PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews--just caught it on DVD

Matt
05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Okay, this is what the thread is for. Watch your spoilers. :thumbsup:

We just watched Denzel Washington in Deja Vu.

It wasn't too bad I guess but there seems to be a trend in movies to either make them so high brow that your average person can barely understand or just flat play to the lowest common denominator.

Where are you Forrest Gump?!?!?

So, in this thing we have a machine that could never be based in reality of any kind and...oh yeah...it works fine. <_<

Rjeso
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Revies? ;)

Matt
05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
:blush:

Thanks

Rjeso
05-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Hee. I'm here for ya, dude.

Odetta
01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Just saw Burn After Reading last night!
If you like Cohen Bros. movies, it's a must see!
Just seeing John Malkovich punch Brad Pitt in the face is worth it!

fernandito
01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been wanting to see that for a while now O, I'll pick it up the first chance I get.

Odetta
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it is quite funny!
George Clooney is pretty hilarious too!

Aaron
01-04-2009, 01:56 PM
All right...if you haven't seen the film Wanted yet, don't waste your fucking money. I don't know if it was just because I read the graphic novel first or what, but I thought this movie was pure, unadulterated shit. The acting wasn't terrible, I suppose, but the plot was retarded and missed the entire point of the original story. I was so excited when I read the book, and the movie was just a slap in the face. I don't give a damn if I get to see Angelina Jolie's ass or not.

Worst adaptation ever, even worse than The Lawnmower Man.

(we need a vomit smilie)

jayson
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
We have Burn After Reading on dvd from Netflix and are supposed to watch it tonight. Let you know what I think and get it back to Netflix so someone else can see it soon. :)

Heather19
01-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I just rented Burn After Reading last week. I really enjoyed it, and it's pretty funny. I think you'll like it Jayson.

razz
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
(we need a vomit smilie)

http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-29.gif http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-31.gif http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9530.gif http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9532.gif

take your pick, Aaron.

jayson
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I just rented Burn After Reading last week. I really enjoyed it, and it's pretty funny. I think you'll like it Jayson.

I figured I would and I did :)
I typically like almost everything the Coen's do. The Man Who Wasn't There was pretty boring, but otherwise, the Coen's movies are always enjoyable for me, and several of them are among my favorite films ever. This one will not make that list, but it was definitely enjoyable and the performances were good.

Empath of the White
01-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) for Christmas and watched it the other night. Seems like they focused on the raging drunk side of Morrison moreso than the artistic side. It was entertaining though. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Hannah
01-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I really didn't ever think there was a lot of artistry to Morrison. He wrote good poetry - but most was a product of him being stoned or drunk at the time. The movie focusing on his raging drunkenness and sociopathic tendencies seemed more accurate than focusing on his pseudo-intellectualism.

Empath of the White
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
To each his or her own. :)

I felt bad for what the other guys in the group had to put up with though.

jayson
01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) for Christmas and watched it the other night. Seems like they focused on the raging drunk side of Morrison moreso than the artistic side. It was entertaining though. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

I really didn't ever think there was a lot of artistry to Morrison. He wrote good poetry - but most was a product of him being stoned or drunk at the time. The movie focusing on his raging drunkenness and sociopathic tendencies seemed more accurate than focusing on his pseudo-intellectualism.

I've read Ray Manzarek say that Oliver Stone didn't appear to be interested in much more than Morrison in leather pants. I'm not particularly a fan of The Doors (though I am of Stone), but it didn't seem like it focused much on the music at all, just Morrison's personality. If you like the Doors' music, it's enjoyable but if not, it's not the most interesting movie, though it's shot well (it is still Oliver Stone).

Odetta
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. Their life was pretty good... and don't believe everything you saw in the movie.
I've read other books by members of the Doors and what you saw in the movie was not the way it was all the time. All of the members of the band contributed more than it seemed on the movie.

Hannah
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

I think the guys turned out all right from the whole deal. :lol: I'm pretty sure Morrison's family (who it was said that he hated) turned out okay too.

Still Servant
01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I was really disappointed after watching Burn After Reading. I love the Cohen brothers, and with that cast I was expecting a lot. I almost feel like they phoned it in. I just couldn't get into that film at all.

As for Wanted, I thought it was one of the better films out this summer. A great action flick. I also read the graphic novel before seeing the film, but I knew that the film was going to be nothing like the graphic novel. That was fine with me though.

Did you actually expect them to have a character in the film named "shithead" who is literally composed of shit? Remember this is Hollywood. The story in the the graphic novel just would not work. The main character is an antagonist. He murders innocent people in cold blood.

How do you market that?

sarah
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Just saw Get Smart On Demand. I heard from three or four different people that is was so hilarious. Um....yeah....whatever! I was so disappointed. and the movie cost me $6 <_<

pathoftheturtle
01-07-2009, 12:21 PM
...As for Wanted, I thought it was one of the better films out this summer. A great action flick. ...Did you actually expect them to have a character in the film named "shithead" who is literally composed of shit? Remember this is Hollywood. The story in the the graphic novel just would not work. ...Seen Kevin Smith's Dogma? :lol:
I'm not at all interested in Wanted. Looks awful.
Not many good films on this thread, yet.:orely:

I got The Doors (Oliver Stone biopic) ... I give it a 7.5 out of 10.I'd agree with that. First saw it at the theater back in the day, myself. Say what you like about the script, that film's performers deserve much credit. Kilmer's work is so memorable that lots of folks overlook Crispin Glover's Warhol. Worth watching. :)

Still Servant
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I rented The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I didn't really enjoy it too much. I actually fell asleep for a little while and forced myself to go back and watch the parts I missed.

I really enjoyed the first film, so I was looking forward to seeing the second. That being said, there seems to be something missing for me in this franchise. I just can't place my finger on it.

I must not be the only one who feels this way considering Disney just dropped the film franchise. I'm wondering if anybody is going to pick it up.

Woofer
01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Finally saw Diary of the Dead. I enjoyed it a lot. I agree with my friend who said it's the best of the "videocam" movies. Plotwise it goes back to the original outbreak scenario instead of being a continuation of the post-apocalyptic world we saw develop through Land of the Dead. While the focus is mainly on the characters and how they (we) behave in a crisis of unimaginable proportions, there is plenty of action and gore as well.

That said, I really didn't come to enjoy zombie movies until I was in my twenties. Oh sure, I watched them, but it was more to laugh because, hey, c'mon, they move so fucking slowly. One thing that does bug me about most zombie movies is that most everyone who picks up a gun is able to shoot incredibly accurately - even with typically inaccurate weapons.

jayson
01-10-2009, 07:41 AM
One thing that does bug me about most zombie movies is that most everyone who picks up a gun is able to shoot incredibly accurately - even with typically inaccurate weapons.

Which always contrasts nicely with police type movies/tv shows where people with weapons training can't hit anything at all. :shoot:

Still Servant
01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I just watched Transsiberian. I thought it was a really well made film. Some nice twists and turns. Good acting from Woody Harrelson, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer and Kate Mara, whom I happen to have a huge crush on. It has a really nice Hitchcock like feel to it. So if you like his films, then you should enjoy this one.

If you get the chance, I would recommend picking this up. I love watching films with a good cast that, for whatever the reason, gets overlooked. I don't even remember this film being out, not even in limited release.

Aaron
01-11-2009, 07:46 AM
As for Wanted, I thought it was one of the better films out this summer. A great action flick. I also read the graphic novel before seeing the film, but I knew that the film was going to be nothing like the graphic novel. That was fine with me though.

Did you actually expect them to have a character in the film named "shithead" who is literally composed of shit? Remember this is Hollywood. The story in the the graphic novel just would not work. The main character is an antagonist. He murders innocent people in cold blood.

How do you market that?

Well, the studio would have to start by growing some balls, for one. They've done it before, and can most definitely do it again. A good example is Natural Born Killers.

The reason that they didnt do it was because they had to make a choice. They could make a summer blockbuster action film that would die off in DVD sales within its first year, or they could make a film that would likely be a macabre cult classic, and while it wouldnt do as well initially in the box office, its staying-power would make it one of the great films of the early twenty-first century. But they werent brave enough to make that movie, and so we're stuck with lame-ass curving bullets and poorly-delivered dialogue.

I am just saying that if they had done a true adaptation of the graphic novel, and delivered it effectively, the film that resulted would have shaken the world of mainstream film and would likely have been considered one of the most important films of our time. Simply because of the nature of the main character and what he becomes.

No, I am just mad because the producers took the safe route. Thankfully, there is always the chance that it will be done in film the right way sometime before I die. Too bad this two-hour waste of time had to delay it, though.

Still Servant
01-14-2009, 08:18 AM

How do you market that?

Well, the studio would have to start by growing some balls, for one. They've done it before, and can most definitely do it again. A good example is Natural Born Killers.

The reason that they didnt do it was because they had to make a choice. They could make a summer blockbuster action film that would die off in DVD sales within its first year, or they could make a film that would likely be a macabre cult classic, and while it wouldnt do as well initially in the box office, its staying-power would make it one of the great films of the early twenty-first century. But they werent brave enough to make that movie, and so we're stuck with lame-ass curving bullets and poorly-delivered dialogue.

You're exactly right. They had to make a choice, and it's pretty clear they made the right one. Wanted did a worldwide gross of 342 million dollars. That's a lot of money. It would take them hundreds of years to make that kind of money back if they did it your way.

These movie studios don't make films like these for the hard-core fans of the graphic novel. There's just not a large enough audience. So they changed it and made it more "friendly" for the masses and it worked. It's a business and it's about the money. The movie studio made the right choice. I'm not sure anybody could argue that. $342 is a lot of dough.

I'm not surprised you disliked it. I'm sure most fans of the graphic novel did. I was able to separate the two and enjoy the film for what it was.

My question to you is that if it was a stand alone film not based on anything, would you have enjoyed it more?

Seymour_Glass
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, Mark Millar was happy to make the big Hollywood bucks. And I'm glad he did.

Aaron
01-29-2009, 07:51 AM

How do you market that?

You're exactly right. They had to make a choice, and it's pretty clear they made the right one. Wanted did a worldwide gross of 342 million dollars. That's a lot of money. It would take them hundreds of years to make that kind of money back if they did it your way.

These movie studios don't make films like these for the hard-core fans of the graphic novel. There's just not a large enough audience. So they changed it and made it more "friendly" for the masses and it worked. It's a business and it's about the money. The movie studio made the right choice. I'm not sure anybody could argue that. $342 is a lot of dough.

I'm not surprised you disliked it. I'm sure most fans of the graphic novel did. I was able to separate the two and enjoy the film for what it was.

My question to you is that if it was a stand alone film not based on anything, would you have enjoyed it more?

Well of course it's about money. They made the right decision for them; not for the story. I know people dont tend to give much of a damn about that, but I feel that in movie adaptations that they should at least stay true to the basics of the story, and they didnt at all. The only things that resembled the graphic novel at all--aside from the title--were the weak main character with the whorish girlfriend and a few lines of dialogue here and there. The way I see it is that if it differs so greatly from the novel then they should have changed the title. Tacking the name of the graphic novel on a movie and saying that it is an adaptation was just plain false advertisement. It was a completely different story, with a completely different message. That's what pisses me off.

And I likely would have liked it a bit better if it was a stand alone, but I wouldnt have liked it that much, because it's not really that great. Actually, if it wasnt purported to be an adaptation of Wanted I probably never would have watched it at all, because it isnt the type of movie I would enjoy. I guess my issue with it is the same one that Stephen King had with the movie The Lawnmower Man. If it isnt even close to what it is claiming to be, then it should be renamed. Hollywood duped us.

Seymour_Glass
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I just caught Trainspotting. It's an amazing piece of filmmaking. It makes me really want to see Danny Boyle's latest, Slumdog Millionaire.

turtlex
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Trainspotting is awesome ! Ewan is awesome, a real star-making turn. A great film.

My favorite scene :
Tommy: Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?

Mark "Rent-boy" Renton: It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

Heather19
02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Trainspotting is a great film, and Danny is an amazing director.
Have you seen any of his other films Seymour?

fernandito
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I've seen every single one of Danny Boyle's movies , with the exception of Slumdog, and I loved all of them.

Heather19
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
How was Millions? That's the only one (along with Slumdog) that I haven't seen.

Seymour_Glass
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I've only seen Trainspotting, but I added the rest (except Slumdog) to my Netflix queue.

Heather19
02-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I've only seen Trainspotting, but I added the rest (except Slumdog) to my Netflix queue.

I highly recommend 28 Days Later, Shallow Grave, and Sunshine.

turtlex
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Shallow Grave! Way under-rated and way good.

pathoftheturtle
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Just caught War, Inc. a new film, starring John Cusack, on DVD; here's my mini-review.

This is a black comedy: To appreciate it, you definitely need to expect, going in, that it is not meant to be taken seriously, literally, and that straightforward logic doesn't always apply within the plot.

Lots of great scenes and memorable moments, though it never gels overall in the way that most people like films to do.

It's easy to conclude that War, Inc. ultimately fails as standard entertainment, but when you realize that our entertainment standards is one of the main things being satirized here, it seems quite apropos that the drama is self-sabotaged.

Take heart, though, if you've a taste for the conventional storyline; even on that level, War, Inc. succeeds better than the film Toys (which it is a bit reminiscent of.)
I also positively must mention the stellar performances. Ben Kingsley gives an amazing turn as an American southerner.

I recommend it, certainly, but would advise watching when you're in an activist mood. :)

Still Servant
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I saw Rocknrolla. I enjoyed the film, but if you read the General Movie Discussion thread, I felt very similar about the film as Heather did.

I can't really put my finger on it, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as Ritchie's other films. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I thought Gerard Butler could have used a bigger, more critical role.

The best part of the film was the performance by the guy who plays Johnny Quid. Really nice performance. I really wanted to love this film, but I think it just fell short. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. All in all, if you like Guy's stuff, then Rocknrolla is a must see.

I also saw a film called Hard Eight (it also goes by the title Sydney). It was Paul Thomas Anderson's first feature length film. It stars Philip Baker Hall, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow and John C. Reilly. Philip Baker Hall takes John C. Reilly, who's down on his luck, under his wing and teaches him how to be a winner in the world of gambling.

Paltrow is good as a waitress/prostitute. I was expecting a closer look into the world of gambling. Instead, the movie wonders off in other directions. All in all, I thought it was an interesting film.

It also got me thinking, which are the best gambling films? I really love Rounders and I've been meaning to watch The Cincinnati Kid, but what are some other films about gambling that you can think of?

Heather19
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I also saw a film called Hard Eight (it also goes by the title Sydney). It was Paul Thomas Anderson's first feature length film. It stars Philip Baker Hall, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow and John C. Reilly. Philip Baker Hall takes John C. Reilly, who's down on his luck, under his wing and teaches him how to be a winner in the world of gambling.

Wow, it's been ages since I've seen this one. I forgot all about it. I think I might go back and rent it again, because I can only remember vague things about it.

Heather19
02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Just saw 27 Dresses. It's not the type of film I would typically go for, but surprisingly I really enjoyed it. Having just watched a lot of dark and depressing films lately, I think it's just what I needed. A fun mindless happy little film. Katherine, James, and Edward were all perfect in it. If you're into romantic comedies, I recommend it.

jemaher
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM

I figured I would and I did :)
I typically like almost everything the Coen's do. The Man Who Wasn't There was pretty boring, but otherwise, the Coen's movies are always enjoyable for me, and several of them are among my favorite films ever. This one will not make that list, but it was definitely enjoyable and the performances were good.

Barton fink! that's two hours of my life i'm never getting back.

Daghain
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
If you are at all a Palahniuk fan, rent Choke. Two thumbs up! It has a similar style to Fight Club. I saw it last night and totally loved it.

Brice
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I haven't read anything by him or seen any of the movies based on his writing. :unsure:

jayson
02-25-2009, 06:02 AM
I saw Rocknrolla. I enjoyed the film, but if you read the General Movie Discussion thread, I felt very similar about the film as Heather did.

I can't really put my finger on it, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as Ritchie's other films. I didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I thought Gerard Butler could have used a bigger, more critical role.

The best part of the film was the performance by the guy who plays Johnny Quid. Really nice performance. I really wanted to love this film, but I think it just fell short. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. All in all, if you like Guy's stuff, then Rocknrolla is a must see.

I liked it a lot, though not as much as the others as well. However, what I liked about it was that although it was like Lock, Stock...and Snatch in some obvious ways, it was also much different in terms of pacing and ratio of seriousness to comedy. It was a slower less outright comedic film, though much of it was still quite funny. It reminded me in some ways of Matthew Vaughn's Layer Cake which I liked a lot as well. I think, like Layer Cake, I may have to watch it again to take it all in.

I agree completely about the actor who played Johnny. He was quite memorable and if Guy does end up making the other two movies of this alleged trilogy, I am looking forward to seeing that character develop.

fernandito
02-25-2009, 06:15 AM
I haven't read anything by him or seen any of the movies based on his writing. :unsure:

Fight Club?

jayson
02-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes, everyone must see Fight Club. That Dags says the adaptation of Choke is comparable to Fight Club makes it sound really good because Fight Club is the exception to my "adaptations generally suck" rule.

turtlex
02-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Cripes!

Daggers!

Feev!

Jayson!

What is the first rule of Fight Club?!?!

fernandito
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
The same as the second rule :

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB.

Daghain
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
What fight club? There's no fight club. :lol:

Heather19
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM

You must at least check out Fight Club. Great book and film!

And Jayson, I still need to see Layer Cake. I had completely forgotten about it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed RocknRolla.

fernandito
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Apparently Heather doesn't know the rules.

Heather19
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
:lol:

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
:grouphug:

Heather19
03-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I just watched Changeling the other night. I absolutely loved it. It's about a woman who's searching for her lost son, and how she battles a corrupt LAPD. It was beautifully shot, beautifully directed, and the acting was solid. How is it that there hasn't been much discussion about this film? I would highly recommend it.

turtlex
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
And... have I mentioned... Angelina Jolie rocks?!?

jayson
04-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Finally got around to seeing Milk on DVD last night. I thought it was quite good. All the performances were well done. Overall an excellent film.

idk, my bff jill?
04-13-2009, 04:03 AM
Milk is awesome.
I got my parents to watch it this weekend, but they didn't really like it. ><
They just said that Sean Penn was pretty good.

I watched Rachel Getting Married this weekend, and wow. I loved it.
Anne Hathaway was amazing.
The whole movie was great, imo. :)

jayson
04-13-2009, 04:15 AM
My parents saw Milk when it was out in the theaters. I remember my mom telling me how much she liked it and how great she thought Penn was.

idk, my bff jill?
04-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Your parental units > My parental units

jayson
04-13-2009, 04:21 AM
I was pleasantly surprised that she liked it. :)

idk, my bff jill?
04-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Did you think she wouldn't?

jayson
04-13-2009, 04:58 AM
I wasn't sure really. They tend to be on the open-minded side when it comes to most social political issues, but they also tend to not like to talk or think about those issues much so I wasn't sure what they'd make of a biopic about Harvey Milk. Then again, they remember that time period much better than I do. I was a little kid when all that happened and didn't learn who Harvey Milk was until I was in high school and I listened to the Dead Kennedys version of "I Fought the Law". :)

Seymour_Glass
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Magnolia. Fucking masterpiece. See it if you haven't.

pathoftheturtle
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
So, is that a thumbs up? :P

I wasn't real impressed, but it has been several years. I admit that I may have been biased then. I'll watch it again... if I am able to get into it this time.

turtlex
06-27-2009, 04:19 PM
magnolia is great.

DoctorDodge
06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Just watched Clubbed on dvd. Fantastic brit flick! Pretty simple plot about a pathetic man who learns to fight back, but a simple plot told well nonetheless. Add some raw brutality, some really funny quotes and a GREAT 80s soundtrack and you've got yourself a pretty decent film.

Actually, ANY film with Shaun Parkes is bound to be a decent brit flick! :thumbsup: On a slightly related note, anyone on here checked out late 90s film Human Traffic? Another classic film to check out if ever there was one! Dated, but classic!

candy
06-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Just saw Burn After Reading last night!
If you like Cohen Bros. movies, it's a must see!
Just seeing John Malkovich punch Brad Pitt in the face is worth it!

i think i may be one of the few that didn't get this film. Normally i really rate brad pitt as an actor (not for looks i think he picks really good films - fclub, meet joe black, etc etc) but i just could not get into this film. i was left with a real feeling of anti climax after.

All right...if you haven't seen the film Wanted yet, don't waste your fucking money. I don't know if it was just because I read the graphic novel first or what, but I thought this movie was pure, unadulterated shit. The acting wasn't terrible, I suppose, but the plot was retarded and missed the entire point of the original story. I was so excited when I read the book, and the movie was just a slap in the face. I don't give a damn if I get to see Angelina Jolie's ass or not.

so agree with the synopsis. the film had such a good premise, i haven't read the story and to be honest the film put me off finding it to read it. it just seemed to pointless!!! reading these reviews however makes me think i may have been hasty in dismissing the book.

And... have I mentioned... Angelina Jolie rocks?!?

oh no, do you not think she has just gone to skin and bones? she was hot hot hot in lara croft, but in wanted and the recent ones i just think she looks really haggard. and i know its an awful thing to say, but i sleep at nights because she always struck me as being rather stuck up and thinking that she is better than everyone else. made worse when she got with brad

turtlex
06-28-2009, 05:33 AM
candy - I've been a big fan of Angelina Jolie since Gia. I just love her work. Angelina is perfect as Lara Croft ( except for those horrible fake boobs ). She nailed the accent and all the moves...( ie Wanted, she looks so strong, but just slightly too skinny for my tastes ). Personally, I don't find her stuck up and truly admire the work she's done as the UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador. I'm not a big fan of Brad's, though.

Cause I just had to :
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/02/01-07/107mnunangelinajolieb400.jpg

Recommended Angelina Jolie films you probably never saw :
Gia
Foxfire

candy
06-28-2009, 05:50 AM
:huglove:your right, i have not seen this two films, shall put them on list

i was judging you pam,:huglove: she is just not my taste:huglove: (these days)

turtlex
06-28-2009, 05:56 AM
( oh, I have it bad for angelina jolie - did you see the picture of misha on my angelina jolie wall?... so please, judge away :D )

Heather19
06-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Foxfire :thumbsup: Excellent pick Pam.
Oh and what about The Changeling. I thought she was excellent in that one as well.

pathoftheturtle
06-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I, too, think that she is horribly stuck-up, and vastly overrated. You're entitled to your own opinions, tho; I don't want to argue about it. Still, Pam, how can you dis Brad Pitt? That man can act! (kalifornia, snatch, etc etc)

turtlex
06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Brad Pitt? To me, he peaked during Thelma and Louise, and is basically been really good in one movie since - Fight Club. He's great at secondary characters, though - ie. Floyd in True Romance and in Snatch. I just don't think he's that good - I thought he was horrible in Se7en and in Benjamin Button.

I don't think Angelina is stuck up, I think she's a strong personality and is doing her best to help the world in the best way she feels she can. And, she can act - very well. But again - we all have our opinions.

Seymour_Glass
06-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm quite to the contrary about Brad performance's is Se7en and Benjamin Button. I loved Se7en, and think that Benjamin Button was only hampered by a meandering screenplay.

turtlex
06-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Being contrary about things is what makes this a great community... :grouphug:

( and I liked Se7en, I just thought BP's performance sucked. Spacey stole and Freeman stood out. )

Still Servant
06-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought Pitt was good in Seven. Especially his performance in the end. His "What's in the box?!" line is one of my most used quotes from a film.

I thought he was great in that part. I think some people just don't like Brad Pitt simply because he's Brad Pitt.

And what about Pitt's performance in 12 Monkey's? He was nominated for an Oscar for that performance.

jayson
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Mike (path) also mentioned Kalifornia before. I thought Pitt's performance was excellent in that. Certainly more captivating than that robot Duchovny. Pitt is what made the movie interesting to me.

turtlex
06-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I might be missing the Brad Pitt gene or something. :D I don't deny that. I just think he usually seems, in his starring roles... too much like he's playing a part and screaming look at me, I'm acting now!!!

Also ( ducking here ) I thought Kalifornia was a pompus, over-produced pile of boredom.

jayson
06-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Also ( ducking here ) I thought Kalifornia was a pompus, over-produced pile of boredom.

I agree. Were it not for Pitt's performance, I wouldn't have cared for the film at all.

Woofer
06-29-2009, 04:44 AM
I like looking at both Brad and Angelina. I agree Brad is better as a secondary to someone. Angelina WAS Laura Croft. God, the two of them together. *faint*

candy
07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Being contrary about things is what makes this a great community... :grouphug:

( and I liked Se7en, I just thought BP's performance sucked. Spacey stole and Freeman stood out. )

imagine how borin that would be - everyone agreeing!! (imagine for me, a thread going we all love brad, yep we do to, me to - how mind numbing would that get?) hell we even argue? discuss over the best SK novel

I mean it makes for an interesting world that we all differ in opinion.

I like looking at both Brad and Angelina. I agree Brad is better as a secondary to someone. Angelina WAS Laura Croft. God, the two of them together. *faint*

Nei, dont think so. Mr and Mrs Smith was one of the few brad pitt films i didnt like. yep it was a good evening filler but thats about it. what i like about pitts films is that you want to discuss and disect them when they are finished:orely:

to change the subject completley:P

I watched 7 pounds last night. cant say i was overawed
it was good - but i felt like i was being played? if you know what i mean, oh its sooo sad cry cry cry - bit too much really

turtlex
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
it was good - but i felt like i was being played? if you know what i mean, oh its sooo sad cry cry cry - bit too much really

That's because you were.

pathoftheturtle
07-01-2009, 05:32 AM
...Were it not for Pitt's performance, I wouldn't have cared for the film at all.Ditto.

to change the subject completley:P

Completely back to what it is supposed to be, you mean? :lol:
I still haven't seen it, but I have really wanted to.
No good at all?:(

candy
07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
don't get me wrong, it was ok. i maybe went in with too much expectation, like you i really wanted to see it.

it just felt too much like my emotions where being played, and it got a bit much, to a point where i wanted to just start taking the piss.

but all in all it was a good film and will smith as always was very good in it. there was quite a few glaring inconsistencies - but overall, i'd recomend it if there was nothing else in the store that you wanted to watch

Disincarnate
07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I watched Gran Torino the other night. First movie that's made me cry in years. So so good.

obscurejude
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I cried too Disincarnate. That was a great movie and my favorite of Eastwood's. The character reminds me heavily of my own grandfather.

Still Servant
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I cried too Disincarnate. That was a great movie and my favorite of Eastwood's. The character reminds me heavily of my own grandfather.

Gran Torino reminded me of my grandfather too. I'm sure we aren't the only ones. I think it's just that generation.

My grandfather doesn't always mean anything bad by some of the things he says, that's just him.

obscurejude
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Gran Torino reminded me of my grandfather too. I'm sure we aren't the only ones. I think it's just that generation.

My grandfather doesn't always mean anything bad by some of the things he says, that's just him.

I'm sure they're many that feel the same way too. I was just surprised by how deeply it resonated with me. It went beyond a stereotype somehow... I'm not sure how to articulate it.

Disincarnate
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
For me it was the fact that I hated his character in the beginning, but by the end I was so attached to him and surprised by how much I fell in love with his character. Plus the entire theme of the movie was beautiful.

I watched The Wrestler a few days after that. Also a really really good movie, but I liked Gran Torino better.

obscurejude
07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I saw both in the theater and while I liked the Wrestler, I found Gran Torino much more entertaining. The Wrestler didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. I saw the trailer for the movie 9 or 10 times at the theater before it finally came out and the whole thing got under my skin after awhile. I even went to an indie theater in Charlotte and saw a life size cut out of Micky Rourke with the Peter Travers interview included as a pop out. Meh.

pathoftheturtle
07-02-2009, 05:53 AM
The best way to really appreciate Gran Torino is to look at all of Eastwood's other work, first.

jayson
07-02-2009, 06:06 AM
The best way to really appreciate Gran Torino is to look at all of Eastwood's other work, first.

if that involves having to re-watch a perfect world, count me out. that one was just horrible.

pathoftheturtle
07-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Ew. :nope: (IMO, anything w/ Kevin Costner is doomed.)

Besides, I'm not talking about necessarily re-watching anything. Just knowing Clint's career, particularly those films where he played the lead, even where he wasn't directing.
The "man with no name," Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, and so on.
(BTW, doing that is also highly relevant to TDT series. Anyone else considered the parallels between King's DT7 and Eastwood's Gran Torino?)

jayson
07-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Ew. :nope: (IMO, anything w/ Kevin Costner is doomed.)

no doubt about that. i saw it one summer when my sister and i pretty much went to the movies every night for lack of anything else to do. how she talked me into that one i will never know, but i know she hated it too so there you go.

i've yet to see gran torino though it is something i plan to watch soon. i will be on the lookout for these parallels of which you speak. :)

turtlex
07-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Um, Field of Dreams was good, and I enjoyed Bull Durham ( though, mostly for Susan Sarandon ) ...and sorry, I'm out.

jayson
07-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Um, Field of Dreams was good, and I enjoyed Bull Durham ( though, mostly for Susan Sarandon ) ...and sorry, I'm out.

field of dreams was a bit too heavy handed on the schmaltz for me.

bull durham i liked but it was all sarandon and robbins. costner got taken along for the ride. a better actor could have brought more to that role and really filled out the triangle.

turtlex
07-02-2009, 07:32 AM

field of dreams was a bit too heavy handed on the schmaltz for me.

bull durham i liked but it was all sarandon and robbins. costner got taken along for the ride. a better actor could have brought more to that role and really filled out the triangle.

Yeah, but I didn't feel really manipulated while watching Field of Dreams, and I really liked everyone in the supporting cast. I watched it again, just recently, and still got a kick out of it.

Bull Durham... yeah. Exactly. "Oh my."

Seymour_Glass
07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I liked Kevin in The Untouchables.

RUBE
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I know many might not like anything Costner did but I can watch Field of Dreams or Dances With Wolves anytime they come on.

Back to Eastwood. Could anyone possibly have foreseen how good of a director that Eastwood would turn out to be based on his earlier movie career? I love many of his movies but I bet that not many people would guess the "man with no man"/Dirty Harry could make the likes of Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo JIma, and Gran Torino. Hell, I bet even R of G might could forgive him A Perfect World based on the merits of the rest of his directing.

jayson
07-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Hell, I bet even R of G might could forgive him A Perfect World based on the merits of the rest of his directing.

nothing to forgive. i just wish i hadn't seen it because it was so boring. still, you are correct, the vast majority of the rest of his work is excellent.

turtlex
07-03-2009, 04:10 AM
It just goes to show that some actors can, and more importantly, should make the jump behind the camera to director.

Heather19
07-03-2009, 05:22 AM
agreed
Seriously, I'd love to see Ben Affleck step behind the camera and direct another film.

pathoftheturtle
07-03-2009, 07:18 AM
i've yet to see gran torino though it is something i plan to watch soon. i will be on the lookout for these parallels of which you speak. :)Well, it is a great and very enjoyable film, any way you look at it. Do check it out. :D And I'll definitely appreciate you watching for the TDT parallels that I mentioned. After you see it, you can come on down to my Dark Tower motifs (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6385) thread and explain why you think that I'm wrong.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 10:18 AM
agreed
Seriously, I'd love to see Ben Affleck step behind the camera and direct another film.

Agreed, but I don't hate him like many on the site do. I like Matt Damon too, but not as much as Sarah Silverman. ;)

Woofer
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
agreed

Agreed, but I don't hate him like many on the site do. I like Matt Damon too, but not as much as Sarah Silverman. ;)

Are we allowed to say such vile things here? I mean like Ben Affleck.

We watched Tokyo Gore Police last night.

You have to be into Asian shock cinema, such as Ichi the Killer or Meatball Machine, to truly enjoy this movie. With gratuitous amounts of gore that rival Deadalive, oodles of sick, creepy stuff, and mega amounts of violence, Tokyo Gore Police definitely lives up to its name.

However, and this is a very big however, there is some truly beautiful cinematograpy; as Mr. Woofer put it - it's gore as art. Likewise, the plot is not all OMG kill them as violently as possible and contains some interesting observations on and criticisms of modern society.

Yeah. I loved it.

Set in a future-world vision of Tokyo where the police have been privatized and bitter self-mutilation is so casual that advertising is often specially geared to the "cutter" demographic, this is the story of samurai sword-wielding Ruka and her mission to avenge her father's assassination. Ruka is a cop from a squad whose mission is to destroy homicidal mutant humans (known as "engineers") who possess the ability to transform any injury to a weapon in and of itself.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM

You have to be into Asian shock cinema, such as Ichi the Killer or Meatball Machine, to truly enjoy this movie. With gratuitous amounts of gore that rival Deadalive, oodles of sick, creepy stuff, and mega amounts of violence, Tokyo Gore Police definitely lives up to its name.

However, and this is a very big however, there is some truly beautiful cinematograpy; as Mr. Woofer put it - it's gore as art. Likewise, the plot is not all OMG kill them as violently as possible and contains some interesting observations on and criticisms of modern society.

Yeah. I loved it.

See, this sounds like the kind of thing that I'd only enjoy in the company of people like yourself. One of my favorite things to do is watch movies with friends and then talk about the nuances over dinner or drinks after.

Hyperbole, satire, etc... always fits well in ultra violent movies. I saw Shoot Em' Up with Clive Owen a couple of days ago and those elements were certainly there as well.

Woofer
07-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Yeah. I loved it.

See, this sounds like the kind of thing that I'd only enjoy in the company of people like yourself. One of my favorite things to do is watch movies with friends and then talk about the nuances over dinner or drinks after.

Hyperbole, satire, etc... always fits well in ultra violent movies. I saw Shoot Em' Up with Clive Owen a couple of days ago and those elements were certainly there as well.

:huglove: Well I wish you could've watched it with us. I was surprised that Mr. Woofer did. Usually this is the type of movie saved for my horror night with Cthulhu Lady and Red-Headed Devil, who also discuss the social and psychological implications with me. Not all gore is for gore's sake alone.

I, too, like to discuss movies over drinks or dinner (or a piece of pie) after. I especially like it when each of us has caught some subtle imagery or reference that changes the entire tenor of a scene.

ETA: Should I ad Shoot Em Up to my queue? I saw a very amusing scene from it quite a while back.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh, I know Woofer. I would have loved to see it with you guys as well. Some of the best conversations I've ever had have been over movies. And I'm down for a slice of pie for sure.

Maybe one of these days. :)

Woofer
07-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Nei, dont think so. Mr and Mrs Smith was one of the few brad pitt films i didnt like. yep it was a good evening filler but thats about it. what i like about pitts films is that you want to discuss and disect them when they are finished:orely:

I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to them being together in a movie, more like them being together in a bed. *wolf cough*

Woofer
07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh, I know Woofer. I would have loved to see it with you guys as well. Some of the best conversations I've ever had have been over movies. And I'm down for a slice of pie for sure.

Maybe one of these days. :)

Definitely. :couple:

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 10:55 AM
:huglove:

candy
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm sorry. I wasn't referring to them being together in a movie, more like them being together in a bed. *wolf cough*

:rofl:i'm so innocent, that never even entered my head:blush:

Woofer
07-03-2009, 12:00 PM

:rofl:i'm so innocent, that never even entered my head:blush:

Is okay. Most people probably didn't think that's what I meant either, but damn so much hawtness in one bed?! *faint again*

turtlex
07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Gone Baby Gone is wonderful, and I hope Ben jumps behind the camera again, seriously. And, you know, I'm okay if he stays there, so long as he lives up to expectations now.

Seymour_Glass
07-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I really liked Gone Baby Gone, too. And I feel the same way about Affleck's future.

I just watched Punch-Drunk Love. I loved it. Definitely the best thing Adam Sandler's done with is life.

Still Servant
07-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I really enjoyed Shoot 'em Up.

I love hyper violent movies that are so over the top. The film is mainly tongue and check. I also love Clive Owen.

Basically, if you love films like Hard Boiled, check out Shoot em Up.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 06:06 PM

I love hyper violent movies that are so over the top. The film is mainly tongue and check. I also love Clive Owen.

I was laughing my ass off the whole time. I thought it was really cool and it was perfect for the mood I was in. So over the top, like when he had that head on collision and went through his windshield, into the van, and took them all out with the handgun. :lol:

Oh, and the beginning where he shot the umbilical cord. My god I was laughing hard.

Heather19
07-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Gone Baby Gone is wonderful, and I hope Ben jumps behind the camera again, seriously. And, you know, I'm okay if he stays there, so long as he lives up to expectations now.

I didn't go in with high expectations, but I was blown away by his directing of the film. I really believe he could shine as a director. I hope decides to do another one in the near future.

I just watched Punch-Drunk Love. I loved it. Definitely the best thing Adam Sandler's done with is life.

:thumbsup:
I loved this movie. It's the only Sandler film I can actually watch.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Great moment for Sandler, but I love Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison as well as most of his others. If you like the character he always plays, then its aces. Kind of like the majority of Will Ferrel movies. I thought Stranger than Fiction was extremely impressive, but I also love all his other movies from Old School to Talladega Nights. :rofl: His interactions with Sasha Baron Coen in the latter were epic. :rofl:

Still Servant
07-04-2009, 08:13 AM

I was laughing my ass off the whole time. I thought it was really cool and it was perfect for the mood I was in. So over the top, like when he had that head on collision and went through his windshield, into the van, and took them all out with the handgun. :lol:

Oh, and the beginning where he shot the umbilical cord. My god I was laughing hard.

Awesome Jude. You picked out my favorite part of that film.

I love when I see something in a film that I've never seen before and my jaw just drops.

I also loved how he killed people with carrots. I have seen people die in many different ways but never from a vegetable.

Brice
07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
In one of the children of the corn sequels I believe someone was killed by a corn cob. :lol:

Still Servant
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I watched Miracle at St. Anna the other night.

I must say I didn't think it was that good. I didn't have very high expectations to begin with, so I wasn't disappointed.

The film was way too long. It lacked focus during many scenes. The characters were cardboard cut outs of black stereotypes.

I have heard some people prefer this film to Saving Private Ryan. I don't know how that's possible.

candy
07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
i watched the curious case of benjamin button last night, and while it was a good film i could not help drawing comparisons with Big Fish and Forrest Gump.

The film was overly long at just under 3 hours, and while i was not itching for the film to be over there was still an awful lot in the film that didn't really need to be in it.
has this been discussed before?

Woofer
07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Saw Hancock last night and was surprised. It was quite enjoyable for a "let go and don't really think? action comedy.

I loved the head up the ass scene. Talk about LOL for real.

candy
07-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Saw Hancock last night and was surprised. It was quite enjoyable for a "let go and don't really think? action comedy.

yep, i agree. its plot line is very very thin, but Will Smith carried it off remarkabley well. And there was some excellent gags in there (which tbh honest there are not that many comedy films out there for my age group to enjoy - yep the old and decrepid age group)

Woofer
07-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I cannot believe Will Smith these days. My god that shower scene in I, Robot (let's pretend it was not an interpretation of I, Robot, shall we?)... *fans self* I do believe I'm gettin' tha vapors.

I Am Legend (let's don't talk about that adaptation, either), but it gets my point across:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X_d6JjJ00I4/R2dMb-UDxbI/AAAAAAAAJu0/-W2JR2s2Vo0/s400/will-legend.jpg

sarajean
07-26-2009, 09:45 AM

i thought i would hate it, but didn't.

that scene was one of my favourites, too.

candy
07-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I cannot believe Will Smith these days. My god that shower scene in I, Robot (let's pretend it was not an interpretation of I, Robot, shall we?)... *fans self* I do believe I'm gettin' tha vapors.

I Am Legend (let's don't talk about that adaptation, either), but it gets my point across:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X_d6JjJ00I4/R2dMb-UDxbI/AAAAAAAAJu0/-W2JR2s2Vo0/s400/will-legend.jpg

i think you got your point across very well:drool:

I don't even think about the books when i watch these films, they are so far away from the book, they can not even be considered adaptions really
Running man was the worst, i loved that little novella, and the film turned it into quite a comic little caper. So i switch off readercandy and switch on justwatchthefilmcandy these days

sarajean
07-26-2009, 09:51 AM
my brother made me watch confessions of a shopaholic with him yesterday. it was a'ight. it was better teasing him about his reactions to it.

candy
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
:wtf:i:wtf: want a brother now!!!

Heather19
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
my brother made me watch confessions of a shopaholic with him yesterday. it was a'ight. it was better teasing him about his reactions to it.

your brother made you watch it

My friend was just telling me to see it. Doubt it's really my type of movie, but I'm up for mindless romantic comedies every once in awhile.

sarajean
07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
yes, my brother.

the same brother that watches degrassi. the same brother that made me watch he's just not that into you. the same brother that i just ripped into for bringing across the universe into this house.

that brother. who is...straight?

Heather19
07-26-2009, 10:41 AM

turtlex
07-26-2009, 10:58 AM
yes, my brother.

the same brother that watches degrassi. the same brother that made me watch he's just not that into you. the same brother that i just ripped into for bringing across the universe into this house.

that brother. who is...straight?

Well... at least you also now know exactly what it's like to have a sister... a 14 year old sister.

:D

Still Servant
07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic.

I will pretty much watch anything. I actually thought it was pretty good.

I feel that in order to learn about movies, you need to watch as many different genres as possible.

So when I'm at a party a few years from now and a question from Confessions of a Shopaholic comes up and I answer it right, I will look like a genius.

I will also get made fun of, but at least I would have gotten the question correct.

AIMB
07-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic.

I will pretty much watch anything. I actually thought it was pretty good.

me too i can watch anything once. if it's really bad i usually won't watch it again. i don't rule anything out, sometimes you get surprised.

and anythings better than watching the same family guy reruns every night

pathoftheturtle
07-29-2009, 08:44 AM
anythings better than watching the same family guy reruns every nightExcellent choice of example.

Still Servant
08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I caught Watchmen on DVD the other night.

Besides being incredibly long, I thought it was okay. I felt the story could have been a little tighter. I felt kind of lost at times. At other times, I felt kind of like "who cares?" I also didn't care for some of the characters.

Let me put it this way, if I spent more than a buck on the film I probably wouldn't have liked it too much. Spending a dollar on a film makes almost anything tolerable.

There were some great action scenes and I loved the special effects. I just felt it was lacking that one character for me to relate to. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Brice
08-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Besides being incredibly long, I thought it was okay. I felt the story could have been a little tighter. I felt kind of lost at times. At other times, I felt kind of like "who cares?" I also didn't care for some of the characters.

Let me put it this way, if I spent more than a buck on the film I probably wouldn't have liked it too much. Spending a dollar on a film makes almost anything tolerable.

There were some great action scenes and I loved the special effects. I just felt it was lacking that one character for me to relate to. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I've seen films that would disprove this theory. Some wouldn't be worth the money if they paid you to go.

turtlex
08-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Brice and I obviously see some of the same films.

Has anyone ever seen Palmetto? With Gina Gershon, Elisabeth Shue and Woody Harrelson? Or Crisscross with Goldie Hawn? These would definitely fall into the "not worth a dollar" catagory.

Brice
08-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Apparently I was lucky in missing that one. :)

Last Nicht I watched Histoires Extroardinaire which is actually three films in one based on Poe stories done by Roger Vadim, Louis Malle, and Federico Fellini. It was really pretty good. The Fellini segment had to be one of his strangest though.

fernandito
08-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Have you read the graphic novel ?

Still Servant
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

No I haven't Feev. I'm sure if I had I would have enjoyed the film more. In theory at least.

I really liked the Comedian. I thought he was the most interesting character. I would have loved to see more about him.

Woofer
08-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Finally caught what is "widely regarded as the worst Austrailian film ever" - Houseboat Horror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097529/). Truly unfortunate. Bad acting, sound, effects, lighting, and mediocre script. Worse, I could tell the director worked hard to frame shots, but... it just didn't gel.

turtlex
08-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Finally caught what is "widely regarded as the worst Austrailian film ever" - Houseboat Horror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097529/). Truly unfortunate. Bad acting, sound, effects, lighting, and mediocre script. Worse, I could tell the director worked hard to frame shots, but... it just didn't gel.

Sounds a lot like Anaconda ... but that was US made. :D

pathoftheturtle
08-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Casey Affleck plays a Brooklyn private investigator. It's a gritty, harsh crime drama with contemporary detail, mildly graphic, which later becomes more of a mystery. Philosophically provocative. I'm now interested in the novel.

It's a fine production. I doubt the average person would notice any shortfall in the performances. Pretty impressive work from Ben Affleck as a director.

fernandito
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM

No I haven't Feev. I'm sure if I had I would have enjoyed the film more. In theory at least.

I really liked the Comedian. I thought he was the most interesting character. I would have loved to see more about him.[/QUOTE]

If you're interested enough, you should definitely check it out. I've noticed that people who have both read the book and seen the movie appreciate both that much more .. they compliment each other perfectly.

And yes, the Comedian is an excellent character, played to perfection by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Rorschach is still the best though :D

turtlex
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Casey Affleck plays a Brooklyn private investigator. It's a gritty, harsh crime drama with contemporary detail, mildly graphic, which later becomes more of a mystery. Philosophically provocative. I'm now interested in the novel.

It's a fine production. I doubt the average person would notice any shortfall in the performances. Pretty impressive work from Ben Affleck as a director.

Gone Baby Gone is set in Boston.

And it's great.

Set in Boston.

Woofer
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Sounds a lot like Anaconda ... but that was US made. :D

Oh man... Anaconda is like The African Queen compared to Houseboat Horror. Srsly, HH rivals Manos: The Hands of Fate.

pathoftheturtle
08-05-2009, 09:18 AM

And it's great.

Set in Boston.Oops. Really? Sorry.

Yeah, I liked it.

turtlex
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM

And it's great.

Set in Boston.Oops. Really? Sorry.

Yeah, I liked it.

Yup. Dorchester, is where most of it takes place.
With runs to Chelsea, Concord and my hometown - Quincy!!!

pathoftheturtle
08-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I really should have known. I even remember thinking, "Doesn't make much sense that he lives in Chelsea." :blush: I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. I'm still basically just a Midwestern country boy, despite what traveling I have done. That does make a lot of sense now. For one thing, I definitely did realize that Mystic River was Boston.

turtlex
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Path :couple: :huglove:

Pssst... Good Will Hunting... Also Boston. The Perfect Storm... Gloucester.

Ricky
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Just finished The Strangers. Quite good. Suspenseful film and well directed. I feel that it needed to be longer, however. The UR Director's Cut was only 2 minutes longer thatn the theatrical version. There are some parts that I was hoping to see in the film that weren't there. It's set to have a sequel to be filmed this fall, so hopefully it'll be good as well.

Overall, it was a good film: not boring, but not the best that I've seen. I'll give it 7/10.

Heather19
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Just finished The Strangers. Quite good. Suspenseful film and well directed. I feel that it needed to be longer, however. The UR Director's Cut was only 2 minutes longer thatn the theatrical version. There are some parts that I was hoping to see in the film that weren't there. It's set to have a sequel to be filmed this fall, so hopefully it'll be good as well.

Overall, it was a good film: not boring, but not the best that I've seen. I'll give it 7/10.

Now you should go watch Them :)

oh and have you seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon? If not, I'd highly recommend it. It's an interesting take on your typical slasher film. Shot as a documentary it follows around the next great serial killer as he prepares for his big killing spree.

Ricky
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Them? The 1954 version? :orely:

No, I haven't seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. However, I may have to--you make it sound rather interesting.

fernandito
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll second The Rise of Leslie Vernon - excellent movie.

Still Servant
08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I watched Righteous Kill last night.

It was pretty bad. Almost as bad as I thought. It might have been one of the worst scripts I've ever seen.

It had one of the worst and easiest to spot from a mile away plot twists in film history. They go so overboard making us think DeNiro is the killer and then in the end, surprise, it's Pacino. No shit.

I know a lot of people will see DeNiro and Pacino in a film and will themselves to like it, but that is not the case for me. Give it a try yourself, but don't expect much.

Heather19
08-06-2009, 03:26 PM

No, I haven't seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. However, I may have to--you make it sound rather interesting.

Nope sorry, the 2006 version, otherwise known as Ils. It's a French horror film with a similar premise to The Strangers. While I really enjoyed The Strangers, I found this one to be far more frightening and intense. And I don't scare too easily at films.
One word of warning, I would advise reading nothing about the film beforehand because it'll give too much away and it might take away some of the impact of the end of the film.
If you see it please let me know what you think.

And Feev, I was just watching it last night. I love that movie :couple:

Brice
08-07-2009, 05:18 AM

Nope sorry, the 2006 version, otherwise known as Ils. It's a French horror film with a similar premise to The Strangers. While I really enjoyed The Strangers, I found this one to be far more frightening and intense. And I don't scare too easily at films.
One word of warning, I would advise reading nothing about the film beforehand because it'll give too much away and it might take away some of the impact of the end of the film.
If you see it please let me know what you think.

And Feev, I was just watching it last night. I love that movie :couple:

Including this? :unsure:

DoctorDodge
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, the other night I watched a parody of all those old Hammer horror movies called Lesbian Vampire Killers on dvd. With a comedy that has as trashy a title like that, i was expecting it to be a lot funnier. I think the main problem I had with it was that it was trying too hard to be like Shaun of the Dead, which considering how different the George Romero zombie films and the Hammer movies are was completely the wrong direction to take. Really, it should've been more like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or Planet Terror: stuff it with as many bad cliches as you can that the target audience can recognise and therefore find funny: bad editing, hammy acting, along with dodgy special effects, not obvious jokes about how lazy the two main characters are. (Honestly, i found Planet Terror way more hilarious than all the Scary Movie films put together!)

Having said that, it IS worth watching the film for Paul McGann's hilarious and brilliantly cliched catholic vicar: one moment he's preaching about dealing with the "vampire whores", the next he gets pissed off and whispers, "Are you fucking with me?!?" Proof that Paul McGann can make any terrible film worth watching! 2/5

Woofer
08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Batman: The Dark Knight

I deliberately avoided any information about the movie except for what couldn't be helped.

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/dizzy.gif

candy
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Batman: The Dark Knight

I deliberately avoided any information about the movie except for what couldn't be helped.

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/dizzy.gif

and? did you like it? i loved it
batman the begining is still my fav tho

Woofer
08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I did! What a rollercoaster ride. I'm barely going to be able to keep from telling Mr. Woofer about it before he sees the rest. LOL! I think he's going to enjoy it vewy much, though.

fernandito
08-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Come on Woofer! What did you think of it? What did you like? What didn't you like? Favorite parts? Favorite quotes?

Details, details! :lol:

Woofer
08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I have to watch again before details, but I am amazed at how the franchise has turned itself around. Bale really is the best Batman, and they have totally embraced the billionaire with $$$ to put into being Batman.

I will say that one of my fave parts is the blackmailer. I adore Lucius's response when the blackmailer first tells him he knows Bruce Wayne is Batman.

cody44
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I've been on a movie binge for the last couple of weeks. I'll rate what I've seen.

Good Will Hunting: I really enjoyed this film, and I think that Robin Williams was excellent. 9/10

Gone Baby Gone: I thought it was really enjoyable, and it makes me want to read some Lehane 8/10

American Beauty: Wow, what can I say? 9.5/10

Liar Liar: It wasn't my favorite comedy, but it wasn't absolutely terrible either. 6/10

Mystic River: I really enjoyed this movie, and it's always great to see Tim Robbins. 8.5/10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Another great movie. 9/10

Vanilla Sky: Well, it was an experience. 8/10

The Departed: What an enjoyable film. 9/10

Edit*
Looking back over the movie's I've watched, it would appear I'm on a Boston kick. I can't get enough of that neighborhood.

fernandito
08-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Has anyone here seen The Fall? What an amazing movie. It has a simple story, but the cinematography and visuals alone warrant a viewing. It also features one of the best child performances I've ever seen. This movie has nowhere near the amount of recognition it deserves.

jayson
08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Has anyone here seen The Fall? What an amazing movie. It has a simple story, but the cinematography and visuals alone warrant a viewing. It also features one of the best child performances I've ever seen. This movie has nowhere near the amount of recognition it deserves.

i never even heard of it until you mentioned it, but i just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting. i may have to check it out. thanks feev.:D

Heather19
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM

i never even heard of it until you mentioned it, but i just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting. i may have to check it out. thanks feev.:D

:lol: I just did the same exact thing. Already added it to my neflix queue. I'm surprised there wasn't more talk about it, especially with David Fincher and Spike Jonze backing it and all. I had honestly never even heard of it before.

fernandito
08-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Seriously, do yourselves a favor and check this out at your earliest convenience. Let me know what you guys think of it :)

turtlex
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I've been on a movie binge for the last couple of weeks. I'll rate what I've seen.

Good Will Hunting: I really enjoyed this film, and I think that Robin Williams was excellent. 9/10

Gone Baby Gone: I thought it was really enjoyable, and it makes me want to read some Lehane 8/10

Liar Liar: It wasn't my favorite comedy, but it wasn't absolutely terrible either. 6/10

Mystic River: I really enjoyed this movie, and it's always great to see Tim Robbins. 8.5/10

Edit*
Looking back over the movie's I've watched, it would appear I'm on a Boston kick. I can't get enough of that neighborhood.

Wow. Yeah. Looks like you've been all over Boston.

I mean - Wicked. Yeh. Looks like yah been all oh-vah Bosthun. :D

cody44
08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Haha, so it would seem Turtlex. I've run out of good Boston movies though (or so it would seem.)

Just watched Memento for the first time. What a great way to tell a story, and love the way it makes the watcher feel as if they share in the memory loss due to the backwards storytelling. Great flick.

Still Servant
08-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Edit*

Wow Cody, you caught up on some great films recently.

Good Will Hunting is one of my personal favs. I can recite almost every line in that film.

Hey, since you've been watching Boston themed films, have you seen The Boondock Saints?

cody44
08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, I watched that movie two weeks ago. I loved it.

I just rented Choke, but have yet to watch it.

fernandito
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Quantum of Solace -

Was expecting great things after Casino Royale, but unfortunately this new director ditched the foundation started in CR and instead decided to make a generic action movie. It was entertaining, but it's still miles behind CR.

idk, my bff jill?
09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven't seem Casino Royale yet, so I should probably rent that sometime in the near future, but Quantum of Solace was just sort of boring. Nothing was surprising or exciting in any way. As soon as the credits started to roll, I just thought, "Wow. That's it?"

Seymour_Glass
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Casino ROyale is my favorite Bond movie.

ola
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I did not expect to like it at all, but I just watched I Love You, Man and really enjoyed it. It was funny throughout and had a heart to it that seems missing from a lot of relationship comedies. That is, the girlfriend wasn't one dimensional and/or annoying, and the main characters all had something human and relate-able going on (even the guy I wanted to hate on - Jason Segel).

Plus, Paul Rudd at his best since this:

YouTube - Paul Rudd in Wet Hot American Summer

pathoftheturtle
09-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Quantum of Solace -

Was expecting great things after Casino Royale, but unfortunately this new director ditched the foundation started in CR and instead decided to make a generic action movie. It was entertaining, but it's still miles behind CR.I totally agree. Plus, what was up with that title? In plain language, it means "comfort in small increments." :wtf:
Whatever that implies, was the film itself concerned at all with subtleties?
They should have just called it Googol of Pretension.

fernandito
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Old Boy - LOVED it! I have a soft spot for revenge driven films, and this one was fast paced and entertaining. Except for a dismembering scene, the violence was never too over the top, and it had a great story with a neat twist. Highly recommended :)

Melike
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Old Boy - LOVED it! I have a soft spot for revenge driven films, and this one was fast paced and entertaining. Except for a dismembering scene, the violence was never too over the top, and it had a great story with a neat twist. Highly recommended :)

Glad you've seen and liked it, Shizzie.

Still Servant
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM

I knew you'd like it.

Oldboy is great. I think everybody should see it.

darkwolf
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Oldboy's one of my favorite films! I'm actually contemplating on buying Blade Runner on blu-ray... I watched it when I was very very young and remember being bored as all shit. But from everything I hear, its treated as like a sci-fi holy grail. Any reviews from you guys? Should I or should I not? :orely:

ola
09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Re: Oldboy - now I finally have something good to rent again!

Just watched Big Man Japan. I thought it would be a lot of crazy Godzilla-spoofing goings-on, because that's how the movie was presented in trailers...but it was very slow, very quiet, and only had a few Giant Guy vs. Weird Monster scenes sprinkled here and there. These were nice to look at, but seemed more like cut scenes in a video game than part of the movie. See it if you want to enjoy a few minutes of the Hairy Eyeball Taint Monster in action. :orely:

Plus watched Galaxy Quest again for the first time in years. Boyfriend hadn't seen it. I think he finally got past the fact that Tim Allen was in it.

pathoftheturtle
09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Oldboy's one of my favorite films! I'm actually contemplating on buying Blade Runner on blu-ray... I watched it when I was very very young and remember being bored as all shit. But from everything I hear, its treated as like a sci-fi holy grail. Any reviews from you guys? Should I or should I not? :orely:Kids often get bored with films that they're not old enough to get... but in this case, it is indeed rather slow, somewhat dull on some levels, even for the average adult. Not that I don't appreciate the qualities that make it such a classic. If you want to think & go deep into the details, Blade Runner is definitely worthwhile, but if you need some simple action entertainment, I could recommend any number of great sci-fi films to rent instead, some only that, but awesomely, some with multiple layers.

darkwolf
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Oldboy's one of my favorite films! I'm actually contemplating on buying Blade Runner on blu-ray... I watched it when I was very very young and remember being bored as all shit. But from everything I hear, its treated as like a sci-fi holy grail. Any reviews from you guys? Should I or should I not? :orely:Kids often get bored with films that they're not old enough to get... but in this case, it is indeed rather slow, somewhat dull on some levels, even for the average adult. Not that I don't appreciate the qualities that make it such a classic. If you want to think & go deep into the details, Blade Runner is definitely worthwhile, but if you need some simple action entertainment, I could recommend any number of great sci-fi films to rent instead, some only that, but awesomely, some with multiple layers.

Yeah... I think I'll borrow it from a friend... I kind of like the neo-film noirish feel it has, and if I do enjoy it, I'll get it then. I'm open to any recommendations!

fernandito
11-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I just watched It's A Wonderful Life for the first time ...

A ... wonderful (:cyclops:) premise, with Jimmy Stewart at the top of his game delivering a performance thats captivating, heart warming, depressing, and intriguing all at the same time. The film is evenly paced, never becoming dull or dragging. Truly a gem of classical film making.

Brice
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, Feev....you're only a few decades behind on that review (and seeing the film of course). :P

Really? For the first time? Damn!

turtlex
11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Ah, feev. :couple:

Just a tad behind on the classics, hunh, bud?!?

fernandito
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'm doing my best to hunt down the classics I haven't seen yet. It's not that I don't want to see them, it's just that up until a few years ago, they were hard to get a hold of ... thank Gan for Netflix!!

Plus, I was born in 86' so cut me some slack :P

Heather19
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Feev :wub:
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I love that film.
So what's next on your classics list?

Brice
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Terminator 2? The Dark Knight?

pathoftheturtle
11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, Feev....you're only a few decades behind on that review (and seeing the film of course). :P

Really? For the first time? Damn!:rofl: My thoughts exactly.
I had seen it about a hundred times already by '86.
Good to catch those things, tho, that you might have somehow (seriously :beat: ) missed. Got a couple of classics, myself, that I still have never gotten to.

fernandito
11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Terminator 2? The Dark Knight?

Hmm.... I've never heard of those ...:orely:

Any good?

Melike
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM

*cough* Don't judge Bricey. <_<

Seymour_Glass
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I've never seen Singing in the Rain.

turtlex
11-03-2009, 01:06 PM
SG - Best get yourself to netflix !!! It's GREAT !

Seymour_Glass
11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
It's in queue.

turtlex
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
:thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
11-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Finally caught the entire movie Adventureland, and it is something, let me tell you...

darkwolf
11-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Bought Up on blu-ray for $10 at target (with the help of a $10 coupon found online). Just watched it, and it was brilliant... Exceeded my expectations as most Pixar movies do. Excellent flick, darkwolf approved.

fernandito
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I loved UP, I was fortunate enough to watch in theaters - 3D. Definitely in my top 3 Pixar films.

Brice
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM

I agree Bricey shouldn't be judged.

You forgot a comma. :P

Melike
11-13-2009, 05:17 AM

I agree Bricey shouldn't be judged.

You forgot a comma. :P
Ah, I see. I forgot a comma. But you forgot what could happen to you if I rename you. <_<

<_< I told you to correct my mistakes. I never said correct me in a sarcastic way. Anyway, I now don't believe that Bricey shouldn't be judged. <_<

Brice
11-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Uh oh! :scared:

I was just teasing a little. :cry:

kluker
11-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I really want to see All saints day but it isn't playing here:pullhair:

but we bought up and IT the other loved UP! Haven't finishe IT yet have to wait for the little one to sleep :cry:

But we watched Golden yrs the other night that was a good movie:panic:

Melike
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Uh oh! :scared:

I was just teasing a little. :cry:

I was just doing an experiment.

Brice
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Experimenting on me? :scared:

Melike
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Experimenting on me? :scared:
Why so surprised Mr. O.S.O.?

*It is because of you we are off topic. I am innocent. Just saying.*

Brice
11-13-2009, 04:42 PM
:nope: Staff are ALWAYS on topic. It is in the small print of the FAQ. :innocent:

Not surprised...just a little scared. :unsure:

turtlex
11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone getting the BluRay of Fight Club?!

This is great....
Surprise surprise...don't panic (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-fight-club-bluray.html)

Don't be shocked when you load up your new Blu-ray version of director David Fincher's 1999 cult classic "Fight Club" this holiday season and the menu screen appears to be from the Drew Barrymore romantic comedy "Never Been Kissed." It turns out it's all a prank by Fincher.

Seymour_Glass
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nana::nana:

turtlex
11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Just gotta throw this out there...

I just got the 70th Anniversary Edition of Gone With The Wind and I've very impressed so far.

It's a limited editon of 150,000 ( which is high!! ) and comes in this fancy red velvet box.

There's this cool hardcover book, ten reproduction art prints, these funky copies of letters between selznick, fleming, etc. It also comes with a repro of the original program and a music sampler! All fit very nicely in the oversized box.

I got the BluRay edition which comes with a bonus 6 hour disc called MGM:When The Lion Roared - in addition to all the "regular" bonus material you get with a DVD set.

I plan on watching the movie on Thanksgiving with my girlfriend - but wanted to post. This set is super cool and if you're a GWTW fan... definitely worth it.

mystima
11-21-2009, 01:46 AM
If you are up for another classic movie try Bell, Book, and Candle. It is a romantic comedy with Jimmy Stuart and Kim Novak. I fell in love with this movie when i was in high school back in 88.

Seymour_Glass
11-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Kicking and Screaming (The 95 film by Noah baumbach, not the Will Ferrel drivel):

This movie was, more than anything, true. I knew those people on screen, I identified with them, shit, I even talk like them. A lot. It was a wonderful piece of screenwriting, acted so naturally that it didn't seem like acting.

fernandito
11-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Taken-

A solid action film, and I like that the high-tech weaponry/gadgetry angle was played down a bit in order to provide Neeson's character ample time to show off his characters's CQC techniques.