Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Collection Title: Stephen Edwin King Papers
Date of Collection: 1968 -
Box Numbers: Box 718, 1005 - 1019a & 2283 - 2327 & 2692 - 2703
Quantity: 74 boxes

Provenance: Gift of Stephen King, over a period from 1976 -
Access Restrictions: No restrictions
Preferred Citation: Stephen Edwin King Papers, Special Collections, Raymond H. Fogler Library, University of Maine
Copyright: Contact department for copyright information
For Additional Information:

Special Collections Department
University of Maine
5729 Fogler Library
Orono, Maine 04469-5729
(207) 581 1686

http://www.library.umaine.edu/speccoll/FindingAids/Kingstep1.htm

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 06:41 AM
I went to the Fogler Library in 1998 when I was in Bangor for the BAG OF BONES signing. I had called and made an appointment about a month prior. A bunch of us were hanging around at Betts Bookstore and I mentioned that I was going. Of course everyone thought that was a great idea and asked if they could come along. I said "Sure!" and about 10 of us drove to Orono in two or three cars.

The two librarians in the Special Collections Department were very surprised and shocked when about 10 of us walked in. Initially they were very hesitant to bring out anything for us to look at. But, as some time went by with some very good conversation, they warmed up to us and started bringing the boxes out. I most remember seeing the original manuscript for THE GUNSLINGER stories on that weird green paper that King says he inherited as a student library assistant. That and the SECOND COMING manuscript were among the highlights that I remember.

If you are ever in the Bangor area you definitely should consider a short side trip to the Fogler Library. I think it is a good idea to call ahead, though.

Ari_Racing
04-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I plan to go and stop by in July, but I can't call from here. Can I go without an appointment?

Daghain
04-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I am definitely putting that on my "If I go to Maine" list. ;)

Randall Flagg
04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
I plan to go and stop by in July, but I can't call from here. Can I go without an appointment?
Try here. (http://maine.cb.docutek.com/um/vrl_entry.asp) You can Chat with, or e-mail a librarian at the Folger library.
Probably a good starting point.

CRinVA
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I went without an appointment and got to see and read plenty! There is one or two boxes however, that they will not show you as you need permission from the man himself! :-)

Bob, I remember seeing The Second Coming Manuscript, and I remember reading I Hate Mondays, Comb Dump and a few others! ???

Daghain
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Do they limit what you can look at time-wise? I mean, if you decided to spend 6 hours there would they let you go wild?

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Do they limit what you can look at time-wise? I mean, if you decided to spend 6 hours there would they let you go wild?

No time limits that I know of. I was there for at least two hours (along with nine of my closest friends). I think if you are there during the normal library hours of operation you should be OK with no time limits. But, again, it was 10 years ago when I was there. I have no idea what the situation is in 2008. I don't think they have all that many people wanting to look at the collection. I suspect if you went during the week you might have the Special Collections all to yourself.

NeedfulKings
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Very interesting stuff. We plan to tour Maine in the next year or two. I'll add this to "places of interest".

Thanks for the link!

Ari_Racing
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
of course no pics allowed, right?

Randall Flagg
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
of course no pics allowed, right?
Ask them.
I would guess that close up pictures-the kind almost equivalent to a scan would be verboten but background pictures might be allowed.

Fsmdr
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Funny....I was just at the Folger a few days ago as a trip that include Bangor and then I read these post. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when I asked for permission to photograph the manuscripts and was granted. Here below is a few I took of Carrie's Typescript manuscript ( and I took plenty!).

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6821/carriefinalgalleyns7.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2589/carriefinalgalley2gp7.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8825/carriefinalgalley3aq3.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice photos, Fsmdr. I'd love to go back and see those items again.

Fsmdr
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
something else that's interesting. Hope this is legible to you all. Note to Bill Thompson on his Shining manuscript:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2788/shiningjd8.jpg

Nerak
04-02-2008, 02:21 AM
nice! And you didn't stop in to see me while you were on the east coast, Juliana :(

jhanic
04-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Those are really neat, Juliana. I didn't think they'd let any photos. Now, if they only allowed photocopying...

John

Fsmdr
04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I did have plans to visit you, Nerak. But I ran out of time. I'll definitely see you next time I'm up there.

John, I wish!!. :scared:

mia/susannah
04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I am definately going to plan a trip to Maine. I have to go the Folgers Library.

alinda
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Tre' magnific ! Thats an impressive collection.
If next year we do meet in Maine, I'd like to
see this before I leave to go home.

Brice
04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Oh, I ain't leaving Maine with out going there if I can make it there. I've always wanted to go.

Nerak
04-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Now that y'all keep talking about it. I wanna go NOW! Not later! LOL

Juliana, would love to meet you, or anyone else that comes to the area!

Patrick
04-03-2008, 02:35 AM
I think Jerome and I need to take a road trip.

Nerak
04-03-2008, 05:19 AM
COME ON OVER!! WOO HOO!! LOL

Randall Flagg
04-03-2008, 06:21 AM
I think Jerome and I need to take a road trip.

I am ready most any time.

Nerak
04-03-2008, 06:31 AM
woo hoo!!! :D

Ari_Racing
04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Why don't you come during the first days of august so we can meet? :)

Nerak
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
oooooo road trip?

Ari_Racing
06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
WTF is this:

Box 2305
The Napkins
Typescript
Edited manuscript
Photoreproduction of typescript
Edited photoreproduction of typescript

jhanic
06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
The Napkins was the working title of The Eyes of the Dragon.

John

The Lady of Shadows
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
something else that's interesting. Hope this is legible to you all. Note to Bill Thompson on his Shining manuscript:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2788/shiningjd8.jpg

the only fucking copy? dear god in heaven, what if it had gotten lost or stolen? could you imagine the world without the shining?

obscurejude
06-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm considering taking a seminar at the Folgers next year for school. :D Technically, I'll be going to study Shakespeare, but we know the real reason...

The Lady of Shadows
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
why, to study shakespeare of course. what other reason could there possibly be? :lol:

Ari_Racing
06-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Maybe one of the mods could correct the title of the thread? it says folger instead of fogler. :)

Randall Flagg
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Maybe one of the mods could correct the title of the thread? it says folger instead of fogler. :)
Done. Thanks for pointing that out.

Brice
06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm considering taking a seminar at the Folgers next year for school. :D Technically, I'll be going to study Shakespeare, but we know the real reason...

Who the hell is Shakespeare?

j/k He is good, but he is no Stephen King. :lol:

Bev Vincent
06-25-2008, 02:39 AM
the only fucking copy? dear god in heaven, what if it had gotten lost or stolen? could you imagine the world without the shining?

The manuscript for The Stand was temporarily lost when someone picked up the wrong bag from the overhead compartment on an airplane. Can you imagine the panic that must have set in when he realized what had happened?

CRinVA
06-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Funny - the correction of Folger to Fogler and the discussion above about obscuredude going to the Fogler to study Shakespeare. In washington, DC the Folger theater is a reproduction of an authentic Shakesperian theatre! And was the place where the Three Kings was held last April. Seems Stephen King and Shakespeare ARE really connected! :-)

wizardsrainbow
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Funny - the correction of Folger to Fogler and the discussion above about obscuredude going to the Fogler to study Shakespeare. In washington, DC the Folger theater is a reproduction of an authentic Shakesperian theatre! And was the place where the Three Kings was held last April. Seems Stephen King and Shakespeare ARE really connected! :-)

Bob-

Thanks for clearing that up. The background of my brain was trying to work that all out and you went and did it for me. Thanks!

obscurejude
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I've actually never been so I just assumed that King was connected based on the posts in the thread. My school sends funding to the Folger and so the grad students can apply for grants to fly to DC and sit at the feet of the Shakespearean elites. I knew the three kings was held there as well, but I'm glad you cleared it up man. :couple:

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM

The manuscript for The Stand was temporarily lost when someone picked up the wrong bag from the overhead compartment on an airplane. Can you imagine the panic that must have set in when he realized what had happened?

i thought losing the shining would be bad. i'm pretty sure the world would've ended with the loss of the stand. :panic:

oh hey. i just got that. :lol:

Randall Flagg
11-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Purportedly there is an unpublished collaboration between Joe Hill and King.

Among unpublished works is one partly completed with his father, "But Only Darkness Loves Me", which is held with the Stephen King papers at the Special Collections Unit of the Raymond H Fogler Library at the University of Maine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maine) in Orono, Maine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orono,_Maine)

mae
11-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I think I've heard of that title before.

herbertwest
11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Me too, but i dont remember reading it was a collaboration with Joe...

LeenyM
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Bleh, Fogler. I was so excited when I started school about it, and then i went in and i can't even find the SK stuff... i thought there would be like a display of his stuff. Instead, Fogler is just boring and full of the people that actually study... maybe I should be more like SK was and actually study, huh? Anyway... I hang out in the Union next to Fogler, so if anyone wants me to go on a quest to seek stuff from our boy steve, I can easily get in and look since i'm a student

Randall Flagg
12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Bleh, Fogler. I was so excited when I started school about it, and then i went in and i can't even find the SK stuff... i thought there would be like a display of his stuff. Instead, Fogler is just boring and full of the people that actually study... maybe I should be more like SK was and actually study, huh? Anyway... I hang out in the Union next to Fogler, so if anyone wants me to go on a quest to seek stuff from our boy steve, I can easily get in and look since i'm a student
I wouldn't be too consumed with the boring people, I'd just want help to point me to and allow me to examine the rare King items.

Ari_Racing
12-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Anything you could find, that'd be awesome! :)

Ari_Racing
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
So...anyone visited the Foggler library lately?

Tito_Villa
04-19-2010, 12:58 AM
I wish i could go :(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
News from the Mod at SKMB:

"Unfortunately, when boxes have been sent over the years to the Special Collections at Fogler (UMO) from the office there have been items mixed in that are by other writers, not just Stephen. That's the main reason we have a temporary moratorium on allowing visitors to go through the collection; we hope to find the time to go through those to sort out any items that don't belong there and are incorrectly attributed to Steve."

Looks like some of the info we collectors have could be wrong.

Brice
11-24-2010, 12:07 PM
That's kind of strange that they'd let non-King stuff get mixed in. You'd think it would be better organized. :beat:

e_taylor
11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
That's kind of strange that they'd let non-King stuff get mixed in. You'd think it would be better organized. :beat:

I'm done library school by the end of next year. Maybe they'll hire me to organize it!:drool::cyclops:

jhanic
11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
If I were King, I seriously rethink allowing the Folger Library people to handle my offerings. Such a thing happening indicates some serious deficiencies in their procedures.

John

herbertwest
11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd be happy to go and tidy it (if they pay the traveling;..)

Rahfa
11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
If I were King, I seriously rethink allowing the Folger Library people to handle my offerings. Such a thing happening indicates some serious deficiencies in their procedures.

John

The quote from the Moderator seems to indicate the boxes from King's office are what has the non-King material mixed in...if so, it's SK's office's screwup, not the library. If I were King, I would seriously rethink allowing Stephen King to handle my writings. Haha...

DanishCollector
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
One of the items the authors of Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished is They Bite, a screenplay, which was not written by King, but by Dan O'Bannon - a trial script, if you like, before he wrote Alien instead. I'm not sure why it's in King's collection, maybe he was given the chance to read and enjoy, comment, even rewrite, but so far I've only been able to Google a lot of articles where it clearly shows it's written by O'Bannon - who, by the way, never mentions King at all in connection with this script.

Tito_Villa
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Im hopefully going to be visiting maine next autum thanks to my Grandmother, i would love a look in that place!

Randall Flagg
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
You should check ahead, as they might not be available for public viewing at this time.

Tito_Villa
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the advice Jerome!

Ari_Racing
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes. The last news I got was that since there was such a mess with the boxes, the boxes were now not available for the public to see.
Maybe they're "back" already. Check with the University library.

Randall Flagg
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Fresh link: http://www.library.umaine.edu/speccoll/FindingAids/Kingstep.htm
Box 2702:
Misc. The Bone Men-By Joe Eastman/written by Joe King
Children of Tomorrow- by Naomi King

biomieg
01-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm still wondering about that CARRIE 'foundry proof'. Is that the mythical oblong 'true' proof?

DanishCollector
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
They still have the They Bite screenplay listed, but that was not written by King, but he probably got a copy from Dan O'Bannon to read and enjoy.

herbertwest
02-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Did you go in the end? :)

Ari_Racing
02-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Nope. I wasn't lucky enough at the end. Maybe next trip ;)

mattgreenbean
06-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Any updates to this in the past 6 years?

Ari_Racing
06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Still planning to go...one day :P

Ari_Racing
02-27-2023, 09:17 AM
Did SK's house already opened as a museum? I remember reading that the Foggler collection was to be moved there.

I know it'd not be open for anyone but I haven't heard about that project since it was announced a couple of years ago.

Bev Vincent
02-27-2023, 09:58 AM
COVID slowed down their plans. I was able to work with the curator to get some documents for my latest book, but I don't think anything is open.

herbertwest
02-27-2023, 10:09 AM
My understanding was that it would be archives (probably personal archives, and getting back the Fogler ones), not a museum

Randall Flagg
02-27-2023, 10:15 AM
My understanding was that it would be archives (probably personal archives, and getting back the Fogler ones), not a museum
That's what I understood. Certainly not open to the everyday person.

Ari_Racing
02-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I didn't know how to put it in English so I added it wasn't going to be opened.

Thanks Bev for the insight! Was this info added to your recently published book or an upcoming one?

Bev Vincent
02-27-2023, 11:34 AM
I think a lot of the material has been--or in the process of being--digitized. The documents I requested had already been scanned.