PDA

View Full Version : The Gunslinger Q&A *spoilers

sarah
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
The Gunslinger. We are first introduced to Roland following the man in black across the desert. We were hooked. I know I just love Roland. He is my favorite character in the whole series, and yes I do love them all, but it started with Roland and The Gunslinger.

What was your favorite moment in The Gunslinger?

Who is your favorite minor character in The Gunslinger?

What bugged you the most about this book?

What surprised you most about this book?

At that moment, would you have let jake drop?

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?

sarah
07-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Roland telling Jake about his Test.

David. he knew what he was getting into and he still did it for Roland.

Also, Marten egging Roland on was good reading.

ok and I also loved Cort. I mean how could you not just love Cort?

Honestly, I can't think of one thing I didn't like. The book is fast paced and fulfilling.

Roland taking everyone down in Tull. I didn't see it coming and I was absorbed in the telling of the tale. He really did take those people out and I was hooked.

No. I could've never let Jake drop. BUT....I see how Roland could. He never really let himself truly love Jake because he knew he would eventually be sacrificed.

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert?

Imo, the dark. I don't think I would have lasted in the dark that long.

EDIT:

I'm throwing in a FUCK GRETTA SHAW for good measure. :)

Brice
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
The Gunslinger. We are first introduced to Roland following the man in black across the desert. We were hooked. I know I just love Roland. He is my favorite character in the whole series, and yes I do love them all, but it started with Roland and The Gunslinger.

This is nearly impossible for me to answer. I loved every word, every second of the book each time I read it. However, if I must pick a favorite moment it is when Roland palavers with Walter.

I think that would be Allie.

That it was revised. :lol:

When I first picked it up it seemed it would be a western. I generally don't like westerns. So I was surprised I liked it and I was surprised that it very much wasn't what I expected.

Yup!

The desert

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Roland's manhood test...super-cool.

Cort and Marten.

Because I was rather young, the first time I read it it bugged me (and intrigued me) that I wasn't sure about its timeframe and location as it had so many hints about our world.

That is wasn't a King horror book and that I liked it.

I think even early on, I wanted to see the Tower too so I believed Roland's gut that dropping him was the way to get there. Yes.

The desert would suck but I think I'd probably need to pee if I was traveling in the pitch dark with creepy noises about me. When the slow muties came out, I'd probably not have to pee anymore, I would have just needed a change of pants.

Cool idea maerlyn dear! :)

sarah
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah, monte, I'm with you and the mountains. eeek those fucking mutants would have freaked me out. misery.

Jean
07-03-2008, 12:46 AM

hypnotized Jake telling about his life and death in New York

Hax

Everything. I would have dropped it if I'd had access to any other book at the moment.

that King wrote it

at the moment of my first readint it, I couldn't relate to any of the characters, so the question didn't arise. Now, as I argued elsewhere, the answer is no. I'd rather let the Tower fall and the universe go to dogs (my main argument was that a universe which demands that its saviors sacrifice children doesn't deserve to be saved)

desert!!!
::fanning himself with all four paws::

Nerak
07-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Roland's man-hood test, no matter how many times I have read it, it's always my fav

David, Allie (poor Allie) and Brown

not a thing

That it was written by such a young man

NO WAY IN HELL, I understand why Roland did it, it was the quest, but I couldn't have let him fall.

Mountains, I am soooo afraid of the dark!!! :scared:

Girlystevedave
07-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Great idea for a thread!...I'm gonna do some thinking on this one.

fernandito
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't you just love Maer's enthusiasm? :wub:

I'll reply to this and the DoTT thread when I get home :)

Jean
07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Don't you just love Maer 's enthusiasm? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

(fixed that for you Feverish)

fernandito
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that looks better :D

Darkthoughts
07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Hmm, there are quite a few, I appreciate the book more each time I reread it. I love the stuff with Sylvia, I like the flashbacks to Gilead and Jake's flashbacks, I was really interested when Roland spoke with the demon in the speaking circle and the palaver with the Man In Black was very mythic.

Sylvia I reckon. She was utterly deluded but at the same time very powerful, that interested me.

Well, first time I read it - everything! The way it was written, by which I mean the style, was so alien for a SK book I couldn't really get into it and forced myself to read on because I'd been promised that DotT was awesome.

Now though, I'm not sure theres anything.

That it would be richer when you returned to it.

Not if I was dying of thirst and the Man In Black had the last pint of beer in the world!

It'd be the heat for me. I can't stand to be out in the sun - I'd much rather admire it from a cool, shady spot.

Nice one Maer :clap:

fernandito
07-03-2008, 02:55 PM

I think I'll go with Tull! :D (surprise?) It's one of the most intense scenes I've read from any book, ever.

David. The fact that Roland regarded him so highly (with the shooting the sky in memory of him and such) only helps to reinforce this.

Nothing, I loved it all - from beginning to end.

I have to echo what Jean said - that King is the author.

Without hesitation - it's not easy to let go of an obsession that has been pursued for so long, especially if my inner clockwork functions the way Roland's does.

The heated desert. I don't mind pitch black darkness, but I can't stand the heat.

KA DINH
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
the opening chapter with that description of roland and his guns!

cort, because he was such a merciless bastard in their teaching.it paid off!

Nothing except the end i did not want it to stop

that when i first read it i became hooked like a crackhead

roland does so because that was fate, jake said there are other worlds than these.

they both sound like loads of fun if your a masochist, but i would have to say the dark

Spencer
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
the blade of grass dream thing

David

It seemed very choppy, but that's to be expected since it was originally 5 short stories.

That Roland believed any of what Walter told him.

If I was Roland, definitely.

I have no idea, and hope I never find out.

Letti
07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
All the lines where I could feel that Roland did love Jake. It was good to see that my gunslinger can have feelings.

Allie

That King revised it. Thereis nothing else I can think about.

My feelings. I got hooked on it so much. I was just 12 years old at that time and it was so good to fall in love with a series.

I feel I wouldn't.

Desert. Hands down.

jayson
07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Roland's manhood test. My fav parts of the series are the glimpses of Roland's world as it was. This was a big glimpse into that. It was also a good look at exactly what Roland will do to win. After David, I was never shocked at Roland's willingness to sacrifice others for the Tower. It was the ultimate choice of weapon and a choice Roland made again and again.

Allie. She seemed to me like the kind of character you'd find in a Tom Waits song [and that's about as high praise as I can give something].

The revision. I found it unnecessary, and I typically re-read the original.
Other than that, nothing. I loved this book from the first time I read it and I never do understand what others don't see in it.

Jake's story. The first time I read the book I couldn't believe this kid in the middle of the desert was a dead kid from NYC. I thought that was the coolest thing ever and Jake has been my favorite character from the first time I heard his story.

I'd love to say no, but I can't. Not if I were Roland.

"The heat, my god the heat." - Elaine Benes, Seinfeld

I'd have been ok with the journey under the mountains, but I don't do well in the heat.

mia/susannah
07-04-2008, 08:04 PM

I would have to say Rolands manhood test and the way that David fought for Roland

Cort

Nothing

That it was a Stephen King book. It is not a horror book and I got hooked on it anyways

No, I could not have let Jake fall no matter what happened

Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert

Without a doubt, the dark under the mountains with the mutants. I can stand the heat but the mutants and dark like that would really scare the pants off me

Girlystevedave
07-07-2008, 02:02 PM

When Walter shows Roland the complexity of the universe. I can, and do, read that over and over at times.

I'd have to say Cort. Reading this book for the first time, I think it was good to show a kind of explanation as to what a gunslinger was exactly, and what was to be expected of them. The trial with Cort definitely summed things up.

While I can't say I'd change the story, the people of Tull and their stupidity annoyed me.

I' have to agree with the others that said it was surprising that King wrote it.

At that moment, would you have let Jake drop?

I wish I could answe no, but I'm sure that I would have been so wrapped up in my quest, just like Roland, that I would have let him fall.

The desert! The parts with Roland nearing exhaustion felt way too real to me. When he kept playing the nursery rhyme over and over in his mind...**shudders**
I've passed out from heat stroke before, and I can say: I'd much rather dare the dark any day.

Woofer
07-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Roland's childhood and meeting Cuthbert.

Cuthbert! I was truly drawn to him from the first reading.

That Roland didn't leave Tull when he knew he should.

How different the style was from King's other works.

Probably not, but if I were Roland then...

The desert. Heat sucks (says the wolf in Florida).

Ka-tet
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Roland-Walter palaver

Zoltan

Nothing i can imediately think of.

Roland not killing the man in black.

Not a question i am able to answer.

The dark. Although the heat would have been horrible almost unbearable.

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 06:19 PM
jake discovering roland passed out in the way station and putting hay under his head.

david, the hawk.

roland dropping jake; all of roland's actions in tull

that sai king could write someone that he clearly intended to be a hero as such an anti-hero

not for anything.

definitely the heat/desert. at least in the dark under the mountains they were together, and it was cool.

eta: greta took very good care of jake. so there! :)

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
The first line, as well as the description of Roland. Mostly that first line. I'd been dragging my heels when it came to starting this book and that first line was so simple, so enigmatic. Never has one sentence so fully mesmerized me.

Probably David or Cort.

I can't really think of anything that bugged me.

The palaver and Walter's explanation of God and all the universes. I wasn't expecting that sort of thing from Stephen King at all. I guess you could say that my big surprise was that it's an SK book but that bit of palaver was what so unexpected from him.

No. Jake is my all-time favorite.

The dark under the mountains. I'm a little bit afraid of the dark (even at 26!)

Tony_A
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Roland's test

Cort

Not one thing

That Roland let Jake drop.

No. He came to love him, and that's something I'd never do to someone I loved.

I'm not a big fan of extreme heat, so I'll have to go with the desert.

fx12345
07-31-2008, 07:57 AM
I would have to say that it was the manhood test. In my opinion, it was the best fight scene in the book.

I liked David and Cort a lot but my absolute favorite character would be Cuthbert because I have so much in common with him.

I liked pretty much everything about the book and I can't truthfully think of anything I'd like to change.

I was most surprised about the profound speech Walter made about the universe at the end of the book.

Well, considering that before he fell, he said there were other worlds than this before he fell, I would probably let him drop.

I would say the desert was worse. I would much rather go in the damp, dark cave with the slow mutants than in the seering hot, heat with scorpions, lobstrocities, and God knows what else.

BillyxRansom
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Tull or the final test. Can't decide.

I think Allie.

Honestly... *sigh* ...Iamgoingtogetsuchshitforthis... Jake's entrance into the gunslinger's world.
For the longest time, I wanted the focus of the story to JUST be on the gunslinger's world, no mention of the "real" world at all. I like reading stories that are set in other worlds, I just do.

The gunslinger dropping Jake.

No. Never.

Dark mountains. It just felt more eerie to me. I could feel that darkness myself, and I didn't like it.

FlyingHellfish
08-19-2008, 11:34 AM
The final test

Cort

Nothing

That its only 300 pages

Yes - I've been hunting/tracking the Man In Black for years, see ya Jake

Traveling in the dark under the mountains. In the desert you can see what's coming.

disintegration
10-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Tull
Brown or Allie
When Jake died
The end
If I knew I could get him back, otherwise I don't think I could
Which was worse....Traveling in the dark under the mountains or traveling in the heat across the desert? Under the mountains.

Whitey Appleseed
12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Probably when Roland and Jake are trying to get away from the Slow Mutants.

Brown. Your dinner's ready. Your mule passed away. Just some poor fool out there in the desert, growing corn. And his pet, Zoltan.

I had trouble understanding the placement of Walter's speech, or the need for it, for that matter. I'm reading original for the first time. Maybe I'll see that in a new light.

I think the style of writing, simple, concise, to the point. Nothing extra, no more, no less.

How can I answer that honestly? I dunno, if I had, I think I would have followed him. Tough call. Can I hang onto him and still go on? Turned out okay, didn't it?

In the dark. All that unknown. Course, when I was out west a few years back, all that big open, there was all that unknown out there. Wanted to stop the car and climb the nearest hill, like maybe there was a party going on just over the rise, and I was missin' out.

razz
12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Palaver in the Golgotha

Allie.

there were a few places i missed things, and I'd find a reference to it, and was thinking WTF?!
Seriously, the first time i read it, i had no clue why the people of Tull attacked Roland. i didn't know that Allie died.

that it was awesome. I heard about the series from a friend who said it sucked.

possibly. I didn't like The Gunslinger's Jake.

Hot desert. I hate the heat.

pickle
12-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Rolland fighting in Tull

Zoltan and his owner

Not a real lot of action

That i eventualy liked it, it took me 3 trys over the years to read it

Nope

Under the mountains, i dont like the dark.

Letti
12-21-2008, 03:22 PM
That i eventualy liked it, it took me 3 trys over the years to read it

Wow, and why did you try it again and again? What was the thing that didn't let you close it forever?

pickle
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Originaly i tried to read the book, but only got 1/4 of the way through it then left it alone for a few years. I then went on to read the DoT3, missing out the Gunslinger all together. The problem i had was that after i read that book, i felt that something was missing, there was parts i didnt understand. So i left the series compleatly for a few more years.

The about 6 weeks ago i picked up the series again and started from the begining and absolutly loved it. Im now about to start book 7 and cant wait to see how it ends.

K.J.J.
12-23-2008, 03:26 AM

I would have to say the opening lines. They captured me straight away. I was lifted off into a knew world that I haven't dared thought of leaving any time soon!

Probably Sheb! He was quite the character. Little did I know he had a larger role in Roland's story though! I was very glad to see his story extended.
Zoltan comes in second place though. That bird was just unforgettable. His name is utterly hilarious also!

The fact that it ended and I didn't have a copy of the Drawing of the Three until the following Tuesday! (I finished it on a Thursday!)

That Roland let Jake drop!! :scared: I totally did not see that coming, I was expecting Jake to have a much larger role in Roland's quest for the tower then only a few dozen pages!

Little did I know I was right (:

I have to say yes. It would haunt me for the rest of my life, but I realized if I was in that situation, and my doorway to the tower was about to shut if I took the time to save this kid, I would have HAD to let the poor soul fall to his death.

Definatly the the desert. After all, it was the apotheosis of ALL deserts. I can't stand the heat, and just imagining being trapped in that massive sandbox, with the hills on the horizon just standing there teasing me... I don't know if i would have made it out alive!

dotKay
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The palaver at the end

Jake

I'm read it in English (not my first language) so i had some trouble with landscape descriptions and i was kinda confused with the whole walter-marten-man in black thing...

That it wasn't as difficult to read as i thought it would be.

No way. But i think i can see why Roland did.

I can't stand the heat, but i think it would be worst to be in the darkness, hearing noises, not knowing what's ahead.

yesterday's_eyes
08-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Roland winning his guns.

Cort

The whole Tull thing.

Roland dropping jake.

No.

Heat

keyframe
08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
The end of Tull

I liked the priest lady in Tull,she was pretty intense.

Nothing at all.

How quick Roland was to smoke everybody in Tull...he probably could have escaped, but he just mowed em' down.:cowboy:

Yes...especially after Jake said there were other worlds than these.

Desert would be worse by far.

Delacroix
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM

=> The note left to Allie by Marten about what's after death. I just loved this idea of a somehow perfect trap. In the same time you feel that she will say it, she will no matter what happens. On the other hand you don't know when. Marten doesn't when either...and he doesn't care! I love this sooo nasty way of joking. He's just happy to know that the shithole will eventuelly blow up. I pictured it very very well.

=> When he meets Jake for the first time, and when he saves him from the succubus in the mountains.

=> Cuthbert and Marten, I have a thing with jokers...

=> The ending...after all that, after Jake died, just "let's talk and 10 years will pass by". I was really bothered.

=> Nothing and everything. That's what I love. Its a real tragedy, you know what's happening and you can just watch it. You know what is going to happen in Tull and with Jake. Yet, seing it properly is always surprising because of course no details are
forseen.

=> NO, never in my life I could let a child fall to his death. I would have protected Jake at any cost. => My heart

=> Well, what was to happen next? We both survive in this world with nothing to go on with? We watch the world collapse as we get old with nothing more than each other? Of course I would have let him fall all the way down the pit. => My head

=> The two choices are both the opposite extreme of each other. I really have no idea.

sofaki
11-26-2009, 04:51 AM
The final test

Allie

The death of Jake. Totally unxpected!!

The end

Yeah, it was essential in order to reach the man in black.

Under the mountains. Darkness creeps me out.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM

The end, when the Man in Black shows Roland so many things he can't understand. I also really liked the part with the Oracle. It was also very mysterious and a kind of riddle in its own way.

Cuthbert.

I wondered why the Man in Black would kill Jake in his world to put him in the desert where he'd meet Roland. I still don't understand why, since at this point in the story, Roland has no trouble killing kids like during the battle in Tull but the Man in Black thought Roland'd come to love Jake. How did he predict that? Why did it work? That really puzzled me.

That Roland was aroused by Sylvia Pittson. I really didn't get it even after rereading it so many times.

I really can't say. I resented Roland a lot for doing it but I don't know what I would have done if I had to choose between being given the chance of a lifetime to know what everything is about and taking care of a child I'd have come to love. It's a really tough choice to make.

In the heat across the desert.

Delacroix
12-02-2009, 05:19 AM
I wondered why the Man in Black would kill Jake in his world to put him in the desert where he'd meet Roland. I still don't understand why, since at this point in the story, Roland has no trouble killing kids like during the battle in Tull but the Man in Black thought Roland'd come to love Jake. How did he predict that? Why did it work? That really puzzled me.

I think the Ma in Black can feel a lot and a lot of things. He's a powerfull wizard able to travel between the worlds, to see far away both in time and space and probably he could feel who might strike Roland's heart the way Susan did. The Man in Black seems to know Roland very well, the way an old friend would know what you might like.
Probably he wasn't sure who he was looking for when he walked through the whens and wheres, but he knew when he saw Jake. He knew that was the perfect bait for the trap he'd chosen: love.

But I think that Jake was first thought of as a whole by SK, then his story came. That's how things usually happen. First you see the character and then you build around him a lot of things to explain the way he is.

The Gunslinger is known for its incoherences, but I don't mind them. To me they're a great opportunity to feel and imagine how things are in this strange world. I love when things aren't said but implied, or even neglected. I can build my own vision, and in the case of the Gunslinger, it works very well.

Jean
12-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Little Gem: I think there's great difference between killing someone in a battle, immediately saving your own life and sacrificing the same person after you've talked, shared bread and water, and created some form of attachment - all for the sake of an abstraction, something you've never seen and which is not present as an immediate factor.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-04-2009, 02:48 PM

I think the Ma in Black can feel a lot and a lot of things. He's a powerfull wizard able to travel between the worlds, to see far away both in time and space and probably he could feel who might strike Roland's heart the way Susan did. The Man in Black seems to know Roland very well, the way an old friend would know what you might like.
Probably he wasn't sure who he was looking for when he walked through the whens and wheres, but he knew when he saw Jake. He knew that was the perfect bait for the trap he'd chosen: love.

But I think that Jake was first thought of as a whole by SK, then his story came. That's how things usually happen. First you see the character and then you build around him a lot of things to explain the way he is.

The Gunslinger is known for its incoherences, but I don't mind them. To me they're a great opportunity to feel and imagine how things are in this strange world. I love when things aren't said but implied, or even neglected. I can build my own vision, and in the case of the Gunslinger, it works very well.

Little Gem: I think there's great difference between killing someone in a battle, immediately saving your own life and sacrificing the same person after you've talked, shared bread and water, and created some form of attachment - all for the sake of an abstraction, something you've never seen and which is not present as an immediate factor.

I get both of your points but what puzzled me about this is the fact that Jake had planned to hide when he saw Roland approching and Roland decided to talk with Jake. What if Jake had hidden or what if Roland had not wanted to talk with the kid (who is far from lovable at this point in the story)? That makes a lot of "if" for the purpose of the Man in Black to be fulfilled, doesn't it?

Delacroix
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, basically I could answer with one word. One very clever excuse for nearly every question such as the one that buggers you: Ka.

About Jake hidding, maybe the Man in Black knew that Jake would go to Roland anyway. I don't think it's a risky bet to say that a lone kid lost in the desert might want to find someone to help him. Even if Roland is cold or whatever, he's far less scray (to Jake) than the Man in Black.
Jake isn't stupid, he knows he will die if he stays alone, even if he gives himslef the image of a survivor.

Then, about Roland wanting to speak with Jake. Well, it's said that Roland loved Jake since the forst time he saw him:
"Maybe the truth was that he'd loved the kid from the first momenet he'd seen him (as he had Susan Delgado)..."
The Man in Black knew it because it's what his trap is about! Then there is no chance that Roland could step by Jake without a word.

Anyway, I don't think the Man in Black would mind his trap being avoided by Roland. He doesn't care much. It's like the trap set in Tull, he left before seing what would happen.

In the end it doesn't change anything.

Letti
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM

The Man in Black knew Roland much better than we did at that time. And I think he knew him better than Roland knew himself.
Great power doesn't come from magic. Great power comes from knowing the human soul.
TMiB gave it a try and this time it worked.

I get both of your points but what puzzled me about this is the fact that Jake had planned to hide when he saw Roland approching and Roland decided to talk with Jake. What if Jake had hidden or what if Roland had not wanted to talk with the kid (who is far from lovable at this point in the story)? That makes a lot of "if" for the purpose of the Man in Black to be fulfilled, doesn't it?

In this case the Man in Black would have needed a new trap. That's all. Who knows how many of his traps hadn't worked before Roland met Jake.

Whiskeybent
12-12-2009, 03:38 PM

"Hai! David Kill!" One of those moments that give you gooseflesh.

Cort, without a doubt. I think he brought more clarity to the book than any other. Even Roland. Not to mention he reminded me alot of men that trained me in the Air Force lol!

I was more confused at the end than I was at the beginning. I still think that it is WAY to cryptic than the first book of a series should be. Points for originality tho.

That I was so compelled to pick up the second even though I wasn't sure whether I liked the story or not.

Knowing what Roland knew? Absolutely. But, of course I didn't know what he knew, the first time around, which made me pretty upset that he dropped a boy he loved. It was a weird feeling, hating a character you respected. A good feeling to start to like him as the story continued, and a great feeling to love that character by the end.

Rather be in the desert, darkness like that would drive you mad if it didn't kill you.

velcro_fly
12-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Rolands battle in Tull

Cort, He is awesome!

It ended

Rolands battle in Tull

I think so, It was the only way

OMG, I hate the heat. Plus you would have sand everywhere><

Letti
12-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Knowing what Roland knew? Absolutely. But, of course I didn't know what he knew, the first time around, which made me pretty upset that he dropped a boy he loved. It was a weird feeling, hating a character you respected. A good feeling to start to like him as the story continued, and a great feeling to love that character by the end.

And people dare to say King is just a simple horror writer..

killboi
07-04-2010, 06:25 AM

Coming across Brown. Dialogue was perfect.

Brown..again!! :thumbsup:
Although i liked the crazy guy who was brought back from death too :evil:

Hard to tell.

That it was the first one which truly felt unputdownable.

Well!! i have a pretty liking to amoral protagonists. So yeah, i would have let him drop.

Desert for sure.

blavigne
11-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Roland's test with Cort.

Brown and Zoltan, very interesting

It ended too soon.

1. That it is not a "western", although in a lot of ways it is. 2. That I not only like it, I love it and all things DT. I, like some of the others on this board, had to try several times over a period of years to actually pick this book up and read it all the way through which is unusual with me and SK. 3. Roland interested me which kept me coming back wanting to know more about him. It blows my mind that a person can be totally obsessed by a fictional person. This board really makes me feel OK about it........I am not alone.

I don't know, who can say. Did I think Roland was going to do it? Yes because that is who he is.

I hate heat but I think the claustrophobia in the dark would have made me insane so I am going with under the mountains.

RainInSpain
11-13-2010, 01:39 PM

I love everything about it - but the "rain in Spain" nursery rhyme (original) was something that sort of haunted me during the time between my first reading of the book (borrowed) and the happy moment when I bought my very own copy.

Probably Cort

Nothing

That it would be so captivating. I knew that I tended to get engrossed in books that I liked, but I never imagined I could "drown" in a book.

If I were Roland - yes.
If I was still mostly me ... it's hard to say, and it would be more socially acceptable to answer in the negative. But if I were in those circumstances and with Roland's sense of purpose, I most likely would do it, too.

I would say the desert - I don't like extreme heat.

Letti
11-14-2010, 12:50 AM
It blows my mind that a person can be totally obsessed by a fictional person. This board really makes me feel OK about it........I am not alone.

In fact it makes you normal here. :)

Jean
11-14-2010, 01:09 AM

I love everything about it - but the "rain in Spain" nursery rhyme (original) was something that sort of haunted me during the time between my first reading of the book (borrowed) and the happy moment when I bought my very own copy. this is one of the few moments I loved about The Gunslinger... as an allusion to My Fair Lady, first and foremost... opened some brilliant prospects, which, luckily, fully came to my expectations in the later books

RainInSpain
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM

I love everything about it - but the "rain in Spain" nursery rhyme (original) was something that sort of haunted me during the time between my first reading of the book (borrowed) and the happy moment when I bought my very own copy.
this is one of the few moments I loved about The Gunslinger... as an allusion to My Fair Lady, first and foremost... opened some brilliant prospects, which, luckily, fully came to my expectations in the later books

What are those other few moments that you liked?

Jean
11-15-2010, 05:52 AM
the conversation with Brown, and Jake's recollections of New York. I am afraid that would be it...

RainInSpain
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Those are definitely very good - especially meeting and speaking with Brown. Although I must say I'm biased, I like the entire book :)

Jean
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
you're not alone, love... while bears are definitely outnumbered

fernandito
11-15-2010, 01:11 PM
The Gunslinger remains my favorite of the series. :)

RainInSpain
11-15-2010, 01:31 PM
:thumbsup:

(for me it's a tie between The Gunslinger and The Waste Lands)

jertoncvv
03-20-2013, 12:02 AM

The palaver with Marten. At that moment I started reviewing many points of view of my own, my idea of life, meaning, God...

Jake. I got impressed when he's dropped and says that there are other worlds than these.

Probably don't to agree with many people saying the book is boring or hard to read.

The whole book turned my world upside down.

No way, but I'm not strong like Roland, I'm not the kind of guy that go and do what have to.

Under the mountains or in the heat, I think it's a temptation to just give up and let it go.

Jean
03-20-2013, 01:44 AM
No way, but I'm not strong like Roland, I'm not the kind of guy that go and do what have to.Perfectly stated. Read on, I don't want to spoil anything for you; but the controversies of duty (interpreted as destiny) will be in the center of the books all the time, as well as one of the topics of the most interesting discussions here.

Walkingman79
10-22-2013, 12:30 PM

The palaver between Roland and the man in black
Cort
Nothing worth mentioning
That Sheb thought he could take out Roland by himself
I like to think I would have at least put a hand out
Under the mountains in the dark for that long would have been awful.