PDA

View Full Version : "Unofficial" fan site???

NeedfulKings
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I was at the home page and that term jumped out at me.

Why can't we be an "Official fan site"? Not that we're claiming to be an Official Stephen King site, but we ARE a fan site and last I looked, we're pretty damned official! :excited:

Just my 2 cents. Are there legalities? If so, I say we fight 'em! :shoot:

:lol:

Daghain
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I think SK's site is the "official" one. Don't think you can compete with that. :)

John Blaze
04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
but the word Official is thrown around like party candy nowadays, so I think having Unofficial actually makes us stand out more, and gives the site a bit of appeal.

Ruthful
04-15-2008, 02:07 AM
What we really need is a Webby Award.

Web-surfers will see that seal at the top of the page and be like, "oh crap, this has to be a bad-ass; I'm not even a Stephen King fan and I'm about to come in my pants."

alinda
04-15-2008, 03:56 AM
I think the issue is authorazation.
And who is liable for content...
I think its like the difference between a biography that is
unauthorized or not. Something must be "santioned"
in order to be Official , now if Uncle Stevie thought
Hey, I trust these people and the way they do
bussiness (never happen) I suppose with a nod
and a contract to do things thier way we could
use the terminology "official", but hey it has its
appeal to be independent now....On our own,
because we rock, this site is the #1 fastest
growing SK based website, isnt that what it says
@ Google? I say think on that!:clap:

NeedfulKings
04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
LOL, how do we win a Webby???? :p

Good points on being independant too. That makes sense and I'm glad we're the fastest growing fan site!!! Hats off to all those who made it possible! :) :) :)

I can see this being THE biggest SK site in the future. If it's not already there. ;)

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Instead of Unofficial or Official I kinda like the idea of just having a giant red sign saying something like - DEATH TO ALL THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THIS SITE

Matt
04-15-2008, 06:29 AM
What we really need is a Webby Award.

Web-surfers will see that seal at the top of the page and be like, "oh crap, this has to be a bad-ass; I'm not even a Stephen King fan and I'm about to come in my pants."

I would love to know how to win a webby--I think our charity drive alone would make us eligible for some kind of "cool website" prize.

I think its like the difference between a biography that is
unauthorized or not. Something must be "santioned"
in order to be Official

This is exactly right, there will only ever be one "official" Stephen King board because anything that officially carries his name has to be very well monitored (because of liability to the man himself--some people simply see deep pockets in certain situations). However, the fact that he agreed to support our fund raiser says a hell of a lot about how he feels about the site.

You know he wouldn't do that for something he felt less than good about. Like the chance we were a scam or something.

I think, right now, this site enjoys a closer relationship with the official site than any before it. I believe that has a lot to do with our desire to give back as opposed to simply being here.

Good points on being independant too. That makes sense and I'm glad we're the fastest growing fan site!!! Hats off to all those who made it possible! :) :) :)

I can see this being THE biggest SK site in the future. If it's not already there. ;)

:couple:

I think we are at the beginning of something very big here. When it first started, I figured a solid year for the thing to even get off the ground. Obviously we have not only done that but we have already become THE place for Dark Tower and King information on the internet.

Still have a long way to go but this first year couldn't have been better. I think that is mostly because of the members here--the community we have created. I always thought that would be the most important thing.

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Matt, you bring a tear to my eye. :)
I'd have to agree with JB, I think the "unofficial" is part of the site's appeal. Also, it is pretty clear from the donation list that sai King must appreciate us/the site. Oh I totally hope I win an autographed King book!!! :D
:grouphug:

Ruthful
04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Entry for this year is pretty much closed.

http://www.webbyawards.com/entries/closed.php

But if you're willing to shell a few hundred bucks-and, from what I gather, sleep with the rulers of the InterWebz-this site will be a shoe in.

http://www.slate.com/id/2188581/

Seriously though, I agree with the sentiments expressed above. This site is going places.

John Blaze
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
honestly, we don't need a shitty award to be cool. We ARE cool. :cool:

so fuck the webby's and the emmy's and the oscar's. :P

Merlin1958
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Perhaps he refers to the DT.net "official" fan site. Can't see any reason this site would'nt qualify. Probably need to speak to the Mods at SK.com
:onfire:

John Blaze
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
i don't remember .net being "official", and I was there for years.

who knows, we'll see.

Matt
04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Nope, in the FAQ on dt.net the first sentence was saying that it was "unofficial".

The only official sanction I have seen was on Antman's site who claimed an "as seen on SK.com" symbol because he had a link from there.

We will be having a link to here when the new SK.com site is launched. Only one site can be the official and it will never be this one. :lol:

Merlin1958
04-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Perhaps I was referring to the fact that it used (or still is?) to be listed as an "Official" link on the SK.com page. [I] would think that the fact that SK.com acknowledges it makes it somewhat "official" therefore no reason this site could'nt be added as well

Matt
04-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Very true--I believe how it is listed on SK.com is totally up to them. When I have seen it on the "links" category on the main page, it is listed under "fan sites".

We'll be there for sure, I am also hoping for one on the Dark Tower side of the official site.

When I first informed Stephen King's staff that we were here, Ms. Mod's only comment (other than how nice the place was) was that it needed to be clearly stated on the home page that we were not the official web site for Stephen King.

And welcome to the site Merlin, its great to meet you. :couple:

Merlin1958
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks same here

mia/susannah
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I think this site is perfect just the way it is. The members of The Dark Tower.com :rock:

I am a member of the Stephen King official website as well. But I enjoy this site so much more.

razz
04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I think if you were to call it AN official fan site. not THE official fan site.

because i have nothing else to say, really.

LadyHitchhiker
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM
let's be the Official unofficial Fan Site.

NeedfulKings
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM

We have a winner!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

;)

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Please. My idea was much more eye-catching and exciting.

John Blaze
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
yeah, but YOU suggested it, which is why everyone hated it. :P

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Can we be "Matt's Official Fun-House of Sexual Horrors?" Or would that be "Unofficial?" Hmmm.....

Jean
04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I think this site is perfect just the way it is.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:45 AM

We have a winner!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

;)

Can the sign be in flashing monty python / vegas writing?

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 05:58 AM
yeah, but YOU suggested it, which is why everyone hated it. :P

Yep. Thats the truth.

Unfound One
04-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Matthew,
Don't them those mean folken get you down.
You may be evil and crimson and kingly and stuff, but some of still find it in our hearts to love you. :)

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
I know I do... :wub:

Unfound One
04-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Yup yup yup. :huglove:

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Matthew,
Don't them those mean folken get you down.
You may be evil and crimson and kingly and stuff, but some of still find it in our hearts to love you. :)

Oh believe me, I don't let most things get me down. I was just agreeing with a fact. ;)

John Blaze
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM