PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Darkness

Matt
04-28-2008, 08:31 AM
We just got done watching AVP and yes...it sucked. Talk about not trying <_<

Anyway, this isn't about that.

This is about the technique of using "authentic darkness" in movies these day.

It used to be that even if the characters were lost in the deepest, darkest cave--there was always a camera light source. Sure, it made no sense that it was there but we accepted it because we liked to see the movie.

So now, we have this. Darkness so deep in some of these scenes that I can't see what is going on at all. Not my TV, not the DVD, the way it was filmed. :shoot:

jayson
04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
i prefer the authenticism. if it's supposed to be dark, it should be dark. i never liked the inexplicable lighting, like i don't like when movies/videos portray electric instruments as making sounds when clearly not plugged into anything. i can suspend disbelief, but i prefer when a director makes it possible not to have to.

ps. thanks for saving me the time from having to watch AVP. i've heard from others that it sucked so your review is prob the last straw. i really just wanted to see more of the predator.

Matt
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Your welcome :)

And sure, I can understand that but this movie is literally so dark you can't see the Predator anyway. Seems like a real miss to me.

Odetta
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Another thing I hate is when they are filming a fight scene but they just do close quick shots and cut, cut, cut... so that you really actually never get to see the fight. Why not get people who can actually fight well, choreograph it properly, and let us see the fight!?!?!?!
I don't know if this was in AVP in particular, just in general, I hate it.

alinda
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm with you Matt, my eyesight pretty
much sucks now that I am like ( older)
and if I am watching a movie, I want
to be able to see what is happening!

Heather19
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I think it depends on the situation in the movie. For example I just saw a movie this past weekend that had quite a few scenes in it, where it was so dark you couldn't see anything. But I thought it added to the feel of the film, and made it scarier in that you couldn't see everything, which is how it would be if you yourself were in that position. I have to say, I typically prefer it, in that it adds an element of realism to the film.

ZoNeSeeK
04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
The authentic darkness works for The Descent though. Havent been that unnerved watching a movie for a while :)

Matt
04-29-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm with you Matt, my eyesight pretty
much sucks now that I am like ( older)
and if I am watching a movie, I want
to be able to see what is happening!

Maybe its an old thing then :couple:

:lol:

For me, I want to be able to see what is happening on the screen, I can't handle a full minute on film where I cannot see a thing. Ruins the movie for me.

alinda
04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Kind of like groping about in the dark
at our gravity stricken ____...no it's
not at all the same. Fortunately that
is one thing age has'nt ruined yet!
Sorry , back to the topic of darkness
in the films we watch. :lol:

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 06:59 AM
THe total darkness really bugs me, but again, it is for the same reasons that have been stated. My eyes are shit, and its hard enough to see the movie as it is.

jayson
04-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Maybe its an old thing then

so that;s what i have to look fwd to next year? :lol:

Matt
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Yep--get ready to not be able to see shit!! :lol:

Aaron
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I think that it is a good thing that should be used sparingly and only when it is going to convey something that couldn't be acheived otherwise. As a mood-altering device it can be terribly effective; directors shouldnt overdo it, though. Which means that when they do use it the segments shouldn't be too long, for fear of losing the viewer.

There should also be some sort of other stimuli to take the place of the visuals; a creepy sound or music. Black screen and no sound = bored viewer.

Heather19
04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I completely agree. As long as it's done right, I think it can make for a terrifying moment in a film.

ZoNeSeeK
04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I think it gets irritating when you cant make out whats going on and you're in a crucial part of the movie.