PDA

View Full Version : F you and the horse you rode in on?

nordh
04-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Coming from Sweden, perhaps I've missed this connection to the real world or perhaps an old movie or so, but I seem to find the quote "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" in several of Stephen Kings books. For example It and Lisey's story (smuck), and I'm pretty certain it was mentioned by Jake or Eddie somewhere in the DT series as well.

Is this just an old saying, or is it King that's just really fond of using it? :orely:

Bev Vincent
04-16-2008, 02:24 AM
It's an old and very popular saying. The first word can be tamed down (e.g. Screw you...) Citations have been found from the early 1970s, and the phrase was possibly current during the Korean War in the 1950s.

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Too bad whoever made up the saying isn't making money off of it.

Matt
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
My dad was in the habit of saying this to friends after a few drinks when I was a teenager. :lol:

I always thought it was cool as hell.

As far as why it works, I think that the idea of not just saying "fuck you" but also saying it to the horse you rode in on is a double wham.

Storyslinger
04-16-2008, 09:14 AM
What Matt said. Its a huge double insult. You really have to hate someone to tell their horse to fuck off.

Matt
04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Seriously!

What did the horse do?!?! :lol:

Storyslinger
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
HE WAS THERE, THAT'S WHAT HE DID! :lol:

Bev Vincent
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Guilt by association!

OchrisO
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
The "horse you rode in on" part is used to tell someone to basically "Get off their high horse," with someone who is using a "high horse" attitude being a person who believes themself to be superior to others, kind of like the hero Cowboy who rides into town in old western movies.

Matt
04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow! Not to me, the horse was just always a double slam to the traditional fuck you. :lol:

My dad would say it when he lost a hand at poker, fondest memories of my child hood.

ZoNeSeeK
04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah as chris said, the "horse you rode in on" is implying that the person its said to are coming from a high and righteous position

So its the same as saying "Fuck you, and you're full of shit"

Jean
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
it also seems to me that the additional, enhanced insultiveness comes from the invective being detailed. There's difference between saying, "I f**ked your sister" and "Last night I f**ked your sister till she screamed". Details lend plausibility, thus making the insult hard to deny, and the act of insulting irreversible.

Daghain
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes, but if you want to be a real ass, you say fuck you and the horse you rode in on, and the dog that followed you into town.

Yeah, I grew up in a tough crowd. :lol:

nordh
04-17-2008, 03:02 AM
it also seems to me that the additional, enhanced insultiveness comes from the invective being detailed. There's difference between saying, "I f**ked your sister" and "Last night I f**ked your sister till she screamed". Details lend plausibility, thus making the insult hard to deny, and the act of insulting irreversible.

And the horse she rode in on? :onfire:

Anyhow, I think I've gotten my answer. Cheers everyone. It felt a bit too good of a saying to have been originated by King (and be a sort of reference between books).

Storyslinger
04-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Yes, but if you want to be a real ass, you say fuck you and the horse you rode in on, and the dog that followed you into town.

:rofl: I love that!

Jon
04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I always took the "horse" part literally.

That would explain the police car and the fine from the ASPCA.

LadyHitchhiker
04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Only you Jon :lol:

BillyxRansom
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM

And the horse she rode in on? :onfire:

:wtf::wtf::rofl:

I always too the "horse" part literally.

WAT

razz
02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
why have i never seen this thread before?

gsvec
02-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I always too the "horse" part literally.

But in your case, Jon, wouldn't it be "Fuck you and the sheep you rode in on!"? :lol:

Oh wait . . . "rode" could really be misinterpreted here . . .

flaggwalkstheline
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I would like to contribute something to this conversation about naughty words:

CHINGA TU MADRE PINCHE PUTA PENDEJO CABRON!
JOVEN!!!

there, even if u dont know what it means (and I do) mexican-spanish cursing just has more oomph than anything in english:pirate::nana:

RUBE
02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I recognize just enough words to know you insulted someone's mother.

flaggwalkstheline
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

the english equivalent is calling someone a horny-whorish-goat who fucks their mother

followed by a healthy cry of "n fuck yourself 2!":scared:

sounds more wrong en espanol though

for the record I wasnt directing it at anyone in particular

Sam
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM

We said fuck you, the horse you rode in on, and the fleas that infest it.

jayson
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I've always been fond of Vonnegut's "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut?" which he uses frequently in Slapstick.

flaggwalkstheline
02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I've always been fond of Vonnegut's "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut?" which he uses frequently in Slapstick.

Hi Ho!

Jon
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM

the english equivalent is calling someone a horny-whorish-goat who fucks their mother

followed by a healthy cry of "n fuck yourself 2!":scared:

sounds more wrong en espanol though

for the record I wasnt directing it at anyone in particular

But I'll take it!

ClicheGuevara
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
My God, this is so funny I'm about to bust a gut!:wtf::wtf:

Daghain
02-17-2009, 09:40 PM

We said fuck you, the horse you rode in on, and the fleas that infest it.

Sam, that's hilarious!. :D

And flagg, Mexican Spanish swearing is cool as hell. German is almost as good. :D Who knew calling someone a schweinhund (literally pig dog) could be a major insult? :lol:

ClicheGuevara
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Swearing in any language is fun.

Sam
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Another good curse Dags, is penjechingato if I got my mexican spelling right. It directly translates into catfish pussy.

Who'd have ever thought that calling someone pubic hair would be a hell worthy insult? I saw a Mexican fellow pull a knife on a guy who called him that.:panic:

Daghain
02-17-2009, 10:53 PM
:lol:

fernandito
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I've never heard that phrase before :|

The Lady of Shadows
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
how in the fucking hell have i never seen this thread before? there are some seriously priceless phrases in here that i can't wait for an opportunity to use!

how much trouble do you think i'd get in for use one or two in my sig? :evil:

Sam
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I've never heard that phrase before :|

Well, now you have.:wtf:

Jean
02-18-2009, 12:37 AM
::cough cough::

I have to ask everyone to illustrate your points with as many examples from literature as possible, or this thread will be moved to Dixie Pig.

EdwardDean1999
02-18-2009, 06:58 AM

I heart that one. First heard it in the stage show "Blood Brothers" Hilarious.

And, man. What a thread!

Iwritecode
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Coming from Sweden, perhaps I've missed this connection to the real world or perhaps an old movie or so, but I seem to find the quote "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" in several of Stephen Kings books. For example It and Lisey's story (smuck), and I'm pretty certain it was mentioned by Jake or Eddie somewhere in the DT series as well.

Is this just an old saying, or is it King that's just really fond of using it? :orely:

My wife has told me this before, mostly in joking/sarcastic tone, and I always ask if the horse's name was Friday.

Anyone who's seen the movie Little Big League will get the reference. :P

Jean
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Anyone who's seen my post two posts above will get the subtle hint. Please have another look at the forum we're in. So far we haven't drifted too far off topic, but if we do, I'll have to think about moving the thread.

cozener
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Y'know, I think there could be another thing with the horse. Lets say that I'm in a marketing meeting and my boss asks me what my idea is to market this great new product. I offer up something really stupid. He could say, "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" referring to me and my idea."

Or lets say there's a very exclusive club that only allows someone to join if they're vouched for by an existing member. A buddy of yours gets you into the club and it soon comes to light that you're a complete asshole. One of the members could say, "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" referring to you and the friend that got you in the club.

Basically, this saying could be saying fuck you and whatever person and/or circumstance brought you "into town" as it were.

I don't know if its really intended that way...I'm just theorizing.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I have always felt that the phrase meant something like Fuck you and everything you come from. (Your family, past, town, etc) .....and the horse you rode in on.

gsvec
02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I saw the movie Changeling last night - the phrase was used twice and because of this thread I couldn't help but laugh! :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Was Changeling any good?

gsvec
02-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Slow start, but once it got going, it was pretty good!

ArtherEld
02-23-2009, 03:57 AM
I remember where else I saw this phrase. Level 31 of Halo, the first game. This is pure geekdom, but here it is: YouTube - Halo - The Maw (Level 31)

Lost Rose
03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry if off topic or whatever..but my favoriet King-ism is Fuck me 'til I cry...I've caught myself using it...a lot...

The Lady of Shadows
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
i love that expression as well. :rose: