiki articles. :lol:
:lol:!!!

I'll go for Mort then :blush:

Spencer
07-05-2008, 08:06 AM
:lol:!!!

I'll go for Mort then :blush:

It's not just you. There's other folks in this thread mistaking characters and events from Book 3 as having taken place in this book, which is horrifying to me, because, while I consider "The Drawing of the Three" to be the best fiction book I've ever read, I also consider "The Wastelands" to be one of the worst books King has ever written. :doh:

MonteGss
07-05-2008, 08:50 AM
I also consider "The Wastelands" to be one of the worst books King has ever written. :doh:

Wow. :(

William50
07-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I also consider "The Wastelands" to be one of the worst books King has ever written. :doh:

Wow. :(

What? I loved the Wastelands and I thought it was a great book. :orely:

Jean
07-05-2008, 10:13 AM
yes... I, too thought it was one of the best... very high on my list of all King books, and rather high on that of all books ever written by anyone...

jayson
07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
yes... I, too thought it was one of the best... very high on my list of all King books, and rather high on that of all books ever written by anyone...

as usual, i agree with the bear. Waste Lands is high on my list of all-time fav books by any author. of all the DT books it's prob the one i've re-read the most. for a long time it was the last one and i re-read it over and over again waiting for the day a book 4 would be written.

mia/susannah
07-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Roland and Eddie on the plane. Also the shootout at Balazars

As silly as this may sound, I thought Roland was just going to use Eddies body to see what was going on around Eddie at the time. But then he drew Eddie into his world.

I kinda figured either Eddie or Roland would have to carry her

Mort

How Roland was able to draw Eddie and Susannah into his world like he did

His sarcasm and wit, and being great under pressure which actually surprized me

The part where Eddie was a drug mule

Girlystevedave
07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Roland using Mort...every bit of that was awesome.

Honestly, I had no idea where the story was going. There were too many possibilities. I just figured he'd use him for something.

I didn't give it much thought other than wishing she would have stopped being such a difficult b*tch.

Mort, because he tied so much together. F'n sicko.

I think almost every part of this book was a surprise. If I picked one thing, I guess Eddie fighting naked was pretty out of the norm. :lol:

His wise-cracks and his dedication to his brother.

Although it was perfect for her to be this way, Detta was f'n annoying. I hated when she would show up, making Eddie feel like crap over and over.

Woofer
07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
When Roland was operating the Mort machine. ;)

Pull him into Roland's world.

I wondered if she would have legs in Roland's world, but I believed the wheelchair would come across with her if not.

All of them!

Eddie. He turned out to be amazing. He dragged Roland's sick ass across the desert and fell in love with Odetta and helped her to become his beloved susannah.

Besides fighting naked, what was the coolest thing about Eddie?Everything else. That boy rocked this book hands down, imo. He dragged Roland around. saved him plenty of times and helped him get well by providing the right information for him to get antibiotics. good on ya, eddie.

^Agreed 100%!

Hrm. Not real fond of Odetta/Detta, but other than that... nothing.

Ka-tet
07-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Any part that included both Roland and Eddie.

I had no idea, thats why it was so enjoyable.

No.

Balazar

Not sure really :/

Everything about him is cool.

What part bugged you or that you didn't like about this book:
Enjoyed the whole book.

Spencer
07-11-2008, 07:37 PM

as usual, i agree with the bear. Waste Lands is high on my list of all-time fav books by any author. of all the DT books it's prob the one i've re-read the most. for a long time it was the last one and i re-read it over and over again waiting for the day a book 4 would be written.

I totally understand I'm in the minority on this. I know lots of people who consider The Wastelands their favorite DT book, I'll just never understand why. :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
okay, this is just so wrong but i love the lobstrosities. just love them. the description of them tumbling out of the waves. how they talk. everything about them.

i really thought eddie was going to be some kind of sacrifice. after what happened in the gunslinger, how could i not?

nope. they had a wheelchair.

odetta's driver andrew. when he says that he heard jfk was the last gunslinger and is so hurt by odetta's response i really felt for him. plus, you could tell how much he cared about her.

it's depth. for a book set in the desert, based around finding doors in that desert, it's surprisingly complex and rich. i was amazed at how quickly it drew me in, how quickly i came to care about the characters, how very badly i wanted to know what was going to happen next. i read it in one sitting.

his mouth. that eddie, he always has a comeback. always. i love that about him.

that odetta/detta was described as schizophrenic. even back then he should have known the diagnosis "multiple personality disorder". schizophrenia is a totally different disorder. i know it's a petty little thing but it really bothers me.

obscurejude
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
that odetta/detta was described as schizophrenic. even back then he should have known the diagnosis "multiple personality disorder". schizophrenia is a totally different disorder. i know it's a petty little thing but it really bothers me.

That really bugged me too, a lot actually. I kind of wish she would have been schizo, it would have made things simpler. Eddie could have just gotten some Thorazine and injected her and dragged her down the beach.

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 07:21 PM
finally, someone else knows wtf i'm talking about. everyone else i've mentioned this to looks at me like "huh? what are you babbling about crazy lady?" have i mentioned that i love you ryan? :wub: :couple:

obscurejude
07-13-2008, 07:36 PM
:wub: :couple:

Jean
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
it's depth. for a book set in the desert, based around finding doors in that desert, it's surprisingly complex and rich. i was amazed at how quickly it drew me in, how quickly i came to care about the characters, how very badly i wanted to know what was going to happen next. i read it in one sitting.
hear, hear!

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Roland in the sky-carriage then using Mort and killing him in the same way that Mort disfigured Susannah.

With the whole monkey on the back imagery from The Gunslinger, I figured he'd be drawn. After that, I wasn't sure and didn't care as long as he stuck around.

Never once.

It's a tossup between Andolini and the stewardess that spotted the difference between Eddie and Roland. I guess it's probably Andolini.

Henry's head being lobbed into the room.

His smartassery and the toughness that is in him. It's a sort of hesitant toughness and I like that.

Not a single thing.

Tony_A
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM

The gunfight and Andolini getting eaten by the lobstrosities

Sacrifice him for the tower liek he did to Jake

No

Andolini. Every time I think about him, I picture him screaming as he is devoured by the lobstrosities.

That I was able to read this as quickly as I did given the scope of the book.

His wit.

Nothing

kevo503
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
My favorite moment is the fight between Roland, Eddie, and Balazar. I thought it was funny that Eddie was naked the whole time.

I wasn't sure what Roland was goint to do with Eddie, you never can tell when Stephen King is writing.

I never really wondered how she would get across the desert, I thought Roland would eventually kill her for being such a bitch.

My favorite minor character was probably Eddie's brother.

I was surprised when Roland lost his fingers on his good hand, I thought it would be the end of his shooting days.

I liked how his character totally did a 180. He wanted to kill Roland at first, but at the end, he wanted to join him in his quest for The Dark Tower.

I didn't (and still don't) like Detta/Odetta/Susannah. I think another male character would have been better than her.

FlyingHellfish
08-18-2008, 12:10 PM
My First Post. Finished TDoT last night.

Gunfight at Balazer's

Draw his aura like Ralph did in Insomnia. I finished Insomnia last month. Insomnia led me to the DT.

I thought King would have Eddie make some sort of stretcher for Odetta

The Lobstrosities

The Eddie/Odetta love story. I didn't see that coming

He's a wise-ass

Great book.

Matt
08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
The minor character answer is great!!

I totally agree. Welcome to the path of the beam FlyingHellfish

(wasn't that the name of Grandpa Simpson's old army unit? :lol:)

FlyingHellfish
08-19-2008, 05:01 AM
It was indeed Grandpa Simpson's Army Unit.

disintegration
10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
The part when Roland enters Jack Mort's body and goes in search for ammunition and medicine, and kills Jack Mort.

Recruit him in the journey for the Tower.

I knew he would be able to come up with a solution, though I knew it would be difficult.

Balazar

The whole shootout scene at Balazar's. More specifically Eddie fighting naked and when Henry was decapitated. It was a memorable scene.

How he rebelled against Roland's plans. How all he wanted to do was eat a good meal and get a fix. I thought he was hilarious and messed up, but rightfully so after the shootout at Balazar's.

I thought the whole Odetta backstory chapter was slow and kinda boring, but it picked up after that, but that was my least favorite part of the book and I struggled to get through it.

Whitey Appleseed
12-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Looking at the world through the eyes of someone else. Reminds me of looking in a mirror, the weird sensation you get, uncomfortable.

Didn't have a clue, really. Enjoyed it though. I like how Eddie didn't have a clue that Roland was there. My kind of guy, a rebel without a clue.

Probably at some point, maybe the same point Detta dumped Eddie on his face on the beach.

Dennis and Thomas. Cause I don't have a clue who they are.

Bunch of stuff that happens. Passing from one world to another. Mort. Detta. That moment when Roland says I do want to love.

Even in a tight situation, he can be flippant, doesn't seem to allow most things bother him.

That I can't get a handle on this twins thing I'm wondering about, Roland/Jake, Eddie/Roland, Roland/Walter, Detta/Odetta, waterbags/dopebags...

Anastasia
03-05-2009, 04:59 AM
When Roland was in Eddie’s body and the way how he behaved and reacted while being in our world in general.

Well, it was almost obvious he would use him somehow. However, at first I really doubted that someone like Eddie would be of any help.

Yes, at first I was a bit surprised by that. However, it didn’t turn into any problem at all.

First, when those sea creatures chopped Roland’s fingers. I was like ‘too early! It’s just the second book, how will he manage to be without them?!’
That there was only Eddie and Susannah and no third person. I was surprised that Mort was the third and that he obviously wouldn’t be drawn.

All that Detta/Odetta/Susannah thing…especially Detta. She was so annoying and I was waiting when Roland would finally do something about it.

candy
06-13-2009, 03:38 AM

does all of it count? if i have to i would point to roland entering eddie mind in the plane - sheer genius

Intial thoughts were he would take over eddie's body and take it back to mid world and the beach due to his own being riddled with infection.

i never actually thought about it, at that point i was just going with the flow - thinking about it after i thought it was amazing that Sai king brought this richness and diversity to his story.

The Lobstrosities - got to agree with this. without them the whole DoTT would have been a different story.

that is was so different from the gunslinger, it literally picked me up and swept me along, i dont think i stopped reading at anypoint till i finished

i loved mr dean and everything about him was cool, but to state one point would be his being able to adapt so damn fast - and with a joke on his lips at that

the end, i didn't want it to

yesterday's_eyes
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Roland in Mort's body.

Umm I really never thought too far ahead. I figured that they would end up going towards the same goal I suppose.

No, I knew he would find a way.

Mort

Roland losing his fingers.

The humor he added.

Detta

shuabert
03-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Roland's culture shock during all the moments where he is possessing someone else's body and the humorous translation between the language of his culture and the language of NYC.

I assumed he would keep him around for the journey to the tower because he had no other choice.

Yes. A bold and interesting choice in writing the character that way.

Mort. The idea of "the pusher" and his motivations were fascinating in a morbid way.

1) That Stephen King was successfully able to write an inter-racial love scene involving a disabled woman without it seeming forced or gimmicky.
2) That the book opened with Roland losing two of his fingers. I thought for sure it was a dream!

That despite his being a junkie and a weasel he displayed surprising devotion to the people he cared about.

I found the jumping to different time periods while possessing Mort, as well as the final showdown in which Detta/Odetta see each other and become Susanna, to be slightly awkward.

beam*seeker
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM

Top five moments:
Shoot out at the pharmacy to get the Keflex.
Roland framing the tool at the pawn shop to get access to ammo for his guns.
Lobstrosities being turned into dinner but Detta refusing to eat them.
Roland going nuts for tooderfish sandwiches and Pepsi.
Detta shoplifting and breaking her ForSpecial plates.

I sort of thought he would stay in Earth Prime and Roland would just use him like a puppet to get stuff done.

Wheelchair.

Henry.

That Jake wasn't the third one "drawn" and actually it was Mort's body that Roland entered last. I was pretty surprised when Roland lost his fingers too.

Crackin' wise.

I did not like how Detta spoke in such a stereotyped manner. The confusion between schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder was bothersome also, and that was a bit sterotyped as well.

mtdman
06-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Roland in the gun shop and how he used the cops to get the ammo.

Use him to get the food/medicine he needed. Didn't expect him to drawn him through the door.

No, she had a wheel chair after all

Balazar. I like mobsters.

It was far more entertaining and action packed than Gunslinger and Roland was more likeable.

His wit and levity.

I did not like the Odetta/Detta stuff. For some reason it just bugs me, and I don't like the whole Detta being a pain in the butt thing, and the honey mo fo's, etc. This last time I listened to it I skipped over that part since I've heard it about 6 times now. Although I do like Susannah's character going forward in the series.

DotT is my 2nd favorite book in the series, behind Wastelands.