PDA

View Full Version : So, i gotta learn all 52 of the Mark's Gospel stories...

Mark
05-12-2008, 07:54 AM
For my Religious Education exam on wednesday, any ideas how i can do this efficiently?

MonteGss
05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Read, read, read, read, read, read and read some more.
I'm sure there are other ways but that seems to be the most simple plan. :D

Letti
05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Read, read, read, read, read, read and read some more.
I'm sure there are other ways but that seems to be the most simple plan. :D

I was planning to write the same. :D

mia/susannah
05-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I have to third Montes post.

Daghain
05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Does the Bible have Cliff Notes? :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I suggest, of course: read, read, read too. But, is there anyone who can study it with you and quiz you after each reading? Maybe it will help you remember things a little better.

If no one can quiz you, check this out: http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/religion/new_testament/mark.html

(shrugs)...Good Luck

Mark
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
To be honest, i should have started earlier... These are my GCSE's, and, anyone who is british will know that these choose what i can and can't do for the rest of my life, so, yeah, they're important...

ZoNeSeeK
05-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Just remember - its not a real subject anyway. :)

MrsSmeej
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I usually found that I retained knowledge better if I made notes during the reading. Just the act of writing things down seemed to help it stick better. If you're a fast reader, a quick re-read right before the test also helps. Good luck

Jimmy
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Was this really necessary? The thread is about Mark having to study, not what you think of the bible.

Mark, the best thing you can do is what everyone else said. Just keeping reading.

obscurejude
05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I took a few classes on Mark when I was in college. The easiest way to deal with the synoptic problem (similarities and variations between Mathew, Mark, and Luke) is to have working outlines for each while remembering the intended audiences respectively.

In the case of Mark, it was clearly written to Gentiles (non-Jews) and doesn't waste anytime presenting Jesus in action (as opposed so much emphasis in Mathew and Luke on Jesus' fulfillment of prophecy). Mark's Jesus is a man of miracles, and is very fast paced (the word "immediately" is used over 75 times in Mark's short 16 chapters). While this can seem overwhelming, if you have a working outline, its a lot easier to place each action within its context and thus easier to remember.

Hope this helps. You were probably given an outline for class. Pay attention to the geographical divisions (travels to northern Israel/gentile territory, travels to Judah/Jerusalem, and events in Jerusalem). If you do this, I promise Mark will become more distinct in your mind and it will become easier and easier to remember a miracle, which chapter its located in, and its significance to the narrative as a whole.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Ka-mai
05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Sparknotes has all the books of the Bible.l

So, this is a torturous assignment, who gave it to you? Be sure to stab them in the eye next time you see them.

ZoNeSeeK
05-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Was this really necessary? The thread is about Mark having to study, not what you think of the bible.

Yes. 'THIS' was really necessary. In fact, just as necessary as you obviously think your incredibly patronising commentary is.

Mark
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Sparknotes has all the books of the Bible.l

So, this is a torturous assignment, who gave it to you? Be sure to stab them in the eye next time you see them.

Well, i had all of last year to learn them (that's school year) then i started a new one and moved onto contemporary issues, so it's all gone from my mind, from all your help, what i plan to do for the rest of the night is to re-write them all in my own words, and read the meanings (we have a booklet with the stories + meanings), hopefully i'll be able to get them done for tomorrow, if all goes well, i should hopefully get 30/40. I should do well on my contemporary issues exam, 'cause it's not that hard, and my coursework, i've been told, is immense.

Jimmy
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Yes. 'THIS' was really necessary. In fact, just as necessary as you obviously think your incredibly patronising commentary is.

Because your original statement wasn't patronising at all. Because you're one of the people in charge here, you might want to show a little more respect to the other members' beliefs. Especially when the thread you're posting in has nothing to do with your post, and you're only seeking to selfishly placate some anti-Religion bug up your ass instead of possibly being of real help to the original poster considering his request, and the importance of his assignment.

I'm taking my own advice about making off-topic posts and will not post further in this thread unless my posts are on-topic. Perhaps you should grow the hell up and do the same.

Mark
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Jimmy, no offense to you, but, Mr Seek has a point, Religious education IS a useless subject. Now, i'm not saying Religion is, just the study of it is, to Seek and I, at least. Now, back on topic, i'm revising now, it's so damn boring.

ZoNeSeeK
05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I've sent a private message to Jimmy regarding this.

Mark: Sorry about the tangent off topic :) Just curious: what type of school do you go to in the UK?

Aesculapius
05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Jimmy, no offense to you, but, Mr Seek has a point, Religious education IS a useless subject. Now, i'm not saying Religion is, just the study of it is, to Seek and I, at least. Now, back on topic, i'm revising now, it's so damn boring.

YouTube - Robert Anton Wilson - Language, Reason & Reality

Mark
05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
It's a church of england school Seek, i did the exam today, i only missed out two questions 8)

Ka-mai
05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Good for you, Mark. I probably would have cried like a baby and run out of the room. :P

Nerak
05-15-2008, 05:16 AM
That's awsome, Mark! I would have flunked and sat there shooting sparks out of my eyes at the teacher! :lol:

Brice
05-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Congratulations Mark!

Mark
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys, got another one on Monday, but that's contemporary issues, so shouldn't be too hard.