PDA

View Full Version : What Happened In Piedmont?

HanzouNorak
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
This Thread has now been converted to general disscussion on the upcoming Andromeda Strain mini-seires. the original reson of the thread is under the dotted line.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
a comercial led me to a blog inwhich the writer states that they cannot contact anybody in Piedmont, Utah, and that the military has been called in for a unknown reason.
before we get into this, tell me if it has already been proven a hoax or something like that.
heres the site:
http://www.whathappenedinpiedmont.com

Thoughs? Theories?

ZoNeSeeK
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Hrm, snopes doesnt have anything on it so not sure.

HanzouNorak
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM

snopes?

Unfound One
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I was googling around and found this IMDB article:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424600/
Looks like it could be a hoax to promote The Andromeda Strain - a mini-series on A&E starting May 26th. It reminds me a lot of The Stand... Except an entire town is wiped out by some organism that was brought back on a returning satellite and the only survivors are a baby and an old man.
Eh, kinda creepy though...

OchrisO
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, it looks like it could be The Andromeda Strain, which is a Michael Crichton book.

In the book, the object that brings the strain lands somewhere in Arizona, though.

HanzouNorak
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
yea, i was going to say it was suspiciously like that old movie The Andromeda Strain

update: well, i typed in theandromedastrain.com and found a description mentioning a small town in Utah. i looked up Piedimont on wiki, and its a real town. if i had any money i'd fly there just to see if theres really military barricades around there. i mean, the town people are going to be rather pissed if they've been a part of a promotion hoax. well, the most it did was spook me for a night, and, now that i think about it, how the hell would blogger get the cash and connections for a commercial?

Daghain
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM

I did that too! :lol:

Great minds think alike!

ZoNeSeeK
04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
yes they do!!

where?

Woofer
04-29-2008, 02:59 AM

snopes?

www.snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com) is the best site for debunking urban legends, social myths, and current crapfests. It's my other home on the net.

Seek, do you post there, too? I'm a member, but I've not posted in 10,000 years.

blackrose22
04-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Sounds like a hoax to me but you cant ever be sure. Anyway The Andromeda Strain is a brilliant book and the film version is fantastic too. Must look out for the mini series.

CPU
04-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Yes, it's marketing for the Andromeda Strain remake. :P

Click me, Click me! (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3144012)

Ka-tet
04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! THE GRAYBOYS ARE HERE!

Sorry i couldnt resist xD

OchrisO
04-30-2008, 09:04 AM
It annoys me that Hollywood does things like change locations. What's the point in making it set in Utah when it is originally set in Piedmont, Arizona? Hollywood amazes me sometimes with it's pointless and, in some cases, damaging changes to adaptations.

LadyHitchhiker
05-01-2008, 03:39 PM
In Piedmont Agent Dana Scully performed I can't even tell you how many autopsies for the government.

LadyHitchhiker
05-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Actually I'm supppppppper excited about this new series!!!!!!! :D :D :D :excited:

HanzouNorak
05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
well, lets turn this thread into something useful shall we?

General disscusion on the new Andromeda Strain remake

razz
05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
i love the andromeda strain. if i were to make a pantheon of human god, Crichton would be #2. king is #1. Tennant is 3.
I KNOW I'm wierd, so BACK OFF!

razz
05-13-2008, 05:56 AM
but yeah...that first letter in the link up there seems way too much like the letter written by J.Stone in the novel.

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain_%282008_miniseries%29

A fictional website called "What Happened in Piedmont" has appeared, featuring references to trouble in Piedmont, Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Piedmont%2C_Utah&action=edit&redlink=1). It takes on the appearance of a blog, featuring posts and comments. This website is an apparent viral advertisement for the above discussed mini-series.

Heather19
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Loved the book and can't wait to see this. Does anyone know when is it's airing?

razz
05-17-2008, 07:11 AM
memorial day on A&E

Heather19
05-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice, that's only a week away.

razz
05-18-2008, 05:39 PM
problem is, this is a LOT different from the origional story.
First off: birds die

HanzouNorak
06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
great. follow the link to the blog. read the last post, then the comments on it.

what a fucking asshole, theres people who really believe this whole story and the guy who made the blog isn't even going to come out and say "ha! fooled ya!, dont worry it was fake theres no super virus to worry about." but instead, we get this this bullshit that it really happened and that the blog is going to be a memorial for those who died. i wonder if the actors knew about the blog, id be pissed if i were any of them. what a fucking asshole, what fucking pointless blog, how did it promote anything if the people had no fucking idea what it was about?

razz
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
true,true.

Heather19
06-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm sure it was someone involved with the film that put up the blog. It was all just a publicity stunt to get people interested in seeing the film. As for the comments, and I could be wrong, but I'd guess that some of those are fake as well.

HanzouNorak
06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
tell that to a friend of mine, he was sure it was real till i told him to rent the old Andromeda Strain

razz
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
i just looked on the site. there is NOTHING there that gives evidence that it'f fake, unless you saw or read Andromeda.

Heather19
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
tell that to a friend of mine, he was sure it was real till i told him to rent the old Andromeda Strain

Really, geez, that's not good. I just assumed that the people who were posting consoling things were just part of the whole thing. I'm surprised the comments about the movie didn't make them question it, or maybe they just didn't read those comments.
Now if it really is put up by someone unrelated to the film, couldn't they get into serious trouble for that.

HanzouNorak
06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
i dont know, but take a survey at a high school and i bet noone there has any idea idea wtf the Andromeda Strain is. younger people were never exposed to such a thing, and that makes them all the more gulible.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 06:23 PM
i don't know guys. paging through the blog is one thing. but if you watch any of the clips you have to know it's publicity. eric mccormack is jack nash for gan's sake. will truman is the freakin reporter????? everybody knows who will truman is, even if they never watched will and grace. it's like knowing who those chicks from sex and the city are - and i've never seen a single episode!

but he says something in one of the early blogs that makes it sound like people were offering to send him money. and he sure was quick to say that their good will and good wishes are enough. cya there my friend, cya. :)

HanzouNorak
06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
well, ive never heard of will truman or eric moccormack, and i have no idea who the girls on sex and the city are. that kinda kills your thoery right there. general net browsers such as myself usually dont know much about actors or writers or books or old movies. why? because most general net browsers today are young, and such things as that seemed to skip todays generation. the only reason im interested in older things and whatnot is because i was exposed to them at a young age, most tennagers these days we're exposed to such thing because they were considered too young, and when they were older, they we're interested.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 06:36 PM
well, ive never heard of will truman or eric moccormack, and i have no idea who the girls on sex and the city are. that kinda kills your thoery right there. general net browsers such as myself usually dont know much about actors or writers or books or old movies. why? because most general net browsers today are young, and such things as that seemed to skip todays generation. the only reason im interested in older things and whatnot is because i was exposed to them at a young age, most tennagers these days we're exposed to such thing because they were considered too young, and when they were older, they we're interested.

what do you consider a "general net browser"? and what do you consider "older things"? what was a "young age"? :unsure:

LadyHitchhiker
06-08-2008, 06:46 AM
I watched the andromeda strain in high school...

HanzouNorak
06-08-2008, 02:05 PM
General Net Browser= Somebody whos on the computer a lot because they have nothing else to do or think they have nothing else to do.

Older Things:things from before the person was born

Young Age:between 4-7, possibly 9

Sai Joshua
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I am so pissed about this whole thing! I was on pins and needles waiting to watch this thing. The first night of it was really awesome, I couldn't wait for night 2. Then Hollywood had to do what they do with everything that I love, turn it into a steaming pile of dogshit! I hope this is a spoler thread because I am going to do a little spoiling.
1. We had to have the obligatory Gay person in there. I mean come on, Rick Schroeder's character in the book and the film didn't discuss his sexuality when all of the sudden we have to have a scene made up in the movie just so he can bat his eyes and say " Don't ask, dont tell" because he's in the army, what a bunch of bull! I could care less what his orientation was, but some writer in Hollywood was just sitting there and salivating saying" Oh well there's no mention of a gay person in this book, that's just awful, Well have to make one out of thin air!" This had nothing to do with the MOVIE!

2. Andromeda was something not of this earth in the movie, they didn't find a cure for it.It just evolved into something harmless ie. it stopped attacking humans and started breaking down plastics, if I recall correctly. Suddenly we were the villians in this movie because of offshore vent mining or some such. I expected Captain Planet to swoop down in the end and save us all! I am so sick of our arrogance on the subject of our planet and how we think we can destroy it. This planet has been through a lot worse than our stupidity and made it just fine. I am not saying that we shouldn't do things to keep pollution down, I think we go a little overboard. I am paying $4 for gas and having to worry about whether or not I might kill some rare endangered species because of my carbon footprint! PLEASE!!!

Sorry I was really excited about this movie and now I feel really let down about it. I will have to say the special effects were good and I thought the actors did an excellent job.