PDA

View Full Version : A Huge Circle, 4 Elephants, and A Giant Turtle

Spencer
05-07-2008, 05:13 AM
I've been intrigued about the Discworld series by Terry Prachett for a while now, and the fantasy/satirical world it takes place in. I've read a short story that was in the Legends anthology, and loved it, but haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, probably because there are so many of them in the series. :lol:

Anyone read any of these books, what do you think? Any analysis of the Discworld itself?

http://www.lspace.de/books/covers/pic_tptdwm.jpg

OchrisO
05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Carpe Jugulum is probably by favorite Discworld book. I love the Nac Mac Feegle.

blackrose22
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Do yourself a big favour and read these books. I've read nearly all of them and loved each one of them. Start at the beginning and work your way through and discover the wonderful characters of Discworld that Terry Pratchett has invented and get to know and love them when you come across them again and again. The satirical wit and humour of Terry Pratchett is second to none and the sheer genius of his writing is incredible. Once you begin your voyage of discovery you won't be able to stop. After reading the first two books I started buying them four at a time so I wouldn't run out of these brilliant stories. With each book I got through I would think that one was his best till I started reading the next one so picking a favorite book or fave character from them is nearly impossible for me. Once you start you be kicking yourself you didn't do it sooner.

On a rather sad note Terry Pratchett is now suffering from a form of Alzheimer's Disease. When I heard about this it brought tears to my eyes. A great and talented mind been destroyed by such a horrible and ruthless disease.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
:) Ohhh boy Spencer, are you in for a treat! The nice thing about the Discworld is that you don't need to read the stories in order. There is a quick synopsis at the back of Mr. Pratchett's work that will fill you in on the basic details, but most of the books can stand alone. I'm terribly fond of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Sam Vimes and, of course, the Librarian... Who you should never, ever call a monkey. Oook! :beat:

Sadly, I heard over on the SKMB that Sai Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease... And he isn't even sixty yet. :(

Whoops! I see Blackrose already beat me to the sad news.

alinda
05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Spence, I'm not sure why I've not even heard of these
books before, honest I do leave the hospital from time to time.
I only have to read such glowing reports from you tho' dear and
I'm already planning a trip to the local book store to find some
Would the book shown be the first to read? I've been on the
hunt for something new and different, and a series is just the
thing. Of course I am saddened to hear of Mr Pratchett's
illness. Thats such a devastating disease :nope: sad.

OchrisO
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
The Light Fantastic is the first book he wrote in the series, if I remember correctly.

alinda
05-08-2008, 10:17 AM
*jots down title* Thanks !

MrsSmeej
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I've been intrigued about the Discworld series by Terry Prachett for a while now, and the fantasy/satirical world it takes place in. I've read a short story that was in the Legends anthology, and loved it, but haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, probably because there are so many of them in the series. :lol:

Anyone read any of these books, what do you think? Any analysis of the Discworld itself?

http://www.lspace.de/books/covers/pic_tptdwm.jpg

I was rereading a description of the Discworld the other day and it struck me how the great A'Tuin - the turtle on who's back the Discworld travels - seemed analogous to Maturin from The Dark Tower cycle. "See the turtle of enormous girth..." I seem to remember that there was a Beam of the Elephant, too. Or am I just reading to much into this? :unsure:

alinda
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I dont think so, I saw the same thing myself...
actually several cultures have tales of the
world being on a turtles back. It does indeed
have much in common with TDT in my eyes.
Any other simalarities in the stories?

Rjeso
05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The idea of the turtle and the elephants is not a new one by any means. See here: turtle mythology (http://petcaretips.net/turtles-tortoises-mythology-religion.html)

alinda
05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Yep, there are some there I hadnt known about.
Veeeery interesting :)

Rjeso
05-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, there were new ones for me too. Perty durn cool. :cowboy:

MrsSmeej
05-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Well, one of the books is called Small Gods... It's about a turtle who learns to fly... Sort of. :lol:

alinda
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
uh huh, care to elaborate?

MrsSmeej
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Well.... Many of Sai Pratchett's stories are thinly veiled satire of contemporary events. I suspect that Small Gods was a bit of a swipe at organized religion. On the Discworld, the size and power of a god are determined by the size and belief of their followers. A huge and powerful god is reduced to a barely-able-to-fly little turtle with only one simple minded follower. Seems the god's priests had come to worship the church more than him. Sounds preachy but is extremely funny.

Rjeso
05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Discworld for yeeeears, but I never remember to pick one up and give it a go. Maybe now I will. :D

alinda
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Well.... Many of Sai Pratchett's stories are thinly veiled satire of contemporary events. I suspect that Small Gods was a bit of a swipe at organized religion. On the Discworld, the size and power of a god are determined by the size and belief of their followers. A huge and powerful god is reduced to a barely-able-to-fly little turtle with only one simple minded follower. Seems the god's priests had come to worship the church more than him. Sounds preachy but is extremely funny.

Ahh I see, plenty of fodder in organized religion. I believe I will
diligently seek out these Discworld books as well. :fairy:

Darkthoughts
05-10-2008, 01:41 AM
The Colour of Magic is actually the first Discworld book ;)

I had not heard that news about Terry Pratchett. Thats geniunely sad.

Agathia
05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I've been reading these books for awhile now. Discworld series are hilarious, just make sure not do drink anything hot while you're reading them; that can be dangerous.:o
My favorite one so far is Sorcery and Going Postal. You don't really have to read them in order to catch on. I love Rincewind and Death.
There is nothing Prachett won't satirize.

Darkthoughts
05-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Good Omens that he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman, is also one I'd highly recommend :thumbsup:

MrsSmeej
05-13-2008, 06:06 AM
He has also written some really funny stories that you'll only find in the tween section of your local Barnes and Noble. They're called; The Wee Free Blue Men, A Hat Full of Sky (both have ties to the Discworld), and Maurice and His Amazing Trained Rats... A rather interesting version of the Pied Piper of Hamlin story.

Darkthoughts
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Theres also a third book in the Tiffany Aching series called The Wintersmith, which is fantastic :thumbsup:

MrsSmeej
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Thank you Darkthoughts... I'd forgotten that one.

Darkthoughts
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
No worries ;) Theres a few more kids ones too - Johnny and the Bomb, The Carpet People, Truckers...there might be more...?

MrsSmeej
05-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Hadn't heard about The Carpet People. Truckers is the first in a series called The Bromeliad Trilogy. Johnny and the Bomb is the last in his Johnny Maxwell Trilogy... Only You Can Save Mankind is one of my twelve year old's favorites.

And I'm sure you're right... There are probably a few more we're missing. Sai Pratchett is almost as prolific as Sai King, huh?

Darkthoughts
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Defo ;)

Hmm, I may be wrong about carpet people...I thought it was part of the Truckers series?

blackrose22
05-14-2008, 03:57 AM
Theres also a third book in the Tiffany Aching series called The Wintersmith, which is fantastic :thumbsup:

Loved that book but didn't realize that there is more Tiffany Aching books to be read. Must check out Terry Pratchett wedsite and get a complete list of his books.

Hadn't heard about The Carpet People. Truckers is the first in a series called The Bromeliad Trilogy. Johnny and the Bomb is the last in his Johnny Maxwell Trilogy... Only You Can Save Mankind is one of my twelve year old's favorites.

And I'm sure you're right... There are probably a few more we're missing. Sai Pratchett is almost as prolific as Sai King, huh?

So true TP is just like SK when you think you only have a few more of his books to read to finish his collection then you discover hes written about a dozen more books in the mean time:panic: . Reading can be an expensive hobby :P .

Lily-sai
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Now I've got a problem. I'm trying to remember something Pratchett once wrote in one of his books. It was something about when people die, they'll end up in places they expect themselves to end up in. Hell, Heaven, Middle-Earth, like that. Mayhap someone knows what I'm talking about and can point me into right direction? Please. :)

By the way, I'm a big fan of Pratchett. :wub:

Gris
05-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I haven't read any since the first 3 but loved them

The BBC movies are great.

Goblin
05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I've read nearly all of them over and over. They always cheer me up. (Incidentally Terry Pratchett used to live about twenty miles away from me, not sure whether he's moved south now though.)

I cried when I found out about his dementia. There was a doccumentary on a while ago and he was saying that he still has so many books inside his head but can't get them out properly any more.

DoctorDodge
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I need to read these books from the beginning. I've played the pc game Discworld Noir, and i absolutely LOVED it!

Books i do wanna read in the series are:
The Colour of Magic (because that's where it starts)
The Light Fantastic (because it's an actual sequal to TCoM)
The Fifth Elephant (just for the title)

And there's one i really, REALLY do wanna read but i have no idea what the title is. All i know is that it involves the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse. (Who left before the other 4 became famous! :lol: )

Lily-sai
05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Ooooohhh, Discworld Noir! *runs to my best friend Google*
(thanks for the tip! <3)

AcidBumbler
06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Discworld is amazing. Read it. Pratchett's got a wicked sense of humour, yet he manages to incorporate drama and characters which you get to really care about.