PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Tarantino Movie Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Odetta
05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
OK... I am currently watching Reservoir Dogs for, like the 237th time, and it hits me...

Is Mr. White also Wolf from Pulp Fiction? I know Harvey plays both characters but are they one in the same?

OchrisO
05-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't think he is. I don't think that Tarantino's movies are intertwined in the way that say, Kevin Smith's movies are. I think that he just likes to use many of the same actors, like a lot of directors do.

Odetta
05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
well, he mentions to Mr. White... asks how Marcelles is... also, Mr. Blond is a Vega (Vincent Vega).

Also, officer Scagneti (sp) is mentioned as well... wasn't he in another film?

OchrisO
05-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Ah, I don't know. Maybe he is the same character, then.

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 06:04 PM
in

cozener
05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think its the same guy. The characters are acted differently. Wolf, I think, is meant to be smoother, more cultured, perhaps more educated. He was definately higher up on the food chain than Mr. White. White, while being a professional thief, was still a foot soldier. White isn't dumb by any means but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that could handle Wolf's role as a "cleaner". If you watch both movies one after the other you'll see what I mean.

Besides...Mr. Wolf has a moustache. :)

Wuducynn
05-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm with Cozener on this. Mr. White is not as cultured, smooth and bright as Wolf. Not the same.

Woofer
05-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm with Cozener on this. Mr. White is not as cultured, smooth and bright as Wolf. Not the same.

Maybe he's the Wolf's country cousin.

Jimmy
05-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Mr. White - Lawrence Dimmick

The Wolf - Winston Wolf

Two completely different guys with different personalities, styles, jobs, and names.

The Wolf had been written specifically for Keitel, because without him, Tarentino would not have been able to make Reservoir Dogs.

Odetta
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Jimmy! I never knew their full names.

fernandito
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
"Let's get a taco."

Odetta
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
:lol:

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie..."

jayson
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
"You shoot me in a dream you'd better wake up and apologize." - Mr. White

fernandito
05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie..."
"--or are you gonna bite?
What was that? I'm sorry, I didn't catch it."

"You shoot me in a dream you'd better wake up and apologize." - Mr. White

"Hey Joe, want me to shoot this guy?"

Odetta
05-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll post the one I just posted in fave quotes...

"Fuck you, White! I'm acting like a professional!"

Matt
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Also played a cleaner in "Point of no Return" I think. That guy looked a lot like the one in Pulp Fiction.

cozener
05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh yeah he was actually called The Cleaner in that movie too.

Check this out...

http://forums.zgeek.com/showthread.php?threadid=18327

Matt
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow! :lol:

Putting his face on the bottle, that's too much!

fernandito
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
"For all I know, you're the fucking rat!"

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Ahh. One of my ALL TIME favorite movies. I think I may be almost as obsessive over Tarantino as I am of King.

He tends to use a lot of the same names in his films. I've noticed at least two "Bonnies" and "'Bama/Alabamas" and so on, but rarely anything to make me think that those names were meant to insinuate the characters were the same.

Woofer
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Maybe he's the Wolf's country cousin.

Tex Avery - city wolf and country wolf? Anybody?

fernandito
06-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Tarantino Teases Inglorious Bastards
World War II remake to take its lead from Kill Bill.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, June 20, 2008 - After announcing at this year's Cannes that his next film would definitely be his World War II actioner Inglorious Bastards, the Net has been rife with speculation about Quentin Tarantino's upcoming effort.

A particularly juicy nugget emerged from aintitcool today, with the site reporting that QT himself told Enzo Castellari – director of the original Inglorious Bastards – in an interview for the film's DVD release that his update would be split over two films, similar to Kill Bill.

Apparently, during research for the script – which revolves around a team of hardened criminals who break free from a transport during WWII and have to fight both the Nazi's and the Allies enroute to freedom in neutral Switzerland –Tarantino uncovered so much material he felt it couldn't be shoe-horned into one feature.

We still haven't heard any casting confirmation, though QT faves such as Tim Roth, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, as well as Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, have all been discussed for roles.

bangoskank1
06-22-2008, 09:22 AM
yeah babbbyyyy!!!! QT is where its at....thanks for the info.

Jimmy
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Waiting patiently for this one. I just wish American audiences would have the patience to sit through a 4-6 hour movie, so we could get it all in one chunk.

bangoskank1
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Waiting patiently for this one. I just wish American audiences would have the patience to sit through a 4-6 hour movie, so we could get it all in one chunk.

what if I gotta pee?

fernandito
06-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm down for 4 hours...but 6, I'm not so sure.

:unsure:

jayson
06-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Exactly. I could easily sit through 6 hours of Tarantino. Once I got the DVD's I've only watched Kill Bill in its entirety. That said, I will gladly go see both halves of Inglorious Bastards as soon as they each come out. New Tarantino is among the few things that get me to go see movies anymore.

Jimmy
06-22-2008, 12:42 PM
what if I gotta pee?

Go to the restroom. Wow, shouldn't that be something you should already know? :P

jayson
06-22-2008, 04:14 PM
what if I gotta pee?

Wear an adult diaper to the movies?

fernandito
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
UK, July 9, 2008 - Following the Cannes announcement that Inglorious Bastards would be his next film, news on Quentin Tarantino's WWII ensemble piece has been coming thick and fast, with the second juicy nugget in as many days hitting the Web this morning.

Yesterday we leant that QT has apparently completed work on the script and is shopping it around the major studios. Now the same source, Deadline Hollywood Daily, reports that Tarantino is in talks with none other than Brad Pitt over a starring role in the film.

The rumour mill has been cranking out casting gossip for literally years, with the disparate likes of Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy all discussed for roles. But with the film now nearing production, casting buzz seems more likely to be grounded in reality. Whatever the case, we'll have more news on this one as and when it breaks.

jayson
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Interesting article Feev. I'll say this, Pitt can actually act. Those other names on the list, not so much, though Tarantino got a good performance out of Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction.

fernandito
07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm down with Brad Pitt and S. Stallone.

Eddie Murphy...ehh, kinda 50-50 on that.

Adamn Sandler? No thanks. :nope:

jayson
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm down with Brad Pitt and S. Stallone.

Eddie Murphy...ehh, kinda 50-50 on that.

Adamn Sandler? No thanks. :nope:

Sandler, no way. I'm with you there. He can't act and I don't think he's all that funny either.

Murphy is funny, as a comedian, in the 80's.

Stallone - I'm not sure I'd understand a word he says.

fernandito
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Sandler, no way. I'm with you there. He can't act and I don't think he's all that funny either.

Have you noticed that everyone in his movies is funny but him?

Have you seen that MAD Tv skit where they're parodying the MTV movie awards, and one of the actors that shows up (Forgot who it was supposed to be; was played by Will Sasso in the skit) and starts talking crap to the lady in charge of seating everyone and she says "Yeah, you know what? Why don't you go sit over in the Used To Be Funny Section with your pals Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase" :rofl:

jayson
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Actually, I tend to avoid seeing most of Sandler's movies because he's so stupid and annoying. I did like Happy Gilmore, but that's about it.

Have you seen that MAD Tv skit where they're parodying the MTV movie awards, and one of the actors that shows up (Forgot who it was supposed to be; was played by Will Sasso in the skit) and starts talking crap to the lady in charge of seating everyone and she says "Yeah, you know what? Why don't you go sit over in the Used To Be Funny Section with your pals Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase" :rofl:

I haven't seen that, but it's very funny :)

Heather19
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info Feev. I'm not too sure about Brad Pitt, but he's sure alot better than all the other names listed. Most of those actors, I could just not picture Tarantino even thinking of casting.

sarah
07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
For some reason I thought we already had a thread for him. :unsure: Please merge if so :)

Ok so he is producing a movie called Hell Ride and I just saw the trailer. :cool:

NSFW!!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/hellrideredband.php

Brice
07-10-2008, 08:22 AM
:o This looks great!

fernandito
07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
For some reason I thought we already had a thread for him. :unsure: Please merge if so :)
[/URL]

I started a thread for his upcoming flick Inglorious Bastards. Should we combine our powers and summon Captain Planet, or should we keep these theads seperate?

jayson
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Looks very cool. :thumbsup:

sarah
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
[/url]

I started a thread for his upcoming flick Inglorious Bastards. Should we combine our powers and summon Captain Planet, or should we keep these theads seperate?

either way is fine with me. :D

Still Servant
07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been looking forward to this movie for what seems like years.

I can't wait until it comes out.

War movie + Tarantino = a cinematic boner ( I coined this phrase after watching a guy on Top Chef say "Culinary Boner", use it if you would like but pay me homage)

John Blaze
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
haha, i loved captain planet as a kid. I hate QT tho.

fernandito
07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
either way is fine with me. :D

Howz about, I leave my thread open until the film becomes 'old news', and then I'll merge it with this one? :couple:

haha, i loved captain planet as a kid

Of course! How can you not love Captain Planet and his adorable little mullet? :D

Ves'Ka Gan
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Tarantino Teases Inglorious Bastards
World War II remake to take its lead from Kill Bill.

UK, June 20, 2008 - After announcing at this year's Cannes that his next film would definitely be his World War II actioner Inglorious Bastards, the Net has been rife with speculation about Quentin Tarantino's upcoming effort.

A particularly juicy nugget emerged from aintitcool today, with the site reporting that QT himself told Enzo Castellari – director of the original Inglorious Bastards – in an interview for the film's DVD release that his update would be split over two films, similar to Kill Bill.

Apparently, during research for the script – which revolves around a team of hardened criminals who break free from a transport during WWII and have to fight both the Nazi's and the Allies enroute to freedom in neutral Switzerland –Tarantino uncovered so much material he felt it couldn't be shoe-horned into one feature.

We still haven't heard any casting confirmation, though QT faves such as Tim Roth, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, as well as Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, have all been discussed for roles.
Love Tim Roth, especially on QT directed ventures.

I just hope his character dies. I know that sounds weird, but that is Roth's super power, he dies better than any actor out there. I am always slightly disappointed when a script lets him live.

jayson
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Love Tim Roth, especially on QT directed ventures.

I just hope his character dies. I know that sounds weird, but that is Roth's super power, he dies better than any actor out there. I am always slightly disappointed when a script lets him live.

Same here. QT gets great performances out of Roth. As many times as I've watched Reservoir Dogs, his performance never grows old for me.

Ves'Ka Gan
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I think it takes an extremely talented actor to die violently and painfully for a two hours straight and never have the audience go 'Jesus, will that guy just shut the fuck up & die already?".

Mr. Orange is by far my favorite character in that movie. I sometimes give myself the "You're super cool, you're fucking beretta" speech when I need a pep talk.

jayson
07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Mr. Orange is by far my favorite character in that movie. I sometimes give myself the "You're super cool, you're fucking beretta" speech when I need a pep talk.

same here on mr. orange. anyone that can not die for that long has to be a super bad mother.

ZoNeSeeK
07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Pitt is leagues ahead of any of those others .. Bruce Willis is in some awesome movies but tends to have that one squinty eyed look. And I fucking cant stand Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy, its like they went "well noones really pegged the C grade category, and theres some money in it from stupid people, so lets stick with that."

fernandito
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
DiCaprio a Bastard?
In talks for Tarantino war film.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

Quentin Tarantino is targeting Hollywood's A-list for his forthcoming war opus Inglorious Bastards, holding talks with two of the industry's biggest stars for key roles in the film.

Adding credence to the rumours that Brad Pitt will be involved, Tarantino apparently met with the Se7en star in France on Tuesday to discuss the role of Aldo Raine -- a.k.a. Aldo the Apache -- the world-weary leader of the men on a mission.

And if Variety is to be believed, the writer-director is meeting with Leonardo DiCaprio on Thursday to discuss the key role of the Nazi villain of the piece -- Hans Lada.

Indeed, it looks like it's a busy week for Tarantino, with the director teaming up with producer Harvey Weinstein to pitch the script to five studios on Friday as they search for a co-financier.

So after years on the back-burner, it sounds like Inglorious Bastards is finally coming together with shooting expected to commence in France and Germany at the tail-end of the year.

fernandito
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
July 30, 2008 - QT's long-awaited WWII film, Inglorious Bastards, may have found a distributor in Universal Pictures.

In today's Variety, we learn that the studio is in talks with the Weinstein Co. to assist in bringing the anticipated picture to the big screen. The details of the deal are still reportedly being hashed out, but industry sources tell the mag that it's practically a sure thing.

Tarantino and producer Harvey Weinstein reportedly met with five major studios last week about co-financing the movie, and the finalists were Paramount and Uni. Paramount was ultimately passed over due to issues the studio had with profit distribution from the movie.

Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio have both been linked to roles in the flick. Pitt would play the movie's main hero, Aldo "the Apache" Raine, the world-weary leader of a group of men on a mission. DiCaprio would play Nazi villain, Hans Lada.

Inglorious Bastards is expected to start filming this fall in France and Germany.

UPDATED: Entertainment Weekly's Hollywood Elsewhere blog claims that rumors of DiCaprio being up for the villain role are false.

fernandito
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
July 30, 2008 - QT's long-awaited WWII film, Inglorious Bastards, may have found a distributor in Universal Pictures.

In today's Variety, we learn that the studio is in talks with the Weinstein Co. to assist in bringing the anticipated picture to the big screen. The details of the deal are still reportedly being hashed out, but industry sources tell the mag that it's practically a sure thing.

Tarantino and producer Harvey Weinstein reportedly met with five major studios last week about co-financing the movie, and the finalists were Paramount and Uni. Paramount was ultimately passed over due to issues the studio had with profit distribution from the movie.

Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio have both been linked to roles in the flick. Pitt would play the movie's main hero, Aldo "the Apache" Raine, the world-weary leader of a group of men on a mission. DiCaprio would play Nazi villain, Hans Lada.

Inglorious Bastards is expected to start filming this fall in France and Germany.

UPDATED: Entertainment Weekly's Hollywood Elsewhere blog claims that rumors of DiCaprio being up for the villain role are false.

fernandito
08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Inglorious Bastard Found
Tarantino casts a fellow director.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, August 6, 2008 - Quentin Tarantino may have found his first Inglorious Bastard in the shape of horror director Eli Roth.

According to Variety, the Hostel helmer is in talks to play Nazi-hunter Sgt. Donnie Donowitz -- a role that should suit the Red Sox-loving Roth well as the character's weapon of choice is a baseball bat.

As previously reported, Brad Pitt is the current favourite to play leader of the men on a WWII mission Aldo Raine, although Tarantino has reportedly decided to cast a German actor as SS Col. Hans Landa, a role originally ear-marked for Leonardo DiCaprio.

Inglorious Bastards is set to shoot later this year, with The Weinstein Co. and Universal Pictures overseeing.

Mattrick
08-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Adam Sandler is a fine actor. His dramatic acting is top notch.

Tarantino...he needs to branch out a little, try something new. I was hoping on him just doing a WWII movie then I found out (surprise, surprise) it involves criminals and I groaned. Let's hope he can make a good movie and not lose himself in the dialogue.

jayson
08-07-2008, 05:48 AM

Yeah, he's a real DeNiro. :lol:

fernandito
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
That Bastard Brad Pitt
Official casting for Tarantino's WWII movie.
by Jim Vejvoda

August 7, 2008 - Brad Pitt has been officially cast in writer-director Quentin Tarantino's forthcoming World War II film Inglorious Bastards. He will play the lead role of hillbilly soldier Aldo Raine, who leads a group of Jewish-American G.I.'s on a mission against the Nazis.

"You'll see something different with the two of them," producer Lawrence Bender told The Hollywood Reporter. "They're going to push each other and really help make something special."

Also joining the cast is The Office's B.J. Novak as PFC Utivich, described by THR "as a soldier of slight build who comes from New York."

Variety says filming begins on the Weinstein-Universal production Oct. 13 in Germany

Mattrick
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Yeah, unless DeNiro is playing a crazy guy or a mobster his skills are virtually nilch. At least use a good example like Kevin Spacey, a guy with some range.

Have not seen Reign Over Me or Punch Drunk Love? Love to see DeNiro even try a role like that lol

jayson
08-08-2008, 03:19 AM
You're actually saying Sandler is a better actor than DeNiro. Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Also, I think lumping many of DeNiro's roles together as "a crazy guy" does a disservice to his range. First and foremost, not all "crazy" is the same and cannot be played that way convincingly. Are you really saying that Rupert Pupkin (The King of Comedy) and Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver) are essentially the same role? That'd be a serious error. I can't imagine Sandler playing either of these roles. Ditto Michael Vronsky (The Deer Hunter)

Also, are you lumping his portrayal of Jake Lamotta (Raging Bull) in with the "crazy guys"? Another error. There is SO much more to Lamotta than just being some standard nutcase.

It's a major oversimplification to write off all of his roles as generic crazy guys without considering the nuances he brings to the role to portray the mental illnesses as realistic.

We all have our opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours, but I know which of the two actors has provided for me the more memorable performances.

fernandito
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure how I feel about this...

Myers in on the Q.T.
Comedian goes from Love Guru to Inglorious Bastards.
by Todd Gilchrist

August 15, 2008 - On Thursday, August 14, 2008, Variety announced that Mike Myers joined the cast of Inglorious Bastards. Myers is set to play British General Ed Fenech, a military strategist who helps develop a plan to hunt down Nazis during WWII.

Myers joins a cast that includes Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, Simon Pegg, Nastassja Kinski, David Krumholtz and B.J. Novak. The film was written and is being directed by Quentin Tarantino, and borrows its name from Enzo Castellari's 1970s war film of the same name, although it is not intended to be a direct remake. Rather, Tarantino intends his film to be a broader homage to the exploitation films that inspired him, and follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers who band together to kill Nazis.

Heather19
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm definately not thrilled with that news. I'm not a fan of Mike Myers. However QT seems to do a good job with casting so hopefully he'll work well in the film.

jayson
08-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I am not all happy about it. I think Myers is so overrated and not funny. QT will have to do one hell of a job to keep him from making his scenes suck ass. :(

fernandito
08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
It's not that I don't like Myers (I'm a huge fan of Wayne's World and Austin Powers), it's just that I don't think he's the right actor for this type of movie.

Still Servant
08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I just saw a trailer for a film that Tarantino is in. It's a Japanese Western movie directed by Takashi Miike.

He's known as the Japanese Tarantino. The movie looked pretty good. I can't remember the name of it. I wouldn't be able to spell it even if I could remember.

fernandito
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Troy Beauty Joins Inglorious Bastards
Plus QT casts his bad-guy.

UK, September 1, 2008 - Hurrah! Yet more Inglorious Bastards casting news! Diane Kruger, Christoph Waltz and Paul Rust are the latest set of thesps to sign up for Quentin Tarantino's WW2 epic, according to Variety.

Kruger, who you might remember as the comely Helen from Troy, plays a seductive German actress who enters in a plot to sabotage some devious Nazi plans.

German actor Waltz will play the bad guy Colonel Hans Landa, while 'Wheelchair Darren' from Semi-Pro Paul Rust is one of the titular Bastards.

Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, Mike Myers and Michael Fassbinder are already onboard the film, which starts filming on location in Germany this October.

Seppe-sai
09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Trying to sum up what I can since this thread was merged...

1. Seymour Scagnetti was Mr. Blonde's parole officer in Res Dogs. Jack Scagnetti was the cop in NBK obsessed with catching Mickey and banging Mallory.

2. Mike Myers certainly sounds like odd casting to me, but QT is nothing if not passionate about casting the right actor for the role. I'll trust his judgment until the movie comes out and proves me otherwise.

3. DeNiro is a better comic actor than Sandler, let alone dramatic.

jayson
09-02-2008, 03:36 AM
DeNiro is a better comic actor than Sandler, let alone dramatic.

Thanks Seppe-Sai. I was sticking with the more obvious dramatic roles because it was easier to make a point, but I agree with you completely. DeNiro has impeccable comedic timing. His all-too-brief role in "Brazil" is evidence of the comedic genius of the man. :thumbsup:

Heather19
09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Feev, you read my mind. I was going to ask if you had any new info on Inglorious Bastards. Of course I had to look up all those names because I've never heard of any of them before.
Is there any news on when they start filming?

fernandito
09-03-2008, 08:07 AM
They start filming this October, in Germany. :)

fernandito
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Inglorious Exclusive
Star discusses Tarantino role.
by Kaleem Aftab, IGN UK

UK, September 26, 2008 - It's been quite a year for Michael Fassbender, an actor who for a decade was seen mainly on British TV. He wowed Cannes audiences with his brilliant turn as Irish Republican hunger striker Bobby Sands in Steve Mcqueen's award-winning film Hunger. The 31-year-old who, was born in Heidelberg Germany before moving to Ireland at age two, was also recently seen playing a middle-class holiday maker harassed and tortured by unruly British youths in James' Watkin's horror Eden Lake. IGN caught up with him at the San Sebastian film festival while he was en route to the biggest gig of his career so far, a starring role in Quentin Tarantino's WWII action yarn, Inglorious Bastards.

IGN: How was it meeting Tarantino for the first time?

Fassbender: It was amazing, fantastic. He's a film enthusiast. I love that you can mention any film to him, and he doesn't only know the f**king film, he'll quote sections of the film to you. I love that. I'm a film geek, too.

IGN: Tarantino loves Italian B-movies. Is this anything like the Enzo G. Castellari-directed 1978 Italian WWII movie Inglorious Bastards (Quel maledetto treno blindato)?

Fassbender: I haven't seen the original to be honest. I don't know, this plot is very much in a Quentin Tarantino-style. The dialogue; the rapid sort of response between characters.

IGN: Who do you play?

Fassbender: I play Hicox, Lt. Hicox, who is an English guy posing as a German soldier.

IGN: What happens to him?

Fassbender: I can't tell you that, Jesus Christ.

IGN: Tarantino is well-known for changing the script on set, are you prepared for the dialogue to change or to do some serious ad-libbing?

Fassbender: Look, I always think my job is to tell a story. The character within a script is to tell a story. I'm just going to make sure that my German is good because he might want to drift off the script, just like you said, so I have to make sure that I'm prepared enough on the German. I prepare in a very disciplined fashion, in terms of the script. I work on it, over and over again, until I'm sick of it, and then I work on it a couple of other times, so I just prepare for getting it on the page and then I relax.

IGN: Do you think that acting in a Tarantino film will be something that changes your career?

Fassbender: I just want to keep working and working with interesting people. He's definitely up there at the top of the list in terms of interesting directors, but I just want to keep on getting the chance to work and learn.

sarah
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting that, Fever.

fernandito
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
The Basterds of August
Tarantino's Inglourious film gets a release date.
by IGN Staff

January 1, 2009 - The Weinstein Company (TWC) and Universal Pictures have announced that Academy Award-winning director Quentin Tarantino 's World War II epic, Inglourious Basterds, starring Brad Pitt, will open domestically August 21, 2009.

The announcement was made by Harvey Weinstein, co-chairman of TWC and David Linde, co-chairman of Universal Pictures who are partners in the film. TWC and Universal are co-financing and co-presenting the film with TWC handling domestic distribution and Universal handling international distribution. International release dates will be announced shortly.

The ensemble cast of Inglourious Basterds includes Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Mélanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Eli Roth, Samm Levine, B.J. Novak, Til Schweiger, Christian Berkel, Michael Fassbender, Mike Myers, Rod Taylor, and Cloris Leachman.

Inglourious Basterds begins in German-occupied France, where Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own...

Heather19
02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Trailer is up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcoPxyxpE9A

fernandito
02-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Can't wait! :excited:

jayson
02-13-2009, 05:48 AM
It's scheduled for release 6 days before my birthday!!!!!

Thanks for posting the trailer Heather :)

obscurejude
02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
:rock:

Heather19
02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I know, I'm getting excited about it.
I hope since it's your birthday Jayson, you'll be able to make an exception and head out to the theater to see it.

RUBE
02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I saw the trailer at the theater tonight. Looks like it will be pretty bad ass but it is definitely not going to be one that I am going to be able to drag my wife to. It looks like it is going to be gory.

jayson
02-14-2009, 04:28 AM
I know, I'm getting excited about it.
I hope since it's your birthday Jayson, you'll be able to make an exception and head out to the theater to see it.

I've never missed a Tarantino movie in the theater and I don't plan to start now. :)

fernandito
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/inglorious.jpg

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah, unless DeNiro is playing a crazy guy or a mobster his skills are virtually nilch. At least use a good example like Kevin Spacey, a guy with some range.

Have not seen Reign Over Me or Punch Drunk Love? Love to see DeNiro even try a role like that lol

Deniro has no range outside his mobster skills, haha what an ignorant statement,

Awakenings
Backdraft
Cape Fear
This Boys Life
Sleepers
Jackie Brown
Men of Honor
Meet the Parents/Fockers
Analyze This/That
Deer Hunter
Midnight Run
etc.etc.etc.

Oh and Reign Over Me and Punch Drunk Love were Sandlers worst two movies

sarah
02-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I've never missed a Tarantino movie in the theater and I don't plan to start now. :)

me either. I've seen them all on the big screen and most on opening day. :dance:

Jayson, I wish we lived closer so we could go together.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-21-2009, 11:48 PM
August 21!

Ahhhhh but I want to watch it nowwww!!!:panic:

sarah
02-21-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't think it is done filming yet :unsure: I'm looking forward to a good full trailer not the dumb teaser they just released.

jayson
02-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Jayson, I wish we lived closer so we could go together.

That'd be cool. :couple:

Heather19
02-22-2009, 08:12 AM
I know I'm beginning to get really anxious as well. I wish it was coming out sooner.

And here's the other two posters that are out now for those that are curious.
http://www.everythingtarantino.com/pics/2009-02-ib1.jpg
http://www.everythingtarantino.com/pics/2009-02-ib2.jpg

William50
02-22-2009, 08:18 AM
:pullhair:I'm so excited!

jayson
02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I've already told my friend that what I want for my birthday is for her to babysit Ella so we can go to the theatre to see the movie.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
These posters are cool!!!
I've never been one to hang up movie posters, but these are tempting.

Garage.....HMMMMMM

Mike Beck
02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
4 to 6 hours is a looooong ass time for anyone, from any country. jesus.

anyway, here is a trailer for Inglorious Basterds. I'm psyched for new tarantino stuff. :rock:

Inglorious Basterds Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/11990378)

Mike Beck
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
just realized i posted after the 1st page, referring to something from a long time ago. :orely:

anyway, those posters look sick as eff.

Ruthful
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Meet the Parents/Fockers
Analyze This/That
Deer Hunter
Midnight Run
etc.etc.etc.

See, this is the problem I have with Deniro. Instead of preserving his legacy as a brilliant actor, he chooses to accept any role, no matter how demeaning. I'm not saying he can't do comedy well-in fact, Midnight Run is probably one of my favorite movies, which is not something you would normally hear me say about a film starring Charles Grodin-but there has to be a limit to what you'll tolerate.

It's like Michael Caine. Do people think of him as a distinguished actor any longer? No, they think of him as an actor who's notorious for accepting any crap role for which he can get garner a seven figure salary.

Mike Beck
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Deniro has no range outside his mobster skills, haha what an ignorant statement,

Awakenings
Backdraft
Cape Fear
This Boys Life
Sleepers
Jackie Brown
Men of Honor
Meet the Parents/Fockers
Analyze This/That
Deer Hunter
Midnight Run
etc.etc.etc.

Oh and Reign Over Me and Punch Drunk Love were Sandlers worst two movies

Deniro's skills are nilch??? He has no range? Did I just walk into backwards world?

Dude, he has a pretty wide range as an actor. Look at that list in the quote above. I admit that he's done some shitty movies in his time too, most actors do. But I think the guy maybe got tired of the serious drama and decided to try new genres. He already made his mark in film, he's getting older, he wants to do something a little lighter, who knows. I thought he was hilarious in meet the fockers. and i cried like a little jerk for his character in awakenings. he also doesn't get enough props for his role in The Fan. May seem like a ridiculous movie at first, but i think it's a pretty solid flick, and deniro (although playing crazy again) kind of makes you hate him/fear him/sympathize with him throughout.

Adam Sandler? I thought his role in punch drunk love was strange and weak and unlike anything he's done before. And i really dug that, but there were times where he almost fell back into his angry happy gilmore voice, and it almost became comical. i never saw reign over me, but i'm sure he's alright in it.

And please, I can't let this one go. You don't really believe there's a role out there that adam sandler could pull off, but too much of an acting obstacle for Robert Deniro? That was a joke, right? I'm almost sure that was a joke, but it's hard to tell with this internet thing.

The Michael Cain thing is a bit similar. these guys have all done academy award work. why not do some stupid movies once in a while. what does it matter to them? They succeeded in their craft and now it's time to fuck around a bit. I don't blame them at all. As far as recent movies, Michael Cain was great in Children of Men. And eventhough it was silly, i enjoyed him in Austin Powers 3.

that's how i feels.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I honestly cannot believe that anyone would seriously try to argue that Adam Sandler has more depth than DiNero. I really dont think that I can even debate with someone of that opinion. I like Adam Sandler, but he will always be the Waterboy/Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison/the Wedding Singer. Is there any actor out their that is as one-faceted as Sandler?
Sandler is just beginning to take on serious roles, and has yet to prove himself IMO. Click wasnt bad, Reign Over Me wasnt terrible, but Punch Drunk Love was a two hours of my life I will never get back. And Spanglish sucked balls
Anyway, Since this is a thread about Quetin Tarentino's new movie, this is my last comment about this here.
If you want to open a DeNiro vs Sandler thread, I will post there, along with a few other people I would expect.

jayson
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
As far as recent movies, Michael Cain was great in Children of Men.

I actually thought Caine was the one and only good thing in that film. I thought I'd like that film but I hated it, though I thought Caine's performance was great and reminded me about why I love Michael Caine.

I also agree completely with the rest of what you said Mike, except that I didn't really like The Fan (though DeNiro was very good).

They could both do nothing but crap for the rest of the careers and it may cause me to question why they take some roles but it will never lessen the great performances they've already given or cause me to question their abilities. No amount of stupid roles will make me forget DeNiro in The King of Comedy.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I too did not care for Children of Men

Mike Beck
02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah, it seemed like it would be better than it was. and i really like the director.

i would have enjoyed 2 hours of michael caine smoking weed at his house, though.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
hahahaha......yeah I guess that was a redeeming value in the movie.
I remember seeing the previews and thinking that it was going to be good.
Then I saw it and was quite dissapointed, especially with the end.

It was one of those times that the end comes and I was like "What, this cant be the end"
But it was, and I went to sleep confused.

jayson
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
i would have enjoyed 2 hours of michael caine smoking weed at his house, though.

Indeed. When I got home from the movie I packed a bowl and wished Michael Caine was there to smoke with me. :)

I remember seeing the previews and thinking that it was going to be good.

In my case I had read the book first and thought well this will make a good movie. I really should remember I rarely like adaptations and this was a good example of why.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Who wrote the book? Was it good?

jayson
02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
It was written by P. D. James. I thought it was very good, much better than the film which changed a lot from the book.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
thanks

jayson
03-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2, the one minute version...

YouTube - Kill Bill Parts 1 & 2, in One Minute, in One Take (and titles)

sarajean
03-24-2009, 06:55 AM
:rofl:

this makes me want to forsake my new av and go back to my old kiddo theme.

jayson
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
When you do it let me know and I will bring back my Pai Mei theme. :couple:

sarajean
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
can do.

obscurejude
03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Can I have a kill bill theme too? I've been watching him a lot lately.

jayson
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
That'd be cool. :)

sarajean
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
i say everyone gets on board.

jayson
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
There are certainly enough characters for lots of people to play with.

obscurejude
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
:grouphug: I'll be Bill. :)

jayson
03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Good choice. He's a bad mother. :)

sarajean
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
shut your mouth!

jayson
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM

I was talking about Bill, not Shaft. :P

Heather19
03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm so in. You guys know this is one of my favs.
Jayson that video was great :lol: but did I miss it, where was Copperhead?

jayson
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I knew you'd be in Heather. :couple:

I think the first person she killed when she came back to America (at 35 seconds in) was supposed to be Vernita (even though she was white). There was no Nikki there to see it though.

Heather19
03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
ah ok, it was so quick, I missed it the first time.

And I'm calling Elle before someone else snatches her up. Just let me know when.

jayson
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I nominate sj to be in charge. She's already told me I am not to change my current av/sig without her permission. :lol:

sarajean
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
um...i'd like to keep my current av for at least a few more days. let's shoot for the weekend. i'm sure ferny will want to be involved, too. and possibly maer.

jayson
03-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Friday (the 27th) seems an appropriate time as it's Quentin's birthday. :orely:

Heather19
03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Jayson, you amaze me with the birthdays sometimes. You always seem to know when everyone's is.

I also just found out recently that Stolz der Nation (which is the film within the film) is directed by Eli Roth.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rNKQnAZZcFE/SYnUHRj1_TI/AAAAAAAAAJw/4kZtyVHWU9Q/s400/2009-01-ibposter3.jpg

sarajean
03-25-2009, 06:51 AM
did i happen to mention that i have...this?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/1237990547.jpg

(this seemed the most appropriate place to post it.)

jayson
03-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Jayson, you amaze me with the birthdays sometimes. You always seem to know when everyone's is.

Some of them, like QT's, are like holidays to me. :)

I also just found out recently that Stolz der Nation (which is the film within the film) is directed by Eli Roth.

That should be very cool!

Awesome! I want an autographed Mr. Blonde photo.

Heather19
03-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Nice SJ!!!

sarajean
03-26-2009, 08:01 PM
happy birthday, sai tarantino! we love you!

(and i'd have your babbies. i'm just saying.)

obscurejude
03-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Happy B Day QT!!!

jayson
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I'll be celebrating by watching all of his movies this weekend (as if I needed an excuse to do that).

Woofer
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM

How awesome! RD is my fave QT by far.

"Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?"

sarajean
03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
my dad has a tendency to go WAY overboard when it comes to the gift giving. it's awesome to have, though. and it shows that he puts a lot of thought into it.

Woofer
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Good call, Dad!

*high 8 & 2 dew claws*

Heather19
03-27-2009, 02:16 AM
You've got one very thoughtful dad SJ!

sarajean
03-27-2009, 09:41 AM
:lol: awesome.

sarah
03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
that was freaking awesome!

fernandito
03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Sooooooooooo, can I assume that we're all pretty much going to watch Kill Bill tonight? :lol:

Heather19
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
:lol: I think your assumption might be right on track!

sarajean
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
i've already informed jeff and my dad not to make any tv plans.

fernandito
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
:thumbsup:

sarajean
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
see, i could watch it in the room on the small tv, but i intend to watch it on the plasma with the surround on and everything.

jayson
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Sooooooooooo, can I assume that we're all pretty much going to watch Kill Bill tonight? :lol:

I know I am. :)

Wuducynn
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Jesus titty-fucking Christ it's an Kill Bill avatar/sig gang-bang orgy from Hell in this thread.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :harrier:

sarajean
03-27-2009, 03:49 PM
there are still a few spots open, matthew. it's not too late to get in on the Kill Bill avatar/sig gang-bang orgy from Hell.

Heather19
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
:lol: Come on, you don't want to join in the fun

obscurejude
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
We're just getting started. :cool:

Heather19
03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
It's funny how many people jumped on board. I think we've got just about the whole cast done now.

obscurejude
03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh, there's plenty more, but I guess the main ensemble is close to covered. I hope some more people will jump on board.

sarajean
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
as do i.

Heather19
03-27-2009, 06:05 PM
You're right, I haven't seen Vernita or Johnny Mo yet, and I'm still waiting on the crazy 88!

jayson
03-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Oh, there's plenty more, but I guess the main ensemble is close to covered. I hope some more people will jump on board.

I suspect not too many people are rushing to be Buck. :evil:

Buck: "My name is Buck and I like to fuck."

obscurejude
03-28-2009, 07:00 AM

I suspect not too many people are rushing to be Buck. :evil:

Buck: "My name is Buck and I like to fuck."

I can think of a few that might fit the profile. :evil:

jayson
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Same here.

So after another re-watching of Kill Bill last night (don't even know how many that makes, but a lot) it still gets even better with each viewing. I think I've seen it enough times to pretty much have each individual death at House of Blue Leaves in sequence in my memory. The contrast between that fight and the one immediately following with O-Ren is handled so well by QT. There's also something so sweet about the friendship implied between O-Ren and Beatrix prior to the whole attempt to murder Beatrix. They seemed to have more than just a professional respect for one another. There was genuine friendship there. It made their battle that much deeper.

I also agree with what Ryan said earlier about how crucial the romantic aspect of the Bill/Beatrix dynamic is. QT's specialty is making "bad" people still act like human beings in some situations. As sociopathic as many of them are, few of his major characters are out and out monsters with no regard for anyone else. Beatrix trails only Roland on the body count, but she's still capable and worthy of redemption. Bill too showed that however misguided, he does much of what he does out of what he perceives as love. He also does seem like a good father to BeBe.

Dunno. Maybe I should watch it again. :)

sarajean
03-28-2009, 12:20 PM
just finished watching volume 2 for the umpteenth time.

i'm thinking next up is curdled. while not strictly one of his, it's still amazing.

Heather19
03-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen that one.

Watched Vol 1 last night, and hopefully I'll finish up Vol 2 tonight. And I agree with Jayson. This film really does get better the more you watch it. I'm always amazed with the way QT shoots his films. Everything fits together just perfectly.

obscurejude
03-28-2009, 01:30 PM

I also agree with what Ryan said earlier about how crucial the romantic aspect of the Bill/Beatrix dynamic is. QT's specialty is making "bad" people still act like human beings in some situations. As sociopathic as many of them are, few of his major characters are out and out monsters with no regard for anyone else. Beatrix trails only Roland on the body count, but she's still capable and worthy of redemption. Bill too showed that however misguided, he does much of what he does out of what he perceives as love. He also does seem like a good father to BeBe.

Dunno. Maybe I should watch it again. :)

The scene where Beatrix busts in on Bill and sees BeBe for the first time is so absurd and beautiful. Even when Bill is explaining shooting Beatrix to BeBe, its impossible to see him as a monster or simplistic sociopath. It reminds me of the villains in Cormac McCarthy, but I won't dive into that. My point is that QT reminds us that we are not as far removed from atrocious crimes as we might think. The motivations that drive violent people reside in all of us, and the human condition is such that we are never completely removed from the possibility of becoming prey to our own desires if certain traumatic situations present themselves. There's also an interesting Wittgenstenian dynamic represented in the back story of all the characters that strongly conveys a certain determinism in the contingencies of our past. We aren't as autonomous as modernity often suggests. The prospect of motherhood challenges this with Beatrix, but a lot of the dialog also suggest that she will always be a killer and a lioness.

sarajean
03-28-2009, 01:34 PM
:thumbsup::clap: very well said.

obscurejude
03-28-2009, 01:40 PM
:blush: :D

jayson
03-29-2009, 01:48 AM
The prospect of motherhood challenges this with Beatrix, but a lot of the dialog also suggest that she will always be a killer and a lioness.

Absolutely. She basically acknowledges as much when Bill is questioning her under the influence of "The Undisputed Truth." He asks her if she enjoyed every death she dealt on her way to him and she was forced to admit she did. I thought Uma was great in that scene conveying the pain that admission caused Beatrix.

obscurejude
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
The prospect of motherhood challenges this with Beatrix, but a lot of the dialog also suggest that she will always be a killer and a lioness.

Absolutely. She basically acknowledges as much when Bill is questioning her under the influence of "The Undisputed Truth." He asks her if she enjoyed every death she dealt on her way to him and she was forced to admit she did. I thought Uma was great in that scene conveying the pain that admission caused Beatrix.

I think this is the most complex aspect of the movies. I have more to say, but I just woke up and I'm kind of hungover. I'll get back to it later, hopefully, after a bike ride.

sarah
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen that one.

Watched Vol 1 last night, and hopefully I'll finish up Vol 2 tonight. And I agree with Jayson. This film really does get better the more you watch it. I'm always amazed with the way QT shoots his films. Everything fits together just perfectly.\

agreed. I really enjoyed seeing both movies in the theater separately and then together. Good show and good times, but I seem to enjoy them better the more I see them. Like it never gets old or I have to just fast forward this part to get to the good part. It is all good parts.

I have to say that I feel this exact same way with Jackie Brown. I loved this movie the first time I saw it but it just gets better and funnier everytime I see it. I've probably seen it from start to finish 15-20 times and many other times where I've just seen a part of it.

Now with Pulp Fiction, it didn't get better and better with each viewing. It was just fucking awesome the first time.

Seymour_Glass
05-09-2009, 03:50 PM
:excited:Inglourious Basterds looks amazing!:excited::excited:

Heather19
05-10-2009, 08:55 AM
It does! I'm so excited about it. It's killing me that it's still a few months away.

Seymour_Glass
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I know. I need o get to Cannes.

Heather19
05-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Here's a long article in The New York Times with QT about Inglourious Basterds
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/movies/10hoha.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

and it looks like he's got another film ready to go

Not to mention a shelved subplot about African-American soldiers stuck behind enemy lines. “I have a half-written prequel ready to go if this movie’s a smash,” he said.

Seymour_Glass
05-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Thankee for the link. :excited::excited::excited:I'm so excited for this movie its not even funny.:excited::excited::excited:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds awesome. I have mixed feelings about the subtitles though. Even though I always sit there and say "They should be speaking German, or French or whatever the appropriate language is, (I just rewatched Schindler's List the other day for example) I still hate to read a movie.

Heather19
05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Thankee for the link. :excited::excited::excited:I'm so excited for this movie its not even funny.:excited::excited::excited:

me too!!! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Subtitle thing doesn't really bother me. It depends on the movie, but in certain situations I prefer it.

jayson
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Me too Heather. I'd rather have subtitles than someone faking an accent, or worse not faking an accent when everyone else is faking an accent (like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood)

fernandito
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
QT Hints at Basterds Prequel
Tarantino teases WWII flick spin-off.

UK, May 12, 2009 - Quentin Tarantino's next film - WWII epic Inglourious Basterds -- hasn't even been released yet and the director is already talking about a prequel/spin-off.

Talking to The New York Times, QT hinted that he would be willing to revisit a sub-plot, cut from the original script, which revolves around African-American soldiers trapped behind enemy lines.

He said: "I have a half-written prequel ready to go [based on the idea] if this movie's a smash."

Basterds premieres at this year's Cannes film festival, and be sure to check out IGN next week to read our verdict on the film.

Heather19
05-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Feev, I posted that a couple of days ago :couple:

I can't really say whether or not I'd want a prequel until I see the film, but it does sound like it could be interesting.

jayson
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I can't really say whether or not I'd want a prequel until I see the film, but it does sound like it could be interesting.

Same here, but it does sound quite promising in terms of how much thought QT has put into developing the story. It's nice to be excited about a new movie. That's rare for me.

fernandito
05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I think he should focus all of his attention on the movie at hand.

Heather19
05-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Very true, and I'm sure he is. I've always pictured him as fully embracing whatever his current project is. You can tell he puts a lot of thought into his films. I doubt this other possible film will have any deleterious effect on the current one.
And from the sound of it, I really don't think he's put much time into this other possible project yet. However if he is really thinking of going forward with a film which is connected to this one then I have to imagine he's at least put some thought into it.

Seymour_Glass
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Agree about prequel. Also, R o' G, your av/sig is quite awesome.

jayson
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Seymour. sj inspired it with her Mia Wallace theme. :D

sarajean
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
now i have to post right after jayson so we can be together. :couple:

obscurejude
05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I think I'm going to wait for the prequel to come out and watch it first so I can see them in order. :idea:

jayson
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I think I'm going to wait for the prequel to come out and watch it first so I can see them in order. :idea:

Do you do scene selection on the Reservoir Dogs dvd to put it in chronological order? :P

Wuducynn
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
When is the next Tarantino movie coming out? Anyone know?

fernandito
05-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Inglorious Basterds is scheduled for a 8/21/09 release date.

jayson
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8060112.stm

Tarantino film the talk of Cannes
On the eighth day of the Cannes Film Festival, World War II epic Inglourious Basterds is all anyone is talking about.

A violent saga about Jewish freedom fighters stalking Nazi soldiers in occupied France, Quentin Tarantino's film receives its gala premiere later at the Palais des Festivals.

The critics have already seen it, though, with reactions ranging from qualified praise to ecstatic raves.

At a press conference this morning, however, its 46-year-old creator said he was happy to take his chances.

"All the world's film press from the planet Earth - they're all here," he said with typical ebullience.

"There's something about them all being here and seeing you drop the movie, bam - everybody weighs in at the exact same time.

"It's like the cat is out of the bag for the entire planet Earth, and I'm down with that," the Pulp Fiction director continued.

"I am not an American filmmaker. I make movies for planet Earth and Cannes is the place that represents that."

'Real pleasure'

Hollywood actor Brad Pitt, who plays the leader of the eponymous killing squad, said it had been "a real pleasure" to work for "an auteur" like Tarantino.

"More than anything as I get older, it's really about the company I keep," he said when asked what had drawn him to the project.

Making a film, he added, "takes you away from your family for months.

"So it had better be with people you respect, and it better be something that means something to you."

"Artistically me and Brad have been sniffing around each other for a while," smiled Tarantino.

"One of the questions I get asked a lot is 'what actor would you like to work with?' And Brad has always been one of the ones I've said."

"Quentin came to visit at the end of the summer with the script," elaborated his leading man. "We talked about it until the wee hours of the night.

"I got up the next morning and saw five empty bottles of wine lying on the floor and something that resembled a smoking apparatus.

"Apparently I agreed to do the movie because six weeks later I was in uniform. Go figure."

'Disjointed'

Critics have been generally supportive of the film, with trade paper Variety describing it as "a violent fairy tale in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined".

"Surprising, nutty, windy, audacious and a bit caught up in its own cleverness, the picture is a completely distinctive piece of American pop art with a strong Euro flavour."

Screen International's critic had reservations, however, summarising the film as "a series of long-running vignettes strung together by a slender story thread".

"With some of the scenes running up to half an hour each, the thread of the drama is left disjointed and the focus ever-changing," writes reviewer Mike Goodridge.

Inglourious Basterds - whose curious spelling Tarantino has refused to explain - will be released in the UK on 21 August.

Erin
05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
He likes to say "Planet Earth" :lol:

But for real, now i'm even more excited about this! Yay!

Heather19
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
:excited:

Odetta
05-21-2009, 06:05 AM
bring out the Gimp

fernandito
05-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Cannes 09: Inglourious Basterds Review
Tarantino's WWII epic is entertaining, but light on action.
by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, May 20, 2009 - It's been more than a decade in the making and has undergone countless re-writes over the years, but today, Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds finally screened in Cannes, and the result was unexpected to say the least: a dialogue-heavy, action-lite revenge drama.

The director billed this as his "men on a mission" movie, and while the film does have elements of such fare, this is far from QT's take on The Dirty Dozen. Instead, the Basterds of the title -- a team of hand-picked Jewish American soldiers who head to German-occupied France to bring down the Third Reich -- are just one element of what is a true ensemble piece.

Indeed, they don't even appear in "Chapter 1," the film's lengthy opening sequence entitled "Once Upon a Time... In Nazi Occupied France" (the fairytale nod allowing Tarantino to play fast and loose with history throughout).

Kicking off like a WWII spaghetti western (complete with the requisite Ennio Morricone-inspired score), the scene introduces Nazi Colonel Hans Landa, nicknamed The Jew Hunter for his efforts to enforce Hitler's "Final Solution."

Landa is visiting a French farm that he believes harbours a family of Jews, and soon indulges in a lengthy psychological game of cat and mouse with the master of the house regarding the whereabouts of his prey.

This is vintage Tarantino, with a conversation about the difference between rats and squirrels eliciting laughs, while the ever-increasing tension causes the stomach to knot. The scene concludes in a genuinely shocking manner, and sets the wheels in motion for what is to come.

Then, finally, we meet the Basterds. Led by Brad Pitt's Lieutenant Aldo Raine, their number includes "Bear Jew" Donnie Donowitz (Eli Roth), whose weapon of choice is a blood-stained baseball bat, and Hugo Stiglitz (Til Schweiger), a German soldier who saw the light and merrily bumped off his colleagues before joining up with the inglorious troupe. Yet while they seem like a colourful bunch, we are given little backstory apart from the above, and, for the brief time they are on screen, little actual story to make them anything more than a series of faces and names.

Instead, the film turns its attention to Shosanna Dreyfuss (Melanie Laurent), a girl briefly introduced at the start of the film, and who in 1944 is now a young woman, forging a new identity in Paris as the owner of a cinema. Driven by a desire for revenge for an event from her past, an opportunity presents itself when the top tier of the Third Reich decide to premiere their new piece of propaganda in her theatre, putting Shosanna on a collision course with the Basterds, who have also identified the same opportunity to bring down Team Hitler.

Her efforts to give the Nazi film the ultimate opening night are then juxtaposed with the Basterd's plan, as they collaborate with British soldier Archie Hilcox (Michael Fassbender) and actress-turned-spy Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) in an attempt to end the war in one fell swoop.

This plot strand leads directly to one of the film's biggest flaws, however -- a bar scene that occurs at the mid-way point and seems to go on for an eternity. It has its moments, with the tension mounting as undercover agents risk exposure, but as time ticks by and the scene becomes ever more repetitive and self-indulgent, interest wanes, and what should have been one of the film's most dramatic sequences instead plays out as something of a bore.

Coming hot-on-the-heels of a strange comedic scene in which Mike Myers channels Austin Powers to play an eccentric English colonel, it makes for a flat mid-section that let's the film down badly.

And while the finale, in which both plots come to a head, is undoubtedly an action tour de force, celebrating the power of cinema (both metaphorically and literally) as the premiere goes off with a bang, it feels like it all comes a little too late in the day.

Nevertheless, there's still much to admire throughout Inglorious Basterds. Performance-wise, the work is excellent, with Christoph Waltz in particular excelling as the charming-yet-chilling Landa. A star-making turn, he steals every scene in which he appears, and is worth the price of admission alone. Kruger and Laurent also excel as strong women taking matters into their own hands as they take on the full force of the Third Reich.

The Nazis were big fans of the "stick a card on your forehead" game.

Daniel Bruel delivers a marvellously ambiguous turn as Nazi hero Frederick Zoler, while Fassbender is in typically blistering form during his brief time on screen. Indeed, the only performance that disappoints is that of star Pitt, who gurns, grimaces and ultimately grates as Raine, never truly convincing as the kind of man the Basterds would follow into battle without hesitation or fear.

Tarantino's ear for witty, original dialogue is also alive and well, especially in Landa's many chilling monologues, while he effortlessly combines fact and fiction, his larger-than-life creations happily rubbing shoulders with genuine historical figures. Gore-hounds should also be pleased with the violence quota, as the Basterds scalp, maim and very definitely leave their mark on every Nazi they encounter.

The result is an entertaining yet uneven movie that provides comedy, drama and some interesting psychological twists and turns, but never quite delivers on that "men on a mission" promise, lacking the requisite action and spectacle to truly to make it a classic of the genre.

Inglourious Basterds is released on August 21, and you can head over to our dedicated Cannes site to read more reviews from the festival.

Heather19
05-23-2009, 09:50 PM
oh man, I had to skip over half of that review. I don't like to hear too much about a film before I go to see it, but I'm kinda surprised by what the reviewer says in the beginning.

and the result was unexpected to say the least: a dialogue-heavy, action-lite revenge drama
That's pretty much what I expected. Tarantino has always been very big on dialogue.

I can't wait for this to finally be released. :excited::excited::excited:

jayson
05-24-2009, 03:33 AM
So far the only 'criticisms' I've read on this movie all sound like positives to me despite whatever the critic may have intended. "Light on action, heavy on dialogue" is the mark of a QT movie and shouldn't surprise a critic who has seen his other films.

fernandito
05-24-2009, 06:48 AM
I just hope that his often irrelevant-to-the-plot banter for this movie is occasionally gripping or entertaining, not like the snorefest that was Death Proof. <_<

Seymour_Glass
05-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Man, I haven't even seen Death Proof. And I don't intend to.

But that review sounded like the movie want to see.

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I just hope that his often irrelevant-to-the-plot banter for this movie is occasionally gripping or entertaining, not like the snorefest that was Death Proof. <_<

Yeah, I saw that in the theaters and since it was a double feature I had a really hard time staying awake. With the fake commercials and everything, we were there for well over four hours.

Seymour_Glass
05-25-2009, 06:05 PM
:scared:Falling asleep during a film?:scared:

That's a horrible offense to me. Unless its a horrible film. I haven't seen Grindhouse, mainly because it looks like Rodriguez and Tarantino gave into their worst influences.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Grindhouse succeeded in its goal. That is to be reminenscent of B movie, exploitation films. It was entertaining as long as one did not expect to leave the theater with any kind of revelation. That said......Dont forget to smoke a fattie first.

Heather19
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Seymour you really should watch it. I loved Grindhouse, and thought the whole idea was alot of fun.
Death Proof is by no means my favorite Tarantino film, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. I've seen it so many times now, and every time I like it more and more. Not to mention it's got some great car chase scenes in it.

jayson
05-26-2009, 01:53 PM
What Heather said.

If Death Proof were its own stand-alone movie I would view it somewhat differently (though I'd still like it) but in its context as half of the Grindhouse project, it works perfectly.

Seymour_Glass
06-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I just saw Jackie Brown for the first time.:cool:

It was really good. Not as good as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs, of course, but still pretty durn good.

Still Servant
06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Jackie Brown is a really good film and I think it kind of gets lost in the shuffle while talking about Trarantino's films.

There are so many great performances. I love DeNiro's performance the best. It's just so subtle. I love the scene where he and Bridget Fonda are looking for their car in the parking lot.

Jackie Brown should not be overlooked.

jayson
06-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Jackie Brown is a really good film and I think it kind of gets lost in the shuffle while talking about Trarantino's films.

There are so many great performances. I love DeNiro's performance the best. It's just so subtle. I love the scene where he and Bridget Fonda are looking for their car in the parking lot.

Jackie Brown should not be overlooked.

Couldn't agree more. What people should consider is that Jackie Brown is a bit of a departure for QT as it is an adaptation and not an original story of his.

sarah
06-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I love Jackie Brown. Melanie is one of my favorites. I've probably seen that just as many times as Pulp Fiction. I think it gets better with each viewing.

Brice
06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
IMO Jackie Brown is right up there with the best of Tarantino's films. I could watch it every day.

jayson
06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
No doubt. Jackie Brown is an excellent movie that gets better and better. I love the slower pace. I love the performances (especially DeNiro, Forrester and Fonda). I love it all.

Seymour_Glass
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I really liked Samuel L. Jackson in Jackie Brown. It's similar to Jules, but so different in the end.

Heather19
07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFx6nP2OJXU

only a couple of weeks away :excited:

turtlex
07-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Say, anyone going to be in / near NYC on August 14st?

Friday, August 14, 2009
The New York Times Live presents TimesTalks
A Conversation with Quentin Tarantino
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM

Hear Oscar-winning screenwriter, director and actor Quentin Tarantino ("Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction," "Kill Bill," "Grind House") discuss filmmaking, his work and his latest movie, "Inglourious Basterds," set during WW II and opening August 21. Interviewed by New York Times Magazine editor at large Lynn Hirschberg.

Tickets: $30

www.thetimescenter.com
Click on What's On
Change Calendar to August
Click on Event

( sorry, there's not a direct link )

Seymour_Glass
07-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I love that trailer!:excited:

jayson
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
well hell, if seymour's not going to say it, i will...

Inglourious Basterds!!!!

:excited:

this year holds the best birthday movie for me in a long long time. :D

Seymour_Glass
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I've created a monster.Of awesomeness.Inglourious Basterds!

fernandito
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
And I want my scalps.

Seymour_Glass
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Does anyone else think its really funny that Neil from Freaks and Geeks is one of the Basterds?

Heather19
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone else think its really funny that Neil from Freaks and Geeks is one of the Basterds?

Yes, I thought the same thing when I heard he was in it. But I think he'll actually do a good job in the film.

And I so want to go to that talk, but I'm actually leaving for Canada that day :(

fernandito
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
UK, August 13, 2009 - Quentin Tarantino has been talking about his desire to adapt a Len Deighton spy novel, with the director claiming he might like to shoot in the UK.

"I love England" he told website WENN (reported on IMDB). "It would be a wonderful life experience to have an excuse to work here for six or nine months."

"One of the things I enjoy musing about doing is the trilogy of Len Deighton books, Berlin Game, Mexico Set and London Match," he continued. "The story takes place in the Cold War and follows a spy named Bernard Samson. What is attractive is the really great characters and the wonderful opportunities of British and German casting."

According to Tarantino, that cast could include some of the UK's finest acting talent. "I am a huge fan of Simon Pegg, so I would definitely love to work with him. I also think Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses that ever lived, so I would be honoured to work with her. I am also a huge admirer of Anthony Hopkins. I would also love to work with Michael Caine. I can see them appearing in my movies, it just has to be right."

Tarantino's latest film, Inglourious Basterds, hits screens worlwide next week.

fernandito
08-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Inglorious Basterds Review
Neither glorious nor inglorious, Tarantino's latest is a mixed bag.
by Christopher Monfette

August 18, 2009 - When Quentin Tarantino first announced that he would cast, film, edit and premiere Inglorious Basterds within a window of less than ten months, the announcement left many who'd yet to read the script curious as to whether he could realistically succeed. After all, this was Tarantino's self-described homage to the Dirty Dozen, a character-heavy man-on-a-mission script that would most certainly contain the kind of large-scale action set pieces that require months to film. It would, one supposed, be heavy on European intrigue, meticulously plotted and narratively involved. Featuring a bad-ass group of Nazi-killin' soldiers, we assumed that casting would be a substantial hurdle of A-list names and that the Basterds' interaction would be a pivotal part of the film. There was nothing about the endeavor that didn't appear entirely time-consuming…

…Except that, in the end, there are no large-scale battle scenes, no A-list talent, no complicated plotting or intricate structure…The Basterds' don't chew up the majority of the screen time and one could count on two hands the number of scenes in the script…Apparently, Tarantino knew that the way to make a movie in eight months was simply this: not to make a movie at all.

Inglorious Basterds is less a single experience than it is four brief plays and a short film. It is, by far, Tarantino's more theatrical work since Reservoir Dogs, the dialogue-heavy, single-setting opus that first painted the writer/director as the mid-Miramax posterchild for the 70's-inspired crime drama. Like Kill Bill before it, the film is divided into five "chapters," each more of a scene than a sequence, in which characters engage in lengthy, too-casual conversations as a precursor to some sudden bit of ultra-violent punctuation. Each chapter runs about 20-30 minutes in length, usually set within a single room, and highlights a specific set of characters – the "Jew Hunter" Col. Landa in the first chapter, Lt. Aldo Raine and the Basterds in the second, a Jewish survivor and her would-be German suitor in the third and a handful of British-German spies in the fourth. The fifth chapter weaves the stories together in a climax that is certainly the most structured and "cinematic" portion of the film.

It serves one best to quickly dispel the notion of "Inglorious Basterds" as those green-suited men we've spied in the trailer traipsing through Europe bashing in Nazi skulls with a blood-stained baseball bat. The "Basterds," in as much as the movie defines them, are more than that. They are the Nazis themselves; they are the surviving Jews who plan revenge; they are the British operatives and the German double-agent. They are those who are somehow complicit, the ones with the red-tinted hands, regardless of loyalty or motive.

The story itself is relatively simple. Col. Landa, tasked by the Nazis with tracking down all the remaining Jews in France, guns down the family of a young Jewish girl named Soshanna. The girl escapes the melee and some years later becomes the proprietor of a Parisian cinema in which the German high command plan to hold a gala film premiere. Meanwhile, a special U.S. military unit known as the Basterds is sent to Europe to spread fear amongst the Nazis. They're ordered to meet up with a British operative with a contact inside the German military ranks in an effort to infiltrate the premiere and blow up the theatre. All this as Soshanna herself, unrecognized by the Nazis who've commandeered her theater, seeing her opportunity for revenge, plans to destory the building as well.

Make no mistake, each particular section of the film is filled with first-rate performances and the kind of dialogue-as-suspense that Tarantino fans have come to appreciate. The problem, however, is that there's simply too much of it. We're essentially offered long, sprawling conversations leading up to 30-second bursts of action, which is all well and good, except where ten minutes would have been sufficient. When, in the midst of a tense scene between German soldiers and undercover British agents, the characters stop for five minutes to play a drinking game, one begins to question the necessity for particular beats, most especially when the outcome seems inevitable. This, combined with the film's rather segmented structure, can often mean that audiences won't see their favorite characters for lengthy periods of time. Consequently, for a filmmaker known for sprawling character pieces chock-a-block with interconnecting plot-lines, Basterds offers some of Tarantino's flattest, most two-dimensional characters to date. Whether this is the result of simply getting to know them in singular, meandering sections -- rather than a fully-woven narrative -- or that they are, in fact, rather shallowly drawn is entirely dependant on the viewer.

On the other hand, it offers some of his best and most dynamic, as well. Christoph Waltz as Col. Landa stands amongst the best of Tarantino's baddies – brutal, charming, snake-like and cowardly. Waltz's effortlessly disarming performance is perhaps the best portrayal of a Nazi since Raph Fiennes in Schindler's List, fully-fleshed and endlessly engaging. A few moments toward the end of the film reveal Landa to be more than simply the villainous Nazi we might otherwise have expected. Lt. Aldo Raine, however, is a stranger case, indeed. Initially a rather one-dimensional role, Brad Pitt's simultaneously terrifying and hilarious performance offers layers to a character that might easily have sloughed across the page and died of excessive personality.

At the end of the day, Basterds is a series of strongly made, if expertly (over)written, pieces that never really come together into one coherent whole. The fifth chapter is incredibly well executed, but at that point, it's too-little-too-late, and Tarantino's personal penchant for cinema seems to inspire a narrative that is, to some degree, far from the Dirty Dozen homage that fans might have expected or desired. Even that familiar pop-culture cool is missing from his largely sub-titled exchanges by virtue of the film's period setting, but Tarantino nevertheless fills his film with historically hip references to Leni Riefenstahl or UFA, the leading film studio in Germany throughout WWII. And while one can certainly respect and appreciate what Tarantino's accomplished here, one also wonders if maybe the more straightforward approach might not have yielded a better overall film.

Heather19
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
oh no, I can't read that review. I'm trying to be good and not read anything about it till I see the film. I hope I haven't hyped it up too much in my head. I don't want to leave disappointed.

Friday night can't come quick enough :excited:

fernandito
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a feeling it's goign to end up being another Death Proof ...

:/

Heather19
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Nooooo.... don't say that. Although I did enjoy Death Proof, but I'm hoping for something more along the lines of Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill.

Still Servant
08-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I've been looking forward to this film since Tarantino announced he was working on it like 5 years ago. It seemed like it was never going to get here. I can't believe it opens in a few days. I'm pretty excited, but at the same time I don't want to get too excited.

I liked Death Proof too. It will be better than that.

I just hope people don't go into Basterds thinking it's going to be a serious war movie. It's QT's version of a war film. There's going to be a lot of stuff that is intentionally over the top, kind of like the violence in Kill Bill.

jayson
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
right now, my one and only expectation from it, is that it will feel like a quentin tarantino film. the rest will fall into place. he hasn't disappointed me yet. i'll know more after i see it, but his track record with entertaining me speaks for itself.

Seymour_Glass
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
True nuff. Man knows how to direct a hella enjoyable film.

jayson
08-21-2009, 06:21 AM
got my tickets for a 3:15 showing today

anyone else seeing it today?

fernandito
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Right here! Getting my tickets after work for 7 p.m showing :D

Seymour_Glass
08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not gonna be able to see it for another week.... :cry:

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 02:28 PM
got my tickets for a 3:15 showing today

anyone else seeing it today?

6:05 showing at my local theater!!!!!

"This German wants to die for his country...............oblige him"

Ruthful
08-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm going to try and catch the matinee tomorrow morning, but even if I can't make it to the first show I'll still shell out the eleven bucks to see it.

jayson
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
so, i am back

i will keep my thoughts brief as

a. i am still processing it

and

2. i want to avoid spoiling anything for anyone

that said...

the review posted earlier which called the film "incoherent" is so off the mark as to be laughable. if that fellow found it incoherent, i seriously question his intelligence and ability to follow a story. quite frankly, i found it one of the most coherent of qt's stories to date.

the only other comment i will make at this time is that christoph waltz deserves an academy award for his portrayal of colonlel landa. whoever wins the award this year, and i don't give a damn who it is or for what film, i will never believe they gave a better performance than the one i just watched waltz give. that, my friends, was a master class in acting.

i will have more thoughts when some others have seen it.

ps. the film made me proud to be a jew

that was the whole point of the film right? don't fuck with the jews? that's what i got out of it anyway. :shoot:

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
so, i am back

i will keep my thoughts brief as

a. i am still processing it

and

2. i want to avoid spoiling anything for anyone

that said...

the review posted earlier which called the film "incoherent" is so off the mark as to be laughable. if that fellow found it incoherent, i seriously question his intelligence and ability to follow a story. quite frankly, i found it one of the most coherent of qt's stories to date.

the only other comment i will make at this time is that christoph waltz deserves an academy award for his portrayal of colonlel landa. whoever wins the award this year, and i don't give a damn who it is or for what film, i will never believe they gave a better performance than the one i just watched waltz give. that, my friends, was a master class in acting.

i will have more thoughts when some others have seen it.

2 hrs til showtime but, better than Ledger in Dark Knight? I thought that the performance he gave in that movie was utterly awesome. A real "Peace out" I'm outta here kinda thing (which he unfortunately did).

I have for a long time watched the Oscars and read about performances etc but, not until Ledger as the Joker did I really appreciate an actor per se. At least as a "real" profession.

jayson
08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
2 hrs til showtime but, better than Ledger in Dark Knight? I thought that the performance he gave in that movie was utterly awesome. A real "Peace out" I'm outta here kinda thing (which he unfortunately did).

I have for a long time watched the Oscars and read about performances etc but, not until Ledger as the Joker did I really appreciate an actor per se. At least as a "real" profession.

never saw it so i can't say.

but, this was a better performance than i've seen by anyone in anything in a long time.

Heather19
08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I saw it earlier this evening. I won't say too much right now, but I really did enjoy it. Probably not as much as some of his other films, but I went in with exceedingly high expectations so I was bound to be at least a little disappointed. And I'll agree with Jayson that it was probably the most linear and easy to follow Tarantino film to date. Oh and Christoph Waltz was excellent in the film. Especially the opening scene.

jayson
08-21-2009, 07:04 PM
nobody uses music like qt either, particularly his timely use of the bowie tune.

Heather19
08-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes, I noticed that as well. And his use of music has always been one of the things I've loved about his films.

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Yep. you guys nailed it. Waltz was great and so was Pitt I thought. Even if he does get "more like chewed out" lol lol

The Nazi-marking was a great touch!!! And Pitt was definitely getting better at it!

:wtf:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
My only concern about the movie has been the casting of Mike Myers. I havent seen the movie yet as I am working this week, but what thoughts do those who have seen it have concerning Mike Myers?

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
By the way, I loved the voice and visual cameo's If I'm not mistaken:

Voice: Harvey Kietel
Samuel Jackson

Video: Michael Myers

Feel free to list any I missed

Heather19
08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I did not care for Mike Myers at all. That was the one that I'm still surprised he cast. At least it was just a very small part, because I don't think I could have handled it if he was on the screen for longer.

And the voice cameos were great :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I did not care for Mike Myers at all. That was the one that I'm still surprised he cast. At least it was just a very small part, because I don't think I could have handled it if he was on the screen for longer.

And the voice cameos were great :thumbsup:

You know, I agree, I am not a Mike Myers fan either but, I thought that he was well cast and had just the right amount of screen time. It also held true to QT's tendency to cast oddball and fringe actors in out of character spots (if I said that right? lol lol) Like David Carradine as "Bill".

Heather19
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, but they worked in those roles. Mike just seemed out of place to me. I don't know his acting just seemed a little too cheesy for the role.

Still Servant
08-22-2009, 06:28 AM
I posted this in the General Movie Discussion, but then I realized it might have been better to post it here:

The Inglourious Basterds

I saw the Inglourious Basterds last night. First let me preface this review by saying that I'm a huge fan of QT and I've been waiting for this film for years.

For those of you who don't care to read the whole review I will say that it was a great film. A triumph of film making by one of the greatest modern American directors.

That being said there were some disappointments here for me. First of all let me say that I am not a sadistic person. I am not a violent person. When I see a spider in the house, I capture him in a paper cup and release him outside.

This is why it might sound weird for me to say that there wasn't enough violence in this for me. I guess I just had the wrong impression going in. I thought there would be a lot more scenes with the Basterds being bastards.

There are many scenes (especially towards the beginning) that don't even have any of the Basterds in them. Some of these scenes are long and very dialogue heavy with a ton of subtitles, which doesn't bother me.

The only problem is that while sitting through those scenes I just wanted to see some Nazis getting killed. Now don't get me wrong, these scenes are dripping with tension and when the shit hits the fan, it's quick, violent, satisfying and perfect.

I also would have liked to learn a little bit more about the Basterds. We really only know 3 of them and of those 3 we really only see back story for Hugo (which is sweet by the way.) I want to know about the Bear Jew and why he uses a baseball bat. Was he a failed minor league player who went crazy and hit an ump? How did Aldo get that scar around his neck? Why is he qualified to lead the Basterds?

I just feel that for a film that is called the Inglorious Basterds, we really didn't get to meet a lot of them.

Anyway, I had a great time watching this film. I think I just thought it was going to be different. There are some great performances here by Pitt and Waltz (who's sure to get an Oscar Nom) as well as some strong supporting performances. I think the story is pretty tight, but certain scenes might have called for a little more editing.

Overall, if you are a fan of QT, then The Basterds is right up your alley. Just don't go in thinking you are going to get non stop Nazi killing action.

jayson
08-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I thought there would be a lot more scenes with the Basterds being bastards.

i kind of liked that we really just saw them all in action the once. it added to the whole idea that the basterds were something you heard about in rumors but never really saw and if you did, you wouldn't live to tell. the one scene in which we see all of them operating as one was done perfectly.

I want to know about the Bear Jew and why he uses a baseball bat.

my question was why didn't he want to be hank greenberg instead of ted williams? :rolleyes:

i know the obvious answer is that he was a red sox fan, but it'd have been a nice touch to have him reference greenberg.

all i know is, a day later, i am still processing all that i saw in this film and the more i remember, the better i think it was and i already thought it was awesome.

Heather19
08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought there would be a lot more scenes with the Basterds being bastards.

i kind of liked that we really just saw them all in action the once. it added to the whole idea that the basterds were something you heard about in rumors but never really saw and if you did, you wouldn't live to tell. the one scene in which we see all of them operating as one was done perfectly.

You make a good point Jayson. Like Still Servant, that was the thing that disappointed me the most with the film. I was expecting lots more violence and a lot more scenes with the Basterds. And I too would have liked to get to know a few more of their backstories. But I can see it from your perspective as well, and that does make sense. I'm sure that's probably the point that Tarantino was going for.

I already really want to go see the film again :)

jayson
08-22-2009, 10:16 AM
exactly

i'd love to know more about them and how they all came to be there. of course, there's still plenty i'd like to know about the deadly vipers and the reservoir dogs too. qt likes all the speculation. what he leaves to our imaginations is often what i like best about him.

ola
08-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Would have preferred more back stories like Hugo's and more Basterds action, but I still enjoyed it. I think I would have been willing for it to be way longer too, maybe even 3 hours...I mean, Harry Potter was around that length and I didn't mind at all, despite already knowing the story.

One of my favorite moments is in the tavern when Hugo looks like he's about to freak out, and the music starts up...

jayson
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I think I would have been willing for it to be way longer too, maybe even 3 hours.

yes, more would have been just fine with me. my preference for watching kill bill is to do it in one sitting. i could have done with sitting for another hour or so with that story.

Ruthful
08-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I thought it was fantastic as well. It just demonstrates, once again, Tarantino's facility with dialogue.

5 stars.

idk, my bff jill?
08-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Please excuse me as I just watched Inglorious Basterds and need to change my panties.

W-O-Fucking-W.
That is all.

Merlin1958
08-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Ok, since I didn't see a thread dedicated to this movie it seemed to call to me. So this is the official DT Inglorious Basterds thread. Post your likes, dis-likes, thoughts, opinions and reviews here!!!!

I loved it!!!!!

Oblige me!!!!! lol lol

:rock::rock::rock:

ola
08-22-2009, 05:19 PM
FYI There's some of that going on in the Tarantino thread:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3040&page=9

Still Servant
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Merlin, I love your sigs. The Outlaw Josie Wales quote is won of my favorite lines.

I also love the Basterds quote. Don't forget the part where he says cousin though. If you want the whole quote here it is. You can edit it down if you want:

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, Business is a-boomin'."

ola
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
An FYI for anyone who's interested, Christophe Waltz (Landa) is on today's Adam Carolla Podcast: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.931jackfm.com/kcbs2/1916007.mp3

Merlin1958
08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Merlin, I love your sigs. The Outlaw Josie Wales quote is won of my favorite lines.

I also love the Basterds quote. Don't forget the part where he says cousin though. If you want the whole quote here it is. You can edit it down if you want:

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, Business is a-boomin'."

Thanks dude. The somewhat abbreviated quote is more about space than content. I hadda delete something and "Cousin" ended up on the editing room floor LOL LOL

I open to suggestions though. I just didn't want to part with any of them!! lol

Ruthful
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
An FYI for anyone who's interested, Christophe Waltz (Landa) is on today's Adam Carolla Podcast: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.931jackfm.com/kcbs2/1916007.mp3

Cool.

I can't believe there are people who don't like Adam Carolla's podcasts. Some douchebag NPR listener actually wrote a letter to "All Thing's Considered" after he was interviewed, and claiming that those idiotic Car Talk dweebs were funnier and more interesting than Carolla's car podcast.

AIMB
08-24-2009, 10:37 PM
My only concern about the movie has been the casting of Mike Myers. I havent seen the movie yet as I am working this week, but what thoughts do those who have seen it have concerning Mike Myers?

I hated it but it was a pretty short part so easy to ignore.

1. The bowie scene was the prettiest in the whole movie.

2. The bar scene was the most intense.

3. The scene in the woods with the soldiers was the most bad-ass.

4. The bad guy was very convincing, good actor.

jayson
08-25-2009, 04:52 AM

it is difficult to find someone who dislikes myers more than i. that said, he wasn't on screen long enough to really take anything away from this film. it was certainly not the "qt can get a good performance out of him because he can get a good performance out of anyone" that had been suggested when his name first came up, but his part was so small that he was gone rather quickly.

Merlin1958
08-25-2009, 10:19 AM

it is difficult to find someone who dislikes myers more than i. that said, he wasn't on screen long enough to really take anything away from this film. it was certainly not the "qt can get a good performance out of him because he can get a good performance out of anyone" that had been suggested when his name first came up, but his part was so small that he was gone rather quickly.

I agree and, with no intention to offend anyone, that sort of "comically official Brit" portrayal, I thought, fit nicely right there and as stated it was just short enough to make its impression and move on so as not to adversely affect the overall film. IMHO

Heather19
08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know, he really annoyed me in the film. And I definitely didn't think Tarantino got a good performance out of him whatsoever. But he wasn't on screen for very long, that luckily right after he left the screen I was completely dissolved back into the film. I still think he would have been better off casting someone else for the role, but that's just my opinion.

Merlin1958
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't know, he really annoyed me in the film. And I definitely didn't think Tarantino got a good performance out of him whatsoever. But he wasn't on screen for very long, that luckily right after he left the screen I was completely dissolved back into the film. I still think he would have been better off casting someone else for the role, but that's just my opinion.

I hear ya. I don't like Mike Myers myself very much. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Like I said at least he didn't ruin the movie. Whether it was a cool cameo or not, it was graciously short!!!!

"We in the killing Nazi's business and Cousin, business is-a booming!!!!!"

(Gracious nod to "Still Servant")
:pirate::pirate: