"If you love me then love me."

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Cool thread Letti...
I've got a ton but here's my first:

"NOW COMES ROLAND TO THE DARK TOWER!"

Letti
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
"He looked at Roland and sent a thought, as clearly as he could: Roland, help us.
And one came back, filling his mind with cold comfort (ah, but comfort served cold was better than no comfort at all): If I can."

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
"Say you're sorry for the way you were driving, you careless motherfucker! Do it now! Do it now!"

Letti
05-16-2007, 09:27 AM
"Say you're sorry for the way you were driving, you careless motherfucker! Do it now! Do it now!"

:lol:

Letti
05-16-2007, 09:30 AM
"You're not afraid of the great world, Eddie, but of the small one inside yourself."

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
"I kill with my heart motherfucker."

:)

Letti
05-16-2007, 09:46 AM
"We are going to go, Eddie. We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt. And in the end we will stand."

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:50 AM
"Kill if you will, but command me nothing!"

OchrisO
05-16-2007, 09:55 AM
"No one ever does live happily ever after, but we leave the children to find that out for themselves."

Jean
05-16-2007, 10:22 AM
"What if he is above Ka?" - Father Callahan to Walter about Roland

Matt
05-16-2007, 10:25 AM
"time is a face on the water' -Roland

and

something about gunfights, how they are over so quick. I will have to look it up. -also Roland

Letti
05-16-2007, 10:34 AM
"No one ever does live happily ever after, but we leave the children to find that out for themselves."

Who said it?

fernandito
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
"..he led them a feverish parade across the street...." :cool:

Letti
05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
"..he led them a feverish parade across the street...." :cool:

What's where your nick name comes from?? :blink:

fernandito
05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes ma'm. The Gunslinger, page 81 (revised edition;paperback) :)

Letti
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM

At last at last I know it. *dances around*

fernandito
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM

I know, the same things happens to me too. I look at people's screen name and I break my head trying to figure out where it's from.

Letti
05-16-2007, 10:53 AM

I know, the same things happens to me too. I look at people's screen name and I break my head trying to figure out where it's from.

:grouphug:

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
**is thankful that MonteGss is not from the books so feverishparade doesn't break his head**

"He darkles. He tincts. He is in all times."

fernandito
05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
**is thankful that MonteGss is not from the books so feverishparade doesn't break his head**

:lol: Everytime I see your sn I think of the Monte Carlo's. Is that where it's from?

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Nope.
It's a secret combination of words/letters that I can't divulge. Sorry. :P

OchrisO
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Who said it?

Roland in Wolves of the Calla.

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
"I don't like people. They fuck me up."

ManOfWesternesse
05-17-2007, 06:46 AM
"Who sent you west, maggot?" - Roland to Jonas.

“I have forgotten the face of my father, whose guns I hope someday to bear.” - Cuthbert Allgood.

Matt
05-17-2007, 06:47 AM
That second one is gold.

Man, it was really the little moments in this series that made what it was I think.

fernandito
05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
"You need killing."

Roland to the man in black. :D

Letti
05-17-2007, 01:05 PM

I don't really see why people like and preger this quote so much but I know it's quite popular.

MonteGss
05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
It's funny....I think. :)

OchrisO
05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
It is popular because people do fuck other people up quite a lot, and it has made a great deal of people in the world misanthropic.

ManOfWesternesse
05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
"If ka will say so, let it be so...." - always liked this one.

MonteGss
05-18-2007, 08:13 PM
"I've been known to say some nasty things."

Telynn
05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I can't remember the whole quote, but the one that ends up "Shoot me Roland, before I breed." (The one about Eddie putting booties on a fucked up weasle.)

fernandito
05-19-2007, 06:21 AM
You got it, Tel.

Spencer
05-19-2007, 07:15 AM
The whole conversation between Roland and Eddie at the end of The Drawing of the Three.

Matt
05-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I would throw in every conversation between the two of them in that book :wub:

Those two made me love reading all over again.

B Rag
05-19-2007, 06:18 PM
"I told her about that laugh!" - The Tick Tock Man.

Erin
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh man, I love Roland's line about mayo looking too much like cum for him to eat it. :lol:

Telynn
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Oh man, I love Roland's line about mayo looking too much like cum for him to eat it. :lol:

I know for a fact that I laughed out loud at that one, because my husband (who hasn't read any of the DT books) asked me what was so funny. I just told him that I couldn't really explain. 8)

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
You should of. Maybe it would have gotten you both all sexed up. Perhaps give Felicia a baby sister!

Telynn
05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Another Felicia! :ninja:

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Driving!

She-Oy
05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
"Perhaps you saw what place our universe plays in the scheme of things - as no more than an atom in a blade of grass. Could it be that everything we can perceive, from the microscopic virus to the distant Horsehead Nebula, is contained in one blade of grass that may have existed for only a single season in an alien time-flow?"

Matt
05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Its that kind of stuff right there that drew me to the books and has also, to a certain extent, made me question the very fabric of reality.

She-Oy
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Its that kind of stuff right there that drew me to the books and has also, to a certain extent, made me question the very fabric of reality.

Yep, that statement rests pretty heavy in my entire belief system. It's very Saganesque if you ask me.

VolsToTheWall
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
There's a lot of favorite quotes for me, but one in particular, that always makes me laugh on my re-reads is:

Roland: "Who is this man Zen Buddhist? Is he wise like me?"

ZoNeSeeK
05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
From DT7:

"All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead. These are the rooms of ruin where the spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one."

Telynn
05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Isn't there a quote similar to that in the Wastelands, when Eddie listens at the entrance thing where the robots are?

Ruki
05-24-2007, 07:51 PM
i'm not positive i've got the wording just right, it's so hard to go through a couple books looking for one little line, but it goes something like this...

"you can rank me to the dogs and back but i'll never lose the hard-on i use to fuck your mother"

Chassit
05-25-2007, 06:14 AM
"I looked into It's deadlights and I wanted to be there"

Letti
05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
There's a lot of favorite quotes for me, but one in particular, that always makes me laugh on my re-reads is:

Yeah. Here is the proof that Roland does have a good sense of humour. :lol:

Daghain
05-25-2007, 01:04 PM
"I told her about that laugh!" - The Tick Tock Man.
That one made me laugh out loud - hilarious!

B Rag
05-27-2007, 12:06 PM
:P
Here's another great Tick Tock quote, although its not really a funny one.

"Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good."

Fly
05-27-2007, 04:17 PM
"Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?"

B Rag
05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
That's a good one, who was it?

Fly
05-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I think you would have to say "the narrator". It isn't spoken by any of the characters.

VolsToTheWall
05-30-2007, 12:18 AM
One more I like:
"Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve."

Another one that always cracks me up on my re-reads, is Eddie's Nozz-A-La commercial. :D
"When I'm travelling through the Land of Oz in my new Takuro Spirit, I drink Nozz-A-La! It fills me up but never fills me out! It makes me happy to be a man! It makes me know God! It gives me the outlook of an angel and the balls of a tiger! When I drink Nozz-A-La, I say 'Gosh! Ain't I glad to be alive!'"

Letti
05-30-2007, 03:55 AM
One more I like:
"When I'm travelling through the Land of Oz in my new Takuro Spirit, I drink Nozz-A-La! It fills me up but never fills me out! It makes me happy to be a man! It makes me know God! It gives me the outlook of an angel and the balls of a tiger! When I drink Nozz-A-La, I say 'Gosh! Ain't I glad to be alive!'"

Yeah, this one rooocks. :lol: Eddie is an artist. :D

VolsToTheWall
05-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't neglect this one either.

"And now, all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existence was that broken hearts mended."

VolsToTheWall
05-31-2007, 10:20 PM
And this one:

"Roland sings, Roland dances, and to top it all off," he said, "Roland stage-dives like Joey Ramone."

Cuthbert Allbad
06-01-2007, 05:59 AM
From Dark Tower VII:

1) Callahan: "may you find your tower, roland, and breach it, and may you climb to the top."

2) Not a quote but a thought from Jake regarding things Roland told hiim......"you needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisified, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served."

This was followed by the line "Jake Chambers surveryed the Dixie Pig with a satisfied mind."

3) Not a quote but a line about Oy....."the body was far smaller then the heart it held."

B Rag
06-01-2007, 11:09 AM

Yeah. Here is the proof that Roland does have a good sense of humour. :lol:

I always thought he was being serious then. :orely:

Jean
06-01-2007, 11:12 AM
it is a moot point. I, like Letti, always thought he was joking. By the way, I wish someone would make a thread dedicated to Roland's allegedly absent sense of humor. Some unexpected discoveries could be made.

Telynn
06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
He said it as a joke, but for the main reason of catching Eddie off guard. Even his joking had ulterior motives.

fernandito
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't remember the exact wording, but I like that line in DT VII when

Roland realizes his loop-fate, and he hears Cort's voice saying : "You are the one that never changes....you'll wear out a thousand boots on your march to hell."

Jean
06-01-2007, 11:35 AM
He said it as a joke, but for the main reason of catching Eddie off guard. Even his joking had ulterior motives.
point well taken

B Rag
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Hmm... maybe someone could post the whole scene? That way I could re-read it in proper context. I only remember the scene a little bit, so I can't be too sure.

Jean
06-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmm... maybe someone could post the whole scene? That way I could re-read it in proper context. I only remember the scene a little bit, so I can't be too sure.

The Waste Lands (on their way to River Crossing: )

"Do you think they're dangerous?" Susannah asked. They were approaching a large, ramshackle building that might once have been a storage shed or an abandoned country market, and she eyed it uneasily, her hand dropping to the butt of the gun she wore on her chest.
"Will a strange dog bite?" the gunslinger countered.
"What's that mean?" Eddie asked. "I hate it when you start up with your Zen
Buddhist shit, Roland."
"It means I don't know," Roland said. "Who is this man Zen Bud*dhist? Is he wise like me?"
Eddie looked at Roland for a long, long time before deciding the gunslinger was making one of his rare jokes. "Ah, get outta here," he said. He saw one corner of Roland's mouth twitch before he turned away.

B Rag
06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Ah, I suppose you're right.

Bethany
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Not a quote but I love "tooter fish". It has crept in to not only my vocabulary but my husband's as well.

Cuthbert Allbad
06-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Not a quote but I love "tooter fish". It has crept in to not only my vocabulary but my husband's as well.

LOL!!! My children no longer are allowed to ask for sandwiches. Popkins ONLY!!! Funny how that DK speech creeps into our lives. I've been running around for months calling everyone "Sai" and saying "I cry your pardon" among others.

Letti
06-02-2007, 08:35 AM
it is a moot point. I, like Letti, always thought he was joking. By the way, I wish someone would make a thread dedicated to Roland's allegedly absent sense of humor. Some unexpected discoveries could be made.

What a good idea, Jean.

Jean
06-09-2007, 11:17 AM
it is not really my favorite quote, but when I saw this picture, I couldn't help posting it:

time is a face on the water

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Misc/bear.gif

Letti
06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
it is not really my favorite quote, but when I saw this picture, I couldn't help posting it:

time is a face on the water

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Misc/bear.gif

The more I meet this sentence the more I love it.

That pic rocks.

MonteGss
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
"I'll take that word from an old man who's lost most of his sense," she said, "but I won't take it from you."

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 04:41 PM
"Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?"

I actually memorized this one.

Letti
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
One of my favourite parts:

He looked at Roland and sent a thought, as clearly as he could: Roland, help us.
And one came back, filling his mind with cold comfort (ah, but comfort served cold was better than no comfort at all): If I can.

Darkthoughts
07-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Wizard and Glass - Shoes In The Road:

"But I have to tell you guys," Eddie said, "that its only gonna take about one more wonderful thing to send me around to the dark side of the Psycho Moon."

I love that because it alludes to the Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz myth.

Chassit
07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
That one is awesome, I have a copy of DSOM synchronized with Wizard of Oz and while the band swears it is coincidence, the experience is uncanny heh.

XIX

Jean
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
The Drawing of the Three:

"He taught me if you kill what you love, you're damned."
"I am damned already," Roland said calmly. "But perhaps even the damned may be saved."

Wuducynn
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
From Song of Susannah (and my new quote on .Net)-

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darknesss and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi"

Mordred Deschain
07-07-2007, 07:29 PM
a few of the books - Roland

"I deal in lead."

Letti
07-08-2007, 04:07 AM

"I am damned already," Roland said calmly. "But perhaps even the damned may be saved."

*nods in silence*

Darkthoughts
07-12-2007, 01:02 PM
That one is awesome, I have a copy of DSOM synchronized with Wizard of Oz and while the band swears it is coincidence, the experience is uncanny heh.

XIX

Isn't it! You have to start the album after the 3rd roar of the MGM lion don't you? I've done it a few times (but probably never whilst sober :D )

ZoNeSeeK
07-18-2007, 01:13 AM
There's a passage where Olive Thorin tries to seek comfort from her husband and is rejected, starting with:

"She slid in beside the gaunt, snoring man in the nightcap and when he turned away from her (his knees and back crackling loudly as he did) she pressed against him and hugged him tightly. There was no passion in this, but only a need to share a bit of his warmth. His chest, narrow, but almost as well known to her as her own plump one, rose and fell under her hands and she began to quiet a little. He stirred, and for a moment she thought he would wake and find her sharing his bed in Gods knew how long. Yes! Wake!, she thought. Do! She didn't dare wake him on her own - all her courage had been exhausted just getting here... "

Jean
07-18-2007, 05:11 AM
"I cannot call you a sucker of cocks, for instance, because you have no mouth and no cock. I cannot say you are viler than the vilest beggar who ever crawled the gutters of the lowest street in creation, because even such a creature is better than you; you have no knees on which to crawl, and would not fall upon them even if you did, for you have no conception of such a human flaw as mercy. I cannot even say you fucked your mother, because you had none."
<...>
"I COMMAND YOU TO STOP IT OR I'LL KILL YOU ALL RIGHT HERE!"
Roland's eyes blazed with such wild blue fire that Eddie shrank away from him. Dimly, he heard Jake and Susannah gasp.
"Kill if you will, but command me nothing!" the gunslinger roared. "You have forgotten the faces of those who made you! Now either kill us or be silent and listen to me, Roland of Gilead, son of Steven, gunslinger, and lord of the ancient lands! I have not come across all the miles and all the years to listen to your childish prating! Do you understand? Now you will listen to ME!"

fernandito
07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
From DT 7:

Spoilers?

..the one he always looked for , the one he always found. It closed gently behind him.

That last part gives me chills everytime I read it.

Daghain
07-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that's a good one. :)

Matt
07-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Walter said something to Roland at the end of Book 1 about (during the size discussion, which I love) about how people are too afraid to see the truth of existence in a lot of instances.

Sorry, I am just rambling. I will look it up. :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
"beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you..."

ZoNeSeeK
07-22-2007, 07:09 PM
.. salute?

Letti
07-22-2007, 10:11 PM
.. salute?

Mordred Deschain
07-23-2007, 03:21 PM

XIX

Isn't it! You have to start the album after the 3rd roar of the MGM lion don't you? I've done it a few times (but probably never whilst sober :D )

It's fricken amazing!! But the movie is longer than the album....from what I remember..

Darkthoughts
07-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah it is - like Chassit says, the band deny it - but who really knew what was going on in Roger Water's mind at that point...did he? :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
LOL...he was probably writing the music while watching the wizard of oz.

MonteGss
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
"I cannot call you a sucker of cocks, for instance, because you have no mouth and no cock. I cannot say you are viler than the vilest beggar who ever crawled the gutters of the lowest street in creation, because even such a creature is better than you; you have no knees on which to crawl, and would not fall upon them even if you did, for you have no conception of such a human flaw as mercy. I cannot even say you fucked your mother, because you had none."
<...>
Roland's eyes blazed with such wild blue fire that Eddie shrank away from him. Dimly, he heard Jake and Susannah gasp.
"Kill if you will, but command me nothing!" the gunslinger roared. "You have forgotten the faces of those who made you! Now either kill us or be silent and listen to me, Roland of Gilead, son of Steven, gunslinger, and lord of the ancient lands! I have not come across all the miles and all the years to listen to your childish prating! Do you understand? Now you will listen to ME!"

This part is truly AWESOME! Well chosen, Jean.

Letti
08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
<...>

This part is truly AWESOME! Well chosen, Jean.

Yes, it was amazing to reread this part. Thanks Jean. :rose:

MonteGss
08-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I just heard this one again this morning, courtesy of The Great Sage and Eminent Junkie, via Eddie:

"Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and let's get high."

Erin
08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
:o :o :o
Seriously, I was going to post that exact quote in here today. I listened to it last night on audio book.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow...we're listening to the same parts it seems! Cool!

Letti
10-15-2007, 12:50 AM
They were drugged, stone in love, and to them, every scar on the face of the world was a beauty-scar.

pathoftheturtle
10-18-2007, 09:03 PM
"I did it because a voice spoke in my mind and told me I must," Roland said. "It was the voice of my father; of all my fathers. When one hears such a voice, not to obey -- and at once -- is unthinkable. So I was taught."

Jean
10-18-2007, 11:06 PM
"If dying was required, he intended to die as Roland."

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
"Oh but there were those lamb slaughters eyes."

something about that line gives me a deep chill.

Erin
11-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm drawing a blank with that quote gunslinger19.

What book was that quote from and who said it to whom?

Jean
11-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Nothing was clear to Susan until she saw the man with the long red hair and the straw hat which did not quite obscure his lamb-slaughterer's eyes; the man with the cornshucks in his hands.

fernandito
11-09-2007, 11:47 PM
From The Gunslinger :

"Will they get us?"
"Never in life. Be quiet a second."

Letti
11-10-2007, 03:05 AM
I love this thread so much. I will come back later with some great quotes.

gunslinger19
11-10-2007, 07:40 AM
"Oh but there were those lamb slaughters eyes."

something about that line gives me a deep chill.

As Jean pointed out it is in Wizard and Glass, but the wording that I have comes from Wolves of the Calla. I think it was Susannah who was remembering what happened.

Jean
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
it's Eddie, and you're right about the deep chill it gives:

The silence and the empty board sidewalks began to give Eddie the creeps. He remembered Roland's tale of Susan's final ride into Mejis in the back of a cart, standing with her hands tied in front of her and a noose around her neck. Her road had been empty, too. At first. Then, not far from the intersection of the Great Road and the Silk Ranch Road, Susan and her captors had passed a single farmer, a man with what Roland had called lamb-slaughterer's eyes. Later she would be pelted with vegetables and sticks, even with stones, but this lone farmer had been first, standing there with his handful of cornshucks, which he had tossed almost gently at her as she passed on her way to… well, on her way to charyou tree, the Reap Fair of the Old People.
As they rode into Calla Bryn Sturgis, Eddie kept expecting that man, those lamb-slaughterer's eyes, and the handful of cornshucks. Because this town felt bad to him. Not evil—evil as Mejis had likely been on the night of Susan Delgado's death— but bad in a simpler way. Bad as in bad luck, bad choices, bad omens. Bad ka, maybe.

MonteGss
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I just listened to that scene on my ride home. :)
It is good to be on that book again. :thumbsup:

Storyslinger
11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for that Jean

LadyHitchhiker
11-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Beans beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you....

Kyonn
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Not really a quote but my favorite line will always be:

"The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

The simplicity and power of that line can not be overstated. It sums up everthing about Roland's relentless quest in one line.

stevesnow
11-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I do enjoy a quote, and I do like this thread. I'm rereading the Gunslinger right now so here are a couple:

"He had never expected it to come to this, and he was sorry."

And secondly, a bit of a DT classic to me:

"He didn't want to fall, even though there was no one to see him. It was a matter of pride. A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

Storyslinger
11-19-2007, 07:16 AM
I love that second quote stevesnow

Letti
11-22-2007, 02:27 AM
I love that second quote stevesnow
Me too.
A very good one.

_Sphynx_
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
This one has always been a favourite of mine (and I know it's a passage and not a quote, but still):

"I had a dream last night, so I did," said Sheemie of the Mejis, whose life had once been saved by three young gunslingers from Gilead. "I dreamed that I was back in the Travellers' Rest, only Coral wasn't there, nor Stanley, nor Pettie, nor Sheb--him that used to play the pianer. There was nobbut me, and I was moppin the floor and singin 'Carless Love.' Then the batwings screeked, so they did, they had this funny sound they made..."
Jake saw that Roland was nodding, a trace of a smile on his lips.
"I looked up," Sheemie resumed, "and in come this boy." His eyes shifted briefly to Jake, then back to the mouth of the cave. "He looked like you, young sai, so he did, close enough to be twim. But his face were covert wi' blood and one of his eye'n were put out, spoiling his pretty, and he walked all a-limp. Looked like death he did, and frighten't me terrible, and made me sad to see him, too. I just kept moppin, thinkin that if I did that he might not never mind me, or even see me at all, and go away."
Jake realized he knew this tale. Had he seen it? Had he actually been that bloody boy?
"But he looked right at you..." Roland murmured, still a-hunker, still looking out into the gloom.
"Aye, Will Dearborn that was, right at me, so he did and said 'Why must you hurt me, when I love you so? When I can do nothing else nor want to, for love made me and fed me and--"
"'And kept me in better days,'" Eddie murmured. A tear fell from one of his eyes and made a dark spot on the floor of the cave.
"'--and kept me in better days? Will you cut me; and disfigure my face, and fill me with woe? I have only loved you for your beauty as you once loved me for mine in the days before the world moved on. Now you scar me with nails and put burning drops of quicksilver in my nose; you have set the animals on me, so you have, and they have eaten of my softest parts. Around me the can-toi gather and there's no peace for me from their laughter. Yest I still love you and would serve you and even bring the magic again, if you would allow me, for that is how my heart was cast when I rose from the Prim. And once I was strong as well as beautiful, but now my strength is almost gone.'"
You cried," Susannah said, and Jake thought: Of course he did. He was crying himself. So was Ted; so was Dinky Earnshaw. Only Roland was dry-eyed, and the gunslinger was pale, so pale.
"He wept," said Sheemie (tears were rolling down his cheeks as he told his dream), "and I did, too, for I could see that he had been as fair as daylight. He said, 'If the torture were to stop now, I might still recover--if never my looks, then at least my strength--'"
"'My kes,'" Jake said, and although he'd never heard the word before he pronounced it correctly, almost as if it were kiss.
"'--and my kes. But another week... or maybe five days... or even three... and it will be too late. Even if the torture stops, I'll die. And you'll die too, for when love leaves the world, all hearts are still. Tell them of my love and tell them of my pain and tell them of my hope, which still lives. For this is all I have and all I am and all I ask.' Then the boy turned and went out. The batwing door made its same sound. Skree-eek."
He looked at Jake, now, and smiled like one who has just awakened. "I can't answer your question, sai." He knocked a fist on his forehead. "Don't have much in the way of brains up here, me--only cobwebbies. Cordelia Delgado said so, and I reckon she was right."
Jake made no reply. He was dazed. He had dreamed about the same disfigured boy, but not in any saloon; it had been in Gage Park, the one where they'd seen Charlie the Choo-Choo. Last night. Had to have been. He hadn't remembered untill now, probably never have remembered if Sheemie hadn't told his own dream. And had Roland, Eddie and Susannah also had a version of the same dream? Yes. He could see it in their faces, just as he could see that Ted and Dinky looked moved but otherwise bewildered.

Matt
11-25-2007, 11:47 AM
That's a great passage right there Sphinx, thanks for putting it out here.

DTrose19
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
" If you say it so, let it be so sia. "

I find myself using this one alot in conversation not really sure why.

and "Ka is a wheel"

sarah
11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
" If you say it so, let it be so sia. "

oh good one. I think i can mentally apply that to my life.

Toren
11-30-2007, 09:51 AM
"So what do we do?" Eddie asked. "You must have an idea, or you never would have sent him away."
"His great intelligence - coupled with his long period of loneliness and forced inactivity - may have combined to make him more human than he knows. That's my hope, anyway. First, we must establish a kind of geography. We must tell, if we can, where he is weak and where he is strong, where he is sure of the game and where not so sure. Riddles are not just about the cleverness of the riddler, never think it. They are also about the blind spots of he who is riddled."
"Does he have blind spots?" Eddie asked.
"If he doesn't," Roland said calmly, "we're going to die on this train."
"I like the way you kind of ease us over the rough spots," Eddie said with a thin smile. "It's one of your many charms."

MonteGss
12-22-2007, 09:57 AM
"I was going to send it back but will keep it because I at least liked the pictures (especially Oy). But the story was a cheat. Can you spell CHEAT Mr. King? M-O-O-N, that spells CHEAT."

I laughed out loud in the grocery store when I got to this part again in the audiobook. :D

ATG
12-23-2007, 10:49 PM
" Then why don't you want to look at it?' Sunannah asked.
" Because it is trouble," Roland said, " and it's in our road. We'll get there in time. No need to live in trouble until trouble comes. "
Wizard and Glass

MonteGss
12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I laughed when I listened to this on my drive this evening:

"Bark! Ark! Shit-bark!"

Courtesy of Oy through Jake's mouth. :lol:

Lord_Vertigo
01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Where would I find, on the web, a great resource for quotes from the series? I'd love to save time from having to search the books themselves.

Malficeus
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
id say got to the who said to who thread they got alot just from plaing games

Erin
01-14-2008, 07:39 PM
This thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=286), found in the Mid-World is an excellent resource for Dark Tower quotes. :)

ZoNeSeeK
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Lord Vertigo, try visiting WikiQuote (http:\\en.wikiquote.org) - Wikipedia's quote resource. Here's the link to the Dark Tower entry:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_%28series%29

Matt
01-15-2008, 05:17 AM
There is also a plan on the site of a reference companion. I'm going to really try and get something done on it this weekend.

Jon
01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
or...read the books.

Lord_Vertigo
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Found some great ones. Thanks.

Wuducynn
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm gonna get me some of the sweetest Calla pussy and fuck that bitch until she screams in pleasure and for mercy, then dump her without looking back

Storyslinger
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Quoting Storm....
Born in sin, come on in.

Wuducynn
01-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Quoting Storm....
Born in sin, come on in.

Very cool. But this thread is quotes from The Dark Tower series, like mine.

;)

Matt
01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, and I hoping you can keep your twisted fantasies to yourself in the future. :lol:

childeluke
01-25-2008, 12:29 AM
probably already said...."Henry Dean, the great sage and eminent junkie."

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Quoting Storm....
Born in sin, come on in.

Very cool. But this thread is quotes from The Dark Tower series, like mine.

;)

Nice :lol:

Letti
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
"We are going to go, Eddie.
We are going to fight.
We are going to be hurt.
And in the end we will stand."

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
"It's against my religion to insult men carrying guns."

Mist_on_the_Water
01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
"Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish" -Roland either to or about Susan...cry padon if it's been posted!

"See the speed of Roland's hand. Even then, first among equals, he has his hawk airborne while the others are still pulling off their birds' hoods. The hawks are ore that simply creatures. More than just birds. They are examples for the young, would-be warriors. They hunt quickly, efficiently, dispassionately. They are killers by an instinct that need no honing. Would that the students were that fortunate." -Narrator, Gunslinger Born number 1

and again cry pardon if the comics weren't included here, but it's one of my favorite quotes.

Randall Flagg
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Mostly Non-Tower King quotes (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/sk/quotes.html)

jayson
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
"Oy. Eld. Thankee." - Oy of Mid-World

Wuducynn
01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
"It's against my religion to insult men carrying guns."

Smart.

Malficeus
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Not really a quote but my favorite line will always be:

"The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

The simplicity and power of that line can not be overstated. It sums up everthing about Roland's relentless quest in one line.

im with you on that one i say its the best opening line ever

Mist_on_the_Water
02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
"Oy. Eld. Thankee." - Oy of Mid-World

Yeah that was one of my favorites! That and

When Oy died, saying "Olan'"...that made me cry..I luffles Oy @___@

Letti
02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
When Oy died, saying "Olan'"...that made me cry..I luffles Oy @___@

Yeah, I felt my heart would break and bump no more.

Wuducynn
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
"bump" or "pump" no more?

Letti
02-02-2008, 01:11 AM
"bump" or "pump" no more?
Neither.

Wuducynn
02-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Right.

Letti
02-09-2008, 05:36 AM
She drew in a final breath of cold air, warm it with her heart, and loosed it in a defiant shout: "ROLAND, I LOVE THEE!"

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

blake316
02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
''I needn't stake my faith on the challenge of such a thing as you, sai''

turtlex
03-20-2008, 03:07 AM
One of my favorites :

"Go, then. There are other world's than these."

Also, something just so perfect and descriptive with the line :

".. the world that has moved on .."

Wuducynn
03-20-2008, 05:12 AM
"And to those of you who favor darkness, give you joy of the red eye that shines there." - from Susannah and Mia's shared vision in Song of Susannah.

obscurejude
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
"I love you both."
"That doesn't answer the question. You'll go on, won't you?"
"Yes."
"To the very end."
"Yes. To the very end."
"No matter what." Eddie looked at him with love and hate and all the aching dearness of one man's dying hopeless helpless reach for another man's mind and will and need."

From The Drawing of the Three, Final Shuffle

Letti
03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
"I love you both."
"Yes."
"To the very end."
"Yes. To the very end."
"No matter what." Eddie looked at him with love and hate and all the aching dearness of one man's dying hopeless helpless reach for another man's mind and will and need."

What a beautiful part. Thank you.

obscurejude
03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
You're welcome. :)

Truth
05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
"Hile Gunslinger" he said and knew
(the wave they ride the wave)
that he was heard "Hile Roland"

Girlystevedave
05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
The Gunslinger:

Brown: "You'll never catch him."
Roland: "I'll catch him."

I love the simplicity and surety of this one.

Letti
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
The Gunslinger:

Brown: "You'll never catch him."
Roland: "I'll catch him."

I love the simplicity and surety of this one.

Oh yes. Nice part.
I wish I had this kind of self-confidence.

Girlystevedave
05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Exactly!

Jean
05-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't even know if was self-confidence

the man had sacrificed all his life to that one goal. He keeps justifying it to himself - both the importance and the feasibility. Or else everything would be useless.

eldsai
05-17-2008, 07:23 PM
basically anything eddie says and

"_____TO ME!"
i dont know why I just liked that when Roland says it.
I believe someone else says it too once maybe Jake/Eddie ?

hoin1585
05-24-2008, 03:46 AM
"None va fanculo, catzarro. Eddie Dean va fanculo"

“What was behind Door Number One wasn’t so hot, and what was behind Door Number Two was even worse, so now, instead of quitting like sane people, we’re going to go right ahead and check out Door Number Three. The way things have been going, I think it’s likely to be something like Godzilla or Ghidra the Three-Headed Monster, but I’m an optimist. I’m still hoping for the stainless steel cookware.”

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
"He darkles. He tincts. He is in all times."

“I have forgotten the face of my father, whose guns I hope someday to bear.” - Cuthbert Allgood.

"I like the way you kind of ease us over the rough spots," Eddie said with a thin smile. "It's one of your many charms."

One of my favorites :

"Go, then. There are other world's than these."

thank you all for reminding me of these and more.

here are some of my favorites:

"See the TURTLE ain't he keen? All things serve the fucking beam!"

"it's a bumhug"

"he let me drop and that is the truth. i still love him, and that is the truth." (i may have messed that one up)

"you say true, i say thankya"

Letti
05-25-2008, 01:10 AM
basically anything eddie says and

"_____TO ME!"
i dont know why I just liked that when Roland says it.
I believe someone else says it too once maybe Jake/Eddie ?

Oh yes! I feel the same way. I have no idea why I love it so much. There is so much power in it. You can hear and feel it in your bones..

turtlex
05-25-2008, 02:43 AM
"I love you both."
"Yes."
"To the very end."
"Yes. To the very end."

Oh, yeah - this part is just amazing. I mean, it just says so much. So powerful.

mallory
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
"Go on there are other worlds then these"

Jake under the mountain...Gunslinger

DettaDelgado
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
"For Gilead and the Calla!" he roared. "Now, gunslingers! Now, you Sisters of Oriza! Now, now! Kill them! No quarter! Kill them all!"

Mark
06-01-2008, 03:13 PM
First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire-Roland

Girlystevedave
06-01-2008, 03:46 PM
First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire-Roland

This is definitely one of my favs. I even put it in my sig one time. :thumbsup:

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 05:20 PM
The one I was thinking of was in the Wastelands, and I need to look it up--but this one did break my heart when I read it.

I was going through a divorce and so it hit me pretty hard...but now, long past that & in love again, it's still rings deep.

Tiffany
06-02-2008, 08:22 AM
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
This one.

theBeamisHome
06-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Lots and lots but I was reading The Dark Tower and I couldn't help cracking up at this one. Ok I won't quote all of it, but when Eddie gives Roland the money to get some aspirin and sandwiches. And he tries to get him to pronounce everything. 'Hoagie' become 'Hoggie' and then 'Hoogie'. He finally gets him to just say 'poor boy'. and 'lots of mayo', but then its a 'salommy sanditch'. I was rolling!

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Lots and lots but I was reading The Dark Tower and I couldn't help cracking up at this one. Ok I won't quote all of it, but when Eddie gives Roland the money to get some aspirin and sandwiches. And he tries to get him to pronounce everything. 'Hoagie' become 'Hoggie' and then 'Hoogie'. He finally gets him to just say 'poor boy'. and 'lots of mayo', but then its a 'salommy sanditch'. I was rolling!

i know, i thought this was great as well. and roland's view of mayo is priceless. :lol:

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
"if you're in the trees, you got to swing"

Ves'Ka Gan
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
"Ka-Ka".

I love it because it goes from being a smart ass Eddie comment to being kind of a part of Roland's vernacular too. So silly, yet so profound. It's a shame "Fate is shit" doesn't work as nicely.

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
ooooh another one, from Wizard and Glass....

"time is a just a face on the pond"

Letti
06-14-2008, 02:24 AM
ooooh another one, from Wizard and Glass....

"time is a just a face on the pond"

On the pond? I don't remember it this way but my memory sucks. Isn't it "Time is just a face on the water."? *is unsure*

Jean
06-14-2008, 02:42 AM
it is water, so your memory doesn't suck - unless mine does, too

Brice
06-14-2008, 07:55 AM
No, it is definitely water, not pond.

JQ The Gunslinger
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Lol pond just sounds funny

Ka-tet
06-22-2008, 04:33 AM
"You have come from the shadow of herion and the shadow of your brother, my friend. Come from the shadow of yourself, if you dare. Come now. Come out or shoot me and have done with it"

The Waste Lands, page 240.

Babymordred121
06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Best summary ever of Roland and his quest:

"Can nothing prevent the fall of the Tower?"
"Not even your gunslinger friend hopes to prevent it," Mia said, "only to slow it down by freeing the Breakers and-perhaps-slaying the Crimson King. Save it! Save it, O delight! Did he ever tell you that was his quest?"
"No," Mia went on, "for he won't lie to his ka-tet unless he has to, 'tis his pride. What he wants of the Tower is only to see it." Then she added, rather grudgingly: "Oh, perhapse to enter it, and climb to the room at the top, his ambition may strike so far. He may dream of standing on its allure as we hunker on this one, and chant the names of his fallen comrades, and of his line all the way back to Arthur Eld. But save it? No, good lady! Only a return of the magic could possibly save it, and-as you yourself well know-your dinh deals only in lead."

Letti
06-28-2008, 12:13 AM
"Gods leave siguls. Men leave machines." - Roland

vidroha
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
My first post on these forums. Greetings and saultations... I guess it is fitting for my first post to be one of my favorite quotes:

Wizard and Glass, Rhea:

"Men! She could not understand why so many women feared them. Hadn't the Gods made them with the most vulnerable part of their guts hanging right out of their bodies like a misplaced bit of bowel? Kick them there and they curled up like snails, caress them there and their brains melted!"

Letti
07-12-2008, 03:08 AM
vidroha! Long days and pleasant nights!

Yeah, Rhea must be one of the dirtest creatures I have ever met but she knew how to express her opinion. She should have become a politician. ;)

JQ The Gunslinger
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Anyone remember the quote Eddie says at the end of book 2. something about how his brother had a tower too, only it was white or something.

The Lady of Shadows
07-30-2008, 12:12 PM
"You sound like Henry, man.” Eddie had begun to cry himself. He didn’t want to. He hated to cry. “He had a tower, too, only it wasn’t dark. Remember me telling you about Henry’s tower? We were brothers, and I guess we were gunslingers. We had this White Tower, and he asked me to go after it with him the only way he could ask, so I saddled up, because he was my brother, you dig it? We got there, too. Found the White Tower. But it was poison. It killed him. It would have killed me. You saw me. You saved more than my life. You saved my fuckin soul.”

JQ The Gunslinger
07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Yea thats a great quote. Thx alot

The Lady of Shadows
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
you're quite welcome. :)

Letti
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks turtle. I loved Eddie from the beginning so so much.

Wuducynn
08-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Best summary ever of Roland and his quest:

"Can nothing prevent the fall of the Tower?"
"Not even your gunslinger friend hopes to prevent it," Mia said, "only to slow it down by freeing the Breakers and-perhaps-slaying the Crimson King. Save it! Save it, O delight! Did he ever tell you that was his quest?"
"No," Mia went on, "for he won't lie to his ka-tet unless he has to, 'tis his pride. What he wants of the Tower is only to see it." Then she added, rather grudgingly: "Oh, perhapse to enter it, and climb to the room at the top, his ambition may strike so far. He may dream of standing on its allure as we hunker on this one, and chant the names of his fallen comrades, and of his line all the way back to Arthur Eld. But save it? No, good lady! Only a return of the magic could possibly save it, and-as you yourself well know-your dinh deals only in lead."

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Matt
08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
"You sound like Henry, man.” Eddie had begun to cry himself. He didn’t want to. He hated to cry. “He had a tower, too, only it wasn’t dark. Remember me telling you about Henry’s tower? We were brothers, and I guess we were gunslingers. We had this White Tower, and he asked me to go after it with him the only way he could ask, so I saddled up, because he was my brother, you dig it? We got there, too. Found the White Tower. But it was poison. It killed him. It would have killed me. You saw me. You saved more than my life. You saved my fuckin soul.”

Roland really should have listened to that description better, it's quite apt for all "tower's".

pathoftheturtle
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
From "On Turtleback Lane," DT7:
…From time to time Roland’s sigul sent him dreams of a field filled with roses, and a sooty-black tower. Sometimes he was visited by terrible visions of two crimson eyes, floating unattached to any body and relentlessly scanning the horizon. Sometimes there were dreams in which he heard the sound of a man relentlessly winding his horn. From these latter dreams he would awake with tears on his cheeks, those of longing and loss and love. He would awake with his hand closed around the cross, thinking I denied Discordia and regret nothing; I have spit into the bodiless eyes of the Crimson King and rejoice; I threw my lot in with the gunslinger’s ka-tet and the White and never once questioned the choice.

KaLikeAWheel
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh, man...everytime I read this part I just about DIE!

"Oy?" he asked. "Will you say goodbye?"
Oy looked at Roland, and for a moment the gunslinger wasn't sure he understood. Then the bumbler extended his neck and caressed the boy's cheek a last time with his tongue. "I, Ake," he said: Bye, Jake or I ache, it came to the same. :cry:

And while I was looking up this quote on Google, I came to this: http://belinda-rikku.deviantart.com/art/Billy-Bumbler-s-Lament-53926480 Caution, spoilers!

And of course, I love "Ka, like a wheel." :)
Donna

leaveittobeezer
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Eddie's greatest moment in the sun in my opinion,

"It crossed the road because it was stapled to the chicken, you dopey fuck"

Truth
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
[SPOILER][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]"Oy?" he asked. "Will you say goodbye?"
Oy looked at Roland, and for a moment the gunslinger wasn't sure he understood. Then the bumbler extended his neck and caressed the boy's cheek a last time with his tongue. "I, Ake," he said: Bye, Jake or I ache, it came to the same. :cry:

ya that quote had me chokin up when i read it

turtlex
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm going to mark this with spoilers - just in case.

Roland calling out the Roll at the Tower.....

I come in the name of Steven Deschain, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Gabrielle Deschain, she of Gilead!
I come in the name of Cortland Andrus, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Cuthbert Allgood, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Alain Johns, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Jamie DeCurry, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Vannay the Wise, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of Hax the Cook, he of Gilead!
I come in the name of David the hawk, he of Gilead and the sky!
I come in the name of Susan Delgado, she of Mejis!
I come in the name of Sheemie Ruiz, he of Mejis!
I come in the name of Pere Callahan, he of Jerusalem’s Lot, and the roads!
I come in the name of Ted Brautigan, he of America!
I come in the name of Dinky Earnshaw, he of America!
I come in the name of Aunt Talitha, she of River Crossing, and will lay her cross here, as I was bid!
I come in the name of Stephen King, he of Maine!
I come in the name of Oy, the brave, he of Mid-World!
I come in the name of Eddie Dean, he of New York!
I come in the name of Susannah Dean, he of New York!
I come in the name of Jake Chambers, he of New York, whom I call my own true son!
I am Roland of Gilead, and I come as myself; you will open to me.

It reads like poetry to me now. I usually make it as far as ... "David" before I start crying like a Ka-Baby.

VastOne
08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
WHAT DOES THAT SIGNIFY, FOOLISH CREATURE?"

"It's the world's smallest violin, playing 'My Heart Pumps Purple Piss for You.'"

Eddie Dean

VastOne
08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh, Christ. I left the world I knew to watch a kid try to put booties on a fucked-up weasel. Shoot me, Roland, before I breed.

Eddie again...

And finally from W&G

Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Letti
08-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Yeah, I love this one. So true. I try to remember it because I can be such a fool time to time.

Ka-tet
09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
"Christ the man jesus help me, I have black thirteen under the floorboards of my church. And its come alive. Do you understand me?" He looked at them with his wet eyes "Its come alive"

Father Callahan

leaveittobeezer
09-18-2008, 03:07 PM
"Fucking lemons."

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 07:36 AM

I like this quote a lot. It is chilling yet comical.

A couple of quotes that I like that are comical that come from Eddie (of course)

1. Ka Ka when referring to how he feels about Roland's Ka.

2. Watch your ass, it's already cracked. :P

This series does have many 'satisfying' quotes from Roland though which I think is why his character is so strong and bad ass.

Letti
09-25-2008, 03:17 AM
"Fucking lemons."

Where was this one? :wtf:

BeDaN
09-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Can't remember what book it's from, but I tend to think it's true, it goes a little something like this.

"Never is the word God listens for when he needs a good laugh."

leaveittobeezer
09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
"Fucking lemons."

Where was this one? :wtf:

I think it was SoS, when Eddie remembered Henry's stock market rant, referring to lemmings.

Jean
09-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes, it was in SoS:

"One thing I would most apple-solutely not sink my money into is all this computer shit, Microsoft, Macintosh, Sanyo, Sankyo, Pentium, all that."
"Seems pretty popular," Eddie had ventured. Not that he'd much cared, but what the hell, it was a conversation. "Microsoft, especially. The coming thing."
Henry had laughed indulgently and made jacking-off gestures. "My prick, that's the coming thing."
"But — "
"Yeah, yeah, I know, people're flocking to that crap. Driving all the prices up. And when I observe that action, do you know what I see?"
"No, what?"
"Lemons!"
"Lemons?" Eddie had asked. He'd thought he was following Henry, but he guessed he was lost, after all. Of course the sunset had been amazing that evening, and he had been most colossally fucked up.
"You heard me!" Henry had said, warming to the subject. "Fuckin lemons! Didn't they teach you anything in school, bro? Lemons are these little animals that live over in Switzerland, or someplace like that. And every now and then — I think it's every ten years, I'm not sure — they get suicidal and throw themselves over the cliffs."
"Oh," Eddie said, biting hard on the inside of his cheek to keep from bursting into mad cackles. "Those lemons. I thought you meant the ones you use to make lemonade."

JayFarson
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
"Do you know you come to the line of Eld?" Roland asked in that same curiously gentle voice. He stretched a hand towards Eddie, Susannah, and Jake. Even toward Oy. "For these are mine, sure. As I am theirs. We are round, and roll as we do. And you know what we are."

turtlex
09-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Please help me, folks.

Which is a correct quote, or are both?

Ka is a wheel

Ka is a circle

Letti
09-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Ka is a wheel.
I have never seen the other.

turtlex
09-30-2008, 03:08 AM
:huglove: Thanks, Letti.

Letti
09-30-2008, 03:16 AM
my pleasure :blush:

Jean
09-30-2008, 03:46 AM
sometimes in context it's "Ka is like a wheel"

taheen74
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
"Every body is a book of blood; once we're open, we're red." - Clive Barker, Books of Blood

And the one in my sig...

The Lady of Shadows
09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
lemons.

fucking lemons.

Ruthful
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I love that conversation. One of the most underappreciated aspects of this series is its consistent, and at times absolutely brilliant, humor. I think people miss that part of Stephen King's writing.

Gasher80
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
"Please," he said, and heard the word trying to break into a sob. He kept seeing Roland lying crushed beneath the huge fountain. What had Gasher said? If anyone wanted him, they would have to pick him up with a blotter. "Beg if you want, dear heart. Just don't expect no good to come of it, for mercy stops on this side of the bridge, so it does. Now go down, or I'll kick your bleedin brains right outcher bleedin ears."

ladykatherine
10-01-2008, 05:48 PM
"HONKY MAFAHS!"

hahaha holy cow. i always laugh when it can to 'Detta. my roommate could totally be her, I swear.

ladykatherine
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
*came...man i really need to get used to this new laptop or everyone's gonna think im a horrible speller!!!
:panic:

MrQuint
10-01-2008, 06:04 PM
It's not really a quote but when Roland lost his fingers one of his first thoughts was how it was going to affect his masturbation.

BeDaN
10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
But not for you, gunslinger. Never for you. You darkle. You tinct. May I be brutally frank? You go on.

Geomon
10-05-2008, 09:48 PM
"The soul of a man such as you can never leave the west."

Letti
10-05-2008, 10:57 PM
"The soul of a man such as you can never leave the west."

Yes, it's a really good one. It was Roland to Jonas.. am I right?

razz
10-06-2008, 04:03 AM
I do believe it was

Letti
10-06-2008, 06:03 AM
That was the very sentence Jonas would never want to hear in his life.

Brice
10-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh, I think he just LOVED hearing it. :D

Geomon
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, it's a really good one. It was Roland to Jonas.. am I right?

Yes. When I first read it, it struck me as being one of the most cold blooded and most passionate things you can say to someone, especially Jonas.

Empath of the White
10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
" "There," she said. "You have your own glammer, don't you? Always did. You drew Eddie to one death and Jake to a pair of em. Now Patrick, and even the bumbler. Are you happy?"

"No," said he, and she saw he truly was not. She believed she had never seen such sadness and such loneliness on a human face. "

--Susannah to Roland, The Dark Tower HC, page 747

Letti
10-24-2008, 03:30 AM
I have met this one in SoS:

"Because death was the gift that kept on giving. Dead, like diamonds, was forever."

ManOfWesternesse
10-24-2008, 03:35 AM
"...death was the gift that kept on giving...."

Yes, I love that one.

Louis Cyphre
11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
"Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in a web of regard."

"Control the things you can control, maggot, let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."

Ste Letto
11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
In The Dark Tower, when Jake dies comes the line "Roland's heart twisted like a rag in his chest and there was a moment to wonder how it could go on beating in the face of this."

I have felt this, and think this captures it perfectly.

Letti
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
In The Dark Tower, when Jake dies comes the line "Roland's heart twisted like a rag in his chest and there was a moment to wonder how it could go on beating in the face of this."

I have felt this, and think this captures it perfectly.

truely beautiful one

The Old Fella
11-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Two of my favourite quotes, both from DT VII. Spoilers too, say sorry.

Eddie who lies slowly dying after being head shot and has spouted mostly nonsense, suddenly saying:

"I do not shoot with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father."

This chills me just as it chills Jake's heart when Eddie says it.

The other quote comes a little while later directed at a group of the less than grateful Breakers:

"As you will," said Roland. "I've spoken my last word on it, and the next who speaks back to me may remain silent ever after, for one of my friends is preparing another, her husband, to lie in the ground and I am full of grief and rage. Would you speak more? Would you dare my rage? If so, you dare this." He drew his gun and laid it in the hollow of his shoulder.

Jean
11-20-2008, 04:16 AM
don't be sorry about spoilers... just mark them

Savoury
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Time's the thief of memory - Vannay

Ste Letto
11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
In Dark Tower by Oy.

"When Jake dies Oy says "I ake"

circe
12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
There are so many amazing quotes here. One of my favorites has always been Jake's "Go then. There are other worlds than these." This following quote struck a chord in me the first time I read it and every time thereafter.....it just seems so relevant somehow.

"You doom yourselves, Susannah. You seem positively bent on it, and the root is always the same: Your faith fails you, and you replace it with rational thought. But there is no love in thought, nothing that lasts in deduction, only death in rationalism. The magic went away. Maerlyn retired to his cave in one world, the sword of Eld gave way to the pistols of the gunslingers in another, and the magic went away. And across the arc of years great alchemists, great scientists, and great--what?--technicians, I think? Great men of thought, anyway, that's what I mean, great men of deduction--these came together and created the machines which ran the Beams. They were great machines, but they were mortal machines. They replaced the magic with machines, do ya kennit, and now the machines are failing. In some worlds, great plagues have decimated whole populations. The machines are going mad. You've seen this for yourself. The men believed there would always be more men like them to make more machines. None of them foresaw what's happened. This....this universal exhaustion. The world has moved on." -- Mia, Song of Susannah

astifledchance
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
One of my absolute favorite quotes is from Cuthbert in Hambry

"I simply can't allow that. Nope. I would if I could, but I can't. Unsanitary, you see. Who knows what disease might be spread in such fashion? The mind quails! Ab-so-lutely CUH-WAILS!"

osseolax28
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
" What is is, but all is Ka."

" Done is done, and there will be no taking back."

" I pray to no god, I hold to the tower, and won't pray to that."

Nightfall
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Just two off of the top of my head.
I used two hyphons in place of the longer dashes, I was never one for searching around for alt codes ><
End of DT7 spoiler

This is your promise that things may be different, Roland -- that there may yet be rest. Even salvation.
A pause, and then:
If you stand. If you are true.

During The Wastelands when Eddie and Roland are talking one night.

"And if they decide to make a fight of it?"
Roland smiled grimly. "Then Eddie, we'll all remember the faces of our fathers."

Letti
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
My father," Eddie murmured under his breath just before Roland opened the passanger door and climbed in.
"Did you speak, Eddie?" Roland asked.
"Yes," Eddie said. "Just a little farther. 'My very words."

candy
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
There are so many amazing quotes here. One of my favorites has always been Jake's "Go then. There are other worlds than these." This following quote struck a chord in me the first time I read it and every time thereafter.....it just seems so relevant somehow.

i adore this its probably the most haunting quote for me, the first time i read it - i struck something in me, and every now and again it just bounces back into my head. does this make me insane? probabley

Billy-Bumbler
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Has anyone mentioned Blaine's classic "Tough Titty said the Kitty"?

GirlGoneNineteen
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
"So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure."

gromit
03-02-2009, 11:57 PM
"I kill with my heart, motherfucker!" - S.Dean

pixiedark76
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
My favorite quotes are when Eddie tells Roland "Ka is Ka-Ka"
"Did you see your sisters bum?" (I am not sure who said this)
"Life for Your Crop"
"Long days and pleasant nights, may you have twice the number"