PDA

View Full Version : Oldboy

Letti
05-25-2008, 12:44 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/tartan_films/oldboy/oldboy_bigfinal.jpg

Love it?
Hate it?
Do you see any message in it?

*edit*
I think it's the most shocking movie of my life that's why I am interested in your thoughts. (however it's not easy to shock me)

Heather19
05-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Interesting pick for a movie Letti.
It's been quite awhile since I saw it, and honestly can't really remember too much about it so I can't really comment. I'll have to watch it again soon.

Letti
05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
It's a quite interesting movie, that's why I am interested in your opinions. It's not my favourite but it made me think a lot.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I haven't seen it Letti, I'll put it on my list if you recommend it.

mia/susannah
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I have not seen this movie either. Sorry about that Letti

Letti
05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Ehhh, it's a really hard movie. It took me 2 days to decide if I liked ir or not. Now I know I did a lot.
So I recommend it if you don't beat me if you can't stand it.

*edit*
No problem, I know it's not a popular movie.
it might be the most shocking film I have ever seen.

Brice
05-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Now I must see it.

Letti
05-26-2008, 05:22 AM
I can only hope you will not attack me in groups. :)

Brice
05-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Oh, I'll attack you.

...but in a good way. ;) :huglove:

Heather19
05-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Letti have you seen Ichi the Killer? And if so was this film similar in the sense of the type of violence that was in it. I had an extrememly hard time watching that film, and I remember seeing another one around the same time that had a lot of graphic violent scenes in it, and I'm wondering if this is that film.

Letti
05-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I haven't seen that movie, I am sorry. And yeah, there is much violence in this film but it's not about violence. You should watch it if you like Tarantino.

That's the basic of the movie:
A man named Dae-su (Min-sik Choi) is kidnapped off the street and imprisoned in a cheap hotel room. He's told nothing about why he's been taken or when he will be released, and receives no information about the outside world except what comes in on his television set. After 15 years have passed, he's set free, leaving him bitter about his experience, newly-strong from years of working out in isolation and obsessed with the idea of revenge against his captors.

YouTube - Old Boy Trailer

And I can just repeat myself... there are two types of people, who hate this movie from the bottom of their hearts and who love it.

Woofer
05-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Letti have you seen Ichi the Killer? And if so was this film similar in the sense of the type of violence that was in it. I had an extrememly hard time watching that film, and I remember seeing another one around the same time that had a lot of graphic violent scenes in it, and I'm wondering if this is that film.

I <3 (and own) Ichi the Killer - especially Kakihara. I have an emoticon of him as well as a very short gif of Kakihara "smoking". Tadanobu Asano does an awesome job. Actually everyone does, but he's really hot. :drool:

I haven't seen that movie, I am sorry. And yeah, there is much violence in this film but it's not about violence. You should watch it if you like Tarantino.

That's the basic of the movie:
A man named Dae-su (Min-sik Choi) is kidnapped off the street and imprisoned in a cheap hotel room. He's told nothing about why he's been taken or when he will be released, and receives no information about the outside world except what comes in on his television set. After 15 years have passed, he's set free, leaving him bitter about his experience, newly-strong from years of working out in isolation and obsessed with the idea of revenge against his captors.

<snip for space>

And I can just repeat myself... there are two types of people, who hate this movie from the bottom of their hearts and who love it.

I have had this one recommended to me before, but Mr. Woofer does NOT like stuff like this (graphic violence) at all. So now that's two recs for Oldboy. Hrm, I'll have to put it on my Netflix queue sometime and then buy him something else to watch. Heh.

Ka-tet
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Its kinda mine and adams(best friend) special movie lol.

We watched parts of it that many times thinking it wasnt that good. Then one night we watched it all the way through and we loved it.

At the end we were both like :scared:

10/10 for old boy, one of the most interesting films ive ever seen.

And as for ichi the killer? I hated every second of it, there was way to much violence in that film. If it had been done with a little less gore i probobly would have enjoyed it.

Letti
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
And has it got a message? Did you notice anything in it? What do you think?

Woofer
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Its kinda mine and adams(best friend) special movie lol.

We watched parts of it that many times thinking it wasnt that good. Then one night we watched it all the way through and we loved it.

At the end we were both like :scared:

10/10 for old boy, one of the most interesting films ive ever seen.

And as for ichi the killer? I hated every second of it, there was way to much violence in that film. If it had been done with a little less gore i probobly would have enjoyed it.

But the gore in Ichi the Killer was so over-the-top it was comic. There were, however, some pretty intense scenes - comic gore or no.

Alas, I remain the only person I know who can stomach Ichi the Killer.

Oldboy or Ichi the Killer? Was that to Ka-tet or moi? As I said, I've not seen Oldboy yet, but Ichi the Killer is an intense study in revenge, sadism, masochism, hypnotism, false memories, and fate/destiny.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/88/218288.jpg

AIMB
05-31-2008, 12:20 AM
I really want to see it!

You can watch it here

http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/984

You have to download divx though(worth it) and the ninjavideo plug in

CyberGhostface
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, its a great film.

The director's also done some other fantastic films such as Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Joint Security Area. All highly recommended.

special k
06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
loved oldboy even though i kinda figured out the last twist early on.

Still Servant
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I thought Oldboy was a very interesting film. Not many people who I've talked to have seen it, so it's cool to talk to people who have.

I thought the ending is one of the most shocking endings in film history.

Oldboy really made me think about a lot of things. It's not for everybody, but I highly recommend it to everybody I talk movies with.

Unfortunately, Oldboy got a lot of bad press when that Virginia Tech student went on a rampage around campus. He was a fan of the movie and numerous pictures were found with him holding a hammer just like in Oldboy.

I had that pic from the film as my avatar for a while.

stone, rose, unfound door
08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I <3 (and own) Ichi the Killer - especially Kakihara. I have an emoticon of him as well as a very short gif of Kakihara "smoking". Tadanobu Asano does an awesome job. Actually everyone does, but he's really hot. :drool:

I never quite understood how people could like him so much. I don't find him hot at all, especially after I've seen gohatto (taboo in english, I think) which is a good movie if you were wondering. Tadanobu Asano is definitely not the kind of guy I would have casted for the part of a bishônen (good-looking guy) if I'd been the one to choose.

Letti, we've discussed it already and although I liked the film very much (Choi Min-sik is one of Korea's best actors ever), I still couldn't find a message in it.
For those who are wondering: this film is one of the best South Korea ever produced and is very ambiguous. It deals with a lot of problems most societies have and what is really amazing is that the main character is most definitely not someone anyone should be able to sympathize with. Anyway, it's kind of violent but never without purpose.
I reallyrecommend it to all those who like asian action and social movies as well as to those who like their movies violent :)

stone, rose, unfound door
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, its a great film.

The director's also done some other fantastic films such as Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Joint Security Area. All highly recommended.

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is the first part of the 'Vengeance' trilogy, Oldboy's the second and it ends with 'Lady Vengeance' that was in theaters in Korea over a year ago. If you've seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, give Lady Vengeance a try.

Ka-tet
08-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Uhh...?

Dont ever sleep with your daughter?

Letti
08-29-2008, 05:27 AM
For my part I think the message is that every guilt has a price. The bigger the guilt is the bigger the price is. I know it's a way too simple message but it's a quite important one.

Ka-tet
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I dont really look at things like that from movies, but that is a very important and meaningful message.

Melike
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/tartan_films/oldboy/oldboy_bigfinal.jpg

Love it?
Hate it?
Do you see any message in it?

*edit*
I think it's the most shocking movie of my life that's why I am interested in your thoughts. (however it's not easy to shock me)
I love it.
I don't see any message in it. It is a wall made of messages instead of bricks.

For my part I think the message is that every guilt has a price. The bigger the guilt is the bigger the price is. I know it's a way too simple message but it's a quite important one.
And sometimes smaller guilts has the biggest prices, because they can be more harmful then the things we call ''a small guilt.''

Ruthful
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm going to pick this up from my branch of the BPL in a few days!

:rock:

I haven't watched it yet, but based upon Sympathy for Lady Vengeance-which I LOVE-I'm probably going to enjoy watching this one.

I'm so disappointed that Tartan Asian Extreme went under.

:(

Ruthful
03-22-2009, 03:51 PM

I hated that movie.

I went to see it at the Anthology Film Archives-my favorite independent movie theater in Manhattan-with my Korean friend years ago during the Asian Film Festival, and walked out halfway through.

It's so ridiculous it almost feels like you're watching a cartoon.

Heather19
03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Well let me know what you think of this one when you see it. If it's good maybe I'll think about giving it another viewing.

Heather19
03-22-2009, 04:14 PM

I just think he pushes it to too much of an extreme at times, just to prove he can get away with it or something. I've seen a few of his films, and some I thought were ok, but that one just really bothered me. As well Imprint, his contribution to the Masters of Horror series. They wouldn't even air it on tv because it was too graphic.

Ruthful
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM

I just think he pushes it to too much of an extreme at times, just to prove he can get away with it or something. I've seen a few of his films, and some I thought were ok, but that one just really bothered me. As well Imprint, his contribution to the Masters of Horror series. They wouldn't even air it on tv because it was too graphic.

It just seemed more comic than thrilling, IMO.

Like the scene where he's popping the yakuza's eyeball in the palm of his hand. I mean, I don't even think G. Gordon Liddy would do that.

My friend is more into that wushu (sp?) martial arts and Japanese gangster-type film anyway. I think you can enjoy them if they're serious dramas or comedies, but I don't really enjoy the hard core J-horror genre. There are some elements that you don't get in regular horror films, e.g. the Shintoist connection to ghosts/nature, but for the most part it's kind of repetitive.

Letti
03-22-2009, 10:27 PM

I haven't watched it yet, but based upon Sympathy for Lady Vengeance-which I LOVE-I'm probably going to enjoy watching this one.

I liked Sympath for Lady Vengeane a lot but I love Oldboy much much more. So I think you will like it. I am interested in your opinion.

idk, my bff jill?
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Oldboy is pretty cool. :thumbsup:
I remember enjoying it, but it's been a while since I saw it, so I'd have to re-watch it to discuss the underlying theme in it.

Melike
03-22-2009, 11:33 PM

I liked Sympath for Lady Vengeane a lot but I love Oldboy much much more. So I think you will like it. I am interested in your opinion.

I love the vengeance trilogy. But it is obvious that the story of Oldboy is the most complicated of all of them.

Heather19
03-23-2009, 04:01 AM
What are the other films in the series? Maybe I should go watch those first.

Melike
03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
What are the other films in the series? Maybe I should go watch those first.

I think you don't have watch them in an order. They are telling very different and unrelated stories. They have one common characteristics; revenge. Thats why it is a trilogy by Chan Wook Park.

The best of them is Oldboy. I think you should watch it first.
Others are Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

Woofer
10-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Okay, so I just watched Oldboy and the first thing I have to say is
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME ABOUT THE TEETH SCENES here or in RL? It's like that time I watched Marathon Man or Takashi Miike's MoH Imprint.

*takes a tranquilizer and attempts calming thoughts to ward nightmares*

Loved it, though.

*shudders again*

Letti
10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME ABOUT THE TEETH SCENES here or in RL? It's like that time I watched Marathon Man or Takashi Miike's MoH Imprint.

Loved it, though.

*shudders again*

They didn't show much? I mean just the first sec.. I know it was disturbing but you couldn't see much.

Melike
10-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Loved it, though.

*shudders again*

I can only see this sentence.:couple:I'm glad you like it.:huglove::rose:

Woofer
10-27-2009, 03:55 AM
They don't show much, but you KNOW it's going on. And he keeps dropping the teeth on the keyboard. *shudder*

Now to watch Sympathy and Lady. Anything I should be warned about? :orely:

Letti
10-27-2009, 04:52 AM
They don't show much, but you KNOW it's going on. And he keeps dropping the teeth on the keyboard. *shudder*

Now to watch Sympathy and Lady. Anything I should be warned about? :orely:

It's the best if you don't open your eyes during the movie. ;)
No, actually they are much less brutal than Oldboy (if I remember well).

Woofer
10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
Hehehe. I'm good with everything but teeth since I'm a dentalphobe. I have to take a tranquilizer just to have a consultation visit, and I have a schedule to take valium on if I have a visit to have stuff done (night before, morning of, 1 hour before). I've even been excused from jury duty for my dentist/teeth fear. *shudder* My last extraction was done under general anesthesia in a hospital.

So nothing teeth-related, yes?

Sickrose
10-27-2009, 05:44 AM
I have seen Oldboy and thought it was really good but the ending came as a HUGE shock I so didnt see it coming.

I have seen Lady Vengeance which was good but quite difficult to watch at times but i thought Sympathy for Mr Vengeance was the weakest of the lot to be honest.

Letti
10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
So nothing teeth-related, yes?

If I remember well nope.

Woofer
10-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Thankee big-big. I checked with Red-Headed Devil and she thinks not, too. She says her fave of the bunch is Lady. I, of course, have yet to see the other two.

Letti
10-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Thankee big-big. I checked with Red-Headed Devil and she thinks not, too. She says her fave of the bunch is Lady. I, of course, have yet to see the other two.

Let us know which one your favourite is. :)

Jon
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
(however it's not easy to shock me)

*Touches Letti with a taser*

Seems easy to me!

Letti
10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
(however it's not easy to shock me)

*Touches Letti with a taser*

Seems easy to me!

You would be surprised. ;)

Grindslinger
11-03-2009, 04:42 AM
I saw a bit of the movie (the scene when they're in the apartmant of the guy who kept him imprisoned), and later watched it on DVD. the movie was kick-ass until he revealed that the Mi-Do was Dae-su's daughter, and when he cut of his tongue. From there the movie was just sick. I can take a lot of sickness in movies, but scenes and revelations like those in Oldboy - too much for my appetite.

But the shocking effect is done very good.