PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

DoctorDodge
08-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I know that the BW comics will never, ever, ever ever, match up to the original, but I've already segregated the two in my mind a long time ago. I'll go into BW looking to enjoy it on it's own terms.

Fair enough. If it is better than a cash in, let me know. So far, opinion has been pretty divided from the people who read it, really.

(You should be reading Dredd comics first, though. :P)

fernandito
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh hell yeah definitely. I'll be looking to get my hands on that Dredd tie-in we were discussing earlier. My hype mode is at critical mass at this point.

DoctorDodge
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Tell me about it! The best comparison I've heard so far is that the new film is "Dirty Harry meets RoboCop". You know what that sounds like to me? Judge Dredd. I can hardly wait.

Oh, and going slightly back to my original point: one of the best stories that did the whole "prequel/flashback" routine and made it work was Judge Dredd story "Origins". Not only did it do a decent job of tying the mythology together, it was also a pretty solid story in its own right. It also set up plenty of the more recent arcs of the strip, too. Not the best Dredd story, but still recommendable.

DTRAiN235
08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
It isn't excactly just licensed fanfic. It actually goes in deeper to some of the back stories mentioned in the original novel. Sure, there has to be a certain amount of "filling in the gaps."

See, that's my biggest problem. There's doing your own take on long-running established characters - as has been the case numerous times with Superman, Batman, Sherlock Holmes etc - and honestly, I'm ok with that stuff, as characters like those have almost limitless story potential, but the "filling in the gaps" on something as fully formed as the characters in Watchmen just doesn't interest me so much when it's not the creators, and sometimes, even they fuck it up. There will always be the temptation at least on the writers part to deviate from what was canon anyway. Now, I wouldn't be so skeptical, if it weren't for the Dark Tower comics. At first, they were pretty good, but as they went on, they got more and more hit and miss, until I eventually lost interest altogether. In fact, for me, prequel stories don't often work. Look at the Star Wars prequels (although I will admit, I really enjoyed Revenge of the Sith). Like I said, I'd probably give it a shot, if they were great comics. As it is, using the names and characters of one of the greatest graphic novels ever written isn't enough for me to buy 'em atm.

see your point there....they are pretty ok though....not epic, ok though

OchrisO
08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Right now I am reading the whole Avengers vs. X-men event from this summer and it is actually quite good. It is another Phoenix story at its core, but I have really enjoyed it.

They have done a thing where they put out issues that are just long drawn out fight scenes, separate from the main story arc and it allows them to squeeze more story into the normal issues while still letting you find and see epic fights if you want. The fight between Spiderman and Colossus who is now the Juggernaut was one of my favorites so far.

fernandito
11-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I plan on getting the AvX collection once it's out. The hardcover is out now, but that ish is $40, fuuuuuuuuck that. I'll wait for the TPB.

Also, Saga Vol. 1 is for sale on TPB now! Just added to my Amazon cart. :D

Emily
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Saga!!!

You will not regret this.

WeDealInLead
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I'll make a longer post about cool books I've been reading tomorrow. There's been some really cool shit coming out in the last few months.

Jeff Lemire will be having a meet and greet + signing tomorrow. I need to go through all the boxes and find the books I need signed (Animal Man 1, Frankenstein 1, his first JL Dark, also Sweet Tooth trades, Essex County and Underwater Welder. Also I need to buy The Nobody ASAP.

OchrisO
11-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I plan on getting the AvX collection once it's out. The hardcover is out now, but that ish is $40, fuuuuuuuuck that. I'll wait for the TPB.

Also, Saga Vol. 1 is for sale on TPB now! Just added to my Amazon cart. :D

Saga is mindblowingly good. The issues don't come out nearly fast enough to appease by need for it.
I wish Fiona Staples was my friend so she would just draw stuff for me all the time. I really think she is the best artist in the business right now.

I enjoyed AvX, but I would definitely wait for the cheaper copy.

Ari_Racing
11-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Batman Haunted Knight, by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

Prior The Long Halloween, three cool stories.

Stockerlone
11-22-2012, 12:04 PM
My next comics ... maybe some stuff from Reinhard Kleist...
Elvis, America or The Secrets of Coney Island
(So far, I could always withhold reading signed/remarqued editions but from my Reinhard Kleist graphic novels... i only have sig/rem)

Ari, do you ´use´ your rem/sig comics to read?

Ari_Racing
11-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Nope. I usually have an extra not signed to read.
:)

Stockerlone
11-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Nope. I usually have an extra not signed to read.
:)

:thumbsup::couple::clap:

The ´chance´ to damage a s/r comic is TOO big.

Ari_Racing
11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Exactly!

DoctorDodge
12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Just finished catching up on 2000AD. Wow. What a way to round off the year. Just...just fucking epic. A story with so many twists and turns and so big, that for one of very, very few times in the strip's history, an entire issue was devoted to the finale (normally, 2000AD is an anthology comic), yet again I'm reminded of why 2000AD is easily one of my favourite comics out there. I'll be keen to see what they've got planned next year.

Brainslinger
12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
It was pretty special wasn't it? I'll admit I got a bit lost along the way (my memory isn't great in some ways). Worth a reread, I think. That last episode, Trifecta was great.

Girlystevedave
12-27-2012, 10:56 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Fk5ApdcLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

fernandito
12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Niiiiiceeeeeeeeeeee

fernandito
01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Saga is cool.

DoctorDodge
01-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Halfway through volume 16 of Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files. Now while a lot of this book hasn't been up to the same high standard of most of the previous volumes, mostly because of Garth Ennis on writing duty instead of John Wagner and Alan Grant, the stories "The Devil You Know" and "Twilight's Last Gleaming" were well and truly excellent. A nice end to the Democracy arc that had started since "Letter from a Democrat" over five years before. Gotta admit, while a lot of the stories aren't up to scratch, it's stories like those 2 that show the real benefits of reading the complete run of Dredd in order, as it really helps it feel like an ongoing, developing world that had seen a lot of genuine change. (It says a lot though that those particular 2 stories were written, of course, by John Wagner.)

Emily
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I spent most of today catching up on comics and it was fantastic. Caught up on Chew, Saga and Morning Glories, all of which are my personal favorites of everything out there right now. Also started a few new series I hadn't looked at yet-

Change
Punk Rock Jesus
The Manhattan Projects
Hawkeye

Really loved all of them. I can't get over how enjoyable Hawkeye is. And if anyone is looking to get into something weird and super out-there that is just starting- definitely try Change.

OchrisO
02-09-2013, 07:12 AM
I spent most of today catching up on comics and it was fantastic. Caught up on Chew, Saga and Morning Glories, all of which are my personal favorites of everything out there right now. Also started a few new series I hadn't looked at yet-

Change
Punk Rock Jesus
The Manhattan Projects
Hawkeye

Really loved all of them. I can't get over how enjoyable Hawkeye is. And if anyone is looking to get into something weird and super out-there that is just starting- definitely try Change.

I have been very impressed with Punk Rock Jesus.

I hadn't heard of Change. I will definitely look into it.

Also........Morning Glories.......it keeps getting more and more strange in a good way, yeah?

Emily
02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Morning Glories is getting real strange. I love the second group they've introduced, and the feeling that you can trust absolutely no one is so great.

My brother suggested I pick up Punk Rock Jesus and read the first few issues we have, and I was pretty impressed too. You should -definitely- read Change, Chris. It's right up your alley.

fernandito
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Looking to start Morning Glories soon.

I think that as soon as Batman wraps up it's current "Death of the Family" arc I'm going to stop collecting single issue comics for a bit, it's getting way too expensive for me. I'll sporadically advance in certain series as I've been doing, collecting TPB's here and there. My priority right now is Chew, The Unwritten, and Preacher.

Emily
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Has anyone been reading Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt? Looks to be another promising series. Definitely worth checking out if you're into mystery/conspiracy.

fernandito
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Hmm ... never heard of it nor does it sound familiar ... will look it up.

OchrisO
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Has anyone been reading Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt? Looks to be another promising series. Definitely worth checking out if you're into mystery/conspiracy.

I tried to read the first issue of that a while back and it just wasn't grabbing me for some reason. I plan to go back and give it another try sometime, though.

Emily
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Chris I think I may have asked you this in the past, but did you ever read Revolver by Matt Kindt? I loved that too, but the artwork in both series is less comic booky and almost more like a comic strip to me. It makes it a little harder to get into (for me anyway). But for both books- definitely worth trying to get used to the artwork so that you can read the story. Matt Kindt is becoming one of my favorites.

OchrisO
02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Chris I think I may have asked you this in the past, but did you ever read Revolver by Matt Kindt? I loved that too, but the artwork in both series is less comic booky and almost more like a comic strip to me. It makes it a little harder to get into (for me anyway). But for both books- definitely worth trying to get used to the artwork so that you can read the story. Matt Kindt is becoming one of my favorites.

Yeah, I think we did have a conversation about Revolver. I haven't read it. I will give Mind MGMT another try soon, though. I have seven days off work coming up starting on Thursday, so I will be doing some comic catch up.

fernandito
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Is Revolver a stand alone TPB?

Emily
02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Yes. I know someone who didn't like it, but I thought it was great.

Emily
02-19-2013, 07:42 AM
I started reading Thief of Thieves a week or so ago and it's pretty effing cool. It's by Robert Kirkman, James Asmus, an Nick Spencer (who writes Morning Glories). Kirkman said he was inspired by the way TV show writers work, and wanted to try someone similar with this comic. Apparently a show on AMC is already in the works based on the comic. I've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but I've always been fascinated with thieves and elaborate heists, so I was bound to enjoy this. The dialogue is quick and interesting, the artwork is dark and one of those instances where it just coincides so well with the writing. Definitely recommend it, especially if you're looking for a completely no superhero / no sci-fi kind of story.

WeDealInLead
02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Thief of Thieves "I Quit" was in my top 5 2012 reads. That last page/panel was great.

jdub
04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Started re-reading Preacher as it has been a few years. After that I think I'm going to re-visit The Gunslinger Born as it's been a long while for that one too.

fernandito
04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm still on Vol. 5 of Preacher. Haven't read the series in over a year :doh:

WeDealInLead
04-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I haven't posted in this thread in a while. This is a quick list of on-going books I'm still reading:

Animal Man - Jeff Lemire is still on it. He's a (semi) local boy, and I dig his melancholy writting style whether it's in superhero books or his own books (Underwater Welder, Sweet Tooth etc)

TDT - I can't stop now. I'm still on the fence if the non-King material is canon or not but whatever, it's $3 a month.

Justice League Dark - the very much underrated underdogs of the DC universe. One of my favourite New 52 books

Battlefields by Garth Ennis. I'm a little tired of his over the top horror shit and violence so this is a nice change. I've read these since they started a few years ago. This is I think the 5th arc and we're re-introduced to some familiar faces.

The Massive - Brian Wood. If you enjoyed DMZ, you'll like this too. He's also writting Star Wars now but IMO, this, socio-political commentary and exploration into terrible "what if" situations is what he's best at.

The Unwritten - still going strong. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these books. There's a crossover of sorts coming up with Fables. Can't wait.

I've dropped the following:

Crossed - nothing ever gets resolved, it's become tedious with all the violence. The original arc was fantastic - The Walking Dead on steroids but with very strong character development.

Batman by Scott Snyder. I loved the first three arcs but I like books that I know have a beginning, middle and ending. With titles like Batman and similar heavy-hitters they can keep introducing new villains indefinitely.

Batwoman - I'll miss looking at that fantastic art but again, an indefinite story line is not for me.

Saga - Love the books but I'll stick to trades.

Stitched - I liked the first arc by Ennis. It was gruesome and had his signature humour. Wished he would've ended it instead of getting Wolfer to continue for him. I like the idea of "zombies" controlled by black magic but not at $4 a pop.

I'm still reading TWD and Fables in collected editions (omnibus or deluxe hardcovers) and I'm always on the lookout for a good book that flew under my radar e.i. The Rising Stars compendium.

onlylivingboyinny
05-14-2013, 08:54 AM

YES! also currently following Saga, Snyder's Batman 52 series, Locke & Key, Thief of Thieves, Walking Dead, American Vampire and some other IDW and Image material.

fernandito
05-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Looking to start The Manhattan Project soon. I'm all about alternate realities.

sgc1999
05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
SAGA, very cool!!!

DoctorDodge
07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Been reading some collected Judge Dredd material. In this case, it's stuff that I've already read in the comics, but it's nice to read all the stories one after another and have it flow together as one massive arc as opposed to piece by piece in the anthology comic.

Current arc I'm reading is the two-volume Tour of Duty, in which Dredd standing up for mutant rights sees him effectively expelled from Mega-City 1. Finished reading the first volume Friday - which was really just the build up to the main storyline, although it was excellent build up - now reading the 2nd volume for the past couple of days and really enjoying it. Already halfway and up to the one of the final - albeit massive (by Dredd standards) - arcs of the story, The Talented Mayor Ambrose. It always impresses me not only how great and fresh the creator of Judge Dredd John Wagner's material is after 35 years, but how he actually seems to have gotten better with age. I hope he doesn't leave anytime soon!

fearless-freak
07-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Hellheim
Mercy Sparx #1

Brainslinger
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I recently read the third and fourth Sweet Tooth volumes. Good stuff.

fearless-freak
07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
the newest George RR Martin comic adaptation Skin Trade #1

fernandito
08-05-2013, 07:46 AM
http://republicofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/The-Manhattan-Projects-Volume-1-Hickman-Pitarra.jpg

WeDealInLead
08-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Greg Rucka - Lazarus. S.F. stuff. The planet is controlled and owned by a few families who war within and without.
Millar - Jupiter's Legacy. Superhero stuff. It's not corny. Promise.
Scott Snyder (King's favourite)- The Wake. Nautical nightmares from the hottest writer today.
Jeff Lemire - Justice League Dark + Animal Man. Underdogs of the superhero universe. Really good stuff. He writes about the human aspect of being a superhero.

Other stuff whose writers I can't remember:

The Dream Merchant, East of West (weirdo S.F. stuff), Prophet (really, really weird S.F. stuff, 5 stars), Unwritten (now crossing over with Fables), The Massive (from the writer of Under the Dome TV show). These are just on-going books, I read waaaay more collected stuff. I keep a list in the "2013 book list" thread.

Yaksha
08-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Currently re reading The Long Halloween and am following it up with Dark Victory. These are without a doubt two of my favorite Batman comics.

DoctorDodge
08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Quality nice! I've yet to read Dark Victory, but yes, I love the Long Halloween. Got both graphic novels for my birthday, just need to get round to reading them both.

Yaksha
08-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Dark Victory is a great follow up to Long Halloween. But I love Long Halloween. It is my favorite Batman story because it focuses on a mystery which is what Batman is all about.

Other favorite Batman stories are: Knightfall, No Man's Land, Hush, Under the Red Hood, and pretty much Grant Morrison's entire run on Batman. So many great stories he did.

fearless-freak
08-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Hellheim #6

fernandito
08-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Scott Snyder (King's favourite)- The Wake. Nautical nightmares from the hottest writer today. I loved their work on American Vampire. Did this series just start? If it's been out for a bit I might just wait for the TPB.

Unwritten (now crossing over with Fables)Did you just spoil this for me :mellow:

Dark Victory is a great follow up to Long Halloween. But I love Long Halloween. It is my favorite Batman story because it focuses on a mystery which is what Batman is all about.

Other favorite Batman stories are: Knightfall, No Man's Land, Hush, Under the Red Hood, and pretty much Grant Morrison's entire run on Batman. So many great stories he did.

Grant Morrison is my personal comic god. Did you read his Batman Inc. run?

Ari_Racing
08-12-2013, 01:03 PM
The Long Halloween is the best I read in comics.

Brainslinger
08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Captain Britain- A Crooked World.

I wasn't sure of this at the start, but it's pretty good now. I'm not that acquainted with Captain Britain (despite being British myself), but I'm finding Captain Britain is a bit of a complainer. Physically he is far more powerful than his American counterpart but lacking the blue man's mental steel. Being so flawed isn't a bad thing in this case though. He's not 'all round heroic'. Neither is he the dark anti-hero. He is very human though. And that in a very surreal setting. This world's not the only thing a bit crooked.
-------
EDIT- I finished it last night. Yep a good read! I as a bit worried near the end that the Captain wouldn't get to do much stuff himself (he seemed to spend many of his confrontations getting beaten up) but somehow his role worked out in a satisfactory way at the end of the arc.
------
As far as individual comics are concerned, I continue to read:

2000 AD (Slaine's back. This issue came with two variant covers. The cool thing about getting this digital is that you get both in the same comic. Great stuff.)
Judge Dredd Megazine.
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
All Star Western.

I don't think there's any I dislike at the moment. Feeling a tad impatient for Animal Man and All Star Western to got down in price on Comixology. It's been taking it's time...

fearless-freak
08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
plus a lot of people forget who Cap Britain's sister is

WeDealInLead
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Scott Snyder (King's favourite)- The Wake. Nautical nightmares from the hottest writer today. I loved their work on American Vampire. Did this series just start? If it's been out for a bit I might just wait for the TPB.

Unwritten (now crossing over with Fables)Did you just spoil this for me :mellow:

Grant Morrison is my personal comic god. Did you read his Batman Inc. run?

I think The Wake is four ish deep. Unwritten and Fables crossover is advertised right on the cover. It was done for the 50th issue of Unwritten but I'm not sure how long they'll keep at it.

Yaksha
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Not yet but it's on my list. I'm going through my backlog right now.

harrison ryan
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Today I read Batman #21 and #22 by Snyder and Capullo and also The Death-Ray by Daniel Clowes. I've been away from the comics pile for a bit, but I keep more-or-less up-to-date on All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and The Walking Dead, and I eagerly await the new Jupiter's Legacy and Locke and Key.

SystemCrashOverRide
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/saga-2.jpg

OchrisO
08-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm super glad that everyone seems to be reading Saga now. I have probably said it in this thread before, but Fiona Staples is by far my favorite comic artist and she does amazing work on Saga and I hope she gets to keep doing it for a very long time.

harrison ryan
08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes! Saga is coming back soon (else I would have added it to my "currently reading" list). Chris, I don't think you'll have to worry about Fiona leaving the book anytime soon. BKV, et. al have the good sense to work some nice breaks into the schedule to avoid fill-ins...

pathoftheturtle
08-13-2013, 04:59 AM
plus a lot of people forget who Cap Britain's sister isClaremont stole her for his X-Men. In fact, he connected British and American comics in a few ways.

frik
08-19-2013, 08:15 AM
So glad these Warren magazines have been,and are, getting the royal treatment.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2013/01/2013-01-06-creepy_archives_vol_16.jpg

sk

fearless-freak
08-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Skin Trade #2

http://cdn.comixology.com/2013/JUN13/JUN130844.jpg

fernandito
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM

WeDealInLead
08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Saga, heck yeah! Add East of West and Prophet and make it a trilogy of weirdo S.F.

OchrisO
08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

http://i.qkme.me/3qrktj.jpg

Kingfan24
08-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Saga, heck yeah! Add East of West and Prophet and make it a trilogy of weirdo S.F.

East of west single issue prices are nuts right now

SystemCrashOverRide
08-20-2013, 05:30 AM
http://www.page45.com/store/1892597519.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T77E4sQl9o0/UNjYTwgqtdI/AAAAAAAAE8Q/qcJfLg4vM1M/s320/SEP120729.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jX_HOBKimnc/UggzLLvabaI/AAAAAAAAHhI/pIYjHJcA81U/s320/JUN130709.jpg http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/08/Saga_13-300x461.jpg

onlylivingboyinny
09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
SAGA, The Wake and Trillium would probably be my top 3 at the moment. The Walking Dead is slowly losing my interest.

harrison ryan
09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Reading some small-press stuff. Prison Pit by Johnny Ryan was hilarious. I enjoyed the new Jupiter's Legacy. Battle of the Atom over at Marvel has been okay, love those Art Adams covers. I haven't caught up on The Wake or Saga just yet, they're in the "to-read" pile.

fernandito
10-01-2013, 09:29 AM
The Walking Dead lost my interest like 5 TPB's ago. I'm thinking of not moving forward with the TV show either.

I started Animal Man and Ex Machina recently. Both are excellent.

OchrisO
10-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Ex Machina is super good. I've still been reading and enjoying The Walking Dead.

I've still been reading Morning Glories, which is one of the strangest and yet most interesting comics I have read lately. Trying to figure out what is going on is really fun for me.

WeDealInLead
10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
I'll check the library for Morning Glories trades. I remember I had the first issue and didn't think much of it. Sold it on eBay for twenty bucks and bought some Warren Ellis trades. A good deal, if I may say so.

I just got the books from the shop and it's Lazarus, East of West, Trilium and Unwritten. Sooo many good non-superhero books coming out.

fernandito
10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't really read superhero comics anymore. It's the same old shit. The only superhero book(s) I read is Batman, but that's because he's my all time favorite.

I'd much, much rather read indie titles. I love the unpredictability and the fact that they don't have to adhere to decades old tropes.

WeDealInLead
10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Same. I have the classic Batman titles and I read Snyder's Batman but stopped when The Death in the Family arc finished. I don't think he could ever top those first 18 (I think) issues. I have Joss Wheedon's run of X-Men, FF by Warren Ellis, a few books by Frank Miller but overall, supes are maybe 1% of my comic book collection. IDW, Oni, Avatar, Image, some Boom! is where it's at.

fernandito
10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Anything, anything Vertigo is also great too.

Ex Machina, Sandman, Fables, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Transmetropolitan, The Invisibles, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, The Unwritten. Their stable is just fucking ridiculous.

Kingfan24
10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
If anyone is interested in buying a half complete run 49-114 of walking dead let me know - all in mint condition. Also have a lot of early stuff if anyone is interested!

OchrisO
10-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Invincible is a superhero book that is well worth reading.

fernandito
10-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I'll look into it Chris.

Who here has read Charles Burns' Black Hole? Apparently David Fincher and Brad Pitt are circling the IP.

Tatts4Life
10-14-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm waiting for comixology to do a sale on invincible before I go and start reading it. I've been catching up on walking dead since I'm 14 issues behind. Also catching up on fables.

WeDealInLead
10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
I'm waiting for comixology to do a sale on invincible before I go and start reading it. I've been catching up on walking dead since I'm 14 issues behind. Also catching up on fables.

Fables are great. If you're a fan of those books, check out Unwritten. They have a similar vibe and there's actually a Fables/Unwritten crossover for #50 of Unwritten.

frik
10-14-2013, 06:50 AM
http://themalaysianreader.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_05491.jpg

Have loved the 1st omnibus (reprint),am loving this second.
But - why has there been no third collection?
Or is there?

sk

fearless-freak
10-14-2013, 06:59 AM
George R R Martin's Skin Trade #3

Tatts4Life
10-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I'll have to check it out, thanks. Oh also not much of a comic story but it did take place at my local store. So the other day Game of Thrones author George RR Martin was signing books at the store for about two hours. There ended up being a small enough group that people got to talk to him and ask him questions. Unfortunately I don't own any hard copies of his books and because of the government shut down I didn't have the money to spare to get a book. So posses I couldn't go.

Tatts4Life
12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Anybody out there been a long time reader of Detective Comics? I was wondering what a good jumping on point for the old comics from 1937-2011 would be. As of right now comixology has in a consecutive run issue 722 through the final issue 881 before DC started the new 52 series.

frik
12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781401242343_p0_v3_s600.JPG

sk

Tatts4Life
12-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Anybody read the one shots
Bruce Wayne: The Road Home (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Wayne:_The_Road_Home)? Are they a must read to understand what happened between final crisis and batman inc or can I skip them since I can only find it on amazon and not on comixology?

WeDealInLead
12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm thinning out my pull-list at the shop. I don't have a single superhero book from the Big Two anymore. I just don't care for adventure after adventure after adventure. How many shenanigans can one get into in a lifetime? Boring. I really, really like the New 52 in their initial stages (first arc or two each) but I dropped them all slowly when they started getting stale. I still think first two arcs of Batman by Snyder will be considered a must-have in years to come but past The Death in the Family, I just don't care.

I like my stories to have a beginning and end. Read Neil Gaiman's intro to Rising Stars to see why that makes sense.

Reading The Wake by Scott Snyder. Epic, scary apocalyptic stuff. Trillium by Jeff Lemire. Prophet, Saga, East of West for super smart, weird S.F. Unwritten if you miss Harry Potter but add some beheadings, murder, dismemberment and such.

I also get trades and hardcovers of BPRD, Fatale, 100 Bullets. Most things on Image and Vertigo really.

Tatts4Life
12-08-2013, 08:50 AM
When it come to comics from a brick and mortar store I was only getting the dark tower comics because comixology wasn't carrying them. I only get my comics from comixology now since it takes up a whole lot less space. Plus if I wait long enough they cost a whole lot less. When it comes to superhero comics I'm only getting the big batman stories like city of owls, long Halloween, and others.

Shannon
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I just read 1 - 5 of Irredeemable. Fucking amazing. I keep checking eBay for the rest of them (6 - 10) but no luck with decent prices thus far. Now my bathroom reading consists of Code of Honor, the Marvel semi-sequel to Marvels/Marvels: Eye of the Beholder.

WeDealInLead
12-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I have the complete run in single issues. We could trade if you still have anything left by King I don't already have.

Shannon
12-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Nah, thanks though. I only collect graphic novels. So much easier.

fernandito
12-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I just read 1 - 5 of Irredeemable. Fucking amazing.
I just looked it up.

Mark Waid? Welp. I'm sold. The premise sounds fucking awesome.

Shannon
12-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Let's see, what have I read recently ...

Superman: Grounded - Excellent

Spider-Man: Reign - Really, really good. I'm surprised this didn't get more praise (at least, as far as I know). I think it's the equivalent to DC's The Dark Knight Returns.

Now I'm reading All-Star Superman and then after that I have Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet.

fernandito
12-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Fables : 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Finally got around to reading this.

WeDealInLead
12-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I just got Absolute Death and Morrison's Animal Man omnibus is on the way to me so I think I'll be reading those. I also have the Spawn Compendium 1. It's the same size as TWD compendiums.

Tatts4Life
01-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Is it a comic or more of a story book with some pictures? I was thinking of getting it but don't know if I should get the kindle version or paperback version. I own all the fable comics on comixology so I was wondering if it was more of a comic or novel.

OchrisO
01-10-2014, 03:09 AM
I spent part of today catching up on the five issues I was behind on on Mind the Gap.

Worth it.

fernandito
01-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Is it a comic or more of a story book with some pictures? I was thinking of getting it but don't know if I should get the kindle version or paperback version. I own all the fable comics on comixology so I was wondering if it was more of a comic or novel.It's a comic, and it very much keeps in line with the tone and style of the rest of the Fables series. If you're a Fables collector, definitely get this.

Shannon
01-10-2014, 04:15 PM
All-Star Superman was great, duh.

Marvel's Contest of Champions was a waste of time.

Infinity Gauntlet was very hard for me to get into, I started skipping around once I hit the 25% point.

Black Orchid was beautifully drawn (Dave McKean), but the story itself (Neil Gaimen) was very simple. A little too simple and uneventlful. Great characters, not enough story.

Wolverine Goes To Hell (starts the Wolverine Volume 4 series): Amazing. Dark, brutal, and very enjoyable. Looking for the second volume (Wolverine Vs. The X-Men) now.

Ultimate X-Men 1-3 (I'm on the fourth one now): Very well done so far. Sabretooth was kind of a disappointment, but it's all good. And it features the hottest, sexiest, sluttiest Jean Grey of all time. :)

fernandito
01-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Ex Machina is fucking nuts. Brian K. Vaughn is slowly crawling to my personal top 5 creators.

OchrisO
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Ex Machina is fucking nuts. Brian K. Vaughn is slowly crawling to my personal top 5 creators.

He's way up on my list as well.

Tatts4Life
01-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Did anybody here read the batman story arc No Man's Land, is it worth trying to find all the comics?

Shannon
01-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Loved it.

pathoftheturtle
01-18-2014, 09:53 PM
It wasn't worth trying to find all the comics to me. I thought that it was vastly overblown, and only read some parts. But it kind of depends what you're into. I do think those comics are better than The Dark Knight Rises, which was, besides, a major letdown from the preceding film in my view.

Shannon
01-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Just get the graphic novels. It's strange though, in one No Man's Land set there are five books and in another there are four books. Maybe they squished the five books into four books? Very strange indeed.

Read Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey Parts 1, 2, and 3. Very disappointed. Yes, Doomsday returned, yes, Cyborg returned, but ... like ... a ten second fight and then a convenient ending? Lame. I think the next spot on my Superman/Doomsday reading list is when they team up. I think. I have to do some research.

Reading Ultimate X-Men 5, the one where it's the Ultimates Vs. The X-Men. Pretty good so far.

Oh, and Amber just finished Sandman 8! She's almost at the end, I'm so excited for her.

fearless-freak
01-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Night of The Living Deadpool #1
Deadpool: The Gauntlet #1
Rat Queens #4
The Wraith #3
Museum of The Weird #1

Shannon
01-19-2014, 03:52 AM
lol @ "Night Of The Living Deadpool"

I just bought my first Deadpool comics today, actually: Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, Deadpool: Killustrated, and Deadpool Kills Deadpool.

fearless-freak
01-19-2014, 04:01 AM
i don't usually read Deadpool or a lot of Marvel anymore

Tatts4Life
01-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Shannon from what I read they did condense it into four HUGE volumes. I think I read that they even added a few things that were missing from them. It kind of sucks that the only way to get the full series is through amazon either on kindle or paperback. Since I bought my iPad I've been buying comics mainly through comixology and converting my old comics into digital. Converting being re buying and storing my physical copies. Also comixology is nice because they update the colors. If I buy it on kindle then it looks dull and muted.

WeDealInLead
01-19-2014, 07:33 AM
I just finished Nowhere Man. Normally trades collect four of five issues. This one is six and there is a lot to read. Its design is brilliant: there are mock newspapers articles and interviews with a group of scientists, following the rise and fall and fallout of their group. Super smart stuff. Priced at ten bucks so you really can't go wrong. I'll add this title to an ever-growing list of superb titles Image has been publishing in the last few years.

Reading: Queen and Country 1 by Greg Rucka

Shannon
01-19-2014, 08:45 AM
eBay is way to go. The striped line going vertical is the older set (5 books) and the striped line going horizontal is the newer set (4 books).

OLDER:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-TPB-LOT-BATMAN-NO-MANS-LAND-CATWOMAN-BANE-ROBIN-JOKER-/301070707603?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item4619366b93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-No-Mans-Land-TPB-complete-set-vols-1-5-/281244384263?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item417b78bc07

NEWER:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-No-Mans-Land-TPB-lot-Volume-1-4-complete-collection-/321299424877?pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&hash=item4acef0266d

Stockerlone
01-19-2014, 10:54 AM
From Juan López Fernández, original title: Superlópez
In Germany as Super-Meier published 1980–1986 / nr. 1-12

Super-Meier 1-12
first time in more the 25+++ years that i looked at my complete set of the
German Comics
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT2728.JPG

Super-Meier vs. his team (not so funny for Cap, Thing, Iron-Man...) / Super-Meier vs. evil robot
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT2719.JPG

Super-Meier vs. other evil robot / Super-Meier back to earth
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT27241.JPG

DoctorDodge
01-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Those Superlopez/Super-Meier comics look funny. Remind me of the comics I used to read as a kid, particularly the Beano and the Dandy.

OchrisO
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Night of The Living Deadpool #1
Deadpool: The Gauntlet #1
Rat Queens #4
The Wraith #3
Museum of The Weird #1

I'm really enjoying Rat Queens.

fernandito
01-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Everyone needs to read The Manhattan Projects.

EVERYONE.

WeDealInLead
01-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Everyone needs to read The Manhattan Project.

EVERYONE.

Yes. And bookend it with Nowhere Men. Even the design is similar.

fearless-freak
01-25-2014, 09:43 AM
George A Romero's Empire of The Dead #1
Legends of Red Sonja #2 & 3
Judge Dredd: Mega-City two #1
Appleseed

Shannon
01-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Finished Wolverine (v4) 2: Wolverine Vs. The X-Men, the second part of the Wolverine Goes To Hell story arc. Loved it. Now I'm searching for the third part, Wolverine's Revenge, but I keep finding trade paperbacks for around $10, which is more than I like to pay at a time, because I buy so many.

Just started Ultimate X-Men 6.

Tatts4Life
01-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Has anybody here read the series The Unwritten? Comixology is having a 99 cent sale for the next few days and was wondering if it was worth getting into.

WeDealInLead
01-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Great book. It's my favourite current Vertigo title.

OchrisO
01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Has anybody here read the series The Unwritten? Comixology is having a 99 cent sale for the next few days and was wondering if it was worth getting into.

It is a great book with a lot of depth. It is defintely worth getting into.

WeDealInLead
01-29-2014, 09:18 AM
I just traded some stuff in for store credit. I got more than what I was expecting and ended up buying Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 5. I just love that dark, ominous art.

Shannon
01-29-2014, 10:04 AM
I just bought this ... SOOOOO EXCITEEDDDD!!

http://comicreviewsbywalt.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/deathandreturnofsupermanomnibus.jpg

Tatts4Life
01-29-2014, 01:38 PM
That's cool. I still have my original comics some where.

Tatts4Life
02-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Supposedly the final collected edition of the Locke and Key series comes out next week. I can't wait. I just hope that what I read is true and it does come out Wednesday on comixology.

fearless-freak
02-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Judge Dredd (IDW series) #15
Night Of The Living Deadpool #2
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #1

fernandito
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
My shop had a %25 off EVERYTHING sale this past Saturday. You can bet your collective asses I took full advantage of that. I walked out with

Nowhere Men Vol. 1
Ex Machina Vol. 2
The Unwritten Vol. 5
Manhattan Projects Vol. 3
Animal Man Vol. 3
Fables Vol. 18

fearless-freak
02-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Fables is such a great series

Tatts4Life
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
LOVE fables, so sad it's ending soon. I just started reading unwritten. Seems interesting so far.

Tatts4Life
02-05-2014, 01:13 PM
WOW screw you comixology! Awhile back I bought the collected story arc of Batman And Son which covered Bruce Wayne finding out he had a son. We'll today they released Batman and Son deluxe edition which includes the Batman and Son story arc and the introduction to the Black Glove story arc which happened during the batman and son story arc. What sucks is on comixology batman and son was collected for $12 but I had to get the Black glove comics for $2 each which totaled close to $24 maybe less. Well now comixology has the big set for $12, basically triple the comics for the same price I originally payed.

Shannon
02-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Ultimate X-Men 10 (the last one I have at the moment)

then I get to start the following New 52 tpbs:

Suicide Squad 1
Batman 1
Batman Detective Comics 1
Batman & Robin 1

Yay! I've been wanting these for a while. Not sure how I'm going to keep the individual storylines straight if I'm reading the different titles one right after the other, but oh well!

fernandito
02-06-2014, 08:51 AM
LOVE fables, so sad it's ending soon. I just started reading unwritten. Seems interesting so far.

The Unwritten is such a great fucking series. If you love Fables, you'll definitely that too.

fernandito
02-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Nowhere Men is fucking amazing. I'm in love.

Tatts4Life
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
The Bunker on comixology. They've done five sort of mini issues so far. But now ONI Press has has picked up the series they they collected all five issues into what is now issue one of The Bunker. It's a great series. It's about a group of friends that go out into the woods to bury a time capsule to dig up in the future. What ends up happening is the find a bunker with their names on the outside. When they go in they find tons of notes and letters from their future selves telling them something bad happened and they need to fix it.

fernandito
02-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Nowhere Men is fucking amazing. I'm in love.
It looks like Image only released a new issue once every 2-3 months? What is this bs

fearless-freak
02-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Red Sonja: Berserker (one-shot)

WeDealInLead
02-15-2014, 03:33 PM
I just re-read Unwritten 2: Inside Man. I read it only in single issue format years ago and man, it's better the second time around. There are so many details and nuances I missed.

Reading Manhattan Projects 2.

fernandito
02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
I blazed through Manhattan Projects. Love it. Thinking of picking up some more of Hickman's (sp?) work.

WeDealInLead
02-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I blazed through Manhattan Projects. Love it. Thinking of picking up some more of Hickman's (sp?) work.

He's picking up Warren Ellis's slack when it comes to weirdo, imaginative, creative SF with sharp dialogue.

fearless-freak
02-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Night of the Living Deadpool #3
Red Sonja #7
Ash and The Army of Darkness #4
Seekers of the Weird #2

Stockerlone
03-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Reinhard Kleist - Der Boxer
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT1429.JPG

Reinhard Kleist in London 06 + 07 March 2014
http://www.reinhard-kleist.de/?lang=en
http://www.goshlondon.com/2014/02/gosh-presents-british-comics-month/

fearless-freak
03-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Judge Dredd #16
Rat Queens #5
Robotech Voltron #2
Legends of Red Sonja #4
Wraith #4
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #2

Shannon
03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Morning Glories volume 1. Love it.

fernandito
03-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Morning Glories volume 1. Love it.
Damn, everyone talks about that! Must read soon.

Shannon
03-05-2014, 03:27 PM
It's one of the rare comics that gives you more questions than answers. People have compared it to Lost, and while there's no smoke monster, I can definitely see the comparison.

OchrisO
03-05-2014, 08:31 PM
It's one of the rare comics that gives you more questions than answers. People have compared it to Lost, and while there's no smoke monster, I can definitely see the comparison.

It is one of my favorite comics these days. I trumpet its praises all the time. I am not sure if they put them in the trades, but in the single issues, eventually they started publishing an article in the back(by a third party) the analyzes and postulates theories about the series because it is so complex. I love it. It is called Professor Meylikov's Notes From Study Hall and is well worth the read if they are in there.

fearless-freak
03-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Night of The Living Deadpool #4
Rogue Trooper (IDW run) #1
Tales of Honor #1

frik
03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/4712/books_readings-38265.jpeg

sk

WeDealInLead
03-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Bedlam Vol. 2 Who I Am (same writer as Morning Glories FYI). Great book. Gruesome and smart.

The Compleat Terminal City TPB

Satellite Sam Vol. 1

Single issues: Lazarus, Revenge, Unwritten, Trillium, The Wake (it's a Holy Shit! kinda comic), Undertow.

Just finished:
Jonathan Lethem - Omega the Unknown
Jeff Lemire - Animal Man vol 1, The Hunt

Shannon
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Just started (and then promptly started skipping around) Batman Incorporated. Fucking horrible.

Tatts4Life
03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah I started the first half and got about two or three comics I to it and stopped. I really wanted to read it too since I know what happens at the end of it all.

I just got done reading the Locke and Key series and loved it. I still don't know how what happened at the end happened. What a great series.

fernandito
03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Just started (and then promptly started skipping around) Batman Incorporated. Fucking horrible.

Just pick up the last TPB of that run and wiki the rest. It has one of the most earth shattering finales ever and something happens there that will become a core part of Batman's lore for years and years to come.

fearless-freak
03-15-2014, 07:39 AM
The Crow: Pestilence #1
Judge Dredd (IDW run)#17
Ghost #2
The Punisher #2

Brainslinger
03-15-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm currently reading:

2000 AD and Judge Dredd Magazine Variable quality as anthology but pretty good.
All Star Western, Animal Man and Swamp Thing (Not so New 52 DC Comixology downloads.) Again pretty good.
Revolutionary War. A Marvel mini series based around characters from Marvel UK. Not bad. I find it a bit rubbish, but entertaining rubbish.

The Royals Masters of War- Just one issue in but so far rather good.

Just finished Dept. Of Monsterology. A four part mini series that's getting a second series later this year (probably). Highly recommended.

Recently pulled the first Elephant Men volume from Comixology. Oh and a whole bunch of American Vampire comics that were going cheap. Again... good stuff. Been spoiled with good comics lately.

Oh yeah, I recently read Planet Hulk. It says something that I liked this lesser than the above (with the possible exception of the Revolutionary War comics but they're pretty light) yet still thought it rather good.

WeDealInLead
03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Trades:

Saga 3, Mind the Gap 3, Ghosted, Five Ghosts, Corto Maltese and I'm about to have my mind blown with Prophet 3 and Alan Moore's newest chapter in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Nemo, The Roses of Berlin.

Monthlies:

Unwritten, American Vampire, Lazarus, East of West, Trillium, The Wake. All latest issues.

Tatts4Life
03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
SOOOOO excited that american vampire is finally back.

fernandito
03-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Oh, the Trillium TPB is out now? Noiiiiiice!

And I've been looking forward to Saga 3 for so long. Picking that up this weekend.

WeDealInLead
03-21-2014, 03:07 PM
No, Trillium is still a monthly. Three more issues to go though.

Nemo by Moore was nuts. 1/4 of it is in German. Moore wouldn't be Moore if he'd make it easy on us.

Shannon
03-21-2014, 10:03 PM
What have I read recently? Hmmm ...

Batgirl (New 52) Volume 1: Excellent! I started this as a lark, because I had purchased it in an eBay lot with other Bat books but I had no intention of reading it. But, I read the other Bat books and when it comes time to sell it, I figure I'll include this one and Catwoman Volume 1 as well to up the price. It was really good! The character is very likeable, very flawed. The story was good as well. Very much looking forward to picking up the next volume soon.

Batman And Robin (New 52) Volume 2: This one was pretty decent, nothing excellent though. The bulk of the book is the new Robin (Damien) challenging the former Robins. Why? Because Damien is a little shit, that's why, lol. Enjoyable enough.

Just started Catwoman (New 52) Volume 1: Not into it at the moment. All tits, no story. But maybe it'll develop the more I get into it.

Wolverine MAX Volumes 1 and 2 (the third Volume is being released soon methinks). Excellent. This is Wolverine the way he was meant to be portrayed. Blood and guts everywhere, he's fucking hot women every so often, the curses aren't bleeped, and so on. The only downside for me is the artwork. Not the best. Story good, art bad.

Arkham Asylum: Madness: Not sure where this one thought it was heading, but it was an OK read. The "behind-the-scenes" goings on at the asylum. But not too much happens. Eh.

Next on my list is Dial H (New 52) Volume 1. The premise sounds interesting.

fearless-freak
03-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Empire of The Dead #2
The Punisher #3
Clockwork Angels #1 (yes, Rush have released the story of the album Clockwork Angels)
Hellboy 20th anniversary sampler
The Witcher #1

OchrisO
03-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I've been reading the New 52 Wonder Woman as of late and I love it. I really like that they are focusing heavily on the mythology aspects of the character.

Shannon
03-22-2014, 09:48 PM
I've never really delved into any Wonder Woman comics. Should I pick up the New 52 trades? Turn me into a fan ... go! lol

OchrisO
03-23-2014, 12:18 AM
I've never really delved into any Wonder Woman comics. Should I pick up the New 52 trades? Turn me into a fan ... go! lol

Zeus is missing, the throne of Olympus is empty and the gods scheme and vie for it. There is a prophecy about one of Zeus's bastards and Wonder Woman does everything he can to protect a young woman and her unborn child who are caught up in it.

fearless-freak
03-23-2014, 12:45 AM
all in all a normal day for Wonder Woman

WeDealInLead
03-23-2014, 05:30 AM
I'd say the New 52 WW is the best WW I've ever read. Artwork looks great too.

Shannon
03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Sounds good to me, thanks!

Speaking of which, I just won two eBay auctions, the complete Ultimate Spider-Man trades and the complete Ultimate X-Men trades. It came out to around $2.50 per book, VERY happy.

WeDealInLead
03-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Recent reads:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/abouttosnap1/pevil005_zps2557a52d.jpg

The Wake #7 came out today. I love that book.

ELazansky
03-26-2014, 08:45 AM
I decided to start reading Fables. Looks interesting. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Has anyone read Grimm Fairy Tales from Zenescope? I heard the first 35-40 issues were good, then they go away from the fairy tales and into super powers. I was going to buy the box set of the first six trades, which is around 40 or so issues.

fernandito
03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Recent reads:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/abouttosnap1/pevil005_zps2557a52d.jpg

The Wake #7 came out today. I love that book.
How's Five Ghosts?

I decided to start reading Fables. Looks interesting. Hope it lives up to the hype.

One of my all time favorite series. Enjoy!

WeDealInLead
03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I give 5G solid five stars. And you can't go wrong for ten bucks.

Tatts4Life
03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I love the fables series and the grimm fairy tales series is really good too. My favorite series by Zenescope though is all the Alice in Wonderland books. They did an awesome job at repelling a creepy version of the story that is really cool.

KatetOfNineteen
03-28-2014, 09:47 PM
I started reading Insomnia after finishing the Dark Tower. I got through about 100 pages and stopped. I bought a book I'm super interested in "Zelda and Philosophy: I Link Therefore I am", dealing with the Philisophical meaning of video games and their power over our imagination. It's pretty damn good for only being 10 pages in.

Shannon
03-28-2014, 10:42 PM
I didn't know they made an Insomnia comic book ... ;)

Let's see, what have I read recently ... The first volume of Dial H: I was a little unimpressed with it. The idea behind it is a good one, but the dialogue itself is very random. Very clunky.

And now I'm reading The Death of Wolverine, which actually comes before Wolverine Goes To Hell, so I'm kind of reading them backwards. Oh well.

fearless-freak
03-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Legends Of Red Sonja #5
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #3
A Game Of Thrones #19
Empire Of The Dead #3
Wraith #5

Shannon
03-29-2014, 11:30 PM
How is the Game of Thrones series? Amber got me the first volume as a birthday present, and we're both huge fans of the show. Haven't started it yet.

fearless-freak
03-30-2014, 12:38 AM
they've had to take chunks out for a 24 issue run

aglance
04-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm still in the first graphic novel of Saga-how is it holding up?

fearless-freak
04-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Rogue Trooper (IDW run) #3
The Punisher #4
Red Sonja #8

WeDealInLead
04-09-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm still in the first graphic novel of Saga-how is it holding up?

Steady upwards trajectory.

Trillium ended last week. Satisfying and only possible ending but overall, a little underwhelming.

fearless-freak
04-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Dredd: Underbelly
Red Sonja And Cub (one shot)
Ash and the Army of Darkness #5
Judge Dredd (IDW run) #18

WeDealInLead
04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
I just read two new trades. New as in 2014 books. They're Hinterkind from Vertigo and Zero from Image. You should get them. Seriously.

That's all.

Also, I just reread Neonomicon and it's still as disturbing as the first time around.

fearless-freak
04-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Ghost #3
Frankenstein Alive, Alive! #3
The Crow: Pestilence #2

frik
04-19-2014, 05:53 AM
http://egmont-comic-collection.de/mediadaten/images/ecc/cover_xl/978-3-7704-3564-7.jpg

sk

SirJohn
04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I finally picked up the hardcover Marvel comic 'The Battle of Tull'. Looking pretty damned cool so far. That whole series I have really been impressed with.

-SJ

SirJohn
04-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Since I have not bought an actual comic book in over 30 years, I didn't even KNOW the Marvel graphic novels of the Dark Tower were comic book collections. Behind the times it seems.

-SJ

SirJohn
04-21-2014, 11:13 AM
... are there any others planned?

SirJohn
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Ha. I just found info on amazon about 'The Man In Black'. Please bear with me folks. Like I said, I'm behind the times on the whole 'comics' thing.

-SJ

fearless-freak
04-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Rogue Trooper (IDW run) #3
Ash And The Army Of Darkness #6
The Witcher #2
A Game Of Thrones #20

OchrisO
04-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Humble Bundle has a great deal(in that you can pay whatever you want for them, with certain comics added when you pay more than the average donation) on some digital comics right now and a few of them are comics that I am always trying to get people to read(Saga, Morning Glories).
This humble bundle lasts for the next 13 days. It would be a good chance to try out some great series.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

SirJohn
05-11-2014, 07:41 AM
I just finished 'The Battle of Tull'. Too cool. I really do enjoy the Marvel graphic novels.

-SJ

fearless-freak
05-11-2014, 08:01 AM
The Punisher #5
Rat Queens #6
Red Sonja #9

Brainslinger
05-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Rebellion:
2000 AD
Judge Dredd Megazine

DC:
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
All Star Western
The new Sandman prequel ( I forget the name. I might trade-wait the rest of these...but I doubt it.)

Vertigo:
The Royals Masters of War- A very different take on superheroes in a WW2 setting. Highly recommended.

Marvel:
Just finished Superior Spiderman vol.1.

Just started:
Amazing Spiderman #1: That's the new jumping on issue I mean not the one from decades back. Pretty amusing and good.
Original Sin.

WeDealInLead
05-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Monthlies: Nailbiter, The Wake, Unwritten, American Vampire, Lazarus, East of West

Recently read trades: Jonathan Hickman - Teeth, Kelly Sue DeConnick - Pretty Deadly. About to start Brandon Graham's (of Prophet fame) Multiple Warheads and King City.

WeDealInLead
05-17-2014, 07:15 AM
I just finished Perverts of the Unknown by Brandon Graham. Here's my review (and pardon my language but this was the first thing that came to mind):

What.
The.
Fuck.

fearless-freak
05-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Judge Dredd (IDW run) #18
Ash and the Army of Darkness #7
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #4

frik
05-17-2014, 08:57 AM
http://www.tijdschrift365.nl/content/UploadFolder/GA45_HR.jpg

sk

DoctorDodge
05-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I just finished Perverts of the Unknown by Brandon Graham. Here's my review (and pardon my language but this was the first thing that came to mind):

What.
The.
Fuck.

With a name like that, consider me curious. I'll have to check that out.

OchrisO
05-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I have been reading a Marvel event from last year called Infinity. I have really been enjoying it. It is Thanos related and I love me some Thanos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_%28comic_book%29

SirJohn
05-17-2014, 08:23 PM
I am reading the last in my OTHER graphic novel obsession... Dark Horse's adaptation of Conan the barbarian. I have been a huge Conan freak since about 1984. In my humble opinion, the ONLY Conan paperbacks worth reading, are those that were done by Howard/Sprague de Camp. Many other authors have written Conan stories (cough... Robert Jordan... cough), and each of them were utterly terrible. None were true to the character Howard created. What I have loved about the Dark Horse series of graphic novels is that the vast majority of the stories in the series are true to Howards Conan, as opposed to the ultra cheesy versions of the character that has appeared in so many terrible paperbacks.

fearless-freak
05-17-2014, 11:21 PM
The Savage Sword of Conan or the more recent ones like King Conan?

https://img0.etsystatic.com/021/0/8451796/il_570xN.489983928_rzce.jpg

Stockerlone
05-18-2014, 02:44 AM
New stuff from the
Free Comic Day 2014
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2893.JPG

frik
05-18-2014, 04:07 AM
And more stuff......

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/835/bzwt.jpg http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/835/71dm.jpg

sk

SirJohn
05-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Neither Savage Sword, or King Conan. The graphic novels are collected works of the more recent, modern Dark Horse Conan comics. Some to the titles are:

Born on the battlefield
The Frost Giants Daughter and other stories
The God in the bowl and other stories
The tower of the elephant and other stories
The Hall of the dead and other stories

... there are others, fifteen or sixteen in all so far. Extremely cool stuff. I highly recommend them if you are into Conan. Like I said, they follow the stories of the 'original' Conan character... not the cheesy after market wannabee versions that came
later.

Shannon
05-26-2014, 01:20 AM
Almost done with Ultimate X-Men. I've loved it so far, but I have a question before I continue: What is the reading order of the end of the series? I know it ends with Ultimatum, but ...

There is Ultimatum: Ultimate X-Men/Ultimate Fantastic Four, which has the final three issues of Ultimate X-Men (98-100) and the final three issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four (58-60), but then there is an Ultimatum graphic novel which collects Ultimatum 1-5. Without spoiling anything, should I read the Ultimatum: X-Men/Fantastic Four graphic novel or the Ultimatum 1-5 graphic novel first? I'm buying them both (along with Ultimatum: Requiem, which obviously comes afterward) but I'd like to read them in order.

fearless-freak
05-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Rogue Trooper (IDW run) #4
Wraith #6 (anyone else find a certain marvel character in this issue?)
Pathfinder: City Of Secrets #1

fernandito
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Has anyone read Hickman's East of West?

I just started vol. 1... and oh look, I just finished it too. Fantastic. Between this and Manhattan Projects, Hickman is wedging his way up there on my list. I want to give Pax Romana a shot.

fernandito
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Almost done with Ultimate X-Men. I've loved it so far, but I have a question before I continue: What is the reading order of the end of the series? I know it ends with Ultimatum, but ...

There is Ultimatum: Ultimate X-Men/Ultimate Fantastic Four, which has the final three issues of Ultimate X-Men (98-100) and the final three issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four (58-60), but then there is an Ultimatum graphic novel which collects Ultimatum 1-5. Without spoiling anything, should I read the Ultimatum: X-Men/Fantastic Four graphic novel or the Ultimatum 1-5 graphic novel first? I'm buying them both (along with Ultimatum: Requiem, which obviously comes afterward) but I'd like to read them in order.

I love anything X-Men but jesus christ the continuity for that series drives me up a fucking wall lol. I've given up trying to follow things 'chronologically', I just pick out a story arc I like and read that.

Have you read the Messiah Complex?

Shannon
05-28-2014, 02:09 PM
It's been pretty straight-forward so far, but at the end there's this big Ultimatum crossover event. And since I haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man yet, I don't want to be spoiled.

We'll see.

WeDealInLead
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Has anyone read Hickman's East of West?

I just started vol. 1... and oh look, I just finished it too. Fantastic. Between this and Manhattan Projects, Hickman is wedging his way up there on my list. I want to give Pax Romana a shot.

He's definitely trying his best to climb my list. There's an open spot for smart S.F. now that Warren Ellis is busy with other things. EoW #12 came out last week and it was glorious. The only issue I have with EoW and all Hickman books really, is wasted space. There are at least four blank pages in each book. I get what he's trying to do but I feel cheated every time there is a two page spread and only a single quote from the book. Maybe it's an aesthetic thing (the art really is sharp), maybe he's trying to set some sort of doomy, ominous tone to the book but it doesn't quite work for me. Same for Manhattan Projects. There could be so much more story instead of sometimes even blank pages.

That said, here's my current top 5 on-going books, in no particular order:

Prophet (check it out if you like East of West. It's a lot more nebulous and trippy but extremely well done)
Manhattan Projects
The Wake
Lazarus
East of West

Actually, I can't limit the list to just 5 so here's a few more:

Bedlam (from the writer of Morning Glories, gnarly shit)
Hinterkind
Zero
Saga
Peter Panzerfaust
Pretty Deadly

Single issues that just started: Nail Biter and Trees by Warren Ellis. I jogged to my car from the shop after I bought Trees, I couldn't wait to get home to devour it. I honestly haven't looked forward to a new book that much in a looong time. It didn't disappoint.

fernandito
05-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I have Prophet, Pretty Deadly and The Wake in my Amazon cart. Just waiting to finish Ex Machine so I can pull the trigger on either of those three. Which should I start first? Is Prophet an ongoing series or a single TPB?

Peter Panzerfaust is a series I strongly regret not starting from the first issue, my comic guy always raves about it. I'll add it to my list.

Have you heard of The Massive? Amazon recommended it to me (lol) based on my previous purchases.

frik
05-30-2014, 10:45 AM
http://budsartbooks.com/prod_images/400/VAM09H.jpg

Still going strong - such an amazing series.

sk

WeDealInLead
05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I have Prophet, Pretty Deadly and The Wake in my Amazon cart. Just waiting to finish Ex Machine so I can pull the trigger on either of those three. Which should I start first? Is Prophet an ongoing series or a single TPB?

Peter Panzerfaust is a series I strongly regret not starting from the first issue, my comic guy always raves about it. I'll add it to my list.

Have you heard of The Massive? Amazon recommended it to me (lol) based on my previous purchases.

Normally I'd say The Wake but the series isn't done yet. I think it's going to be a 10 book run and that's it. I'd save the $$$ and get the hardcover that will eventually collect both arcs.

All of the titles are ongoing but they're cheaper in trades, especially if you keep an eye out for discount codes at B&N etc.

I've been reading The Massive from the beginning, I even have the #1 variant somewhere in here. I dig it, solid 3.5/5.

Prophet v. Pretty Deadly. Tough call. My crystal ball says both. Prophet is really weird though. 3 trades out so far but it's ending soon.

I have only the first tpb of Panzerfaust. Thinking of selling it and getting the hardcovers from now on. They each collect two trades and are only a couple bucks more than the total for two trades. Much, much nicer though.

I finally read Sex Criminals by Matt Fractions. The man's nuts.

WeDealInLead
05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Honestly, I haven't been this excited about NEW creator-owned books in years. It seems like every Wednesday there is at least one smart, inventive and well-written trade either from Vertigo and Image. I just bought Black Science by Remender and Apocalypse Al by Straczynsky (silly name but the book is anything but) for ten bucks each, minus my 20% off member discount.

Shannon
05-31-2014, 01:31 AM
Just finished Wolverine: Enemy Of The State. Damn good story, especially issue #32, which is a one-off story about Logan haunting a Nazi concentration camp. Next is House Of M: Wolverine

fearless-freak
05-31-2014, 06:42 AM
Clive Barker's Nightbreed #1
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #5

OchrisO
05-31-2014, 08:02 PM

Pretty Deadly. It is fucking great.

The Massive is awesome. It is typical of Brian Wood stuff and pretty text heavy, but I really enjoy it. Another great Brian Wood series is DMZ. It is one of my favorite series that I binge-read in a while.

fernandito
06-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Ah yes! I have that on my queue as well. I don't think I'll be bringing that one to work with me tho, might elicit some strange reactions from my co workers lol.

The Massive is awesome. It is typical of Brian Wood stuff and pretty text heavy, but I really enjoy it. Another great Brian Wood series is DMZ. It is one of my favorite series that I binge-read in a while.
You know, I started collecting the DMZ TPB's back when it was really popular... I got to about Vol. 6 and I stopped collecting it. Idk why, I was really enjoying it but I guess other series caught my attention. I wanted to start it all over but I can't find vol's 1-3 anywhere, I wonder if I lent them out. It's the only reason I haven't jumped back on that series. I'm too cheap to buy them all over again lol.

OchrisO
06-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Ah yes! I have that on my queue as well. I don't think I'll be bringing that one to work with me tho, might elicit some strange reactions from my co workers lol.

You know, I started collecting the DMZ TPB's back when it was really popular... I got to about Vol. 6 and I stopped collecting it. Idk why, I was really enjoying it but I guess other series caught my attention. I wanted to start it all over but I can't find vol's 1-3 anywhere, I wonder if I lent them out. It's the only reason I haven't jumped back on that series. I'm too cheap to buy them all over again lol.

I run into that problem sometimes. I loaned out several different Sandman TPBs over time and forget who has them. haha. I usually just download digital issues and tell myself I already paid for the comics anyway. :P

WeDealInLead
06-12-2014, 05:37 AM
YO! I started a blog. It's mostly comics for now but I reviewed a couple of books too. Check it: http://nottooterrible.wordpress.com

I'm only going to review books that came out within last 12 months from whichever day I make the entry. I'm writing reviews of The Harlem Hellfighters, Suicide Risk and Black Science right now.

fernandito
06-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I'll check it out, Lead.

Saw this on my facebook feed yesterday, you guys ready?

Image Comics presents ROCHE LIMIT - a melting pot of crime, on the edge of the cosmos (https://imagecomics.com/content/view/roche-limita-melting-pot-of-crime-on-the-edge-of-the-cosmos)

Michael Moreci (HACK/SLASH: SON OF SAMHAIN, HOAX HUNTERS) teams up with Vic Malhotra (X-Files: Year Zero, Thumbprint) to bring readers an all-new science-fiction crime mystery series. Blending 2001: A Space Odyssey with Blade Runner, ROCHE LIMIT is slated for release in September by Image Comics.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

WeDealInLead
06-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Another winner for Image. I was sold when I read this: "Blending 2001: A Space Odyssey with Blade Runner"

fearless-freak
06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
you had me at that also

fernandito
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I wish Image would give us an update on Nowhere Men dammit.

fearless-freak
06-14-2014, 06:53 AM
V Wars #2
The Crow: Pestilence #3&4
Tales Of Honor #3
Pathfinder: City Of Secrets #2

Shannon
06-14-2014, 08:05 AM
About halfway through the Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus. Love it. This guy tears Wolverine apart like no other. See here:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs38/PRE/f/2008/349/6/b/Wolverine__Manifest_Destiny_by_EraserX.jpg

lol. A lot of his stories are standalone stories that shed light on Wolverine's past experiences. Some are better than others of course, but all in all, excellent.

frik
06-14-2014, 10:08 AM
http://www.tijdschrift365.nl/content/UploadFolder/GA45_HR.jpg

sk

Girlystevedave
06-14-2014, 12:01 PM
About halfway through the Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus. Love it. This guy tears Wolverine apart like no other. See here:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs38/PRE/f/2008/349/6/b/Wolverine__Manifest_Destiny_by_EraserX.jpg

lol. A lot of his stories are standalone stories that shed light on Wolverine's past experiences. Some are better than others of course, but all in all, excellent.

:o

That is pretty wicked looking. :thumbsup:

fearless-freak
06-21-2014, 06:09 AM
The Witcher #3
Wraith #7
Red Sonja #10

WeDealInLead
06-23-2014, 04:08 PM
I've read and posted reviews of the following: The Wicked + The Devine, Fatale 3, Velvet 1, Stark's Parker: Slayground, Harlem Hellfighters, and a cynical (not on purpose) but constructive and honest review of The Dark Man. http://nottooterrible.wordpress.com

fernandito
06-24-2014, 07:35 AM
I always look forward to see what you're reading, Deal! Great suggestions.

frik
06-24-2014, 12:12 PM
http://www.tijdschrift365.nl/content/UploadFolder/VBZJ2014hr.jpg

sk

DoctorZaius
06-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I just gave my daughter The Uncanny X-Men Volume 1 - great for her and great for me!

Shannon
06-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Started Daniel Way's Deadpool. Love it so far.

fernandito
06-25-2014, 07:13 AM
I love Deadpool but I can only handle him in very small doses. His schtick can get old, fast.

Stockerlone
06-28-2014, 12:48 AM
UNGEHEUER 2
Weissblech Comics
limited 100/100 signed remarqued from the illustrator Klaus Scherwinski
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2924.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2925.JPG

fearless-freak
06-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Big Trouble In Little China #1
Clive Barker's Nightbreed #2
Clockwork Angels #3

DoctorDodge
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
I love Deadpool but I can only handle him in very small doses. His schtick can get old, fast.

That's probably why he's so successful as an internet meme - small doses works for people who seek to be endlessly distracted.

WeDealInLead
06-28-2014, 05:54 PM
I always look forward to see what you're reading, Deal! Great suggestions.

Thanks man. Someone bought The Harlem Hellfighters because of my review and I'd by lying if I said that didn't make my day.

I'll throw up a few more reviews in a day or two when I'm not so busy. Unwritten 7, new edition of Escapo by Paul Pope, Kirkman's new book...probably something else too.

Brainslinger
06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I'll throw up a few more reviews in a day or two when I'm not so busy. Unwritten 7, new edition of Escapo by Paul Pope, Kirkman's new book...probably something else too.

Kirkman's ne the book, would that be Outcast? I read the first issue of that yesterday. It was pretty interesting.

frik
06-29-2014, 10:28 AM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/6/67663/3849984-16.jpg

sk

Shaggy
06-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone. New guy here.

I just finished reading the Marvel adaptation of The Stand, went through all of it in 2 days, and sadly I was underwhelmed. My biggest issue was probably that the characters didn't have enough agency. So much seemed to be predetermined by god/otherworldly forces. However, I still feel like I should give the novel a shot to be fair (never read it). Should i give it a go even if I was underwhelmed by the comic? I guess what I'm asking is whether the comic is an accurate adaptation of the novel .

Shannon
06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Reading Marvel's end to the Ultimates line: Ultimatum, Ultimatum: X-Men, and Ultimatum: Requiem. Huge thumbs down. What a fucking joke.

Brainslinger
07-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Hi everyone. New guy here.

I just finished reading the Marvel adaptation of The Stand, went through all of it in 2 days, and sadly I was underwhelmed. My biggest issue was probably that the characters didn't have enough agency. So much seemed to be predetermined by god/otherworldly forces. However, I still feel like I should give the novel a shot to be fair (never read it). Should i give it a go even if I was underwhelmed by the comic? I guess what I'm asking is whether the comic is an accurate adaptation of the novel .

I don't think I've read the entire Stand comics, but those themes are prevalent in the novel. So if you don't like them.... you might not like the novel. That being said in a text piece like a novel you see more of the characters thoughts and a stronger sense of their journey and turmoil so that might offset the forces / destiny stuff somewhat.

WeDealInLead
07-03-2014, 03:50 PM
I just posted nine new reviews. Phew, that was hard work. The Unwritten x 3, Alan Moore x 2, Paul Pope, Prophet, Saga, Great Pacific 2. http://nottooterrible.wordpress.com

Shannon
07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Just finished X-Men: Schism. What an excellent story.

fernandito
07-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Shannon - have you read Messiah Complex?

Stockerlone
07-04-2014, 01:37 AM
1000 Best Graphic Novels

http://www.comicsjuice.com/#!founders/cnyl

Shannon
07-05-2014, 08:07 AM
I haven't read Messiah Complex. When I was little, I was all about the X-Men. Loved loved loved them. Now, as I collect graphic novels and research everything, the X-Men titles get a little confusing and vast.

I'm sure eventually I'll get to them all, but the only reason I read Schism now is because it falls in between Wolverine: Wolverine's Revenge and Wolverine: Goodbye, Chinatown. Trying to finish off Wolverine Volume 4 and Deadpool Volume 2.

fearless-freak
07-05-2014, 08:44 AM
i've stopped reading alot of Marvel since the Marvel Now launched because in my opinion a lot of the characters have been toned down like Wolverine and Ghost Rider

Big Trouble In Little China #2
Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #6

WeDealInLead
07-17-2014, 10:10 AM
New issues of American Vampire and The Wicked + The Devine were really good.

I haven't posted any reviews in more than a week because I've been busy but I just finished posting five: Rat Queens, Zero, Hinterkind, Trekker, Deadly Class. I decided not to post that new Kirkman book because it wasn't that good and I'd rather write about books I'm stoked on. http://nottooterrible.wordpress.com