PDA

View Full Version : The Purple Blade of Grass

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
This is something that is mentioned in The Gunslinger and The Wastelands (if I remember correctly) but after that, we never hear about it again. Any thoughts on what it was all about and why King never delved into it again?

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
It was one of my favorite parts of the first book, but I think it was just a young, into drugs and drinking, King writing something into the plot to help the story. But, seeing as it made it into both versions of book one, it had to be somewhat important, so I don't understand why its never touched on again?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:18 AM
It was also in Eddie's vision at the beginning of The Wastelands I believe..so there seems to be more to it like you said. It just seems to have been dropped.

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I remember now, wasn't the grass in the abandoned lot purple, but because of paint, too?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I remember now, wasn't the grass in the abandoned lot purple, but because of paint, too?

Yeah, I forgot about that. Thats true..the mystery deepens.

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Now I really want to know the deeper meaning behind this.

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, I don't think it was really just dropped. I think it was no longer needed. The blade of grass was meant to illustrate size in the multiverse so Roland could further understand what he was delving into I think. Once told, Roland had the information and so did the reader. It was just background so you could understand the scope of things I think. And maybe that painted purple blade was the very same blade Roland himself saw. :)

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I get the feeling that the Purple Blade of Grass is a concept that seemed to have fallen by the wayside as the years went by. Maybe we'll get some insight with the comic series?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, I don't think it was really just dropped. I think it was no longer needed. The blade of grass was meant to illustrate size in the multiverse so Roland could further understand what he was delving into I think. Once told, Roland had the information and so did the reader. It was just background so you could understand the scope of things I think. And maybe that painted purple blade was the very same blade Roland himself saw. :)

Thats an interesting perspective, Brice. It just seemed an unresolved thing that seemed key towards the beginning of the series.

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:28 AM
It may not have been needed anymore, Brice, after the first book, but it kept coming back. I agree with your reasoning, but I think that in the back of King's mind, there was more to this story than he was ready, or capable of telling.

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:30 AM

Thats an interesting perspective, Brice. It just seemed an unresolved thing that seemed key towards the beginning of the series.

I don't think it's unresolved. I think it was foreshadowing some of what was to come. In fact for about twenty years that little blade of grass (and all that went with it in Walter's explanation/vision for Roland) has hung in my head.

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I know that I never forgot it. I even had a book mark that had Kings original afterword on that vision.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't think it's unresolved. I think it was foreshadowing some of what was to come. In fact for about twenty years that little blade of grass (and all that went with it in Walter's explanation/vision for Roland) has hung in my head.

So you think it was a foreshadowing of him finding The Rose in the lot, the Rose being the twin of the Dark Tower, and so also represents the multiverse it in its own way, and thats it?

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM

So you think it was a foreshadowing of him finding The Rose in the lot, the Rose being the twin of the Dark Tower, and so also represents the multiverse it in its own way, and thats it?

That's it? No! Maybe this will sound a bit crazy, but I think there are very calculated and intentional puzzles within the tale. One thing leading to another and back around again.

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
...and I don't think the rose was the tower's twin. I think it actually was the tower.

Storyslinger
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM

That's it? No! Maybe this will sound a bit crazy, but I think there are very calculated and intentional puzzles within the tale. One thing leading to another and back around again.

Now that would be sneaky! :ninja:

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Okey dokey smokey! If what I just said wasn't what you were talking about, what were you talking about?

bitch.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
...and I don't think the rose was the tower's twin. I think it actually was the tower.

Well, thats another topic.

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM

Okey dokey smokey! If what I just said wasn't what you were talking about, what were you talking about?

bitch.

What you just said was essentially a PART of what I'm talking about.

bastard!

More fun later. I need sleep.

Brice
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Meh...it's all one topic really. :P

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
What you just said was essentially a PART of what I'm talking about.

Okay, you've got me interested...in your full idea.

bastard! Hey, that was out of the blue, what did I do to earn that kind of ad hominem attack?

More fun later. I need sleep.

Pussy.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Meh...it's all one topic really. :P

I see what you're saying.

Mark
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Jake says (Or thinks it, i can't remember) that the purple paint was just camoflage(sic), so that you mightn't think it was weird. And I also agree with Brice the rose being The Tower itself.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Jake says (Or thinks it, i can't remember) that the purple paint was just camoflage(sic), so that you mightn't think it was weird..

So what is the significance of the purple grass in the visions of Roland and Eddie and the paint on the grass around the Rose in the lot to you?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Ooooor you can just go ahead and keep it to yourself...

Mark
04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I believe, due to my belief of the rose being the tower, than it is to represent the field of roses, with a few baldes of grass around the rose, i dunno why it's purple though.

Míchéal
04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I just finished DoTT and i'm on the waste lands now and as far as i can see the purple blade of grass was to emphasise the multiverse (as stated above).

MonteGss
04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I never attached too much meaning to the blade of purple grass. I saw it's introduction in DT1 as a sneak peek for Roland of the Rose in it's natural environment. Jake saw it (and Roland later) in it's natural environment on Keystone World. The rose grows in purple grass. I don't think this is off topic for this but I am with CK and Brice...the Rose is the Tower but it is the Tower as it is represented on Keystone World/Earth.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I never attached too much meaning to the blade of purple grass. I saw it's introduction in DT1 as a sneak peek for Roland of the Rose in it's natural environment. Jake saw it (and Roland later) in it's natural environment on Keystone World. The rose grows in purple grass. I don't think this is off topic for this but I am with CK and Brice...the Rose is the Tower but it is the Tower as it is represented on Keystone World/Earth.

So, by "sneak peak into the Rose's natural environment" do you mean that it was just a sneak peak into it being in the lot? 'Cause it sure seemed to be invested with a lot of meaning in Roland's vision. About the Rose and the Tower thing...I am not sure what to think about it being the Tower itself..I do believe it is the twin of the Tower in this world.

MonteGss
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
As said as much in the series, the Rose is the Tower, as it is represented on Keystone Earth. Just as it is represented as a cat on other levels of the Tower. So, in essence CK, I agree with you as well, the Rose is the Tower's twin.

I think that yes, it is a peak at the Rose in the lot. I don't think that makes it any less special of a vision to Roland because he glimpsed something greater and closer to the Tower than he had before.

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Roland says that he believes the Rose is the Tower. Its not stated as some fact, as far as I can remember. I can buy it though. It is the Tower in another form. So does the purple blade of grass mean anything else to you..or have you not thought much about it generally?

MonteGss
04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Hmm, well I guess I just thought it was connected to the Rose. I thought it was like a hint of things to come when Roland saw it in Walter's vision. I personally don't believe King strayed away from things in his saga or that he changed course midstream. I don't know....
Do you think he intended for it to be more? Like maybe, it was the blade of grass that was his first, intentional focus and that he changed it later to the Rose?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
It just felt to me like there was a lot more importance to the blade of grass that King was alluding to and after The Wastelands it doesn't get mentioned again. It just kind of hit me earlier today, that I was expecting to read more about it, at least a little bit more of a hint of what the big deal was with it, but never did.
I've always wondered about the purple blade of grass but have never understood what it was all about. I suppose others could be right that its another representation of the multiverse...or maybe its a representative of Tower Keystone dying?

MonteGss
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Wasn't the purple grass mentioned again in Wolves when the tet traveled to the lot? Or do you mean the single purple blade of grass?

Wuducynn
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
The single blade in the vision..but its also related in some way to the grass around the Rose in the vacant lot it seems.

MonteGss
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes. I reread the passage in Wolves and it's just mentioned quickly about the rose growing in a clump of purple grass.
Thinking more about it CK, I have to go back to what I mentioned earlier. I think the single blade of grass in Roland's vision was just a glimpse of what was to come....the Rose.

obscurejude
04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
CK, I'm with you. I thought there was going to be much more significance in the later novels. The blade of grass was the quintessential image of Roland's vision, i.e there's this huge buildup with Roland flying all over the universe and then "a purple blade of grass." I was expecting it have a much more profound place in the series. I was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be spray paint.

It could be a sign that Gan likes Deep Purple, Purple Haze, or Purple Rain? Maybe the ves ka gan sounds a little like Prince?

"Have some pancakes, bitches"

Darkthoughts
04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
:lol:

I'm sure there were alot of things, like the purple blade of grass, that King had certain intentions for...but by the time he got around to writing the latter half of the series he'd either forgotten his original train of thought or simply decided to change it.

When the purple grass was mentioned in the palaver, I thought its significance was just to show that the Tower was in some alternate dimension, ie where they have purple grass instead of green - it just reinforced that the Tower was not of this world.

sarah
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM

Interesting point, Brice. I would have to agree with you. I do think the blade served its purpose. But in the back of my mind, I think that just maybe this is another one of those small but important things that got brushed aside.

darkthoughts:

I'm sure there were alot of things, like the purple blade of grass, that King had certain intentions for...but by the time he got around to writing the latter half of the series he'd either forgotten his original train of thought or simply decided to change it.

yes, exactly. :couple:

Matt
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the grass in the vision and the grass by the rose are two different things. But if we are going to consider the Rose as the actual Tower on Keystone Earth (which I do) then that means that all time and size resides within its petals. That would make the grass around it something quite special as well.

But with all that said, I think the point of the vision is that all roses, all blades of grass, hold infinite universes within them and the entire thing is about perspective, time and size.

jayson
04-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I think the grass in the vision and the grass by the rose are two different things. But if we are going to consider the Rose as the actual Tower on Keystone Earth (which I do) then that means that all time and size resides within its petals. That would make the grass around it something quite special as well.

But with all that said, I think the point of the vision is that all roses, all blades of grass, hold infinite universes within them and the entire thing is about perspective, time and size.

well said matt, and to go on from there if i might, i think that specific rose holds Roland's world inside of it. that is why it is crucial to save the Rose and the Tower on their individual levels.

Wuducynn
04-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Hey Brice, are you going to give me the complete version of what you feel the Purple Blade of Grass is all about?

Brice
04-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey Brice, are you going to give me the complete version of what you feel the Purple Blade of Grass is all about?

no

Wuducynn
04-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Okey doke :harrier:

Brice
04-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Actually, I am going to expound on the idea, but it isn't a fully formed idea and now is not the time because I'm tired and not capable of deeper thoughts. :)

Wuducynn
04-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Masturbate.

Brice
04-09-2008, 05:50 AM
I doubt that will help.

Wuducynn
04-09-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm pretty sure it will. Especially if you keep the purple blade of grass in your mind while you do it.

Brice
04-09-2008, 05:52 AM
I think most of the people in Burger King would prefer it if I didn't. :rofl:

Wuducynn
04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that the purple blade of grass is meant to represent the dying multiverse.

obscurejude
04-09-2008, 06:26 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling that the purple blade of grass is meant to represent the dying multiverse.

That's interesting and actually makes a lot of since. I'm going to think about that some.

jayson
04-09-2008, 06:27 AM

Makes sense to me. The Flower is the Tower, the sick grass is the sick multiverse that is "moving on" or falling apart, or whatever you want to call it.

Storyslinger
04-09-2008, 06:28 AM
King kind of touched on that in the afterword of the book.

John Blaze
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Ok, I've been wanting to post in this thread, and finally got some time to do it.

If you fell outward to the limits of the universe, would you find a board fence and signs reading DEAD END? No. You might find something hard and rounded, as the chick might see the egg from the inside. And if you should peck through that shell, what great and torrentiallight might shine through your hole at the end of space? Might you look through and discover our entire universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass? Might you be forced to think that by burning a twig you incinerate an eternity of eternities? That existence rises not to one infinite but to an infinity of them?

What we have to remember is that Walter sent Roland that vision. Yet, Walter did not really have control of it, as shown when he didn't know what it meant that there was a blade of purple grass.

To me it's more of the same speak on the nature of the multi-verse. There are worlds withing worlds, there are alternate universes, everything's connected, blah blah blah. The reason Sk didn't delve into it further was because I don't think that he thought it was needed. I mean, would you really want SK to go into an entire chapter or two on the binding of philotic connections, a la' Orson Scott Card? I doubt it, it's hard to imagine drier reading material.

I went to youtube and found this video. It's the point I believe SK was trying to make. It might not seem totally relevant at first, but watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jj975xlGiE

Storyslinger
04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
There's what I was talking about, thanks JB.

Darkthoughts
04-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Far out, took the kids to see Horton Hears A Hoo today...oddly relevant to this discussion :lol:

obscurejude
04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Horton is a mind trip Lisa.

Brice
04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
To see? There is a movie? How did I not know this? :(

John Blaze
04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
you don't have eyes, or ears??

it's all over the damn TV. I don't know if I should buy it. How good was it Lisa?

Brice
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't watch tv.

John Blaze
04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
therein lies your problem. :)

Brice
04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I actually gave my tv away. :)

mia/susannah
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I am not sure of the significance of the purple blade of grass. But I tend to agree with Brice.

obscurejude
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I am not sure of the significance of the purple blade of grass. But I tend to agree with Brice.

Specifically or generally? Either way, that tends to be dangerous territory. :lol:

Brice
04-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Yes, I'd have to agree it's dangerous agreeing with me on anything. :lol: I try not to do so myself.

Darkthoughts
04-10-2008, 07:05 AM
you don't have eyes, or ears??

it's all over the damn TV. I don't know if I should buy it. How good was it Lisa?
Well, at first I thought I'd got the bum deal, because my sister called it on taking the older two to see The Spiderwick Chronicles and I had to take the little 'uns to see Horton...but it was pretty cool. I generally loathe Disney, but it made me chuckle and it was reasonably faithful to Dr Seuss. Jim Carey didn't overact...and the opening sequence was awesome.

Btw, my sister thought Spiderwick sucked :lol:

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Well, I could live in a town called Spiderwick. It definitely has a certain something, a certain ring if you will.

John Blaze
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
like a spider's penis? spider-wick?

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Exactly.

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:32 AM
It was the last blade of purple grass left that the purple buffalo feasted to extinction...

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Makes sense to me. The Flower is the Tower, the sick grass is the sick multiverse that is "moving on" or falling apart, or whatever you want to call it.

Yep. Interesting the Purple Blade of Grass represents a single world for Roland to try and understand (in hopes that his mind would snap from other party's perspective) and the purple grass growing around the Rose are the multiple worlds moving on.

LadyHitchhiker
05-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I can't believe nobody got my reference... :(

Wuducynn
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Yep. Interesting the Purple Blade of Grass represents a single world for Roland to try and understand (in hopes that his mind would snap from other party's perspective) and the purple grass growing around the Rose are the multiple worlds moving on.

So what do you think about the above ideas, Liz?

LadyHitchhiker
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Honestly, you're going to laugh at me but I thought it was just purple grass from another world/dimension...

But I didn't read into it nearly as much as every other bit of the book...

I was sure the purple meant something but I did not understand the symbolism.

SpektR
05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey guys...I have only just started reading "The Waste Lands" so my theory will mostlikley be proved false in a later book when all is revealed. Ill put the rest in spoiler thingy incase anyone hasnt read The Waste Lands

I feel the blade of grass is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general and the dark tower at its center, because as soon as I saw the drawing Roland drew into the sand to show where the 12 gates are and the tower in the middle the first thing that struck me was its resemblance to the zodiac graph. Not only that but alot of the time each zodiac sign is given an animal as its symbol which I felt was shown via the big bear that they had to kill. The tower is the sun in the graph. Alot of religions take the sun from the zodiac and personify it as a Prophet. So I was thinking maybe whoever is in the tower is a prophet of some kind, or at least a very very wise, strong magician.

Therefore I feel,looking back to the blade of grass maybe it was this prophet showing Roland the creation of the universe and whatever higher being created it, if a being at all. No doubt you have all read through to the end and know alot more than me and know me theory is totally wrong, but hey... I just thought I would share it anyway.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Honestly, you're going to laugh at me but I thought it was just purple grass from another world/dimension...

But I didn't read into it nearly as much as every other bit of the book...

I was sure the purple meant something but I did not understand the symbolism.

Ah, gotcha.

Hey guys...I have only just started reading "The Waste Lands" so my theory will mostlikley be proved false in a later book when all is revealed. Ill put the rest in spoiler thingy incase anyone hasnt read The Waste Lands

I feel the blade of grass is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general and the dark tower at its center, because as soon as I saw the drawing Roland drew into the sand to show where the 12 gates are and the tower in the middle the first thing that struck me was its resemblance to the zodiac graph. Not only that but alot of the time each zodiac sign is given an animal as its symbol which I felt was shown via the big bear that they had to kill. The tower is the sun in the graph. Alot of religions take the sun from the zodiac and personify it as a Prophet. So I was thinking maybe whoever is in the tower is a prophet of some kind, or at least a very very wise, strong magician.

Therefore I feel,looking back to the blade of grass maybe it was this prophet showing Roland the creation of the universe and whatever higher being created it, if a being at all. No doubt you have all read through to the end and know alot more than me and know me theory is totally wrong, but hey... I just thought I would share it anyway.

Thanks for sharing it, and it is an interesting theory.

Jean
05-08-2008, 10:54 PM
SpektR: right or wrong the theory is (I am not going to spoil the book for you http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif), it surely is good. I personally don't care a f**k about Zodiac, but the point is that all cultural contexts do converge within the world of the Dark Tower, and even though no interpretation can hold the absolute truth, most, or maybe all, are asymptotically correct. As you said, it is meant to make the reader think deeper into the universe in general.

LadyHitchhiker
05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I thought that it was supposed to be purple so we KNEW it didn't come from our world...

pathoftheturtle
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
...but ironically, it did come from our world.

My question is, did Walter know that? Perhaps the paint was "meant" as misdirection.

Wuducynn
05-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Mmmmm I'm still thinking the Purple Blade was a symbol of the dying worlds.

pathoftheturtle
05-10-2008, 11:45 AM
So... Does that mean that you think that the blade is above the Tower?

John Blaze
05-10-2008, 01:59 PM
well the tower is small enough to exist on a planet, so why can't there be something bigger?

maybe there's a Horton out there with his own tower.

Wuducynn
05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
So... Does that mean that you think that the blade is above the Tower?

If you look at our conversation above, to me the grass surrounding the Rose seems to represent the worlds around and yet also a part of the Tower, and Walter mentions a dying blade of grass on an alien plain, which makes me wonder if Roland seeing that Purple blade of Grass as a warning of whats at stake. So no, I don't think it is above the Tower.

pathoftheturtle
05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Cool. It wasn't clear to me. Seems that we're in agreement.
I'm still thinking the Purple Blade was a symbol of the dying worlds.As far as that goes, I think the blade and the Rose are one and the same.

...why can't there be something bigger?
Because the Tower is the nexus of size. It represents the cosmic order that prevents the kind of situation that Walter described, wherein you'd be forced to conclude that every time you burn a twig, you destroy an infinity of infinities.

well the tower is small enough to exist on a planet...The bird is in the air and the air is in the bird. ;)

pathoftheturtle
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
... And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well.
But something's wrong with it, he thought.
There was a jagged dissonance buried in the hum, like bits of broken galss. There was a nasty flickering purple glare in its hot heart, some cold light that did not belong there.
--Wolves of the Calla(emphasis mine)So, on second thought, perhaps the purple color does stand specially for the corruption of the Red. Hm.

Still, I continue to feel that the main thing that Roland getting the precise vision he that did, near the end of The Gunslinger, shows is the special relationship that exists between Keystone Rose and Tower Keystone.

Another question to conside here: I wonder if the use of a blade of grass might have anything to with the series' continual switching between "a rose, a stone, an unfound door" and Thomas Wolfe's original phrase "a leaf, a stone, an unfound door" ... ?

flaggwalkstheline
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
i think the rose is a metaphor for size, walter/marten/flagg says something along the lines of "size gunslinger is what this is all about" (paraphrasing there) I think that the rose represents how roland is really being manipulated by ka and is actually very small compared to said forces, plus the Dark tower has a lot of multiverse cosmology theory in it and the blade of purple grass and the rose both represent how infinite (and as such incomprehesible) existence is, the man in black knew EXACTLY what would happen (death but not 4 u gunslinger, etc) and the purple blade of grass (which grew around the rose/ 1976 tower) showed roland for just an instant his actual fate but only for a single split second
does that make sense?

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
It does and it is very interesting!

jeotodoxy
05-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Very amusing idea
:)

Xerrand
07-16-2015, 10:46 AM
I always took the blade of purple grass as Roland seeing a part of his future. The Rose in the abandoned lot is described as having purple blades of grass around it. However the man in black claimed he was showing Roland the universe, and as the Rose is the Tower on another level(And the tower arguably is the universe) he could just be viewing the Tower.