PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

fernandito
02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds interesting , will be on the lookout.

Brainslinger
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyone reading Superior? It's about a kid in a wheelchair who somehow ends up with super powers. Millar strikes again!

Hmm. I think that strip might be running in Clint.. It rings a bell, and it seems likely Millar being the editor. I didn't know it was about that though. Looks interesting.

Did you get a chance to pick this up? There is a WTF moment on the last page of #3. And yes, Millar is writting it. I'm also tempted to pick up back issues of his Nemesis.

I believe it starts next issue. As for nemesis, that was shown in CLiNT too, they just finished it this issue (#5) actually. Not the best strip I've read, but I quite enjoyed it. If you're thinking of grabbing back issues, you might want to get the GN (http://www.amazon.com/Nemesis-Mark-Millar/dp/0785148655/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297293253&sr=1-1) instead though. According to Amazon it comes out on 23 of this month. (Mind you it says it's 'in stock' too which seems a bit of a contradiction.)

WeDealInLead
02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
I'll pick up the HC of Nemesis once I clear the 'to be read' pile first.

Someone on here please tell me they're reading The Unwritten. I'm not going to be as bold as to say it's as good as Sandman but dammit, it's up there. I'm actually more emotionally attached to The Unwritten but that might be because I've been reading it since the first issue. I have never read a single Harry Potter book but based on what little I saw in the movies, I'd say Unwritten is somewhere between Sandman and Harry Potter and a healthy dose of bloodshed and murder.

fernandito
02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Picked up a few GC's Thursday :

Scalped Vol. 2
The Unwritten Vol. 2
Preacher Vol. 4

OchrisO
02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I've been reading Unwritten. I am a few issues behind right now. I like it a lot, but it has nothing on Sandman in my opinion.

feev, all excellent choices.

WeDealInLead
02-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Like I said, I've been with Unwritten from the start so maybe that's why. I think the final showdown will depend on how long Unwritten goes and how big will that universe get.

fernandito
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I've been reading Unwritten. I am a few issues behind right now. I like it a lot, but it has nothing on Sandman in my opinion.

feev, all excellent choices.

Most certainly not. Sandman is the greatest GC series ever, IMHO. It was my gateway into the wonderful world of saga-esque graphic novels.

Like I said, I've been with Unwritten from the start so maybe that's why. I think the final showdown will depend on how long Unwritten goes and how big will that universe get.

It depends. The universes of some series are so expansive that they can keep going even after it's principal end-game antagonist has been dispatched. Take Fables for example - the final issue should have been - in a conventional sense - the toppling of the empire and the downfall of the Emperor, but that universe is so rich in mythology and texture that the writers have taken it above and beyond. As long as the talent and will is there, and as long as it doesn't feel like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas, some series can go on for a long, long time.

WeDealInLead
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Point form response:

1) Most important point. I'm glad this corner is getting a little action. I wish more people took part in keeping threads active and interesting.

2) I've never read Fables. I always mean to start but than my money gets tied into something else (Vampirella... yowza!). If I do start reading Fables, I want to start with deluxe hardcovers because those look really nice.

3) If you truly want to see what an expanded comic/movie/whatever universe looks like, I suggest Star Wars comics. The hole is bottomless because at any given time, there are 3 different storylines coming out. A lot of people think SW stuff is silly but there are some really good writters and stories. The Thrawn Trilogy is a fine example. Dark Empire 1 and 2 etc. I have around 50 SW trades and yeah some are awful but most are great and follow continuity.

Emily
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I just started Scalped. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been meaning to start this for forever (hey Chris :lol: ) but never got around to it. I wish I hadn't decided to start it the day before I start my new job :lol: It's awesome so far.

I start reading Unwritten in the summer, but haven't gotten around to picking it up again. I really need to get back into it.

Fernando- Is this your first time reading Preacher? I think I've asked you this before but can't remember.

fernandito
02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
You mean is this my first read through ? If so, then yes. It's a great series.

Emily
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
That's what I meant. I couldn't remember if you'd read the whole thing already. It's one of my favorites.

fernandito
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
It's awesome, but then again, virtually anything that Vertigo does is awesome.

Hey , have you heard of / read The Invisibles by Grant Morrison ?

Emily
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I haven't read them, but we have them at my house and I always mean to start. They're sort of down on my list of things people want me to read, though. I think after Scalped it's a toss up between trying to start Fables or The Invisibles. :orely:

fernandito
02-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Fables and The Invisibles ? ♥ They're both in my top 5 GC series of all time. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Fables. Fables is currently 14 (and counting) Vols. long, while TI is only 7. They're completely different, but you can't go wrong with either.

OchrisO
02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
I just started Scalped. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been meaning to start this for forever (hey Chris :lol: ) but never got around to it. I wish I hadn't decided to start it the day before I start my new job :lol: It's awesome so far.

I start reading Unwritten in the summer, but haven't gotten around to picking it up again. I really need to get back into it.

Fernando- Is this your first time reading Preacher? I think I've asked you this before but can't remember.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kavin
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I am reading Batman Adventures currently. It is nice comics and so interesting.

Stream Movies Online (http://www.watchmoviesonlineinfo.com/)
Watch Full Movies Online (http://www.watchmoviesonline360.com/)

OchrisO
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
This thread keeps showing up on new posts, even though there isn't a new post. I am posting again just to see if it takes it off the list.

Right now, I am reading House of Mystery is amazing. Abel and Goldie from Neil Gaiman's Sandman just showed up in the issue that I am on.

Emily
02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
That kept happening for me too, and I know someone with the same name as the person who it said posted last, so I thought maybe they had blocked me. I suppose not, though.

Abel and Goldie?! I wanna read that!

OchrisO
02-21-2011, 10:18 PM
That kept happening for me too, and I know someone with the same name as the person who it said posted last, so I thought maybe they had blocked me. I suppose not, though.

Abel and Goldie?! I wanna read that!

There are a bunch of versions of House of Mystery. This is the 2008 Vertigo version. I am really enjoying it so far. Here is a little Synopsis thing that doesn't give too much away:
I'll put up a spoiler just in case people want to go into it knowing nothing about the story.

Cain (of Cain and Abel) attempts to return to the House of Mystery, his home in the Dreaming, and finds that it has disappeared. Meanwhile, in Texas, a former architecture student named Bethany "Fig" Keeler flees her burning house, saving only a handful of sketches she once made of a house from her dreams. Keeler is pursued by a "Pair of the Conception", agents of an entity known as the "Omneity"; they are two people, a male and a female, always holding hands. If they let go of one another, they will disappear. The pair chases her through a door and unwittingly into the House of Mystery, where she meets the inhabitants of the house bar and discovers the terms of what is apparently her imprisonment. Everyone must pay for their drinks with stories, and no one can leave without being picked up by the house's mysterious coachman. None of the house's occupants are sure why some people might get to leave and others not, so each person's stay is at least ostensibly eternal until the coachman inexplicably turns up to take them away. This doesn't stop some of the inhabitants from trying to get out, nor does it stop Cain from attempting to get back in

fernandito
02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Finally picked up the last vol of Morrison's The Invisibles. I'm both excited and saddened to reach the end of this particular journey, but all good things must come to an end.

I need a new series to get hooked on. Chris, I'm thinking of starting the Constantine series ...

OchrisO
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Finally picked up the last vol of Morrison's The Invisibles. I'm both excited and saddened to reach the end of this particular journey, but all good things must come to an end.

I need a new series to get hooked on. Chris, I'm thinking of starting the Constantine series ...

I really enjoy it. It's a long journey, though. haha. I think there are 275 issues of Hellblazer right now.

WeDealInLead
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I have quite a backlog of trades to go through: Swamp Thing HC vol.3, BPRD oversized HC vol. 1, AIR 4, DMZ and Scalped latest trades.

Kidd Ikarus
02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Just started on the first 3 issues of Age of X today. Its interesting. Espedially the new take on Scott Summers. But I'm not completely sold yet. I do like the Gambit charcter design . . . He kinda looks like "Metal Gear" Gambit. Haha

WeDealInLead
02-24-2011, 08:20 AM
DMZ down, rest still to go.

fernandito
02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I had started DMZ, I believe I made it as far as the 4th TPB, but then it became too predictable, formulaic, and dull. I might go back to finish it someday out of some blind sense of responsibility, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

WeDealInLead
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
basically, you got 1/2 way. some real shockers happen later.

I finished the latest trade. Bit of a twist at the end which set up the next run nicely.

I think Air is finished. I thought the idea was super interesting. I'll miss this series even though I only bought it in trades.

Faddah Callahan
02-25-2011, 10:23 AM
My local comic shop's bargain bin has recently been flooded by Hellblazers of varying dates, so I've been reading this really disjointed John Constantine narrative...

fernandito
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Faddah - Have you read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles ? I think that series might be right up your alley ...

Yaksha
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Just finished Vol. 1 of Brightest Day.

Brainslinger
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
I just finished Strontium Dog Search/Destroy Files Volume 1.

Largely good stuff!

I continue to read 2000 AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine and Clint. They're all on quite good form.

Ric
03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I know I'm ridiculously late to the game, but I'm just starting to re-read Neil Gaiman's Sandman from the beginning. I bought all 4 new Trades with the recolouring that was in Absolute, and I'll pick up the rest as they release. I had only read a couple of single issues of this way back when, so I'm looking forward to really getting into this world and taking it all in.

Brainslinger
03-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I bought the first volume of Sandman* for one of my friends for Christmas. She enjoyed it... then went on to buy volume 3 (I think). I'm forget why she went for that over 2. I think 2 probably wasn't available in the shop she entered. Mind you, I read them out of order too (and I haven't yet read them all) and it didn't really spoil anything. In my case it was a matter of getting what was available from the library.

*The new repainted paperback version. Those big volumes look wonderful but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

OchrisO
03-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Did you ever grab any Hellblazer? I have been rereading it from the beginning. I had originally read it sort of it bits and never read all of the 275 issues. I am loving it all over again.

Ric
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Just finished Alan Moore's Neonomicon and Wow...

That's pretty much all there is to say... wow. What a Lovecraftian mind warp.

Highly recommended.

harrison ryan
03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Did you ever grab any Hellblazer? I have been rereading it from the beginning. I had originally read it sort of it bits and never read all of the 275 issues. I am loving it all over again.

I recently bought and read the first four issues of Hellblazer: City of Demons. I love Sean Murphy's artwork, and it's a good story to boot. I wonder if the last issue is out yet...?

Emily
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
harrison ryan, I'm totally digging your av. Awesome.

On topic- has anyone read the Vertigo graphic novel Cairo? I just read the first 10 or so pages and I love it so far.

harrison ryan
03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
harrison ryan, I'm totally digging your av. Awesome.

Thanks! I didn't draw it myself, but I did digitally ink and color it over a sketch by Cory Walker. It met with his approval, too.

jhanic
03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Finished McCammon's The Queen of Bedlam and going on to Mr. Slaughter.

John

Brainslinger
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Uppart from 2000 AD which I get each week (it's pretty good at the moment by the way) I read the latest Serenity GN today.

The Shepherd's Tale.

If you want to know about Derial Book's history... there it is. Quite interesting it is too. I think my only complaint is that the book is rather thin, but it's good. It took a bit getting used to because it keeps jumping a few years into the past so it's a bit like the experience of watching Memento. It works well though when a certain twist turns occurs...

Heather19
03-30-2011, 07:05 AM
I've been eating up The Walking Dead lately. I can't seem to put it down :)

fernandito
03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Chris - I haven't started Hellblazet yet. I'm due for a visit to my shop this week, I'll pick up the first volume then. I also need Scalped 3 and Preacher 5.

WeDealInLead
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Neonomicon ended. It was alright. Sort of an anti-climactic ending after all that weird sea creature/offspring of Ctulhu vs. female cop sex. Still, I hope it's coming out in hardcover.

The New York Five. I'm reading this because it's by Brian Wood (of Demo, DMZ, Northlanders). It's about 5 college girls in NYC so yeah... not my thing. The book is a decent guide to cool spots in the city and I'm sure I'll use it when I visit for the first time ever.

American Vampire. New storyline set in WWII. GREAT stuff. Our man SK did fairly well but the story is just getting deeper and better with each issue. There was even a neat variant cover for this issue (the last one didn't have variants.)

Caligula. New comic from Avatar. It's about a farmer kid getting revenge on Caligula. You will NOT be prepared for the last two panels. Not gruesome (although the comic is) but weird and will definitely have me buying the second issue.

The Stand. Still going strong. This is how you do adaptations.

harrison ryan
03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm loving AmVamp, too. Albuquerque's back on the book now, right? I haven't read the latest ish yet.

Ric
04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Just an FYI that #6 of Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom drops today.

harrison ryan
04-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Good to know, Ric. I think it's my favorite comic out there these days. I don't read nearly as much as I did a year ago, but I never miss Locke & Key.

Brainslinger
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I caught the first series on the PSP app.* Very enjoyable it was too. I look forward to picking up the rest.

*Annoying thing with that PSP network being hacked by the way, eh? I think they've got my card info. on there. Hopefully they didn't get that...

Ric
04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Good to know, Ric. I think it's my favorite comic out there these days. I don't read nearly as much as I did a year ago, but I never miss Locke & Key.

You and me both Ryan! Can't wait for the next arc to start. Mass Effect: Evolution just finished its 4 book run, and Neonomicon is done, so these days I have L&K, Dark Tower, Hellraiser, and one or two others I'm auditing. :)

fernandito
04-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Heads up comic g33ks :

I went to my shop yesterday, and as I was 'checking in' through the facebook-places application, I received a message saying that I would receive %30 off any TPB or hardcover purchase if I decided to check in. I showed it to Geoffrey (shop owner) and he said that several other shops in the area were having the same deal. So if any of you with smartphones and fb accounts get a chance, check in next time you're at your local comic shop to see if it's available for you !

Anyway, these are the titles I picked up last night

Fables vol. 15
Fear Itself - 1 of 7
The Unwritten vol. 3
Cable/X-Force : Messiah War

harrison ryan
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Just finished reading the last issue of the current arc of Locke & Key. It rocked. Utterly and completely. I guess the "13 issues left" includes this one, so we have two arcs left, or one double-sized arc. In the ad at the back of the last L&K, they advertise Clockworks as a "New Monthly" but I think that's probably wishful thinking. I don't mind that it takes Rodriguez a while to finish the art...let's savor this one as it slowly marches to completion.

Hannah
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I've been eating up The Walking Dead lately. I can't seem to put it down :)

I have been way behind on those because I usually only buy the hardcover issues that come out once a year. But, recently, a coworker brought me in a big stack of all the single issues to catch me up. I thought it was the nicest thing ever. Turns out the coworker is just an asshole who wanted me to read the latest issue because he probably knew it'd make me cry at work. Big jerk.

No spoilers, but man, what else can Kirkman do to Rick before Rick just gives up?

Yaksha
05-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Just finished the entire run of Scott Pilgrim. And I am now starting on Messiah War

fernandito
05-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I have Messiah War on the waiting deck. Just need to wrap up Fables 15 first ...

LadyHitchhiker
05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I just finished Squee!!! :) BOINGY!!!!!! Loved it! :)

WeDealInLead
05-14-2011, 05:15 PM
The Stand - still going strong. The bonus features at the end make them so much sweeter.
The Unwritten - so much going on, I love it. These comics need a hardcover edition.
Vampirella and Lady Death - uhmm.... sexy ladies with guns and swords (good story too)
Painkiller Jane - eh. It's alright, a little too typical for Ennis.

edit: I totally meant to say Jennifer Blood, not Painkiller Jane

OchrisO
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
So, DC is rebooting it's whole universe in September with 52 new #1 issues. They say they are doing it to make the characters more accessible to new fans, update costumes and make the titles more contemporary. The reboot starts with JLA #1. This sounds, to me, sort of like the Ultimate Marvel line, except I am not sure that they are bothering to keep the old versions like Marvel did. I enjoy the Ultimate lines, but I am not sure how I feel about this. It could either be really good, or disastrous.

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/11/06/01/183218/DC-Reboots-Universe

fernandito
06-02-2011, 08:31 AM
... It could either be really good, or disastrous.

Definitely. There will be little to no margin for error in this ambitious undertaking. They want to draw in the newcomers who will in turn also check out any and all future DC superhero films. A dangerous gambit, but one that could potentially have a massive payoff. We'll see.

I purchased Vertigo's I-Zombie a few days ago. Loved it. Vertigo can do no wrong in my eyes.

OchrisO
06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
... It could either be really good, or disastrous.

Definitely. There will be little to no margin for error in this ambitious undertaking. They want to draw in the newcomers who will in turn also check out any and all future DC superhero films. A dangerous gambit, but one that could potentially have a massive payoff. We'll see.

I purchased Vertigo's I-Zombie a few days ago. Loved it. Vertigo can do no wrong in my eyes.

I think that one of the biggest risks will be the costume "updates". They have not worked so well in the past, like with the horrible blue and white superman costume of the past.

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 02:40 AM
I've just finished Halcyon. Which if you've never read it is AMAZING!! Like totally totally mindblowingly good! :)

I've gotten really into the The Authority recently and Im currently reading their issues from 1 to when it ended :) about 4 issue's off finishing Volume 1!! But my Bday is about 6 days away and I've asked the hubby for mostly comic's/books so I will probably be reading LOADS in a week lol.

WeDealInLead
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll check out certain reboots. Lemire and Snyder are writting a few and I've recently become a fan of both. Just pick up the first issue of Severed by Snyder and see for yourself. It's borderline 'quiet horror' but in comics.

Lady Mechanika... oh boy.. I'm a fan. I've also picked up hardcovers of Astonishing X-men by Wheddon. I discovered him through the TV show Firefly.

pixiedark76
08-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I am reading The Stand: the night has come; American Vampire; and The Dark Tower: The Battle of Tull.

JameseyLefebure
08-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Whats the American Vampire like? I was a little tempted by it but I really wanted to limit myself to ONE vampire comic and I'm really tempted by the 30 Days Of Night comic cause I've heard they're really good. :) Your the first i've heard mention the american vampires :)

James
xxx

WeDealInLead
08-24-2011, 09:31 AM
It's great. You could find a used trade or hardcover, or go to a comic shop and look through one. I started reading it because the first arc was 1/2 written by King but ironically, I feel the comic got MUCH better after he left.

JameseyLefebure
08-25-2011, 06:36 AM
oooh ok :) well I've asked for a copy for my b'day off the hubby :) admittedly this is along with about 200 other things so I dont know if i'm actually likely to get it (he's got a HUGE list of books to choose from lol).

I'm totally buying intot he CD reboot for the simple reason the Stormwatch is part of it and I get to see Apollo and Midnighter again :) :) :) (seriously love Midnighter!) I've naturally asked for the Dark Towers as I've only got the first 2 book's and theres about another 6 that I need to read now and the stand as well.

I was reading that theres a Hellraiser comic coming out with Clive Barker, which if done right could be quite interesting. I'll probably end up just downloading that though until I know if it's any good as unfortunately the Hellraiser series is more familiar with WTF!?! than good these days!

WeDealInLead
09-17-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm really liking the DC reboot. Most things are either average or bad (Superboy) but things that are good are really good. Stand outs are Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Batwoman. Batwoman is a stunning looking comic. It's written and drawn by JH William III. I kept looking at the pictures.. and looking and looking.. and looking. "Underdogs" that delivered were Resurrection Man and Grifter. I have VERY high expectations from next week's Batman (Snyder) and Wonder Woman (Azzarello.)

Other than new DC stuff I'm still reading Unwritten, Vampirella, The Stand, Severed (NEW ISSUE NEXT WEEK!), American Vampire (both story lines), and I just re-read Casanova. Truly genious stuff. Sci-fi, supernatural Bond on drugs.

Brainslinger
09-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm really liking the DC reboot. Most things are either average or bad (Superboy) but things that are good are really good. Stand outs are Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Batwoman. Batwoman is a stunning looking comic. It's written and drawn by JH William III. I kept looking at the pictures.. and looking and looking.. and looking. "Underdogs" that delivered were Resurrection Man and Grifter. I have VERY high expectations from next week's Batman (Snyder) and Wonder Woman (Azzarello.)

I haven't read much DC, but I plan on jumping onto at least a couple of these. I'll wait until next month when the price of the digital copies goes down.

I plan to get Action Comics (the new/old take on a young Superman sounds interesting) and Animal Man as I hear it has a horror theme. I also like that character and his powers.

I was thinking of Resurrection Man too as it seems like an interesting concept. That Western version of Gotham story (I forget the name) looked interesting too, but I'd best not go over-budget. Particularly as there are some GNs I'd like to pick up at some point.

OchrisO
09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I've read JLA, Detective Comics, Action Comics, Green Arrow and Batgirl so far and am actually way more impressed than I expected to be. I especially liked JLA and Detective Comics.

WeDealInLead
09-18-2011, 03:31 AM
am actually way more impressed than I expected to be. .

I missed out on JLA. I also had to get Detective and Action on eBay.

Batwoman is worth it for the artwork alone. The story is great too but artwork alone is stunning.

ELazansky
09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
I've been going back and reading some older Neil Gaiman comics I never read. I just finished reading 1602 (which was cool) and now I am reading Eternals.

OchrisO
09-18-2011, 02:40 PM
am actually way more impressed than I expected to be. .

I missed out on JLA. I also had to get Detective and Action on eBay.

Batwoman is worth it for the artwork alone. The story is great too but artwork alone is stunning.

JLA has some great interaction between Batman and Green Lantern.

I haven't gotten to Batwoman yet. I read Batgirl, though. A woman she saves in the comic says "Bless you. Bless you, Batwoman" and she says "Well, close. I guess you are welcome, but the name is Batgirl." haha.

WeDealInLead
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Zack Snyder's Batman made me lose it. So fucking good. Artwork is up there with Batwoman for my favourite of the whole New DC line.

I like Azzarello so that's why I bought Wonder Woman. The story is weird enough that I'll keep this one on my list.

OchrisO
10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I have started rereading Transmetropolitan. I had nearly forgotten just how amazing it is.

fernandito
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I need to rekindle my Transmetropolitan read through. I left off on Vol 4. :/

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 03:00 PM
I need to read a ton of comic series. Walking Dead first, I think. Followed by Sandman. Then Preacher, to see if Garth Ennis really is a good writer. Ennis fans, if you're thinking of getting into Dredd by checking out his stuff, don't: his stories really did suck, I'm afraid. I'm hoping his own original work is better.

OchrisO
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I need to rekindle my Transmetropolitan read through. I left off on Vol 4. :/
Did you get bored with it, or did something else just come along and supersede it?

OchrisO
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I need to read a ton of comic series. Walking Dead first, I think. Followed by Sandman. Then Preacher, to see if Garth Ennis really is a good writer. Ennis fans, if you're thinking of getting into Dredd by checking out his stuff, don't: his stories really did suck, I'm afraid. I'm hoping his own original work is better.

I think Preacher will change your mind about Ennis. It is all around amazing. All of those you listed are excellent series. I could list a bunch of others to add to the list, but I won't be so cruel. haha.

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
That's ok: I can recommend a ton of comic series you haven't even heard of, either! Most of which are 2000AD though, so that'd be more fair, single issue wise: it's an anthology comic, after all!

Oh, and I need to pick up volumes 2 and 3 of Jack Staff! I read the first volume, and it is amazing. It's not grim or gritty, it's just really really fun old school superhero action!

Brainslinger
10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
That's ok: I can recommend a ton of comic series you haven't even heard of, either! Most of which are 2000AD though, so that'd be more fair, single issue wise: it's an anthology comic, after all!

Due to a sale at Mongoose (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/oopsale/2000adgraphicnovels.html?limit=30) I recently bought a couple of 2000 AD related graphic novels. (Actually a large chunk of one was originally published in Judge Dredd Megazine, but as that's a spin-off comic I'd count it.) The two collections I brought were The Simping Detective and Megacity Undercover.

Both tales are also related in that they're both Dredd-world stories* featuring members (or ex members) of Wally squad. (That's the undercover judges.)

The Simping Detective turned out to be a cracking read featuring an undercover judge playing the role of a PI... dressed as a clown working in a particularly sleazy part of Mega-City one called Angeltown.. Does that strike you as silly? Heh. The point is the citizens of Mega-City One tend to have a very outrageous dress-sense so dressing up strange (or 'simping' as the the phrase in that world) is bizarrely a way to blend in. And simps tend to be underestimated. (The silly outfit also grants him some rather nasty hidden weapons and gadgets. Shuriken bow tie? Really?)

Anyway, the volume is a collection of noirish tales with interesting twisty plots and the main character Jack Point is amusing and rather sleazy. The art is lovely too. Highly recommended if you like the idea of futuristic noir tales and humour.

Mega-city Undercover, in some ways is more of the same albiet with other characters, but the style of the stories are very different. It actually collects stories from two strips including Lenny Zero and Low Life. The first concerns an ex-judge who sort of goes native due to falling in love, basically going on the run from the Mob and the judges. The other is quite a gritty sttip concerning a great female character called Aimee Nixon.

Low Life is still running in 2000 AD at the moment, but the tales are now centred around Aimee's mentor Dirty Frank. A filthy bearded partly insane judge physically modelled on Alan Moore. It's still a good strip but it has a much more comedy slant. These earlier grittier somewhat nasty tales of Aimee Nixon are also very good, but in a different way.

I'm reading this at the moment and I've more tales to go, but the last story was actually quite shocking and thought provoking. A tale of corruption, and the strong implication at the end that the main protagonist is just as corrupt as those she fights, in her own way. Arguably she might even be worse, but she is certainly not all bad either.

Great reads showing a different side to Dredd's world, with characters who live in a grey area outside Dredd's black and white view of the universe.

As far as ongoing comics are concerned, I still pick up digital editions of 2000 AD and the Megazine. (I prefer the former to the latter, although both have good strips.) I also picked up the first issues of Swamp Thing, Action Comics and Animal Man from the new DC 52 on Comixology** but I've yet to read them. I had a brief look at the first page of Action Comics and I was a bit uncertain as Superman seemed to be talking and acting in a way more reminiscent of the darker Batman, but I've heard good things about this strip, so I'll give it a chance.

*I say this because unlike the majority of DC and Marvel strips, not all 2000 AD and Megazine strips happen in the same world, although most of the latter do. (I'm using the word 'world' in the 'reality' sense not planet, although the same is sometimes true there as well.)

**That's a bit of a strange set up, isn't it? I like to download copies of comics I buy, but it seems here you're just buying the right to read. The app seems to work pretty well though. Incidentally, I'm mainly buying digital now as it's cheaper, but it doesn't beat paper. It'll do though.

fernandito
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
The new Batman 52 arcs (Batman, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin) are ALL awesome. Good job, DC.

The refreshed X-Men universe - with Regenesis as the launching point - is shaping up to be a damn good series. It's just too bad that the issue chosen to launch the title is less than stellar.

Ruthful
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PEYacyVML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

fernandito
11-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Going to m shop today, picking up all the new Batman and X-Men stuff. Might get the new Spiderman as well. I also want to start that new 'Spaceman' series by Mazarello.

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Look out for any Judge Dredd graphic novels, won't ya? :D Especially America. That one's a genuine classic.

fernandito
11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
You know, I was rummaging through the Dredd section a few months ago but I was put off because I had no idea where to start. Give me titles !

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 07:32 AM
The Complete (ish, it's missing the most recent strips) PJ Maybe
Origins
The Complete Case Files 02 (an odd place to start with the series, but 01's where the strip's finding it's feet. The same could be said for 02, true, but you get two epic stories in one with this volume)
The Complete Case Files 05 (The Apocalypse War, baby!)

But I stand by what I said: America is one of the greatest graphic novel stories I have ever read, not just for Dredd, or even 2000AD, but I mean ever. That's definitely one to get as an introduction to the best of Dredd and his world.

OchrisO
11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I've been catching up on Fables lately, because I had fallen behind a bit. I am on issue 93/110 right now.

fernandito
11-03-2011, 08:09 AM
James - I didn't go to my shop yesterday but I noted the titles you mentioned. Thanks !

Chris - I want to get into Constantine too but I don't know where to start. HALP !

DoctorDodge
11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh, and I forgot to add: for a really nice introduction to Dredd, see if you can track down the Batman/Judge Dredd Case Files collection, a team up so awesome they did it 4 times! Judgment on Gotham is definitely one of the best crossovers I've read, without a doubt.

OchrisO
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
James - I didn't go to my shop yesterday but I noted the titles you mentioned. Thanks !

Chris - I want to get into Constantine too but I don't know where to start. HALP !

Starting at the beginning with Hellblazer #1 is always good. That's what I did and the beginning is really good. That is a daunting task, though, as there are 281 normal issues(I haven't even read them all, need to get back to it, actually). There are two great Garth Ennis runs at Hellblazer #41-83 and #129-133, so that would be a good place to jump in if you don't want to start at the beginning. Where ever you jump in, be prepared for a drastically different(and much more interesting) guy than the one from the movie.

DoctorDodge
11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Recently read some more Walking Dead. It seems to get to the main story points a lot quicker than the tv series. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Meanwhile, I'm also waiting for the first volume of Charley's War. I remember reading some of it in Judge Dredd Megazine a few years back. Compared to all the rest of the scifi in the magazine, a First World War strip seemed almost out of place, but it was so good, so thrilling and so powerful that it just didn't matter. Remembrance Day last week reminded me to finally get the first volume. I hope it's at least half as brilliant as I remember.

Brice
11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I just finished 11/22/63

Now back to the lovecraft books.

WeDealInLead
11-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, I just finished The Filth by Grant Morrison. 13 issue collection. The whole thing felt like an LSD trip. Next up is some of X-Men written by Warren Ellis.

DoctorDodge
11-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Currently reading Charley's War: Volume 1. And it really is as great as I remember. It contains a lot of depth and historical authenticity that a lot of comics just don't have. Even main character Charley feels less like a heroic figure and more of an average human being, being neither strong nor particularly bright. If the other volumes in the series are as good as this, this might be one of the best comic series I've read yet.

WeDealInLead
11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I received the hardcovers of Fables # 1 and 100 Bullets #1. I'll be getting to those in a few days when I tie up a few loose ends (books.) I can't wait to read comics only for a month straight. I have 8 trades by Ellis, 2 Swamp Thing hardcovers, The Walking Dead #3 slipcased, Sandman #3 slipcased, The Darkness compendium, Hellboy library editions, Boys #1 slipcased, Planetary 1 and 2 slipcased. Also, all the single issues that I have on a pile somewhere.

OchrisO
11-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I received the hardcovers of Fables # 1 and 100 Bullets #1. I'll be getting to those in a few days when I tie up a few loose ends (books.) I can't wait to read comics only for a month straight. I have 8 trades by Ellis, 2 Swamp Thing hardcovers, The Walking Dead #3 slipcased, Sandman #3 slipcased, The Darkness compendium, Hellboy library editions, Boys #1 slipcased, Planetary 1 and 2 slipcased. Also, all the single issues that I have on a pile somewhere.

Sounds like a good time. All of those are good and Planetary is amazing.

Brainslinger
11-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Recently read Animal Man #1 from the new DC issues. (I'm behind, I know.) I quite enjoyed it... and it was actually rather creepy at the end. (That's good from my POV.)

I've still got All Star Western (I liked the idea of a western with supernatural horror elements set in Gotham of the old west) and Swamp Thing to read.

On the collection front, I'm currently reading Shimura. It collects a collection of Dredd-world strips originally published in the Judge Dredd Megazine about a Hondo-City judge (that's the Mega-City base in future Japan) that turns Ronin. It's a mixed bag as far as stories are concerned but largely an entertaining read. I like the idea of Japanese judges essentially being future samurai with a mixture of future technology and old weapons. (I.e .they've got laser-shurikens but they're not opposed to whipping out a wakizashi sword or a pair of nun-chucks. Connected with an energy ribbon instead of a chain of course. ;) )

fernandito
11-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm collecting all of the Batman 'New 52' issues. (Batman, Detective Comics, The Dark Knight, Batman & Robin etc.) I think I spent about $30 on Batman comics alone last week !

Tatts4Life
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Lets see, I'm finally starting to read American Vampire and I like it a lot. Picked up Volume one of The Walking Dead and realized I was getting through it so fast so I'm switching to the books then when I'm caught up I'll start buying the individual comics. Gonna get started at some point reading the Dark tower books which I've been collecting. AND FINALLY I REALLY want to find collections of Batman and other DC and maybe even Marvel comics. Batman has all ways been my favorite heroe but I never got into the comics because I was all ways busy.

fernandito
12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
.... AND FINALLY I REALLY want to find collections of Batman ...

You've come to the right place :D

Tatts4Life
12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Got done reading American Vampire and The Stand over the weekend. Now to move onto the Dark Tower comics.

OchrisO
12-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Lets see, I'm finally starting to read American Vampire and I like it a lot. Picked up Volume one of The Walking Dead and realized I was getting through it so fast so I'm switching to the books then when I'm caught up I'll start buying the individual comics. Gonna get started at some point reading the Dark tower books which I've been collecting. AND FINALLY I REALLY want to find collections of Batman and other DC and maybe even Marvel comics. Batman has all ways been my favorite heroe but I never got into the comics because I was all ways busy.

A few TPBs I highly recommend on the Batman front:

The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Year One
The Long Halloween
The Killing Joke
A Death in the Family
Knightfall
Knightquest
Knightsend
Batman: Hush

fernandito
12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Yup, Chris's list is dead on.

The Batman 'Black & White' collections are excellent too. It's essentially a collection of short stories featuring Batman, but each is done by a different writer and artist which produces some varied and very entertaining results.

Tatts4Life
12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Picked up Batman: Death in the family, Dark Knight Returns, and serious house on serious earth. Also grabbed issue 91 of Walking dead and have the 7 books and volume 15 ordered so I'll have all the walking dead comics finally.

WeDealInLead
12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Just finished: Fables 1 deluxe HC. Reading: 100 Bullets deluxe HC. I liked both but nothing really grabbed me the way Preacher, Y: The Last Man, Transmet, Scalped and Northlanders did.

fernandito
12-07-2011, 08:30 AM
That reminds me, I need to get the next volume in the Preacher series. I left off on Vol. 4 , I think ....

WeDealInLead
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, I have to admit, I'm sold on 100 Bullets. I thought they were going to be all unrelated stories but I like how they all somehow tied together. Too bad it'll be a while before the second hardcover is out.

Now onto Absolute Sandman 3.

Old Man Splitfoot
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Friday needs to hurry up and get here, so I can go pick up my weekly stack of comics. I get paid tomorrow, but won't have time to go pick them up till Friday, what with work getting in my way. Really enjoying the Uncanny X-Force, and I think the new issue came out today?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with a bunch of New 52 books. I've always liked DC, but never as much as I do now. Before, I'd buy maybe half a dozen DC comics a year, but now half my pull list is DC. Seems like the only non-DC books I'm reading at the moment are The Walking Dead, Invincible, and a bunch of X-Men books.

Tatts4Life
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Batman Death in the family was pretty cool. onto the next one I picked up.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 06:42 AM
How is it that I am only just hearing that FX is doing a TV series of the amazing comic book series Powers by Brian Michael Bendis?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_%28FX_TV_series%29

fernandito
12-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Friday needs to hurry up and get here, so I can go pick up my weekly stack of comics. I get paid tomorrow, but won't have time to go pick them up till Friday, what with work getting in my way. Really enjoying the Uncanny X-Force, and I think the new issue came out today?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with a bunch of New 52 books. I've always liked DC, but never as much as I do now. Before, I'd buy maybe half a dozen DC comics a year, but now half my pull list is DC. Seems like the only non-DC books I'm reading at the moment are The Walking Dead, Invincible, and a bunch of X-Men books.

I just started reading X-Men after a loooooooong time of not reading anything X-related. I figured that the best place to start was with the new 'Schism' arc that just started. Pretty good so far.

Have you started reading the new Magneto : Not A Hero mini series ? The first issue was fairly solid. Magneto essentially telling Captain America and Iron Man to shove it where the sun don't shine is classic.

It better be The Dark Knight Returns !

How is it that I am only just hearing that FX is doing a TV series of the amazing comic book series Powers by Brian Michael Bendis?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_%28FX_TV_series%29

I haven't read this series yet, but my interest is piqued ...

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Oh snap, I keep forgetting about that one! Another to add to the list of "What to read after The Walking Dead..."

fernandito
12-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Oh snap, I keep forgetting about that one! Another to add to the list of "What to read after The Walking Dead..."

-_-

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
In my defense, I do know that great British comics exist as well as great American ones, so that's doubled the amount of must-read comics I have to read. Like Charley's War, for example. And you know my thoughts on Judge Dredd: America (and you'll understand why when you read it), so I won't go into that.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I've read a decent amount of Judge Dredd(including in America), though it was some time ago and a number of my favorite American published comic authors are British/English guys(hell, most of them are: Warren Ellis(he could take up twelve spots on my list of favorite comic authors all by himself), Alan Moore, John Byrne(british born anyway), Paul Jenkins, etc etc ) and I have still read The Dark Knight Returns like twenty times. :P

That is one comic that there is no excuse at all to not have read. NO EXCUSES! You have had since 1986 to get around to it. :)

Honestly, I have talked quite a bit about how much I love Robert Kirkman on here(and he lives in the same town as I do so I especially like seeing him do so well), but you should put down The Walking Dead right now in order to read The Dark Knight Returns, then go back to it after you have finished.

That was a lot of nested parentheses.

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Oh, I know a lot of the best American comics are usually written by British writers, but truly great British comics are a rarer thing. Like Charley's War - a truly amazing comic about the first world war that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too. Really enjoying that a lot so far.

I'll check out TDKR when the hype dies down a bit! ;)

fernandito
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Oh, that reminds me ! I read this a few days ago and I think it's high-larious :

Fight ! Alan Moore vs Frank Miller over Occupy Wall Street movement. (http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/12/05/fight-alan-moore-vs-frank-miller-over-ows/)

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm siding with Moore on this one. He is the British one, after all!

No, seriously, regarding TDKR: I'm just very, very wary about extremely hyped up comics ever since my dissapointment with V for Vendetta. I could just barely get past the first third of the book. Idk, maybe I'll get back to it soon, but I just couldn't get into it. It took me a long time to check out Watchmen as a result (which I'll admit, I did enjoy), but I do need to know: TDKR - is it better than VfV?

fernandito
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't care about nationalities, I'm siding with Moore on this because Miller is a twat. If he were on the receiving end on what the banks are doing to a lot of these folks he'd be singing a completely different tune right now.

And that's kind of a hard question to answer ... putting my biased aside as much as I can, I'd have to say that yes : TDKR is the better graphic novel.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm siding with Alan Moore because of that sweet assed beard.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh, I know a lot of the best American comics are usually written by British writers, but truly great British comics are a rarer thing. Like Charley's War - a truly amazing comic about the first world war that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too. Really enjoying that a lot so far.

I'll check out TDKR when the hype dies down a bit! ;)

Also, for every Charley's War there's a Ex Machina.

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Just looked it up. It looks good, but I still like to take a break from the 'superhero' or even 'scifi/fantasy' genre every now and again, even with comics. It's nice that Charley's War kind of experimented with that by just focusing on the story of a boy soldier and focused on the horrors of war like no other comic - no, like very little I've seen of any genre, I must say - like Charley's War did.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Just looked it up. It looks good, but I still like to take a break from the 'superhero' or even 'scifi/fantasy' genre every now and again, even with comics. It's nice that Charley's War kind of experimented with that by just focusing on the story of a boy soldier and focused on the horrors of war like no other comic - no, like very little I've seen of any genre, I must say - like Charley's War did.

I just meant that for every truly amazing comic [sic] that could only have been done in Britain. Not just written by a British writer, but really targeted for the British audience, too there is a truly amazing comic that could only have been done in America. Not just written by an American writer, but really targeted for the American audience, too, so it sort of unbalances your "doubled the amount of must-read comics I have to read" argument. :)

Also, in regards to Ex Machina, the superhero/ sci-fi aspects of it are sort of secondary to the work in a way that zombies are secondary to The Walking Dead.

DoctorDodge
12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, but it's still set in that genre. With Charley's War, it's truly different because it's seperate from that genre completely, along with other fantasy or supernatural elements. I'm not saying I hate those kind of comics, I'm just saying that it's nice to read something that actually does something that's truly different for the medium. Let's be honest, these days, the 'darker, more realistic' look at superheros has become just as much of a cliche as the saviours of humanity in underpants and tights are. Charley's War is something is just a nice break from all of those kind of comics. Not a complete break entirely, at least in this country - war comics were pretty popular in this country, for some reason - but even then, it stopped having macho heroes saving the day and instead had good people get killed. I'm enjoying it bit by bit so I can savour it - they only release one hardback every year on Remembrance Day, and I don't think they've released half the series yet. So I'm just gonna read a bit at a time and enjoy it.

OchrisO
12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Here's some sad comic news I just saw:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/showbiz/jerry-robinson-obit/index.html
:(

Old Man Splitfoot
12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Actually, I didn't pick up Magneto: Not a Hero last time I was at the shop, but I'm making my weekly trip tomorrow, so I might snag it then. I spend way too much money on comic books, but one more book isn't gonna kill me.

I read the thing about Moore ripping into Miller about the OWS stuff, and I honestly think I missed something. Mostly Miller's part in it, other than Moore talking about him. While I completely agree with Alan Moore (other than his opinions on Sin City; fuck you Alan, I liked Sin City), there's no quotes from Miller being a twat. I kinda wanted a reason to dislike Miller for siding with (in my opinion) the wrong side of OWS. I mean, I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere, I'm just too lazy to find it.

Edit - Oh, shit, found it. On this site, even! Wow. Damn. Miller is a freaking tool.

While we're on the subject of Alan Moore, I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the guy. He comes across as a total snob, and Watchmen is just about the only thing he wrote that I enjoyed.

DoctorDodge
12-09-2011, 01:51 AM
While we're on the subject of Alan Moore, I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the guy. He comes across as a total snob, and Watchmen is just about the only thing he wrote that I enjoyed.

In my opinion a lot of great comic writers do, or at least a total self-opinionated arsehole. Like Pat Mills, the writer of Charley's War, Savage, and a number of comic series I've enjoyed: his comic writing's great, but he does come across like he thinks he's the new messiah in interviews sometimes. As for Moore, Watchmen has been the only thing of his I've enjoyed, but then I've only read that and some of V for Vendetta so far, so I'm hoping more of his work matches his Watchmen standard.

As for what Miller said on the Occupy movement: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/12/occupy-frank-miller/

OchrisO
12-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I like Alan Moore on a personal level because of stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cam2kK7J_8k

On the comic level, other than V for Vendetta and Watchmen, other works of his that I really enjoy are:

Batman: The Killing Joke
From Hell
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen(when ignoring the horrible movie)
his work on Swamp Thing
Top 10
Neonomicon

DoctorDodge
12-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Must watch that the moment I get home from work, as I really do enjoy a lot of Stewart Lee's standup work.

And I forgot about The Killing Joke! Yes, that I quite liked, too.

Tatts4Life
12-09-2011, 05:25 AM

You would be correct. Even though I'm kind of confused by when in the story line of Batman it should take place. Or is it a one off kind of series. Because...
In Death in the Family Jason Todd/ Robin dies and in the second half of that novel he is replaced by Tim (last name I can't remember). But in Batman returns Batman is old and has been retired for 10 years and he still is upset about Jason dying.

One thing I hate about reading the books that have different comics as a collection for that story arc is you'll have a character show up or somebody will mention " I wonder what's going on with whats his face. Or so and so is taking care of this problem." and since I've never read any other batman comics I'm left wanting to know what they are talking about. But you can't go back and find out since that story line could be from the 60's for all I know.

It is nice that I can go on amazon or to my local comic store and find the collections.

Can't wait to finally order all the Walking Dead books and the latest volume so I can be caught up on the comics. Then I can start in on the individual comics.

WeDealInLead
12-09-2011, 06:26 AM
You know why I like Moore? Because his work makes you fully dedicate all your senses to it. Each panel is incredibly thought out. Have any of you read his scripts? So dense and complex.

His comics really can seem intimidating though. I've had From Hell on my shelf for three years and I've read only 15 or so pages. The damn thing has got goddamn footnotes. Totally nutso.

My Moore top three are (clearly) Watchmen, V and his epic run on Swamp Thing. I think his run on ST made me see comics differently and demand more from them. Artwork is just spectacular. The way they some times lay out the panels is quite original.

For quick reads that aren't some massive run I suggest Light of thy Countenance and Neonomicon. The latter has been issued with the prequel, The Courtyard. Ctulhu stuff (which I'm not a big fan of) but it's really well done.

OchrisO
12-09-2011, 06:43 AM

You would be correct. Even though I'm kind of confused by when in the story line of Batman it should take place. Or is it a one off kind of series. Because...
In Death in the Family Jason Todd/ Robin dies and in the second half of that novel he is replaced by Tim (last name I can't remember). But in Batman returns Batman is old and has been retired for 10 years and he still is upset about Jason dying.

One thing I hate about reading the books that have different comics as a collection for that story arc is you'll have a character show up or somebody will mention " I wonder what's going on with whats his face. Or so and so is taking care of this problem." and since I've never read any other batman comics I'm left wanting to know what they are talking about. But you can't go back and find out since that story line could be from the 60's for all I know.

It is nice that I can go on amazon or to my local comic store and find the collections.

Can't wait to finally order all the Walking Dead books and the latest volume so I can be caught up on the comics. Then I can start in on the individual comics.

The Dark Knight Returns was written in 1986, which was actually before Jason Todd died in the comics by two years or so. They don't specify how he dies in it because it was a hypothetical death in what is meant to be a potential future for Batman. I guess Miller kind of predicted the future with it, though I had never really thought about it.

fernandito
12-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Moore is the kind of person that's very much aware of his own genius and as such can come across as painfully snotty.

Regardless of how you might feel about him, you can't deny the influence of his work. One of the things I love about his work is his meticulous attention to detail. In Watchmen ... spoilers, I guess ?

The death of Rorschach - the panel for his death is no bigger than any of the panels that come before it. Usually the death of a major character warrants a full page to adequately convey it's impact. This was done on purpose to illustrate that his death is just another piece of the puzzle, "one more body amongst foundations" as Rorschach himself stated a few panels before.

Brilliant.

Darkthoughts
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, I was going to rave about the latest Locke & Key HB, but you're talking about Moore and now I feel like I should talk in hushed tones and not take his name in vain. As Pop Will Eat Itself rightfully sang, with great reverence, Alan Moore knows the score! :D

fernandito
12-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Moore shall henceforth be referred to as, He Who Shall Not Be Named :rofl:

OchrisO
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Alan Moore's beard can cast spells on its own, even spells with verbal components.

Tatts4Life
12-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Batman: serious house on serious earth=AWESOME. Now to go and find some more Batman novels and maybe a couple of others.

Brainslinger
12-10-2011, 02:10 PM
His comics really can seem intimidating though. I've had From Hell on my shelf for three years and I've read only 15 or so pages.
I've read From Hell, but I found it quite hard going in places. Particularly that bit where two characters tour London. I understand I'm probably missing things and just didn't see the significance, but it actually turned reading the comic into a chore for me. That being said, the artwork depicting those locations was fabulous.

My Moore top three are (clearly) Watchmen, V and his epic run on Swamp Thing.

I haven't read all of Moore's stuff, but I've read those, and enjoyed them a lot. I'd actually rank V for Vendetta over Watchmen, but Watchmenwas good. One series I have read that doesn't appear to be listed here (although it might be some pages back as this thread has been around for a while) is The Balad of Halo Jones. It was a series Alan Moore wrote back earlier in his career when he worked as a script-droid for 2000 AD.

If you like strong female characters, slightly strange sci-fi, a bit of comedy and some genuinely thought provoking, and sometimes heart-wrenching stuff, not to mention some lovely detailed Ian Gibson art*, I'd highly recommend it. It's not as well known as much of Alan Moore's other works, but I think it stands up.

*It's black and white, but if you're used to colour, please don't let that put you off.

Darkthoughts
12-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Ha, fucking awesome youtube clip btw Chris :thumbsup:

Heather19
12-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Well, I was going to rave about the latest Locke & Key HB,

I need to finish this one. I got sidetracked and went back to The Walking Dead. Just finished Vol 11 last night. I'm quite shocked by everything that's happened. I have the rest of Book 6 to get through and then hopefully I'll get the rest for Christmas :D

fernandito
12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I haven't picked up any new TPB's for a while, it can get so damn expensive. I've been sticking to single issues these past few months.

Tatts4Life
02-07-2012, 06:47 AM
So the wife and I have recently found the Comics app on our Kindle Fire and grabbed a bunch of old-ish comics that looked cool. The wife grabbed Zenescopes twisted versions of alice in wonderland and Grimm Fairy Tales which were really cool to read. I've been going back and reading Walking Dead starting with volume 1 since the digital versions are $5-6 cheaper then the print versions. PLUS they don't take up any room in the house.

mikeC
02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I was really hoping the Hellboy comics would be on the kindle but they're not. I got the 3rd volume of the trades, but haven't read it yet.

I am really enjoying Unwritten, it's kind of ballsy. Anyone read this?

mikeC
02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Well since no one has read it, I am heartily recommending it. It's really good.

frik
02-17-2012, 08:16 AM
A mixed bag, but fun.

sk

http://www.boom-studios.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/t/CthulhuTales_OmnibusMaddness_CVR_1_1.jpg

fernandito
02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I want to get that just for that amazing cover.

OchrisO
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I was really hoping the Hellboy comics would be on the kindle but they're not. I got the 3rd volume of the trades, but haven't read it yet.

I have read a pretty good chunk of Unwritten. I need to get back to it soon. I really liked what I read, but other things grabbed my interest.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of it earlier in this thread. I may be misremembering, though.

kluker
02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
looking into the gunslinger comics

fernandito
02-21-2012, 11:04 AM

I have read a pretty good chunk of Unwritten. I need to get back to it soon. I really liked what I read, but other things grabbed my interest.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of it earlier in this thread. I may be misremembering, though.

Yeap, Unwritten is awesome. I've read up until Vol. 3 (I think they're at 5) and they've all been exceptionally entertaining. I got side tracked but I'll definitely be picking up the next two volumes soon.

mikeC
02-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Cool, Yea I was surprised how good it is.

pixiedark76
02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I am reading "Road Rage" by Stephen King and Joe Hill. I am also reading " The Gunslinger- The Way Station" I am also reading "American Vampire."

Brainslinger
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I am also reading "American Vampire."

I recently read the first volume of that. I enjoyed it!

I took out a subscription for 'The Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection' (http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html): nice hardback volumes comprising various Marvel story arcs, published by Hatchette Partworks. The first volume Coming Home was a decent Spidey story. I'd never read it before. The next two volumes (the third being free with the subscription offer) were X-Men: Dark Phoenix and Iron Man: Extremis. I'm reading through the former right now. I did get a volume of The Dark Phoenix from a library a few years ago, but the story seems more involved than I remember. I'm not sure if it's because I've forgotten most of it or if they're including other material. I'm finding it quite enjoyable although I find the style a bit dated. I have never read 'Extremis'.

I might cancel now as I've read the next volume, The Ultimates, and while I liked the art I wasn't too taken by the story-line. I disliked the new take on The Hulk (as a monster he's great but he's not the Hulk I remember. This one's basically a amoral randy man eater. Quite literally.) and I'm not really fussed in getting them all just to build up that big picture with the spines. The subscription offer was too good to refuse for the first three volumes though- including freebies with none of the '6 months to year' minimum subscriptions these things usually have. 3 issues at a cut-down price (the third volume being free) was the only restriction for their special offer. Great deal. Even at full price, 9.99, that's not a bad deal for hardback comic collections. At least it's not in the UK where books tend to be expensive.

I haven't quite made my mind up yet though. I might give The Ultimates another chance as I can always sell it on if I dislike it.

On the DC front, I'm still trudging through some of the new 52. Action comics started good, but the last volume was a bit weak for me. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are still going strong. Great if you like some horror in your comics.

Tatts4Life
02-26-2012, 07:20 AM
American Vampire is a good series. I've been reading it from the start.

Recently picked up Zenescopes Alice in wonderland series. I love the story that they came up for what wonderland is and how all the characters came to be in wonderland.

Brainslinger
02-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Just finished Dark Phoenix a couple of days back. I found the style of writing a bit dated and cheesy, but it was a good read overall. Curiously, I remembered things happening a bit differently the first time I read it. Just goes to show how subjective memory can be.

About to start Iron Man:Extremis. From the brief look, the art is very interesting although the eyes look a bit odd. Not drawn badly, they've just got that 'uncanny valley' vibe to them. I love the way these volumes smell by the way. I know that's not the main sense one's supposed to apply to a book of any description, but it adds to the experience in my mind.

fernandito
02-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Anyone looking to beef up their Bane knowledge looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises should check this out

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/iss/600w/93/22640925/1101793.jpg

It chronicles Bane's origin and the attempt of the Ra's Al Ghul to recruit him. It's a mini-graphic novel, just hit shelves last week so it should be easy to find.

Pasiuk57
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm reading the Warlord of Mars series Dejah Thoris and have many of the "risque" variants for sale!

frik
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/solicits/darkhorse/201111/EerieArchives9.jpg

sk

fernandito
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
interesting ...

Brainslinger
03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom

Rather enjoyable.

WeDealInLead
05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
So hey, what are you all reading?

Of all the New 52 titles I'm still reading Batman (by Scott Snyder), Frankenstein (Lemire), Animal Man (Lemire) and Swamp Thing. Animal Man and Swamp Thing crossover is absolutely incredible. It seems both Snyder and Lemire can do no wrong. Justice League Dark is getting better too. It features less second tier DC heroes but it relies heavily on a good story to sell comics, not big names and mediocre writting. John Constantine makes an appearance or two.

American Vampire (Snyder) is still top notch. His 6 issue book Severed felt like reading an illustrated Charles Grant story.

Unwritten is still getting deeper and deeper and is now a bi-weekly book with the .5 issue a providing a back story or an interlude that almost could be a stand-alone.

I'm reading Hellboy Library Edition, Fables deluxe hardcovers, B.P.R.D.hardcovers and 100 Bullets hardcovers as they come out. Well worth the money.

Just finished Chaykin's Barnum, F Paul Wilson's The Keep and am reading Constantine Hellblazer vol. 1 reprint.

You?

OchrisO
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I recently caught up on The Walking Dead and Invincible.

I've been working on a Transmetropolitan re-read and dabbling a bit in some of the new 52. I have been working on a bit of Grifter and Stormwatch as well as Wonder Woman and Aqua Man(which is surprisingly good).

I want to get to Suicide Squad at some point as well as some of the Green Lantern titles and Animal Man and Swamp thing since I keep hearing great things about the new runs.

I really need to catch up on Unwritten. I am quite a bit behind now.

Brainslinger
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I just finished Ultimate Spiderman volume 2 from the library. I've read it before, but it was still very enjoyable.

I also picked up a Spiderman and Wolverine book (I forget the name off-hand) , and volumes 11-13 of The Walking Dead from the library. I'm a little dubious of getting the WD books as there's a whole bunch of books in that series I've missed (unfortunately my local library doesn't seem to store the entire set, ending on 7 then jumping to 11) but I'm sure I'll still be able to jump on board okay.

As far as single issues are concerned, I continue buying 2000 AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine. Both pretty good, especially 2000 AD which has the Dredd mega-epic Day of Chaos going on at the moment including a return of three major villains The Dark Judges, Fear, Fire and Mortis. Considering how the story started, this is quite a twist.

I also continue getting the digital editions of some DC's new 52 including Animal Man, Swamp Thing and All Star Western. I used to get Action Comics too but that's kinda lost me. I've been getting Frankenstein too, but I'm considering dropping that. It's pretty good, but what with sudden new debt expenditure cropping up, I should probably cut down on my comics. I've cancelled my order of The Ultimate Marvel Collection for this reason, which is a shame as they're nice books. (I can still pick up back issues if and when though, but I don't really want to pay out that amount every week. Decent deal though it is.)

WeDealInLead
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I dropped Action too. It was losing steam and I didn't like the direction of it. Also dropped Detective, Superman and Batgirl.

Brainslinger
05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
It seemed to go on a complete tangent, didn't it? I understand it was due to issues of writer (or artist) being behind in their stuff. A shame, as it was a great idea. I wish they'd stuck with the story of the young bejeaned Superman.

I finished Volume 11 of The Walking Dead last night. Pretty accessible as I'd hoped. Disturbing thought provoking stuff. A great read. I'm enjoying Volume 12.

Tatts4Life
05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm waiting for the next Walking Dead volume so I can be caught up then I'll start buying the single issues. No point in spending ~$15 when the volume will cost me $10. I've been turned onto Locke & Key. I've read the first 4 volumes and I'm waiting for volume 5 to come out. American Vampire is one of my favorites. I'm also reading just about anything and everything Zenescope has and is putting out. Comixology is doing a half off sale on Vertigo's Fables series and I'm debating on if i should get into that series too. Can't think of anything else I'm reading. I would love to get into DC and Marvels comics but I feel that I would be missing something for not staring from the beginning.

WeDealInLead
05-13-2012, 02:49 PM
DC has the New 52 line of books. You don't need to know any background, they all started at 1. First trades are finally coming out. Suggested reading is Batman 'Court of Owls' and first trades of Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

Brainslinger
05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Swamp Thing and Animal Man.
I've been downloading the digital version of these. (Mainly to save money, but I'll admit, it's not nearly as nice as having the real thing.) Very enjoyable, and actually pretty disturbing and a bit scary in places. Much more horror than super-hero stories, I'd say. (Not a bad thing for me, of course.)

WeDealInLead
05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Oh, they're very much horror. Did you notice the nods to previous Swamp Thing writters in the first issue? Pay attention to store signs and similar.

WeDealInLead
05-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Also, Frankenstein is another atypical superhero book. It's by the writter of Animal Man, Jeff Lemire. Justice League Dark is great too. John Constantine became a major player in it.

Brainslinger
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm reading Frankenstein too. I understand next episode (well technically the current one as I buy the digital copies when the price goes down so I'm a month back) crosses over with Animal man.

I'll admit, I didn't really notice the nods to other Swamp Thing writers in episode one, but then again the only Swamp thing I've read (apart from this) is Alan Moore's run, borrowed from the library a while back. I did notice they're keeping to many of the same themes. Interesting bringing Swamp Thing back to Alex Olsen while Moore seemed to depart from him to some extent. And twisting things round where the affects of the formula are concerned.

WeDealInLead
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I'll check the first issue again but I remember seeing Wreightson on a signpost or something like that.

DoctorDodge
06-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Once again, been trying to catch up on my huge backlog of 2000AD progs. A few weeks ago I had between 30 and 40 to read, now I'm down to just 7 to catch up on before the next one arrives. One reason for this mega catch-up is the latest prog begins the final story of Nikolai Dante. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's good to know that a comic epic designed to be a complete story with a beginning, middle and ending planned from the start is going to get just that. On the other, although I've only followed the run during the past 6 years (it started in 1997), only reading from the middle of the series really, I've really loved the strip a lot, with Dante becoming one of my favourite characters of the comic after Dredd. It'll be sad when I have to say goodbye to him. :(

Oh, speaking of Dredd: holy shit, the Day of Chaos arc has been bloody awesome so far! I haven't even reached the Day itself yet (and I'm not sure the strip has either, tbh) but already we've got a huge bodycount in Mega-City 1, by this point. Haven't seen this amount of pure epic carnage from the strip since Necropolis! I'll be interested to see where it's all heading!

Tatts4Life
06-07-2012, 05:57 AM
My newest addiction thanks to Comixology and their awesome sales in Fables. Such a great story. I bought all 115 issues they had on sale plus all the side issues like the 50 issues of Jake of Fables and the Literals crossover.

WeDealInLead
06-07-2012, 06:24 AM
My newest additions to my list are Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Dial H by China Mievile. Both are smart, funny and interesting.

Brainslinger
06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Once again, been trying to catch up on my huge backlog of 2000AD progs. A few weeks ago I had between 30 and 40 to read, now I'm down to just 7 to catch up on before the next one arrives. One reason for this mega catch-up is the latest prog begins the final story of Nikolai Dante. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's good to know that a comic epic designed to be a complete story with a beginning, middle and ending planned from the start is going to get just that. On the other, although I've only followed the run during the past 6 years (it started in 1997), only reading from the middle of the series really, I've really loved the strip a lot, with Dante becoming one of my favourite characters of the comic after Dredd. It'll be sad when I have to say goodbye to him. :(

I agree, Dante is a great character. I think I've been reading 2000 AD for around 3-4 years now, so there's a lot of Dante stuff I've missed. I've bought the first two collections but unfortunately the third is out of print...

Oh, speaking of Dredd: holy shit, the Day of Chaos arc has been bloody awesome so far! I haven't even reached the Day itself yet (and I'm not sure the strip has either, tbh) but already we've got a huge bodycount in Mega-City 1, by this point. Haven't seen this amount of pure epic carnage from the strip since Necropolis! I'll be interested to see where it's all heading!

Great, isn't it? And I didn't think they would be back, considering how the arc started.

DoctorDodge
06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, that's it, I'm all caught up! After a few weeks of reading nothing but 2000AD progs that had been slowly building up over the last few months, I'm now totally up to speed (perhaps even a little ahead, as my subscribed issue arrives several days before it does instore). And what a perfect time, too: after nearly a year of build-up, the Day of Chaos has finally arrived! Considering the huge amount of destruction that's already happened to Mega-City 1, (as well as the amount that happens in just the first 6 pages of the Day itself), I'm so excited to see where this leads on a week by week basis.

I agree, Dante is a great character. I think I've been reading 2000 AD for around 3-4 years now, so there's a lot of Dante stuff I've missed. I've bought the first two collections but unfortunately the third is out of print...

That's the thing, why one of the strip's greatest strengths is also it's greatest weakness: it's a story you have to read in order in order to get the full benefit, making it just a little less accessible than a lot of other comic series when everyone really just buys the best stories that they know of. Make's it a pain tracking it down. I know they re-released the first volume recently for the US market, now renamed "Too Cool to Kill", so they'll probably release the 2nd volume, too. I'll probably get both of those, if I can't track down the UK paperbacks.

Great, isn't it? And I didn't think they would be back, considering how the arc started.

Oh, I know! I loved how in the last couple of progs, Wagner was able to tell just a couple of 6 page complete stories within the Day of Chaos arc, which we really haven't had in a long while. Amazing how the writers of 2000AD can do that, particularly the last one. Having PJ Maybe capture the Dark Judges for a "special occasion" was a genius move, as that was a perfectly done meeting of my favourite villains from the strip. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

DoctorDodge
06-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Gotta say that I'm really dissapointed that those bastards still haven't released a trailer for Dredd yet. Less than 3 months and still nothing? They better not be leaving it until comic-con, that's all i can say.

Anyway, in the meantime, I'm currently going through my collection of Judge Dredd Case Files. Now on volume 7. Probably the weakest volume I've read in a while, but still pretty good. Honestly, I'm just really looking forward to reading the Democracy arc, when the strip added a huge amount of maturity and complexity by taking a good hard look at Dredd's world. I don't think it's for a couple of volumes yet, but still, really looking forward to reading it.

Brainslinger
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Gotta say that I'm really dissapointed that those bastards still haven't released a trailer for Dredd yet. Less than 3 months and still nothing? They better not be leaving it until comic-con, that's all i can say.

It's low budget film so I don't think the trailer is their priority. Mind you, I agree, they're cutting it a bit fine having just brought out the official poster (a version I see you showing above. Great isn't it?)

I think the trailer will be pretty soon though. The official movie site (http://www.dreddthemovie.com/) is now up and running, although there isn't a whole lot there yet.

DoctorDodge
06-16-2012, 03:47 AM
It's low budget film so I don't think the trailer is their priority. Mind you, I agree, they're cutting it a bit fine having just brought out the official poster (a version I see you showing above. Great isn't it?)

I think the trailer will be pretty soon though. The official movie site (http://www.dreddthemovie.com/) is now up and running, although there isn't a whole lot there yet.

Yeah, I never expected to have a trailer a year in advance or anything like that, but something a little sooner than less than 3 months, at least. (The poster is awesome, though, and a lot better than the Stallone poster, no question.)

Still, with all these signs like new poster and new websiter, you're right, a trailer should be expected soon. Although to be honest, I was kinda hoping it would've been less than a week after the poster was revealed. :P Still, i've got more than enough of the comic to keep me occupied until then. Speaking of which: prog 1788 arrived today, along with the latest Megazine! Something to keep me occupied today, I think!

WeDealInLead
06-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I've only read Garth Ennis's run on JD and I loved it. I've since stupidly sold all those books. Are they all collected somewhere? I had them in oversized red books.

I highly suggest Brian Wood's new series: Massive. It's the strongest new comic IMO, tied with Brian K. Vaughn's Saga. I'd say if I had to pick only 5 books for my list they'd be Saga, Massive, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batman (Snyder). They're taking comic books to the whole new level, it's absolutely incredible.

Jeff Lemire is now writting Justice League Dark and the first issue was promising. Dial H (Mieville) got even weirder with issue 2. New arc of American Vampire just started. That's 3rd book by Scott Snyder that's on my list (Batman, Swamp Thing, AV).

DMZ ended. I read the last trade last night. It broke my heart, goddamn you Brian Wood.

DoctorDodge
06-16-2012, 07:19 AM
I've only read Garth Ennis's run on JD and I loved it. I've since stupidly sold all those books. Are they all collected somewhere? I had them in oversized red books.

I think they've pretty much collected his entire run in the recent case files, volumes 15-19. Strange, as I've heard his run is one of the weakest of the strips. I've read a little of his stuff, and it's good, but the stuff written by John Wagner and Alan Grant are the best, really. Anyway, I'll read more of Ennis's stuff when I get to it.

WeDealInLead
06-16-2012, 07:26 AM
They could be the weakest, I have nothing to compare them to. I love Garth Ennis, he's my favourite next to Warren Ellis. Battlefields, War Stories, Preacher.. list goes on.

DoctorDodge
06-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I'm keen to check out more of his stuff, especially Preacher, but you should definitely check out other Dredd stories by Wagner, especially America. Incredibly amazing writing there.

OchrisO
06-16-2012, 03:51 PM

I highly suggest Brian Wood's new series: Massive. It's the strongest new comic IMO, tied with Brian K. Vaughn's Saga. I'd say if I had to pick only 5 books for my list they'd be Saga, Massive, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batman (Snyder). They're taking comic books to the whole new level, it's absolutely incredible.

Jeff Lemire is now writting Justice League Dark and the first issue was promising. Dial H (Mieville) got even weirder with issue 2. New arc of American Vampire just started. That's 3rd book by Scott Snyder that's on my list (Batman, Swamp Thing, AV).

DMZ ended. I read the last trade last night. It broke my heart, goddamn you Brian Wood.

Saga is soooo good. It makes me sad that I have to wait for issues.

Brainslinger
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Yeah, I never expected to have a trailer a year in advance or anything like that, but something a little sooner than less than 3 months, at least. (The poster is awesome, though, and a lot better than the Stallone poster, no question.)

Still, with all these signs like new poster and new websiter, you're right, a trailer should be expected soon.

Something you might find interesting. (http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,36280.msg0.html#new) I guess I should really put it in the movie thread, but I doubt there'll be a whole lot of interest on this forum

I assume they're referring to this site (http://www.machinima.com/). Next Thursday!

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
YES!!! :D

Brainslinger
06-20-2012, 08:13 AM
YES!!! :D

A quick taster for you.

EDIT- I see there's a Dredd thread in the film section so I'll take it there: Clicky. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15116-Dredd&p=707133&viewfull=1#post707133)

Brainslinger
06-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Okay, not so much a 'what are you reading' post (although in a sense it's true as I am reading 2000 AD) I was interested to see this news (http://www.2000adonline.com/news/19-06-2012/sneak_peak_the_dark_tower_of_justice/) on the official 2000 AD site. I never thought there'd be a link between the two lawmen of series I like so much, if only an artist!

OchrisO
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
I have just started reading Brian Wood's comic DMZ. I am on issue #7 and is is soooooo fucking good. I can't believe I overlooked it for this long. I started looking into his other stuff because The Massive has been so good and boy am I glad I did!

WeDealInLead
07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Northlanders by Wood is my favourite. Demo is basically all one-shots. Like a 7" single. Quick, complete story in a single issue. They're all collected in paperbacks too.

fernandito
07-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I have just started reading Brian Wood's comic DMZ. I am on issue #7 and is is soooooo fucking good. I can't believe I overlooked it for this long. I started looking into his other stuff because The Massive has been so good and boy am I glad I did!

You know, I collected the first 4 vol's of that and then I just ... stopped reading. Not that I lost interest in it, it's a very good series, I just stopped for whatever reason. I'll probably go back to it someday.

Due to a tightened budget I've only been collecting the Batman New 52 stuff and Amazing Spiderman. I was going to start the Ozymandias/Rorschach 'Before Watchmen' series but I'll just wait until they're out in TPB.

Brainslinger
07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I got 3 comic trades from my local library recently. They include:

Sweet Tooth. : The second volume. I read it last night, and it was great. A post apocalyptic story with an unusual premise. I'll try to find the first volume. (I should have read that first but it was not in the library.)

The Losers, volumes 2 and 3: I've yet to read this. It's authored by a couple of 2000 AD creators though: Andy Diggle and Jock, and they produce good stuff.

On the single issues front, I continue to get 2000 AD, Judge Dredd Megazine, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All Star Western and Frankenstein: Agent of Shade. I might drop the last one. It's not bad, I just prefer the others. And I should save some money.

Emily
07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I just got back from family vacation and read a bunch of awesome stuff that people (Chris) have been telling me to read.

American Vampire
Chew
Saga
Morning Glories
Mind the Gap
The Walking Dead (from issue 70 til now)

Everything was fantastic. I spoiled myself by waiting to have a whole bunch of them to read at once though, now I'm going to be miserable waiting for them month to month.

fernandito
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Emily, I have a strong suspicion that you'd love The Unwritten.

Emily
07-18-2012, 09:40 AM
I read the first 5 or so issues of that at one point, and I loved it. Kind of the same situation as you said a few posts back, I just stopped for whatever reason. I have the rest so I could catch up whenever. Maybe tonight I'll try?

Also, does anyone read Atomic Robo? That's another I started and loved. I need to have a Grand Catching Up night.

OchrisO
07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I just got back from family vacation and read a bunch of awesome stuff that people (Chris) have been telling me to read.

American Vampire
Chew
Saga
Morning Glories
Mind the Gap
The Walking Dead (from issue 70 til now)

Everything was fantastic. I spoiled myself by waiting to have a whole bunch of them to read at once though, now I'm going to be miserable waiting for them month to month.

Saga is so ridiculously good that it kills me to have to wait a month between issues. I'm not sure one man should be allowed to have as much talent as Brian K Vaughn. Fiona Staples' artwork on Saga is, hands down, some of the best in the business right now.

OchrisO
07-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I got 3 comic trades from my local library recently. They include:

Sweet Tooth. : The second volume. I read it last night, and it was great. A post apocalyptic story with an unusual premise. I'll try to find the first volume. (I should have read that first but it was not in the library.)

The Losers, volumes 2 and 3: I've yet to read this. It's authored by a couple of 2000 AD creators though: Andy Diggle and Jock, and they produce good stuff.

On the single issues front, I continue to get 2000 AD, Judge Dredd Megazine, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All Star Western and Frankenstein: Agent of Shade. I might drop the last one. It's not bad, I just prefer the others. And I should save some money.

I have approached Sweet Tooth a couple of time and something else always drags my attention away from it. It seems interesting, though. I fully intend to read it all at some point.

fernandito
07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Saga, you say ...

OchrisO
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Saga, you say ...

Yep. There are only five issues out right now, so it would be a very good series to jump into. BKV said he plans for it to be an epic series that does for a while, too.

Emily
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Feev, definitely start Saga. It's only 5 issues in and I'm still mad at myself for waiting this long to read it. Like Chris said, the artwork is amazing. It's like everything I've wanted my artwork to look like since I was little.

OchrisO
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Feev, definitely start Saga. It's only 5 issues in and I'm still mad at myself for waiting this long to read it. Like Chris said, the artwork is amazing. It's like everything I've wanted my artwork to look like since I was little.

How about that last page of issue 5? :(

It is kind of odd, because it is a character that was trying to catch the protagonists, but it still made me sad

WeDealInLead
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
If I had to narrow down my pull list from 14 to 5, I'd choose Saga, Massive, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman (by Snyder)

Sweet Tooth is mind-blowingly great. Everything Jeff Lemire does is great (Animal Man, Essex County, first arc of Frankenstein etc).

Brainslinger
07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I did a bit of Sweet Tooth research on Comixology hoping they'd have a deal for collected series (so far it seems they don't, you have to buy em individually, although granted, cheaper than each of the comics) only to see how far back I actually am on volume 2. I thought it was a pretty new series, as well! (Mind you, comparatively speaking I suppose it is.)

OchrisO
07-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Feev, you should also check out Morning Glories. I just finished up the issues that are currently out based on seeing it on Emily's list and knowing we have very similar comic tastes. The reason I say you should check it out is that I keep seeing it billed as "Runaways meets Lost," and it very much lives up to that billing.

Here is a little premise blurb:

The series takes place almost exclusively at the fictional Morning Glory Academy, an exclusive boarding school for teenagers. Beneath its placid facade, the school is actually involved in the murder and torture of students as well as various investigations into occult and supernatural phenomenon. The main action focuses on six students from diverse backgrounds as they enter Morning Glory Academy and try to survive.

Brainslinger
07-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Not so much currently reading, but a heads up of something coming soon (I didn't really want to start a new thread for this.)
Dredd film prequel (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39960). Not sure why they're emphasising the 3D but...

Oh an error there- Mama is not a prison warden. She's a drug dealer crime boss in Peach Trees block.

frik
07-23-2012, 06:12 AM
http://www.atomicbooks.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/r/creepyarch13.jpg

Absolutely LOVE these books - as well as the Eerie and Vampirella Archives. And not comic related, but next year a start will be made in releasing a complete (hardcover) set of the original Famous Monsters of Filmland issues.
Can't wait for those!

sk

Brice
07-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Very cool! I've always loved all those old comics and it would be great to have all of Famous Monsters collected.

fernandito
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Chris! I went to my shop on Friday to look for Saga, but they only had issue #5, and none of the backlog copies ... :(

I'll just grab it on TPB when it comes out.

frik
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Very cool! I've always loved all those old comics and it would be great to have all of Famous Monsters collected.

For sure. The only thing is, there will be 3-5 issues per book. The original FM run consisted of 191 issues (well, fewer actually, as there were no FM 70-79 published), so we're talking about some 50 books, thousands of dollars to collect them, plus more than 10 years to get a complete collection.

OUCH!

sk

Brice
07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
:(

OchrisO
07-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris! I went to my shop on Friday to look for Saga, but they only had issue #5, and none of the backlog copies ... :(

I'll just grab it on TPB when it comes out.

Damn, that sucks. :(

I think the first TPB doesn't release until late Oct.

fernandito
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh that's perfect. I still have a lot of stuff I need to catch up on anyway. It's not that far away.

OchrisO
07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
There isn't really a place to put these, but I wanted to share them because they are both quite amazing fan films.

The first is a Y: The Last Man fan film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgzjWuPMBc&feature=player_embedded

The second is a Deadpool fan film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpXu4j7ibM

This Spider-Man one is also well done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwx98s4og1s&feature=player_embedded

DoctorDodge
07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
I'll have to check those out later. One fan film I'm very keen to check out though is Judge Minty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JhQXCjTLY

One thing of interest is that not only do the guys behind the new Dredd film know about it, they've been very positive about it, particularly Alex Garland, even paying a little homage to it:
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHp06NFbTaJjsu_1_m.jpg

Always nice to know when the guys making films of something you obsessively geek over are also clearly fans themselves and not just doing it for the money, as was clearly the case for the Stallone film.

fernandito
07-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Nice. I'll be watching all of those later. Heard the Y one was particularly good.

Empath of the White
07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others.

WeDealInLead
07-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Hellboy Library Edition vol 3: Conqueror Worm & Strange Places
Vampirella Masters Vol 1. w/ Millar and Morrison

Brainslinger
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
One fan film I'm very keen to check out though is Judge Minty:

Yes! When I went to FP a few weeks back, one of the guys showed us a bit of footage from that film on his phone. He actually took part in it. (He mainly played the role of Minty during the running/action stuff when you can't see his face. The man who plays the role is a proper actor, and quite elderly at that so they couldn't have him run around. I think he helped during the action scenes showing them how to move, hold their weapon, etc, as he used to be in the army.)

OchrisO
08-01-2012, 07:06 PM

You know, I collected the first 4 vol's of that and then I just ... stopped reading. Not that I lost interest in it, it's a very good series, I just stopped for whatever reason. I'll probably go back to it someday.

Due to a tightened budget I've only been collecting the Batman New 52 stuff and Amazing Spiderman. I was going to start the Ozymandias/Rorschach 'Before Watchmen' series but I'll just wait until they're out in TPB.

Man, I am up to issue #40 of DMZ now and have no idea how you were able to put it down. It is so fricken good and makes me think about so much stuff in regards to how our country is moving politically right now.

fernandito
08-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Now you're making me feel bad bitch hahaha.

I'll look for my TPB's. I need to refresh my memory on the series.

Brainslinger
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I picked up the two volumes (well technically it's four volumes as each book contains two.) of The Losers written by Andy Diggle and drawn (mostly) by Jock.

Still munching my way through the first volume and it's a great read! It's basically the comic equivalent of a heist/conspiracy theory/action thriller movie!

I'll admit, I don't normally gravitate towards that kind of thing* tending to be sucked in by the gimick of the strange. So if it's not sci-fi, horror, or fantasy (and I'll include Superhero stuff and urban fantasy in this) I tend not to go with it. Shallow I know. I'm glad I gave this a chance as it's a great ride.

Apparently it got made into a film too. While it rings a bell, that pretty much past me by.

*Although heist stuff does tick a box for me.

DoctorDodge
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dB-PNsTtL._SS500_.jpg

Brainslinger
08-08-2012, 09:41 AM
That's one book I've never read. I enjoyed the film though.

Tatts4Life
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Anybody here read the Locke & Key series? I just picked up volume 5: clock works. This is such a cool series.

Forge of the King
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm reading DT: Fall of Gilead. I'm reading it out of order (I've already finished all of The Gunslinger up until The Way Station, which I just received in the mail with Fall of Gilead) but in any case, I'm loving it. After this, I'll be reading The Way Station. These graphic novels / comics are great!

Forge of the King
08-08-2012, 01:44 PM
By the way: Richard Isanove's artwork is easily my favorite of the DT graphic novels / comics.

OchrisO
08-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Anybody here read the Locke & Key series? I just picked up volume 5: clock works. This is such a cool series.

That series is super good and feels quite original. I also love the artwork.

Tatts4Life
08-08-2012, 05:21 PM
That series is super good and feels quite original. I also love the artwork.

I love all the different keys. I would love to know when volume 6 will start up.

Brice
08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
What I have read of Locke & Key was excellent.

DoctorDodge
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
http://clzimages.com/comic/large/cf/cf_279048_0_NikolaiDanteTooCoolToKill.jpg

FUCK YES!!!

Outside of Judge Dredd, this was one of my favourite comic series. I say "was", as it recently finished in 2000AD. You can't imagine how sad I was when that happened. I had only been reading it for 6 out of the 15 years it's been in the strip, but in that time I had really loved the characters, the depth, the epicness, and, most importantly, the fun! Seriously: a Russian rogue in a scifi retro/future setting who survives by his wits, his womanising and his blades that grow out of his arms? What the hell's more fun than that?

Reading from the very beginning for the first time, I'm loving it even more. There's a lot of things being set up that seem small but build up into much greater threats over time, and of course, it's interesting seeing some important relationships in the early beginnings. Best of all is Nikolai. In the strips I read, it was clear that, while he was still a fun loving bastard, he had been through a lot. It's nice to see him at a more innocent fun-loving time.

It's weird to think that something this fun came from 2000AD, the same comic that made Judge Dredd!

OchrisO
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I have been reading the third volume of New Mutants that was started back up in 2009 with most of the original lineup, with Cannonball as the team leader again. I LOVED The New Mutants when I was a kid, even through the horrible Rob Liefeld art years. Of course, I was a kid at the time and only now hate Liefeld's art in retrospect. I'm quite liking this run as well, especially since it brought back a number of old characters like Cypher and Warlock.

Brainslinger
08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Outside of Judge Dredd, this was one of my favourite comic series. I say "was", as it recently finished in 2000AD. You can't imagine how sad I was when that happened. I had only been reading it for 6 out of the 15 years it's been in the strip, but in that time I had really loved the characters, the depth, the epicness, and, most importantly, the fun! Seriously: a Russian rogue in a scifi retro/future setting who survives by his wits, his womanising and his blades that grow out of his arms? What the hell's more fun than that?

Yeah, I like Nicholai Dante. I've got the UK equivalent of that collection, The Romanov Dynasty (I think the American name is better) and the second volume The great Game, and I read the latter stories through the comic. There's a big gap I haven't yet caught up on - a shame as The Courtship of Jena Makarov is out of print. I'm hoping that now the saga has ended, there will be more reprints.

WeDealInLead
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
How is everyone liking the Animal Man & Swamp Thing crossover? Lemire and Snyder are actually plotting both books together now and it's nealy impossible to read one without the other.

The new issue of DT is as bad as this entire arc. Oh well. Cover art is beautiful and if I take it off my monthly list, my discount will decrease to 15% so it's worth keeping it just for that. I know there are no news about a new arc, but I'm still rooting for it. I'm masochistic (because this is really brutal) but also hopeful, because DT are my favourite books ever.

New Batwoman actually made sense. Last few issues were a little confusing but this one sort of recapped everything and also there was a bit of a crossover with Wonder Woman.

On the graphic novel front, I just finished Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire. It's a re-print of his first (self)published work and it's very raw and rough but his style is there in its early but recognizible form. I'll read Hellboy Library 4 next and then start chipping away at From Hell by Alan Moore.

WeDealInLead
08-16-2012, 04:39 PM
That's one book I've never read. I enjoyed the film though.

It's different from the movie. I really, really liked it.

Tatts4Life
08-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Anybody here read Invincible? I've never read it but Comixology is having a big 3 day sale. Is the comic any good? I'm thinking of maybe getting it.

DoctorDodge
08-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Finished volume 9 last night, now onto volume 10!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517njqDgE7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

fernandito
08-22-2012, 08:18 AM
I gave in and picked up the first volume of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Really looking forward to starting it.

Also picked up :

Batman #12
Batman & Robin # 12
Batman Inc. # 1,2,3
Daredevil # 17

Empath of the White
08-25-2012, 09:16 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2h2fg9t.jpg

This new series looks like it'll take characters from the 80's-early 90's cartoon and adapting them to fit a tone similar to the original comics by Eastman and Laird. I haven't read those; I did try tracking them down but the prices were a bit much.

WeDealInLead
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I just received B.P.R.D. Plague of Frogs vol. 3 omnibus (it's a thick one) and Fables 5 hardcover. I have Hellboy Vol. 5 Library Edition and Alan Moore's From Hell. I'm not sure which one to start first.

Brainslinger
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Anybody here read Invincible? I've never read it but Comixology is having a big 3 day sale. Is the comic any good? I'm thinking of maybe getting it.

I picked up the first two collections at the library and though it was pretty good.

OchrisO
08-27-2012, 11:58 AM

I love Invincible. It has some very complex and interesting characters for a superhero book as well as some of the most bloody, detailed fights I have ever seen later in the issues.

DTRAiN235
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I am always keeping up on my Walking Dead books.
ALso enjoying the Before Watchmen series that has just started up

fernandito
08-29-2012, 08:08 AM
I was going to start collecting the Before Watchmen arcs but I'm thinking I'll just hold out for the TPBs. Much less cumbersome.

Also - fucking love your Invisibles icon man! One of my all time favorite series. Grant Morrison is a fucking genius.

DTRAiN235
08-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I was going to start collecting the Before Watchmen arcs but I'm thinking I'll just hold out for the TPBs. Much less cumbersome.

Also - fucking love your Invisibles icon man! One of my all time favorite series. Grant Morrison is a fucking genius.

I feel like I should have waited on the Before Watchmen TPB....it's too late now...i am committed (so i will HAVE to get the TPB on top of the issues) :arg:

Glad to meet another opponent of the Outer Church! Grant Morrison's most recent take on Batman and Robin is also melt-your-brain fantastic! His Arkham Asylum book is a stand alone classic IMHO.

Who is your favorite Invisible?

WeDealInLead
08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I'll be picking up that Invisibles omnibus. 1500 pages!!! I just need $120 that I don't know what to do with.

OchrisO
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I am still refusing to buy Before Watchmen.

DoctorDodge
08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Glad it's not just me. To me, without any kind of involvement of both Moore and Gibbons, it's little better than licensed fanfic. Someone told me that they bought the Rorschach stuff, regretted it almost immediately. They said to me one line Rorschach said: "Bitch to be you right now." Confirmed that I should just save my money for other stuff.

fernandito
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Oh King Mob, definitely. He cemented himself as one of my favorite comic characters in Entropy in the UK when he

mind battles the Outer Church envoy (forgot his name, Sir something?) while he's being held captive. That was amazingly in both conception and execution.

Also, did you notice how big an inspiration that scene was for the Matrix scene where Morpheus is being held captive?

DTRAiN235
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Glad it's not just me. To me, without any kind of involvement of both Moore and Gibbons, it's little better than licensed fanfic. Someone told me that they bought the Rorschach stuff, regretted it almost immediately. They said to me one line Rorschach said: "Bitch to be you right now." Confirmed that I should just save my money for other stuff.

IDK...it doesnt even hold a flicker of a candle to Watchmen. It's just good fun. I try not to get too serious about my comics. It isn't excactly just licensed fanfic. It actually goes in deeper to some of the back stories mentioned in the original novel. Sure, there has to be a certain amount of "filling in the gaps."

And Moore doesnt support any of his work being filmed, etc.

I think the guy is a loon! :P

DTRAiN235
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Oh King Mob, definitely. He cemented himself as one of my favorite comic characters in Entropy in the UK when he

mind battles the Outer Church envoy (forgot his name, Sir something?) while he's being held captive. That was amazingly in both conception and execution.

Also, did you notice how big an inspiration that scene was for the Matrix scene where Morpheus is being held captive?

The influence on Matrix is obvious! (but awesome)

Wasn't the guy's name Sir Miles?

My favorite is Ragged Robin especially when she:

Realizes that Mr. Quimper is in her head, but tricks him into thinking Lord Fanny was her. It made him vulnerable to take him out.

She's a crazy one she is!

The concepts of universal timetravel and her watching herself as a child from the cliff in New Mexico just completely melted my brain.

I actually just started up Say you want a Revolution? again to reread the series again for the 3rd time.

WeDealInLead
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Moore does seem legitimately off his rocker... and I love him for it. I love his prose, his comics, books etc but he IS a hypocrite. He does receive sizeable royalties from Watchmen. He doesn't approve of Before Watchmen (I wouldn't either) but he did the same thing to Swamp Thing. He took someone else's creation and morphed it into what he though Swampy should be. Now Len Wein (the creator of Swamp Thing) apparently writes Before Watchmen. He also wrote Superman and Batman i.e. someone else's creations.

DoctorDodge
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
It isn't excactly just licensed fanfic. It actually goes in deeper to some of the back stories mentioned in the original novel. Sure, there has to be a certain amount of "filling in the gaps."

See, that's my biggest problem. There's doing your own take on long-running established characters - as has been the case numerous times with Superman, Batman, Sherlock Holmes etc - and honestly, I'm ok with that stuff, as characters like those have almost limitless story potential, but the "filling in the gaps" on something as fully formed as the characters in Watchmen just doesn't interest me so much when it's not the creators, and sometimes, even they fuck it up. There will always be the temptation at least on the writers part to deviate from what was canon anyway. Now, I wouldn't be so skeptical, if it weren't for the Dark Tower comics. At first, they were pretty good, but as they went on, they got more and more hit and miss, until I eventually lost interest altogether. In fact, for me, prequel stories don't often work. Look at the Star Wars prequels (although I will admit, I really enjoyed Revenge of the Sith). Like I said, I'd probably give it a shot, if they were great comics. As it is, using the names and characters of one of the greatest graphic novels ever written isn't enough for me to buy 'em atm.

fernandito
08-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I know that the BW comics will never, ever, ever ever, match up to the original, but I've already segregated the two in my mind a long time ago. I'll go into BW looking to enjoy it on it's own terms.