PDA

View Full Version : War Films

razz
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
-

Mattrick
06-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Jarhead was good. The only 'war' movie I know that didn't have any battles in it.

My favourites are:

Saving Private Ryan
Letters From Iwo Jima
Starship Troopers (it counts, right?)
The Patriot

I've seen plenty but only a few stand out to me as great movies. I've got Platoon I bought but haven't watched it yet. And seeing as I haven't seen Bridge On the River Kwai, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Thin Red Line...I'm sure I'm missing out on some good ones.

Brice
06-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Jarhead was good. The only 'war' movie I know that didn't have any battles in it.

My favourites are:

Saving Private Ryan
Letters From Iwo Jima
The Patriot

I've seen plenty but only a few stand out to me as great movies. I've got Platoon I bought but haven't watched it yet. And seeing as I haven't seen Bridge On the River Kwai, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Thin Red Line...I'm sure I'm missing out on some good ones.

Yes, including all four of the ones you named.

razz
06-07-2008, 03:41 AM

My favourites are:

Saving Private Ryan
Letters From Iwo Jima
The Patriot

I've seen sections of Saving private Ryan
as well as Letters From Iwo Jima
And the Patriot was awesome. i laughed when they traded "prisoners" until ithought i'd shit myself.
also, Sands of Iwo Jima was a great film.

and a space marine is still a marine.

fernandito
06-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan are my favorites.

razz
06-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Y'all are really making want to see all of Saving Private Ryan

HanzouNorak
06-08-2008, 02:07 PM
does this have to do with marines?

mines Kelly's Heros, its kinda not a war movie but it takes place from the veiw point of soldiers in a war.

LordFrank
06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I highly recommend The Deer Hunter for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.
It conveys a very sobering look at the effects that war can have on everyone involved.

Apocalypse Now is another classic.
Saving Private Ryan is also very good.

razz
06-08-2008, 03:07 PM
i suppose if it ever comes out, i'd add the halo movie to this list.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Jarhead was fun, but after reading the book my intense distaste for the author really dampened any joy I could get out of the movie.

Seriously, if you think "Swoff" is sort of an asshole in the movie, he looks like a saint compared to how he painted himself in the book. He was the definition of a shitbag Marine, all the way down to blaming everyone else for his problems.

Some of the stuff they chose to leave out of the movie I think was flat for the fact that audiences have a hard time giving a shit about a movie with a despicable main character. Not to mention that ANY Marine willing to point a loaded weapon in a fellow Marines face (regardless of WHY even though his reasons were shit) should be shot himself.

Dispicable ten-percenters.

[/rant]

Ves'Ka Gan
06-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan are my favorites.

I second that emotion! Also I really enjoyed Heartbreak ridge (although it wasn't really a "war" movie) because Eastwood's Gunny made me laugh out loud. There are so many Gunny's like that in the Corps and he captured it perfectly.

Míchéal
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I love Platoon.

razz
06-08-2008, 05:14 PM
i guess Stripes would count. I like that movie
"What kind of training?"
"Army training sir!?

Ves'Ka Gan
06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Hahaha...oh. Gotta love any Bill Murray/Ivan Reitman combo. Esp. with Harold Ramis.

obscurejude
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
How about Gladiator?

Most war movies are classified as period pieces. Saving Private Ryan is still emotionally hard to watch, even after all these years. We Were Soldiers was good, but not as good as the hype in my opinion.

Also, what about October Skies in regards to the Cold War? I thought that movie was amazing and all three books are very good if you like memoirs.