PDA

View Full Version : Of Mice and Men or Mockingbird?

Mark
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
My class chose Mockingbird, me along side them, to study for my English lit. Which is better in your opinion? My teacher likes Mockingibrd.

Darkthoughts
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Hmm, I've reread To Kill A Mockingbird many times, although we didn't do it for GCSE, we did Of Mice And Men - and I've not read that since.

However, that probably says more about how studying a book in class can detract from its enjoyment, as opposed to reading it for and by yourself.

obscurejude
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Scout (Ka Tet) is a huge Mocking Bird fan. Hopefully he can let you in on some of the magic.

Unfound One
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
:lol: I knew you would go there Ryan.

CyberGhostface
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Well, I haven't read Mice yet, but I have read Mockingbird and I thought that was a very good book. But from what I have read about it, I'd still probably like Mockingbird better. So out of the two, I'd choose that.

Mark
06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Dean (Scout(Ka tet)) speaks to be on msn of his love of it all the time :lol:

obscurejude
06-11-2008, 01:52 PM
:lol: I knew you would go there Ryan.

I couldn't resist.

Mark, is his screen name loveforscout19 or something like that?

Mark
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Close, but no cigar.

{Dexan}{Diin}{Dekaani}{Dean, I dont like people, they fuck me up }-"If ka will say so, let it be so...."-I love you so much Joss

It's that.

obscurejude
06-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Close, but no cigar.

{Dexan}{Diin}{Dekaani}{Dean, I dont like people, they fuck me up }-"If ka will say so, let it be so...."-I love you so much Joss

It's that.

I really wasn't too close. You guys really seem like some cool high schoolers, and that means a lot coming from me. I usually deplore your kind.

For my part, I enjoyed Mice and Men, but I think a good teacher can make either of the books intriguing on a number of levels.

Mark
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
My teacher is cool, and he's just left high school.

obscurejude
06-11-2008, 02:06 PM
My teacher is cool, and he's just left high school.

I'm excited to hear about what kind of teachers are stage right high school.

fernandito
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
"And I"ll get to tend them rabbits!"

Ricky
06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Mockingbird is an excellent read. I read it a couple years ago. I think that you'll enjoy it.

jayson
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I personally prefer To Kill a Mockingbird, though I think both are good books.

turtlex
06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Both books are excellent, IMHO.

( caveat - To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites )

To study, however, I think To Kill A Mockingbird is the way to go. It covers so much, in a single story ( racism, classism, trust, honor, place, time, etc ) that it's hard to beat.

That said - I first read it in an Advanced Social Studies class, which I found to be very appropriate.

It is an all time American Classic.

Of Mice and Men, though excellent, is very "contained" and exists in it's own small place.

jhanic
06-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I love both books and have reread them both within the past year. Of the two, I'd pick To Kill a Mockingbird as the better.

John

Shamey
06-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I really enjoyed reading Of Mice and Men. I also remember having a group writing exercise. We had to write a short story about the main characters. My group wrote that Lenny had a dream he was in a room filled with different colored rabbits. Then they all morphed into a giant rabbit that grabbed Lenny and proceeded to pet him to death. Ahh, high school was awesome...

Ves'Ka Gan
06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh, I think they are both very goos & both provide a lot of fodder for great class discussion...

I would have hard time chosing between the two, although for class--I guess Of Mice & Men is shorter!

Daghain
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I have not read Of Mice and Men.

But I am totally in love with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Ruthful
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I would never pass on an opportunity to read Steinbeck.

I have to be honest and admit that I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird, which is, admittedly, very strange for someone who spent all of his educational career in the American public school system. Ditto for Catcher in the Rye.

Daghain
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah, try 8 years in Catholic school. The list of what I haven't read is as long as my arm.

And I have a BA in English. :lol:

Ruthful
06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I had tons of friends who went to parochial school-very demented, but fun, people for the most part.

:cyclops:

It's funny, because almost all of the literature I read in college-outside of the standard survey English, Western Civ. and classical literature courses-was American, e.g. Hawthorne, Melville, Frank Norris, Stephen Crane, Henry James, Willa Cather, etc. Magaret Laurence too-I suppose a novelist who's Canadian is close enough.

:P

Jean
06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I have not read Of Mice and Men.

But I am totally in love with To Kill a Mockingbird.
same

Ka-tet
06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Scout (Ka Tet) is a huge Mocking Bird fan. Hopefully he can let you in on some of the magic.

I need not say a word....

loveforscout19 haha that one made me laugh, and im gonna put in in there just for you

{Dexan}{Diin}{Dekaani}{Dean, loveforscout19 }-"If ka will say so, let it be so...."-I love you so much Joss.

New and improved version ^.^

obscurejude
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM

:lol:

Sorry about giving you a hard time dude. I mean it as a joke. You and Mark are the highschoolers across the pond that make me reconsider being an English teacher.

Rjeso
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
I'd say TKAM has a slight edge over OMAM, but I love them both.

Ka-tet
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Sorry about giving you a hard time dude. I mean it as a joke. You and Mark are the highschoolers across the pond that make me reconsider being an English teacher.

Even if i told you i hate to study english?(sorry ><)

And i enjoy the joke ^.^.

obscurejude
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM

Even if i told you i hate to study english?(sorry ><)

And i enjoy the joke ^.^.

Cool. You seem like the kind of students that might really enjoy a young teacher full of radical ideas- even if you didn't like the subject so much to begin with.

Ka-tet
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Im sure i would.

Anyway school is over for me now, and its off to collage in a few months ^.^. Which im really looking forward to.

obscurejude
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Im sure i would.

Anyway school is over for me now, and its off to collage in a few months ^.^. Which im really looking forward to.

Ahhh, I remember the lunch lady photo. Congratulations Dean.

Mark
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Someone like you would make an amazing English teacher. You're so knowledgable and stuff.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM

I have to be honest and admit that I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird, which is, admittedly, very strange for someone who spent all of his educational career in the American public school system. Ditto for Catcher in the Rye.
I agree. Stienbeck is one of my favorite authors.

However, you do need to get to the library or book store PRONTO and fix the above stated problem. Both are great books, Mockingbird I think is timeless, although I thinking something is lost on Catcher if you didn't read it as a teenager.

sarah
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Loved both books very much but if I have to choose, I pick To Kill a Mockingbird.

The Lady of Shadows
06-12-2008, 07:01 PM
to kill a mockingbird. definitely.

Ka-tet
06-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Im sure i would.

Ahhh, I remember the lunch lady photo. Congratulations Dean.

Many thanks sai, and i second the motion on you making a good teacher!

CRinVA
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I just finished re-listening to TKAM like a week ago. I'd forgotten just how much I like that story. OMAM is a good read but not comparable if you ask me. JMHO of course.

Ricky
06-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Oh jeeze, I would pass it up in a heartbeat. The Grapes of Wrath was unbearably terrible, IMO. Definitely the worst book I've read.

The Lady of Shadows
06-13-2008, 07:56 PM
can't stand steinbeck. hated him in junior high, hated him in high school, hated him in college. of course, that's just me. :orely:

Jean
06-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Oh jeeze, I would pass it up in a heartbeat. The Grapes of Wrath was unbearably terrible, IMO.
so was East of Eden. The Winter of Our Discontent was passable, though, and I positively liked Travels with Charley: In Search of America. But certainly none of them compares with To Kill a Mockingbird, which is one of my favorite books ever.

jayson
06-14-2008, 06:46 AM
can't stand steinbeck. hated him in junior high, hated him in high school, hated him in college. of course, that's just me. :orely:

it's not just you. i can't stand Steinbeck

Ricky
06-14-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going to have my head torn off after posting that. :lol:

razz
06-15-2008, 07:19 AM
i ain't read of mice and men, but it can't be worse than "Mockingbird". the only thing that can get that award is "The Great Gatsby"

Ves'Ka Gan
06-15-2008, 08:06 AM

Oh jeeze, I would pass it up in a heartbeat. The Grapes of Wrath was unbearably terrible, IMO.
so was East of Eden. The Winter of Our Discontent was passable, though, and I positively liked Travels with Charley: In Search of America. But certainly none of them compares with To Kill a Mockingbird, which is one of my favorite books ever.

Oh, now I loved East of Eden. I thought the story was great and the descriptions of the motehr were amazing...but that's me. Hell, I sort of like Grapes.. and I know I stand in the minority on that.

cozener
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Mockingbird. I'm a huge fan. Even gave my first son the middle name "Atticus" :)

Mice and Men I found hard to get through.

Girlystevedave
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I recently read To Kill A Mockingbird and thought it was good. I haven't read Of Mice and Men in a while (I need to re-read again) but I enjoyed it much more. A lot more feeling to it I thought.

turtlex
06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I always thought it would be cool to name kids "Gem" and "Scout" ... Until Bruce Willis and Demi Moore named one of their girls "Scout". Bummer!

cozener
06-20-2008, 05:06 AM
I always thought it was interesting how Mockingbird is the only book Harper Lee ever wrote and it is now a classic.

jayson
06-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Good observation Coz. Not a bad percentage for Ms. Lee.

Mark
06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Harper Lee is a woman?!

Brice
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
yes

Mark
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
I so never knew :lol:

jhanic
06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
She also won the Pulitzer Prize for To Kill a Mockingbird.

John

Zalia
06-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I had to study both in highschool. To Kill A Mockingbird in grade 9 and Of Mice and Men in grade 10. Out of the 2, To Kill A Mockingbird was much better to do. But, as far as I'm concerned, when you have to read them for a class they get ripped apart way too much and just aren't enjoyable anymore.

jhanic
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
It IS possible to study something to death. That's the trouble with lots of high school and college courses. They insist on analyzing so much they take the pure enjoyment of the work and destroy it. (And I was trained as an English teacher!)

John

Matticus-Finch
07-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Damn the system.

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Mockingbird... my favorite of the two but I had to read both.

Poisonbat
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I personally liked both books, but as far as Steinbeck goes, Cannery Row is and will always be my favorite. Of Mice and Men was strangely disturbing and down right sad in my opinion. Mockingbird had a better story line. :unsure: