PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie Based on a Comic Book

turtlex
04-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Okay Folks -

What's your favorite movie based on a comic book or graphic novel?

Some ideas:

X-Men Series
Spider-Man Series
Hulk
Batman Series
Fantastic Four Series
V-For Vendetta
Superman Series
IronMan (out soon!)
The Incredible Hulk (out soon! Ed Norton, instead of Eric Bana)
Bloodrayne
The Crow Series
Daredevil
Elektra
Ghost World
Frank Miller's Sin City

Let the debate begin.

My personal favorites : V-for Vendetta, The Crow (Brandon Lee, first movie in series only), X-Men 2, Spider-Man (all). And Ghost World was awesome!

Hated: Daredevil theatrical release. Liked a lot, the director's cut DVD.
Hated: Elektra theatrical release.
Hated: Fantastic Four 2, but loved the look of the Silver Surfer
Hated: Bloodrayne. Just. Real. Bad.

Have never been a fan of : Batman. Any movie in the series, but am looking forward to Heath Ledger as the new Joker.

fernandito
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I voted for Sin City.

It is the epitome of a perfect comic to film translation, IMO.

Mark
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Spiderman for me, definitly.

Arthur Heath
04-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I was so looking forward to V when it came out, what a disappointing ending though. Even Alan Moore didn't want his name associated with it.
If your talking about the perfect translation from comics to the big screen than it's Sin City without a doubt. It may not be my favorite listed, but it is by far the greatest adaptation.
Frank Miller is working on The Spirit which feels a lot like Sin City with the green screen backgrounds and all.

turtlex
04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
I did enjoy Sin City, a great deal, but felt it was a little, I don't know, uneven somehow.

But, honestly, for comic to film translation - I would have to go for The Crow. I thought that was just excellent.

For action and what not - I do love the X-Men movies, especially X-Men 2.

Spider-Man has a great story and good acting. I wasn't sure I would like Toby as Spidey, but think he's great. Same thing with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I didn't think I'd like him - but he really is great. I can't wait for the new Wolverine movie.

I liked V-for Vendetta a lot. Not so much for it's comic to film translation, but for the acting. I thought it was above par. Hugo Weaving was great, and had a real presence as V. And Natalie Portman was excellent as Evey.

cozener
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Mattrick
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure how Daredevil even got into this poll...same with Fantastic Four.

I'd say best comic book movie is without a doubt Spiderman 2. It had that comic book feeling and was just really put together well.

Batman Begins was awesome but I don't consider it as a 'comic book movie' considering it was made to exist outside the comic book realm. Batman Returns was awesome.

OchrisO
04-28-2008, 12:35 AM
What do you made to exist outside the comic world? Most all of the origin story that that movie tells was taken from Batman: Year One by Frank Miller, Batman: The Man Who Fell and Batman: The Long Halloween.

I enjoy V for Vendetta, but they changed a lot from comic to movie.

My vote goes for Hellboy, which isn't in the poll.

Old Man Splitfoot
04-28-2008, 12:52 AM
The Crow, hands down. How many of you have actually read the comic? It's really not that good, to be honest. It was written before the word "emo" was anything but a mispelling of "emu", but holy shit does it ever fit the emo stereotype. I know J.O. Barr wrote it as a way of getting over his grief at his fiance's death, but it's so whiney. The movie somehow manages to avoid this, but not only that, it's just plain good.

Also, I thought Bloodrayne was a video game? I've never seen the comics.

Ka-tet
04-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Sin city hands down

Although i do enjoy some other titles from the list like Spiderman and The Crow.

turtlex
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey All - Well, I added Daredevil for two reasons. One, because I really wanted it to be good. It could have been so awesome. Should have been so awesome. Unfortunately, it wasn't awesome. But..... Secondly, I included it because the Director's Cut on DVD really is a LOT better than the theatrical release.

I included Fantastic Four because, well, it did make a lot of money so somebody saw it and enjoyed it. I thought it was a little too geared to younger kids, but it wasn't all that horrible.

Wasn't Batman Begins based on the Dark Knight comic series? That was my impression.

I would have included some of the others you mentioned, heck I would have included them all - but you can only have 10 in a poll !!!

I love the Spider-Man movies. All of them. I think they're incredibly well done and very entertaining.

I didn't think the Crow comic was "whiney", I really thought it had a lot of emotion that really showed pain.

The film, The Crow, just works on every level. I love it.

Jimmy
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
300, Sin City or Daredevil Director's Cut.

Might I point out I hate Frank Miller? Weird, huh?

Ruthful
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Why are they remaking The Incredible Hulk?

Ang Lee did a phenomenal job with his interpretation. I can't imagine whoever's directing this most recent incarnation adding anything to a film that was already done to near-perfection.

Jimmy
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Why are they remaking The Incredible Hulk?

Ang Lee did a phenomenal job with his interpretation. I can't imagine whoever's directing this most recent incarnation adding anything to a film that was already done to near-perfection.

Ang Lee's Hulk is viewed by most comic fans as being horrendous because of the slow story, the antagonist being bland and the shear size of the Hulk himself. He's about 7 feet, not 15.

Bear in mind, the first film was not a Marvel Studios film. Now they have control over what is shown in a film based on one of their characters.

Like when King remade The Shining. Kubrick's film is seen by many as being perfect, but it wasn't what King wanted, so it got redone, for what it's worth.

Also, Hulk hass a subplot which will begin in Iron Man, then will be shown in other upcoming Marvel films which will lead up to an Avengers movie. For the first time, they can crossover films, which is not something other comic movies have done.

fernandito
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Yup, it's all about the crossover :lol:

Still Servant
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I have 2 write in votes:

The Road To Perdition and A History Of Violence.

turtlex
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I have to agree about Ang Lee's version of Hulk. I sort of, well, hated it a whole lot.

It really wasn't the Hulk. I mean, what was with that bionic jumping crap? And he was like HUGE.

It's no wonder most fans didn't enjoy it. At least a lot of them didn't. I didn't. It really wasn't true to the comic at all.

Jimmy
04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I have to agree about Ang Lee's version of Hulk. I sort of, well, hated it a whole lot.

It really wasn't the Hulk. I mean, what was with that bionic jumping crap? And he was like HUGE.

It's no wonder most fans didn't enjoy it. At least a lot of them didn't. I didn't. It really wasn't true to the comic at all.

The Hulk has been able to jump 3 miles with a running start since the 60's.

My biggest gripe was that he didn't talk. :doh:

turtlex
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Jimmy -

I don't remember the Hulk doing that jumping stuff, so thanks for the info. I thought the special effects were cool, but the just looked so... odd, jumping like that.

Plus, yeah, mute Hulk. What was up with that?

Just read a great review of Iron Man! They gave it a 3.5 out of 4. Said it was clever and funny and smart. Sounds like a winner!

Jimmy
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Check out the new trailer for Hulk, and you'll see him leaping again.

YouTube - Incredible Hulk is BACK - FULL TRAILER

:biggrin:

susie
04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
1. lady snowblood
2. sin city
3. the fountain
4. american splendor
5. men in black
6. lone wolf and cub
7. road to perdition

i thought 300 was beautiful, but too ridiculous to take seriously (ooh, frank miller is so.. cornball XD). and i can't wait for the new batman movie... he's the only american superhero i like, and i hope the joker is fucking AMAZING.

Rjeso
04-30-2008, 04:32 AM
300. The translation was soooo good. They just added loincloths to the movie, that's all. :lol:

turtlex
04-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Jimmy - Cool ! Thanks for the youtube link. At least, the jumping.. it's not that "jumping over the grand canyon" kind of jumping. Which is what really bothered me in the Ang Lee film.

Oh, and how about the house in the opening scene of the trailer? Is that the EXACT same house as the Ang Lee film? It looks identical. To the point that I almost thought you attached the wrong trailer.

I must admit, I'm sort of addicted to Superhero films. Regardless, I do see them all, even if I don't think I'll like them very much. I saw the Ang Lee Hulk three times and own the DVD. Weird.

Susie - Excellent additions. I completely forgot about American Splendor. And for the record - I think Health Ledger looks GREAT as the Joker.

Jimmy
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
300, Sin City or Daredevil Director's Cut.

Might I point out I hate Frank Miller? Weird, huh?

I'm changing my vote to Iron Man. Greatest comic book movie ever made. Perfect in every way.

John Blaze
05-02-2008, 05:50 PM
you saw it? when?

Spencer
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I really think The Dark Knight is gonna be the best, from everything I've heard and read, it's THAT good. My vote right now would go to another movie not on this list, the 1989 Batman.

However, if Watchmen is done RIGHT, it'll be the best hands down.

Ruthful
05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
In any case, I voted for "The Crow." Although, "Ghost World" is pretty tempting.

Jimmy
05-03-2008, 05:39 AM
you saw it? when?

Yesterday, and it was worth the wait.

Rjeso
05-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, he cheated. We're gonna see it fo' reals later. >_>

:P

turtlex
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I am hoping to see Iron Man this weekend. It's getting great reviews.

obscurejude
05-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Just got back from Ironman.

John Blaze
05-03-2008, 01:22 PM
what was your opinion?>

maybe we ought to start an Ironman thread?

turtlex
05-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Just got back from Iron Man myself.
I enjoyed it a lot.
It was very good.
Good writing and acting. Good action.
I'd recommend any comic fan to see it... and please folks, sit through the crawl !!!

special k
05-16-2008, 09:11 PM
i voted for the original crow. great flick.

turtlex
05-17-2008, 06:22 AM
I agree completely. I think the original Crow is a masterpiece of film.

turtlex
05-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Gonna add a quick note here - Fantasic Four/Silver Surfer has been on cable for the last month, like played every six minutes, and I've seen it about a hundred times now - It is a massive chunk of comic book movie cheese, but you know, it sure is entertaining.

Empath of the White
05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I really liked Batman Begins. The origin Mr. Nolan told was very interesting, as were the villains. My only complaints were a lack of Lazarus Pit and the fact that we were beaten over the head with "fear." Seriously, once or twice is enough. The audience isn't stupid. Having seen Iron Man, I have to call it as my favorite, beating Batman Begins by a slim margin. While I didn't care for the villain's motivations, Bridges was very entertaining and pulled of a role that, with another actor, could've come off as very bland or boring. The highlight of the movie for me was Tony Stark's character arc. I also like the fact that Pepper played a bigger role than that of the damsel in distress.

Empath of the White
05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Hellboy 2 looks like to could be a good movie. I've no doubt that The Dark Knight will overshadow it for a number of reasons, but the creature effects look great.

turtlex
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not a big Batman fan, and honestly think some of the series sucked, but I am looking forward to the new one. If only to see Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. I've been hearing such great things about it. Plus, I thought Nicholson played it too goofy to be scary.

I don't think the new Batman will be better than Iron Man, though. Robert Downey JR just nailed the performance as Tony Stark. And the story actually stayed true to Iron Man and wasn't some whole other storyline pretending to be Iron Man ( ie - such as Ang Lee's Hulk ).

Seymour_Glass
10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
The Dark Knight was the best. It's one of my favorite movies ever.

But, as Spencer said, if Watchmen is done right, it will be the best.

Adumbros
10-18-2008, 05:24 PM
The Dark Knight...by far the most accurate...the Keaton Batman was phenomenal, but not true to the oldschool...the spiderman series has more fuckups than a crackhead's life...hulk sucked like a hooker on nickel night...x-men STILL hasn't included gambit, not to mention completely fucked up the Original Six...Spawn was probably every bit as accurate as TDK, at least the original Spawn...overall, msot comic movies suck, because Hollywood wants to bastardize everything to appeal to modern crowds, whose tastes suck more than the movies that are peddled because of them.

Sam
10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
So far I have yet to see a more accurate transition from the page to film than Sin City. 300 comes close but had a few things added to it. Everything else has had HUGE departures from the source material in comparison. Comparing which is the best movie though brings different arguments. Personally I liked Spiderman 2 better as an individual film more than any of the other comic book films I have seen, and that includes Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Spiderman 3 was such a disappointment that I haven't bought a copy yet. Same with Fantastic Four 2.

Jackie
10-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I love my spiderman :P

Adumbros
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
the Spidey set had been full of inacurracies from the get.

for instance...his very origin was fucked up in the movies. and why is Gwen Stacy eddie brock's love interest? gwen was a)around loooong before MJ as pete's lover, and b)died looooong before eddie/venom was ever conceived.

Arthur Heath
10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I had to go with Sin City, although it wasnt my favorite on the list I do think it paid the most homage to the original graphic novel. My fav on the list has to be The Crow.
I cant believe Daredevil actually got voted on, twice.

Adumbros
10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I had to go with Sin City, although it wasnt my favorite on the list I do think it paid the most homage to the original graphic novel. My fav on the list has to be The Crow.
I cant believe Daredevil actually got voted on, twice.

touche on The Crow. not necessarily the most accurate, but by far the most cleverly crafted and adapted.

as for sin city, i couldn't say. call me oldfashioned, but i refuse to read/watch movies that extoll violence for its own mirthless sake.

turtlex
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Actually, the DIRECTOR'S CUT of Daredevil is pretty good. MUCH MUCH better than the released film ever was.

Harrald
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I gota say Sin City. 300 was close, the rest take more liberties than I like to see. I can't wait for Watchmen. I am excited as heck. But I know I will be disappointed. I have heard there are changes that would change the entire story line. It looks like once again "Only the names have remained the same"

I hope I'm wrong though. My wife and I will be at the first showing day one no matter what.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Ghost World didn't get any votes?

:pullhair:

fernandito
10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Sin City is the closest thing to a 'straight' adaptation.

Seymour_Glass
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Call me weird, but I didn't much care for Sin City, comics or movie. They were good, but Frank Miller's superhero stuff has been stronger, in my opinion.

Ruthful
10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I liked Sin City. I took it as a satire of all of these crime noir Hollywood films, kind of like Mulholland Drive.

Rjeso
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Sin City was awesome. I only saw it for the first time maybe a month ago. Very fun flick.

fernandito
06-05-2012, 08:07 AM
The Dark Knight Rises will soon join the ranks !

Brice
06-11-2012, 05:43 AM
So you aren't even allowing for the possibility that it will disappoint. LOL

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Yeah feev, I mean what about Dredd, huh? Aren't you even allowing the possibility that it could be better than Dark Knight Rises? ;)

:lol: Nah, just kidding mate. Even I know that the chances that Dredd will be a good movie are shaky, let alone being as good as Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. I haven't completely given up hope yet, especially as the creator has given his recommendation of the film, and to me personally, I do find Dredd to be a little more interesting than Batman, comic wise, but the film's not that likely to capture the satirical aspects or complexity of Dredd's world. Still hugely anticipating the trailer, anyway.

Brice
06-11-2012, 06:03 AM
There is however at least the unlikely possibility that all the good parts of TDKR were in the trailer.

Mattrick
06-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Where was a A History of Violence and Road to Perdition in this poll? Or even American Splendor? They were great movies based off comics.

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Ooh, fair point with A History of Violence, Mattrick. Road to Perdition I really need to see, but certainly it looks like a good adaptation of the comic.

However, you're forgetting something, Mattrick: if people don't know it's based on a comic, then it won't count! :lol:

needfulthings
06-11-2012, 01:50 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/8331/img795.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img710/6457/img796t.jpg

needfulthings
06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
So you aren't even allowing for the possibility that it will disappoint. LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/794/img797x.jpg

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Got something way better than that, nt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBd7999qqo

:rofl: Never, ever, ever gets old!

needfulthings
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
SORRY I SEE NO PICTURE ABOVE.

Empath of the White
06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
The Dark Knight--It broke a few of the "established" rules of the comic book film genre. Plus, I wasn't expecting Two-Face. I was under the impression that he'd be saved for the sequel.

Runner-Up is Hellboy. The movie captivated me, got me into Lovecraft and led me to pick up a couple of the Hellboy graphic novels, which were a springboard for me into comics.

DoctorDodge
06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
SORRY I SEE NO PICTURE ABOVE.

Here's the direct link, nt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBd7999qqo

Btw, my votes for favourite comic book movie...either have to be The Dark Knight, for reasons that have already been stated, or Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, as that was a film that, despite taking a lot of material out, really matched the spirit and awesomeness of the original comics, I think.

Oh, and good point about Hellboy, Empath. :thumbsup: Love both films, despite belonging in two different genres, both are still a lot of fun.

Odetta
06-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Coming into thread wayyyy late, but I voted for The Crow

Stockerlone
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
No one likes MIB ???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/MIBseries1.jpg
http://meninblack.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_The_Men_in_Black_Comics

Brice
06-17-2012, 09:11 PM
I didn't even know that was a comic.

Garrell
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Coming into thread wayyyy late, but I voted for The Crow

Did the same even though I am a huge FM fan.

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 01:44 AM
I didn't even know that was a comic.

Thus proving my earlier point, Brice:

if people don't know it's based on a comic, then it won't count! :lol: