PDA

View Full Version : The Joker

Spencer
05-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Discuss the greatest comics character ever. :D

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/thumb/1/13/Batman_-_The_Killing_Joke.jpg/350px-Batman_-_The_Killing_Joke.jpg

Matt
05-17-2007, 09:56 AM
That comic right there is my all time most favorite.

The whole idea that they made each other and the Jokers great joke about the flashlight at the end. So much insight...I love it.

Spencer
05-17-2007, 05:02 PM
My favorite comic ever too. Alan Moore is a genius. Such a great examination of why the Joker is what he is, and, in the end, all you know is that you don't know.

Spencer
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Alan Moore's original script for the 1st 12 pages. You can see how dedicated Moore is to his craft, and the evolution of this great story.

http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/killingjokescript.html

MonteGss
05-21-2007, 03:15 AM
http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/jokerrevealed.jpg

If anyone is interested. I know it's not comics but...

Matt
05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Anything with Dark Knight and Joker in the title, I am interested. :lol:

Erin
05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Ooooh, The Joker. Me likes.

Did you guys see the link for the picture of how he's going to look in the new movie? It's creepy!

This looks good! (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/3636.asp)

Matt
05-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Eeek!!

That is freaky, night mare freaky. :unsure:

I always considered him a very tragic figure, almost as tragic as batman himself.

Erin
05-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I know! I'm really glad I didn't find that link while sitting here alone at night. I may have screamed.

OchrisO
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
The fact that Heath Ledger is playing The Joker makes me want to sit in a corner and cry.

Erin
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Not punch a baby?

And who know? Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe.

OchrisO
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm so disappointed that I can't even muster the anger to punch babies.

I'm actually a Heath Ledger fan, I just don't think he has it in him to play The Joker properly.

Spencer
05-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm so disappointed that I can't even muster the anger to punch babies.

I'm actually a Heath Ledger fan, I just don't think he has it in him to play The Joker properly.

I'm in total agreement there. He doesn't really play angry all that well.

Spencer
05-23-2007, 06:43 AM
http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/jokerrevealed.jpg

If anyone is interested. I know it's not comics but...

If there's something here I'm supposed to be able to see or click, I can't do it.

Matt
05-23-2007, 06:44 AM
I couldn't see anything either Spencer :lol:

Patrick
05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
I've always loved the Dark Knight and The Joker.

I was in Europe in the summer/early fall the year The Killing Joke was released. I bought it in London (the U.K. release?) at the end of my trip, read it on the plane trip home and then gave it to a friend.

What a great story. Now I want it back. :P

Spencer
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

I was in Europe in the summer/early fall the year The Killing Joke was released. I bought it in London (the U.K. release?) at the end of my trip, read it on the plane trip home and then gave it to a friend.

Dude, you can pick the book up for cover price. Far as I know, it's never really gone out of print, there's copies around somewhere. You could probably get the shop you get the DT books to order you a copy.

Also there's this TPB for only $20

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/G/G8156.JPG

It includes not only The Killing Joke, but 2 of the best Superman stories EVER written, "For the Man Who Has Everything", and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", Some of Moore's classic Swamp Thing run, and a LOT more. I highly reccommend it.

ErinPatricia
05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
I need that TPB....Blake are you paying attention?

As for Heath as the Joker....*sigh*
Im not happy about it, but Im anxious to see what he does with it.
All I ask is that they do NOT put Harley in the movie. She's still my favorite and the character will get ruined if they do.

If any of you havent read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth you need to hit the comic shop right now and read it.

http://www.popimage.com/profile/morrison/pics/arkham.jpg

Matt
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
That is an amazing graphic novel there. I used to own it but I am not sure what I did with it. :(

ErinPatricia
05-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Thats probably my favorite Joker story...with Killing Joke coming in a very very very close second.

Patrick
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I want my original Killing Joke, dammit.

Actually, I'll check out that Stories of Alan Moore, thanks for the heads up.

I think I still have my Arkham Asylum - if that's the same one I'm thinking of. It's a great book.

BlakeMP
05-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I've read most of the stories in the Alan Moore book -- they're all pretty good. Except his Swamp Thing stuff. I know, it's blasphemy, but I just didn't like his Swamp Thing. Of course, I don't like MOST people's Swamp Thing...

Jimmy
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Wow, I didn't even know this thread was here. Fantastic, as The joker is my favorite comics character ever. I even use the name Joseph Kerr when I order pizza. No one's gotten it yet.

I like the Ledger Joker, and I'm not worried in the slightest. Nicholson was just Nicholson in white face, imo. Ledger should be able to pull off the insane serial killer aspect of the character, I think.

Spencer
06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Of course, I don't like MOST people's Swamp Thing...

I'm with ya there.

Spencer
06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
When you go to your comics store to pick up your Dark Tower Comic, make SURE you buy Detective Comics #833, and read it ALL the way through. You will be blown away. That's all I'm gonna say.

Spencer
06-08-2007, 07:26 AM
From IGN's review:

There are so many reasons why Detective Comics #833 is one of the best Batman comics to hit shelves in years, maybe even decades.

Go get it. :D

Jimmy
06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Spoil me, I'm broke.

The_Nameless
06-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Spoil me, I'm broke.

As am I. I would greately appreciaite it if you filled me in.

The_Nameless
06-09-2007, 03:21 PM

All I ask is that they do NOT put Harley in the movie. She's still my favorite and the character will get ruined if they do.

If any of you havent read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth you need to hit the comic shop right now and read it.

Well, I'm not sure if she'll become the Joker's apprentice/sidekick, but the charcter of Dr. Harley Quinn will be in the movie, from what I hear.

It is still rumour (as far as I know). The rumours are suggesting it may be Sarah Michelle Gellar playing Harley. It may have been confirmed now; I haven't been following the movies news.

By the way, Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite graphic novels. Killing Joke is one of Joker's best stories, even if it got rid of one of my favourite characters.

Spencer
06-10-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll see if I can find a review with no spoilers, but big hints. That'll be fun. :lol:

Spencer
06-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Here's that whole IGN review:

There are so many reasons why Detective Comics #833 is one of the best Batman comics to hit shelves in years, maybe even decades. It's not just the brilliant twist ending, which is so damn crazy, out-of-leftfield and well executed that it genuinely caught me off guard - something few comics are able to do to any jaded, internet-connected comic fan these days. It's not just the pitch-perfect characterization of all players involved, from Batman to Zatanna to Gordon. It's not even the fact that in just two or three pages, this issue deals with the emotional fallout from the whole silly Batman mind-wipe fiasco better than any other issue or series to previously attempt to do so.

No, even though all these factors do indeed play a large role in making this issue so incredible, the main reason Detective Comics is so bloody enjoyable (pun intended) is because finally, after spending the larger part of his run on this series telling very good, immensely readable, but not quite great one-shots, writer Paul Dini has finally smashed one out of the park and delivered a Batman story (or at least, part one of a Batman story) that is as good, if not better than the best episodes of Dini's Batman: The Animated Series.

This issue channels the same dramatic, anything-can-happen energy of the Steve Englehart/Marshal Rogers Batman run of the 1970's, which isn't too surprising considering some of the finest Dini-penned Batman: The Animated Series episodes are direct adaptations of Englehart/Rogers stories. And while his style doesn't quite match the late, great Marshal Rogers', artist Don Kramer also hits one out of the park with his work in this issue, particularly with how effectively he's able to hint at the ending's heart-stopping reveal throughout the body of the story without quite giving it away. I realize I've spouted a whole lot of hyperbole in this review, but man, this is a great comic book. Screw the inevitable fill-in issues, screw Countdown even - I want more Batman comics like this out of Paul Dini in the immediate future.

ErinPatricia
06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
SMG as Harley Quinn makes me want to slap babies.

For reals.

Erin
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
For real? Sarah Michelle Gellar as Harley Quinn? I'm with Erin, please no.

Just out of curiosity, who do you guys think would be a good Harley Quinn if they go that route in the film?

The_Nameless
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I am with y'all there. Then again, I wasn't very pleased with their Joker choice, either.

Just out of curiosity, who do you guys think would be a good Harley Quinn if they go that route in the film?
Hmmm.
I don't think I have an answer to that question.
Maybe some unknown name in Hollywood.

Spencer
06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Cameron Diaz or Jenny McCarthy

Matt
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I think Drew Barrymore could make a great Harley

OchrisO
06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
SMG as Harley Quinn makes me want to slap babies.

For reals.

Sometimes babies just need a good slapping anyway.

As for who should play Harley Quinn, only the girl from Gotham Public Works is ever allowed to be Harley Quinn in my book. http://www.gothampublicworks.com/harleyquinn.html

Paul Dini agrees as well. There's a note/autograph from him in her pictures.

Jimmy
06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
The only actress who could pull it off is Sheri Moon of House of a Thousand Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

No Barrymore, no Diaz, no McCarthy and no Gellar.

Matt
06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
pfft Barrymore all the way man. :lol:

Patrick
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
When I think of a woman playing HarleyQuinn, I can't help but picture Daryl Hannah in Blade Runner.

Mordred Deschain
07-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Well, I'm not sure if she'll become the Joker's apprentice/sidekick, but the charcter of Dr. Harley Quinn will be in the movie, from what I hear.

It is still rumour (as far as I know). The rumours are suggesting it may be Sarah Michelle Gellar playing Harley. It may have been confirmed now; I haven't been following the movies news.

By the way, Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite graphic novels. Killing Joke is one of Joker's best stories, even if it got rid of one of my favourite characters.

I have the first printing of The Killing Joke. Sealed and put away in a nice safe place.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Killingjoke.JPG/250px-Killingjoke.JPG

OH SNAP! I think Jamie Pressly (from My Name is Earl) who make the best Harley!
http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/Aeon/News/2007/05/13/images/200705130156247.jpg

Spencer
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I have the first printing of The Killing Joke. Sealed and put away in a nice safe place.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Killingjoke.JPG/250px-Killingjoke.JPG

I do as well, I bought a later printing (orange letters) to read.

Mordred Deschain
07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
The funny thing, I have to try and remember where that safe place is...

Erin
08-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Check it out....there are 18 new pictures released from the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight.

Batman photos (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/16/the-dark-knight-18-new-photos/)

I'm actually really liking how Heath Ledger looks as the Joker.

sarah
08-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Those look really good, erin. thanks for posting. any word if HG will be in the movie? wasn't that just a rumor anyways?

OchrisO
08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I'll reserve full judement until I see the movie, but as of right now, Heath Ledger as the Joker can still suck it.

Erin
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I was waiting for you to come in here and rain on the parade. :P

OchrisO
08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
That's what I do. It's what I'm good at.

Matt
08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
I never understand why they have to act like is face is fucked up. The joker simply had white skin, green hair and was as crazy as a shit house mouse, not thing more. <_<

Patrick
08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Check it out....there are 18 new pictures released from the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight.

Batman photos (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/16/the-dark-knight-18-new-photos/)

I'm actually really liking how Heath Ledger looks as the Joker.

The pictures are gone from the linked site. Damn.

Patrick
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I never understand why they have to act like is face is fucked up. The joker simply had white skin, green hair and was as crazy as a shit house mouse, not thing more. <_<

I thought part of his original story was that his mouth got tweaked out (into a giant grin) by the chemical bath that changed his skin and hair color.

Maybe I'm mistaken though. :unsure:

Matt
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
In the killing joke, the chemical bath did tweek him out but it didn't do anything to his mouth. He had the ability to be a sad clown. :lol:

OchrisO
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Detective Comics #168 (February 1951) revealed that the Joker had once been a criminal known as the Red Hood. In the story, the Red Hood falls into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. He emerges with white skin, green hair, and a bizarre grin.

However:

No recounting of the Joker's origin has been definitive, however, as he has been portrayed as lying so often about his former life that he himself is confused as to what actually happened. As he says in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

Matt
08-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I have a bizarre grin too. :lol:

Patrick
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Detective Comics #168 (February 1951) revealed that the Joker had once been a criminal known as the Red Hood. In the story, the Red Hood falls into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. He emerges with white skin, green hair, and a bizarre grin.

I've read some of those old stories (in later collections), this must be where I got that impression. Thanks for the confirmation!

Spencer
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM

I've read some of those old stories (in later collections), this must be where I got that impression. Thanks for the confirmation!

Read The Killing Joke for more. Best Comic ever. :D

Matt
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Yep, while it isn't considered the official Joker origin story (because he doesn't exactly remember what happened to him)--I still feel like it is as close as we can get.

Read the Killing Joke for the "joke" at the end. I believe the comic itself is the most insight a reader could get into the relationship between The Joker and Batman

Patrick
10-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Read The Killing Joke for more. Best Comic ever. :D

I have read it! :dance:

Spencer
10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
LOL I totally missed that.

You should definitely get it back, or even better, pick up the Alan Moore trade. At this point, that may be cheaper than finding the original issue, and, hey, you get more stories. :lol:

Mordred Deschain
10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

However:

No recounting of the Joker's origin has been definitive, however, as he has been portrayed as lying so often about his former life that he himself is confused as to what actually happened. As he says in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

I have the Killing Joke. And everything I've read about the Joker seems to be what you guys are saying. The chem bath bleached his skin and turned his hair green. I'm not sure that the chem bath itself screwed him up, I thought he just went mad afterwards because of what happened and he just has the ability to have that big ass smile.

Rjeso
10-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Yep, while it isn't considered the official Joker origin story (because he doesn't exactly remember what happened to him)--I still feel like it is as close as we can get.

Read the Killing Joke for the "joke" at the end. I believe the comic itself is the most insight a reader could get into the relationship between The Joker and Batman

I love that part. I also love the very last page with the playing card. Awesome.

Jimmy
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Has anyone else HEARD Ledger speak as the Joker yet?

He sounds nuts.

YouTube - REAL THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER

Rjeso
10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
I have heard a bit, but not a lot. I think you've heard a lot more than me.

Mordred Deschain
10-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Is there any more pics from the movie? Last ones I saw he looks just like the Crow.

Jimmy
10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Here's a new Ledger Joker pic.

http://www.evilkumquat.com/images/michael_jackson_joker.jpg

Rjeso
10-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Har har, dear. :P

Jimmy
10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Couldn't help myself.

Here's some more, just scroll down.

http://dailystab.com/blog/uncategorized/new-batman-pics/

Spencer
10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
The series Batman Confidential is doing a "Joker Origin" story arc right now. It sucketh.

Mordred Deschain
10-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't want to sound bad, but I LOVED Batman Begins! It finally gave batman movies a positive look! HOwever, those pics make it look like they are gona take a step backward! Serious, the last pic is all make-up! Are they even going to try to follow the story?

Jimmy
10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
They didn't follow the "story" in Begins, they tweaked it, and that's what they're doing here. I'm a huge Batman fan, and I was cool with BB, so I believe I'll have no problems with Dark Knight.

OchrisO
10-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Have I mentioned lately how skeptical I am?

:\ <----This is my skeptical face.

Mordred Deschain
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
They didn't follow the "story" in Begins, they tweaked it, and that's what they're doing here. I'm a huge Batman fan, and I was cool with BB, so I believe I'll have no problems with Dark Knight.

Ya, but, com on, it's the JOKER! And I know they tweaked it, but come on, don't screw with the joker!:)

cozener
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
First of all...Joker...yes...best comic book character ever.

The fact that Heath Ledger is playing The Joker makes me want to sit in a corner and cry. You never know. When I heard that Michael Keaton was going to play Batman I was furious. I like Keaton but I thought of him as a comedic actor. But as it turns out he's my favorite Batman so far.

I would have gone for Christian Slater as The Joker and I don't think I much like the look they've chosen. I prefer the traditional Joker. But I'm betting I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jimmy
10-30-2007, 06:53 AM

Ya, but, com on, it's the JOKER! And I know they tweaked it, but come on, don't screw with the joker!:)

I have high hopes, and I've not been let down yet.

Matt
10-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Your sig pic does make me worry though :(

I'm not real high on that rendition of him

Jimmy
10-30-2007, 07:28 AM
It's more real world than falling into a vat of chemicals though. That's what they're shooting for, I think.

Here's what Michael Caine had to say on the subject.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/02/michael-caine-calls-ledgers-acting-scariest-ive-ever-seen/

Matt
10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Hmmm...that's good to hear at least. I respect that guy. :D

Jimmy
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Caine isn't big on tooting the horns of the movies he's in, or of the people he works with. He's big on just being paid to do the work and then go home. So it really says a lot to me that he'd compliment Ledger like that.

Mordred Deschain
10-30-2007, 07:39 AM
I can understand what their aiming for, and I have high hopes for this movie. Begins was awesome and I think blew away ALL the other batman movies (except the Adam West Batman :lol:). I've never been a Ledger fan, so I might be being bias because of other actors they could have picked.

Matt
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
I just hope they play true to the Joker character.

He's smart and really funny. That is the whole deal. They can't make it campy but they also can't make it so dark and ugly that the essential "thing" that the Joker is doesn't come across.

Patrick
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm looking forward to Ledger's performance. I think he will do well.

Ari_Racing
10-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I loved Batman Begins! Excellent adaptation.

I read the Killing joke (Here it's called La Broma Asesina) and loved it, but the comic I loved the most is The long halloween.

I also liked The Cult (illustrated by Bernie Wrightson) and Arkaham Asylum (illustrated by Dave McKean).

Matt
10-31-2007, 04:02 PM
I think the Joker's whole thing about "one bad day" in The Killing Joke was very cool.

About how Batman was just like him, crazy as a shit house mouse for dressing up like a bat and beating people up. :lol:

How he wanted to know what it was that did that to him.

I thought Arkaham Asylum one was great too. I need to get those again :orely:

cozener
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I've got both of those...mind blowing stuff. In fact, I used to be somewhat obsessed with the Joker. He's a compelling character.

Patrick
10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Good point, Arkham Asylum is excellent. I just came across my copy the other night while looking for some stuff to discuss with Blake (see his thread about that). I'll need to re-read Arkham Asylum most definitely - it's been years...

Jimmy
11-01-2007, 04:53 AM
If you're in the mood for a compelling Arkham story with some good Joker moments, check out "Arkham Asylum : Living Hell." It came out a few years back and it tells the story of a white collar criminal who pleads insanity after embezzling from his company and is sent to a place not befitting a businessman. A great read.

Ari_Racing
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Gotta take note on that :)

Thanks!

Patrick
11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Jimmy. I'll look for it.

Jimmy
11-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Not a problem gentlepeoples.

Storyslinger
11-02-2007, 05:07 AM
If you're in the mood for a compelling Arkham story with some good Joker moments, check out "Arkham Asylum : Living Hell." It came out a few years back and it tells the story of a white collar criminal who pleads insanity after embezzling from his company and is sent to a place not befitting a businessman. A great read.

Sounds good, I'll check it out

Jimmy
11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.rorysdeathkiss.com

That's a Viral site made by "The Joker" asking people to do stuff, and promising a reward of some kind.

This clinches it in my mind that they'll be making The Joker into more of a Tyler Durden/ICP Juggalo type figure. Completely insanely evil, but a creator of widespread anarchy.

Sounds great to me. :excited:

alinda
11-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Why dosent that surprize me Jimmy......:orely:

fernandito
11-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Dr. Mr. Ledger,

Please forgive me for doubting you in the earlier phases of the production of this movie, I am now convinced that you will be flawless in your interpretation of the joker.

-FP

:)

Matt
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
eh

**reserves judgment*

Jimmy
11-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Check out this brand new Neal Adam's cover to All Star Batman & Robin #8.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarbatman/Adams_ASBR8.jpg

Trippy. :thumbsup:

Patrick
11-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Very cool. :thumbsup:

Mordred Deschain
11-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I just found this going thru boxes. It's my Joker Card.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/thejoker.jpg

And the back says:

The Joker Card

The Joker Card is a valuable asset, because jokers are Wild!
It's good for everything. Unlimited spending! Free Life, Home,
Care and Travel insurance! In fact, whatever you buy, wherever
you buy it, use The Joker Card. The joke is on them -- They have
to accept it. Or else!
Warning: Please pay your bill on time, or The Joker may target you
for one of his treachereous practical jokes.

BlakeMP
11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Check out this brand new Neal Adam's cover to All Star Batman & Robin #8.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarbatman/Adams_ASBR8.jpg

Trippy. :thumbsup:

I like it. :)

Unfortunately, it's going on All Star Batman, which means it will never, never be in my collection... :angry:

Jimmy
11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Why don't you like All Star, BlakeMP?

BlakeMP
11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Simply put: Miller has lost his freaking mind. The writing is terrible -- everyone is out-of-character, the dialogue is ridiculous, Superman and Wonder Woman seem to have fallen out of a bad episode of Moonlighting, the women have all been plucked from assorted dominatrix fantasies and the plot -- at least up to issue 5, which is where I quit -- had moved absolutely nowhere. Sure, Jim Lee's art is pretty, but I read comics for the stories. There is no artwork good enough to keep me buying a comic book if I hate the writing.

Jimmy
11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
But that's how he wrote Sin City and people liked that.

I agree with you completely on this. I'm kind of tired of seeing Marvel and DC cart blanche to writers who did great work back in the day to do whatever they want. AS Batman is a perfect example of this, as well as Claremont's Exiles book. Two great concepts that've been flushed down the toilet.

I'm also tired of the companies giving work to untried comics writers who've published well-receivied novels. This is why we have the recent Batman Confidential retelling of Joker's origin and everything Brad Meltzer has put out for DC.

Utter dreck.

BlakeMP
11-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, but Sin City was his OWN characters, not a complete bastardization of characters who have been in existence for nearly 70 years. There's a big difference there.

And I totally disagree with you on Brad Meltzer--I've loved all of his work at DC. Hell, I started reading his novels BECAUSE I loved his DC work.

Jimmy
11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I was being sarcastic about the Sin City stuff.

I wouldn't trust Meltzer to write his own name without raping himself. He started the ruination of the DCU, imo.

BlakeMP
11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I think the DCU is in better shape than it's been in years. Marvel, on the other hand, I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

But we're getting off the subject.

Jimmy
11-25-2007, 04:44 PM
The Joker doesn't like Brad Meltzer because he retconed Sue into being raped, got Batman brainwashed and then meandered along at no pace for his JLA run.

BlakeMP
11-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, THAT's getting back on subject... :P

Mister E
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
So I picked up All-Star Batman #8 today. Don't get me wrong, I love this book, but it has more WTF moments per square...page (go with it) than any other book out there. And yes, that includes the existentialistic mindf*ck that is Madman Atomic Comics!

Hopefully the Absolute Edition will have deleted scenes like what transpired BEFORE this issue between the hot shot Gotham City attorney and the Joker. Probably something like this:

"Hey white-skinned, green-haired man, whose name I didn't catch, but went home with anyway, what's the deal with that nazi-titted bull dyke in your living room? Oh, she's your housekeeper. Silly me."

And then, after he cops to attempting to poison a city to the hot shot Gotham City attorney, "Oo, baby! Let me vertically snuggle against you. You're a keeper. Are you Jewish? My mother would DIE, if you were Jewish."

Spencer
11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
:lol:

I love the look of Jim Lee's Joker, and I hope the explanation we get, (IF we get one), for the Dragon tat isn't some Thomas Harris ripoff.

cozener
01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
I was watching the new Batman cartoon on Saturday. Dude...what the fuck have they done to the Joker? He looks like some kind of freaked out reggae king.

Spencer
01-11-2008, 07:36 AM
That's Batman Beyond, or something equally crazy.

Spencer
01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Saw The Dark Knight prologue. Great stuff.

Jimmy
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
That's Batman Beyond, or something equally crazy.

No, Batman Beyond's set in the future and is quite good in terms of characterization.

The Batman cartoon he's talking about is new and tragically dreadful.

Here's some of the redesigns for the show.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3086/thebatmanvillainszy5.jpg

From left to right are: The Riddler, Bane, Poison Ivy, a Riddleman, Black Mask, Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze, Temblor, Spellbinder, Firefly, Ragdoll, Killer Croc, Joker, Harley Quinn, Penguin, the Kabuki Twins, and Cluemaster.

Spencer
01-13-2008, 06:00 AM
ewwwwwwww yucky. I did see the Batman Beyond "Return of the Joker" movie, and loved that.

Spencer
01-13-2008, 06:00 AM
http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/nmedia/18/63/97/89/18800971.jpg

Matt
01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Jeeze!! I'm sorry, that is just horrible!! :(

Spencer
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I like the general look, but that makeup, yuk. I LOVED the prequel though, great sequence, very clever, well written, and well acted.

Jimmy
01-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Jeeze!! I'm sorry, that is just horrible!! :(

I think it's perfect. What's more believable a psychotic wearing clown make up or a psychotic with bleached skin?

Matt
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
If we're talking about the Joker, bleached skin all the way man. :lol:

Not to mention, the Joker was a dapper killer, not greasy and grungy.

cozener
01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
If we're talking about the Joker, bleached skin all the way man. :lol:

Not to mention, the Joker was a dapper killer, not greasy and grungy.

Agreed. I don't like the turn this Joker has taken. He's supposed to have bleached skin. He's always had bleached skin and green hair. I like his suits, gloves, and spats. I like his cane with the dagger in it and his lappel flowers with deadly chemicals in them.

Hey, the Joker is fucking nuts but he takes pride in his appearance just like he takes pride in how he structures his crimes to be jokes within themselves.

Ledger's Joker looks like he takes himself way to seriously for me to take him seriously.

But I will reserve judgement until I see the flick.

childeluke
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
So when they announced heath ledger was going to play the joker, I knew i wanted to do a monologue(my interpretation of the joke, I'm an actor). Anyway. set it as Jack's first mental commitment. Jack does the entire monologue talking to some doctors behind a one way mirror(starts off with the aristocrats joke). Anyway, the idea i had of joker when i was writing was one of self mutilation. Especially an "extended" smile, using scars. And I'll be damned if they didn't steal my idea.....The Joker is one of the most complex and satisfying characters ever to be created, and no matter how many times he is done he will always be different. I think heath ledger will kick some ass, and perform as a force to be reckoned with.

ATG
01-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Greatest comic book character ever?http://i19.tinypic.com/42s1u34.gif

No.

Spencer
01-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Greatest comic book character ever?http://i19.tinypic.com/42s1u34.gif

No.

Who would be your vote then? Start a thread and get some discussion going! :D

Mordred Deschain
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Matt, finally people making sense. the Joker should be the Joker.

Spencer
01-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I totally understand that, and I do agree, but at the same time I'm hoping that the amazing things I've heard about Ledger's performance are true.

Spencer
07-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Joker's dozen: the best moments of Batman's nemesis
The real star of The Dark Knight is in no doubt: Heath Ledger. But what of the Joker's previous incarnations? Here are the 12 best to date
July 25, 2008 11:45 AM

What could be darker than The Dark Knight? A clown who's always laughing, mocking the Bat's need for a secret identity with his brazen always-on persona - no hiding in the shadows for him.

From the Batman's beginnings in the 40s to Christopher Nolan's latest all-conquering blockbuster, the Joker's been by his side - a technicolour yang to Batman's dark yin, his rictus smile permanently beaming up while Batman's grim chin pointed ever-downwards. He's survived the pulp beginnings, the daft 50s when the Comics Code Authority stepped in to sanitise everything, the goofy psychedelic madness of the 60s TV show, the return to unhinged mass murderer in the 70s, killing Robin, shooting Batgirl and Jack Nicholson's hammy turn in Tim Burton's film.

Now of course, we've got the late Heath Ledger's performance to add to this long list of incarnations. By choosing more obscure villains from the DC rogue's gallery like Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul, Batman Begins gave Christian Bale much more room to establish himself as Batman than Michael Keaton ever did - there wasn't really much left for him after Jack Nicholson had chewed his way through the entire set. By waiting until the end of Batman Begins to introduce the idea of the Joker, it felt like our new Darker Knight was ready to take on his arch nemesis once more.

Here's a quick guide to remind you of some of the Joker's greatest hits. Will Heath Ledger's "why so serious?" performance top them all?

The Killing Joke (1988)
Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's definitive reworking of the Joker placed him at the heart of the Batman universe, explicitly drawing out their weird symbiotic "you need me as much as I need you" relationship.

The Dark Knight Returns (1986)
Frank Miller's aging Joker watches Batman coming out of retirement and decides it's time to hit the comeback trail as only he can - by appearing as a guest on a talk show, and killing the audience.

Batman issue 1 (1940)
A year after first appearing in Detective Comics, Batman got his own comic - and the Monarch of Menace was there right at the start with him.

A Death In The Family (1988)
Perhaps the only thing crueller than the Clown Prince of Crime's brutal crowbar slaying of the second Robin, Jason Todd, was the fact that the comic's audience voted in a phone poll in favour of his death.

The Joker's Five Way Revenge (1973)
After disappearing from Gotham (and comics) for a few years, the Joker returned to take revenge on his ex-henchmen, and to restablish himself as Batman's greatest menace.

Mad Love (1994)
Former Arkham Asylum psychiatrist Dr Harleen Quinzel falls for the Joker, and transforms into Harley Quinn, the closest thing he's ever had to a supervillain girlfriend. Being the Joker's squeeze isn't exactly a recipe for living happily ever after though.

The Laughing Fish (1978)
In a comic plot later used in the animated series, the Joker invents a new version of his laughing serum that leaves Gotham's fish with his perma-grin on their faces -- and then tries to sue for copyright infringement.

Batman (1966)
To stand any chance of standing out amongst the camp crusaders, you had to pull off something pretty special. Cesar Romero managed it, slapping on the Joker's white face paint over his moustache and cackling his way through 20 biff, bang pow capers.

Batman (1989)
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" More Jack-er than Joker ultimately, Jack Nicholson pulled off the perfect crime - stealing the show with his OTT hamming.

Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
His on screen acting career might have started and ended with Luke Skywalker, but Mark Hamill's voiceover work as the Joker in the Batman cartoons brought the Harlequin of Hate to a new generation.

Batman: Dead End (2003)
It may only be eight minutes long, but this online fan favourite managed to distill the essence of the whole cape v clown showdown (before an Alien v Predator v Batman fight upstages the Joker).

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth (1989)
Grant Morrison and Dave McKean put the graphic into graphic novel with this delirious "lunatics take over the asylum" outing.

Spencer
07-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Joker's dozen: the best moments of Batman's nemesis
The real star of The Dark Knight is in no doubt: Heath Ledger. But what of the Joker's previous incarnations? Here are the 12 best to date
July 25, 2008 11:45 AM

What could be darker than The Dark Knight? A clown who's always laughing, mocking the Bat's need for a secret identity with his brazen always-on persona - no hiding in the shadows for him.

From the Batman's beginnings in the 40s to Christopher Nolan's latest all-conquering blockbuster, the Joker's been by his side - a technicolour yang to Batman's dark yin, his rictus smile permanently beaming up while Batman's grim chin pointed ever-downwards. He's survived the pulp beginnings, the daft 50s when the Comics Code Authority stepped in to sanitise everything, the goofy psychedelic madness of the 60s TV show, the return to unhinged mass murderer in the 70s, killing Robin, shooting Batgirl and Jack Nicholson's hammy turn in Tim Burton's film.

Now of course, we've got the late Heath Ledger's performance to add to this long list of incarnations. By choosing more obscure villains from the DC rogue's gallery like Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul, Batman Begins gave Christian Bale much more room to establish himself as Batman than Michael Keaton ever did - there wasn't really much left for him after Jack Nicholson had chewed his way through the entire set. By waiting until the end of Batman Begins to introduce the idea of the Joker, it felt like our new Darker Knight was ready to take on his arch nemesis once more.

Here's a quick guide to remind you of some of the Joker's greatest hits. Will Heath Ledger's "why so serious?" performance top them all?

The Killing Joke (1988)
Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's definitive reworking of the Joker placed him at the heart of the Batman universe, explicitly drawing out their weird symbiotic "you need me as much as I need you" relationship.

The Dark Knight Returns (1986)
Frank Miller's aging Joker watches Batman coming out of retirement and decides it's time to hit the comeback trail as only he can - by appearing as a guest on a talk show, and killing the audience.

Batman issue 1 (1940)
A year after first appearing in Detective Comics, Batman got his own comic - and the Monarch of Menace was there right at the start with him.

A Death In The Family (1988)
Perhaps the only thing crueller than the Clown Prince of Crime's brutal crowbar slaying of the second Robin, Jason Todd, was the fact that the comic's audience voted in a phone poll in favour of his death.

The Joker's Five Way Revenge (1973)
After disappearing from Gotham (and comics) for a few years, the Joker returned to take revenge on his ex-henchmen, and to restablish himself as Batman's greatest menace.

Mad Love (1994)
Former Arkham Asylum psychiatrist Dr Harleen Quinzel falls for the Joker, and transforms into Harley Quinn, the closest thing he's ever had to a supervillain girlfriend. Being the Joker's squeeze isn't exactly a recipe for living happily ever after though.

The Laughing Fish (1978)
In a comic plot later used in the animated series, the Joker invents a new version of his laughing serum that leaves Gotham's fish with his perma-grin on their faces -- and then tries to sue for copyright infringement.

Batman (1966)
To stand any chance of standing out amongst the camp crusaders, you had to pull off something pretty special. Cesar Romero managed it, slapping on the Joker's white face paint over his moustache and cackling his way through 20 biff, bang pow capers.

Batman (1989)
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" More Jack-er than Joker ultimately, Jack Nicholson pulled off the perfect crime - stealing the show with his OTT hamming.

Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
His on screen acting career might have started and ended with Luke Skywalker, but Mark Hamill's voiceover work as the Joker in the Batman cartoons brought the Harlequin of Hate to a new generation.

Batman: Dead End (2003)
It may only be eight minutes long, but this online fan favourite managed to distill the essence of the whole cape v clown showdown (before an Alien v Predator v Batman fight upstages the Joker).

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth (1989)
Grant Morrison and Dave McKean put the graphic into graphic novel with this delirious "lunatics take over the asylum" outing.

fernandito
07-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm delighted to see - you've made a thread about me!

(licks lips)

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll stop you JOker...er..Feve!

I have the killing Joke, Death in The Family, and the Dark Knight Returns

flaggwalkstheline
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
is it just me or when did ledgers voice in the dark knight remind anyone else of andy dick?

Norman Osbourne: the green goblin is a better villain than the joker!
(runs to hide in bunker as war is started)

nt07077
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I need some recomendations on some Joker titles. What would you guys recomend to a noob looking for some gritty, crazy as batshit, don't give a fuck attitude Joker stories. I know "the Killing Joke" and possibly "Arkham Asylum" are where I'm going to start but are there other titles as well?
Basically anything that has him acting like his portrayl in "Dark Knight".
Thanks for any advice.

fernandito
04-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Based on what you typed up there, you are definitely looking for the new Joker GC that was released just last year -

Amazon.com: The Joker: Brian Azzarello, Lee Bermejo: Books

Do yourself a favor and pick this one up ASAP, you can thank me later :)

nt07077
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Damn, was at the bookstore today and seen it but I decided to get the "The Killing Joke". Will definetly buy it in the future, much thanks.

Seymour_Glass
04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
The Killing Joke is classic. Haven't read the Azzarello yet. Is it just me, or does he work with some great artists?