PDA

View Full Version : Problem!

Ricky
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
So here's the problem:

I am currently reading the second DT book. Sounds good right? Wrong! It's a great book and I am really getting to like the DT
series but I only have about 40 pages left in this book and I'm trying to save it.

Because my birthday is in two weeks (and I didn't think I'd be done this book anytime soon), I put the 3rd DT book on my birthday list and now I can't get it! I've been trying to ration my reading but it's not going to well and I keep going back to the book to read some more.

Since I'm probably going to cave in before my birthday, I need a short book/short story(ies) that could be read in about a week. Any suggestions?

Girlystevedave
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Do you want to read something related to the DT..or separate?

sarah
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Everythings Eventual

or

The Golden Compass

or

Any of the Harry Potters

Ricky
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Do you want to read something related to the DT..or separate?

It doesn't matter. I've read the Little Sisters of Eluria and I can't think of any DT related material that won't spoil anything that I haven't read yet. However, I'd prefer it to be something SK because I have easy access to SK books in my room.

Everythings Eventual

or

The Golden Compass

or

Any of the Harry Potters

I've read Evereything's Eventual (great stories in there!), The Golden Compass...meh, and I lost interest in Harry Potter.

Heather19
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
What about The Body from Different Seasons, Cycle of the Warewolf, or Secret Garden Secret Window from Four Past Midnight.

Ricky
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I only one that I have is Four Past Midnight. How long is that particular story?

Heather19
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I think just over 100 pages.

Girlystevedave
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Secret Window is a good choice, if you want a short story :thumbsup:

fernandito
06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
A Clockwork Orange- it's a great read and only a couple hundred pages long. :cool:

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
what do you have in your sk collection? do you want to buy something new or reread something old? there are very few sk short stories or novellas that i don't like. that said, here a just a few of my particular favorites, and the books they are in:

night shift: i am the doorway; strawberry spring; jerusalem's lot; the last rung on the ladder

different seasons: breathing method hands down

skeleton crew: just read the whole damn book. :)

nightmares & dreamscapes: the end of the whole mess; rainy season; you know they got a hell of a band; the ten o'clock people; the house on maple street; head down

everything's eventual: all that you love will be carried away; lunch at the gotham cafe; that feeling, you can only say what it is in french; 1408; lt's theory of pets

sarah
06-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Everythings Eventual

or

The Golden Compass

or

Any of the Harry Potters

I've read Evereything's Eventual (great stories in there!), The Golden Compass...meh, and I lost interest in Harry Potter.

*shrug*

A Clockwork Orange- it's a great read and only a couple hundred pages long. :cool:

um...don't read that. ;)

fernandito
06-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I knew that would get your attention! :lol: :innocent:

sarah
06-03-2008, 09:35 PM
:rofl: I've never read the book but I've seen the movie twice so I'm sticking to my opinion.

:innocent:

OchrisO
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and Smoke and Mirrors, also by Neil Gaiman are great short story collections.

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and Smoke and Mirrors, also by Neil Gaiman are great short story collections.

anything by neil gaiman. that man rocks my world! :rock:

Brice
06-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Everythings Eventual

or

The Golden Compass

or

Any of the Harry Potters

*shrug*

um...don't read that. ;)

:(

:rofl: I've never read the book but I've seen the movie twice so I'm sticking to my opinion.

:innocent:

Although I love both the movie and book I'll be fair here and say that if you hated the movie I'm nearly certain you'd hate the book in this case. The movie is a one of the most faithful adaptations of a book I've seen.

MrsSmeej
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Although I haven't read any, I'm told that the comics related to the Dark Tower are an excellent story. Maybe those? With a whole week you should be able to squeeze in a quick novel. 'Salem's Lot or Bag of Bones are DT related and don't take long.

theBeamisHome
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
I Am Legend by Richard Masterston... i think i keep misspelling his last name..

Ricky
06-04-2008, 12:09 PM
what do you have in your sk collection? do you want to buy something new or reread something old?

night shift: i am the doorway; strawberry spring; jerusalem's lot; the last rung on the ladder

different seasons: breathing method hands down

skeleton crew: just read the whole damn book. :)

nightmares & dreamscapes: the end of the whole mess; rainy season; you know they got a hell of a band; the ten o'clock people; the house on maple street; head down

everything's eventual: all that you love will be carried away; lunch at the gotham cafe; that feeling, you can only say what it is in french; 1408; lt's theory of pets

Well, I have quite a few in my SK collection but I don't want to read something like IT (a whole 'nother novel) or buy something new--I just don't have time! :lol: Besides, if that were the case, I'd just go and get DT 3. :)

I've read both Everything's Eventual and Nightmares and Dreamscapes...both are excellent! I have Night Shift, so I think I may have just enough time to read that one. Short and sweet is the key here and Night Shift may be a good choice.

razz
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
read i am legend. it will last you a day or two, then just fill in short stories from skeleton crew and Everything's eventual

Ricky
06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't have I Am Legend. Besides, I've seen the movie so it will ruin my ability of forming my own mental images.

razz
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I am Legend is TREMENDOUSLY different from the movie.

Heather19
06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Night Shift is a great collection. I think you'll enjoy that one. It's actually the only collection that I've read every single story in it.
You can read as many stories as you have time for, and it won't be a problem if you're halfway thru the book when you get The Wastelands, cause you can just put it down at the end of any story, and pick it back up again when you have time.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
start with strawberry spring, start with strawberry spring.

no, no. start with the last rung on the ladder, start with the last rung on the ladder.

no, no. start with. . .

everybody shut up.

okay, now. just start where ever you want and have fun. there are some truly great stories in night shift. really.

Ka-tet
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordan is a very good book, one of kings best in my opinion. I finished it in a day, so it shouldnt take you that long ^.^

Ricky
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok guys, I couldn't help it...I had to finish The Drawing of the Three. It's like a drug! Where can I post my thoughts in a place where I won't have to risk being spoiled?

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
good question. if you stay in that section and stay out of the sections on the other books you'll probably be okay i would think. or you could just babble to us here. we'll listen. :)

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks turtlesong. I posted a new thread right above this one. Feel free to help me straighten my thoughts out! :)

ZoNeSeeK
06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Have you read Little Sisters of Eluria?

Ricky
06-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Yup, sure have. :)

Brice
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I Am Legend by Richard Masterston... i think i keep misspelling his last name..

I think you're mixing up the last names of Graham Masterton and Richard Matheson, maybe? :unsure:

Ricky
06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Or maybe Hubert Marsten. :lol:

I couldn't resist. :)

The Lady of Shadows
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Or maybe Hubert Marsten. :lol:

I couldn't resist. :)

hell of a writer that hubie. of course, he needed eva to actually write the letters since hubie apparently couldn't speak french worth a damn. :)

Jean
06-06-2008, 01:22 AM
it is very likely that this thread is going to be merged with "Make Me Read Books" shortly

theBeamisHome
06-06-2008, 05:00 AM
Believe me the only thing that reading I Am Legen will ruin is your perception of how good of a movie it was. (As in the book is WHEELS better than the movie, say thankya)

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm tryin sooo hard to get my wife to read these books...she reads an average of 1 and half to 2 books a week but it's mostly true crime stuff...I had her read a few short stories from him and she liked them and I got her to read all the odd thomas books by koontz and the 2 books by scott smith, the ruins and the simple plan, but for some reason I can't get her to pick up gunslinger....any suggestions???

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm tryin sooo hard to get my wife to read these books...she reads an average of 1 and half to 2 books a week but it's mostly true crime stuff...I had her read a few short stories from him and she liked them and I got her to read all the odd thomas books by koontz and the 2 books by scott smith, the ruins and the simple plan, but for some reason I can't get her to pick up gunslinger....any suggestions???

Give up?

LadyHitchhiker
06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Tell her there's true crime in them?

I like true crime too...

tell her there's a mystery to it?

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I said "give up" because it's been my experience that "trying" to get someone to read something doesn't work....

I suppose you could resort to reverse psychology, but I'm skeptical as to how well that'd work....

Tvmorbid
06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Stick a true crime book cover over the top of The Gunslinger and give it to her. By the time she realises she'll be hooked and it'll be too late!! Mwa ha ha ha! :D

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Stick a true crime book cover over the top of The Gunslinger and give it to her. By the time she realises she'll be hooked and it'll be too late!! Mwa ha ha ha! :D

this is funny stuff...

mia/susannah
06-28-2008, 05:36 PM
You can't make someone read anything. They have to want to read it. She may just read it on her own.

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
yeah I hear ya on that one Mia...I was just hopin maybe someone could send me a recipe for some kind of "read this book" potion....

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 06:37 PM
aha!!! I thank you RC9...I think that just might work....I'll proly hafta suffer thru the Kite Runner...altho I heard it's not bad.

mia/susannah
06-28-2008, 06:40 PM
There you go. Thats not a bad idea

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I hope so Mia...I would love to have another tower junkie in the house...I'm workinon the 11 year old as well.

mia/susannah
06-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Good luck. I hope the 11 year old will get into them.

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
You can't make someone read anything. They have to want to read it. She may just read it on her own.

That's how it was with me--I doubt I would have read The Dark Tower series if someone tried to get me to do it....

bangoskank1
06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
shes readin girl who loved T. G.now...after that her journey will begin.

Sam
06-28-2008, 08:14 PM
If she likes true crime stories give her The Colorado Kid to read. My wife is a mystery lover and has read very little of King's work. She really enjoyed TCK though. It's a short read but a fine one.

After that give her Eyes of the Dragon.

nordh
06-29-2008, 11:28 PM
TCK might not be a good choice though to get her interested in Kings work due to the very unusual "ending". It's like waving a carrot in front of the horse's eyes and then not let it eat the carrot.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the courage of writing a book like that, but it's still evil towards the innocent reader.

bangoskank1
07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys (and gils)...we now have a new DT reader in the house...so far so good

NeedfulKings
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
aha!!! I thank you RC9...I think that just might work....I'll proly hafta suffer thru the Kite Runner...altho I heard it's not bad.

I'm about 3/4 through this. I'm amazed with the story and am hooked!!! Fair trade, in my opinion. :)

Matt
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I got Dora to read them with the trade off.

I ended up with Nora Roberts, it wasn't too bad but I really need a little more killing and monsters in my books. :lol:

Sam
07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
TCK might not be a good choice though to get her interested in Kings work due to the very unusual "ending". It's like waving a carrot in front of the horse's eyes and then not let it eat the carrot.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the courage of writing a book like that, but it's still evil towards the innocent reader.

My recommendation of TCK comes from the fact that she enjoys mystery novels. TCK is definitely that. It may not have the ending that a lot of people would want, but I think it would certainly appeal to someone who enjoys a good mystery. My wife doesn't read King regularly like I do, but she certianly found the book compelling and read it cover to cover during one chemo treatment.

CyberGhostface
08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
There's this girl who often babysits my little brother and came on vacation with us. She wanted to know if my family had anything recommended for her to read, so I lent her The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and The Eyes of the Dragon, since they were both some of King's tamer fare. She finished TGWLTG and is almost done with EOTD, and she's loving both of them.

jhanic
08-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Another Constant Reader! Wonderful!

How old is she? (Is she ready for some of the "darker" works?)

John

CyberGhostface
08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
She's one year younger than me, so she's 18. She doesn't like horror much, though. I'm not going to rush her into something like It anytime soon, but I might recommend The Shining.

jhanic
08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
You might also try her on The Talisman. Although there are some scary parts in there, it's definitely a possibility.

John

CRinVA
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
How about The Green Mile! Bag of Bones!

Brainslinger
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't give her Bag of Bones. Ok it's not that scary but that scene (the flash-back, dream I mean) might be a bit extreme for a young lady. Or anyone for that matter.

jhanic
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but you have to remember that she is legally an adult here in the states. I'd worry more about

Mattie's death

John

Patrick
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
How about Different Seasons?
It's got the stories that led to the movies Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption. She can always skip the other two stories if she wishes.