PDA

View Full Version : Why Wolves of the "Calla"?

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
And not "Wolves of Thunderclap"? Was King afraid that this title for his book would give too much away? I doubt it. So why choose the title he did? The Wolves didn't come from the Calla, so...? Any ideas?

Erin
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Great topic CK. I can't believe that question has never crossed my mind before.

As for an answer...hmmm. Could it possibly be a play on words addressing both the real wolves themselves as well as the issues and problems that were present in the Calla?

Letti
05-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe my answer is stupid but I always took it as a form of "the demons of Calla". They didn't come from Calla and of course the Calla folks didn't own them but they feared them so much and the wolves were a very important part of their life so much that their life belonged to them.
I hope it makes some sense. It might not be an answer but I always thought of it this way.

jayson
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Maybe my answer is stupid but I always took it as a form of "the demons of Calla". They didn't come from Calla and of course the Calla folks didn't own them but they feared them so much and the wolves were a very important part of their life so much that their life belonged to them.
I hope it makes some sense. It might not be an answer but I always thought of it this way.

it makes sense to me Letti. the wolves are not from the calla, but they are the main problem of the calla folken.

additionally, the calla is where the tet has to face the wolves so, in a way, to the tet the wolves are the wolves of the calla.

Rjeso
05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
And not "Wolves of Thunderclap"? Was King afraid that this title for his book would give too much away? I doubt it. So why choose the title he did? The Wolves didn't come from the Calla, so...? Any ideas?

Just to piss you off.

For reals, though, I'm with RofG.

obscurejude
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Just a thought:

My borderland geography is a little rusty but is thunderclap included in the larger region of the Callas? The story takes place in Bryn Sturgis, but their were in arcs and outer arcs. I don't remember...

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Could it possibly be a play on words addressing both the real wolves themselves as well as the issues and problems that were present in the Calla?

This is very interesting, it sounds like you're kind of on the same page as Letti here -

You really need to stop bashing yourself and your opinions Letti. Not only is it NOT stupid, it is sounds right-on to me, the way you put it.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Just a thought:

My borderland geography is a little rusty but is thunderclap included in the larger region of the Callas? The story takes place in Bryn Sturgis, but their were in arcs and outer arcs. I don't remember...

The Calla's are the Borderlands, and they border on Thunderclap which is a part of End-World.

obscurejude
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification CK.

mia/susannah
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I agree with R of G. The wolves go from thunderclap to the calla's to steal the children and then return to thunderclap with them. The Calla is where the gunslingers have to battle the wolves and help the folken of the calla. Therefore the name fits.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Actually, that was Letti that came up with that..to give credit where credit is due.

mia/susannah
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry about that. Letti. You are the one I agree with then. I humbly apoliagize.

Erin
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Could it possibly be a play on words addressing both the real wolves themselves as well as the issues and problems that were present in the Calla?

This is very interesting, it sounds like you're kind of on the same page as Letti here -

Yep, I think we are on the same page. I almost even used the word "demons" myself. Besides the obvious, the wolves were the demons plaguing the town. When the ka-tet rid the town of the wolves, they also rid the Calla of many of their problems and set things right.

Letti
05-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry about that. Letti. You are the one I agree with then. I humbly apoliagize.

Music to my ears. :huglove:

Ka-tet
05-09-2008, 05:20 AM
If i remember corectly a calla was a town by the river that leads to end world? If not sorry but im a little rust and im due for a re-read.

Anyway the wolves terrorised towns from all over that are didnt they? all of the callas.

ManOfWesternesse
05-09-2008, 05:32 AM
If i remember corectly a calla was a town by the river that leads to end world....

The Callas were more like territories, or maybe counties, than towns (though Calla Bryn Sturgis does have a village/small Town it it & so might others).

On the main question - I agree with the general opinion above.

Ka-tet
05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Ah i get it now, thankee ^.^

obscurejude
05-09-2008, 11:20 AM
If i remember corectly a calla was a town by the river that leads to end world? If not sorry but im a little rust and im due for a re-read.

Anyway the wolves terrorised towns from all over that are didnt they? all of the callas.

Dude, what are you saying?

Ka-tet
05-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh yeah i got so close to asking my question that i didnt answer the one in the topic well manofwest seems to have got my point xD

What im saying is that if the wolves terrorised the callas then they are The Wolves Of The Calla, or Callas anyway.

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
i swear i read something about King calling it something else, but it ended up as is. its in one of the wordslinger pages, i set my watch and warrant on it. just not sure which book, cry pardon...

cozener
08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Maybe SK just thought that Wolves of the Calla sounded more Westernish than Wolves of Thunderclap.

Brainslinger
08-07-2008, 05:05 AM
i swear i read something about King calling it something else, but it ended up as is. its in one of the wordslinger pages, i set my watch and warrant on it. just not sure which book, cry pardon...

I believe the going title was something like "The Creeping Shadow" or "The Shadow that Creeps". Just as well he didn't go with that one I reckon. It's a cool sounding name but a bit too vague for the contents of the book. I.e. The Crimson King is gathering his forces throughout the books in the background, and his 'shadow' stretches far. The collection of the kids is all part of that, as is what is happening to Susannah, but it's fitting that the name be tailored to specific events.

As for the name "Wolves of the Calla", I reasoned the same as Letti. I like the idea that 'wolves' can refer to more than just the big guys from Thunderclap though. The fear gripping the town, for example, and of course that wolf wrapped in a lovely Susannah package... Mia. (Not that I'd count Suze as a sheep, and she's still in control most of the time.)

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM

I believe the going title was something like "The Creeping Shadow" or "The Shadow that Creeps". Just as well he didn't go with that one I reckon. It's a cool sounding name but a bit too vague for the contents of the book. I.e. The Crimson King is gathering his forces throughout the books in the background, and his 'shadow' stretches far. The collection of the kids is all part of that, as is what is happening to Susannah, but it's fitting that the name be tailored to specific events.

thankee-sai, you have spoke true.

Savoury
11-27-2008, 01:39 AM
I think it's all a matter of perspective. The title seems aptly chosen from the perspective of the Calla folken. I don't think Thunderclap (the defenition) means much to them. They live in their own secluded little world. A lot of people have had their sibling/child taken away from them so it affected a lot of people, so much that the Wolves were always a lurking danger in their mind (think about the people fearing the news Andy might bring).

I think the title of the book is spot on.

Sam
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
The way I saw it after I read it was that there was a double meaning. First you have the wolves that are plaguing the calla. The calla folken end up fighting them in the calla itself, thus Wolves of the Calla. The second meaning, and real meaning as I took it, also has to do with the fighting. Rather than referring to the wolves, I think it refers to the ka-tet. Roland and his ka-tet took the calla folken and led them to resist the wolves and in doing so were wolves themselves, devouring the cybernetic wolves as well as wolves devour sheep. Roland and his ka-tet were the "Wolves of the Calla". It's just my take on it, but there it is.

razz
11-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I had the impression that the "Wolves" from Thunderclap weren't the wolves King was referring to, but the wolves FROM the Calla. Wolves in sheep clothing, like Benjamin Slightman and Andy the Messenger Robot (many other functions)

Brainslinger
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I had the impression that the "Wolves" from Thunderclap weren't the wolves King was referring to, but the wolves FROM the Calla. Wolves in sheep clothing, like Benjamin Slightman and Andy the Messenger Robot (many other functions)

That makes a lot of sense actually.

I think it might be both.

And of course it was this book when they leart that those 'wolves' of a different kind were walking in on Calvin Tower and the rose. Sure, they weren't Calla wolves, but it was in the Callas that the ka-tet learnt of that particular threat.

Wuducynn
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM

That makes a lot of sense actually.

I think it might be both.

And of course it was this book when they leart that those 'wolves' of a different kind were walking in on Calvin Tower and the rose. Sure, they weren't Calla wolves, but it was in the Callas that the ka-tet learnt of that particular threat.

Both of your points are well taken. I agree, the title now makes sense to me.

at_one
12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
A lot of these takes on the book title are really good and I had similar views but I looked at it in a broader sense.....The ka-tet is on a long adventure and this is but one of their experiences, if say 10 or 20 years down the road they were to look back on the events of their quest they would probably say, "do you remember the Wolves of the Calla?"....the title is not so specific as to single one thing out, it groups a bunch of smaller events in a matter of a few words. Wolves of the Thunderclap, The Creeping Shadow, and The Shadow That Creeps are way to specific to generalize the whole book.

Another take on the title, Wolves of the Calla ..... OF used as a function word to indicate the cause, motive, or reason <died of flu> FROM used as a function word to indicate a starting point of a physical movement or a starting point in measuring or reckoning or in a statement of limits <came here from the city> ....maybe SK was not foolish for titling Wolves of the Thunderclap instead of Calla.

And one last idea- Thunderclap does not fit on the cover in that classic DT V font. :dance:

Whitey Appleseed
01-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Good question. Hadn't thought about it. Maybe we should. Other titles, as well, The Drawing of the Three, and all the intercourse that generated about who are the three.
Just after sunrise wouldn't have worked.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
it is an odd title. i agree, i also think it has to do with various things that happen. the shit that happens in New York in (1977) Eddie said it best in the book on how out of ALL the hoods that are in New York "Balazarr" shows up with his goons?

or something along the lines of that. they are wolves i guess as well. or Big coffin hunters which is almost the same thing. i also think the title refers to Donald Calhan. sorry for spelling it's quite late here. it's also a take on his name as well. i pretty much think the three that Roland Drew were jake, eddie., & Suze" someone on maybe IMDB or this board made a mentioned of the number 19 just showing up all of a sudden that is i think odd.

sorry for going off topic a bit. i was just thinking about that, that's all. anyways. i think that is makes sense if also MAINLY anyways has to do with the threat that wants the calla's kids.