PDA

View Full Version : Elliott Smith

obscurejude
06-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I just have to know, are there any other Elliott Smith fans on the site? Most of you know that his music is a big part of my life, and very influential to me as a singer/songwriter. I'd love to discuss Elliott in this thread, but please keep it respectful. Thanks.

hoin1585
06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I just heard his song 5 minutes ago in Youtube.

Miss MIsery , a cool song. : )

Unfound One
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM
He's not nearly as dear to me as he is to you Ryan, but this video is pretty cool, and I know you like the song a lot. You've probably seen it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=37k_Ri1XxEc

Thanks for introducing me. :)

mia/susannah
06-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Ryan, I am sorry but I have never heard of Elliot Smith. What kind of music does he play?

Heather19
06-22-2008, 06:00 AM
I enjoy his music. But I must confess the only album of his that I have is his self titled one. I've been meaning to pick up some more but haven't gotten around to it.

Bethany
06-22-2008, 06:09 AM
i'm not real familiar with his music yet but what OJ has introduced me to is great.

obscurejude
06-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Ryan, I am sorry but I have never heard of Elliot Smith. What kind of music does he play?

He was one of those types that hated titles, so I really hesitate. Most of what he did was acoustic, with some folk chops, but most of the songs were more pop in structure- impressions rather than definitive meanings and many different chord changes and structures. He did three independent albums in the early 90's that were extremely personal, and dark for the most part; Roman Candle, Self Titled, and Either/Or. His last two albums were on Dreamworks: XO and Figure 8. These had a much "bigger" sound because of the newfound funding, orchestral arrangements, piano, and session musicians. From a Basement was released after he died, and recorded in his basement like his earlier albums.

Milissa, he was just an honest soul. Most of his songs deal with very depressing themes like drug abuse, clinical depression, and lost love- but the arrangements are more beautiful than anything else I have heard. You have to look for them a little hard, but they're are some happy ones too.

obscurejude
06-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I enjoy his music. But I must confess the only album of his that I have is his self titled one. I've been meaning to pick up some more but haven't gotten around to it.

"New Moon" was released last summer and is a two discs conglomeration of previously unreleased acoustic tracks that Elliott recorded for Kill Rock Stars during the "Self Titled" and "Either/Or" sessions. Every track is absolutely amazing and really has the same feel as the early stuff.

obscurejude
06-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for introducing me. :)

That is a great video. For those of you who don't know, Elliott killed himself in 2003. The wall in the video formed the back drop to his Figure 8 album cover and in reality is the side of a used appliance store in Los Angeles. When he died, fans started showing up and writing messages on the wall.

Very moving video, its made me cry several times.

Of course it makes me Really happy to introduce anyone to his music.

obscurejude
06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I just heard his song 5 minutes ago in Youtube.

Miss MIsery , a cool song. : )

That's great hoin. That song was what catapulted Elliott into the mainstream in 1997, if only for a little while. It was nominated for an academy award for the movie "Good Will Hunting.'

Heather19
06-22-2008, 09:19 AM

"New Moon" was released last summer and is a two discs conglomeration of previously unreleased acoustic tracks that Elliott recorded for Kill Rock Stars during the "Self Titled" and "Either/Or" sessions. Every track is absolutely amazing and really has the same feel as the early stuff.

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out.

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
SJ - what is the name of that song for the video you posted? i can't find it.

ETA: now i'm totally addicted to this guy and it's all your fault ryan! :P

Unfound One
06-25-2008, 12:30 PM
It's called Between the Bars from his album Either/Or.
It might be my favorite Elliott song, but I'm working on my collection so we'll see.

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
okay, that was freaky. i had elliott smith up on my itunes because i was putting things into my cart but i had his main page up (you know, with all the albums listed?). when i went back to it guess which album was open. that's right - either/or. how scary is that?

dayum! :scared:

Unfound One
06-25-2008, 12:36 PM
It's all nineteen. :)

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
In case anyone missed it, I've got an Elliott tattoo:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii303/rtbradle/HPIM1933.jpg?t=1214445657

Taken from the Figure 8 cover which became a memorial as I've explained above. The top says:

E.S.

1969-2003

I'm going to put some lyrics under it, but I wanted to take some more time- there's just so many that mean so much to me.

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
SJ

ETA: now i'm totally addicted to this guy and it's all your fault ryan! :P

You have no idea how happy that makes me turtlesong. :couple: That was one of the reasons I wanted to start a thread. I was hoping that some might be turned on to Elliott for the first time. Let me know if you want some recommendations. :)

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
nice tat. and you're quite the little cutie aren't you? :huglove:

and i'm totally blaming you for the close to $50 i dropped at itunes pal so hopefully you can deal with that. :evil:

p.s. i'm playing the hell out of the needle in the hay ep and figure 8.

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
nice tat. and you're quite the little cutie aren't you? :huglove:

Thanks turtle. :huglove:

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
and i'm totally blaming you for the close to $50 i dropped at itunes pal so hopefully you can deal with that. :evil:

p.s. i'm playing the hell out of the needle in the hay ep and figure 8.

I'll take the blame, but I think the 50 dollars went a looooong way. :D

Both great albums. My favorites:

Needle in the Hay

Needle in the Hay
Christian Brothers
Clementine
Coming Up Roses
St. Ides Heaven
The Biggest Lie

Figure 8

Son of Sam
Somebody I Used to Know
Everything Reminds me of Her
Stupidity Tries

Let me qualify these lists by saying they are my favorites, but there's no Elliott song I don't like. Every song on every album is infinitely listenable and you can't say that much in our mp3 era.

Turtle, if you like Figure 8, you'll probably love XO- the other major label album he did for Dreamworks (also his bestselling).

And once again, it makes me so happy that you're enjoying him so much. :couple:

Unfound One
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I've got Either/Or, XO, and New Moon.
I don't know if it's because the two latter ones are newer to me and I don't know the music as well yet, but I still think my favorite so far is Either/Or. I like the more acoustic sound....

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I've got Either/Or, XO, and New Moon.
I don't know if it's because the two latter ones are newer to me and I don't know the music as well yet, but I still think my favorite so far is Either/Or. I like the more acoustic sound....

Me too, it took awhile for the bigger sounding stuff to grow on me, but it did. Elliott has such a gift for arrangements, just listen to Stupidity Tries or Son of Sam- there's so many chord changes and structures. I came to realize that he was doing the same thing as he did on songs like Angeles, but with a bigger budget.

But yeah, he's best when its just him and the acoustic. Everything is so stripped down and pure. You've got to get the self titled SJ. Its incredibly similar to Either/Or.

Unfound One
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm currently working on it...

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
:)

Unfound One
06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
But yeah, he's best when its just him and the acoustic. Everything is so stripped down and pure. You've got to get the self titled SJ. Its incredibly similar to Either/Or.

Yes yes yes.

Heather19
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Definately pick it up SJ. All the songs on that album are great.

And I completely agree about acoustic music. It's much more emotional.

obscurejude
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
SJ got it. :)

Unfound One
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Hell yeah she do!

Heather19
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh good, I hope you're enjoying it.

I'm gonna have to toss some of his other albums onto my mp3 player, I haven't really listened to him in awhile, but this thread has got me craving some Elliott.

Unfound One
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
:) :) :)

obscurejude
06-27-2008, 06:16 PM
:thumbsup:

:cool:

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I picked up his self-titled album a while ago. I've been listening to it near-constantly.

obscurejude
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the Elliott thread seymour. :couple:

Do you have any of the other albums?

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
No. I bought Son of Sam and Ballad of Big Nothing on iTunes, though.

obscurejude
06-29-2008, 08:24 PM
If you like the Self Titled, you'll love Either/Or, the other indie album he did for Kill Rock Stars. As much as I like Ballad of Big Nothing, its one of my least favorites from Either/Or.

Buy the Album. Proceeds go to the Elliott Smith foundation. :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
06-30-2008, 03:54 AM
I need money.

obscurejude
06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Elliott is worth skipping a few meals, I speak from experience. When I first got into him, I went to an indie record store and bought everything he had ate nothing but rice for about five days.

obscurejude
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I just found a beautiful and haunting review of Elliott's "New Moon," the posthumous album released last summer. Thought I'd share:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/elliott-smith/new-moon.htm

Seymour_Glass
07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Elliott is worth skipping a few meals, I speak from experience. When I first got into him, I went to an indie record store and bought everything he had ate nothing but rice for about five days.

That's one of the most inspirational things I've ever heard.

Seymour_Glass
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I bought XO yesterday. Good stuff.

obscurejude
07-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I bought XO yesterday. Good stuff.

Awesome Seymour. :thumbsup: It's a great album. My favorites on XO are:

Baby Britain
Waltz #2 (XO)
Pitselah
Independence Day (one of my favorite Elliott Smith guitar opening riffs)

As always, I love the whole album, but these four are my favorites. Hope you continue to enjoy it Seymour. There's a great video for Baby Britain that you can find on you tube which has a lot of cool scenes of Elliott recording and walking around New York.

Seymour_Glass
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Sweet, man. And all of the songs you mentioned are my faves, too.

obscurejude
07-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Sweet, man. And all of the songs you mentioned are my faves, too.

I'm listening to XO now because you brought it to my attention. I really haven't listened to it in awhile and I forgot just how much I like it. Thanks.

Heather19
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I've actually been listening to this one alot lately too. Waltz #2 is one of my favorite songs of his now.
I also put either/or on my mp3 player, but haven't really listened to it yet. I just keep going for XO.

obscurejude
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I've actually been listening to this one alot lately too. Waltz #2 is one of my favorite songs of his now.
I also put either/or on my mp3 player, but haven't really listened to it yet. I just keep going for XO.

From the people I've talked to, XO usually comes up as the favorite. With most of his albums, I listened to them non stop until I "mastered" it. I wanted to experience what he had to offer specifically with an album before moving on to the next one so I completely understand putting Either/Or on hold. I think its such a testament these days to find an artist that puts out good albums and not just hit songs. In my opinion, John Mayer is a contemporary artist that does a really good job of this. Dave Mathews would be another example. :)

Heather19
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I completely agree with Dave Matthews. He's my all time favorite, and I would even put him up there as one of the best singer/songwriters of our time.

Matticus-Finch
07-13-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm listening to Cupid's Trick right now. Man oh man.

By the way, your tattoo is awesome!

obscurejude
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks Matticus.

Seymour_Glass
07-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Do you recommend any Heatmiser stuff?

Unfound One
07-17-2008, 12:00 PM
NP: Because from the American Beauty soundtrack. :)

obscurejude
07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Do you recommend any Heatmiser stuff?

Heatmiser is okay, but I don't necessarily recommend them for Elliott fans specifically. Elliott often talked about how dissatisfied he was with the music they were making, how everyone who showed up to the shows seemed so different from who him. Roman Candle and the Self Titled albums were responses to Heatmiser and they sound very different.

Have you listened to From a Basement? Its Elliott's last album, the one he was working on when he died. Some reviewers really feel like it has a lot of Heatmiser elements in it due to its aggression and "noise." I love this album but I'm not sure I agree with that.

Have you heard any Heatmiser?

Seymour_Glass
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
No.

Seymour_Glass
08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I picked up Figure 8 and From a Basement on the Hill.Distorted Reality is possibly my favorite Elliot Smith song ever.

obscurejude
11-27-2008, 07:51 PM
October 21st was the five year anniversary of Elliott's death. Elliott spent a lot of time in the Portland area and a public radio station did a great segment on him and talked with several of his friends including Neil Gust (fellow heatmiser member) and Autumn De Wilde (did the artwork for Figure 8 as well as a recent book of unpublished photographs).

Here's the link to the website:

http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/opb/posts/list/1736412.page;jsessionid=8B52C1E77B408E3B43648C0E65 F31CA5

obscurejude
11-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I picked up Figure 8 and From a Basement on the Hill.Distorted Reality is possibly my favorite Elliot Smith song ever.

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile to respond Seymour.

"A Distorted Reality is now a Necessity to be Free" is a great song. I love how he says "Fuck" in the chorus.

"My momma told me, 'Baby Stay Clean, there's no in between'"
"The devil's script sells you the heart of black bird...because you don't give a fuck..fuck"

What are some tracks that you like off of Figure 8? I think "Someone that I used to Know" is one of his best.

Seymour_Glass
11-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I love Son of Sam, L.A., Someone that I used to know, Junk Bond Trader and Stupidity Tries.

I also got Either/Or. It's one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.

A friend burned me New Moon, but I haven't been able to listen to it yet.

Unfound One
11-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Either/Or is absolutely my favorite.

It was my first exposure to Elliott and I love love love how acoustic it is.
Between the Bars and Say Yes are my two favorite songs.

obscurejude
11-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I love Son of Sam, L.A., Someone that I used to know, Junk Bond Trader and Stupidity Tries.

I also got Either/Or. It's one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.

A friend burned me New Moon, but I haven't been able to listen to it yet.

All good choices. "Somebody that I used to know" is my favorite on Figure 8 and one of my all time Elliott songs. "Stupidity Tries" is also a great song. "Everything Reminds me of Her" is also up there for me.

I think you'll love New Moon if you really liked Either/Or. Most of the songs on New Moon are leftover songs from the Either/Or period and have the same aesthetic.

obscurejude
11-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I finally learned how to travis style finger pick. :) This freed me to learn Angeles and a few others. Between the Bars and Say Yes are fairly easy for Elliott songs but they're both tuned down a whole step and thus inconvenient.

Seymour_Glass
11-29-2008, 07:14 PM

I love them both, too. My two favorites are 2:45 AM and Pictures of Me.

Daghain
11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
My absolute favorite Elliott Smith song is Waltz #2. Love, love, love that song. All his CD's are on my iPod now (thanks, jude!) but that is the one I fell in love with before I knew who he was. (Yahoo Launch! is the devil :lol:)

obscurejude
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
You're welcome. :couple: Waltz #2 is a common favorite. Its one of the more personal songs on XO. I read in an interview with his sister that he wrote it about his mom and actually changed a lot of the lyrics in order to make them less specific. Still rather personal if you ask me. "Pretty Mary K" is also about his mom and there's some lyrical overlap with Waltz #2.

He plays a live version of Waltz"2 at the beginning of "Strange Parallel," a documentary that you can find on you tube. The quality is pretty bad, but I have no idea how to get the original copy since very few were made.

So glad that you picked up his other stuff. Its impossible to be a fan and not find some kind of personal solace in his music. Everyone who listens to Elliott is compelled to make his stuff their own.

Frunobulax
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Elliott Smith is easily one of my favourite artists period. The Heatmiser stuff is great to listen to, but it definitely is miles away from his solo stuff, especially the music on Either/Or. Yeah, this thread needs more love.

obscurejude
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Definitely needs more love. Nice to have you in the Elliott thread Fruno. :couple:

Feel free to share the specific songs you like or anything related to Elliott Smith. I love hearing how his music has impacted people.

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Elliott Smith has been on my mind non stop for about 3 days. I found a guy on youtube that's been posting good quality videos of one of Elliott's last shows before he died. A lot of the songs are featured on From A Basement but some of the older ones are there as well. Here's Fond Farewell and Memory Lane two of my favorites and two of the saddest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKXX-4yp5rE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WjYgsygik

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
This is an interesting interview with Larry Crane, who used to produce with Elliott and was selected by his family to archive his work. He's also the guy who put New Moon together and suggests a bonus disc may be in the works which I'm extremely pleased about.

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/features/2009/elliott_smith_archives_larry_c.php

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 07:25 PM
This is a great take on some of Elliott Smith's most over rated and under rated songs by Magnet magazine. At the bottom of the page, three links are listed of past articles written about Elliott. I highly recommend reading them.

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/03/31/the-overunder-elliott-smith/

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
This is a link to a new book that was written about the creation of XO, Elliott's major debut and best selling album. I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, but I plan on reading it soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Smiths-XO-33-3/dp/0826429009/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238478212&sr=8-2

Unfound One
05-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Gosh, those videos are really excellent.

It's wonderful to see videos where he's talking with fans like these and it's NOT an interview - it's so obvious in interviews that he's uncomfortable.
I really wish I could make out the last 1.5 minutes of the first one, but the second:
"I can't stand up because I don't have any knees."
He seems like such a gentle soul. With a great sense of humour. :)

Brice
05-25-2009, 03:45 AM
This is a link to a new book that was written about the creation of XO, Elliott's major debut and best selling album.[b] I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, but I plan on reading it soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Smiths-XO-33-3/dp/0826429009/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238478212&sr=8-2

Thanks for the links and videos, my friend.

Oh, and you can find slightly cheaper copies on abebooks:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=elliott+smith+Elliott+Smith%27s+X O+%2833+1%2F3+series%29&x=55&y=13

Heather19
05-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Ryan thanks for posting those videos :couple:
I really enjoyed them.

And you weren't kidding, I got a little teary eyed listening to that first song.

Unfound One
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
If anybody's interested, this is the setlist for that show. Maxximoo (this youtube user who posted the videos) has posted the first 10 and Brand New Game, number 20. You can "add" them to your playlist on youtube in order, set it to autoplay, and watch through the show.

It's kind of a neat experience. :)

01) King's Crossing (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?145)
02) Memory Lane (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?138)
03) Happiness (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?75)
04) No Confidence Man (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?11)
05) A Passing Feeling (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?133)
06) I Figured You Out (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?83)
07) Fond Farewell (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?135)
08) Strung Out Again (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?141)
09) Twilight (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?140)
10) Coming up Roses (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?19)
11) A Distorted Reality is Now a Necessity to be Free (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?82)
12) Pretty (Ugly Before) (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?81)
13) Plainclothes Man (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?120)
14) Long Long Long
15) No Name #1 (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?3)
16) Division Day (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?26)
17) I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure it Out (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?28)
18) I Better Be Quiet Now (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?77)
19) Say Yes (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?40)
20) Brand New Game (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?155)
21) Shooting Star (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?139)

I found the setlist at www.somesongs.net - a very cool Elliott resource.

idk, my bff jill?
05-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I can listen to New Moon over and over and still not get tired of it.

Awesome thread, Ryan.

obscurejude
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Ryan thanks for posting those videos :couple:
I really enjoyed them.

And you weren't kidding, I got a little teary eyed listening to that first song.

You are most welcome Heather. :couple:

obscurejude
05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
This is a link to a new book that was written about the creation of XO, Elliott's major debut and best selling album.[b] I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, but I plan on reading it soon.

Thanks for the links and videos, my friend.

Oh, and you can find slightly cheaper copies on abebooks:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=elliott+smith+Elliott+Smith%27s+X O+%2833+1%2F3+series%29&x=55&y=13

Thanks for the link Brice. I noticed on the Amazon link that Larry Crane actually gives the book an excellent rating. I'm buying it as soon as I move.

obscurejude
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I can listen to New Moon over and over and still not get tired of it.

Awesome thread, Ryan.

Oh, I know. I think it might be my favorite out of everything. Its the kind of album that just possesses you from the beginning and doesn't let go. Its been two and half years since it was released and I still can't get enough of it.

Its great to see you in here Paula. :rose:

obscurejude
05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
If anybody's interested, this is the setlist for that show. Maxximoo (this youtube user who posted the videos) has posted the first 10 and Brand New Game, number 20. You can "add" them to your playlist on youtube in order, set it to autoplay, and watch through the show.

It's kind of a neat experience. :)

01) King's Crossing (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?145)
02) Memory Lane (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?138)
03) Happiness (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?75)
04) No Confidence Man (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?11)
05) A Passing Feeling (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?133)
06) I Figured You Out (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?83)
07) Fond Farewell (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?135)
08) Strung Out Again (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?141)
09) Twilight (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?140)
10) Coming up Roses (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?19)
11) A Distorted Reality is Now a Necessity to be Free (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?82)
12) Pretty (Ugly Before) (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?81)
13) Plainclothes Man (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?120)
14) Long Long Long
15) No Name #1 (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?3)
16) Division Day (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?26)
17) I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure it Out (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?28)
18) I Better Be Quiet Now (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?77)
19) Say Yes (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?40)
20) Brand New Game (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?155)
21) Shooting Star (http://www.somesongs.net/lyrics.php?139)

I found the setlist at www.somesongs.net - a very cool Elliott resource.

Thank you for doing all this SJ. :thumbsup:

And sorry for not multi quoting guys, sometimes it just seems impersonal in my opinion so I wanted to respond on an individual basis.

Unfound One
05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Not a problem. :)

I actually watched through it twice this morning before getting started on my paper.
It's cool that you can put it on autoplay - it almost seems like it was one big video and it was just cut up. I just wish he had the whole show...

When connecting Strung Out Again and Somebody's Baby (I think of it as that, not Twilight) a few people yell out songs. Some guy says "play Somebody's Baby," and Elliott kinda nods and looks like he's considering what to play next... And then he plays Somebody's Baby. It's possible he had the set list planned out, but I'd like to think that he was the kind of guy who just went with his gut at shows and played what felt right. That, and it seems like he formed an connection with his audience, which instantly makes his performances captivating.

Also, it seems like his fans were for the most part quite a reverent bunch - they're silent whenever he plays, which is very cool. I really appreciate that everybody's not singing along.

obscurejude
05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I read that Elliott's set lists were completely random most of the time. The only time that changed was when he felt obligated under contract to promote the records he did for DreamWorks, "I completely expect to be crushed by the recording industry." He was under no such obligation at this show since From A Basement was going to be independently released even before he died. A lot of the live bootlegs you find will begin with Elliott asking the crowd what they want to hear.

Unfound One
05-25-2009, 02:20 PM
That's very cool.
And it seems to ring true to him as a person as well.

Fuck. I need to stay out of this thread because it sends me to YouTube and then I get nothing that I need to get done accomplished.

Heather19
05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for posting the show. I'll definitely give it a listen soon.

That's nice to hear that he would play what he felt at the time, or songs the audience wanted to hear. You don't really hear about many artists doing that.

Unfound One
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I just purchased New Moon and Elliott Smith (self-titled) on vinyl, as well as a New Moon poster.
I was going to get Either/Or, of course, but my roomie yelled at me not to because "I always ruin her surprises" - she bought it for me for a late birthday present. :)

That's really all to report, I'm just really freaking excited about it.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice.

Unfound One
06-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Audio clips:

I love this (http://cfmceroz.com/audio0001/Resources/IndependenceDay.mp3) live. (Independence Day)

Here's Somebody's Baby live (http://ia310120.us.archive.org/1/items/esmith2000-10-21.flac/es2000-10-21t16_vbr.mp3) with a pretty big crowd.

And in this (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eashonk/mp3/Everything_Means_Nothing.mp3), he plays the piano live in Japan, December 2000. (Everything Means Nothing To Me - aborted)

And in this (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eashonk/mp3/Junk_Bond_Trader_Piano.mp3), too. (Junk Bond Trader)

In this (http://home.comcast.net/%7Etshonk/mp3/Knives_Out.mp3) one, he plays some AC/DC, and then I think he realizes about halfway through that his audience might not speak much English.

Video clips:

My favorite song (http://ia310110.us.archive.org/1/items/esmith2003-09-19.flac/esmith2003-09-19-sayyes.mov) from his last show. (Say Yes)

Elliott on songwriting. I wish this was just the link... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgNAXlBDeZw)
Elliott impersonating/talking about Elvis at a show. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnePjabC3sM).
And, of course, a Hank Williams, Jr. cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc69ZnDJWfc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blamonet.com%2Fvb%2Fshowthre ad.php%3Ft%3D67723%26page%3D8&feature=player_embedded) with Elliott laughing throughout. It's lovely.

Unfound One
06-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Okay, I know I've begun to bogart this thread a bit, but I've spent every waking moment the past two days online searching around for anything Elliott.

Among many things I found, this (http://www.archive.org/details/esmith2000-11-10.flac) is one of my favorites so far. It's an electric show - November 10, 2000 - at the Roseland in Portland. He opens with Needle in the Hay - a song I've not heard electric before now.
The quality is AMAZING and it's great to hear a live show all the way through. :)
Interesting to note: The last song is a cover of Yer Blues.

(Note: At the link you can stream by song, or download the whole thing. That website has MANY other live shows - enjoy!)