Picked up a few new issues yesterday :

Preacher Vol.1
Amazing Spiderman #'s 601-605
Deadpool - Merc With a Mouth #3
Enders Game - Battle School - 1 of 5
Batman (Reborn) #690

Brainslinger
09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm currently reading Spawn Volume 2. It's ok. Oh, and I got the latest 2000 AD today (well actually yesterday now, but I haven't got to bed yet. ;) ) and the current stories have been rather good. Actually, it's been pretty good for a while now.

Seymour_Glass
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Picked up a few new issues yesterday :

Preacher Vol.1
Amazing Spiderman #'s 601-605
Deadpool - Merc With a Mouth #3
Enders Game - Battle School - 1 of 5
Batman (Reborn) #690

Preacher is beyond words awesome.

fernandito
09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I pretty much devoured Vol. 1, I'll probably swing by my shop tomorrow to get Vol 2.... and 3.... and 4... :cyclops:

Seymour_Glass
09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Dude. I'm almost jealous, with you reading it for the first time. :thumbsup:

Sam
09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Feev, yer in for one helluva ride dude.

I've been rereading Astro City from beginning to end this last week myself as well as the latest GI Joe trade from IDW.

fernando1
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
i'm currently reading
the aliens omnibus saga
really good comics they stay true to the movies

turtlex
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the site, fernando !!

I've never gotten into the Aliens comics, but have heard some good things about them.

I finally picked up the latest issue of Detective Comics ( 857 )... loving it !

fernando1
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
thanks i'm a dark tower junkie i don't know why it took me so long to find this site
the aliens comics are awesome give them a try i would buy the omnibus becouse they are all compiled together and there is a whole lot of them

Brainslinger
10-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I just finished Spawn volume 2. Not bad. Not great, although I like the character and his costume.

Currently reading Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame.

On starting it I realise I've read it before. Interesting, incredibly freaky stuff though!

My problem with Hellblazer comics is nothing seems to really be resolved at the end. To be fair I haven't read them all though, but the impression I get is that 'weird smeg happens (which is fun in itself!) and that's it.

I find myself drawn in and enjoying it though.

Arthur Heath
10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I pretty much devoured Vol. 1, I'll probably swing by my shop tomorrow to get Vol 2.... and 3.... and 4... :cyclops:

Its about time dood.

fernandito
10-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Seriously! I have no idea why I lagged it so long in starting this series, but hey! Better late than never right? :D

btw - did you ever start the Incognito series?

fernandito
10-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Newest additions :

Doom Patrol Vol. 1
Preacher Vol. 2
Batman & Robin #'s 2, 3, 4
Amazing Spiderman #'s 608, 609

flaggwalkstheline
10-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Amazing Spiderman #'s 608, 609

SOOOO excited about the revisiting of the clone saga:excited:

fernandito
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
:lol: Yeah, I know you're all about that clone saga. Have you been collecting the recent issues?

I just started Doom Patrol Vol. 1 - is there anything that Grant Morrison does that isn't incredible? I have yet to read anything by this guy that I haven't enjoyed.

darkwolf
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I started reading a few series today, Transmetropolitan (on the 2nd volume, awesome series so far), 30 Days of Night (read the first 2 vols, really cool), and Whatever Happed to the Caped Crusader (another one I loved)!

Brainslinger
10-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I recently read Ultimate Fantastic 4, Volume 2. Not bad. Oh, and I continue to get 2000 AD. Slight dip in quality lately (a couple of the stories are a bit meh) but the Dredd 'Tour of Duty' mega epic is cracking along nicely. As is the latest Strontium Dog: The Mork Whisperer and Kingdom:Call of the Wild. The weak tales of the lot in themselves (Shakara and Nercrophim) aren't too bad though.

turtlex
10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I've always gone back and forth with Fantastic 4 stories.

Anyone have any favorite F4 collections?!?

Patrick
10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
... Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader (another one I loved)!

Big :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I just started Doom Patrol Vol. 1 - is there anything that Grant Morrison does that isn't incredible? I have yet to read anything by this guy that I haven't enjoyed.

Doom Patrol effin changed my life, dude.:rock:

fernandito
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Just picked up Preacher Vol. 2 yesterday :)

turtlex
11-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Just picked up the first three GNs of Terry Moore's Echo. Super cool.

Brainslinger
11-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm reading House of M a the moment. Quite interesting and intriguing...

Brainslinger
12-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I recently (within the last 20 minutes in fact) just finished the Marvel Civil War Graphic novel.

What a great read! One of the best superhero GNs I've read in a while. Not that I've read that many. It's so interesting in that right and wrong isn't clean cut. I found myself wondering which side I'd join if I were in their tights (so to speak). On one side I think Tony Stark and the whole regulation idea is actually rather good in preventing certain heroes abusing their powers.*

On the other hand my heart seems to be with Captain America's team. Part of it's due to the romanticism associated with the vigilante hero. But also the fact that people who volunteer to help people, who put their lives on the line shouldn't be regulated so strongly. Like Dr. Strange says, there's no right or wrong. (Or there is a mixture of both on both sides.)

Brilliant, thought provoking reading.

Oh, and Spidey has an interesting new suit. Like that old song says, '[He]'s go laigs, and he knows how to use them.' Although I think it meant something quite different. Heh.

*And ironically with the whole thunderbolt and new superhero creation programme stuff that goes on, it could be argued they abused their powers too.

turtlex
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Aren't there, like, a million different Civil War GNs?

Seems every time I went to look, I found a different one, covering a different arc of the storyline.

Is this the one you read?!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WrH42ux5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

ETA: I also picked up STUMPTOWN. Greg Rucka's newest.

Brainslinger
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
That's the one. It seems to cover the whole time period although I got the impression there was a lot of off-stage stuff going on that is referenced briefly. It didn't impede the story at all though. It starts with a group of young superheroes in a kind of COPS style scenario with TV cameras finding a group of super villains hiding out in a house, if that rings a bell. One of them was a blue lady. (Namor's cousin... although she seems to be able to fly.) The other was a twit with goggles. Oh, and a fat bloke. ;)

I also warmed to Captain America in this. I had the impression he was a bit of a bland true blue superhero but he was quite 3 dimensional, even a bit crotchety. Old brain in a young body. Interestingly, before I read this, I would have thought he would be one to side with the registration act.

turtlex
12-06-2009, 12:16 PM
:thumbsup:

Cool beans, thanks!

I'll check it out.

Heather19
12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Just finished Locke & Key: Head Games. I loved it. Can't wait until the next installment is all out.

Patrick
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Just finished Locke & Key: Head Games. I loved it. Can't wait until the next installment is all out.

Heather19
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Have you read any of the new ones yet?

fernandito
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Is anyone else reading Kevin Smith's Batman run The Widening Gyre? I picked up the first three issues a few days ago (6 issue mini series) and I have to give props to Smith, they are pretty damn awesome.

turtlex
12-09-2009, 03:55 AM
I've read Kevin Smith's Daredevil stuff ( and have a cool autographed print ) but haven't picked up with the Batman yet, Feev. Might wait on the eventual GN, as I'm fairly sucked into reading Detective Comics with Batwoman, so don't necessarily want to mix my Bat-comics right now. :lol:

Brainslinger
12-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm currently working through 2000 AD issue 2010. (2000 AD do a 100 page long issue at the end of the year around Christmas time.) I'm pacing myself a bit*, but so far it's been cracking!

For you superhero fans, 2000 AD don't do superheroes that often** but there's an amusing Future Shock one off in this issue called Whatever Happened to the Green Pedestrian Palm?. He's a superhero with powers similar to The Green Lantern, except he only generates a big green hand. His job is to ensure kiddies keep road safety. It's a nice little parody with a rather dark twist ending.

*translation- it's taking me much of the day rather than the few minutes it would normally take. I originally intended to stretch it over the holidays, a couple of days at least, but there's not much hope of that. (Well okay, it's 2.28 now as I write this so technically I have passed the first day limit.)

**Judge Dredd doesn't really count. He has his heroic moments, but you can't really count a bloke who is essentially an enforcer in a police state as a superhero, particularly with his penchant for lethal force

fernandito
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Latest purchases :

Amazing Spiderman - #'s 614-616
The Dark Tower : The Fall of Gilead - 1 and 2 of 5
Batman - #694

Mark
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Just bought the Graphic Novels
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: The Killing Joke
X-Men: Wolverine
Astonishing X-Men Unstoppable

Read the first two, reall enjoyed them.

fernandito
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Have you read The Dark Knight Returns and Year One ?

Mark
12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
No, I nearly picked them up but I picked up Long Halloween instead, do you recomend?

fernandito
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
The Dark Knight Returns and Year One are essential - Year One is pretty much the template for Batman Begins, and there are a lot of thematic-elements from TDKR (which itself is considered the 'best' Batman GN of all time) in The Dark Knight, as you can probably tell from the title :lol:

Mark
12-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I kept thinking of TDK when I was reading The Long Halloween last night, probably due to all the Harvey Dent stuff. I loved the twist at the end, but I didn't understand, Why did Alberto confess, when he did none of it?

Heather19
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
So I've been reading the Sandman graphic novels, and I seem to be stuck on the third one. I absolutely loved the first one and really enjoyed the second one, but this one I'm having a hard time finishing.
Feev, I remember you saying you didn't care for one of them, was this it? And is the fourth one better?

fernandito
01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Yup, that's the one - Dream Country was the slowest, and most difficult to get through for me. Don't worry though, Vols 4 and 5 are phenomenal and get the series back on track. Stick with it :)

Heather19
01-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks, will do. I think I started it this past summer, and I'm still only 2 stories in. :(

DoctorDodge
01-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Finally read graphic novel The Dead Man, a twenty year old 2000AD strip that I had been wanting to read for years. Fantastic, but short. However, considering it's all build up to the huge twist near the end, it's probably for the best that it's short. So glad i finally read it, anyway!

fernandito
01-13-2010, 07:16 AM
recent additions :

Superman : Red Son
Batman - Black & White Vol. 1

Brainslinger
01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I finished Watchmen yesterday. What a good read! I didn't like it very much when I read it the first time some years back. I think I was hoping for something else, and I also found the ending a bit too bleak. I think part of the reason was that, after solving the underlying mystery, the heroes are mainly there as witnesses rather than affecting anything. Well, apart from Rorchach... but I understand it's not really about that..

After enjoying the film and finding the novel going for a ridiculously cheap price (under £4 including p&p, the book itself was something between 60 to 69 pence (i.e around $1. Brand new. No joke!*) I couldn't resist it, and I'm glad I bought it.

* I think it was advertised at that price by accident. that's the only reason I think of. Even stolen goods would be sold more expensive than that!

turtlex
01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Watchmen is a great book. Just wonderful.

Now the question is ... have you read V for Vendetta?!?

fernandito
01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
newest additions :

Batman #695
Batman : The Widening Gyre #4 of 6
Punisher MAX #'s 1-3 of 6

Brainslinger
01-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Now the question is ... have you read V for Vendetta?!?

Yes. I really liked that one too.

I don't own it though. Yet.

The Alan Moore books I own (although I've read much more, borrowed from the library):

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 1
A good read. I wasn't too sure of the second. I've yet to read the last two.)

Watchmen (obviously).

The Balad of Halo Jones.
This is a collection of a sci-fi strip from his days at 2000 AD. He planned to do more but unfortunately it never happened. It's a great read though and doesn't end in a bad place. It's quirky and funny but isn't afraid to be sad, dark in places and thought provoking. I'd highly recommend it, although the black and white art might put some people off.*

*Don't get me wrong. It's Ian Gibson's art and it's beautiful. I just know some people only like colour comics.

fernandito
01-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm reading Superman : Red Son -

I'm not a fan of Superman , I don't own any of his comics or GN's (apart from this one), and yet ... I can already tell that this is going to be one of my most favorite Graphic Novels of all time.

Brainslinger
01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Hmmm. I've read a similar thing about that book elsewhere. Someone not keen on Superman liking this book I mean. Is that the Elseworld's book where Kalel's ship lands in the Soviet Union?

fernandito
01-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes sir ! The very same.

Patrick
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds intriguing!

Still Servant
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Is there a new arc of Locke & Key out?

Heather19
01-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Is there a new arc of Locke & Key out?

Yep, I think it came out a few months ago.

Patrick
01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
The third story arc of LOCKE & KEY is called CROWN OF SHADOWS.

The arc thus far:

Issue #1 (https://shop.idwpublishing.com/locke-and-key-crown-of-shadows-1.html)

Issue #2 (https://shop.idwpublishing.com/locke-and-key-crown-of-shadows-2.html)

Still Servant
01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Heather and Patrick, I will have to hunt those down.

Sam
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
I am waiting for the graphic novel form of Locke & Key rather than read one issue at a time. This has more to do with it being bound in hardcover so beautifully, but also because I like to be able to read the whole thing in one sitting.

fernandito
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
So I've been looking for Kick-Ass back issues (#'s 3-7), and everywhere I've found them, they've been going for a minimum of $15 each ! Guess I'll have to wait til March for the TPB :/

Also , has anyone read the Vertigo series The Unwritten? It's supposed to be really, really good. I picked up the first issue the other day but I haven't started it yet. If I like it, I'll purchase the TPB which is supposed to be out soon.

Heather19
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I am waiting for the graphic novel form of Locke & Key rather than read one issue at a time. This has more to do with it being bound in hardcover so beautifully, but also because I like to be able to read the whole thing in one sitting.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the whole arc to come out. You can usually find the whole set on ebay for pretty cheap.

oy-the-brave
02-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Also , has anyone read the Vertigo series The Unwritten? It's supposed to be really, really good. I picked up the first issue the other day but I haven't started it yet. If I like it, I'll purchase the TPB which is supposed to be out soon.

I got the TPB last week and thought it was great.

fernandito
02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm picking the TPB up soon, Oy :)

Also , I'm about halfway through Cable / X - Force : Messiah War, the sequel to The Messiah Complex, and I have to say that I'm loving it so far !

Jon
02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I got The Stand for Valentine's Day. I am afraid to even open it. I am such a fan of The Stand I'd hate to ruin it.

turtlex
02-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Jon - Don't be afraid. It's actually pretty good. :couple:

Brainslinger
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I recently read the collection Gotham Central: Dead Robin.

It was quite interesting in that it wasn't your typical Batman story or a superhero story at all for that matter. It was a cop story set in that universe, and actually a decent (if rather clichéd) read. It included a couple of other tales in it "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and 'Corrigan 2'. Again not bad, although I felt the stories could have done with more of a twist.

Hannah
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
A coworker loaned me some hardcover big collection thing of Powers. I'd never heard of it before and I've only just started it. Seems okay.

Darkthoughts
02-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I've just started reading the Dragon Ball manga, it is hilarious! Way more risque than the cartoons...seriously, Bulma's been naked that many times I've lost count :lol:

Randall Flagg
03-04-2010, 07:11 AM
I talked a little about Rex Miller and the Chaingang series in the Centipede Press thread. I dug around and found these two issues of a short lived graphic series:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/../gallery/data/510/medium/Chaingang1.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/../gallery/data/510/medium/Chaingang2.jpg

Brainslinger
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't think I've heard of that series. Nice bottom.

Randall Flagg
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
They came out in 1990.

turtlex
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Cool, Jerome.

FYI : From what I can see, both issues of Chaingang went to a 2nd printing.

Randall Flagg
03-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Cool, Jerome.

FYI : From what I can see, both issues of Chaingang went to a 2nd printing.
How can you tell that?

turtlex
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I went to my online comic dealer and looked it up. They have an extensive "want list" feature where you can check issues and availability. They show both issues went to a 2nd printing.

Published by Northstar Comics.

Cloysterpete
03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Just downloaded those two issues, i'll check them out this weekend.

fernandito
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Latest additions :

Batman & Robin #'s 8, 9, 10
Amazing Spider Man #'s 622, 623 , 624

fernandito
03-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Newest Additions :

Amazing Spider Man # 625
Batman # 696
Batman - The Widening Gyre # 5 of 6
American Vampire # 1
Punisher MAX # 4

Heather19
03-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Just picked up Vol 4 of The Sandman Series :rock:

Patrick
03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

WeDealInLead
03-30-2010, 05:52 AM
I currently have around 20 monthly comics on my list at the shop. I can't remember all of them but favourites are all things Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis. Some titles are Captain Swing, Supergod, Battlefields, Unkown Soldier, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, The Unknown, Unwritten, Demo, N, The Stand, The Dark Tower, Greek Street, American vampire etc. There are a bunch of others that I collect only in tpb format (Star Wars, DMZ, The Northlanders, Air, Madame Xanadu, Ex Machina, Scalped).

turtlex
03-30-2010, 09:04 AM
I currently have around 20 monthly comics on my list at the shop. I can't remember all of them but favourites are all things Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis. Some titles are Captain Swing, Supergod, Battlefields, Unkown Soldier, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, The Unknown, Unwritten, Demo, N, The Stand, The Dark Tower, Greek Street, American vampire etc. There are a bunch of others that I collect only in tpb format (Star Wars, DMZ, The Northlanders, Air, Madame Xanadu, Ex Machina, Scalped).

Wow. 20 different titles a month?! That is a lot of reading !! Cool to see you posting over here in the Comic Tower.

fernandito
03-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Annnndddd ? :D

Heather19
03-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Annnndddd ? :D

I haven't started it yet! :doh:

fernandito
04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
newest additions :

Amazing Spider-Man #'s 626, 627
Batman # 698
Batman & Robin # 11
Punisher MAX #'s 5, 6

WeDealInLead
04-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Picked up Crossed yesterday. It's a new arc and not even written by Ennis. I liked it a lot. Very interesting idea.

Wolfskin also ruled. Storyline by Ellis but Wolfer wrote the script. He's not just a great artist, the story and the writting are great too.

Battlefields are still going strong. I love Ennis' war themed comics. They're either so over the top and comical (Bollock Brigade) or they're making your cry (D-Day Dodgers from War Stories. Stupid thing made my cry).

N and A. Vampire are still kicking all kinds of ass. I know most people are reading it because of SK's involvement but Snyder's story is just as great.

I wish there was a weekly "New comics" thread.

turtlex
04-22-2010, 05:42 AM
I wish there was a weekly "New comics" thread.

We just use this thread and update it anytime we get new comics! Feel free to update us anytime you get something new. :D

You're reading some great stuff. I'm making notes for future buys.

I just ordered the collections of 52 ( four volumes plus the companion - I already had 52: The Covers ). I read 52 intermittently when it was first published, but honestly, just got kind of overwhelmed with having to get a new issue every WEEK when I'm used to getting my comics monthly.

For those who don't know - 52 is a year without Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman and the "secondary" heroes have to step up. Batwoman is featured, so I'm in. :D

Brainslinger
04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm stilll reading 2000 AD, although I opted for the electronic version from Clickwheel (http://www.clickwheel.net/features/219) to save some money. (I have to say it's much more enjoyable in paper form though. IPad looks like a step in the right direction for electronic copies, but there's nothing like a real comic.

Quite a good run of strips at the moment including a kind of supernatural western called Ichabod Azrael (and the Dead left in his wake). And before you ask, no it's not a Dark Tower rip off... although there is a certain tone to it not million miles from The Gunslinger. It's actually about a killer gunfighter's adventures after he died.

And the current Dredd story is pretty good too. And some sick humour from Zombo.

turtlex
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey All -

I'm trying something new. I purchased the 52 GNs on audio! Yes, audio.

The entire GN series comes in two parts - 6 hours for each, a total of 12 hours.

They're offered by GraphicAudio and feature a "full cast, cinematic music and digital effects". It's "A Movie For Your Mind" or so says the back cover.

I'd never heard of this before, but looking at the insert - there's a couple of other DC titles available including Infinite Crisis and Superman Never Ending Battle.

I have no idea how good, or bad, these are going to be - but thought I'd give it a try.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FipSSOYaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Has anyone ever heard these?

Brainslinger
04-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Has anyone ever heard these?

Not me. I wondered how that would work when I started reading your post, but reading through, I see there are graphical elements too. I wonder if it will be similar to Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic which came out last year.

Obviously I'm referring to the medium, not the story content.

turtlex
04-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Oh, yeah, you know - I downloaded a free "edition/issue" of Watchmen for my iTouch. I had forgotten all about it.

I'll let you know how this works out - Honestly, I sort of just took a shot at it. I'm not sure how much I'll like ( or dislike ) the whole experience.

fernandito
04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
newest additions :

Amazing Spider-Man # 628
Batman - Black & White Vol. 2
The Invisibles Vol. 4
The Walking Dead Vol. 9

turtlex
05-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Okay Friends - Well, this is the deal... these are straight up audio books of the graphic novels.

They're NOT motion comics, or anything like the Watchmen ones, which I had assumed.

They are audio only. With the narrator doing descriptions of some of the panels, told very storybook like - only there are sound effects, and voice actors, and a narrator. Honestly, it's pretty cool ( except when importing them into iTunes, the disks are labelled crappy and I had to re-label them ).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FipSSOYaL._SL500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51eJWmYZfHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm enjoying it. Note though : obviously, it's abridged.

Heather19
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
newest additions :

Amazing Spider-Man # 628
Batman - Black & White Vol. 2
The Invisibles Vol. 4
The Walking Dead Vol. 9

I still need to pick up the first volume!

Heather19
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Are there any more issues left to come out in Crown of Shadows, the latest Locke and Key?

fernandito
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
newest additions :

The Invisibles Vol. 5 "Counting To None"
The Walking Dead Vol. 10
Amazing Spider-Man #629
Batman - Scarecrow Stories

Pasiuk57
05-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I have The Crown Of Shadows #1-4 so far. I do not think #5 is out yet??
I started reading the new DOc Savage comics by DC-always have been a fan.
I'm getting ready to sell a LARGE set of Spiderman, Fantastic Four and a small set of Thor.
Just need a couple more issues!

turtlex
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Just picked up a couple of Free Comic Day issues ... Iron Man / Thor. No great shakes, but free. :lol:

turtlex
05-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Just got the Trade PaperBack GN of Gunslinger Born.

Also, ordered Jenny Sparks: The Secret History of the Authority.

Oh, and am really digging 52 on audio. The more I listen to it - the cooler it is. Definitely worth the purchase.

NicNac
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Transmetropolitan!! Wonderfully funny and thought provoking, plus the main character is really entertaining!

I haven't read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, but I want to, and as soon as I finish TDT, I'm gonna pick up those graphic novels as well.

WeDealInLead
05-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Transmet is a classic! Did you finish the entire series? Spider is definitely an interesting character. I recently sold a lot of my toys but kept Spider.

I got the hardcover of Crossed in mail today. Picked up Sweet Tooth tpb, Ultimate Galactus trilogy tpb and this week's issues of Daytripper, Greek Street and The Unwritten.

turtlex
05-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Transmetropolitan!! Wonderfully funny and thought provoking, plus the main character is really entertaining!

I haven't read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, but I want to, and as soon as I finish TDT, I'm gonna pick up those graphic novels as well.

NicNac - Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll love the Sandman series. There are a lot of Neil Gaiman fans here!

Transmet is a classic! Did you finish the entire series? Spider is definitely an interesting character. I recently sold a lot of my toys but kept Spider.

I got the hardcover of Crossed in mail today. Picked up Sweet Tooth tpb, Ultimate Galactus trilogy tpb and this week's issues of Daytripper, Greek Street and The Unwritten.

Wow, lots of GNs! Let us know how you enjoy them.

Personally, I know they cost more and what not - but I love when GNs are released in hardcover format. I think they just last longer - and they look better on the shelf!

NicNac
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm only on the 3rd volume of the Transmet series. "War of the Bastard" But I am just loving it so far. Bit of a newb to comics/graphic novels. I popped my cherry on Watchmen after I saw the movie and loved it, and I've read a couple comics since then (Sisterhood, Wonderwoman Vol 1, Buffy Season 8)

Tito_Villa
06-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Well over the weekend i finally got round to reading Joe Hill's Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft and Head Games and i have to say that they were a great read ... the story and the artwork were 1st class and im really looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

fernandito
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Latest acquisitions :

Batman #700
Batman & Robin # 12
The Return of Bruce Wayne #'s 1 , 2
Amazing Spider-Man #'s 628, 629, 630, 631
American Vampire #3
The Walking Dead Vol. 11
Preacher Vol 3.

turtlex
06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
:arg: No happy. Just got a notice that the Jenny Sparks GN that I bought used via Amazon isn't available !! Gonna have to look for it elsewhere now.

WeDealInLead
06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Unknown Soldier is still kicking all sorts of ass. I warmly recommend this to everyone. No superheroes, no spandex. Just a great story and art.

Crossed 2 was even more disturbing that the 1st issue.

The comic adaptation of The Favre Dream is great so far.

That was last weeks catch but I only had time to go get it today.

Emily
07-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I just went on vacation with my family for a week and reread Preacher (so good) and also read The Walking Dead (from the beginning til current- absolutely awesome), Unwritten (pretty cool also), Atomic Robo (anyone reading this? I thought it was hilarious) and a few Battlefields (fantastic). It was a fantastic vacation as far as reading goes.

Brainslinger
07-19-2010, 02:14 AM
I recently grabbed a whole bunch of graphic novels from the a couple of libraries, which I've now read (already).
Off the top of my head...

The ABC Warriors- The Black Hole.
The ABC warriors is a long running 2000 AD strip. This book wasn't too bad, but not that good either, although it had it's moments. I like the characters though, and I'm a sucker for robots.* Rather bonkers.

Batman: The Killing Joke
I think I might have read this before a while back, but I have to say it is rather good, although also rather short. The joke at the end is still a cracker (although I find Batman's reaction a little out of character).

Heroes for Hire:
Pretty much what it says on the tin. Four gals (all well endowed in slinky outfits. All apt contenders for the sexy female superheroine thread), and four guys taking cases and fighting super villains. It should have been rather trashy (and it was) but I actually rather enjoyed it as there was a lot of humour in the strip, which is a good thing.

Caballistics Inc: Creepshow.

Another 2000 AD spawned graphic novel, and while the ABC Warriors one wasn't that good, this was very interesting. Rather than one story, it's actually a series of stories surrounding a team of paranormal investigators/fighters, many of whom are pretty paranormal in themselves. If you're thinking 'X-Files rip off' you'd actually be rather wrong although there are some X-Files elements. This is very much a horror comic. Dark. Toungue in cheek, and genuinely unsettling in places, Caballistics Inc was a long running strip which unfortunately was not continued. I'm hoping the writer Gordon Rennie changes his mind. (He supposedly left comics writing to work on computer games, but has actually penned a few others comics stories since. He apparently has no more plans for Cabs though.)

World of Warcraft
I played this a while back on trial (I can't afford to play beyond that) and rather enjoyed it, so out of curiosity, I grabbed the Book 1 graphic novel. Two words: 'oh' and 'dear'.
To be fair I didn't expect much depth, and the plot, while simple, isn't that bad. (It's about a team of gladiators one, a human warrior with amnesia.) The characters dialogue is atrocious though. And the art, although sumptuous and colourful, is a bit too Manga for me although to be fair, that is very much the games style too.

The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword.
I like George R R Martin's 'A song of Ice and Fire' a lot, and I read one of his prequel hedge knight short stories and rather enjoyed it. I'm usually a bit uncertain about reading GN adaptions of novels as I figure one should read the original (more story for one thing), but I saw it and grabbed it out curiosity. I have to say, it is actually rather good. I don't know how it compares to the original (this is a sequel to the short story I read,) but in itself it's a good thoughtful little tale with great characterisation and art. (Although one lovely lady's cute freckles do look a bit like a rash sometimes.)

Another GN I got quite recently, (this one I actually bought) is Strontium Dog: The Final Solution. A bit of a mismatch on art, and some of the dialogue made me cringe a bit, but the overall story wasn't bad. I actually bought it because the current run of SD stories in 2000 AD is 'The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha' and it makes references to the events in this book. It was quite a controversial story amongst S/D fans, featuring as it does the death of the main character. Most new stories have been set before his death, the current story in 2000 AD being the exception. In fact it suggests the events of FS might not be entirely accurate.... I'm curious how John Wagner (the writer) deals with this as, unlike Marvel and DC, 2000 AD doesn't make a habit of resurrecting dead characters.

Apart from these GNs, I'm continuing to buy 2000 AD which has had a decent run of stories lately. Just finished the big Dredd epic Tour of Duty which ran most of the year. (I was surprised it went on that long!) Had a satisfying conclusion. And there is SD (which I mentioned above) which is becoming very interesting.

*A little aside, related to the models/bust thread, there is a bunch of action figures coming out related to 2000 AD. Actually one has already come out (Tharg the mighty, the alien editor of 2000 Ad which to be honest wasn't of much interest to me) but apparently the next one is Mongrol, one of the ABC warriors. Others are to follow. I doubt I'll buy it as they're between £45-£50 which is just too much in my estimation. To be fair, these aren't little star-wars size action figures, nor the he-man sized, but big action man job. (Think G-I Joe size figures Americans!) They're very much fan for fan figures, although kids would no doubt enjoy them...
I'll submit pictures to the relevant thread when they appear though.

To be fair they're limited release figures

turtlex
07-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Awesome write-up/info, thanks!!

The Killing Joke is great writing. I love the storytelling there. Just very cool.

I am actually reading the NOVEL adaption of the 52 comic series. So far, not truly impressed.

WeDealInLead
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
I suggest The Boys by Garth Ennis. He never hid the fact he disliked superheros so he wrote an ongoing monthly about it. Pretty funny stuff w/ a bit of a serious message too.

DoctorDodge
07-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Finally started reading the Scott Pilgrim comics last week, and it's without a doubt gotta be one of the funniest comic series I've read! Just finished volume 2, got volume 3 at the same time yesterday, so I'll be starting that in a minute.

Oh, and the awesomely ridiculous video game style fights fits Edgar Wright's style to a T! Can't wait to see how the film will turn out!

fernandito
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I picked up The Filth over the weekend. It's going to be amazing. Know how I know ? Because Grant Morrison wrote it :D

turtlex
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Just ordered a couple of GNs of The Question.

WeDealInLead
07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Supergod and Captain Swing. Just do it already, OK?

OK.

educatedlady
07-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Is anyone reading Neonomicon? I saw it the other day but didn't pick it up. Should I?

turtlex
07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Is anyone reading Neonomicon? I saw it the other day but didn't pick it up. Should I?

Hmmmm..... It's not my favorite Alan Moore ( see above V for Vendetta is my favorite with Watchmen a close second ) but it's a pretty good read.

WeDealInLead
07-29-2010, 06:46 AM

First issue was good but you should really read The Courtyard which was the prequel/part 1 before you read Neonomicon.

DoctorDodge
08-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Finished reading Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour last night. Perfect mega-awesome finale to a perfect mega-awesome series. The entire second half of the volume is pretty much Scott versus the final ex-boyfriend, and it's absolutely bloody brilliant the whole way through!

I think I'm going to re-read the entire series very soon, but first, I need to catch up on Lost!

razz
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/Crossed.jpg

"The story follows survivors dealing with a plague that causes it victims to carry out their most evil thoughts and wishes. Carriers of the virus are known as the Crossed due to a cross-like rash that appears on their faces. This contagion is primarily spread through bodily fluids, which the Crossed have used to great effect by treating their weapons with their fluids."

Fucking read it. Or Don't. Whatever.

WeDealInLead
08-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I loved Crossed. I bought bought wrap and reg. cover for the entire run and added the HC to round up the collection. It's so graphic and shocking but at the same time, it's not just about that. The issue that was the most emotional for me didn't even have the Crossed in it.

The second arc is good too.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I read the first arc. I liked it but for some reason it just seemed to get bogged down. I think the reason is waiting a month between issues and getting a bit confused (what, me, confused?) about what was happening. I think if I read all the issues together I'd get a lot more out of it. I almost always like Garth Ennis's stuff with only a few exceptions.

razz
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I've yet to read Family Values.

Also in issue 1, lol'd at the salt.

DoctorDodge
08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Since prog 1700 of British comic 2000AD is out in over a week, I've finally decided to stop putting off the long list of progs I need to read, of which I've been doing for nearly a year now, and finally get back up to speed. Which doesn't sound so bad, if 2000AD wasn't a weekly comic! And I'm also subscribed to the monthly Judge Dredd Megazine, of which I've got 11 megs to read, so this is gonna be a bit of trek to get through!

If there's one bright side - and it's a big bright side, I will admit - it's that these comics are so bloody fantastic to read that it's gonna make reading through them all in over a week piss easy! Over the past couple of days I've read 10 issues of 2000AD and 4 of the Megazine, and there's been so many different stories and characters that I can't even begin to describe them all. The only thing I will say is that they've all been so kick-arse that I can't believe I've forgotten how awesome this comic is.

Currently reading: Prog 2010 (annual bumper issue)

Expect this to be updated daily over the next week!

Brainslinger
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I get 2000 AD! It's on pretty good form at the moment. We've just finished the Judge Dredd mega epic: Tour of duty (a couple of weeks back. It will be collected in trades though.) and we're just coming to the end of Wagner and Ezquerra's Strontium Dog tale: 'The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha'... Quite an important story for ongoing SD due to his death over a decade ago. New strips that have come out since then have been set before The Final Solution. This is the first to be set after. (Not including the Strontium Dogs spin-off strips.)

I don't usually get Judge Dredd Megazine but I downloaded Meg 300 from Clickwheel (http://www.clickwheel.net/) as they're during bumper anniversary issues at the moment. It was a fairly good read too.

DoctorDodge
08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Now "The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha" definitely sounds like a great read. I've yet to read Strontium Dog: the Final Solution, but the fact that only now they're doing something focused on the aftermath 2 decades after his death definitely sounds worth reading!

However, that's still a little way off for me, as currently I'm reading prog 1677. Still, with the finale of ABC Warriors: The Volgan War and another Dredd story featuring one of my favourite psychopaths ever, PJ Maybe, not to mention the ever polite Zombo, I've gotta say i'm really enjoying it at the moment. I'm glad to hear it's still currently good, Brainslinger: finally catching up on my backlog of progs and megazines is really making me kick myself for forgetting just how good these comics are! At the speed I'm reading though (having read 6 progs and 1 meg today alone), i should be back up to speed this time next week!

Brainslinger
08-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Zombo! That was some sick funny stuff! PJ Maybe is a great character too.

I'm actually quite a recent reader of 2000 AD only starting around 2 (actually it might be 3 now) years ago. Most readers seem to start as kids and grow up with the comic. I pretty much missed it entirely as a kid.

Good news for American readers now too as they're setting up an American distribution. (I.e. not the more expensive unreliable Diamond imports.) From what I've read the earlier comics are going to be reprints. They've already started the American Graphic Novel range.

DoctorDodge
08-22-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm actually quite a recent reader of 2000 AD only starting around 2 (actually it might be 3 now) years ago. Most readers seem to start as kids and grow up with the comic. I pretty much missed it entirely as a kid.

I'm pretty much exactly the same, Brainslinger. Only started reading it on a regular basis nearly 4 years ago now. I'd read a few Judge Dredd graphic novels from my local library, but nothing else 2000AD related. Had no idea what I was missing until I heard they were doing a story called "Origins" for the 30th anniversary: that's what made me subscribe to both the comic and the megazine without hesitation, as I didn't want to miss a single issue! So glad to hear the new Dredd movie is actually going ahead, and no longer stuck in development hell!

Although that has reminded me of two other characters I'd love to see on film: Strontium Dog, as that would look awesome as a scifi western like the comics were, and Nikolai Dante, as he's the biggest breath of fresh air I've read in comics! So nice to think that with all the angsty anti-heros that seem to be popular in comics these days, there's still the swashbuckling, womanising, arse kicking rogue Nikolai Dante to balance it all out!

fernandito
08-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Dodge - are you a fan of any of Grant Morrison's series ?

DoctorDodge
08-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Can't say I've read much of his work at all, feev. I collected a couple of the Final Crisis comics he wrote for DC, but there was so much going on that went over my head that I kinda lost interest. Ironically, I haven't even read any of his early stuff from the 80s and early 90s, which included short strips for both 2000AD and Doctor Who Magazine.

Any recommendations? Bear in mind that the only comic I get at all on a regular basis would be 2000AD, so I'm really interested in anything that's not quite so continuity heavy as Final Crisis.

fernandito
08-22-2010, 10:54 AM
I would strongly recommend The Invisibles series, it's his magnum opus. Beware though , they deal with psychedelic drugs, mind control through psycho kinetics, and reality altering machinery, and you will definitely get lost more than once. Just think of it as The Matrix on acid :lol:

Let me know if you can't find them there, I'll help get them to you somehow ... someway. Every self respecting comic lover should have the opportunity to experience the awesomeness that is The Invisibles.

DoctorDodge
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I would strongly recommend The Invisibles series, it's his magnum opus. Beware though , they deal with psychedelic drugs, mind control through psycho kinetics, and reality altering machinery, and you will definitely get lost more than once. Just think of it as The Matrix on acid :lol:

I'm liking it already, feev! :lol:

Let me know if you can't find them there, I'll help get them to you somehow ... someway. Every self respecting comic lover should have the opportunity to experience the awesomeness that is The Invisibles.

Nah, I should be able to find it easily, if it's as good as you say. US comics are piss easy to find in the UK, it's only trying to find UK comics in the US that's impossible to do! :lol:

fernandito
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Good man :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Feev, while I've been away it seems that you have taken up preaching the gospel of Grant Morrison. I am glad of this.

And have you finished the Filth yet? Because it might be my favorite comic ever and I'm interested to know what you think.

fernandito
08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Seymour ! Glad to see you back man, I was wondering where you ran off to.

And yes, I've become Grant Morrison-heavy these past few months. Actually, I just started the Filth a few days ago. I'm about 50 pages in as of now. Loving it so far :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Grant Morrison makes me glad to be alive. Do you know that someone is making a documentary about him.

Brainslinger
08-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I recently read The Ballad of Halo Jones book 1 by Alan Moore. I've read it before but it was still highly enjoyable. (It's actually one of 3 in one GN collection.)

I grabbed some books form the library today and I'm currently reading The Eternals by Neil Guiman and John Romita Jr. I've heard the name, but I'm not really that well acquainted with this group of superheroes. Or gods. Or guardians... whatever they are.

The book is very interesting so far though, although I haven't read very much.

I read the latest 2000 AD today as well. 3 of the strips reached their conclusion this week and it was good. Strontium Dog: The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, which I mentioned above, ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, but there's more to come. I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter but that one will be a while.

turtlex
08-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Grant Morrison makes me glad to be alive. Do you know that someone is making a documentary about him.

Um, no ... I did not know that! Thanks for the info ... and because I can google with the best of them ( that's what she said ) ...

Grant Morrison Movie (http://grantmorrisonmovie.com/)

YouTube- Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods Trailer 2
YouTube- Grant Morrison Documentary Trailer (demo)

Darkthoughts
08-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Awesome!! He's one of my hero's!!

Currently reading the new Locke and Key omnibus...well, I'm actually waiting for the kids to go to grandma's so I can read it all, undisturbed :cool:

Seymour_Glass
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Those trailers are awesome.

Also, i saw Scott Pilgrim and loved it, and almost immediately my friend let me borrow the first volume of the comic. I read, was good.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 02:57 AM
Wow, more Scott Pilgrim love. I'm definitely going to grab the GN when I head to the comic book store next.

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Also, see the movie. And buy the soundtrack. Ahhh, it's soo good.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Yep, finished the final volume a couple of weeks ago, and it really was amazing! Seymour, you have to read the other volumes - although the first 3 were translated very faithfully, the film deviated quite significantly from the last 3 (not that I'm complaining - as I said in my review for the film, what works on the page does not work so well on film), and the final fight is incredibly awesome: it takes up half of the final volume, something that really couldn't be done in the film without becoming boring rather quickly!

And pam, you have to see the film! One of the best comic adaptations I've ever seen!

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I intend to.

aliensatemybrain
09-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm re-reading The Death of Jean Dewolff story arc from a Spider man GN. That and the later arc involving original Sin Eater are amongst some of the best stories i've read. After that probably finish a Daredevil GN thats been gathering dust on my bookshelf for some time. Generally just trying to keep myself busy until my Absolute Sandman v1 arrives (supposed to arrrive Friday :arg:). Only read the first issue of Sandman and I hope its going to be as good as i've been hearing about :).

Some comics named on this thread i've not heard of before, most notably Preacher, Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead, have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up :).

WeDealInLead
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been going through the piles of comics I've been neglecting and this is what I've finished/am still reading since Friday:

Desperados - Omnibus. Supernatural western stuff, pretty cool.
Absolute Sandman vol. 2. 1/2 through
Supreme - Alan Moore
Criminal Macabre - My Demon Baby
Locke & Key vol. 3 - Joe Hill. Cool stuff. Art has improved 10x, I wasn't sold on it in the first trade but I really like it now. I'll have to do a comic to comic comparison.
The Boys vol. 6, Herogasm. - Garth Ennis. Holy bestiality Batman. Amazing.

I'll finish Sandman by the end of the week and Supreme today if it's a slow day at work, after that it's From Hell.

WeDealInLead
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm re-reading The Death of Jean Dewolff story arc from a Spider man GN. That and the later arc involving original Sin Eater are amongst some of the best stories i've read. After that probably finish a Daredevil GN thats been gathering dust on my bookshelf for some time. Generally just trying to keep myself busy until my Absolute Sandman v1 arrives (supposed to arrrive Friday :arg:). Only read the first issue of Sandman and I hope its going to be as good as i've been hearing about :).

Some comics named on this thread i've not heard of before, most notably Preacher, Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead, have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up :).

Read them in that exact order too. Preacher will kick your ass. I have a complete set of trades I'm thinking of selling and replacing them with hardcovers as they come out.

Seriously though, Preacher is up there tied with Transmet. Both are a must-read and in my humble opinion, have achieved cult status.

Brainslinger
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I read Asylum today by Rob Williams and Boo Cook.

It's a collection originally published piecemeal in 2000 AD. (British comics tend to be anthologies.) It's split into two books, and although the artwork is all by Cook, the styles of each story are very different. The second is softer/more subdued. I think I prefer the more vibrant art of the first book though.

The first books is about a human/alien hybrid hunter who's job it is to hunt down alien escapees from the orbiting alien asylum centre. He finds out some rather nasty secrets and has to question his allegiance. Without spoiling the ending of the first book, the second book essentially continues the characters' experience on earth.

It's an interesting story but very dark and ultimately rather bleak..

I quite enjoyed the first book, although I thought it got a bit too disturbing at times (and I have quite a hight tolerance for this stuff). There was something off about the storytelling in the second book though and although it did get interesting I really didn't like the ending.

There are some terrific alien designs though!

turtlex
09-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Just got the Dark Phoenix Saga in hardcover, so am going to re-read.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/MRV10925.jpg

aliensatemybrain
09-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Read them in that exact order too. Preacher will kick your ass. I have a complete set of trades I'm thinking of selling and replacing them with hardcovers as they come out.

Seriously though, Preacher is up there tied with Transmet. Both are a must-read and in my humble opinion, have achieved cult status.

Bought Preacher: Gone to Texas yesterday. Shockingly brutal! I love it! Some of the dialogue is exceptional, had me laughing like a maniac several times :rofl:. Looking forward to getting the next few volumes on my next trip into town at the weekend.

also got-

Batman - Arkham Asylum.

V for Vendetta.

The Dark Tower - The Long Road Home.

turtlex
09-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Sweet list of books to read! Some nice stories there.

Welcome to the site!

Darkthoughts
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Just finished Locke and Key: Crown Of Shadows...what can I say...it just gets better!

DoctorDodge
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Just got the Dark Phoenix Saga in hardcover, so am going to re-read.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/MRV10925.jpg

That looks awesome, Pam. Also, I kinda love the whole "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?" vibe that Cyclops is giving off on the cover! You don't get enough "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?" moments, these days. :(

turtlex
09-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Cyclops has embraced the "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?" at that point! For reals!!!

:lol:

fernandito
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I really, really want to read this :

http://www.planetacomic.net/imagenes/comics/SpidermanBlue01g.jpg

It's by the same team that brought us The Long Halloween, so you know it's nothing but epic win.

DoctorDodge
09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Ditto, feev. I loved The Long Halloween. Imo a bigger influence on the Dark Knight than The Killing Joke, with its depiction of Harvey Dent, not to mention the last five words of the story. Been a long time since I read it, but both the opening lines and the last words stick out.

Currently reading: The Sandman - Endless Nights.

fernandito
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Did you read the companion novels - Dark Victory and Haunted Knight ?

And is this your first time reading through The Sandman !? That's my absolute all time favorite graphic novel. I want to get a tattoo of Morpheus sometime soon.

DoctorDodge
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
First time reading it, feev! Been great so far, but I really do need to check out his other stuff. Are you a fan of Neil Gaiman in general? Because I'm sure you've heard he's written an episode for...well, I'll let you guess that one, but it's the reason I'm only now checking out his stuff (and Coraline, of course, that was an amazing film)!

And I've yet to read Dark Victory and Haunted Knight. Most graphic novels I get from my local library, especially now money's tighter than ever, so I just pick up what's there. Are they as good as Long Halloween then, feev?

pixiedark76
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I am reading American Vampire #6. I still think that it is awesome even though Stephen King is not a writer in this issue.

alkanto
09-10-2010, 04:52 AM
I finally was able to secure a copy of Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life....so worth the three week wait! It was pretty perfect. Now I understand how the movie was so amazing, with such strong material to draw from.

The part I was most impressed with (particularly on Edgar Wright's part) is that there are frames in the comic that are translated directly on to the screen for the film. Angle, character poses, background, dialog....everything! That really made it rock, for me :D

DoctorDodge
09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I like that, whilst Edgar Wright hasn't adapted it completely frame-for-frame from the comic version, especially with the final 3 volumes, there are great moments in the early volumes that he has translated perfectly for the cinema.

I think the moment at the Rockit with the characters all looking at each other with zoom outs is a perfect example!

alkanto
09-10-2010, 05:05 AM
That was a great scene!

I'm well aware that the direct translation from book to movie won't continue throughout, the mere fact it is present at all is what impressed me. So many adaptations of any books, comic or literature, the directors have blatant disregard for the framing of pictures/original source material(*cough*ERAGON*cough*) that it took me so off-guard to see him sticking so closely, if only for the beginning.

I'm aware of the changes later on...I'm particularly excited to get more info on Stephen Stills' background/storyline. He's my favorite! :P

DoctorDodge
09-10-2010, 05:14 AM
I'm well aware that the direct translation from book to movie won't continue throughout, the mere fact it is present at all is what impressed me. So many adaptations of any books, comic or literature, the directors have blatant disregard for the framing of pictures/original source material(*cough*ERAGON*cough*) that it took me so off-guard to see him sticking so closely, if only for the beginning.

Oh, I know! One thing that has forever put me off watching The Dark is Rising movie is that I've heard plenty of reviews that say they've taken some horrendous liberties with the source material! Now I've never read the book, but I do have some very fond memories of listening to the radio play when I was about 8 years, and I do not want those memories ruined!

alkanto
09-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Well I am glad I held off on those movies, then...
those books are amazing! I did not know there was a radio play based on them, though. Was is a theatrical reading of the books, or a close adaptation?
Either way, you should read them! They are quite good.

DoctorDodge
09-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Fuck, it was such a long time ago, and I'm not even sure of how close an adaptation it was, but I remember it being serialised, which was what grabbed my attention, all the cliffhangers over the...well, i'm guessing 6 weeks, although it might have only been 3, time really drags out when you're a kid, and it was a full cast adaptation. I'm guessing it was reasonably close to the original novel, radio adaptations usually are! It certainly didn't have the main character changed from British to American to better suit audiences, that's for sure!

And i will check out the books, as soon as my massive reading pile has gone down anyway!

WeDealInLead
09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I finished Moore's Supreme (pretty eh) and Absolute Sandman 2. I was blown away by it. Now I need to track down the 3rd volume.

Is anyone on here reading Unwritten? I think it's one of the more original recent comics. I haven't read the lastest issue but it's on top of the file. I browsed through it and basically, once you finish a page you have two options which page to read next. If you don't like how the story ends you can go back and go the other way. Choices are cool and plenty.

fernandito
09-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I read the first volume of Unwritten, and I loved it. Will probably order the second volume sometime soon.

Emily
09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
:clap: I love Unwritten, I'm glad to see the love here!

WeDealInLead
09-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah, it's a great series. I hope it keeps going. One of these days I'll have to sit down and read them all from start to whatever number they're at now. I get monthly issues and by the time a new issue comes out, I forget something important from the previous one.

I'm sad Brian Wood's DEMO ended. I'm devastated Unknown Soldier is coming to an end. Air is done soon too. That was an interesting comic. American Vampire is still going strong, SK or no SK. TDT sucks big time, I forgot to take it off my pull list and ended up getting all of them, last issue of this arc comes out tomorrow. I hope my faith will be renewed with Little Sisters... Greek Street I find similar in style to Unwritten. A bit spacey, I mean. I can't wait for new arc of Ennis' Battlefields. I hope they re-issue all of them in one amazing hardcover. Mr. Ellis is still the king of the game, look no further then Supergod (3rd part to the 'superhero' trilogy of Black Summer and No Hero) and Captain Swing (he referenced Doktor Sleepless and Gravel in the last issue, holy shit!) and even Wolfskin. Daytripper ended, a few cool stories out of 10, no big loss, bye bye. Fevre Dream is great, I'm buying the painted wrap covers.. amazing artwork.

OK. So I'm a geek. I LOVE comics though.

PS Warren Ellis' run on anything major (Batman, JLA, Fantastic 4..) is always great. Sciency and fun.

ErinPatricia
09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Blankets by Craig Thompson.

Fabulous, I loved it so much and wanted more when it ended :)

I have volume one of Astro City in my room somewhere...Thats the next comic on the list.

WeDealInLead
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Fucking. Alan. Moore.

I just read #2 of Nenomicon and my stomach is disturbed. No comic has ever made me as uncomfortable as this. The last two pages are a mindfuck.

I can't believe what I just read. I'd say I'm sorry for profanities in this post but that's the only way I can describe this... disturbing and FUCKED UP.

WeDealInLead
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I made my wife read the last 4 pages and her face turned white.

On a much brighter note, American Vampire is still great. Very story heavy, not much wasted space, one liners and big panels. You get your money's worth for sure.

Irredeemable is kinda eh. I'd drop it from my list if I wasn't buying all the issues but I was and now I need to find out what happens.

Unknown Soldier was as great as ever.

Lady Death... ooh la la... it was a free comic so I picked it up.

I'm saving the last issue of Greek Street for tomorrow.

turtlex
10-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Fucking. Alan. Moore.

I just read #2 of Nenomicon and my stomach is disturbed. No comic has ever made me as uncomfortable as this. The last two pages are a mindfuck.

I can't believe what I just read. I'd say I'm sorry for profanities in this post but that's the only way I can describe this... disturbing and FUCKED UP.

I made my wife read the last 4 pages and her face turned white.

On a much brighter note, American Vampire is still great. Very story heavy, not much wasted space, one liners and big panels. You get your money's worth for sure.

Irredeemable is kinda eh. I'd drop it from my list if I wasn't buying all the issues but I was and now I need to find out what happens.

Unknown Soldier was as great as ever.

Lady Death... ooh la la... it was a free comic so I picked it up.

I'm saving the last issue of Greek Street for tomorrow.

LOL!! You were so disturbed, you had your wife read it?!?!? Dude!!!

WeDealInLead
10-07-2010, 06:06 AM
She saw me sitting there just staring at the wall after I read it. She asked me what's wrong and I told her to read the comic and see for herself. Kinda cruel but the expression on her face was worth it.

Emily
10-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I just read Revolver by Matt Kindt. Has anyone else read this? My brother dropped it off this morning and I ended up reading it within an hour, I couldn't put it down. It was surprisingly awesome, I really recommend picking it up.

DoctorDodge
10-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Currently reading: Doctor Who - The Only Good Dalek.

As a fan of everything Doctor Who, especially 60s dalek stories, I'm really liking this so far. Will probably write a mostly spoiler free in either the recommended graphic novels thread or the Doctor Who thread, as this will unsurprisingly appeal more to people who've watched the show before, even if it's just the new series, rather than newcomers. All i can say now though is lots of multi-coloured daleks + epic battles + hardback = a mustbuy for any fan!

fernandito
10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I just read Revolver by Matt Kindt. Has anyone else read this? My brother dropped it off this morning and I ended up reading it within an hour, I couldn't put it down. It was surprisingly awesome, I really recommend picking it up.

I've heard of it, but I've never read it ... I'll look out for it next time I stop by my shop.

DoctorDodge
10-15-2010, 01:29 PM
The Sandman: Volume 1. Finally got it out of the library! Fantastic!

Emily
10-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Finally! :clap: Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

DoctorDodge
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I can't wait to hear what you think of my favourite show! :P

Seriously, i'll get through the first volume over the weekend hopefully, and then I'll let you know what i think of it when i'm finished. It looks like my kind of thing, at least!

fernandito
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Excellent. The Sandman is my favorite graphic novel series of all time. Let us know what you think of it , DD.

DoctorDodge
10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, you all know the reason I'm wanting to check out all of Gaiman's stuff now of course, right? I loved Anansi Boys and Coraline, and I've heard nothing but great things about Sandman, so it should be an ideal read for me.

Yaksha
11-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Justice Society of America: Thy Kingdom Come

Heather19
11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Just picked up Book 2 of The Walking Dead :D

Doe
11-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Im reading Preacher #2. loving it so far. and the Saint of Kilers is blatantly Eldred Jonas :P

Sam
11-28-2010, 09:03 AM
The Saint of Killers is SO MUCH more than Jonas ever thought of being. I love, love, love the Preacher series.

WeDealInLead
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I sold my Preacher trades and have first two hardcovers in my Amazon shopping cart. I'm waiting for Ellis's newest Gravel to come out in hardcover and that's when I'm placing an order. I'll also sell Y: The Last Man trades and get the hardcovers as they come out.

I bought that oversized IDW The First Decade book today for $15 (fifteen). One corner of the traycase needs to be glued or taped into place but other than that, the whole package is in great shape.

Brainslinger
11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I recently bought and read Strontium Dog: Search/Destroy Files Volume 2. It's a collection of some of the earlier 2000 AD Strontium dog adventures in a kind of phone-book form. I'd have bought volume 1 if it was available, but this was okay. It actually goes back into the main character's history in Portrait of a Mutant, so in a sense some of it is set before the first volume.

Overall I liked it a lot. It's basically late seventies or early eighties fare, so the style of storytelling is rather different to that of modern comics, and comes across a tad cheesy at times. The stories are good though. The afore mentioned Portrait of a Mutant is probably one of the more important stories going as it is into Johnny Alpha's childhood and his role in the mutant uprising, and it's a decent read.

I think I actually preferred another story, The Killing though. It's basically about a gladiatorial style event hosted on a planet where a whole bunch of hard-cases have to fight it out, the winner (i.e. the survivor) winning a huge prise. Bounty Hunters Alpha and Wulf (his partner. Not that kind of partner, although there have been rumours) take part using the event as an opportunity to collect a few bounties...

Anyway, it's a great sci-fi with a spaghetti western flavour. Sort of like a mixture of X-Men and Firefly/Serenity with The Man with no Name* thrown in. Oh, and cool weapons including time bombs and a variable cartridge blaster. (I'm still a big kid at heart.)

As for current reading, I'm continuing with the usual anthologies I buy 2000 AD (weekly), Judge Dredd Megazine (Monthly) and CLiNT (Monthly). Not a bad read all round. 2000 AD is my favourite, although CLiNT is good value for money. Enjoying Kick-Ass 2, Turf (Vampires vs Aliens and gangsters) and Nemesis (Batman gone bad. Wearing white) in that one. I'm not sure about American Jesus. It's an interesting read so far, but I'm worried it might turn out a bit blasphemous. (Jesus shouldn't watch porn or smoke pot!)

Oh, I've also pre-ordered Sheemie's Tale, but I've had a couple of messages from the seller informing me the publishers are delaying, erm, publishing!

*I know that's a character not the name of a film or series. I'm sure you know what I mean though.

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Strontium Dog's awesome, Brainslinger. I've read the 3rd volume of the Search/Destroy Files, and I also read Portrait of a Mutant, but I need to get the other comics, too. Cheesy, but great. Also, Johnny Alpha's the kind of comic character I can dress up as and look like an exact double of easily, if I grew my hair back to its curly length and got white contact lenses, at least! :lol:

fernandito
11-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

This thread reminded me that I need to get Invisibles Vol. 5 and Preacher Vol. 3. Hurm.

Emily
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

This thread reminded me that I need to get Invisibles Vol. 5 and Preacher Vol. 3. Hurm.

And Revolver... :D

fernandito
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
:lol:

Yup, that too !

WeDealInLead
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I picked up first two issues of Superior. Cool idea. A kid with MS gets one magic wish.

Doorways was alright too. Only one issue so far. I'll buy the next one and then decide whether to keep going or stop.

Brainslinger
11-30-2010, 05:07 AM
The Sandman: Volume 1. Finally got it out of the library! Fantastic!

I ordered this as a Christmas present for a friend. I went for the repainted version. (Preludes and Nocturnes. Not the big Hardback collection, that one's out of my price range, gorgeous though I'm sure it is.) I'm not sure how different it is as the artwork shown on Amazon is that of the older version.

I don't know if she'll like it. It might be a bit strange for her, but I know she was interested in the Sandman books so I thought I'd go for the first. It's a different kind of present than I usually get her. (Usually a DVD.)

I wouldn't mind a copy myself actually! Heh. I have read it (and others in the series) before. I borrowed them from the library like you.

ErinPatricia
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
finished Superman: Earth One by J.M. Straczynski last night. I really liked it as a re-telling of Superman's origin and Clark's struggle with what he wants to be and what he needs to be

fernandito
11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
EP - have you read Superman : Red Son ? I'm not really an avid Supes fan, but that book was spectacular.

OchrisO
11-30-2010, 06:19 PM
finished Superman: Earth One by J.M. Straczynski last night. I really liked it as a re-telling of Superman's origin and Clark's struggle with what he wants to be and what he needs to be

I love J Michael Straczynski . Have you read Rising Stars? It is really awesome. Midnight Nations is pretty amazing as well. One of my favorite quotes is from one of the 'bad guys' in it:

Creation is built upon the promise of hope, that things will get better, that tomorrow will be better than the day before.

But it's not true. Cities collapse. Populations expand. Environments decay. People get ruder. You can't go to a movie without getting in a fight with the guy in the third row who won't shut up.

Filthy streets. Drive-by shootings. Irradiated corn. Permissible amounts of rat-droppings per hot dog. Bomb blasts, and body counts. Terror in the streets, on camera, in your living room. Aids and Ebola and Hepatitis B and you can't touch anyone because you're afraid you'll catch something besides love and nothing tastes as good anymore and Christopher Reeve is in a wheelchair and love is statistically false.
Pocket nukes and subway anthrax. You grow up frustrated, you live confused, you age frightened, you die alone. Safe terrain moves from your city to your block to your yard to your home to your living room to the bedroom and all you want is to be allowed to live without somebody breaking in to steal your tv and shove an ice-pick in your ear.

That sound like a better world to you? That sound to you like a promise kept?

ErinPatricia
11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I liked Red Son, then end kind of miffed me, but it could have been worse lol

I have heard great things about Rising Stars, I think that needs to be picked up soon.

Reading Chew vol 3. next. I adore this book. Love love love Chew!

WeDealInLead
12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, Supergod ended. Fun read. Nothing amazing but money well spent. It was basically about our need for gods. Then Gods end up turning on us. Cool artwork.

Lady Death... uhhh... gives Vampirella a run for her money. It was interesting enough but I don't think I'll keep buying the series.

The Night of The Living Dead -x-mas special was fun. Boobs, sex and zombies. Mindless, funny, entertaining. Exactly what you'd expect.

Irredeemable #20 - still going strong but tempo seems to have slowed down a bit. I felt the same way about Y:The Last Man halfway through. Hopefully it gets more interesting soon.

I'll be starting Swamp Thing vol. 3 soon. I have that, Absolute Sandman vol. 3 and Absolute Planetary 1 still in shrinkwrap.

Yaksha
12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Just did the entire run of Y the Last Man, for old time sakes. Love it. Also read Brightest Day and I am really enjoying what they are doing with everyone in that. Now starting some Invincible

WeDealInLead
12-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Crossed 3D comes out tomorrow. I'm excited. I've never read a 3D comic before.

OchrisO
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Just did the entire run of Y the Last Man, for old time sakes. Love it. Also read Brightest Day and I am really enjoying what they are doing with everyone in that. Now starting some Invincible

Invincible is the best superhero comic going right now. I love it.

turtlex
12-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Batwoman issue 0 !! It was great. Can't wait for the new series to start.

Yaksha
12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Incorruptible. I like how it is a parallel story to Irredeemable

WeDealInLead
12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
The story is good but that artwork... yeesh. Too cartoony.

OchrisO
12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm reading Scalped by Jason Aaron. I had read the first 5 or so issues in the past. I am re-reading them not before reading the rest of the series. It is really good. R. M. Guéra's art gives a very dark and gritty feel to the series.

"The series is set on the fictional Prairie Rose Indian Reservation in modern-day South Dakota; the story is concerned with organized crime as well as the culture and living conditions of the Oglala Lakota living on the reservation."
"The plot of the comic is partly inspired by Leonard Peltier, a Native American activist who was arrested for the murder of two FBI agents in a reservation shootout in 1975."

fernandito
12-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Just ordered Fables Vol. 14 from Amazon, so hoping to receive that sometime within the next week.

Yaksha
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Fables kicks so much ass

fernandito
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, yes it does.

OchrisO
12-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I am now 27 issues into Scalped and I can't recommend it enough. Everyone should pick it up. I know they have collected editions up through issue #34 out now.

haunted.lunchbox
12-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I've been contemplating a reread of my two favorite comic series. X-Men Age of Apocalypse, and Mutant X. I have all the issues, and they are tempting me.

fernandito
12-16-2010, 08:45 AM
I am now 27 issues into Scalped and I can't recommend it enough. Everyone should pick it up. I know they have collected editions up through issue #34 out now.

Vertigo, right ? The clerk at my shop is always recommending it to me, but I've yet to start it. I think I'll make Vol. 1 a x-mas gift to myself this year. :D

OchrisO
12-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Vertigo, right ? The clerk at my shop is always recommending it to me, but I've yet to start it. I think I'll make Vol. 1 a x-mas gift to myself this year. :D

Yep. It is a Vertigo title. I don't think you will be disappointed. I finished up the newest issue last night and eagerly await more.

killboi
12-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Fables kicks so much ass

and it also outlives its welcome

fernandito
12-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Fables kicks so much ass

and it also outlives its welcome

Ehhh, yes and no. I would have loved if the

Downfall of Gettepo's empire
was the end of the series, but the issues that are being released now are still of extremely high caliber, writing and illustration wise. As long as it's able to remain consistent in it's quality, I have no problem with Fables continuing it's already impressive run.

OchrisO
12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I used to read Fables as soon as the issues hit the shelves. Since the bit feev mentioned in his spoiler above, I have had a hard time keeping focused on it. I am pretty far behind now. I need to catch up sometime.

Emily
12-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I've been on the verge of reading Fables like 6 times in the past few years, but always get sidetracked or busy or start reading something else. I really, really need to read them.

OchrisO
12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
You definitely should.

Read Scalped first. :P

Erin
12-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I got a few comics and graphic novels for my birthday today that i'm excited to start on. I got American Vampire, Walking Dead Books 5 and 6, and Pride of Baghdad, among others.

OchrisO
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I have always meant to read Pride of Baghdad, because Brian K. Vaughn wrote it and he writes some of my favorite comics like Ex Machina and Y: The Last Man. I have never gotten around to it, though.

Right now I am reading Brightest Day, something else I meant to read before now.

Erin
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Reading about what it was based on really intrigued me...and made me super sad. I'm sure it's going to tear me up.

Yaksha
12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
got some new graphic novels today and am starting on Hack/Slash omnibus vol 1. Love it so far

OchrisO
12-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I like Hack/Slash quite a bit, but I can only take it in relatively small doses for some reason. I can only read a few issues before having to take a break and read something else. I am not even sure why.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Scalped indeed is good stuff. Not just good, it's great. Ex Machina just ended, I need to pick up the final trade. I normally get trades as they come out but Boxing Week sale is 30% off so I decided to wait.

A local comic shop has a big sale of back issue. 4 for $1. It's not even junk. I picked up Vampirella (yes, because of the outfit), Dead Again, some Sandman and whatnot. Nothing too great but I spent 3 hours going through boxes of comics and that was casually flipping through boxes. It was glorious.

Tito_Villa
12-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Looking forward to reading the first volume of The Walking Dead tonight :D

fernandito
12-22-2010, 08:57 AM
You're going to love it d00d. TWC is extremely addicting and perennially consistent in quality throughout it's run.

Yaksha
12-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Just read Fables vol 1-14. Dear lord I love this series

fernandito
12-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Did you read them all in one go ?

Yaksha
12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
yep. all in one go. just got vol 14 and remembered i have not read the whole series in forever so i did

fernandito
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Picked up a couple GNs last night :

Scalped Vol. 1
The Invisibles Vol. 6 - Kissing Mister Quimper

OchrisO
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Awesome. Report back here on what you think of Scalped.

WeDealInLead
12-30-2010, 05:48 AM
I picked up the last Ex Machina trade. I can't wait to read it but at the same time, I don't really want to because it's the last one.

kluker
01-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Reading the Supernatural Comics at the moment.

OchrisO
01-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I picked up the last Ex Machina trade. I can't wait to read it but at the same time, I don't really want to because it's the last one.

I just recently finished up Ex Machina. I was really enjoying how the series was winding up, but I thought that the final issue was kind of crap.

Yaksha
01-05-2011, 02:10 AM
just started Hellboy graphic novels. Really liking them so far

Brainslinger
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM

I just recently finished up Ex Machina. I was really enjoying how the series was winding up, but I thought that the final issue was kind of crap.

I just read the first issue of this! Downloaded it from Playstation comic store. I recently got a PSP and I wanted to try out the Comic Reader app. The first episode of Ex Machina (and indeed a whole lot of other comics) was available for free!

Not bad at all. (The style of reading with the comic reader software takes a bit of getting used to, but it works well with the medium.) The main character isn't entirely likeable but I suspect that's the point. A cool power idea. There was a sitcom in the UK a couple of years back about superheroes*, and there was a female superhero (superheroine?) with that power. So that's where they got that from...)

*I've forgotten the name. I quite liked it, but it didn't get beyond the first series.

OchrisO
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM

I just read the first issue of this! Downloaded it from Playstation comic store. I recently got a PSP and I wanted to try out the Comic Reader app. The first episode of Ex Machina (and indeed a whole lot of other comics) was available for free!

Not bad at all. (The style of reading with the comic reader software takes a bit of getting used to, but it works well with the medium.) The main character isn't entirely likeable but I suspect that's the point. A cool power idea. There was a sitcom in the UK a couple of years back about superheroes*, and there was a female superhero (superheroine?) with that power. So that's where they got that from...)

*I've forgotten the name. I quite liked it, but it didn't get beyond the first series.

It is well worth reading the rest, because it is an amazing series, even if the last issue kind of sucked. haha. I kind of wonder what people who aren't from the United States think of the series as a whole, because the story is pretty heavily influenced the 9/11 attacks and the politics of New York City. I wonder how well it carries outside of that domain.

I'd like to find out what that sitcom was. If it is anywhere near as good as Misfits, I'd probably love it.

Brainslinger
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
It is well worth reading the rest, because it is an amazing series, even if the last issue kind of sucked. haha. I kind of wonder what people who aren't from the United States think of the series as a whole, because the story is pretty heavily influenced the 9/11 attacks and the politics of New York City.

Ooh, yes! I thought that was pretty brave when I saw that last image in that issue...

I'd like to find out what that sitcom was. If it is anywhere near as good as Misfits, I'd probably love it.

I'd forgotten the name when I wrote that post, but one Google later, " No Heroics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Heroics)".

It isn't much like Misfits. Misfits is more a drama with a large dose of comedy and they're not really heroes. Yet, anyway. No Heroics is a sitcom, mostly set in one place. The heroes of the latter are the proper costumed kind... although their morality is rather dodgy. Most of the scenes of No Heroics were in a pub when the super heroes were off duty. In that sense it was quite a traditional sitcom although they didn't have the laugh track.

I guess there are similarities as both shows feature rather messed up individuals and dark humour but there is a difference in tone. Also No Heroics didn't get beyond the first series while Misfits is expecting a third series! I think No Heroics was disliked by a lot of people (those who even watched it) but I had a soft spot for it. And I had a bit of crush on that potty mouthed minx Electroclash (http://sharetv.org/shows/no_heroics_uk/cast/electroclash). (The one with the voice power.)

fernandito
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Chris - I'm about halfway through Scalped Vol. 1. Pretty damn good so far.

OchrisO
01-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey Chris - I'm about halfway through Scalped Vol. 1. Pretty damn good so far.

:clap:

Dashiell Bad Horse is an intense motherfucker, isn't he? haha.

fernandito
01-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I finished it last night ! And yes, yes he is ! And the ending to the first vol was fkn brutal

The mom gets Scalped ? *head explodes*

I'm stopping by my shop next week so hopefully I'll have Vol 2 soon.

WeDealInLead
01-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Steve Niles' Edge of Doom is cool. Same concept as Brian Wood's Demo. Each issue is a stand-alone story so anyone can jump in at whichever issue they choose. 3 out so far. First two were great, third one is still good but too 'out there' for me. They're all dark and weird so if that's your thing I highly suggest it.

Lady Death is something that just started coming out (again) and yes, she's hot but the story is pretty good too. Dark Fantasy I'd say.

Irredeemable is still kicking ass and American Vampire is getting better with each issue. Story is getting deeper and I'm curious to see how it'll end.

My wife likes Sweet Tooth. I thought it was eh at the beginning, too artsy fartsy and then things got F'd up really fast. I don't get single issue but the first two trades are top notch.

Neonomicon is BRILLIANT and it's still making me feel very uneasy. Someone with a deeper knowledge of the Ctulhu mythos translated some of the language from the comic. There is a lot more going on than what's on the surface. It's almost like he's rewarding the reader for digging deeper.

Ex Machina ending was fitting. It's not as good as Preacher, Transmet, The Boys, Y, Scalped or any other 'recent' longer going comics but it's a solid read. The character not being likeable is their thing. It was just some random guy who was given his powers.

SK related... The Stand is IMHO the best comic adaptation of any of his works. The Talisman was great but too short-lived, TDT lost me with the last few arcs (although Little Sisters seems promising minus Roland's constant monologues) and AV isn't even King anymore.

I still like Star Wars comics, the last Legacy trade was really good. I just wish they'd drop the foul language. It's not there all the time but seeing Luke's grandson say moron was a bummer.

WeDealInLead
01-08-2011, 10:41 AM
keep reading scalped... it gets better as you go.

DoctorDodge
01-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Currently reading Judge Dredd Complete Case Files 14. Haven't got volumes 11-13 yet (or read fully volumes 7, 9 and 10) but saw 14 in a shop, and bought it because it's ridiculously tricky to find after only a year in print. Why i'm reading it? Necropolis, one of the key stories that made me a huge fan of Dredd in the first place (the other being of course America: to people who've never read it, go out and buy it now if you can! One of the greatest stories in graphic literature, period). Full of continuity references that still make me want to read it more in context, but it's also full of horror, death on a massive scale, huge character development (especially for Dredd, a rare example of it, actually) and just all-round epicness. Reading it again, it's even better than I remembered!

Patrick
01-08-2011, 11:08 PM
The Cape, by Joe Hill (unrelated to that new tv series by the same name).

Yaksha
01-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Finished Hellboy working on The Boys. Garth Ennis is a damn genius

DoctorDodge
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
2000AD - Prog 1717. Yes, after months of just letting my pile of "need to read weekly progs" build up, i've finally read about 25 progs in 2 weeks and I'm not only up to speed, I'm ahead of everyone else, for once: due to having a subscription instead of just getting it from the shop, got it today in the post, as i usually get the progs, 4 days early, only this time i'm reading it soon as i get it!

So how is the current issue so far? Well, there's another short, complete story in Judge Dredd this week, and it's a nice read, but it is making me really regret that I didn't read the year long Tour of Duty arc at the time, as that had a ton of ongoing development, both with the characters and with the politics of Mega-City One itself, but the short, one off reads are still good to read, for a while longer, at least.

Shakara's still fun with the space opera meets vengeance story mix that's great to read about, and I like the cthulu/amateur detective infleunced story of Ampney Crucis, even if the art style isn't exactly my favourite in the comic. Now reading Necrophim. I really like the black and white artwork here, and whilst I think it's taken a couple of years for the story to go anywhere, at last it finally seems to be building to a war in Hell, which is always fun to read about.

Also got the first volume of Strontium Dog out of the library. Read a couple of the strips already, and whilst they are most certainly dated, the whole scifi pulp western appeal of the story, as well as how awesome Johnny Alpha is, shows why so this strip's a favourite amongst many 2000AD readers, including myself. I still can't believe that a few months ago they brought Johnny back from the dead. Oh sure, it's a comic, and comic book heroes coming back from the dead after a year or so happens every day in DC and Marvel, except this isn't DC or Marvel, and this isn't after a couple of years: it has been twenty years since Johnny Alpha got killed off in the comic, an event so big it got a mention in tv sitcom Spaced. I still haven't read the original story of how that happened yet, but I know there's been a lot of blatant retconning to bring Alpha back. Still, it is Alpha, and it is wonderful writer John Wagner doing the story still, so I'm sure when SD returns, it'll be worth the wait!

Brainslinger
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
2000AD - Prog 1717. Yes, after months of just letting my pile of "need to read weekly progs" build up, i've finally read about 25 progs in 2 weeks and I'm not only up to speed, I'm ahead of everyone else, for once: due to having a subscription instead of just getting it from the shop, got it today in the post, as i usually get the progs, 4 days early, only this time i'm reading it soon as i get it!

You're ahead of me then! (I cancelled my subscription a while back when my finances got a bit iffy. I still buy it on a weekly basis though, either a digital version downloaded or a proper comic if I happen to be at the shops and have some change to spare.)

I'm glad you like it. I'm enjoying all the current strips too, although I'm not keen on Necrophim. Like you, I like the art though.

Also got the first volume of Strontium Dog out of the library.

I've yet to read those strips! I bought the second volume a while back though and rather enjoyed it. Incidentally they're doing a sale on stuff at the 2000 AD shop (http://shop.2000adonline.com/) at the moment (although it still pays to look elsewhere for some items). I bought a Johnny Alpha action figure big kid of 35 that I am. (Or is it 36, I'm at that age where I'm losing track. At that price I couldn't resist.)

I still can't believe that a few months ago they brought Johnny back from the dead. Oh sure, it's a comic, and comic book heroes coming back from the dead after a year or so happens every day in DC and Marvel, except this isn't DC or Marvel, and this isn't after a couple of years: it has been twenty years since Johnny Alpha got killed off in the comic, an event so big it got a mention in tv sitcom Spaced. I still haven't read the original story of how that happened yet, but I know there's been a lot of blatant retconning to bring Alpha back. Still, it is Alpha, and it is wonderful writer John Wagner doing the story still, so I'm sure when SD returns, it'll be worth the wait!

I actually bought the volume 'The Final Solution' which deals with his death to prepare. The artwork is very strange in places, and takes some getting used to, but it has a lot of energy. (The main S/D artist Carlos Ezquerra disagreed with that decision and refused to draw it.) While it's not bad, I don't think it compares well with other SD stories. It's incredibly bleak. As for that event... I agree it's not something that should be done often, but I think the way it was done was rather good and, I'm glad he's back. It does make me wonder how many flares he actually had and where he was hiding them though. (When you read The Final Solution, then The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha I think you'll understand what I mean.)

I'm currently reading Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft and I'm really enjoying it. This is the only Joe Hill stuff I've read, and judging by this, talent certainly runs in the family.

WeDealInLead
01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone reading Superior? It's about a kid in a wheelchair who somehow ends up with super powers. Millar strikes again!

Brainslinger
01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Anyone reading Superior? It's about a kid in a wheelchair who somehow ends up with super powers. Millar strikes again!

Hmm. I think that strip might be running in Clint.. It rings a bell, and it seems likely Millar being the editor. I didn't know it was about that though. Looks interesting.

fernandito
01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Finally starting Invisibles Vol. 6 - Kissing Mister Quimper.

Yaksha
01-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Loving all the different Green Lantern titles. Especially the one with Guy Gardner as the main character. Guy is a beast

WeDealInLead
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Hmm. I think that strip might be running in Clint.. It rings a bell, and it seems likely Millar being the editor. I didn't know it was about that though. Looks interesting.

Did you get a chance to pick this up? There is a WTF moment on the last page of #3. And yes, Millar is writting it. I'm also tempted to pick up back issues of his Nemesis.