PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King being bashed re: Army comment

mae
05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/05/writer-stephen-king-if-you-cant-read-youll-end-army-or-iraq

Remember shortly before Election Day 2006 when Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) suggested that if you don't get a good education, "you get stuck in Iraq"?

Well, last month, famed horror author Stephen King was speaking in front of a group of high school students at the Library of Congress, and he virtually made the exact same statement.

For those that can bear it, what follows is another in a long line of liberal media members bashing the military:

I don't want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got, the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's, it's not as bright. So, that's my little commercial for that.

Nice sentiment when the nation is at war, Stephen.

Angry comments follow.

Matt
05-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I believe that SK has a right to his opinion and a right to say it.

The fact is that a lot of underprivileged people find their way to the military because you graduate high school with no prospects for college (for whatever reason)--the military is a heck of a way to build some kind of life beyond Pizza Hut and McDonalds.

So essentially his statement is correct but using the military as a starting point is not a bad thing imo.

Matt
05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Stephen King's reply as posted on SKMB

"That a right-wing-blog would impune my patriotism because I said children should learn to read, and could get better jobs by doing so, is beneath contempt. Noel Sheppard says, “Nice sentiment when the nation is at war, Stephen.” I guess he feels ignorance and illiteracy are OK when the country needs cannon-fodder. I guess he also feels that the war in Iraq has nationwide approval. Well, it doesn’t have mine. It is a waste of national resources. . . and that includes the youth and blood of the 4,000 American troops who have lost their lives there and for the tens of thousands who have been wounded. I live in a national guard town, and I support our troops, but I don’t support either the war or educational policies that limit the options of young men and women to any one career—military or otherwise. If you agree, find Sheppard on the internet, and send him an email: “Hi, Noel—Stephen King says to shut up and I agree.”

Steve"

jayson
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for posting the response Matt. It's interesting to read how SK responds to criticism like this.

“Nice sentiment when the nation is at war...”

I'm glad that this was the part that King chose to call the writer out on. The notion that any country is beyond criticism at "war time" is preposterous. If the troops really are "fighting for our freedom" like the pundits and the bumper-stickers claim, then surely expressing our freedom of speech is supporting the troops.

Matt
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree. Its the main point of my piss off about this.

I started a thread for former and current military personnel to let Stephen King know that he is free to voice his opinions no matter what they are.

That is what we fight for.

jayson
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I started a thread for former and current military personnel to let Stephen King know that he is free to voice his opinions no matter what they are.

that's a great idea.

Daghain
05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I grew up in a mainly blue collar neighborhood, and I can tell you, if you barely graduate high school, there are not a lot of opportunities out there for you, like Matt said. I found it interesting in my hometown that the highest concentration of recruiting offices were right near the schools in the worst part of town - let's face it, what other options do most of those kids have? I'm sure a regular paycheck and a chance to travel sounds a whole hell of a lot better than flipping burgers at Mickey D's. Besides, college is not for everyone, and the military can be good for some people - they can learn a skill and if they choose to go to college when they get out, they have the GI bill.

But King does have a point - some people who would have benefited from education didn't get it, and that's unfair.

mae
05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for posting King's reply. It's amazing he'd take time out to check the blog and write out a reply as he did, and so swiftly, too! Go Steve!

ladysai
05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Way to take the bull by the horns!
:clap:

That is what we fight for.
Damn straight.
:huglove:

ZoNeSeeK
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Fucking good on him for sticking to his guns.

Blanket statements like "The nation is at war" and branding like "liberal media members" are designed to discourage any kind of criticism and slap any kind of opposing opinion to government foreign policy into the "whinging liberalism" compartment. King was commenting on the state of the US education system and what that meant re: opportunities for young people who are being failed by this system. The same thing is happening here in a way, with illiteracy numbers growing alarmingly for high school students over the last decade or so - the only difference is that we have no upfront university fees for undergraduates and anyone over the age of 21 can take a mature age entry exam, so there's always a chance for someone to go back to study, even if they left school @ 15.

So instead of using dumb-down histrionic statements like "the nation is at war" (which sounds as though Canada has just mounted an invasion and Minnesota and the Dakotas are in flames), perhaps Sheppard should put his little old thinking cap on and look at your education system (which is essential for America to remain a great country in 2 decades) instead of defending a war which involves the majority of your forces mired down in the wrong bloody nation and is draining an economy teetering on the brink of recession.

Matt
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
I posted the following on the SKMB in support of Stephen Kings right to say what he likes in this country. Weather I agree or not.

I'm sorry if this thread seems self serving, its really to offer my support.

Even if you don't agree, you must agree with the fact that we all joined the military to preserve the thing that makes a free society unique.

That is the right to speak your mind--have your opinions.

The only thing that angers me about this whole thing is how reactionary people are. Is it a surprise that we can't get along as a country when something like this can be so polarizing? Not to me.

Stephen King has a right to his opinion, just like you do.

Think our country is going to hell in a hand basket? Good for you, I fought for your right to think that.

Think the war in Iraq is wrong? Good for you, I fought for the right for you to say that where ever and however you feel.

Have strong opinions on why people join the military. Good, in this country you can voice them.

Lets stop taking this so personally you guys--we live in a free society and we all want the same thing for it. To preserve it.

So from me to you SK--you go right on saying what you feel, that's what we all fought for.

I am now part of the focus of this guys right wing blog. :lol:

He thinks I was a plant because I spelled Solider wrong--obviously he doesn't know me at all. :nana:

MrsSmeej
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
:panic: It doesn't do to bait these guys Matt. They can get frightening if you become their target. :scared:

Matt
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I totally agree--however, I can't let his folks think I am a plant. :lol:

I'm an independent guy who is a veteran and wants to support King's rights to free speech.

I may let it go, I may sign up on the blog and give them what for.

Funniest part about this? I'm not really a liberal. :lol:

alinda
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
:orely: I personally do not think WAR is ever a good idea.
But by the same token Matt, I think your comments & SK's
are spot on. These statements and the right to express them
have been the very reason touted for fighting the wars to begin
with. Freedom to speak your mind and live free all come with
responsibilty that some folk can't seem to handle ( the I'm so
offended brigade) it seems enough to have them wanting to
start a whole new war over the personal feelings of common
men and women. I say "Hurray for You"!

MrsSmeej
05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I see what you're saying Matt. And I agree with you and Alinda that the freedoms we (former Navy, here) fought to protect are the ones Stephen is making use of... Still, I do wish he'd expressed himself a little more diplomatically. There were some seriously hurt feelings over on the SKMB. I really didn't think that the majority were trying to be trolls, either. Just seeking to correct a mistake. And it was a mistake... Literacy rates in the military are higher than those in the general population - lower recruiting standards or not. But, I don't think any of us speak as clearly off-the-cuff as we'd like... Apparently, not even Stephen.

alinda
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Quote MrsSmeej:
But, I don't think any of us speak as clearly off-the-cuff as we'd like... Apparently, not even Stephen.
In all seriousness, I agree with this, yet it seems to me the reactionary
response's are the more dangerous of the two. Oh if only dialog were
something humans were better at. Could be something could be taught
in all those schools that were spoken about?

P.S. Nice to have your input here MrsSmeej...welcome again!

MrsSmeej
05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Thank you Alinda... I just wish my first post were more in the lines of how wonderful I think Stephen's work is... Not about such a difficult topic as this.

And I'm afraid Logic and Rhetoric are Master's level courses these days.

jhanic
05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm a Vietnam veteran (not a Vietnam era veteran, I was there!) and I also defend King's right to say what he did, although I definitely DO NOT agree with it. I just wish his phraseology had been better. He comes across as an elitist, which, I am sure we all agree that he is not.

John

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
:lol: You got that right.

(see edit statement below)

ladysai
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
PFT!
To me this whole brouhaha suggests that we (as people in general) should spend more time listening to each other when we speak, and understanding that none of us speaks with total precision 100% of the time.
We can disagree in a civil manner, but I think we'd all disagree less if we paid attention to the intentions of the speaker.

I LOVE the idea that Matt is some great internet conspiracy leader. It gave me a good laugh to read that bit about the 'plant' in the messageboard. :lol:

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM

MrsSmeej
05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
An almost complete newb here guys. What is a "PFT"?

And, I'd long suspected that Matt was a covert operative. No one could be that nice for real. :unsure:

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
:rolleyes: its a sound one makes when having heard
something preposterous...

jayson
05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
it's been very interesting so far hearing from all of the veterans who have posted. it's a perspective on the situation that i don't have since i have never been in the military. it's refreshing to hear that what all of you seem to care the most about is King's right to express himself. :thumbsup:

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, maybe saying kids should learn to read
in school too. After all I wouldnt want to live
in a world without books in it!

MrsSmeej
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Thank you Alinda... :doh: Have I mentioned that I'm an idiot sometimes?

Quoting Thomas Jefferson, I see? Very appropriate. :clap:

alinda
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
:D This place grows on you pretty quickly
MrsSmeej. It can be downright addicting.
15 posts already.

Sorry...back on topic!

Matt
05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I LOVE the idea that Matt is some great internet conspiracy leader. It gave me a good laugh to read that bit about the 'plant' in the messageboard. :lol:

:wub:

I actually sent him a message, we'll see if he posts it on his blog. Really wish I would have copied it.

They are giving me hell on that misspelling, I said I was a bit dyslexic (which I may be with how bad my spelling is)

My wife: "You're a lover, not a speller" :lol:

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
They are giving me hell on that misspelling, I said I was a bit dyslexic (which I may be with how bad my spelling is)

You know what kinds of people do that, don't you?

Matt
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
:ninja:

Not sure I'll like the answer :lol:

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
People who can't win, and know it--so they try to make you look like an idiot instead.

Matt
05-06-2008, 01:23 PM
:rock:

I did like that. Thanks JandY.

I think you are totally correct, there is no way to attack the idea that we should have (and protect) free speech in this country so they had to go right to that.

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Exactly. Once they realize they can't win, then it's "Shut up."

I still remember the episode of All in the Family where Archie told Maude (trying to bait her) that this country was ruined by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Her witty retort: "You're fat."

So it works both ways.

alinda
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
You guys may have hit the preverbial head with a hammer there!
Anyway Matt, I'm glad that you stand your ground, and speak your
mind when an issuse is important. That again is exactly the point of
free speach being used responsibly.

mae
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
That Noel Sheppard is so narcissistic. He's already got two other blog entries about the King comment:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/05/e-mail-instructions-hi-noel-stephen-king-says-shut-i-agree

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/06/king-asks-fans-e-mail-nbs-sheppard-shuts-down-own-message-boards

The comments are as hateful as ever. Even from people that say they've enjoyed his books in the past but will no longer read him.

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
That's stupid. I've read books/watched movies made by people I didn't like, even though I didn't like the people themselves. I still liked the works they made. :P

mae
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I think he's just awed by the fact that such a famous person responded to his little blog. He can't believe that and trying to goad Stephen into writing more, I suppose. Very sad.

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I think he's just awed by the fact that such a famous person responded to his little blog. He can't believe that and trying to goad Stephen into writing more, I suppose. Very sad.

You may be right. Poor man.... :(

ATG
05-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I know what he said, here is what I believe he meant;
Soldiers are generally stupid. You would have to be stupid to march into machine gun fire or napalm a village. You'd have to be both stupid and evil to dream up a bio-weapon, and surely such thinking can only come from the military, which is made up of stupid people.

I absolutely support his right to be demeaning and insulting to millions of family members who ( maybe having been suckered or not, different topic ) joined the military after 9-11 to defend what we were told was a imminent threat to our way of life.

King has always been a liberal, and he wears it on his sleeves in his prose. Normally celebrity pontification annoys me, but I cut him slack because...well...he is the greatest writer in the history of writ.ing.

But what he did was to make a point about the war at the expense of American servicemen everywhere at a time when the subject was books and reading. Not saying he doesn't have a point, just saying it was rather clueless and classless to make it there and then.

That's why celebrities should stick to what they do best and leave the politics to workaday joes who are not worth a billion dollars or so.
I mean, he should speak at rallies, donate money, whatever floats his parties boat, but not resort to...attention whoring.

Sorry folks, it's how I feel.

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I almost agree with you. That's hardly the place for stating your feelings about something else.

However, I don't think he got detailed enough to justify your reaction--that's just my opinion. Had he seized the opportunity and made a sermon there, I'd agree with you. But he just made an off-the-cuff remark (probably for a laugh), hardly worth such a reaction.

Honestly, I'm reminded of John Lennon's "We're more popular than Jesus now." Put in context, there was no reason to hone in on that and vilify either him personally or the Beatles in general as a result.

ATG
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and I almost agree with you. That's hardly the place for stating your feelings about something else.

However, I don't think he got detailed enough to justify your reaction--that's just my opinion. Had he seized the opportunity and made a sermon there, I'd agree with you. But he just made an off-the-cuff remark (probably for a laugh), hardly worth such a reaction.

Honestly, I'm reminded of John Lennon's "We're more popular than Jesus now." Put in context, there was no reason to hone in on that and vilify either him personally or the Beatles in general as a result.

You may a good point.

I am a fan. My position is of a deep and profound love for the mans collective work.
I certainly would not be so foolish to deprive myself of his next book because of a comment I don't agree with.

Daghain
05-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I too despise celebrities using their fame to further their political agenda, but I think JandY is right - I think King just made the comment at the spur of the moment, and didn't think much of it at the time. Like we all do. Every day.

The people that crack me up are the ones that now have their panties all in a wad about it and will never read a King book again.

It's called perspective, people. Get some. :lol:

Matt
05-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Soldiers are generally stupid. You would have to be stupid to march into machine gun fire or napalm a village. You'd have to be both stupid and evil to dream up a bio-weapon, and surely such thinking can only come from the military, which is made up of stupid people.

I absolutely support his right to be demeaning and insulting to millions of family members who ( maybe having been suckered or not, different topic ) joined the military after 9-11 to defend what we were told was a imminent threat to our way of life.

I do not agree with this at all ATG. I believe military service is a very noble calling and the people who decide to do it understand that their are sometimes things that are bigger than themselves.

I don't consider my self stupid for joining, it was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I'm also very proud of my son-in-law who is active duty now. It takes a hero, not an idiot, to do the things you mentioned above.

With that being said, I totally support your right to an opinion on the subject so I am glad you put it in here.

NeedfulKings
05-07-2008, 05:44 AM
I'll weigh in on this more later. I served between 1985 and 1995. When I was recruited, I was graduating High School (by some miracle! lol), getting into drugs, not working, living in a small rural town and had no idea of my future. I thank the military for giving me the one thing I didn't have. Motivation.

There were some interesting men and women I served and their intelligence was never questioned. King spoke his mind, and that's his right. The soldiers are the ones we see every day on our TV and in our newspapers. They can be an easy target.

As for reading, I first read The Stand, Uncut and a lot of other books while serving in the Gulf War. Touche'. :)

Nerak
05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Noel Sheppard and his gang are a bunch of fucktards!

I cannot believe how they are attacking King.

I am sorry that they don't approve of what he said, but some of the things they are saying about him have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand.

Can't wait til Ms Mod comes back and we get to see what happens!!

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 06:13 AM
I hesitate to jump in here again, but I just didn't see the comment as a slam on the military. Stephen King is an horror author... His first instinct is to scare people - something at which he excels. And lets face it, what could be more frightening than what our military personnel and their families are going through right now? It seemed to me that Sai King was employing a scare tactic - read or else the boogeyman will get you. Not an attack on the troops, whom he clearly supports. He, like I, just think they need a better Commander in Chief.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:32 AM
If every idiot with an ignorant opinion and a blog actually went overseas to fight instead of sitting on their asses typing, the 4000 dead wouldn't matter to me as much as it does.

Ah, two birds with one stone...

mae
05-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Noel just can't let this go:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/06/ap-stephen-king-fires-back-after-newsbusters-blogger-attacks-remarks

Jean
05-07-2008, 06:40 AM
King spoke his mind, and that's his right.
indubitably.

Just like it's, indubitably, my right to be confirmed, once again, in my opinion that authors of fiction are much more intelligent when they write fiction than when they speak their mind.

Matt
05-07-2008, 06:43 AM
This is in response to a post further up :D

I totally agree on that score. And I believe this is a conversation we can have with civil tones so I am glad everyone is comfortable chiming in.

ATG
05-07-2008, 06:46 AM
King spoke his mind, and that's his right.
indubitably.

Just like it's, indubitably, my right to be confirmed, once again, in my opinion that authors of fiction are much more intelligent when they write fiction than when they speak their mind.

Matt
05-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I suppose I can agree on that but I still think that SK shouldn't have to worry about speaking his opinion. So folks don't agree...who cares?

I tried to post an analogy on that persons blog but he wouldn't put it up.

Being insulted about what King said is like the following:

Suppose I say something like..."I don't let my dog sleep in my bed, I find it disgusting"

Lets say you hear that and do let your dog sleep in the bed.

You respond to me with..."you think I'm disgusting!!"

To that I say..."no, that was my personal opinion for me"

Its an example but it illustrates why I could never be offended by someones personal opinion. That's about them, not about me.

mae
05-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm just amazed that such an offhand comment really was so blown out of proportion and had its meaning distorted by these rightwing bloggers.

I think it's clear to anyone that what King meant by his comment was that those that struggle with school and reading will have much less opportunities in life.

Matt
05-07-2008, 07:07 AM
I think it's clear to anyone that what King meant by his comment was that those that struggle with school and reading will have much less opportunities in life.

I think that is exactly what he meant to say. Very well put Pablo and I really wish he would have just used that. :lol:

ATG
05-07-2008, 08:27 AM

I do not agree with this at all ATG. I believe military service is a very noble calling and the people who decide to do it understand that their are sometimes things that are bigger than themselves.

I don't consider my self stupid for joining, it was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I'm also very proud of my son-in-law who is active duty now. It takes a hero, not an idiot, to do the things you mentioned above.

With that being said, I totally support your right to an opinion on the subject so I am glad you put it in here.

Note I wasn't saying what I think of soldiers, but what I think King thinks of soldiers.

I think that is exactly what he meant to say. Very well put Pablo and I really wish he would have just used that. :lol:

I bet he wishes he had too.
Calling for a email attack was not wise.

bodacious ta-tas
05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi, all. Haven't been here in awhile (hangs head, shuffles feet), sorry. I see Mrs. Smeej is here, HI!! (Rose Key from SKMB).
Now, then, I tried to register to Shepard's Blog to advise him that Steve did not close down his website because of Shepard and his fans. Also that the Moderator had planned to go on vacation a while ago, and had informed the members there of this fact at least 6 days ago. I have not been allowed to complete my registration, and it galls me that the people on his blog are saying that Steve's fans are not standing up for him. Well, we can't get through!!!:pullhair:
You can disagree with what he said, but why is everything he says so dissected? It's a shame the man can't say anything without causing such an uproar. We are all human, and sometimes don't think through every word we utter before we utter it. I'm sure whatever job he picked to illustrate his point about literacy would have elicited some angry responses.:panic: :shoot:

Matt
05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
That last line is a good point bodacious (great to see you by the way). Could be that in our current cultural comment there is no way he could have said in a way that didn't piss someone off. :lol:

Unless he said what Pablo posted above.

Brice
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
That's why celebrities should stick to what they do best and leave the politics to workaday joes who are not worth a billion dollars or so.

?????

What does what he's worth have to do with any of this?

So...just because a person becomes famous they shouldn't say what they think and feel? That's ludicrous and irrational! His right to speak his mind is the same as yours or mine...no more...no less. I really don't think King intended any offense to the soldiers who are in the military. I think maybe King worded what he was trying to say a little poorly. This whole situation to me is blown completely out of proportion.

Brice
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi, all. Haven't been here in awhile (hangs head, shuffles feet), sorry. I see Mrs. Smeej is here, HI!! (Rose Key from SKMB).
Now, then, I tried to register to Shepard's Blog to advise him that Steve did not close down his website because of Shepard and his fans. Also that the Moderator had planned to go on vacation a while ago, and had informed the members there of this fact at least 6 days ago. I have not been allowed to complete my registration, and it galls me that the people on his blog are saying that Steve's fans are not standing up for him. Well, we can't get through!!!:pullhair:
You can disagree with what he said, but why is everything he says so dissected? It's a shame the man can't say anything without causing such an uproar. We are all human, and sometimes don't think through every word we utter before we utter it. I'm sure whatever job he picked to illustrate his point about literacy would have elicited some angry responses.:panic: :shoot:

I registered also and then I got an email with a password. When I went and logged in though it said access denied.

jhanic
05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I've not even tried to register. My daddy always told me not to argue with fools.

John

Matt
05-07-2008, 09:10 AM
He won't let me on either even though I mentioned he already quoted me in his blog. <_<

And I agree Brice. The right to voice your opinion should not be based on how famous you are. The cycle is simple.

He says what he thinks. People get pissed--some stop buying his books

Some don't and don't care. That is the risk he takes and I am sure he is well aware of that.

ladysai
05-07-2008, 09:30 AM
He won't let me on either even though I mentioned he already quoted me in his blog. <_<

That's ABSURD!
How can he single you out for criticism and then refuse to let you respond to his comment?!
:pullhair:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the good ol' USA...
if you hold dear the privilege of voicing your opinion, be happy,
since the founders and defenders of this country have granted you that privilege.
But also understand, that with that privilege comes the responsibility to allow your fellow Americans to express their opinions, whether their opinion agrees with yours or not.

Sometimes I wonder if we spend too much time worrying about our rights that we lose sight of our responsibilities to each other.

Brice
05-07-2008, 09:52 AM

And I agree Brice. The right to voice your opinion should not be based on how famous you are. The cycle is simple.

He says what he thinks. People get pissed--some stop buying his books

Some don't and don't care. That is the risk he takes and I am sure he is well aware of that.

I'm gonna' email him and see why he says I'm not approved. I'm just curious what he'll say.

I just love the people on that site talking about how they used to be big fans of him and how NOW they're gonna' get rid of all their first editions. :rofl:

jayson
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I just love the people on that site talking about how they used to be big fans of him and how NOW they're gonna' get rid of all their first editions. :rofl:

Just like the people in the 60's who claimed to be such big Beatles' fans and then lined up to burn their records bc they were upset about Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" remark. Even if I were offended by King's comments [which I am not], it might make me not want to read anything he put out in the future, but I don't see how it could retroactively change my opinion about books I already read and enjoyed. If you do get on their Brice, tell them to send any first editions our way. I'd be happy to take them off of their hands for them. :lol:

Brice
05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry, my friend you gotta' get in line behind me. :D

Anyhow...I clicked the contact link and apparently it takes up to a week for accounts to be activated.

And yes, that's exactly what it's like. Personally I don't care what Steve's politics are. I just enjoy his stories. If he were a total asshole I still would. *shrug*

And sorry, but at the time The Beatles popularity was giving Jesus a run for his money. :lol:

mae
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't know if this is related but I have a feeling it is. Take a look at the edit history of Stephen King's Wikipedia article, for instance here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stephen_King&diff=next&oldid=210803072 It's being constantly defaced by vandals for the last couple of days non-stop.

Matt
05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
That is horrible :(

I can't believe people.

Daghain
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Jesus, don't people have better things to do with their time? Honestly.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I knew this was going to be trouble as soon as I saw the link to Ann Coulter at that website... She's rabid. I hope this doesn't turn into another Jane Fonda thing. :scared:

Hi Bodacious/Rose Key. I thought I recognized your avatar.
(I miss mine.)

Daghain
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Nice to know the nutbar contingent is alive and well, anyway. :lol:

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Sadly, they seem to be growing healthier every day.

Matt
05-07-2008, 01:04 PM
:lol:

Yeah they do, I searched the internet for information on it, there are several blogs with the same bullcrap info. I'm doing my best to represent.

Daghain
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Matt, you can't argue with stupid. :lol:

Matt
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I know but this person seems pretty civil about it. I told her it was wrong as fuck that people would personally attack him the way they have when his comment could have been considered an insult but not personal.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
:( With Ms. Mod on vacation, I hope someone is letting Stephen know that things are getting ugly out there. I'd hate for this to be a full blown feud by the time she gets back. I do wish Mr. King hadn't called for an e-mail campaign. It just seemed to add more fuel to the fire.

Matt
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I totally agree, if there was a problem in this whole thing, it was that.

But I am sure it will blow over before the week is out MrsSmeej--I just hate to see all that nasty stuff about him out there and it seems like if one person goes out there and states the facts, it shuts them up.

-has a right to his opinion
-hasn't personally attacked anyone (as they have)
-huge supporter of the troops and has proven it.

B0BAFETISH
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree with Stephen King, this war is not valid but I do support the troops as well. In fact, I work for the ARMY as a civillian. I work with them everyday, some of them are intelligent people but your ability to think for yourselves can be a little restricted at times. I began reading King novels when I was at sea in the Navy and found it to be a pleasant,although temporary, release from a floating prison. You got me through two 6 month deployment with my sanity intact Mr. King and for that, I say thankee sai.

Bev Vincent
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
He's aware of what's going on. I think this will die off within a few news cycles. The attention span for things like this is very short.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope you're right Matt and Bev. Unfortunately, we have a family friend - a retired Admiral who spent time with McCain at the Hanoi Hilton - who never got over his intense animosity towards Jane Fonda. He has a grave marker with her name and date of birth on it. He swears he's waiting for the day he can carve in the last date and throw a party. Fortunately, Stephen wasn't sitting on any gun emplacements and lamenting the lack of targets... It's just that right wing radicals seem much more effective at stirring up controversy these days. If O'Reilly or Hannity or Coulter get a hold of this and decide to run with it I worry things could get out of hand.

Matt
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Its already been on those shows actually. At least the Fox News Channel. I caught it on Fox and Friends the other morning and they were actually really good about it. Didn't bash him at all.

And Bev is totally right of course. In fact, I think Indiana and North Carolina last night effectively killed it in the news.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
:) I feel better already. :clap:

John_and_Yoko
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I hope you're right Matt and Bev. Unfortunately, we have a family friend - a retired Admiral who spent time with McCain at the Hanoi Hilton - who never got over his intense animosity towards Jane Fonda. He has a grave marker with her name and date of birth on it. He swears he's waiting for the day he can carve in the last date and throw a party. Fortunately, Stephen wasn't sitting on any gun emplacements and lamenting the lack of targets... It's just that right wing radicals seem much more effective at stirring up controversy these days. If O'Reilly or Hannity or Coulter get a hold of this and decide to run with it I worry things could get out of hand.

You know, even if I agreed 100% with all the people who are bashing Stephen King for what he said (or anything else anyone else said or did), that kind of thing is just not healthy. To let someone else have that much control over your life, to the point where you look forward to their death so you can celebrate?

Even if that person actually did appear to deserve it, that's carrying things way too far--besides, what about after that person actually does die? Are you going to seek out someone else you declare "evil" and wait for their demise too?

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
:( I agree John and Yoko. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that most of the POWs from the Hilton were not entirely rational in their sentiments regarding Ms. Fonda.

mae
05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
What I personally can't get over is comments on Sheppard's blog that go something like this: "I've read lots of King books, I loved The Stand, but now hearing that comment I am throwing all his books in the garbage." Someone even wrote that they had a book signed personally by King and will be sending that book back to him with a nasty note...

Boggles the mind.

MrsSmeej
05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
As someone else said earlier in this thread, I'll be happy to get in line to relieve them of the burden. :)

Matt
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
:o

Seriously!

We could turn this to our advantage and say we are going to be the "book burning" depot for all collectible King books.

Obviously we would just keep the books :ninja:

mae
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
This is getting silly now:

http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=164036&zoneid=500

The ensuing flap drew a response Wednesday from U.S. Army spokesman Paul Boyce, who said most soldiers are avide readers and that military recruits test above the national average in reading and vocabulary skills.

"America’s soldiers are proudly serving and fighting for us all. We can be proud of our soldiers’ selfless service, their skill and their ingenuity. They certainly are role models for every high-school student in America considering a noble career ... and many book authors," Boyce said.

King’s office couldn’t be reached immediately for comment Wednesday.

Sheppard, of course, has jumped on this already: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/07/military-members-respond-horror-authors-illiteracy-army-comment

The Man With No Name
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
My opinion:

No one is questioning his right to say anything. No one is saying he hasn't a right to his opinion. But sometimes there are consequences for the things we say or for living by a certain set of beliefs. Some will take exception and voice their opinions in return. There is no such thing as "Live And Let Live".

We have wonderful freedoms in America. One of them is freedom of speech. But what we have to understand is that with freedom comes responsibility even with our speech, especially in public.

NeedfulKings
05-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not that hurt by SK's comment personally. I do think that we're living in a time where stereotyping people is not healthy. I'm sure there are a LOT of professions out there that have folks who didn't do so well in reading.

I love King. I honor his opinion. I think this particular statement was a bit boneheaded.

Daghain
05-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, yeah, he stuck his foot in his mouth. I do that like 10,000 times a day. :lol:

Having said that, people need to GET A GRIP already. Why is this a big deal? Is this seriously the biggest problem we have right now? If it is, I think we can safely tell CNN and Fox News to shut down and go home. Really.

I am so tired of the PC bullshit. The man is entitled to his opinion. He didn't sugarcoat it. Oh, the horror! Sheesh.

NeedfulKings
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
LOL, Daghain...my foot resides in my mouth a lot too!! :D

I think King's comments are only a big deal to the men, women, and family members who are/were in the Army. Being one, I'm not that deeply hurt, but it does phase me. CNN and FOX can go screw themselves--unless they've been there!

I also think that stereotyping and being PC are two totally separate things.

My opinion. :)

John_and_Yoko
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I think they overlap, really.

Being PC is effectively bending over backwards not to offend certain people--which says what about your opinion of them? They're an irate people who will cause havoc if they even perceive something as the least bit offensive?

Sounds like stereotyping to me....

Daghain
05-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Needful, I honestly don't think King was stereotyping...foot in mouth, yes. Dumbass moment knowing he's in the public eye and probably should keep his opinions to himself? Yes. But I honestly don't see any attitude or maliciousness behind it.

I totally understand why people in the armed services would be upset about it, but I think the media has encouraged a knee-jerk reaction to this spur-of-the-moment off-the-cuff comment that is totally not warranted. People need to get over themselves, already.

If you seriously joined the armed forces to serve and protect, and to ensure our freedoms, INCLUDING the right to free speech, regardless of whether or not you agree with what is said, you won't be keeping yourself up nights being offended about what a bestselling author said off the top of his head.

Just sayin'.

ATG
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Okay, yeah, he stuck his foot in his mouth. I do that like 10,000 times a day. :lol:

Having said that, people need to GET A GRIP already. Why is this a big deal? Is this seriously the biggest problem we have right now? If it is, I think we can safely tell CNN and Fox News to shut down and go home. Really.

I am so tired of the PC bullshit. The man is entitled to his opinion. He didn't sugarcoat it. Oh, the horror! Sheesh.

yup, sticking ones foot in ones mouth.

I did it here one drunken night and was so embarrassed I had to take a 1-2 month break from the site.

Hopefully King will feel compelled to use a little more tact in the future.

There was a window where he could have clarified what he meant, but his ego got the better of him and he called for a email attack. Bad idea.

But the response of that bloggers automatons reminds me of the Zombies from The Cell.:ninja:

Daghain
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, you know how it is. You stick your foot in your mouth, and for some insane reason you decide to just go all the way with it, because you're too embarassed to admit you've been an ass.

Or he is just pissed at this total jackass and decided to fight back.

Either way, it's a total waste of time, IMHO. We have bigger things to worry about. Seriously, if this is Sheppard's biggest problem, he needs to get the fuck over himself, already. Unless, of course, he is trying to get his fifteen minutes of fame on the coattails of Stephen King. :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
05-08-2008, 12:49 AM
...Unless, of course, he is trying to get his fifteen minutes of fame on the coattails of Stephen King. :lol:
Oh , I've no doubt at all about that.

What King said was not a deliberate & direct attack, imho. (just the old foot-in-mouth as agreed by many above - & Gan knows we're all prone to it.)
But it was ill-thought-out (if thought-out at all).
Should he still clarify/apologise? It would take a big man to tackle it that way at this stage. Or is it best just left alone?

Bev Vincent
05-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Follow-up interview with SK in Bangor Daily News (http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=164062&zoneid=500)

ladysai
05-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for posting the link, Bev. It's good to see SK's side of the story getting out there.
:)

different_seasons
05-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Follow-up interview with SK in Bangor Daily News (http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=164062&zoneid=500)

Yup, front page with a picture. His name is in the BDN every other day for something or other.

Nerak
05-08-2008, 05:56 AM
That was a good article!!

Thanks Bev!

Matt
05-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Very good interview and I am glad he is not backing down. I've actually tried to arrange this in my mind because I am not the type to support blindly, even when its Stephen King. :lol:

I have a hard time believing that SK did not know that you had to know how to read to get into the Army. I have decided he was probably using the word "read" as a (poor) metaphor for higher education. Meaning a general term for those who come out of highschool and are under educated.

For those people the choices are very limited, I know that from personal experience. Because of my school experience, I will never be an archaeologist or teacher... I don't regret my choice to join the military but I do wish there would have been a few more things I could have done. My daughter says the same.

So I do agree with King and its not just because I am a fan. Lower educated people (can't read) do not have many choices available to them and that's not cool.

Bev Vincent
05-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Check out some of the sidebar associated features, too.

King's comment is very much that of someone who lived through Vietnam era policies. Think of the title story in Hearts in Atlantis -- people who became obsessed with the card game and failed out were sent overseas.

ladysai
05-08-2008, 06:34 AM
So I do agree with King and its not just because I am a fan. Lower educated people (can't read) do not have many choices available to them and that's not cool.

Lower educated people will always have limited opportunities. What's not cool is the lack of quality, accessible education for all.

I get the impression that that is what SK was trying to say; that we'd all be better off if our country spent more money and effort on educating our youth than on sending them to war.

Matt
05-08-2008, 06:36 AM
I totally agree ladysai, that is the entire point I believe.

bodacious ta-tas
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Check out some of the sidebar associated features, too.

King's comment is very much that of someone who lived through Vietnam era policies. Think of the title story in Hearts in Atlantis -- people who became obsessed with the card game and failed out were sent overseas.

That's exactly what was on my mind yesterday as I was driving home from work: Hearts in Atlantis and Vietnam. If you weren't going to college, or if you flunked out, you were drafted. It was a scary thing back then, and I can't see why it isn't still scary. You're right about that mindset, Bev, people who lived through that can understand the relationship between education, and being drafted to fight in a war.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Same in the UK. When I was a kid we had various pass grades with expected jobs.
A - Leader
B - Managerial
C - Comercial
D - Factory worker
E - Council worker
F - Cannon fodder (Armed Forces)

Brice
05-08-2008, 07:55 AM
What is a council worker? :unsure:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
What is a council worker? :unsure:

Local government manual worker.
Binman is an example. (trash collector)

Matt
05-08-2008, 08:01 AM
To be sure. And I am positive King understands that there is a basic entry level exam that you must pass (ASVAB) that includes reading.

I just think he was trying to say that education is the key to giving our children choices.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, 20 years ago, the army "helped" my cousin pass the ASVAB, because he was too stupid to do it on his own. There's always a way around the system.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
From Wikipedia:
The King's shilling - for many years a soldier's daily pay, before stoppages - was the shilling given to recruits of the British army and the Royal Navy of the 18th and 19th centuries. The expression, 'to take the King's shilling' meant that a man agreed to serve as a soldier

Recruiters of the time used all sorts of tricks, most involving strong drink, to press the shilling on unsuspecting victims. The man did not formally become a soldier until attested before a Justice of the Peace, and could still escape his fate by paying his recruiter 'smart money' before attestation. In the 1840's this amounted to £1 (twenty shillings), a sum most recruits were unlikely to have at hand.

I don't think it has changed much here :D

Matt
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure about that but I have limited experience. I joined in Mississippi and was not helped in anyway with my ASVAB--nor have I ever heard a story that someone was. And I have talked to ALOT of soldiers. :lol:

I believe the idea that some kids are "shanghaied" into the military (in the US) these days is mostly a myth.

Now...if they have a person that really wants to be in and is not able to meet the standard, I suppose there is probably a way that gets done.

Its very bad business for the army (learned in Vietnam) to have people in that don't want to be there. My son-in-law was offered ways out all the way through training because its dangerous to have people who don't want to be there in combat situations, for everyone.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh, he wanted to be there. It was Michigan in the 80's and there were no jobs to be had anywhere.

Brice
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I have heard of "help" being offered to those who needed it/wanted to be there.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
This kid definitely needed it. His biggest achievement in high school was his perfect attendance award. My mom is still laughing about that, because my idiot aunt was so proud of it. Let's just say my dad's side of the family is not exactly a group of stellar thinkers. :lol:

Matt
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
And in those cases I think it is a good thing. Some people are tailor made for military service.

Give that poor kid a chance. How's he doing now Daggers?

Daghain
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I have no idea. We stopped talking to that side of the family when my dad died 8 years ago.

If he takes after his siblings, he's probably in prison now. :lol:

Bev Vincent
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
And then there's this (http://www.shutupnoelsheppard.com/)

Matt
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Yep--I was wondering if that had been posted yet.

I am considering a page for his support on this site as well.

CyberGhostface
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Here's another right-winger ranting about King. **WARNING**, he spoils the ending for It if you haven't read it yet.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/9669/

jhanic
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I would like to suggest this discussion be moved from The Oracle to a forum more suited to it. It's no longer breaking news.

John

mae
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Sheppard just won't quit: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/07/wednesday-funnies-halp-us-stevin-kenk-we-r-stuck-hear-n-irak

I think he wants to become famous and he's realizing the story's dying.

Matt
05-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know I have created a page on the site dedicated to this. Just to show our support.

http://www.thedarktower.org/index.php?page=skfansunite

MrsSmeej
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Matt... :unsure: I think that is a terrific idea. If it is going to be something that Mr. Sheppard's fans might see, you might consider editing #2. I think you meant could instead of call. I'd hate to have them picking on you again

Matt
05-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you, I read it over and over and knew I might miss something. I need to employ a full time proofreader. :lol:

Fixed now

Daghain
05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I just want to point out that if you put up a support page for King, you're going to get all the nutjobs joining the site to bitch about it.

Just sayin'.

ManOfWesternesse
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Well done Matt..... and if we get a few nutjobs in the bargain - make 'em as welcome as the rest of us I say! :lol:

alinda
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
That real nice Matt. I wish that the folks
who got so bent out of shape over this
had the opportunity to see it.
Pehaps I will use the copier @ the hospital
and run off a couple copies to post
around campus. (if those idiots are still
running around bitching about it.)

Nerak
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Post the link at the Bangor Daily News site, I am sure that it will get back to Noel..

Matt
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
That's a good idea Karen, I will do that.

Thanks for the love you guys, it was a throw together but I think google will pick it up soon.

And if we get nutjobs...we'll make King proud in our attempts to change their opinion. :lol:

mae
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I need to employ a full time proofreader. :lol:

[Raises hand] :cool:

Fixed should also be:

"It is this site's determination that"
"their 15 minutes of fame at Stephen King's expense"
"I will make sure they find good homes"

Matt
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Pablo!!

fixed

alinda
05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Lets remember those nut jobs will have our phone #'s and addresses.
I for one am not scared! :scared:

Daghain
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
And now you know why I don't give that info out over the 'net. :lol:

Matt
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
:lol:

Guests to the site cannot see the off topic forums.

If they join up, we'll make sure to keep everyone safe. Not only that but the site is WIDE OPEN to anyone so this may not be the only kind of nutjob we get now or in the future. :couple:

Daghain
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
True. I just like to cover all the bases. :)

alinda
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
True, true and I was joking, that does not scare me at all.
That there are people as narrowminded and reactionary does.

mae
05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Goddamn that Sheppard is getting on my nerves now. The dude needs to chill! Now he's put up a poll: http://newsbusters.org/polls/have-stephen-kings-anti-military-comments-made-you-less-likely-buy-his-books-21057

Current numbers:

Have Stephen King's Anti-military Comments Made You Less Likely to Buy His Books?

Yes, I liked him previously 42% (1683 votes)
No, I'd still read 5% (199 votes)
No, I didn't like him before 51% (2045 votes)
Undecided 2% (68 votes)

Total votes: 3995

I'm one of the 199 :(

Daghain
05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Well, if he'd let any King fans post on his site...

Meh. The guy is just an immature attention whore. If everyone would just ignore him, he'd find some other celebrity to bash soon enough. I wonder what Paris Hilton is up to these days...:lol:

Matt
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
While I agree that he is an attention seeker, his comments are being carried on large news organizations and after thinking about it...I believe its our responsibility to try and counter the lies as much as possible.

Its not fair that SK would lose readership over this thing when he is lying and distorting the facts the way he is.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
You know, I'd put good money down to bet most of the people who are saying they will never read King again really haven't read him in the first place.

Everybody just wants to be on the bandwagon.

mae
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Of all the insipid and outright moronic comments on Sheppard's blog this has to take the fucking cake, pardon my French - by one EllisWyatt:

Honestly, I wouldn't give him this much publicity. He's only saying things like this to draw attention to himself.

Yes, he means Stephen King.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
OMG LOLOLOL!

Pot, kettle, black? :lol:

mae
05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
And another thing, how is it that these linguists crying bloody murder that Stephen King has insulted the Army by calling them illiterate can't comprehend simple English words, and are instead putting words into Stephen's mouth that he never said. What Stephen said was: "If you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that." That's it. He never said those that are in the Armed Forces are stupid and illiterate. He was talking to highschoolers and meant them. Those taking offense are extrapolating way too much out of a very simple and clear phrase.

Matt
05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I totally agree Pablo--I really considered this stuff because it would be crazy to support him without a clear reason. I really believe he did not mean it the way people took it.

I also happen to know that the man is a highly educated and clear thinker--even in the video, you see him trying to choose his words carefully but there is no way to do that in the current climate.

I am trying to start a letter writing campaign to the Bangor International Airport to return King items to the shelves for their greeters to hand out.

I have personally received one of these books and it made me feel good on one of the worst days of my life (leaving the US with the possibility of no return.)

Here is what I wrote them:

Hello,

I am a fan of Stephen King and a former solider in the US military.

On one of my deployments to the Gulf in the early 90's, I had the pleasure of receiving a King book for my travels.

It was an amazing experience and since I was already a fan, it meant even more.

I understand your greeters have removed all of Kings work based on comments made about our service men and women.

I believe the comment was not designed to insult soldiers but only to illustrate the idea that kids should have choices leaving high school.

Please reconsider taking his books off the shelves, there would be so many service people that would lose because of that decision. If he was supporting that way 15 years ago and still is today, I believe his dedication to the men and women who serve this country is clear.

Matt Rayne
Owner
TheDarkTower.comIf you would like to send them a message--please follow the link provided.

http://www.flybangor.com/contactus.html

Phone Number if you would like to call: 1-866-359-2264

Unfound One
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
So... I'm back at home where Fox News is permanently on (gotta love my mother) and if anybody cares to hear his opinion, O'Reilly is doing a small segment tonight on all this SK drama.
His show just started, it'll probably be at the end, if anybody's interested.
I'm just curious to see what O'Reilly has to say about in his No Spin Zone. ;)

Nerak
05-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Some people have nothing better to do, huh???

I really hope that Sai King is doing ok with all this. I know it's not fun to have such bad publicity over something that is taken so out of context.

And he has such a loyal fan base that I don't think that he needs to worry about a decline in book sales over this! :lol:

Unfound One
05-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Well hey, I'm pleasantly surprised with Bill tonight. And that's saying something. :lol:

I don't have a direct quote, but he basically said:
I don't think he meant to intentionally insult the troops. He's just and author who should stick to writing instead of public speaking.

So there ya go.

mae
05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Not verbatim, but he said "he's better at writing than speaking" - but he also called him a pinhead, unless I heard wrong.

Unfound One
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
You heard right. That's O'Reilly for ya- everybody's either a patriot or a pinhead according to him.
Sigh.

Matt
05-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Some of you may have guessed that when I heard that these items had been removed from the airport, I felt like that was something we might be able to help with.

So I created an online petition that I would like you guys to look at. It was top of the list for "free online petition" from Google and I want to make sure it works before really putting it out there.

Petition to return Stephen King items to the Bangor International Airport (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/531053217)

I would LOVE it if everyone read it for mistakes--you have to scroll through it at the top. Much of what is there was copied from the story at ShutUpNoelSheppard.com (http://www.shutupnoelsheppard.com/), which is in support of King. Dora did a close run through but things can always be missed. :fairy:

If you sign it, would you please post here so I can try to keep track? I'm hoping for 1000 signatures (totally free of course) and we have someone gathering information on who to present it to...probably the Bangor Chamber of Commerce.

Thanks. :grouphug:

Nerak
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
done and sent it onto at least 15 friends, including, Bev and Joe Hill

sarah
05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
done. :) thanks matt

Matt
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Dangit!!

Would you guys hit it again please. I had no idea it needed me to sign first, its fixed now.

I appreciate the help with the test, its all set up.

Jean
05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I have signed; whatever he said (I still don't like it in the least) or will ever say, it can't touch his books in any way, and the more people read them, the better place this world will be. And depriving soldiers of any pleasure, be it food for body or soul, is an act of mindless cruelty that can never be justified.

(while was at it, signed the Polar Bear petition too, of course...)

ManOfWesternesse
05-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Signed

Nerak
05-09-2008, 01:02 AM
done..............again :lol:

Old Man Splitfoot
05-09-2008, 01:12 AM
You know, in a way, I could almost agree with what King said. Now, I know very little of the intricacies of the military, because I have not, and will not, join them. (Don't trust the government at all, I won't do their bidding, thanks.) It's true that the military can be a good way for people with no real employable skills to get decent pay, but there's this guy I work with. He's a fat, ignorant hick that can't even work at a gas station without fucking up twice weekly, and thinks he's going to join the Marines. They won't have him. To me, that's a pretty good indication the military won't take the bottom of the barrel.

But the part that bugs me is that these people obviously don't know the meaning of the word "exaggeration". King is too intelligent to really, seriously think the military wants illiterate soldiers.

alinda
05-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Signed

Bev Vincent
05-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Troop Greeters rehang items after King clash

By Toni-Lynn Robbins
Friday, May 09, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

BANGOR, Maine - Photos and a newspaper article about Stephen King once again were on display Thursday in the Maine Troop Greeters' room in the Bangor International Airport terminal.

The nine-member greeters leadership committee met at noon Thursday and voted unanimously to replace the article, two 8-by-10-inch photos of King’s Bangor houses and smaller snapshots of the residences, which were removed by a small group of greeters Wednesday in reaction to King’s statements made at the Library of Congress last month.

I’m "really sorry this was blown out of proportion," said Tom Kohl, the leadership committee’s chairman. "His comments were made in reference to literacy of youth, [an issue] that we agree with."

>>> Full article (http://bangornews.com/news/t/city.aspx?articleid=164120&zoneid=176)

Bev Vincent
05-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Troop Greeters rehang items after King clash (http://bangornews.com/news/t/city.aspx?articleid=164120&zoneid=176)

By Toni-Lynn Robbins

BANGOR, Maine - Photos and a newspaper article about Stephen King once again were on display Thursday in the Maine Troop Greeters' room in the Bangor International Airport terminal.

The nine-member greeters leadership committee met at noon Thursday and voted unanimously to replace the article, two 8-by-10-inch photos of King’s Bangor houses and smaller snapshots of the residences, which were removed by a small group of greeters Wednesday in reaction to King’s statements made at the Library of Congress last month.

I’m "really sorry this was blown out of proportion," said Tom Kohl, the leadership committee’s chairman. "His comments were made in reference to literacy of youth, [an issue] that we agree with."

Brice
05-09-2008, 02:36 AM

ManOfWesternesse
05-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Yes, sanity prevails somewhere!

Matt
05-09-2008, 04:15 AM
:rock:

Look how quick that worked! :lol:

Thanks Bev

Matt
05-09-2008, 04:18 AM
That is really good news, I am glad they didn't hold out and make us all go postal. :lol:

Brice
05-09-2008, 04:31 AM
I'm gonna' miss Noel when his fifteen minutes are up. :cry:

ladysai
05-09-2008, 04:37 AM

Yeah, sure you will.
:P

Brice
05-09-2008, 04:39 AM

Yeah, sure you will.
:P

No...really I will. I may even stay around his board after he approves me (if that EVER happens) ....until he bans me. ;)

alinda
05-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Power to the people ( with brains) :lol:

alinda
05-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Clearer heads have prevailed once again, :D

Matt
05-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Yep, and I do believe this will now be drawing to a close. It will be one thing to support and wholly another to perpetuate.

We are seeing it off Noel's main blog page and I do believe Al Gore said something this morning that will be drawing all the "extreme right's" attention.

They just leap on whoever they can of course.

When the question was asked..."Will you Stand?"--we did. :grouphug:

Nerak
05-09-2008, 05:15 AM
stood tall, friends!!

razz
05-09-2008, 05:47 AM
this noel sheppard sounds like a prick

bodacious ta-tas
05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Troop Greeters rehang items after King clash (http://bangornews.com/news/t/city.aspx?articleid=164120&zoneid=176)

By Toni-Lynn Robbins

:clap: :dance: :rock:

Yep, and I do believe this will now be drawing to a close. It will be one thing to support and wholly another to perpetuate.

We are seeing it off Noel's main blog page and I do believe Al Gore said something this morning that will be drawing all the "extreme right's" attention.

They just leap on whoever they can of course.

When the question was asked..."Will you Stand?"--we did. :grouphug:

Congratulations, everyone who Stood for Steve! :grouphug:

MrsSmeej
05-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Whew! What a relief. If O'Reilly only called him a pinhead and the greeters have regained their sanity, I think this thing might be over. Sorry Matt, but I'm glad I read to the end of the thread before sending a note to Bangor International. Wouldn't want them to think Stephen's fans had "gone Cujo" on them. :lol: Still, your note was very nicely put. Not a single hint of foam about the lips. You did us proud Sai. :clap:

Matt
05-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you so much. I think the small amount of messages they got were perhaps an indication that fans would soon be flooding the place.

I'm glad they acted swiftly for sure.

Daghain
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Replace "sounds like" with "is" and I think you have something there. :lol:

MrsSmeej
05-09-2008, 08:02 AM
:lol: Now, now... Shouldn't we be gracious in victory?

Daghain
05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
No. :lol:

Daghain
05-09-2008, 08:06 AM

Oh, don't worry Brice. He'll find some other insignificant thing to make a big deal out of. You won't have to miss him at all. :lol:

Brice
05-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I know! :grouphug:

Brice
05-09-2008, 08:09 AM
He'll probably erase all reference to SK and then make us look like the bad guys for harrassing him "for no reason". :lol:

parasite

razz
05-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Now, now... Shouldn't we be gracious in victory?

no. we rub it in sheppard's face.

Matt
05-09-2008, 08:11 AM
I think we deserve a bit of gloating for sure but it should be restrained glee because the whole thing really was a huge suck for SK.

Brice
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't imagine he's really letting it phase him too badly. It was likely just a minor annoyance.

Matt
05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah, basically something you don't need like a weasel in the henhouse. :lol:

But still, its gotta bring you down a bit. Some horrible shit said about him out there. :(

Brice
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Oh, I know Matt! I just figure with all the crackpots out there he's heard far worse via "fan" mail.

Agathia
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow this is alot to digest, Matt you have made some very good points. Why American was so praised by other nations is due to free speech and equal rights and then after 9/11 those right were suppressed. Just because the nation's at war, doesn't mean we aren't allowed to speak our mind. However I do not necessarily agree completely with Stephen King's words because I believe it's too generalising and unfair to say you only join the army cause you're uneducated. However I don't think he meant it as an insult to the soldiers. It was more of a warning to youth that illiteracy will limit future potential.
Just my two cent.

Matt
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
And a great couple of pennies it was!

I think that last line is spot on. SK kind of considers the war in Iraq a pretty scary prospect and used it as a metaphorical "boogyman". I agree that he didn't mean to slight the soldiers.

Since it is pretty damn scary, I believe he has a point.

Lord_Vertigo
05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
What he said was stupid. Even fabulously successful writers who we all love can still be human and make some really dumb remarks. King said what he thought, which is fine, we can all say what we want. But this doesn't make any of us immune from having to live with the consequences of our words, and King deserved to get blasted for making such stupid comments.

alinda
05-09-2008, 01:26 PM
meh, I get it everyday, I have been know to say some pretty dumb stuff myself from time to time.

Matt
05-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm...I would say that he deserved people saying they didn't understand. He did not deserve people insulting him personally for what could really be considered a miscommunication.

The way I see it, if they would have attacked his words, it would have lost steam as soon as what he meant was explained. The only reason it got the legs it did is because people decided that wasn't enough and decided to attack the man personally which was not something he deserved.

And remember, this is from a veteran of the US military.

Randall Flagg
05-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Now that the furor has subsided a bit, I am going to merge this into the King announcement thread, with a brief redirect.

Matt
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I think that's probably smart, I'm going to deactivate the page tomorrow and we'll call the affair closed unless it stokes up again.

Maelstrom
05-09-2008, 08:08 PM

:wub:

I actually sent him a message, we'll see if he posts it on his blog. Really wish I would have copied it.

My wife: "You're a lover, not a speller" :lol:

Matt, I am also a member of SKMB and joined this room because of your blog there about this site. I wrote a note to that Newsbusters orginization myself, only I did copy the body of my email. I don't know if it will get posted there, but I am sure you will put it through here.

"I am writing this note not as a soldier or even a former soldier in the US Armed Forces, and also not even as a citizen or resident of the United States of America, although I am an American, that is to say a citizen of one of the countries of North America. I am not writing to support Mr. King, nor to defame him any further, but to add my view, or my opinion, to the mix.

It seems to me that Mr. King made a comment to some students who are still gaining that invaluable commodity known as education. This comment I believe was taken completely out of context. Mr. King, in my opinion, was not indicating that the members of the military are illiterate fools, but he was indicating that those students who fail to gain the necessary education do have the military as a fall back solution. The military accepts those who have substandard educations far more easily than, say, NewsBusters would. Mr. King, along with every person who has spoken for and against his comment are entitled to these opinions.

Now, as for the attack on other notes written here on the NewsBusters' board (ie, soliders instead of soldiers) it should be noted that people are not infallible (personally I have used backspace at least five times just during the writing of this email) and typographical errors do occur. I noticed in another of the emails after this particular attack another email that stated "...the men in women in uniform..." and I ask, should this person be attacked for expressing that the men of the military wear women's uniforms. See, that is taken completely out of context and the person who wrote those words made a typographical error. I apologize to this person if they take my words here as an attack. They are merely an example of how mistakes can happen.

As for Mr. King's write up on the SKMB and the suggestion that he should wait for Ms. Mod to return from vacation, I believe he did the right thing by responding immediately. If Mr. King had waited until Ms. Mod's return then the wound would have festered and become quite uncontrolable. I believe that Mr. King would have been attacked even more than he has if he had have waited.

Thank you all for listening to my ranting and raving."

alinda
05-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Not at all, thanks for posting, welcome , why not visit the rest of the place?

Matt
05-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Now, as for the attack on other notes written here on the NewsBusters' board (ie, soliders instead of soldiers) it should be noted that people are not infallible (personally I have used backspace at least five times just during the writing of this email) and typographical errors do occur. I noticed in another of the emails after this particular attack another email that stated "...the men in women in uniform..." and I ask, should this person be attacked for expressing that the men of the military wear women's uniforms. See, that is taken completely out of context and the person who wrote those words made a typographical error. I apologize to this person if they take my words here as an attack. They are merely an example of how mistakes can happen.Actually, that's all me. :lol:

Its pretty common in an all text environment I think. Especially when you are dealing with someone who does a lot of typing. :blush:

I know spelling and errors like the ones above are considered bad form on the internet by some folks but I got passed worrying about what people think of me personally a long time ago. To be honest, I was more horrified about that "soldier" misspelling than anything recently because it might have reflected on SK somehow, that wouldn't be cool at all.

But overall, most people seemed okay about it and got the message. I hope so anyway.

So to pull this thing back on topic, I do believe the issue has blown over but we do have several potential thread ideas here...we could start those elsewhere.

In closing the issue here on tdt.com--I just want to say again how much I appreciate everyone being honest but civil on their feelings towards this issue.

What can be said about King fans is that we are an intelligent and giving lot.

Look for this thread to be archived one way or another soon.

scottish_rogue
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Can't believe I haven't seen any threads on this yet...it's been out for a while. Or maybe I missed the thread where it was talked about already. Anyway, I just wanted to hear what you all had to say about all this and what your opinions on it are.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/05/05/writer-stephen-king-if-you-cant-read-youll-end-army-or-iraq

Daghain
02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh, it was discussed somewhere here when it came out, I remember. Hopefully someone who has better board search fu than me will come merge this with that. ;)

Hannah
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I can find it, I think. :ninja:

scottish_rogue
02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Silly me. I found it. Thanks though.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2817&highlight=anti+military

Hannah
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Silly me. I found it. Thanks though.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2817&highlight=anti+military

Oh lord. I'm so ashamed. I've been looking for it for the last ten minutes and haven't found it - and I pop in here and you already got it! You'd think I'd know the site better than that. :lol: Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and merge the two now - maybe that'll get the discussion going again. :D

scottish_rogue
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I appreciate you helping :-)

Hannah
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Anytime, love!