PDA

View Full Version : Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

e_taylor
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Note: This edit has been added on 11/29/2014 to clarify the intention of this thread.
This thread is to alerts members about troubles with those who buy and sell Stephen King and Stephen King related collectible items. The primary focus is on books, but is open for other collectible items related to Stephen King. Personal issues between members and Dealers, ebay sellers, and other Dt,org members need to be resolved outside the board.

We have a recommended book dealers thread and I know it was mentioned that we could start an ebay sellers to avoid type thread, so hopefully this isn't out of place. (If it is, feel free to trash it admins)

I was thinking a good format could be:

Name of Book dealer / eBay Seller:

Reason to Avoid:

And also, allow those sellers a chance to respond to their criticisms, should they stumble upon them.

I'd like to start with one that really got under my skin today, when I received the first of two books I ordered from them.

Name of Dealer: Coldspring Books (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SellerInfoPL?vci=6770772)

Reasons to Avoid: TERRIBLE packaging of books. I received a copy of "The Dunwich Horror and Others" by HP Lovecraft (the Easton Press version) which is worth about $125 - $175. It came loose in an envelope. Thats right - loose in an envelope. I understand some booksellers using envelopes because they are too cheap to protect a book properly in a box (well I dont GET it, but I have experienced it anyways) - but AT LEAST wrap the book in bubble wrap first! I mean, a $150 book really isn't the type of thing that should be banged around in transit! Needless to say, I'm pissed off - especially when I specifically requested the book be shipped boxed and there was a $3 up charge in the shipping.

So the Lovecraft book that I was really looking forward to adding to my collection that was in near fine condition when I purchased it, now has bumped corners, and a cocked spine. Heres to hoping the book I ordered the following day, Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" doesn't come in the same sorry state.

And thats why you should avoid Coldspring Books like the plague.

Rahfa
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't take that. Send it back and get a refund.

You're not obliged to take poorly shipped product, especially if it came damaged. I've never had to refund anybody on books I've sold through Abe (because I use pounds of bubble wrap), but I think they are on the side of the buyer - as long as you return the book.

Patrick
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
There is no excuse for negligence like that, e. :angry:

jemaher
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
It is impressive how bad some shipping is. My pet peeve is encircling the book in bubble wrap and the dreaded clear plastic shipping tape... a nightmare to unwrap.

Brice
03-27-2008, 03:26 PM
A couple months back I recieved a Stephen King book from France packaged in only wrapping paper and scotch tape. Needless to say my book described as "as new" wasn't when it got to me.

Chooch
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I completely aggree with you. What sellers dont seem to understand is that once they have your money for that book, that book is your property and should be treated as such. I hate those damn "Bubble Mailers" that sellers on Ebay seem to always want to ship in. I've asked sellers not to ship in those and they reply that there will be a $3 box charge....WHAT!!! If I ask a seller to ship a certain way I expect it to be shipped that way, if not, they get the book back (shipped back the same way as sent)..some have even said book was returned damaged...can you believe that....so now before I buy I ask or I only buy from sellers that I know will treat my purchase with care.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
E-Taylor, I applaud your thread, however, I would suggest you edit your initial post on an ongoing basis to list problem sellers. Otherwise this just becomes an ongoing complaint thread about individual transactions-damaged books-lousy packaging etc.

Chooch
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
RF.. you are true to your father...sorry didnt mean to pile on!

Matt
03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm just glad I got boxes to do all my shipping. :nana:

As far as I am concerned, you cannot put a book (or comic book) in any kind of wrap or envelope for shipping, must be a box.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
RF.. you are true to your father...sorry didnt mean to pile on!
No harm no foul.

Patrick
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I have no problem shipping/receiving single comic books in a bubble envelope, as long as they are bagged and boarded first. That is usually sufficient.

A book though is a different story, a box is always appropriate.

e_taylor
03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
E-Taylor, I applaud your thread, however, I would suggest you edit your initial post on an ongoing basis to list problem sellers. Otherwise this just becomes an ongoing complaint thread about individual transactions-damaged books-lousy packaging etc.

I certainly plan to do these little write-ups for every flawed bookseller I deal with. However, this is the first time in two years of buying on the internet that I've had a problem. If anyone else wants to share their experiences in the same format, I can keep editing them into the original post.

tippy4
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
A subject that is near and dear to my heart.

Here is my ebay ABOUT ME (http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=tippy4) page.

By the way, the book pictured in the page above is the slipcase from my numbered 'Salem's Lot. I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. There was almost no packing material and my mail carrier dropped this 8 lb book over my gate. The slipcase took most of the beating (and I was able to get a replacement slipcase...WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR)...but the book was damaged as well....and since I requested a specific number it is irreplaceable.

What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.

Rahfa
03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
It is impressive how bad some shipping is. My pet peeve is encircling the book in bubble wrap and the dreaded clear plastic shipping tape... a nightmare to unwrap.

Hold on now...you can't have it both ways. You want bubble wrap, I'll give you bubble wrap, but it's going to be taped up pretty securely.

But, I know you mean when a book arrives wrapped and wrapped again with tape, and then the whole thing's a mess...but as long as you're careful with scissors it's not a big deal. I ship books in plastic bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped fairly securely.

Given the choice, I would always prefer an aggressive bubble wrapping to no wrapping! haha...

Rahfa
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.

Yeah, I remember being pretty surprised mine arrived with no damage...he didn't know what he was doing back then, but he's figured it out since...doesn't help solve that experience though.

My pet peeve on shipping is when people sell/list a $2K item (for example) then tack on $20 for shipping...it's like, aren't you making enough on this? I don't even upsell on Abe, and I always lose a few bucks, but it's not worth the hassle.

Patrick
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM

Here is my ebay ABOUT ME (http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=tippy4) page.

By the way, the book pictured in the page above is the slipcase from my numbered 'Salem's Lot. I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. There was almost no packing material and my mail carrier dropped this 8 lb book over my gate. The slipcase took most of the beating (and I was able to get a replacement slipcase...WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR)...but the book was damaged as well....and since I requested a specific number it is irreplaceable.

What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.
Why the hell did they drop it over your gate? Don't they either leave it on your doorstep or leave one of those "package waiting at the post office" notes?

tippy4
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM

OK....my rant is over.
Why the hell did they drop it over your gate? Don't they either leave it on your doorstep or leave one of those "package waiting at the post office" notes?

Your guess is as good as mine. I have a locked gate in front of my front yard. The gate is about 5 feet high, so that package really had some momentum behind it. I am surprised it did not leave a smoking crater behind!

I have a locked parcel locker that the USPS can leave things in, or they can leave me a "package waiting at the post office" note...or they can leave it outside my gate....unfortunately, sometimes they drop it over the gate.

I should just have all my packages sent to my work where I know they will not be dropped or stolen!

NeedfulKings
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I guess with me, all books are not created equal. Bubble mailers are sufficient for low-cost, lighweight paperbacks, etc. I almost always use an additional wrapping of bubbles (twice the protection) and use minimal tape.

Heavier books, or expensive books ALWAYS get the "red-carpet" treatment with a strudy box, bubble wrap, popcorn, etc. I've never got complaints about packing. I've been complimented by one person who's box was left in the rain (the book was saved by the packaging) and one lady who's cat peed on the mailer (again, the packaging held up and the book was fine). Not so sure about the cat. :D

Just my two cents.

And, I've been on the receiving end of some bad packaging, both in mailers AND in boxes.

Cutter
04-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Another eBay seller to avoid

lucasscottmarknumeralone

A guy over on Horror Mall won the Stand S/N for under a thousand, and the guy has not delivered on the book.

tippy4
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM

lucasscottmarknumeralone

A guy over on Horror Mall won the Stand S/N for under a thousand, and the guy has not delivered on the book.

Both Calla Wolf and myself were offered The Green Mile (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120232385938&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=002) from this seller a couple weeks ago.

It was on ebay and Calla was the high bidder and I was the 2nd highest bidder. The seller ended the auction prematurely with Calla as the winner for $511.

Calla did not expect the seller to do this and the whole thing seemed fishy as it is a $1000 book, so he decided not to complete the sale.

Then the seller sent me a 2nd chance offer as I was the highest underbidder. I told the seller that if he wanted to ship the book first, I would pay him upon receipt. The seller said NO DEAL.

Looks like we were smart to pass on the deal.

Like they say, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

jemaher
04-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Hold on now...you can't have it both ways. You want bubble wrap, I'll give you bubble wrap, but it's going to be taped up pretty securely.

But, I know you mean when a book arrives wrapped and wrapped again with tape, and then the whole thing's a mess...but as long as you're careful with scissors it's not a big deal. I ship books in plastic bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped fairly securely.

Given the choice, I would always prefer an aggressive bubble wrapping to no wrapping! haha...

Ok, fine bubble wrap to your hearts content... but then to wrap it in CLEAR tape where you cant find the end is a pain in the ass. I have to take a knife to cut thru it and I'm always paranoid that I'm gonna cut the book underneath. at least a brown strapping tape allows me to see where the damn tape is.

BigCoffinHunter
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM

OK....my rant is over.

Your guess is as good as mine. I have a locked gate in front of my front yard. The gate is about 5 feet high, so that package really had some momentum behind it. I am surprised it did not leave a smoking crater behind!

I have a locked parcel locker that the USPS can leave things in, or they can leave me a "package waiting at the post office" note...or they can leave it outside my gate....unfortunately, sometimes they drop it over the gate.

I should just have all my packages sent to my work where I know they will not be dropped or stolen!

See, this is why I love American Express. In a situation like that, they'll help you out in whatever way you want, whether it's getting you a refund or threatening to reverse the charge if the book isn't repaired or a discount given or whatever you want.

Cutter
04-03-2008, 05:29 AM

lucasscottmarknumeralone

Both Calla Wolf and myself were offered The Green Mile (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120232385938&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=002) from this seller a couple weeks ago.

It was on ebay and Calla was the high bidder and I was the 2nd highest bidder. The seller ended the auction prematurely with Calla as the winner for $511.

Calla did not expect the seller to do this and the whole thing seemed fishy as it is a $1000 book, so he decided not to complete the sale.

Then the seller sent me a 2nd chance offer as I was the highest underbidder. I told the seller that if he wanted to ship the book first, I would pay him upon receipt. The seller said NO DEAL.

Yep, good call for you both. He's disputing it through PayPal right now. Hopefully he gets his money back.

Calla_Wolf
04-03-2008, 02:04 PM

lucasscottmarknumeralone

Yep, good call for you both. He's disputing it through PayPal right now. Hopefully he gets his money back.

:cool:

At the risk of sounding smug, I KNEW IT !!!!!!

When a seller PULLS an auction before the items...the VALUABLE items...have even reached 50% of current market price, alarm bells begin to ring

Chooch
04-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Well..it happened..I got burned from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270225135366&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

Auction says its #38 double signed and in New unread condition right? What I got was #267 Signed by Bev shipped in a unpadded envelope(from Romainia) and is dirty (used) condition. When I emailed seller he said to send it back within 12 days or he will leave negative feedback. Do you belive this crap!!! I have made a claim though PayPal and have reported him to Ebay (not that they will do anything) but at lease I can warn everyone here...

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2008, 11:21 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270225135366&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

Auction says its #38 double signed and in New unread condition right? What I got was #267 Signed by Bev shipped in a unpadded envelope(from Romainia) and is dirty (used) condition. When I emailed seller he said to send it back within 12 days or he will leave negative feedback. Do you belive this crap!!! I have made a claim though PayPal and have reported him to Ebay (not that they will do anything) but at lease I can warn everyone here...

Chooch,

Sorry that happened to you. However, don't give up on Ebay and Paypal. Speaking from very similar experience, they will go after this guy and investigate.

Take a look at his feedback. It's all the same people, over and over. That raises a flag with Ebay and Paypal right up front.

Don't give up. It takes Paypal about 30 days to get everything straight. I hope you marked it down as FRAUD since he didn't follow through with what his auction states.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Chooch
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Chooch,

Sorry that happened to you. However, don't give up on Ebay and Paypal. Speaking from very similar experience, they will go after this guy and investigate.

Take a look at his feedback. It's all the same people, over and over. That raises a flag with Ebay and Paypal right up front.

Don't give up. It takes Paypal about 30 days to get everything straight. I hope you marked it down as FRAUD since he didn't follow through with what his auction states.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

No I'm not going to give up on Ebay/PayPal. Overall I have very good and pleasurable people that I have delt with. I also understand that mistakes can and do happen...but this guy...wow. Now he is sending insulting/threating emails (which of course I will use) for what reason? I just want everyone to jot thiat name down and dont deal with him. Thanks for the kind words though
I am glad I have a place such as this to warn and to vent...:shoot:

Cutter
04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I know it’s too late, but one thing I usually look for is the location on eBay. Yours was Romania, a country I would consider risky. I usually avoid anything from Asia, because of scams and bootlegs. And Australia is just too expensive to have delivered to the US. I pretty much stick to the US, Canada, and the UK when ordering anymore. It’s just not worth the risk from another country.

Although I sell anywhere in the world and have had some great transactions with people in East Europe and Indonesia, heck if they pay I’ll send it anywhere. lol

and sorry to hear about the troubles Chooch, that just sucks.I just reported an item not received to eBay and Paypal today for not receiving a audio cd of The Girl Who Loves Tom Gorden. it's been over a month and they've ignored my last three emails.

Randall Flagg
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Be diligent with your claim, and IMMEDIATELY give negative feedback.
Don't worry about retaliation. Your negotiating power at this time is to file the claims, document everything, and leave a neg-the buyer will want it rescinded and there lies extra power to you.

Calla_Wolf
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
It might help to know you're not the only one to have dealings with this person - I'm still waiting for a book off him...not holding my breath any more :)

Chooch
04-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks everyone...great advice. I will continue to pursue this matter for sure. I received a email from him last night (much more subdude) saying that he would refund my money by the end of next week and I could ship the book to a US address. I find it intriguing that he has a US address but the funny part is "...by the end of next week" I guess he has to sell another item before he can give me my money LOL. Well Calla...at least I have good company:smile

natehorning
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't know how many of you are familiar with Postsecret but it is a website where people send in an anonymous postcard telling one of their secrets. It is at times touching, sad, creepy or funny but this next card fits this topic so perfect I had to share it here.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/558/efake.jpg

If you haven't visited the site I would recommend it. A new batch is posted every Sunday at http://www.postsecret.com

Nate

Patrick
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
:doh: At least someone knows what they're doing.

In addition to the website, there are a couple PostSecret hardcover books out there as well. They are very thought-provoking.

Matt
04-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Great stuff! I have one, Dora and I love it.

You gave me that didn't you Patrick? :wub:

Chooch
04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Very,Very emotional,thought provoking charged Posts..:orely: ..I want to get one of the books!

Patrick
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Great stuff! I have one, Dora and I love it.

You gave me that didn't you Patrick? :wub:
Si' Senor, it's been two or three years ago now. :couple:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-31-2009, 12:32 AM
I just wanted to warn everyone about this online company. I recently purchased 1984 through their website. I was charged the purchase price of 14.40 on the day of purchase 7/22. I learned today that the company made additional charges to my credit card on 7/24 and 8/24 for 19.95 each. As I had not purchased anything else from this company, I called them, and was told that these charges were a "membership fee", and that I had passed the 3 day free trial period and that the fee was non-refundable. After much debate, they finally agreed to refund one month of fees. (19.95) but that the rest would have to be handled by their refunds department. After researching the company I found that there have been many complaints about this company for the same reasons. Then, after filing a complaint with the BBB, I learned that the company has a BBB rating of an F with 95 reported complaints for the same type of problem. Anyway, as we are a society of book lovers, I thought I would issue a warning to all of you.

Beware of DBS books..

In fact....Fuck DBS books

Room 217 Caretaker
08-31-2009, 02:07 AM
I just wanted to warn everyone about this online company. I recently purchased 1984 through their website. I was charged the purchase price of 14.40 on the day of purchase 7/22. I learned today that the company made additional charges to my credit card on 7/24 and 8/24 for 19.95 each. As I had not purchased anything else from this company, I called them, and was told that these charges were a "membership fee", and that I had passed the 3 day free trial period and that the fee was non-refundable. After much debate, they finally agreed to refund one month of fees. (19.95) but that the rest would have to be handled by their refunds department. After researching the company I found that there have been many complaints about this company for the same reasons. Then, after filing a complaint with the BBB, I learned that the company has a BBB rating of an F with 95 reported complaints for the same type of problem. Anyway, as we are a society of book lovers, I thought I would issue a warning to all of you.

Beware of DBS books..

What Credit Card company do you use?

I would report unauthorized charge to the CC company. Let them fight it out.

I've had very little luck with BBB in any area.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-31-2009, 02:59 AM
my cc company said that I could dispute the charge, but that the company would probably claim that it was a legitimate contractual agreement. Regardless, I will dispute the charge. I just dont think it will do any good.

mia/susannah
08-31-2009, 03:53 AM
I am sorry that happened. Thank you for warning everyone about that company.

Randall Flagg
08-31-2009, 05:42 AM
Sorry to hear of the problem. As mentioned I would dispute it through the Credit Card company-you have a better chance than you might think.
I'll leave this thread up a bit, then merge it into the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482) thread that already exists.

Room 217 Caretaker
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
my cc company said that I could dispute the charge, but that the company would probably claim that it was a legitimate contractual agreement. Regardless, I will dispute the charge. I just dont think it will do any good.

What contract :lol::rofl::lol:

Have them produce the contract you entered in. They can't.

Don't give up. Hidden fees like this are no different than theft from the card.

JMO

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
08-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear of the problem. As mentioned I would dispute it through the Credit Card company-you have a better chance than you might think.

I'll leave this thread up a bit, then merge it into the Book Dealers / eBay Members to Avoid like the Plague (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2482) thread that already exists.

My thoughts exactly (on both counts).

Best to you on a successful resolution, BROWNINGS CHILDE.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I wasnt sure if we had a thread for this, but now I will go through this thread carefully.

Randall Flagg
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Bump to an underutilized thread.

wizardsrainbow
04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks Jerome for this. Very timely.

Perhaps the members here can help to suggest how to deal with an eBay person I am having a problem with.

An eBayer (leaving out ID for now) from Canada listed 2 books I was interested in...S/L Skeleton Crew and S/L Buick 8. SC was listed at $499.99 and Buick 8 at $199.99. I offered $600 for both + S/H and we settled on $700 shipped from Canada. The books came today. The Buick 8 traycase has 2 corners scrunched (not horrible, but damaged nevertheless). The Skeleton Crew book itself has a small spot where the cover was rubbed raw creating a flaw. The auction links are below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeleton-Crew-Stephen-King-Scream-Press-Limited-Ed-/200461284753?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2eac6c7591

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Buick-8-Signed-Ltd-Ed-CD-Pub-/200461284596?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2eac6c74f4

I e-mailed the seller this:

Hi-

I got the Skeleton Crew and From a Buick 8 books today. There were some noticeable flaws on both books that were not listed in your eBay descriptions.
On the Buick 8, two of the traycase corners were scrunched (the front top right and the read upper left near the spine).

On the Skeleton Crew, when I removed the dust jacket from the book, there is a small part of the book cover surface that is rubbed away and is definitely noticeable.
I am sorry to complain, but I am quite particular about the condition of the books I purchase. Both auctions stated very fine or "as new" condition and did not note any flaws. I am willing to keep the books but would like some compensation for the damage. (I can send you pictures if you wish, but I will need a regular e-mail to send them to). I would like $100 refund and would like to resolve this in a way that we both can be satisfied. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you very much for working with me on this issue.

Best wishes,

David

He/She responded with this:

Dear wizardsrainbow,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation of receipt.

As regards your complaints, I don't know what to say. Let me summarize what I want to say with the help of a few pointers:

1. The books were listed as "As New" and not "Brand New" - thus the books are used and may have minor imperfections and in no way can be termed as brand new.

2. The faults that you did mention have never been noticed by me - although I do believe you completely, however what I fail to understand is that you are actually seeking a compensation for "faults" that were never noticed by me. I am a collector myself and am not a professional seller. I am parting with a major portion of my collection to provide space for my new books.

3. Regarding the total price that you did pay, it was already heavily discounted. In fact, I received an offer of $1100 for the two books within hours after removing the listings (even prior to dispatching the books). However, I wanted to honour the deal and hence did not ask for any additional amount for the books. in fact, just FYI, I purchased just the SC about two years back for $850.

4. The faults that you have mentioned (with the traycase of FAB or some rubbing on the book cover in case of SC)are very negligible. I do not think, a compensation needs to be paid for books that were listed as "As New". After going through your email, I even called up Paypal to confirm what they mean by "As New" - they said the same thing what I do believe. As per Paypal, minor imperfections are common in case of books listed as "As New" as they are assumed to be used.

I sincerely hope you would understand and relate to it.

Thanks a lot.

I think the response is total crap saying that "As New" means the books can have flaws. And, frankly, I don't care that they got a higher offer or that they paid a higher $$ to acquire the books.

My perfect feedback rating is VERY important to me and I do not want to get into a pissing match with the seller. It looks as though the brick wall has already been built there. So....suggestions on how to handle this. These books are for Betts and I know I can get my $700 back even with me noting the flaws (really are not bad), but I've sure lost my profit that I envisioned for these 2.

Suggestions people??? Thanks for your input.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Jerome for this. Very timely.

Perhaps the members here can help to suggest how to deal with an eBay person I am having a problem with.

An eBayer (leaving out ID for now) from Canada listed 2 books I was interested in...S/L Skeleton Crew and S/L Buick 8. SC was listed at $499.99 and Buick 8 at $199.99. I offered $600 for both + S/H and we settled on $700 shipped from Canada. The books came today. The Buick 8 traycase has 2 corners scrunched (not horrible, but damaged nevertheless). The Skeleton Crew book itself has a small spot where the cover was rubbed raw creating a flaw. The auction links are below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeleton-Crew-Stephen-King-Scream-Press-Limited-Ed-/200461284753?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2eac6c7591

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Buick-8-Signed-Ltd-Ed-CD-Pub-/200461284596?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2eac6c74f4

I e-mailed the seller this:

Hi-

I got the Skeleton Crew and From a Buick 8 books today. There were some noticeable flaws on both books that were not listed in your eBay descriptions.
On the Buick 8, two of the traycase corners were scrunched (the front top right and the read upper left near the spine).

On the Skeleton Crew, when I removed the dust jacket from the book, there is a small part of the book cover surface that is rubbed away and is definitely noticeable.
I am sorry to complain, but I am quite particular about the condition of the books I purchase. Both auctions stated very fine or "as new" condition and did not note any flaws. I am willing to keep the books but would like some compensation for the damage. (I can send you pictures if you wish, but I will need a regular e-mail to send them to). I would like $100 refund and would like to resolve this in a way that we both can be satisfied. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thank you very much for working with me on this issue.

Best wishes,

David

He/She responded with this:

Dear wizardsrainbow,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation of receipt.

As regards your complaints, I don't know what to say. Let me summarize what I want to say with the help of a few pointers:

1. The books were listed as "As New" and not "Brand New" - thus the books are used and may have minor imperfections and in no way can be termed as brand new.

2. The faults that you did mention have never been noticed by me - although I do believe you completely, however what I fail to understand is that you are actually seeking a compensation for "faults" that were never noticed by me. I am a collector myself and am not a professional seller. I am parting with a major portion of my collection to provide space for my new books.

3. Regarding the total price that you did pay, it was already heavily discounted. In fact, I received an offer of $1100 for the two books within hours after removing the listings (even prior to dispatching the books). However, I wanted to honour the deal and hence did not ask for any additional amount for the books. in fact, just FYI, I purchased just the SC about two years back for $850.

4. The faults that you have mentioned (with the traycase of FAB or some rubbing on the book cover in case of SC)are very negligible. I do not think, a compensation needs to be paid for books that were listed as "As New". After going through your email, I even called up Paypal to confirm what they mean by "As New" - they said the same thing what I do believe. As per Paypal, minor imperfections are common in case of books listed as "As New" as they are assumed to be used.

I sincerely hope you would understand and relate to it.

Thanks a lot.

I think the response is total crap saying that "As New" means the books can have flaws. And, frankly, I don't care that they got a higher offer or that they paid a higher $$ to acquire the books.

My perfect feedback rating is VERY important to me and I do not want to get into a pissing match with the seller. It looks as though the brick wall has already been built there. So....suggestions on how to handle this. These books are for Betts and I know I can get my $700 back even with me noting the flaws (really are not bad), but I've sure lost my profit that I envisioned for these 2.

Suggestions people??? Thanks for your input.

The good news is, your Ebay feedback CANNOT go negative as a buyer. The seller either can leave excellent or none at all so don't worry about that part. You however have the upper hand in leaving negative feedback and I would let the seller know you don't want to go in that direction but will if needed.

As for his "let me help with a few pointers" comment is pure BULLSHIT. If these sellers had any idea the group they are dealing with here they would keep stupidity in check.

As for the offer he received after agreeing to yours. Have him give you that contact so you can sell the set to them. I almost guarantee he can't produce the buyers name.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Several issues here:

First - I wouldn't worry about your feedback rating being affected. Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback. I think you are good there.

Second - She is full of crap regarding her descriptions and definition of "as new."

Third - Her return policy states that you get "merchandise credit" for returns. I'm not sure that is legal. I think she is bound to refund your money if you ask for it.

Fourth - You are not happy with the books and probably would not be happy selling them to a valued customer. If she won't cooperate I would ship the books back to her with delivery confirmation, tell my credit card company what is happening, get a conditional credit on my account and let the professionals deal with her sorry ass.

Just my opinion. There are certainly other ways to handle it but she sounds like a real loser and I would avoid a war of words which will likely get you nowhere.

wizardsrainbow
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
So, since this was an "off eBay" transaction (you see there were no actual bids, that means I cannot leave negative feedback either, right? Actually, just answered my own question. The auctions do not appear in My eBay for which I need to leave feedback.

I will ask him/her for the "other buyer." I thought of that as well. Otherwise, I can probably let them "know who I am" and I'm not some novice dipshit (maybe I am?) and give em both barrels :shoot:. I don't dare ask for a refund as I wouldn't trust it at this point and don't think they would refund without wanting the books back first.

**edit** Bob, you posted while I was writing. Good food for thought.

Sam
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
If you paid with your credit card though Wiz, you can get put in a refund request for the merchandise not matching what was described. Like was suggested earlier, get a delivery confirmation AND signature requirement if you can. Since this would go to Canada, I don't know what they will do. If you cannot get a confirmation of delivery through the US Postal Service, I know you can most likely get it through FedEx or UPS. In your position, I would suggest the return of the books and a refund of the purchase price. I would also contact your credit card company to stop/reverse the charges.

Since this purchase was "off the ebay grid" you have no worries at all regarding feedback one way or another. Oh, and I would let the woman know exactly who you are and also (since you know who SHE is) let her know that if she would like to do any sort of business (either buying or selling) with Betts that she needs to wake up and smell the coffee falling in her lap.

demorgan
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
It seems that this week is the week for the assholes to come out of the dark on ebay...Im having a little of a pissing contest with a selller myself.
the dumbass put a 20the century signed arc in a fucking flimsy shipping envelope..it came all dog earred up and bend up to page 133...sent the book back to him..i hope he does the honarble thing and give me a refund.

Randall Flagg
04-23-2010, 04:33 PM
David, the seller posted pictures that showed (at least in the 'From a Buick 8') faults.
The description was faulty, but-more and more I see buyers upset over faults on a book that may have been overlooked, but certainly the price (s) were fair.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Let's have a discussion about how books are listed and described:

It's important to understand this is just an example so please don't attack this guy. I'm just using his live Ebay listing to compare his near fine Pristine comment to his pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-book-EYES-DRAGON-1st-dj-FINE-/360250538234?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item53e09af8fa

Read his description and look at the picture of the jacket. Would you consider it to be NEAR FINE (Near Pristine) dust jacket like the seller is saying?

Mulleins

jhanic
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Actually, I think I would define the dust jacket as near fine. It's certainly better than very good. The wear at the top and the minor dents at the bottom are what make the difference, to me, near fine rather than fine.

John

Sam
04-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Looking at the description, I would have to say that the problem is probably lack of knowing how to catagorize the book via the "Mint/NM", "Fine/NF", and "Good" conditions. Everyone should understand the word "Poor" and sellers know that collectors don't want poor books. But beyond that what the regular person sees as Fine and what a collector sees as Fine are likely two different things. A small tear that has been repaired with tape is fine with most people who just want a copy of the story in a nice looking edition so the seller, who thinks the same way) says it's "Fine" not understanding that to hardcore collectors that means Pristine, as in no tears (even repaired ones), dents, dings, and even no creases in the dust jacket.

But in the comic world, "Fine" doesn't mean the same as "Mint". Or it didn't whe I was selling in the comic world. "Fine" was a step down from "Mint" and was the condition that most books on the shelf are considered to be in. "Mint" condition books had to be searched and scrounged for, even brand new on the shelf.

Either way, I think a lot of trouble comes from a misunderstanding/disagreement of the definitions of the condition descriptors. (I hope I used the right word there.)

jhanic
04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.firsts.com/Grading.html

John

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
According to the grading scale, wouldn't his jacket be considered Very Good and not near fine (pristine) as he claims?

jhanic
04-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Agreed and this is a MAJOR seller with 2 large bookstores.

I guess a collector see's one thing and a seller see's something else. Even though he thinks he is giving lessons in buying.

Mulleins

divemaster
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
My 2 cents and random thoughts:

The above eBay seller's description of "new" vs. "as new" is complete bullshit.

I think as a buyer, if you are not satisfied with what you received for the price you paid, you are certainly entitled to a refund. However, I'm not a fan of the "I'll keep the books but give me some of my money back" approach. If I'm the seller in that case, I say "I'm sorry you are not satisified with the books; please send them back and I'll refund your money and return shipping."

If the seller did that, then he could turn around and re-sell to the $1,100 guy, right? Of course we all know that guy doesn't exist. The seller seems like a real weinerhead. I've had this seller's auctions on my watch list with a note to contemplate a bid or offer a time or two. I'm glad for the info here about this person.

Regarding "fine," "near fine," etc. I love the ones that say: "DJ with crease, minor soiling, and small tear; else fine." HAHA.

shibus
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I am a Seller. As well as a Collector. As a collector I look for what interests me. And I can understand why some other Collectors may have issues with areas of a Book or DJ that might not be important to me. As a Seller I've been known to make a mistake from time to time too. Overlook a Bump, A Tear. Some Mark or Crease. It's a Bitch being an imperfekt person in an imperfekt world aint it? But I have a simple way of dealing with that. If a buyer is not happy with one of my Books, for any reason, They can return it and I'll refund their $$. Personally, I'd rather have Friends and Customers than the Rath of DT.Com...........

Fsmdr
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
David,

I think I think her verbiage on 'as new' and 'new' is cow dung as well. If I had sent a book to a buyer, if it was my mistake on some part, I would have taken it back and given a full refund. If the issue is not my error, for example a buyer once asked to return a book because she has forgotten that she already owned it, the least I would have done is given the refund minus shipping on the return on the item.

However, not to seem to let the seller off the hook, if you decide to ship it back, you would still be out of a substantial shipping charge in getting a signature confirmation delivery to Canada. Which will not be compensated back to you. About $30-$50 I am guessing?. My 2 cents, if you are confident that you can sell them at Betts, list it at a suitable price for them with full description of the flaws. Someone else will be happy to own them at a discount, even knowing the flaws.

Regarding sellers, is there a thread on recommended seller?. I have a seller who is doing above and beyond in his dealing with me on a damaged shipment from UK that I am very impressed with and would like to recommend.

CurtSeattle
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
"A clean, bright, tight with NO previous owner's markings nor signs of previous use. Very clean inside and out. Tips and ends sharp. No dog ears, no smudges, no signs of handling"

He is outright lying now. Clearly you will get a refund from EBay if not from him. You have buyer's protection for items not as described.

A water ring from his stupid coffee mug or whatever is CLEARLY signs of previous use....clearly obvious previous owner's markings. He is being unscrupulous.

The cost of shipping it back is a pain.

I just went through this myself. The guy was rude to me and the item was not as described.

Just now I see he has relisted his auction after getting the book back from me!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Signed-Under-Dome-Limited-Edition-Mint-/190376882662?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item2c5358b1e6

Notice the word MINT in the freakin Auction title. The slipcase is bent and the book spine is bent where the slipcase is bent!! You can see it through the shrinkwrap. He tried to not refund me money and I had to speak with PayPal and EBay and they agreed finally and then I made the guy wait forever before shipping it back to him because he called me a cheat. hahaha! I told him the day I got it in a nice way that it wasn't MINT and that I would just like a refund and then he called me a cheat. That got me mad, so he got to wait forever for me to send it back (basically until the very last day I could send it back and then I called EBay and got an extension and made him wait even longer). Seems he didn't learn his lesson as there is the auction again with the words MINT. sigh.....

Room 217 Caretaker
04-24-2010, 03:39 AM
OK. Excellent points from all sides.

Let's continue with the next question using the SAME seller as mentioned above in post #53:

I receive a book I'm not happy with that cost $50 with shipping. The damage wasn't disclosed properly. I contact the seller and explain my disappointment. The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

What is your thoughts on this? If the damage wasn't disclosed properly why should the buyer be out anything?

Again, I'm using the link in post #53 as if HE IS the same seller I was having problems with.

Mulleins

e_taylor
04-24-2010, 04:35 AM
OK. Excellent points from all sides.

Let's continue with the next question using the SAME seller as mentioned above in post #53:

I receive a book I'm not happy with that cost $50 with shipping. The damage wasn't disclosed properly. I contact the seller and explain my disappointment. The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

What is your thoughts on this? If the damage wasn't disclosed properly why should the buyer be out anything?

Again, I'm using the link in post #53 as if HE IS the same seller I was having problems with.

Mulleins

You sly devil you.

carlosdetweiller
04-24-2010, 04:48 AM
The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

The buyer should not be out anything if there is a mistake in the listing. But if the buyer and seller disagree (i.e. seller says NF, buyer says F) then I am usually happy to pay return shipping. If you use media mail for the return it usually doesn't amount to that much.

Here is where I recommend paying for everything via credit card. PayPal defaults to your bank account for payment but I always make the switch to credit card payment.

I (like most of the people reading this forum) am pretty reasonable when it comes to working things out. I understand differences of opinion on grading, mailing delays for good reason, etc. But I can smell trouble pretty quickly....I've been on eBay for 12 years. At the first hint of a problem I notify my credit card's customer service, send the item back with delivery confirmation, and let the professionals handle it from there. They immediately apply a conditional credit to my card and I have never had a claim denied.

I use my credit card (through PayPal) for even very small purchases. I feel like this service is something I am paying for and I don't hesitate to use it when necessary.

e_taylor
04-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Some gems from his feedback. Not a ton of negative, but still unimpressed positives:

"Book arrived ok...Pristine? There were a few flaws. It'll do, Thank you!"

"A more detailed description would have been helpful"

"ISSUED REFUND,BUYER NEVER RETURNED ITEM ,FICTIOUS CLAIMS,BUYER STOLE THIS ITEM" - from a seller

"Well packed, but from Hawaii? Thought book location was CA. Extra postage paid?"

"Books not as described. Slipcovers on two shoddy. Several books not fine."

"More wear to the dustjacket than stated, but otherwise good condition."

"Carefully wrapped delivery, but item was not perfect. Not exactly as described."

"Returned it em transaction mutuality canceled, thanks Russell for fast refund." - interesting that he used to take returns.

"volume 2 has a broken back clearly visible from the exterior."

"A disappointment.Spots on numerous pages;described as very clean.Overstated."

Surely all these ebay members were sued for slander.

All joking aside, a lot of these problems can be attributed to honest mistakes/omissions. With the volume he seems to be selling, thats not a huge percentage of buyers with issues. But as a seller you have to realize that mistakes happen and customers might not be happy, and you HAVE to give a refund in those cases.

Brice
04-24-2010, 05:13 AM
:clap:

Randall Flagg
04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
A blast from the past:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1268/mapg1.jpg

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4676/mapg2.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6880/mapg3g.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/25/mapg4.jpg

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8275/mathestand.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5619/macarrioncomfort.jpg

jhanic
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I STILL have bad memories of him. He tried to rip me off for more than $300 a number of years ago. Luckily, I contested the charge against my credit card and won. He kind of disappeared right after he ripped me off--no answer to calls, etc. I wonder if he's still around. If so, avoid him like the plague!

John

disel24
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Autrey, I remember him, the Hullabaloo that followed him around. I think I remember that John. This was back when TDT.net was still around if I remember correctly

carlosdetweiller
05-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Autrey is still around. He has been using the same eBay user ID for quite a while now. It is a1981a.

Here is a link to one of his current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110526526340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ari_Racing
05-01-2010, 07:49 AM
What's the deal with him?
What happened?

tippy4
05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I recently won an auction for a signed 1st edition of The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon. I have been looking for this for a while, as the copy I have was a signed 2nd edition.

I got it for $145.50 shipped from seller SIGNATURESINTIME, and sent him the following email after I won the auction and had sent payment....

Payment is sent.

Please ship in a sturdy well-packed cardboard box. Please pack tightly so book cannot move at all inside of box. Condition is VERY important to me. I do not mind waiting an extra day if that is what it takes to pack it properly.

Feedback will be left upon receipt.

Thanks again.

tippy4

It showed up today in a padded mailer and damaged (bumped corner).

Here is the follow up email I sent him...

Unbelieveable.

I give you specific (and completely reasonable) instructions on how to package my purchase, and you ignore them.

Not only that, but you do not bother to TELL me that you are going to ignore them.

If you had, I would have cancelled our transaction.

I told you "condition is VERY important to me. I do not mind waiting an extra day if that is what it takes to pack it properly."

I told you to ship it in a well-packed cardboard box, and instead you shipped my $145.50 purchase (an item YOU valued at $195 originally) in a cheap padded mailer.

As a resut, one of the corners got bumped in transit.

For less than 50 cents more, you could have shipped my purchase in a box, prevented my purchase from being damaged, and saved yourself the negative feedback I am planning on leaving for you.

As you are a collectable dealer, I am simply amazed by the lack of common sense displayed here.

tippy4

I am not even going to give the seller the chance to "make it right".

You can't fix stupid.

e_taylor
05-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Agreed. Really no excuse for poor packaging.

Newby sellers can claim they didn't know better, and they probably don't - but any time spent on eBay will make most sellers with common sense WANT to pack things well in boxes.

Either way, with the message you sent, it should have been done.

jhanic
05-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I think you are completely right in that, tippy!

(Sorry the book got messed up.)

John

JRM
05-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I never buy from Ebay and I only buy from REALLY popular and good rated sellers from Amazon. I mostly stick to Craigslist. Lol. We meet, we exchange cash for books, we're done.

In fact, I've gotten most of my Stephen King books from Craigslist (about 30) -- all hardcover -- for $5 each, at most. Gotta love bargain shopping. But shopping online usually scares me away.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-09-2010, 03:07 AM
I never buy from Ebay and I only buy from REALLY popular and good rated sellers from Amazon. I mostly stick to Craigslist. Lol. We meet, we exchange cash for books, we're done.

In fact, I've gotten most of my Stephen King books from Craigslist (about 30) -- all hardcover -- for $5 each, at most. Gotta love bargain shopping. But shopping online usually scares me away.

JRM

You are really limiting yourself by not using Ebay. To every bad seller (I've met a couple in my time) you will find 1000 good ones including everyone on dt.com

I've had issues with high rated sellers at Amazon, Abebooks, etc. Shoot, Amazon themselves have a lot to be desired when it comes to packing.

Ratings don't really mean that much. I always try to strike up a conversation through contact to get a feel for the person before bidding if at all possible. Of course, buy it now on a quick sale item won't give me that option but that is the chance I take if I want the item before it disappears.

Tippy has every right to be mad, especially since he gave instructions and why. I think bubble wrap and box should be a requirement on ALL shipping from Ebay. Now the real test for the seller, will he respond with an apology and offer a refund or will he argue, or worse, no communications at all. If he argues or won't communicate, the wrath of dt.com will be on his head (it's worse than Captain Trips)

Honestly JRM, I would rather take my chances with Ebay over meeting people off Craiglist. You could be setting yourself up for a meeting with the Dark Man himself.

All the above is my opinions of course.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

carlosdetweiller
05-09-2010, 03:47 AM
I've certainly been on the receiving end of some pretty bad packing and have had items banged up as a result. And I sympathize with tippy4 in this instance. I'm sorry your book got bumped.

However, to play the devil's advocate, I would say that special packaging requests should be discussed before the auction is over.....not after.

One of the things I often forget is that 99% of sellers on eBay are rank amateurs. There is no screening process to be a seller on eBay. Anyone can do it and they do. The seller may have the book already packed up poorly and ready to have a shipping label stuck on it prior to the end of auction. If that were the case and some buyer e-mailed me with his shipping wish list after the auction was over I would probably be a bit irritated.

I usually (but not always) contact the seller as soon as I see something I plan to bid on and ask him about packaging, timeliness, etc. before I bid. I wish I would always do it but I don't. Maybe some food for thought.

tippy4
05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Agreed. Really no excuse for poor packaging.

Newby sellers can claim they didn't know better, and they probably don't - but any time spent on eBay will make most sellers with common sense WANT to pack things well in boxes.

Either way, with the message you sent, it should have been done.

This seller is not a newbie and has over 6,000 feedbacks....all positive.

However, to play the devil's advocate, I would say that special packaging requests should be discussed before the auction is over.....not after.

That is just not realistic as I win less than 10% of the auctions I bid on. I would be wasting HUGE amounts of time.

HOWEVER, I think that on all future won auctions, I will send my packing requirements over BEFORE I send payment, and tell the seller that once he/she agrees to my terms, I will send over payment.

Tippy has every right to be mad, especially since he gave instructions and why. I think bubble wrap and box should be a requirement on ALL shipping from Ebay. Now the real test for the seller, will he respond with an apology and offer a refund or will he argue, or worse, no communications at all. If he argues or won't communicate, the wrath of dt.com will be on his head (it's worse than Captain Trips)

The seller did apologize, and did offer my money back...but that is not good enough. I am not going to waste my time packing the book up, going to the post office and writing several emails just to be back to the point I was before the sale took place.

About the only thing that would make me a truly satisfied customer at this point would be if the seller had another copy that he could send me...covered the postage cost for me to send back the damaged book, and compensated me for my time spent on this fiasco.

Rahfa
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Uh...once you bid and win on an item, you've lost that right to negotiate shipping terms not explained in the listing...you can suggest, but you can't demand.

You gotta email before the listing ends...or like you said, you can demand a refund later, and get justifiably annoyed. Part of the buyer's responsibility is to get this taken care of BEFORE buying the item...sorry...

You have the right to demand a refund, of course...but this could have been solved beforehand.

You're a seller just like me, and if any buyer - after the auction ended - came up with new shipping demands, etc., I would absoutely, 100 percent not ship the item, and cancel the auction because of bidder nonpayment.

Fsmdr
05-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Most likely, the seller did not even read the email on packaging that Tippy sent him. I do avoid buying from large volume sellers. They are so busy filling their orders that emails often goes unanswered or I am guessing unread.

I also sent packaging instruction. Usually right after I sent in payment. Most of the individual sellers acknowledge the email and shipped in in the requested packaging.

I did purchase 4 collectible books this month from the UK through a private transaction. It was also my fault that I did not request it be packed in a box (who would ship hardcovers overseas in a bubble mailer?!). I guess some people do.....and as a result of the bubble mailer, 2 of the books got bumped. But the seller was extremely professional and offered to reship me the 2 books at no charge.

I feel for you Tippy, I would have been just as upset.

Fsmdr
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
You're a seller just like me, and if any buyer - after the auction ended - came up with new shipping demands, etc., I would absoutely, 100 percent not ship the item, and cancel the auction because of bidder nonpayment.

Just my opinion, of course. I think had the request have been to ship the item in a different carrier or speed than what the buyer had paid for would be to me, an unreasonable shipping demand. However, if the buyer politely request a reasonable packaging that I can provide easily, I see no reason to fulfil their request. But you would have replied a yes or no to the request anyway, or cancel the auction as you said and that is what is lacking in Tippy's case.

Rahfa
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Just my opinion, of course. I think had the request have been to ship the item in a different carrier or speed than what the buyer had paid for would be to me, an unreasonable shipping demand. However, if the buyer politely request a reasonable packaging that I can provide easily, I see no reason to fulfil their request. But you would have replied a yes or no to the request anyway, or cancel the auction as you said and that is what is lacking in Tippy's case.

Yeah, you're right - my view isn't as extreme as I made it sound...(you meant 'not fulfill their request,' I assume).

Basically, though, if an auction ends and I have a winner, and that winner says "I'm only paying once you acknowledge that you are shipping in such-and-such a way," then I'd be seriously put off...

Would I cancel the auction? Now that I think about it, probably not. I'd be annoyed, and wonder "why didn't this lazy buyer take two minutes to confirm this with me before bidding?"

Randall Flagg
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
The seller did apologize, and did offer my money back...but that is not good enough.....
I think that is a fair offer.
If you go to (or order from) Sears, and are dissatisfied with the item; then receive a refund offer, to ask for more is punitive. You just can't expect reimbursement for travel time, frustration etc. Particularly from a private seller, in a likely one time transaction.
I hear and understand your frustration, but I don't see you as suffering any damage-tort. (The book was the only thing that was hurt.)
At least you have a place (www.thedarktower.org), to come and vent. :grouphug:

tippy4
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Uh...once you bid and win on an item, you've lost that right to negotiate shipping terms not explained in the listing...you can suggest, but you can't demand.

You gotta email before the listing ends...or like you said, you can demand a refund later, and get justifiably annoyed. Part of the buyer's responsibility is to get this taken care of BEFORE buying the item...sorry...

You have the right to demand a refund, of course...but this could have been solved beforehand.

Rahfa...one of the few times we have disagreed.

I have the right to expect safe delivery of my merchandise.

I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top. I just wanted my somewhat expensive item shipped safely.

Bottom line, the seller should have either followed my requests, and if not willing to do so, should have let me know and given me the right to cancel the transaction. He could get a final value fee refund from ebay, and I would have gladly paid his listing fee to avoid the frustration.

(I see that you already sort of eased up on your position a few posts up, but just could not let your original post go by)

demorgan
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Nothing wrong with requesting extra protection for your purchase...or asking for a book to be packed in a certain way..especially a medium to high value item. Ive been asked many times and had no problem explaining how the book would be packed up and shipped. On the flip side....I would be grateful that the seller refunded your money without any hastle.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top.

Yeah, it was a blue bow when I last sold you a book. :unsure:

Rahfa
05-11-2010, 05:27 AM

Rahfa...one of the few times we have disagreed.

I have the right to expect safe delivery of my merchandise.

I did not make any odd or unusual requests such as demanding that the book be shipped in a purple box with a green bow on top. I just wanted my somewhat expensive item shipped safely.

Bottom line, the seller should have either followed my requests, and if not willing to do so, should have let me know and given me the right to cancel the transaction. He could get a final value fee refund from ebay, and I would have gladly paid his listing fee to avoid the frustration.

(I see that you already sort of eased up on your position a few posts up, but just could not let your original post go by)

I agree with your general point...I think what I didn't agree with was when you said you'd send payment only after the seller agreed with your terms - after the auction was won.

Obviously, the seller should accomodate any reasonable requests, but you can't negotiate these terms after the fact...you can request, but that's all.

The final value and listing fee is incidental and irrelevant...it's a lost sale if the buyer backs out, and all this should be discussed DURING the auction.

tippy4
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I hear your point about discussing these things before the auction ends, but like I said, I don't win most of the auctions I bid on...and would just be wasting my time (but saving myself potential frustration if I won).

Mostly, my system of sending my packing requirements after the auction ends has worked for me. This recent situation is the exception and not the rule.

Rahfa
05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I guess it all comes down to tone...if somebody emailed me - before payment - and said "hey, you're going to ship this in a padded box, right? I mean, charge me an extra buck or two if you need it, but make sure it's safe..." then I'm sure I'd be fine with that.

That would be a lot different than saying "I'm not paying until I recieve assurance that these shipping demands will be met..." (which you're not saying anyway).

So it's all in HOW it's said as much as what's said.

tippy4
05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Agreed! And I would always go with option #1.

The last thing I would want to do is be a dick to the person I want to take care in packaging my book.

Randall Flagg
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
The last thing I would want to do is be a dick to the person I want to take care in packaging my book.

Book Collecting Rule (Commandment) # 6: Do not be a 'Dick' to the person packaging and shipping your book.

Just trying a little humor, but it does give me an idea for a thread with the 'Ten Commandments" of book collecting.

Cujo56
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Book Collecting Rule (Commandment) # 6: Do not be a 'Dick' to the person packaging and shipping your book.

Just trying a little humor, but it does give me an idea for a thread with the 'Ten Commandments" of book collecting.

I like it! :thumbsup:

carlosdetweiller
05-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Rule #1 - NEVER prepay for a book being published by Cemetery Dance.

Dolso
05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
[quote=Randall Flagg;511536][quote=tippy4;511534]

Hey~~~I resemble that remark! Alright! alright! But, really, I just can't help it!

Dick :nana:

Brice
05-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Rule #1 - NEVER prepay for a book being published by Cemetery Dance.

This should be on a plaque or something hanging in every book collector's home. :lol:

Jerome, I really like that thread idea. :thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-11-2010, 11:22 PM

Commandment # 1

Thou shalt not covet carlosdetweiller's collection!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-12-2010, 02:40 AM

Commandment # 1

Thou shalt not covet carlosdetweiller's collection!

oop's I'm doomed

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
05-12-2010, 04:07 AM
:lol:

We might all be doomed if we make that a rule.

lophophoras
05-12-2010, 04:30 AM
:doh:

turtlex
05-12-2010, 05:51 AM
We'll have lots of company in our Doom, though. :lol:

demorgan
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
what should i do:
a buyer just informed me that the book i sent him is covered in ink...theres no way that is possible.
I have never dealt with such a thing...what should i do? issue a refund? fight it out on ebay?

e_taylor
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
what should i do:
a buyer just informed me that the book i sent him is covered in ink...theres no way that is possible.
I have never dealt with such a thing...what should i do? issue a refund? fight it out on ebay?

Ask for pictures. If the damage is actually there and it wasn't when you sent it, you might have a chance with an insurance claim from the shipping company.

Other than that, it would depend on the cost of the item. Let them send it back and refund them.

Cujo56
05-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Just the book or the outside of the package also?

demorgan
05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I think its my fault. This is the first/last time i use newspaper along with bubble wrap. Im going to give a refund after i get it back.

Randall Flagg
05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Never, ever wrap a book in newspaper.
Newspaper can make great padding, but if a person wraps the book tightly in newspaper, the ink from the newspaper will rub off and damage a book.
I know for a fact, as I have been the recipient of a book signed by King that was stained on the top and bottom page edges.

demorgan
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Never, ever wrap a book in newspaper.
Newspaper can make great padding, but if a person wraps the book tightly in newspaper, the ink from the newspaper will rub off and damage a book.
I know for a fact, as I have been the recipient of a book signed by King that was stained on the top and bottom page edges.

Yeah, I learned that lesson today. I have never used it in the past..usually use wrapping paper. The seller wanted a partial refund and the book...I decided that it wasnt worth fighting over. Gave the partial refund..even though the guy was rude after I told him that we could work it out...Just glad to get the situation resolved. Lesson learned..move on.

Rahfa
05-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Ooof...that's lame, but, right, lesson learned. Sounds silly to say, but it's better if it's your fault rather than the post office screwing it up.

demorgan
05-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, its lame that the person is over the top rude to someone that is trying to help them out.

Rahfa
05-13-2010, 05:37 PM
What did they say? What did they expect you to do?

jemaher
05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
some people are just unhappy assholes. there is no making them happy

Cutter
10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't know if he's been in this thread before as I haven't gone through and looked at everything but add Filip1 to the list of eBay sellers to avoid.

I paid $75 for a Paolo Bacigalupi book and I never got it and I waited 30 days like i usually do (no longer) and asked about it. He said he had another and would send it. I waited a week or two and asked and he said he forgot to send it and would send it. He sent me a usps number and it said it was delivered, but it never appeared at my house. Anyway he dragged me along for 2 months and eBay and Paypal would do nothing since the time to file a claim had expired.

I was ticked off, but I thought maybe it was just a screw up, that is until I saw today another forum member on Brian Keene's board who got screwed the same way and lost like $60 and never received the book either.

The weird thing is I had bought books from him in the past, but I guess if he doesn't have the book he'll still take your money and string you along until your screwed. He knows the system.

Avoid Filip1 like the plague.

Pasiuk57
10-20-2010, 07:24 AM
I've bought some books from him in the past also with no problems. Weird...

divemaster
10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I've got some great deals from Filip1. I've made offers on 3 books at a time for prices I figured no way he would accept, and yet he did.

Sorry to hear a couple of others have had a bad go of it with him. :(

Tito_Villa
10-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I have had no problems with him!

e_taylor
10-20-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't know if he's been in this thread before as I haven't gone through and looked at everything but add Filip1 to the list of eBay sellers to avoid.

I paid $75 for a Paolo Bacigalupi book and I never got it and I waited 30 days like i usually do (no longer) and asked about it. He said he had another and would send it. I waited a week or two and asked and he said he forgot to send it and would send it. He sent me a usps number and it said it was delivered, but it never appeared at my house. Anyway he dragged me along for 2 months and eBay and Paypal would do nothing since the time to file a claim had expired.

I was ticked off, but I thought maybe it was just a screw up, that is until I saw today another forum member on Brian Keene's board who got screwed the same way and lost like $60 and never received the book either.

The weird thing is I had bought books from him in the past, but I guess if he doesn't have the book he'll still take your money and string you along until your screwed. He knows the system.

Avoid Filip1 like the plague.

That sucks Geoff - have you tried sorting it out even though the PayPal claim period is over?

I've always had a great time dealing with Otto. Even within the last couple weeks we did a trade of books I was looking for with books he was looking for. I offered to pay the shipping both ways but he sent mine free of charge, and even sent them before he received mine.

Heres hoping you guys can work something out!

ELazansky
10-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Same with me - I have bought at least 4 books from Otto over the past year and everything has gone smoothly.

jhanic
10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Geoff, don't forget that you can still contest the charge from your credit card if that's what you used. I've done this before even though it was through Paypal and it worked.

John

Cutter
10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Geoff, don't forget that you can still contest the charge from your credit card if that's what you used. I've done this before even though it was through Paypal and it worked.

John

Yea John, I actually tried to go through my credit card too, but they rejected my claim. And it's now been about 5 months so there's no hope.

And as stated above I've bought many books from Filip1 probably over the past 5 years and everything was fine, but all it took was me ordering a book he didn't have and he took my money. And as mentioned above it has happened to another person recently too.

Just buy at your own risk is all I'm saying. Personally I won't buy from him anymore. Screw me once and that's the only chance you get from me.

WeDealInLead
10-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I had a bad experience with him as well. He was selling heavily discounted copies of Knowing Darkness and he stated clearly in the descripition they were damaged, nicked or what have you. I was fine with that. I didn't have enough money for a brand new one and I was fine with a few bumps here and there. So I receive the book and it's missing the slipcase. WTF? I contacted him and his answer was that the description doesn't say the book comes with the slipcase. Well, it normally does and why would I even ask about the slipcase being included anyways? He uses a stock picture so it's not like he was forward about it. I would assume when I buy a book that it comes with a DJ, why was it wrong to assume that a book that comes IN a slipcase would come with one?

He doesn't do refunds so now I'm stock with a copy of the book w/o a slipcase. LAME.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Filip1 hates Canadians. Maybe his wife ran off with one :)

Patrick
10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Geez, sorry to hear you two (and the other person) have had bad experiences with filip1. That sucks.

I've bought a few books from Otto over the past few years, never without a problem. I have noticed though that I have to read his descriptions closely, especially the last sentence or two in any long paragraph as that's where he puts important details.

tippy4
10-20-2010, 09:41 PM

That would be me.

Not me specifically, but I have been in this situation.

For example.....

Let's say a seller sends me a $100 book wrapped in brown paper. No cardboard box. No padding. Nothing. The book is damaged. If the seller offered to send me a full refund, I would still not be "happy".

Why not? Because now, due to the seller's carelesness, I have to pack the book, ship the book, and write a bunch of emails just to be back to where I was right before I sent payment over. My time has been wasted. And I can't get that back.

What makes me "happy" is when I get what I pay for, in the condition it was described.

I know I am coming across like a jerk here (it's late and I am tired and cranky), but I am serious in what I am saying. Do things right the first time, and everybody wins.

By the way, I actually received a $100 book as described above. I emailed the seller and never heard back form him.

Sam
10-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry about that tippy. I meant to get back to you and let you know I cannot be held responsible for anything that the USPS does to the book while in transit. It was fine when I dropped it in the mailbox.:P:P:P

Rahfa
10-21-2010, 01:52 PM

That would be me.

For example.....

Let's say a seller sends me a $100 book wrapped in brown paper. No cardboard box. No padding. Nothing. The book is damaged. If the seller offered to send me a full refund, I would still not be "happy".

Why not? Because now, due to the seller's carelesness, I have to pack the book, ship the book, and write a bunch of emails just to be back to where I was right before I sent payment over. My time has been wasted. And I can't get that back.

What makes me "happy" is when I get what I pay for, in the condition it was described.

I know I am coming across like a jerk here (it's late and I am tired and cranky), but I am serious in what I am saying. Do things right the first time, and everybody wins.

Haha...I know...sometimes I try to give amatuer sellers some benefit of the doubt, but still...actually, I just sold a book (one of several sales...not for big money) and totally forgot to ship it...so about two weeks go by, and I realize it's sitting on my bookshelf where it started.

Luckily, I had charged for parcel post shipping, not priority...so it's not like it was officially "late," and I haven't heard from the buyer anyway. But I sent it out via Priroty Mail and let him know it was - finally - on the way. Hope he's happy! Haha...

jhanic
10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Did you tell him what happened?

John

Rahfa
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I emailed him to say it was screwed up and coming late...but I didn't hear back. Because the listing was for parcel post shipping, it's not overly late anyway, but still...def. not early, either.

Patrick
10-21-2010, 11:56 PM
For example.....

Why not? Because now, due to the seller's carelessness, I have to pack the book, ship the book, and write a bunch of emails just to be back to where I was right before I sent payment over. My time has been wasted. And I can't get that back.

I don't think you sound like a jerk here. This is completely reasonable.

Aside from wasting your time and effort, one more reason to be unhappy that you didn't mention: It drives me nuts when a seller causes damage to a collectible book out of their sheer stupidity and/or laziness.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-22-2010, 02:06 AM
I agree as well. It's even worse when:

You win the auction, seller is charging $3.95 for Media Mail, you offer and pay $2 more to have them wrap it in bubble wrap and ship in a box (still Media Mail though) and they don't do it.

Even when the book luckily arrives safe, I'm still mad and demand a partial refund.

Stepping off my box now.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

SkippyD023
10-22-2010, 03:30 AM

That would be me.

For example.....

By the way, I actually received a $100 book as described above. I emailed the seller and never heard back form him.

Not being a jerk at all, I agree 100%.

I have not purchased alot of really expensive items on e-bay but no matter the cost of the item if sellers would just take a little extra care in packing there items everything would be much better. I have received several magazine that are just stuffed in a flimsy envelope with no padding or protection and they charge the maximum $4.00 for shipping with the actual cost being more like $2.50. If they would just add a piece of cardboard to each side of the magazine before placing it in the envelope it would go a long way.

As a seller I take care in packing the items I send. I found though that many sellers don't seem to appreciate it by the rating they provide me on my shipping charges. My items cost a little more than others to ship because I pack them carefully and add extra padding to insure they arrive as they left but my shipping charge rating is lower than my other three ratings on e-bay. I could just throw the item in a box or envelope, add the postage and mail it and hope it arrives safely but I don't want to have an item returned for damage where everyone loses out.

tippy4
01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Adding ebay seller dkrause100 to this list.

Recently, I won a sealed S/L audio of The Gunslinger on ebay.

I paid $125 for the item.

Prior to the auction ending, I contacted the seller to see if he would add a $165 BUY IT NOW, but he refused and it worked out to my advantage.

I asked the seller to ship it in a sturdy cardboard box, and even told him that if he did, I would send him an extra $5 upon receipt.

It arrived today in a padded envelope. An item that the seller himself declined an offer of $165 was shipped in a f***ing padded envelope.

Why are some people so god-damned stupid?

Here is my email correspondance with the seller prior to today:

-----Original Message-----
To: dkrause100
Subject: Other: tippy4 sent a message about Stephen King Autographed & Unopened- The Gunslinger #200556296515
Sent Date: Dec-28-10 09:33:31 PST

Dear dkrause100,

I am the winner of this auction. Please ship in a sturdy, well-packed cardboard box with at least 2 inches of padding between item and box on all sides. Please pack snugly so item cannot move around inside of the box when shaken. Condition is VERY important to me. If you ship the item as I have outlined above, and it arrives undamaged, I will send you an extra $5 upon receipt.

Thank you.

tippy4

To: tippy4
Sent: Tue, Dec 28, 2010 2:46 pm
Subject: Re: Other: tippy4 sent a message about Stephen King Autographed & Unopened- The Gunslinger #200556296515

Dear tippy4,

I will do - no problem and thanks.

dkrause100

To: dkrause100
Subject: Re: Other: tippy4 sent a message about Stephen King Autographed & Unopened- The Gunslinger #200556296515
Sent Date: Dec-28-10 14:58:13 PST

Dear dkrause100,

Thank you.

I have had a run of bad luck lately with sellers shipping me nice items in a poorly packed box...or worse...in no box at all (I once had a guy ship me a $100 book wrapped in brown paper...no box...no padding).

Now, I check with all sellers before they ship my item.

Thanks again for your taking care of this.

I will leave you positive feedback to let you know I have received this, and like I said, if it shows packed as requested and arrives undamaged, I will send you an additional $5.

tippy4

To: tippy4
Sent: Tue, Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Dear tippy4,

I understand and sorry to hear that. I will pack it up nicely in bubble wrap for you.
Thanks and best regards,

dkrause100

__________________________________________________ _____________________

I have left this seller NEUTRAL feedback, and have stated the facts of this transaction.

I really wanted to leave him NEGATIVE feedback.

thegreattim
01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
That really sucks, tippy. I'm sorry to hear it. How was the condition of the item?

e_taylor
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Ouch. Yah its tough these days, I had a book show up recently that I had corresponded with the seller about and had confirmation that he would ship it in a well packed box. It came in a flat rate envelope with not even bubble wrap around it.

tippy4
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
This is a delicate item, so the few small bits of damage may have been there before it shpped.

Regardless, I had no qualms about leaving neutral feedback.

This seller actually agreed to ship it in a well-packed box, and then did the exact opposite....even after I offered him a small cash incentive.

On top of that, that shitty padded mailer cost him $1.88. He could have bought a box for about the same price.

I am so tired of dealing with stupid sellers!

Fsmdr
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
This is a delicate item, so the few small bits of damage may have been there before it shpped.

Regardless, I had no qualms about leaving neutral feedback.

This seller actually agreed to ship it in a well-packed box, and then did the exact opposite....even after I offered him a small cash incentive.

On top of that, that shitty padded mailer cost him $1.88. He could have bought a box for about the same price.

I am so tired of dealing with stupid sellers!

Been there too, Tippy. I am very tired as well with crappy sellers who do dumb things like that.

Because of that, I still do not own a 1st/1st Carrie. I can't seem to trust any of those unknown sellers to give me a straight and honest answer on condition. And if they pack it in a bubble mailer, I will explode like a nutcracker on Christmas!.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
tippy, are you saying that as a result of poor packaging the
few small bits of damage occurred?
After the sale a buyer can/should request the seller to package carefully, but that is a request-not a right. If the seller put it in a sock and postage was affixed, as long as it came as described you can be perturbed, but what loss have you suffered?
You got a good deal-enjoy it.

Edit:
But I feel your pain and this is a good place to vent.:thumbsup:

tippy4
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
While I have not suffered any real loss, the next guy might not be so lucky.

Yeah...I am mostly venting. This is a pet peave of mine.

If the seller and I had no communication prior to his shipping it, and he shipped it as he had, I would have just been annoyed.

However, in this case, I made requests that the seller agreed to. As a result, I am twice as annoyed.

The purpose of me leaving him neutral feedback is that it will hopefully teach him a lesson, and next time, he will ship his item correctly.

Unfortunately, it probably will not teach him anything. You can't fix stupid.

Rahfa
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Not stupid, probably, just apathetic.

I blame Ebay and the $4 max for shipping...I get annoyed losing money on shipping, or at least not being able to break even on it...and the difference in cost between a box and a padded envelope can be significant.

Having said that, I've never shipped in an envelope.

WeDealInLead
01-05-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm going to side with the seller. Unless you message before you win to make arrangements, he could send in greeting card. It's up to him. It's also in your power to leave him a negative feedback and get your money back, eBay would side with you 100%. I think this is the second time you're posting about messaging the seller about your shipping requirements after you've won the auction. Maybe he just forgot about the message exchange?

I've recently sold a bunch of stuff on eBay and nothing pisses me off more than buyers with a feeling of entitlement to some special treatment. You'll get your package safely and if you don't, you get your money back. No guarantees in life. You can buy things at a store and still end up with a defect. Take it back, world moves on.

Some dick from Norway demanded extra cardboard when I was sending him a record that was already in a record mailer. Extra cardboard cost ME $13 extra because it put in the different weight bracket. I'm afraid to ask for him to pay for it because a) he didn't want to pay for registered which means b) if I asked for him to pay the difference because of demands he made, he could out of spite say I never mailed the record... and walk away with a free record, his money back and my $13.

So yeah, your seller should have packaged it in a box because he said he would and I'm not making excuses for that but it was your responsibility to make arrangements prior to bidding. A casual inquiry about his shipping practices would've sufficed.

Patrick
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
From the email chain posted above, after the sale was closed, the seller agreed to send the signed collectible in a properly padded box. Then didn't. Tippy even proactively offered to cover the extra cost.

The seller should have declined the request if they were not going to follow through. I would be upset too.

biomieg
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Remember that I won a certain paperback containing King's 'Hotel At The End of The Road'? It was the 4th edition of the Market Guide for Young Writers, which is the earliest publication of this story that most collectors can hope to obtain. I won the auction on November 23d, 2010. Well, after repeated inquiries from my side I finally got a quote on the postage and a cheerful mail asking me for my PayPal details etc.! I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry (especially since he's trying to charge me very high shipping costs, so I'll have to get into a discussion about that too, before there's any chance of him sending the book).

I'm not giving his name here right now, but I might if it takes a lot longer.

WeDealInLead
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Dear tippy4,

I understand and sorry to hear that. I will pack it up nicely in bubble wrap for you.
Thanks and best regards,

dkrause100
--

That could be taken either way though. He first agrees to send it in a box, then later mentions bubble wrap. Given the context, it does seem like he meant bubble wrap in a box but maybe he meant just bubble wrap because in his mind, that's somehow safer?

Both parties are guilty but because I'm sick of buyers dictating the rules, I'm siding with the seller. Like I said, have special instructions/questions? Email BEFORE you bid.

Rahfa
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Dear tippy4,

Thanks and best regards,

dkrause100
--

That could be taken either way though. He first agrees to send it in a box, then later mentions bubble wrap. Given the context, it does seem like he meant bubble wrap in a box but maybe he meant just bubble wrap because in his mind, that's somehow safer?

Both parties are guilty but because I'm sick of buyers dictating the rules, I'm siding with the seller. Like I said, have special instructions/questions? Email BEFORE you bid.

I've been selling a lot lately, and haven't actually been asked for any special requests...just the usual "please pack carefully," which goes without saying.

I could go either way on this sometimes...like I said above, it's not stupid, just apathetic. I think if anybody made any special shipment requests, I would come back with "I'll send it insured priority mail for actual cost." That way it's all taken care of before shipment, and lets me break even on shipment, which is a good trade for everybody...

If somebody offered to pay me $5 AFTER the sale/shipment was completed, I doubt I'd even reply to the email - everything should be paid up front.

I know from experience that Tippy is very, very, very crazy about shipping...haha...but that's fine, because he does the same thing as a seller. But, Ebay fees and shipping costs are too much to expect any special treatment that isn't paid for beforehand...if you want 'velvet glove' treatment, you have to email before bidding and volunteer to pay priority shipping with a padded box or whatever....not hope it turns out okay AFTER the bid.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of somebody agreeing to do something, like in this case, and then not doing it....but you know, ebay's like the garage sale down the block, and I think we as buyers often forget that we're not dealing with a storefront, but some person just like us trying to make some extra cash.

Jimimck
01-06-2011, 01:42 AM
I thought I'd share a recent online experience with the group, although this was a purchase from Borders, not Ebay.

I purchased three copies of FDNS, to be shipped internationally. When they arrived, the box they were shipped in was very damaged, dented etc, and was almost coming apart at one end. The three books had NO protection what so ever. No bubble wrap, no wrapping paper, nothing. Two of them have dented dustjackets and marks on the front covers.

I emailed Borders, but was unable to return as their return policy is to do so within 30 days of the items being shipped, but they took longer than 30 days to arrive in the first place!
They replied with a lot of "we're sorry you had a bad experience" and " we hope you'll look to continue to use us in the future" but their was no suggested solution, or option to return the books outside of their policy.

I won't be using borders.com again any time soon. :arg:

carlosdetweiller
01-06-2011, 05:02 AM
I won't be using borders.com again any time soon. :arg:

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds similar to my experience with Waterstones in the UK. Never again.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2011, 06:33 AM
If you charged the books, dispute the charge through your credit card company.

pixiedark76
01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
The bookseller to avoid like the plague is recordspinners. The description of the book was way off! He described it as "brand new" and "near mint" :wtf: Does this look like a brand new or near mint book to you?

http://i51.tinypic.com/n31yc6.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/235ugx.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/k53c75.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/b4921e.jpg

Plus the seller said that it was a "stated first edition" <_< I found out that the first edition price was $15.95 not $17.95. I guess I should have known better! Judging from the seller name recordspinners; I think this loser should stick to selling records and never ever sell another book for as long as he lives. This idiot obliviously knows NOTHING about books!><

http://i51.tinypic.com/72evxv.jpg

pixiedark76
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
You know what? I don't think I will trust e-bay anymore either!

Rahfa
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Trust...but verify.

Randall Flagg
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Trust...but verify.

Always charge-and if burned dispute.

Patrick
01-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Trust...but verify.

Seconded.

tippy4
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm going to side with the seller. Unless you message before you win to make arrangements, he could send in greeting card. It's up to him. It's also in your power to leave him a negative feedback and get your money back, eBay would side with you 100%. I think this is the second time you're posting about messaging the seller about your shipping requirements after you've won the auction. Maybe he just forgot about the message exchange?

Yes, I have bitched about this many times in the past (isn't that what the internet was created for?). Poorly packed items piss me off for two reasons. First, I don't want to see collectables damaged, and second, if they are damaged, I don't want to spend my time packing it up and sending it back. An ounch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Some dick from Norway demanded extra cardboard when I was sending him a record that was already in a record mailer. Extra cardboard cost ME $13 extra because it put in the different weight bracket. I'm afraid to ask for him to pay for it because a) he didn't want to pay for registered which means b) if I asked for him to pay the difference because of demands he made, he could out of spite say I never mailed the record... and walk away with a free record, his money back and my $13.

Calling the guy a dick because he asked for extra cardboard seems a bit harsh. You should definitely ask for the $13, because it was his request that created the cost. If he decides not to pay it, that will most likely be the end of it. Your concern that he will claim he never received it seems a little paranoid. And besides, I assume you have a tracking number, which would prove that you shipped it.

So yeah, your seller should have packaged it in a box because he said he would and I'm not making excuses for that but it was your responsibility to make arrangements prior to bidding. A casual inquiry about his shipping practices would've sufficed.

So I made the inquiry AFTER the auction ended. I offered him $5 to ship my item in a box, and he accepted. As far as I was concerned, that was adequate. Frankly, I doubt the outcome would have been any different if I had contacted him prior to the auction's end.

I'm sick of buyers dictating the rules, I'm siding with the seller. .

Buyers dictating the rules???? What are you talking about???? The seller has all of the power on ebay.

You ever hear a seller crying about the fact that they shipped an item, and then never got paid?

You ever hear a seller complain that the money they received was not in the condition they hoped it would be?

Like I said, sellers have all the power.

thegreattim
01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Buyers dictating the rules???? What are you talking about???? The seller has all of the power on ebay.

You ever hear a seller crying about the fact that they shipped an item, and then never got paid?

You ever hear a seller complain that the money they received was not in the condition they hoped it would be?

I''m not taking side on this argument one way or another, but I absolutely disagree with the above statement. As a seller, you have NO ability to leave negative feedback (at least without a long and arduous process) about a buyer. After completing a transaction, when you go to leave feedback, there is either a positive button, or a file a dispute button. That's it. This even if the buyer delays over a week without paying for a winning bid. On the other hand, a buyer can leave negative feedback about a seller, out of freaking spite if they feel like it. I know exactly what WeDealInLead means when he says he is afraid to ask the buyer to pay more... Some people are there solely to manipulate the system.

So, not taking sides again, I just feel your statement was a bit one-sided.

tippy4
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Back in the old days, you could leave positive, neutral, or negative beedfback for a buyer. Then, ebay changed the rules, and like you said, they limited your options to leaving positive feedback, no feedback, or file a dispute.

At first, I did not like this, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the truth of the matter, is that there is no reason to leave feedback for a buyer at all. The point of feedback is to let other potential buyers know about your experience with that seller.

WeDealInLead
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
An update from that buyer who didn't pay: NYA NYA !

That's the exact quote.

Tippy, I don't have the tracking number. The seller didn't want it because it's extra. So yeah, he can say he never got the record and I'd be out of money, record and extra shipping money. That's BS. You can't just say if decides not to pay that'll be the end of it. Where is the fairness in that? I don't even want to leave a negative but having an option to leave even a neutral if he refuses to pay would be FAIR, no more, no less.

Sellers don't have an option of leaving a negative. The guy who won my auction is mocking me, refusing to pay and there will be no consequences for him. He might get a non-paying bidder alert but any potential sellers won't be able to see that. All I get is wasted time and a failed sale.

WeDealInLead
01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Back in the old days, you could leave positive, neutral, or negative beedfback for a buyer. Then, ebay changed the rules, and made it so you could not leave negative feedback for a buyer.

At first, I did not like this, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the truth of the matter, is that there is no reason to leave feedback for a buyer at all. The point of feedback is to let other potential buyers know about your experience with that seller.

I registered close to 10 years ago. Having the option to leave a negative/neutral was nice because sellers could delete bids from sellers with a few negs... or leaving a negative for deadbeats as a warning to other sellers. Ever see pictures of thieves in corner stores? Something like that on eBay would be nice. It would say that this person might pay for an item... or he might bolt through the store so keep an eye out.

None of this even matters, eBay doesn't give a F what I/we think so whatever.

tippy4
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
None of this even matters, eBay doesn't give a F what I/we think so whatever.

I have to agree with you there. I prefer the ebay from ten years back myself. A lot fewer rules and restrictions.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, they are really the only game in town right now, so we are stuck with them...which makes taking the bad with the good something we just have to live with.

But, we then get to come here to bitch about the boneheads we must deal with.

:P

Jimimck
01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't sell on ebay, and so didn't realise sellers couldn't leave negative feedback. I don't agree with that, as many buyers out there can be idiots and need deserved feedback as a warning for others.
In New Zealand, we have trademe.co.nz, a very similar auction site to ebay, but obviously on a much smaller scale. You can still leave any feedback as a seller, but the good thing here is you can leave a comment after receiving feedback, to at least try and put your point of view across. Anyone who takes the time to read through feedback and the comments can usually make up their own mind, so even if negative feedback has been left in spite, the true story usually becomes apparent.

pixiedark76
01-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Yes, I have bitched about this many times in the past (isn't that what the internet was created for?). Poorly packed items piss me off for two reasons. First, I don't want to see collectables damaged, and second, if they are damaged, I don't want to spend my time packing it up and sending it back. An ounch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Calling the guy a dick because he asked for extra cardboard seems a bit harsh. You should definitely ask for the $13, because it was his request that created the cost. If he decides not to pay it, that will most likely be the end of it. Your concern that he will claim he never received it seems a little paranoid. And besides, I assume you have a tracking number, which would prove that you shipped it.

So I made the inquiry AFTER the auction ended. I offered him $5 to ship my item in a box, and he accepted. As far as I was concerned, that was adequate. Frankly, I doubt the outcome would have been any different if I had contacted him prior to the auction's end.

I'm sick of buyers dictating the rules, I'm siding with the seller. .

AMEN!!!

BigCoffinHunter
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
The eBay feedback issue sort of goes both ways. I used to do a fair amount of selling on eBay, so I can attest to the fact that it was always nice to have the option to slam a buyer who was difficult with either neutral or negative feedback.

On the other hand, as a much more frequent buyer, I used to hate the fact that you could have a major issue with a seller but that it was difficult to leave a negative feedback because the seller had the option of leaving you a negative feedback in retaliation. To me, that is completely ridiculous. Seller sends the book in a padded envelope and it arrives all dinged-up? (Happened once or twice). Pay for Priority but the seller ships via Media Mail two weeks later? (Happened once). Book comes in reeking of smoke even though it was listed as coming from a smoke-free home? (Happened once). Copy of a S/L Firestarter comes with, and I'm not joking here, an oily orange thumbprint on the signature page? (I'm not going to name the asshole (pardon the expression, but that's exactly what he is, as you will see below) who claimed not to notice this one before he shipped the book to me, but he owns his own bookstore and it's not Bett's)? All situations I experienced where I could not leave a negative feedback because the seller had not yet left feedback for my payment and thus had the option to retaliate by leaving a negative for me even though I had done nothing wrong. I couldn't even leave a neutral because of this. In all of the cases above, whether the seller attempted to remedy the situation or not, each is an instance of carelessness that at the very least deserves a neutral feedback. However, because of the fear of retaliation, I was forced to leave a positive feedback once the problem had been remedied (i.e. discount, money-back, etc.), after which they left me a positive. Hell, as a seller I myself had a policy of "Please remember to leave positive feedback and I will do the same" so that I could try to take care of any issues that may have arisen before receiving a negative feedback. And let's be realistic here... There are tons of situations in which a seller deserves a negative feedback, whereas generally the only situations in which a buyer deserves a negative is if they 1.) Refuse/Fail to pay for the item or 2.) Pay for the item only to falsely dispute the charge.

I agree that it's ridiculous that you can no longer leave a negative feedback for a buyer under any circumstances, which in turn opens the system up to abuse. Similarly, there are those buyers who leave sellers negative feedback for little or no reason, and eBay should certainly have a system in place to remedy such abuses. However, I do feel that the feedbacks are more accurate now than they were when a seller could hold a buyer hostage no matter how poor the experience was. Case in point, today the greasy thumb-print situation would result in a neutral feedback (as opposed to negative given that he refunded my money) and a full description of the issue rather than the bullshit positive feedback I was forced to post under a direct threat that anything less than a glowing review would result in a retaliatory negative.

Randall Flagg
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
The eBay feedback issue sort of goes both ways. I used to do a fair amount of selling on eBay, so I can attest to the fact that it was always nice to have the option to slam a buyer who was difficult with either neutral or negative feedback.

While it's ridiculous that you can no longer leave a negative feedback for a buyer under any circumstances, which in turn opens the system up to abuse, I do feel that the feedbacks are more accurate now than they were when a seller could hold a buyer hostage no matter how poor the experience was. Case in point, today the greasy thumb-print would result in a neutral feedback (given that he refunded my money) and a full description of the issue rather than the bullshit positive feedback I was forced to post under a direct threat that anything less than positive would result in a retaliatory negative.

As a person who is more often a buyer than a seller I agree with you 100%.

Rahfa
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I've always prided myself as a seller leaving feedback immediately upon payment, both before the changes and now...

Actually, in the "bad buyer" category, I just sold some things that are listed as "United States only" and got a bid from somebody in London...well, the book is only $79 and shipping to the UK is $30 more, which makes little sense to me...so I emailed that to the buyer, and haven't heard back at all...so I've started to cancel the transacation - not punitively, but just as 'don't ship to buyer's location.' But, I haven't heard anything yet...I mean, I guess if he disagrees, then he'd have to pay the shipping costs and I'd have to ship the book....still seems silly, though. I guess there's a way to block bids from overseas bidders - at least so they ask first - but I forgot to do that.

thegreattim
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I always do the same, the little I sell on eBay. The day the payment clears, I post positive feedback. They did their job, not much else one can complain about in that department.

tippy4
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I would say that over the years, my buying to selling ratio has been about 50/50 (as of today, 579 as a seller and 529 as a buyer). As such, I feel I have a good perspective on both sides of the transaction.

It seems that quite a few of you see value in being able to leave feedback for a buyer, but like I said above, there is no reason to leave feedback for a buyer (positive or negative). Let me explain.

Let's say you are a seller, and a buyer tells you that he is going to send you payment, and he never does. Sure, you are going to be upset. But what good does leaving him negative feedback do (other than satisfying your need for revenge)? Do you think that if future sellers see that negative feedback they are going to cancel his bids on their auction or if he does win an auction, refuse his payment? No way.

Likewise, leaving positive feedback for a buyer is pointless as well. As a seller, how does it help me if I see that my buyer has a lot of positive feedback as a buyer? I am not going to ship his item until he pays me, so why do I care if his feedback score is 50% or 100%? That being said...yes I personally do leave positive feedback for my buyers....mostly because it is expected, and I know buyers like it.

I think ebay should eliminate feedback for buyers completely. If you have a problem (and the only problem a seller should have with a buyer is non-payment), file a dispute. If a buyer has enough disputes filed against him, ebay kicks him off.

Again, the point of feedback is for past buyers to share their experiences with a seller to allow potential future buyers to make a more informed decision.

Rahfa
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I pretty much agree with that...I leave feedback for buyers because within the system it's the right thing do...but you're right that there's not actually a point.

Although, I like seeing that somebody with 75 or whatever positive feedback bid on my item...I can be confident that the person will pay, probably won't complain, and will be done without controversey...if I see somebody with really low feedback I know to make sure I get a confirmed shipping address, etc....so it has a purpose.

Merlin1958
01-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I pretty much agree with that...I leave feedback for buyers because within the system it's the right thing do...but you're right that there's not actually a point.

Although, I like seeing that somebody with 75 or whatever positive feedback bid on my item...I can be confident that the person will pay, probably won't complain, and will be done without controversey...if I see somebody with really low feedback I know to make sure I get a confirmed shipping address, etc....so it has a purpose.

I agree. It does have some limited value.

Stockerlone
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Don´t wanna tell details, I STILL have HOPE !!! But i think my MONEY is....:arg::orely::pullhair:

Last year NOVEMBER an tdt member offered some sig lim books. We emaild a lot, inkl pics....
I ordered 2 signed limited books for a nice price, inkl inshured delivery from USA to Germany.
The only Small thing... he want/need the full amount before delivery. I think a little time about that, in more then 20 years collecting books wordwide NOTHING bad happend to me, WHY with an tdt member :(
The seller reduced the price a little bit, i pay pal him the money and i offered him, when the books arrive, an extra payment....
Then i wait.... 2 weeks Dezember.. snow.... 4 weeks i ask him, hi says it´s on the way 6 weeks ....8 weeks
i asked him again again, and then he answered that he THINK that he don´t send the parcle inshured...
I asked him the again again again about all delivery details but... now 10 1/2 weeks ... NO answer....
In the last time, he was not aktive at tdt, and 2 1/2 weeks no answer to my mails.....

I STILL HAVE HOPE..... But 10 1/2 weeks delivery between USA and Germany. ???
Horse-drawn carriage in the USA, then sailing ship and Horse-drawn carriage accross Europe ???:panic:

Pasiuk57
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I mail a TON of stuff to friends in Germany
believe me, EVERYTHING now goes only one way to Germany and that is by air and air alone.
Books now cost more to ship to UK, Europe, even Canada as you can only ship them by air.
If you don;t get it in 10 days, that is weird. I mail a bunch of stuff to Wuppertal and they get it super fast.
Trouble....

Stockerlone
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, i become a lot of -- BOOKS-- from the USA... Del. time is always arround 2 weeks.
But this one....:orely:

Think the post have SOME problems... 2 other books from the usa, the bookdealer send them, regarding of
the delivery cost´s in TWO parcels- same sice , same day, same minute... and the delivery time was 2 WEEKS apart !!!

An other ´stupid´ parcel from the UK is since 12 in an other city... It´s tracked and i can see, it is NOT comming....:arg:

I WANT MY BOOKS.... Or .... for my 10 1/2 week books -Books OR MONEY !!!

Randall Flagg
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I ordered two Calendars from Poland in December, 2010 and they never came. At least the seller kindly refunded my money.

goathunter
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I've heard lots of people complain about slow delivery times in the U.S. from overseas lately. I'm waiting for an Amazon UK order that shipped a month ago. They normally take about a week, but I've read that things are very slow making their way through U.S. Customs for the past month or two. I also have some books from France that haven't arrived yet, two weeks after they were shipped. And I chose the faster Airmail for those....

Hunter

WeDealInLead
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Stockerlone,

Spill the beans so no one else gets burned.

Clacke
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't give up hope yet, Stockerlone. I think the dreadful weather throughout December in Europe has caused serious problems to the postal service everywhere. My mother sent a box full of Christmas presents from Ireland to my brother in Germany for his two children. It was posted in the first week of December, it arrived.......yesterday! :wtf:

Room 217 Caretaker
02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm still waiting on a box from the UK that was shipped December 1st.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

WeDealInLead
02-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Ralph,

Was it Royal Mail or a courier service? I forget the name of it, but when Agrabin (from UK) sold me the S. Crew he used a private courier. It was a little less than Royal Mail and it arrived in a week, give or take a few days.

Randall Flagg
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm still waiting on a box from the UK that was shipped December 1st.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Don't hold your breath. PS publishing recently sent me something for the Fundraiser auction, it arrived in ~10 days.

Stockerlone
02-09-2011, 01:12 AM
I ordered two Calendars from Poland in December, 2010 and they never came. At least the seller kindly refunded my money.

My two PL Stephen KING Calenders arrive VERY fast.
Delivered from Poland to Netherland and then to ME in Germany, in the end of Dezember European snow period..... orely:

WeDealInLead
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, Stockerlone and I figured out what happened. It's up to him if he'll post about it on here.

Stockerlone
02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Think... just found MY signed limited missing books from the USA......

The ´friedly´ tdt member selled Night Visions V nr 60twice. TO me and WeDealInLead.

Did someone buyed in the last day´s/months Metahorror sig lim Nr 87. This is ALSO MY book !!!:wtf:

biomieg
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm glad you guys worked out what happened. Curious, too... I'm not asking for a name but it would be nice to know since many of us do business with each other.

Stockerlone
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
What is realy bad... Pay pal ´protest´ time is 45 days.... But i try it....
Don´t know how often ´HE´ selled his books.....
Maybe i can find ´MY´ Metahorror nr 87 :orely:

e_taylor
02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
What is realy bad... Pay pal ´protest´ time is 45 days.... But i try it....
Don´t know how often ´HE´ selled his books.....
Maybe i can find ´MY´ Metahorror nr 87 :orely:

PayPal won't help you after the 45 days. If you paid with your credit card take it up with them.

jhanic
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
These seem to be some serious charges. If they do involve someone here, I also would like to know who is doing this.

John

divemaster
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes, it's only fair for the rest of the folks here to be forewarned about an unscrupulous seller. I'd say selling the same books more than once, collecting the money each time is certainly unscrupulous. We're talking the potential for 100s if not 1000s of dollars.

The folks dedicated to SK collecting at this level deserve to have all available information when it comes to matters such as this.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Not trying to put Jerome in the middle of this, but I think you should contact him first, share the members name, let Jerome contact the member. If no response from the member after Jerome's effort, than we should all know who it is.

Mulleins

WeDealInLead
02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
This is what happened... a member was selling books in the Classifieds thread and I responded because I was interested in DTVII and Night Visions V S/L. He said he still has DT but he has sold NV. He also said even though NV is gone, he could track down another copy. I thought that was kind of weird because his ad doesn't mention multiple copies but whatever, it's very possible he knew of a second copy so I agreed to buy it. I paid for both books and received them within 3 weeks. I saw Frank's post today about a person who used to post here and I put 1 and 1 together and messaged him asking if that was the same person.... and it was.

I don't want to post a name just yet. Maybe all this can be cleared up and Frank could get the money back if a 3rd party got in touch with the seller. It's not hard to figure out who he is though.

thegreattim
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Man, I hope everyone gets everything straight in the end. That all sounds pretty fishy...

On an unrelated note... to add to the shipping discussion recently upthread: I just today received a Royal Post airmail package from England that was shipped January 3rd. Don't give up hope of your books still arriving!

Stockerlone
02-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Yes, i ordered and payed from `HIM´ Night Visions V 60 + Metahorror 87. To me, he never sayed something, like ´There is someone else interested in the books´ or that he have multiple copies, i was the first, who asked for the books.
He send me pics. from the two books... no problems. (at this time)

YES, i still have a little bit hope, but when MY sig lim ordered/payed Book with MY nr. surprisingly, is the new pride of joy... :doh:
When ´HE´ have multible Night Visions V sig lim, WHY he don´t say something to me???

Hope he answerd THIS time to my mails, in the last 2 weeks, NO answer !!!

Randall Flagg
02-10-2011, 07:07 AM
The member in question hasn't been on the site since 1/1/2011.
I do recall he was absent from the previous site abruptly and for quite a long time.
WeDealInLead-feel free to disclose the persons name when you wish.

carlosdetweiller
02-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Yes. We have inquiring minds and we want to know.

Rahfa
02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
With minimal research in the classifieds thread, you can figure it out...I'd post the name but I don't want to step on toes. Just do a search for Night Vision in the thread, and see who was selling one recently, and they also haven't posted again in quite some time.

Stockerlone
02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Yesterday i send ´HIM´ AGAIN an mail, and i wait till tomorrow... Think its´fair´ enough???

WeDealInLead
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Gabriel Diaz aka Diesel

The Library Policeman
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
That is a shocking thing to have done to fellow members if it was intentional. Any time I have bought from anyone on here, David, Jerome, Shibus etc the transactions have been flawless.

I sincerely hope that it is a geniune error or he does indeed have 2 copies of NV 5 and your books arrive soon.

Randall Flagg
02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Gabriel Diaz aka Diesel

His actual screen name is Disel24

biomieg
02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I seem to remember David had an issue with him as well (which was resolved in the end, I believe).

Patrick
02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I bought a Joe Hill S/L from him sometime within the past year and the transaction worked out fine.

I'm sorry to hear that things have gone bad for you with him. I sure hope he is able to make things right on your deal.

WeDealInLead
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Gabriel Diaz aka Diesel

His actual screen name is Disel24

Thanks and excuse my lack of coherence. This stomach bug is killing me. Can't sleep, can't eat, can't think and burning up.

Stockerlone
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Have send Gabriel again SEVERAL mails... no answer... My last hope ...accommodating arrangement from Pay Pal. Have someone seen MY other book Metahorror sig lim nr. 87 ??? Tks a lot for the help...

Rahfa
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Don't just deal with Paypal...dispute it with the credit card you used with PP.

jhanic
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
For sure. Paypal will often put you off--the credit card company won't.

John

Stockerlone
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Just in this minute... Answer from Pay Pal.....
We are so sorry for your problem...... bla bla bla but we can do nothing for you... bla bla
you ask to late.....

TKS a lot Pay Pal.... AND TKS a LOT TO GABRIEL DIAZ.......:angry::shoot::arg:

MY new Collecting device..... ::: NEVER TRUST NOBODY !!!!

Rahfa
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Call your credit card company!!!

Stockerlone
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I don´t use my Credit Card... The ´lost´ money comes from my PP account...

Rahfa
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Ugh...that sux.

Well...he had some delivery issues before and actually came through in the end, so maybe this will get fixed eventually. I would keep emailing him, that's for sure.

Stockerlone
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Ugh...that sux.

Well...he had some delivery issues before and actually came through in the end, so maybe this will get fixed eventually. I would keep emailing him, that's for sure.

Yes.... mailbombing....:excited: and i also send him an Pay Pal payment request....

Sir_Boomme
02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
as some of you know I also collect presidential memoirs (limited and signed editions)

I have been looking for an Obama one... (Audacity of Hope)... for a reasonable price to add to my collection.

Flatsign has one for sale, what do you guys think of it? real or fake?...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380316867027&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I know some of you hate miller... but I'm sure that he does sale legit stuff (occasionally?)

2 things... first I wish that people would actually sign their name, you would think someone who has reached the highest position in the world could do more than scribble...
(not partisan here... bush didn't do much better)

second, in miller/flatsigneds auction above... it worries me that he states in the discription:
"This flawless copy was bought direct from the publisher before the election."

then later on down the page
"This copy is a true first edition signed in the Oval Office."

so....how could Barack sign it in the oval office before the election?
doesn't makes sense, and makes me question the entire listing.

any of you have known legit barack sigs for comparison?

Rahfa
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
There is no chance in hell that book was actually signed in the Oval Office....and you're right, the description makes no sense.

However, I think the signature looks okay...I have two signed Obama books, both witnessed by me or someone else, and it looks pretty similar.

EDIT: I looked again and I don't like it anymore...when I enlarged it, it seems like there are some hesitation stutters in a few of the loops.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
I enjoy learning new signatures but I actually gave up on Obama. I'm not saying this is fake but I don't think it's as smooth as a signature I've seen from a real signing. Could be a rushed signature though:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/Obama_Sig.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
as some of you know I also collect presidential memoirs (limited and signed editions)

I have been looking for an Obama one... (Audacity of Hope)... for a reasonable price to add to my collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380316867027&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I know some of you hate miller... but I'm sure that he does sale legit stuff (occasionally?)

2 things... first I wish that people would actually sign their name, you would think someone who has reached the highest position in the world could do more than scribble...

second, in miller/flatsigneds auction above... it worries me that he states in the discription:

It doesn't state Obama signed it in office, before the election.
It was carefully stated "This copy is a true first edition signed in the Oval Office"
The book came out; and there were 1st printings in 2006.
Obama could sign a 1st Carrie in the Oval Office. It all comes down to "can I sleep at night with this on my shelf" for collectors-not sellers. If there is doubt, it will always be a concern and thus reduce the enjoyment level.

Sir_Boomme
02-23-2011, 10:09 PM

It doesn't state Obama signed it in office, before the election.
It was carefully stated "This copy is a true first edition signed in the Oval Office"
The book came out; and there were 1st printings in 2006.
Obama could sign a 1st Carrie in the Oval Office. It all comes down to "can I sleep at night with this on my shelf" for collectors-not sellers. If there is doubt, it will always be a concern and thus reduce the enjoyment level.

no, but the auction does imply that miller himself bought the book before the election
and... then it was signed in the oval office.
so... that suggests tim miller had access to the president in the oval office?
wow... he has moved up in the world.

I agree with rahfa looking at the blown up picture....looks like several places with hesitations on that sig.
upon looking at side by side comparisons... the red arrows point at other areas that look like pauses...as if someone were copying rather than just a natural signing.
it's enough to concern me that I think I'll pass on this one.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/Obama_Sig.jpg

it'd be nice if there were more to the signature.... so it could be more easily compared.

carlosdetweiller
02-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Avoiding Tim Miller and anything he has for sale is always good strategy. You will definitely come out ahead in the long run.

Rahfa
02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Boome's done an excellent analysis...those were all the hesitation marks I thought I'd noticed, plus a couple more.

It's a fake in my mind...

I do have a copy with a fuller signature (signed to me, natch) that I'll post for comparison if I get motivated.

EDIT: I looked at the two examples I have, and neither is much more than the above true example - but you can def. see the smooth lines.

EDIT TWO: Here's a real signature - or the guy signing the book for me was one hell of an impersonator.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h333/rahfa/DSCI0194.jpg

darkdiscoveries
02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd avoid Halfbay.com (one of ebay's companies) too for any rare books or collectibles. A number of people on there charge very low prices for books and then gouge you for shipping (I had a $11 order get charged $16 for shipping and then they all got shipped together in a cheap amazon box with no packing material - for like $3 shipping cost to the dealer). Amazon is about the same in many cases with purchasing stuff direct from Amazon's warehouses.

I can't understand either why some sellers risk all of the bad feedback and having to refund people's money and so on to save $.50 or a buck or something on buying a box or bubble wrap. I've often reused boxes, padded enevelopes or bubble wrap when i've run out (it's over 10 miles into town and sometimes I can't always make it that day), but always tried to pack stuff well regardless.

- James
http://darkdiscoveries.com

thecollector
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey Terry,

I'm not expert on presidential signatures but here's a signature from a signed private photo, I know the sig is genuine. It makes sense that this sig is a little more detailed because it wasn't signed in a batch of 100, 500, etc. I'd agree with the curved B that others have pointed out if nothing else.

Hope it helps!

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/pictures/obama.jpg

Rahfa
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
The longer version of the signature I have (also signed in front of someone I know, but not the one I posted) looks exactly like that.

redsoxfan565
02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Flatsigned has sold more fake Obama signatures than anyone on eBay in the past 5 years. The one posted is a clear cut fake. I've obtained Obama pre and post election over a hundred times, and its just not even close.

Here are 3 examples for you, pre-election, during election, post-election.

http://nicksportsautographs.com/images/obamapreelection.jpg

http://nicksportsautographs.com/images/obamaduringelection.jpg

http://nicksportsautographs.com/images/obamapostelection.jpg

Sam
02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Not being an expert on Obama's signature, what makes those three so different from the genuine article so that you know they are fake? I see no difference in them and no spots such as hesitation lines except in the third (bottom) picture.

redsoxfan565
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Not being an expert on Obama's signature, what makes those three so different from the genuine article so that you know they are fake? I see no difference in them and no spots such as hesitation lines except in the third (bottom) picture.

The 3 I posted are all authentic obtained by me.

tippy4
04-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Adding one to the list.

blues713317713317

I just received this from him....

S/L DT6 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270727708196&si=pEMDUDMWM6vuU1rheakCx4SOZQ0%253D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1109)

It arrived without a slipcase. It was also un-numbered.

Now, nowhere in the auction does it state that there is a slipcase, nor is there one pictured, nor does the auction state what # the book is.

All that being said, a good seller would have stated "does not come with slipcase" and "this book is not numbered" in the auction, as by definition this book is supposed to come with a slipcase and be numbered.

During our conversations that occurred after I received the book, he admitted to me that, while the auction was live, he had received a question from an interested party asking if a slipcase was included, and that he had told them NO. I asked him why he had not posted the question and answer in the auction, but never answered me.

Seller was unwilling to allow me to send it back (at my expense) for my purchase price minus postage. I provided the seller another option which was to issue me a partial refund and have me keep it which seller also declined.

In my opinion, this seller purposely omitted the fact it did not have a slipcase. I also believe the seller purposely zoomed in on the signature page, so that potential buyers would not see that it was un-numbered.

A lie of omission is sill a lie.

Tried to work it out with the seller but to no avail, so I left him negative feedback which was factual.

jhanic
04-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree. Although the seller was correct under the "letter of the law" he is definitely violating the "spirit of the law". Basically a dishonest person.

John

tippy4
04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
My feeling exactly.

I am pretty sure I was dealing with someone who is either a lawyer or a used car salesman.

harrison ryan
04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Letter vs. Spirit: a good example of why I am generally wary of buying books on Ebay, even though I've largely had good experiences with the few purchases I've made. The general knowledge level and goodwill toward collectors seems to be sorely lacking in a lot of cases, though (but certainly not all!).

Cutter
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree with Jon, that was BS. Tippy you should try and see if Grant has an extra slipcase you can buy? You never know.

carlosdetweiller
04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I think that by claiming the book is 1 of 1,400 he is misleading potential bidders. There were 1,400 numbered copies and an unknown number of "pc" copies, unnumbered copies, etc. By claiming it is 1 of 1,400 he is implying the book is one of the numbered ones.

eBay, PayPal and your credit card company will side with you if you elect to return the book. The few times I have had problems like this I just cease communication with the seller, contact my credit card issuer and return the book with proof of delivery. You can also open a dispute with eBay and PayPal but I usually contact my credit card issuer first. You don't have to keep that book if you don't want to.

tippy4
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree with Jon, that was BS. Tippy you should try and see if Grant has an extra slipcase you can buy? You never know.

Emailed Robert a couple hours ago...no response yet.

Worst case scenario, I get a slipcase from The Collector.

I think that by claiming the book is 1 of 1,400 he is misleading potential bidders. There were 1,400 numbered copies and an unknown number of "pc" copies, unnumbered copies, etc. By claiming it is 1 of 1,400 he is implying the book is one of the numbered ones.

eBay, PayPal and your credit card company will side with you if you elect to return the book. The few times I have had problems like this I just cease communication with the seller, contact my credit card issuer and return the book with proof of delivery. You can also open a dispute with eBay and PayPal but I usually contact my credit card issuer first. You don't have to keep that book if you don't want to.
You and I are on the same page.

Here is an excerpt from an email to him......

When you put "1 of 1,400" in the auction, you implied it was one of the copies numbered 1 to 1400. All 1400 of those copies came with a slipcase. You should click this link to read more about this edition, which will explain, based on the wording in your auction, why most would believe that your book came with a slipcase

I put a link to The Collector's website.

He would not budge.

Ebay has sided with him on the matter.

Let's see if Paypal offers any help.

CRinVA
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
well you know ebay owns paypal so you best best is the credit card liked to your paypal account unless of course you linked to a bank account. they will side with you.

This is one good reason to link to credit cards.

pixiedark76
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I am very upset at a book dealer called Zubal books. I ordered The Gunslinger and they sent me the wrong book! The book I got is nothing like the book I ordered! How could a book dealer be so stupid and screw up an order! I emailed them and I am waiting for a reply.

I hope they ship me the right book! Now, what to do about the wrong book that was shipped. Will they charge me to ship it back to them, I hope not! I am extremely angry!

jhanic
04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
If it's the Zubal Books that I'm thinking of, they're located here in Cleveland. If this IS the one, let me know and I'll PM their phone number.

John

Merlin1958
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Might be some solace in purchasing a case from Dolso for it. He would more than do it justice. Did you all see his "IT" case in the P&J thread? Amazing craftsmanship!!!!!

iowabob
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Definitely worth contacting Grant. Two weeks ago, I discovered that the traycase for my S/L Black House was damaged while in storage. (Apparently rats enjoy nibbling on the faux leather...)

Anyway, I contacted Karen at DMG and within a week had a brand new replacement case at a very reasonable price. :dance:

Rahfa
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I am very upset at a book dealer called Zubal books. I ordered The Gunslinger and they sent me the wrong book! The book I got is nothing like the book I ordered! How could a book dealer be so stupid and screw up an order! I emailed them and I am waiting for a reply.

I hope they ship me the right book! Now, what to do about the wrong book that was shipped. Will they charge me to ship it back to them, I hope not! I am extremely angry!

Haha...try the decaf.

Seriously, mistakes do happen...I could see complaining if they act like you should pay for shipping or whatever...but you're ranting where there isn't actually a problem yet, just a screw up. It's called "life."

Jimimck
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, how dear he complain about a seller here on the forum. If only there was some place designed for members to vent and warn others here of bad experiences they have had online.

Oh wait! That would the the exact purpose of this thread....

Rahfa
04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, how dear he complain about a seller here on the forum. If only there was some place designed for members to vent and warn others here of bad experiences they have had online.

Oh wait! That would the the exact purpose of this thread....

Haha....yeah, but wait until you have something serious to complain about. The thread is called "book dealers to avoid like the plague." I'm not sure this oversight - inconvenient though it is - really qualifies yet. The guy obviously screwed up and sent the wrong book...IF he then expects the buyer to pay return shipping THEN complain.

I think the complaint is over the top and premature....I'm just saying keep things in perspective, and save the ranting for when it's deserved...keep better credibility that way.

It's not a "bad experience" yet. It's a mistake...damn, give the seller a chance to fix it before you blast him by business name in an open forum.

east-tennessee
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I was the one who asked the Qs: if a slipcase comes with the book & I asked what # the book was.
The respones was "the book does not have a slipcase or a number " he stated thats the way he purchased it, and thats why he was selling for such a low amt.
I have since deleted the emails i sent and recieved from hiim.
i wish i would have posted my correspondense from him here...

Adding one to the list.

blues713317713317

S/L DT6 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270727708196&si=pEMDUDMWM6vuU1rheakCx4SOZQ0%253D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1109)

Now, nowhere in the auction does it state that there is a slipcase, nor is there one pictured, nor does the auction state what # the book is.

All that being said, a good seller would have stated "does not come with slipcase" and "this book is not numbered" in the auction, as by definition this book is supposed to come with a slipcase and be numbered.

During our conversations that occurred after I received the book, he admitted to me that, while the auction was live, he had received a question from an interested party asking if a slipcase was included, and that he had told them NO. I asked him why he had not posted the question and answer in the auction, but never answered me.

Seller was unwilling to allow me to send it back (at my expense) for my purchase price minus postage. I provided the seller another option which was to issue me a partial refund and have me keep it which seller also declined.

In my opinion, this seller purposely omitted the fact it did not have a slipcase. I also believe the seller purposely zoomed in on the signature page, so that potential buyers would not see that it was un-numbered.

Tried to work it out with the seller but to no avail, so I left him negative feedback which was factual.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-06-2011, 02:10 AM
I was the one who asked the Qs: if a slipcase comes with the book & I asked what # the book was.
The respones was "the book does not have a slipcase or a number " he stated thats the way he purchased it, and thats why he was selling for such a low amt.
I have since deleted the emails i sent and recieved from hiim.
i wish i would have posted my correspondense from him here...

Adding one to the list.

blues713317713317

A top seller would have gladly posted his question response in the "questions asked" part of his auction for everyone to see. I'm not saying that Ebay should automatically post every question asked to a seller but that information was omitted from the auction and I believe the seller knew it should have been because he stated in his response he was selling it at a lower price because of no number. (OK, that is one long sentence) Anyway, you get my meaning.

His auction isn't illegally stated but all his actions point to being a deceitful seller. Rick has every right to go to his credit card company (forget Paypal) and report this. As Bob said, send the book back registered (signature required). On the other hand, I think you got a signed book for a great price. I believe a future flip will bring you a little $.

Sorry, I ramble before coffee.

Mulleins

Robert Fulman
04-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, I would recommend not mailing the book back, because then you are out your money and your book. If the credit card company rejects your claim, I don't think the seller would be under any obligation to mail the book back to you again, because you sent it back of your own will.

Rahfa
04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
You can ask for a refund for pretty much everything, any way. So even if the seller was 100 percent honest, the buyer still has the right to change their mind.

As sellers, we can say "no refunds!" all we want, but if buyers pay with credit cards, I'm pretty sure they have the right to expect a refund for any reason they want....so I would absolutey dispute it, but I agree - don't send the book back until the process is underway and the credit card company tells you what you need to do.

pixiedark76
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I do recall he was absent from the previous site abruptly and for quite a long time.

If this is the person I am thinking of, I almost bought Dark Tower books from him. I kept emailing him questions about the book, he never got back to me! I thought something was fishy about him! Glad I went with my instincts and sent him no money! He told me to pay his pay pal account or something weird like that.

pixiedark76
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Yes I will admit I did majorly overreact. I feel very bad. I contacted the seller and they got back to me right away. They are shipping me the correct book and they even included a shipping label so I could ship the other book back.
I know I should not have overreacted, but lately I have had way to many bad experiences with book dealers. (Most of them from e-bay!) A lot of booksellers never answer my e-mails or questions.

Zubal books is an excellent company and they are very trustworthy and professional.

Cutter
04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
well you know ebay owns paypal so you best best is the credit card liked to your paypal account unless of course you linked to a bank account. they will side with you.

This is one good reason to link to credit cards.

I agree. A credit card will take care of you 100 times better than Paypal will. I've learned the hard way that Paypal just ins't a s secure as a credit card.

jhanic
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Yes I will admit I did majorly overreact. I feel very bad. I contacted the seller and they got back to me right away. They are shipping me the correct book and they even included a shipping label so I could ship the other book back.
I know I should not have overreacted, but lately I have had way to many bad experiences with book dealers. (Most of them from e-bay!) A lot of booksellers never answer my e-mails or questions.

Zubal books is an excellent company and they are very trustworthy and professional.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I've dealt with Zubal Books locally a very few times and found them to be honest, but to my mind rather high-priced for many things.

John

Rahfa
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Believe me, if that had happened to me, I'd be pissed off too! It's aggravating...

But, speaking as a seller, I would be more pissed at myself...now I'd lose money on two shippings (the right book to you, and the wrong book back to me)...and I'm hoping that you ship the book well-protected and correctly so it doesn't get damaged.

Any mistake like that and you can almost always assume it's a benign screw-up on their end (which they'll end up paying for).

Now, if you'd gotten the correct book, but the description was way off and it was not the right printing, or damaged, or whatever, then you should absolutely complain and I'd be 100 percent behind you.

Stockerlone
04-06-2011, 12:12 PM

If this is the person I am thinking of, I almost bought Dark Tower books from him. I kept emailing him questions about the book, he never got back to me! I thought something was fishy about him! Glad I went with my instincts and sent him no money! He told me to pay his pay pal account or something weird like that.

You mean.....disel24 Gabriel Diaz... He sold to me two sig lim books, i payed the money, then he sold the books again, one to WeDealInLead.... No answer, no books, no money back from Disel24 :doh:

Stockerlone
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Believe me, if that had happened to me, I'd be pissed off too! It's aggravating...

But, speaking as a seller, I would be more pissed at myself...now I'd lose money on two shippings (the right book to you, and the wrong book back to me)...and I'm hoping that you ship the book well-protected and correctly so it doesn't get damaged.

Any mistake like that and you can almost always assume it's a benign screw-up on their end (which they'll end up paying for).

Now, if you'd gotten the correct book, but the description was way off and it was not the right printing, or damaged, or whatever, then you should absolutely complain and I'd be 100 percent behind you.

For me as an ´foreign´ country person, it´s sometimes not so easy to order books from the USA. And sending back to the usa some ´wrong´ books.... expensive ..... expensive....expensive.....
In my case, Zubal books was an perfect company and they are very professional + Cheap...
Ordered some sig lim Robert B. Parker books.

tippy4
04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
A top seller would have gladly posted his question response in the "questions asked" part of his auction for everyone to see. I'm not saying that Ebay should automatically post every question asked to a seller but that information was omitted from the auction and I believe the seller knew it should have been because he stated in his response he was selling it at a lower price because of no number. (OK, that is one long sentence) Anyway, you get my meaning.

His auction isn't illegally stated but all his actions point to being a deceitful seller. Rick has every right to go to his credit card company (forget Paypal) and report this. As Bob said, send the book back registered (signature required). On the other hand, I think you got a signed book for a great price. I believe a future flip will bring you a little $.

Sorry, I ramble before coffee.

Mulleins

Unfortunately, I paid with funds in my Paypal account....not from my credit card.

I have left him negative feedback...he posted a response...I posted a response to that.

In the end, at least got the last word.

I also take comfort in the fact that I am "outing" him here.

Randall Flagg
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
A very important point tippy4. If a person has funds in their Paypal account, Paypal exhausts those funds before allowing ANY other payment method.

tippy4
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I guess the lesson here is that I should have withdrawn all the funds from my account, and then funded the purchase with my credit card.

Randall Flagg
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I had a problem purchase and since the funds came out of Paypal existing balance, I was screwed. It was a small amount, but when it comes to ANYTHING bought on Ebay, it should be considered PAYPALEBAY. They are the same company-and make money on both ends of the transaction. More than 95% of the time I've never had an issue, but the 5% were a PITA.