PDA

View Full Version : Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

tippy4
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I feel the same way....but man....that 5% REALLY pisses me off.

Received this ebay purchase (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=120702530213&si=pEMDUDMWM6vuU1rheakCx4SOZQ0%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_720wt_1094) today, and it showed up with a broken neck. I filed a claim with UPS, and will probably get my purchase price back, but since the retail price of this item is nearly 3 times what I paid for it, I am not happy.

I am not having good week.

BigCoffinHunter
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey Tippy. That really sucks about the slipcase from the other seller for the Dark Tower S/L. Is the book a P/C copy or does it have nothing at all in the number space?

Patrick
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Rick, sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Hope your eBay experiences turn around again quickly.

Pixie, glad your situation worked out the way it should.

tippy4
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Hey Tippy. That really sucks about the slipcase from the other seller for the Dark Tower S/L. Is the book a P/C copy or does it have nothing at all in the number space?

Nothing written in at all.

I am half tempted to write in PC on the blank line.

It irks me that there are unnumbered copies out there.

pixiedark76
04-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I am very upset at a book dealer called Zubal books. I ordered The Gunslinger and they sent me the wrong book! The book I got is nothing like the book I ordered! How could a book dealer be so stupid and screw up an order! I emailed them and I am waiting for a reply.

I hope they ship me the right book! Now, what to do about the wrong book that was shipped. Will they charge me to ship it back to them, I hope not! I am extremely angry!

Yes I will admit I did majorly overreact. I feel very bad. I contacted the seller and they got back to me right away. They are shipping me the correct book and they even included a shipping label so I could ship the other book back.
I know I should not have overreacted, but lately I have had way to many bad experiences with book dealers. (Most of them from e-bay!) A lot of booksellers never answer my e-mails or questions.

Zubal books is an excellent company and they are very trustworthy and professional.

Believe me, if that had happened to me, I'd be pissed off too! It's aggravating...

But, speaking as a seller, I would be more pissed at myself...now I'd lose money on two shippings (the right book to you, and the wrong book back to me)...and I'm hoping that you ship the book well-protected and correctly so it doesn't get damaged.

Any mistake like that and you can almost always assume it's a benign screw-up on their end (which they'll end up paying for).

Now, if you'd gotten the correct book, but the description was way off and it was not the right printing, or damaged, or whatever, then you should absolutely complain and I'd be 100 percent behind you.

I received the correct book today. Zubal books enclosed a shipping label to ship it back. I made sure the book was well protected.

Ari_Racing
07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Please avoid eBay seller ebooksweb123.

I purchased a lot of 10 books from him (more than 300 dls including shipping) and when I was still able to claim the money via Paypal, they always replied emails inmediately. But when the 45 days were gone (consider that shipping transit takes an average of 6 weeks when travelling via surface, so I couldn't start the claim before), they hardly replied my emails.

Apparently I still have time to claim this at my CC company (90 days haven't passed yet), but this kind of claims aren't as easy to start in Argentina than in USA. Hope I can recover that money.

Patrick
07-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Ari. Hope it works out in your favor.

(I moved your post to this thread from another, by the way.)

Room 217 Caretaker
07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Please avoid eBay seller ebooksweb123.

I purchased a lot of 10 books from him (more than 300 dls including shipping) and when I was still able to claim the money via Paypal, they always replied emails inmediately. But when the 45 days were gone (consider that shipping transit takes an average of 6 weeks when travelling via surface, so I couldn't start the claim before), they hardly replied my emails.

Apparently I still have time to claim this at my CC company (90 days haven't passed yet), but this kind of claims aren't as easy to start in Argentina than in USA. Hope I can recover that money.

Good Luck Ari

It looks like this seller has many complaints about slow/no show shipping. Hope you get your CC company to work with you.

Mulleins

Stockerlone
07-10-2011, 12:08 AM
GOOOOOD Luck ARI !!!!
You know, i have the same problem with the pay pal 45 days, with `Gabriel-disel2´and my money--- gone

AND... Congrats for your 4000 POST !!!!!

Ari_Racing
07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Disel is a member here, even when he doesn't post anymore. Maybe you should try to contact him here as well.

Stockerlone
07-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I pm + mailed him 100 times... no answers.....

Ari_Racing
07-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Now that you mentioned it, I remember I paypaled him the payment for the Dark Tower Spotlight from Marvel. I never got it in the end, and since he was having issues with his ex-wife's health, I never asked for the refund (besides, it was pocket money, less than 10 dls).

Stockerlone
07-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Now that you mentioned it, I remember I paypaled him the payment for the Dark Tower Spotlight from Marvel. I never got it in the end, and since he was having issues with his ex-wife's health, I never asked for the refund (besides, it was pocket money, less than 10 dls).

I payed him for sig lim NIGHT VISIONS 5 and sig lim METAHORROR :arg:
He sold my books TWICE, my sig lim NIGHT VISIONS 5 is now in CANADA......

Ari_Racing
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Claim it to the Credit card company. Maybe you can get your refund though them.

Randall Flagg
07-11-2011, 05:20 AM
It's sad, but Gabriel ripped people off. I tried emailing him, but never got a response.

Stockerlone
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Claim it to the Credit card company. Maybe you can get your refund though them.

I payed from my Pay Pal accound and not with Credit card.....
Then... when the 45 days are gone.... no help from pay pal .... and the money is gone..

The hard-funny thing is, i can see MY Night Visons 5, because Gabriel selled the book to an other tdt member, that of cause was very surprised.... and have no idea what Gabriel is dooing....

When someone see METAHORROR signed limited NR 87.... PLS info me.... This is MY BOOK!!!!

My new motto.... NEVER trust NOBODY ´unknown´ :onfire:

BigCoffinHunter
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Nothing written in at all.

I am half tempted to write in PC on the blank line.

It irks me that there are unnumbered copies out there.

You might check with Grant to be sure, but I do not believe that any copies are supposed to go out un-numbered. I received my Dark Tower VII with the number on the round white sticker on the case but there was no number in the book. I spoke with Robert at the time, and he told me that it was an oversight and that no books were supposed to go out without a number.

mcdonaldj
07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Actually, the DTIV replacement copy I just sold has no number after "This is Copy". Sure it came with no slipcase, but the slipcase manufacturer for Grant is not hard to find. I considered having an exact replica made, but went the less expensive route and got a close copy locally in LA. Add slipcase and a few seconds with a pen and you've got a #1 DTIV. Scary stuff...considering the ethics of the folks selling forgeries on Ebay right now.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Scary stuff...considering the ethics of the folks selling forgeries on Ebay right now.

Your statement is correct. Ebay continues to take the sellers side due to statements like this being put into the auction:

"Every effort is made to describe books according to the Association of online booksellers guideline however sometimes things are missed, to that end should I make a listing error then I will only be to glad to refund your money. offer a exchange should it be available and cover the cost of any postage. All other issues including and not limited to: damage in transit (if not insured), condition conjecture, format, color, size, condition, and authenticity are not the responsibility of the seller and will not be refunded.
I will without fail answer all questions prior to purchase so please use the contact seller button before the buy it now/ best offer button to avoid any confusion or disappointment. I am a professional bookseller by trade and also a collector myself so I am here to help you make a informed purchase."

The above statement is from an active seller who sold two highly suspect King signed books, two highly suspect Bush signed books, and just put another Bush signed book on Ebay but didn't post pictures of the signature.

Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, the buyer has homework responsibilities before pulling the trigger.

Mulleins

Randall Flagg
07-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, the buyer has homework responsibilities before pulling the trigger.

Mulleins

Buyer Beware.

jemaher
07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
there is no way to protect yourself from scummy dealers

TwistedNadine
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I disagree. Know before you go and buyer beware. Nothing is stopping you from doing your homework before pulling the trigger. I learned the hard way that not all sellers are ethical and honest but ultimately it's up to me to verify signatures, price compare, ask questions and demand pictures. And always use a credit card that has a very good Charge Back policy...

Rahfa
07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Again, though, these "no refund" policies will not hold up...if you feel you got scammed, and it's within the credit card dispute window, the seller is obligated to refund you.

Paypal just sent me an annoying update that they will hold my funds for 21 days after purchases to protect against disputes...I've never had a dispute, but I do withdraw money on the same day, which would put Paypal on the hook of a credit card dispute (since they couldn't hold my money), obviously they're being proactive for the reasons I just outlined...still annoying, though, since I've never had any problems.

mcdonaldj
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with the buyer beware, but at the same time, especially for first time buyers, some of these guys have solid Ebay feedback - why wouldn't they think it was legit? By chance I happened across this site, or I could see having made a similar mistake for my first purchase.

On a seperate topic, how much would you pay for a DTI with poor condition dust jacket (small tears, a small hole and multiple scratches)? Book is in excellent shape.

Rahfa
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Everybody here's made mistakes...you screw up, learn from it, move on - try not to make the first mistake a high-dollar one.

Randall Flagg
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Everybody here's made mistakes...you screw up, learn from it, move on - try not to make the first mistake a high-dollar one.
Or the second, third.....:)

Rahfa
07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Haha...true...but once you're invested in it, a big mistake can be easier to take because you'll have some successes to make you feel better...

Or, maybe it will just infuriate you even more that you should have known better and still screwed up....haha...

sgc1999
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
scammer is still at it! http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-GIRL-LOVED-TOM-GORDON-SIGNED-1st-1st-/140576599817?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1319630679623841833

Shannon
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I hate that guy. I won't even buy his real, non-signed books. I hope he slowly gets run over by a steamroller one day.

mcdonaldj
07-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Sending very bad karma his way - what a tool.

jemaher
07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
It is embarrassing how many "high Dollar" mistakes Ive made. You live and learn and try not to be taken...... But nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool

TwistedNadine
07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
But nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool

Nicely said

Cutter
07-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh boy my friend filip1 still has the book I ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMP-SIX-AND-OTHER-STORIES-Paolo-Bacigalupi-SIGNED-LTD-/320699163249?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item4aab28e271#ht_527wt_905

I bought this book for $75. He strung me along and said he sent it twice, and dragged it out after 45 days until I couldn't get my money back.

I bought the book one day after Bacigalupi won the Hugo award. So the author went from a no-name author to someone now worth collecting. Obviously filip1 felt the same way after the Hugo's were released, so he never sent me the book. He now has the same book he said that he sent me on sale at $600 from a $1000 listing. Ridiculous! If this loser figured out he now had a collectible author all he had to do was refund my money and say the book wasn't in stock. But no, he didn't want to give up the money I paid him for the book. This guy's a scammer!

btw, if anyone would have an idea on how I could narc on this guy or something from a sale about a year old, please let me know. Thanks!

namelessnpoor
07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Anyone know a Danny Lenzini from the UK? Not sure if he is on here or not. Anyway I have dealt with him in the past with no issues, and he recently contacted me about some books I had on ebay. So since i knew him and had no issues before, we worked out a deal off ebay. For some cash and some UK editions I wanted. He sent the money to paypal right away, So i sent the books to the UK. They arrived safe and sound according to USPS. Since then (over a month now) I have received no response to about 8 emails and as you guessed, no books for me from the UK. I will try and find his ebay name and let you all know that also ! best part...more or less nothing i can do ! He got his books at a great price and still gets to keep his others !

ebay name is inizneld oddly enough he has 100% feedback, but i guess if you rip people off outside of ebay your feedback will stay good !

TwistedNadine
07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
These ebay sellers who screw people over: What would happen if you "buy" a book from them, never pay, then leave negative feed back? Ive never done something like that but I am always amazed how these scammers seem to have 100% (or very close to it) positive feed back. This strategy may not get your money back or the book in your hand but it would at least alert other buyers and MAYBE put a fire under the sellers butt to make right his deal with you. But would there be Ebay consequences to that to you as the buyer?

ELazansky
07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Everyone has different experiences with the same seller. I have purchased numerous books from Otto (filip1) and have never had any issues. Even bought one book from him outside of eBay and had no problems at all.

LostAlivE
07-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Has anyone ever have dealings with critical*path?
I sent him a cashiers check and he told me he was waiting for the check to clear.......isn't a "cashiers check" the same as cash in that it is guarenteed to be there.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I sent him a cashiers check and he told me he was waiting for the check to clear.......isn't a "cashiers check" the same as cash in that it is guarenteed to be there.

It is my understanding a cashiers check can be put on hold to clear. The length of a hold varies (2 days to 2 weeks) depending on the bank. I once thought a cashiers check was same as cash but apparently it's not.

Mulleins

namelessnpoor
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM

just as an FYI, i have bought and sold a number of books with him and had no issues, all books were just as described and arrived promptly.

jhanic
07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I think there are lots of phony cashier's checks out there. I've dealt with critical path before and he's one of the good guys. I can't really blame him for being careful.

John

LostAlivE
07-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you guys that eases my mind alot.

Rahfa
07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Yeah, just to add one more vote - you'll be fine.

Pasiuk57
07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Critical Path is ok by me also
never had a problem with him

AKC
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I've dealt with Chris (Critical Path) MANY times. First-Class individual and an "insider" within the King World......

No worries at all. Flexible with Payment Terms as well....

AKC

Cutter
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Everyone has different experiences with the same seller. I have purchased numerous books from Otto (filip1) and have never had any issues. Even bought one book from him outside of eBay and had no problems at all.

That still does not excuse him from ripping me off. And please don't try to say this guy is ok. How would you feel if someone lost $100 trying to buy a book from him after reading your post. We are trying to help Dark Tower members here, not hurt them. here's a negative feedback from his profile: "Screwed me. 2 DIFFERENT TRANSACTIONS . Took money, no emails, no book." Sounds like what happened to me. I feel for the guy who got screwed.

Btw, I've also received pm's from others in the past about this seller when I have complained about him in the past, plus others have posted the same. So I'm not the only one who thinks he's a sleeze. If you had a good experience with him then that's great and consider yourself lucky. I wish I had the experience that you did with this seller. :(

@TwistedNadine, when someone sells thousands of items they can have a great seller record like filip1 even though he has many negative posts. Heck I bought probably 20 books from filip1 before he screwed me over, and every sale ran like a charm, until my last transaction with him. So never again will I buy from him. Steal my money once and you lose me as a customer. Too bad I couldn't have given him a negative post. he strung me out after 45 days and I couldn't post negative feedback. I wonder how many others he's done this to, and how many other negative posts he could have. Anyway, screwing over 20-40 people a year and selling a thousand products will still allow you to look like a school boy on ebay.

ELazansky
07-18-2011, 12:19 PM

That still does not excuse him from ripping me off. And please don't try to say this guy is ok. How would you feel if someone lost $100 trying to buy a book from him after reading your post. We are trying to help Dark Tower members here, not hurt them. here's a negative feedback from his profile: "Screwed me. 2 DIFFERENT TRANSACTIONS . Took money, no emails, no book." Sounds like what happened to me. I feel for the guy who got screwed.

Btw, I've also received pm's from others in the past about this seller when I have complained about him in the past, plus others have posted the same. So I'm not the only one who thinks he's a sleeze. If you had a good experience with him then that's great and consider yourself lucky. I wish I had the experience that you did with this seller. :(

@TwistedNadine, when someone sells thousands of items they can have a great seller record like filip1 even though he has many negative posts. Heck I bought probably 20 books from filip1 before he screwed me over, and every sale ran like a charm, until my last transaction with him. So never again will I buy from him. Steal my money once and you lose me as a customer. Too bad I couldn't have given him a negative post. he strung me out after 45 days and I couldn't post negative feedback. I wonder how many others he's done this to, and how many other negative posts he could have. Anyway, screwing over 20-40 people a year and selling a thousand products will still allow you to look like a school boy on ebay.

Geoff,

You're right, it sucks what happened to you, and I certainly wasn't trying to defend him. He has some other books I was interested in, but since so many others seems to be getting screwed by him, I'm going to have to steer clear of him. I don't want to become his next victim.

jhanic
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
My feelings exactly. I was able to buy a low-number LSOE set from him and had absolutely no problems. That will be the only time I buy from him, though.

John

Merlin1958
07-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Geoff,

You're right, it sucks what happened to you, and I certainly wasn't trying to defend him. He has some other books I was interested in, but since so many others seems to be getting screwed by him, I'm going to have to steer clear of him. I don't want to become his next victim.

Hey, that's good to know!!! Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry you got screwed. Maybe something in his life changed that turned him into a criminal. Itoo, have several purchases from him in the past (PS Publishing "TCK" w/sc comes to mind) and never had a problem. Obviously, he was seduced by the "Dark Side"!!! You have my sympathies, Cutter!!! Ebay will not entertain a complaint given the entire tale?

I have also dealt with "Critical Path" in the past and no complaints here.

Patrick
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I've purchased from filip1 (Otto) multiple times without issue. It's a bummer to hear the problems that Geoff has had. I thought Otto was one of the good ones.

Cutter
07-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, like I said, I had many good transactions with filip1 before this happened. But my case was special. I bought a book priced at $75 that he couldn't sell a day after this author won the Hugo award. He has the same book now listed on sale at $600 (normally $1,000). It's just a case of greed. He figured out after the author won that award and became very popular very fast that he probably should sell it for more, which he is now doing. it's marked up $525 from when I bought it.

Now where he becomes a sleeze is he could have just said he he was out of stock, or the book already sold and just refunded my money, but he gave me the runaround for a month and a half until I couldn't complain to eBay about it. I trusted him because we did have good deals before this happened. Regardless I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. It would be a risk, you would probably get your book, but you might not, as others have been screwed by him.

btw, don't worry about it Eric. I'm just mad that I saw the book I paid for selling for $600 yesterday, so I'm all huffed up. :)

WeDealInLead
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I posted this before so here's the abridged version of my experience. I bought a slipcased edition of Knowing Darkness. It arrived without one. I asked where it was and he said the description doesn't mention the book comes with one. I shouldn't be asking if the slipase was missing asshole, you should tell me it's missing. Should I assume my new car will come with wheels or do I need to make sure with the dealer?

Stockerlone
07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I posted this before so here's the abridged version of my experience. I bought a slipcased edition of Knowing Darkness. It arrived without one. I asked where it was and he said the description doesn't mention the book comes with one. I shouldn't be asking if the slipase was missing asshole, you should tell me it's missing. Should I assume my new car will come with wheels or do I need to make sure with the dealer?

Crazy...

Merlin1958
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM

While I truly feel for ya, getting a raw deal like that, it just reinforces that on Ebay "Buyer Beware"!!! There are a lot of "Schmucks" out there!!

BTW, I'd report him and give Negative feedback!!!

On the bright side, now you can get a finely crafted "Dolso" KD display case for your book!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Rahfa
07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I'd have to see the listing to totally be on your side, but bottom line you should say "I want a refund," and send it back. Like I've said before, he can't refuse that - even if he acts like he will.

Just say, "I'll dispute it with my credit card. You'll lose, and it might affect your future ability to accept credit card payments. Do you want that?"

Like Merlin said, 'buyer beware.' Was the listing a bargain price? Was there any reason to think you were getting too good a deal?

But I'm mostly on your side...the seller was obviously trying to be underhanded by not mentioning it.

e_taylor
07-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, like I said, I had many good transactions with filip1 before this happened. But my case was special. I bought a book priced at $75 that he couldn't sell a day after this author won the Hugo award. He has the same book now listed on sale at $600 (normally $1,000). It's just a case of greed. He figured out after the author won that award and became very popular very fast that he probably should sell it for more, which he is now doing. it's marked up $525 from when I bought it.

Now where he becomes a sleeze is he could have just said he he was out of stock, or the book already sold and just refunded my money, but he gave me the runaround for a month and a half until I couldn't complain to eBay about it. I trusted him because we did have good deals before this happened. Regardless I wouldn't recommend him to anyone. It would be a risk, you would probably get your book, but you might not, as others have been screwed by him.

btw, don't worry about it Eric. I'm just mad that I saw the book I paid for selling for $600 yesterday, so I'm all huffed up. :)

No matter how good a relationship I have with a seller, I always file a PayPal claim if the book hasn't shown up by day 44.

I did this once with Otto and he sent me another copy of the book that went missing.

I think most sellers will respect the fact that you have to cover your ass in these types of situations.

Cutter
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
No matter how good a relationship I have with a seller, I always file a PayPal claim if the book hasn't shown up by day 44.

I did this once with Otto and he sent me another copy of the book that went missing.

I think most sellers will respect the fact that you have to cover your ass in these types of situations.

Yea, I was a fool. I'll never let that happen again.

And I'm not surprised you had to file a claim against Otto. lol

Robert Fulman
07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
My main problem with filip1 is that his books seem to be perpetully on sale, and the sales are always ending soon. For example, he has a copy of Lawrence Block's "Random Walk" signed/limited that has been 50% off, marked down from $42 to $21 for at least three months (current sale ends in 21 hours, though! Better Hurry!). In the case of that specific book, I sent a question asking if the book was numbered, or simply limited, and he replied "It's not numbered", but then he changed the listing to say that it is numbered.

WeDealInLead
07-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I'd have to see the listing to totally be on your side, but bottom line you should say "I want a refund," and send it back. Like I've said before, he can't refuse that - even if he acts like he will.

Just say, "I'll dispute it with my credit card. You'll lose, and it might affect your future ability to accept credit card payments. Do you want that?"

Like Merlin said, 'buyer beware.' Was the listing a bargain price? Was there any reason to think you were getting too good a deal?

But I'm mostly on your side...the seller was obviously trying to be underhanded by not mentioning it.

It was $95 + shipping. That's a good deal but those slipcased sell for $120 so it wasn't exactly a giveaway. He often has books on sale for up to 70% off. It wouldn't have been worth it to send the book back even if he accepted it. Shipping from Canada would've been $40-50. I couldn't leave a negative because the listing didn't say the slipcase was included... but it also didn't say it was missing. Does anyone expect missing parts when buying something or ANYTHING at all brand new?

I sold the book locally at a loss and saved up for the traycased version.

e_taylor
07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Yea, I was a fool. I'll never let that happen again.

And I'm not surprised you had to file a claim against Otto. lol

I don't know if he never sent it or if it got lost, but the problem was fixed.

I've done a number of book for book trades with Otto too.

I think your experience is probably the exception as opposed to the rule.

Rahfa
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

It was $95 + shipping. That's a good deal but those slipcased sell for $120 so it wasn't exactly a giveaway. He often has books on sale for up to 70% off. It wouldn't have been worth it to send the book back even if he accepted it. Shipping from Canada would've been $40-50. I couldn't leave a negative because the listing didn't say the slipcase was included... but it also didn't say it was missing. Does anyone expect missing parts when buying something or ANYTHING at all brand new?

I sold the book locally at a loss and saved up for the traycased version.

Sounds like you handled it in the most stress-free way possible...haha...

That's not such a deal that you should have expected a 'missing part.' He def. should have mentioned it was missing, and you should not really have been obliged to ask.

If you dispute a charge for inaccurate item, they'll likely be obligated to pay return shipping...truth is, credit card users have quite a bit more power than you probably think. But whatever, if you're loss was $20 or whatever, it's a lesson learned and you move on. Not worth any more stress than a few posts on a message board...haha...

namelessnpoor
07-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Anyone know a Danny Lenzini from the UK? Not sure if he is on here or not. Anyway I have dealt with him in the past with no issues, and he recently contacted me about some books I had on ebay. So since i knew him and had no issues before, we worked out a deal off ebay. For some cash and some UK editions I wanted. He sent the money to paypal right away, So i sent the books to the UK. They arrived safe and sound according to USPS. Since then (over a month now) I have received no response to about 8 emails and as you guessed, no books for me from the UK. I will try and find his ebay name and let you all know that also ! best part...more or less nothing i can do ! He got his books at a great price and still gets to keep his others !

ebay name is inizneld oddly enough he has 100% feedback, but i guess if you rip people off outside of ebay your feedback will stay good !

UPDATE:
So I finally heard back from this guy and after a few emails of him explaining why he was not around and him apologizing, by books are supposed to be on their way along with a couple others i needed to make up for the long delay. He offered the books on his own, or offered to just paypal me extra money. I chose the books because i still need/want them and the couple extras he offered i also need. Whether or not his story about his absence is true I will never know (and he actually even said this himself, that i have no way of verifying is story) so we will see once the books arrive how ell this turns out. Hopefully his story was true and he is true to his word on what he is sending me.
Will update gain once the books get here.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-23-2011, 05:22 AM

UPDATE:
So I finally heard back from this guy and after a few emails of him explaining why he was not around and him apologizing, by books are supposed to be on their way along with a couple others i needed to make up for the long delay. He offered the books on his own, or offered to just paypal me extra money. I chose the books because i still need/want them and the couple extras he offered i also need. Whether or not his story about his absence is true I will never know (and he actually even said this himself, that i have no way of verifying is story) so we will see once the books arrive how ell this turns out. Hopefully his story was true and he is true to his word on what he is sending me.

Hope it turns out well Rusty.

By the way, your box left VA yesterday as promised. I will PM you the tracking.

Mulleins

namelessnpoor
07-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Thanks Mulleins !

jemaher
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
eBay need to have a "Creepometer" to let you know when you are dealing with a sheister!

namelessnpoor
08-14-2011, 09:21 AM

UPDATE:

UPDATE PART 2:
So to be fair I wanted to finish out this post. The books that were promised as part ofthe trade deal, did finally arrive last week and sent along with them were 2 other UK editions that i needed. He added to those t the shipment to make up for the long dealy and lack of communication. All thebooks were packed well and were very nice copies, I would say they were very good to fine copies and I was defintelyhappy with them. So it appears that he was true t his word and maybe he did nthave an unfortunate series of events that caused all the delays and his absence from the interent for over a month.
This defintely had a happy ending and it seems he is a decent guy.

Jimimck
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear the good news. Also, good on ya for letting us know he turned out to be on the level.

Cook
08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
namelessnpoor,
Great to hear it all worked out well.
By chance are any of the new acquisitions coming to the signing in VA?

namelessnpoor
08-14-2011, 12:38 PM
namelessnpoor,

Probably not, they were mainly just UK 1st/1sts that i needed, nothing special. But with those finally here, I am down to only 3 more UK editions to have a complete 1st/1st collection of UK's to go with my US collection.
Still not sure whats coming to VA ! I decide and then change my mind, then next thing you know I am back staring at my book case again trying to figure out wat to take. I get to bring 2 books, since my wife is accompaning me, and that makes it even harder. Got my 1st Gunslinger and 1st Carrie signed in DC. Keep goingback and forth between Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift, The Stand. Still considering my 1st/1st Viking Gunslinger because then I would have a complete set of signed Gunslingers (I have signed 1st, 2nd, 3rd editions). Also been wanting a signed a Blaze ! So as you can see i really have no idea.

Cook
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
namelessnpoor,

Probably not, they were mainly just UK 1st/1sts that i needed, nothing special. But with those finally here, I am down to only 3 more UK editions to have a complete 1st/1st collection of UK's to go with my US collection.
Still not sure whats coming to VA ! I decide and then change my mind, then next thing you know I am back staring at my book case again trying to figure out wat to take. I get to bring 2 books, since my wife is accompaning me, and that makes it even harder. Got my 1st Gunslinger and 1st Carrie signed in DC. Keep goingback and forth between Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift, The Stand. Still considering my 1st/1st Viking Gunslinger because then I would have a complete set of signed Gunslingers (I have signed 1st, 2nd, 3rd editions). Also been wanting a signed a Blaze ! So as you can see i really have no idea.

If you want my opinion based on what you just listed, also depending on condition.
Seeing as how you already Carrie & Gunslinger, hands down "The Stand" & "Salem's Lot"

Also what 3 UK trade editions are you looking for?

namelessnpoor
08-14-2011, 01:26 PM
namelessnpoor,

If you want my opinion based on what you just listed, also depending on condition.
Seeing as how you already Carrie & Gunslinger, hands down "The Stand" & "Salem's Lot"

Also what 3 UK trade editions are you looking for?

Thanks for the advice, pretty sure Salem's Lot will be one of the 2.
Looking forthe Expensive ones: Carrie, Night Shift and The Bachman Books (this one should be fairly easy to get and not to pricey)
However the other 2, not sure when I will have the budget for those !

Merlin1958
08-14-2011, 07:52 PM
namelessnpoor,

Ahem, my UK/US collection is complete!! You will love it when yours is as well!!!

(I am entitled to crow now and again, right????)

Glad it all worked out, my friend!!!

biomieg
08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Bill, I didn't know you had a full set of UK 1sts already? When did you get the 'Big Ones'?

Merlin1958
08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
As far as "the big ones" I have all the DD UK editions except a bonafide "The Stand" and "Salem's Lot". I figure those two are almost unobtainable from my price perspective, but the others I have managed to acquire over the years. The Shining, The Bachman Books and Danse Macabre were the last three for me. Then I just "called it". Know what I mean?

I do have a full UK set of DT books, though.

Shannon
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Save up and buy the ones you need! Nothing needed is ever too expensive. :)

Merlin1958
08-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Well, it appears in "your world" if you own it for a day, it's yours!!!!

Randall Flagg
08-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Well, it appears in "your world" if you own it for a day, it's yours!!!!
'tis better to have loved and lost....

Patrick
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM

UPDATE:

UPDATE PART 2:
So to be fair I wanted to finish out this post. The books that were promised as part ofthe trade deal, did finally arrive last week and sent along with them were 2 other UK editions that i needed. He added to those t the shipment to make up for the long dealy and lack of communication. All thebooks were packed well and were very nice copies, I would say they were very good to fine copies and I was defintelyhappy with them. So it appears that he was true t his word and maybe he did nthave an unfortunate series of events that caused all the delays and his absence from the interent for over a month.
This defintely had a happy ending and it seems he is a decent guy.

I'm glad to hear this worked out well in the end. Thanks for letting us know.

sgc1999
08-28-2011, 06:12 AM
heres an obvious forgery! http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARRIE-signed-Stephen-King-/160643437394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2567185352

AKC
08-28-2011, 09:05 AM
heres an obvious forgery! http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARRIE-signed-Stephen-King-/160643437394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2567185352

There has been a few comments on that same auction in the eBay BS Questionable Signatures Thread.....

AKC

sgc1999
08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
so sad! http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STEPHEN-KING-1sts-inc-DEAD-ZONE-signed-FIRESTARTER-/140599712527?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item20bc655b0f

Ben Staad
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
so sad! http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-STEPHEN-KING-1sts-inc-DEAD-ZONE-signed-FIRESTARTER-/140599712527?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item20bc655b0f

I think that it's complete BS that they can get away with listing stuff like this with a disclaimer of "possibly signed". Coming from the perspective of a newish collector I can see how people get sucked into these traps.

Ari_Racing
09-01-2011, 05:46 AM
If anyone has been cheated by Jonathan Reitan, he posted a msg in Lilja's Library's FB 15 hours ago, so he might be around if you want to contact him.

jhanic
09-01-2011, 06:05 AM
I had my problems with Jonathon a few years ago, but they've all been resolved. I made up my mind then that I would never deal with him again, though.

John

Brice
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
If anyone has been cheated by Jonathan Reitan, he posted a msg in Lilja's Library's FB 15 hours ago, so he might be around if you want to contact him.

Thanks! I might bother to ask if he was going to do me right, but at this point I'm not expecting anything really.

Stockerlone
09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
UPDATE...
Gabriel Diaz.... :shoot: The disel24 --- selling Books twice Guy----

He make some business, and send an mail.... to ME... not to the correct person.....

Now, i send some mails to:

A.: Gabriel Diaz ... --- MONEY BACK ---
B.: The business partner from Gabriel :cool_002: Talking a little bit about the chating-business from ´disel24´-Gabriel .....

Ari_Racing
09-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't understand anything :unsure:

Stockerlone
09-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry... longer story... end of last year.. beginn new year... disel24 Gabriel Diaz.. at this time member of the forum selled me some signed limited books... I payed Pay Pal .. and then i .. WAIT:.... Wait..
Then when the PP-Help time was over.... surprise... he selled the books twice... one to an other forum member... that have no idea that he selled the book´s twice.....
The Pay Pal Help time was over.... NO money back.. and Gabriel Diaz never ever answers to mails... and never ever come back to the forum....

Today... he send an mail..... WRONG --- to me..
Hope that i become in contact with Gabriel Diaz... and that i become the money Back.. and when not ...
maybe i can info the ´business´ partner from Gabiel Diaz about ... his cheating-business skills...

Ari_Racing
09-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, now I get it.

Sorry to hear that, pal. As far as I know, he cheated more people here. I remember I sent him a payment for the first DT comic and he never got me back. It was only 3.5 bucks, so no big deal, but still...bad bussiness.

Stockerlone
09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
... This was a ... not so funny experience..

It was a very ´SPECIAL´ moment to see in the NEW PRIDE AND JOY ...area... one of MY books.... that gabriel selled to an other tdt member ... that have NO IDEA of the -- selling twice......

Damn... when i cheat someone, it´s not so clever to sell the book/s to other people in the same Forum.
Now... MY book .. traveled ... from Canada to the USA.... I keep an eye on this book :scared:

And.... WHEN SOMEONE see METAHORROR sig lim NR 87 ..... This is also MY BOOK :biggrin1:

neosatus
09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Yikes, I really hate hearing about people getting ripped off ://

wizardsrainbow
09-12-2011, 06:01 AM
disel24....yes, I have hsad a few dealings with him...initial ones went smoothly. The last one took a very very long time, but I got the book in the end. Stockerlone, I think you and I were involved in one of those selling the book twice things. What book did you not get?

Stockerlone
09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
disel24....yes, I have hsad a few dealings with him...initial ones went smoothly. The last one took a very very long time, but I got the book in the end. Stockerlone, I think you and I were involved in one of those selling the book twice things. What book did you not get?

The book-buy-cheating deal was ... november 2010

The first, that he selled to an other member was NIGHT VISIONS 5 NR 60.

WeDealInLead knows nothing, it was´funny´ at this time i still wait for my books,
and then i see MY NIGHT VISIONS in his ´pride+joy´ thread.
Now MY NV5 ´TRAVELED´ to ELazansky, i try to track the book for the next time,
maybe in 25 years the book ´comes´ to me :lol1:

The other ´still´ missing book is Metahorror sig lim NR 87. I try to find out where this book is...

jemaher
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Kinda makes you wish we could have a "Cheaters hall of fame" ....solicit nominations from the panel and vote em in just like a digital cooperstown....

Merlin1958
09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Kinda makes you wish we could have a "Cheaters hall of fame" ....solicit nominations from the panel and vote em in just like a digital cooperstown....

Actually, not a bad idea.

:idea::idea::idea:

Brice
09-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks! I might bother to ask if he was going to do me right, but at this point I'm not expecting anything really.

The short version is Jonathan completely did right by me. I mean the wait for it was loooooonnnnngg, but all the extra stuff he sent along with the Phantasmagorias that I bought has me satisfied...happy even. One small item I'd been hunting for several years. Pics to come soon.

Ari_Racing
09-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm really glad you worked it out and JReitan sent you the stuff. :)

Brice
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you! I am too.

TwistedNadine
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
This seller will not post nor email pics of the signatures. He has listed several SK books over the past few weeks none of which have pics. I doubt anyone here would buy from him without seeing a pic first but thought I would mention it. Buyers beware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desperation-by-Stephen-King-1996-Hardcover-Signed-by-Stephen-/280885330235?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item416612013b

Randall Flagg
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
What was the screen name of the member "Gabriel". I know Gabriel wasn't the screen name, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
He burned some overseas members....

Brice
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
diesel?

Randall Flagg
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
diesel?
Close but not it.

Brice
06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Here he is..

disel24

ELazansky
06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I think it was Diesel24

Brice
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I did too until I looked and saw there was no such member and disel24 has the same av. I also read through old posts of his and am pretty sure it's him.

Stockerlone
06-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Gabriel Diaz = Diesel24
:arg::shoot::evil::pullhair::emot-aslol::doh:
That has been my worst experience as a book collector.

Randall Flagg
06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Here he is..

disel24

Correct.

Shannon
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Which would be a better place to identify a newer TDT.org member as someone to avoid like the plague, here or in the Collectible Classifieds (where his name has already been brought up a few times)? Thanks.

Merlin1958
06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Which would be a better place to identify a newer TDT.org member as someone to avoid like the plague, here or in the Collectible Classifieds (where his name has already been brought up a few times)? Thanks.

Good Question!!!!

:emot-cthulhu:

Brice
06-02-2012, 04:25 PM
If you don't feel you can resolve the issues privately I would say here probably.

Shannon
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
TDT.org Member To Avoid Like The Plague: TheLangoleer

I don't normally blast people in public, but I feel that it is my duty to inform everyone around me about a member that is a COMPLETE. WASTE. OF. TIME. when it comes to transactions. TheLangoleer. The communication started off friendly enough, he wanted my SODV1 ARC with remarque. OK, cool, Pics, prices, we're good to go ... He asks if he can pay me later. Yeah, sure, no worries. Well, later doesn't come. That was the last time he mentioned the SODV1 ARC. So, a while later:

We start up a conversation about another transaction. He wanted my Dark Tower set. After pics and prices, we somehow settled on a final list of items he wanted. I saw somehow because a bit of the conversation went something like this:

Me: "OK, so you want DT 2, DT 3, and DT 4, right?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "OK, that'll be (random number) $100."
Him: "Oh wait, I found my DT 2 on the shelf, let's replace that with a DT 5 Artist Edition. That'll still be $100, right?"
Me: "No, I'll have to take off $50 for the DT2 and add $100 for the DT 5 Artist Edition. That'll come out to $150."
Him: "OK, so that'll be $120?"
Me: "No, that'll be $150."

So on and so on. Anyway, when we FINALLY settled on what he wanted, he said he wanted to lower the transaction with a trade. Will I take trades? Yeah, sure ... no worries. He says "Here, take this, it's worth $250 easy" so I do a price check, and there's one or two sitting unsold for a while at Betts for $225. I tell him I can take $180 for it and hope to sell it for $200. So, after going back and forth with the price (see above), we settle on a number. OK, good. Now get this ... he wants me to send him the books first!

Are you kidding me!? Why would I send the books first? Why would I even send the books at the same time that he sends me the trade item? I don't know him and he's a new member. Oh, and I'm the seller. No, I tell him that I'll wait for the funds and the trade item. He takes offense to that and questions why I think he's a criminal. "Just because you haven't dealt with me before doesn't make me a criminal", blah blah. Anyway, I finally get it through his thick skull that he's going first. OK, fine. He says he'll send the money and the proof the next day. The next day comes, I don't hear from him. I wait another day, nothing. No money deposited, no email. I contact him, he says "Blah blah blah, been busy, will send money and item in a few days". A few days come and go, nothing. I email him AGAIN asking where the tracking number/item and funds are. He finally responds and says something about his bank transactions being expired for the month and I'm going to have to wait until the first. By this time, I'm already done with this joker. I would NORMALLY tell him to go fuck off, but I need the money. So I wait. The first comes (and goes) and I don't hear anything from him. I contact him yesterday, no response. I contacted him today to give him a heads up that I'm going to post this message on the boards (I'm just a nice guy like that), and he finally responds. You gotta read this message.

"Maybe you should take into account the state of the economy and the fact I just got laid off from my accounting firm. If I said I'd buy something from you I will. Just give me time to get a damn job. We all aren't escaping the economy like that liberal Obama would like you to believe.

Nicholas R."

LOL, what the hell!? What the hell does losing your job or not having your job have to do with communication? TELL ME you can't afford the items right now instead of wasting my FUCKING time. So, in conclusion, stay away from this clown. DO NOT send him money or items FIRST. You will be sorry. There have been other members here who have had problems with him. You're welcome.

Shannon

Garrell
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
LOL, saw his "stunt" in the wanted thread and already realized to avoid him.

neosatus
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for posting Shannon. I almost did a deal with him but he flaked when it seemed he may get the book cheaper via an eBay auction. So I'm glad for that...

Thelangoleer
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM

I don't normally blast people in public, but I feel that it is my duty to inform everyone around me about a member that is a COMPLETE. WASTE. OF. TIME. when it comes to transactions. TheLangoleer. The communication started off friendly enough, he wanted my SODV1 ARC with remarque. OK, cool, Pics, prices, we're good to go ... He asks if he can pay me later. Yeah, sure, no worries. Well, later doesn't come. That was the last time he mentioned the SODV1 ARC. So, a while later:

We start up a conversation about another transaction. He wanted my Dark Tower set. After pics and prices, we somehow settled on a final list of items he wanted. I saw somehow because a bit of the conversation went something like this:

Him: "Oh wait, I found my DT 2 on the shelf, let's replace that with a DT 5 Artist Edition. That'll still be $100, right?"
Me: "No, I'll have to take off $50 for the DT2 and add $100 for the DT 5 Artist Edition. That'll come out to $150."

So on and so on. Anyway, when we FINALLY settled on what he wanted, he said he wanted to lower the transaction with a trade. Will I take trades? Yeah, sure ... no worries. He says "Here, take this, it's worth $250 easy" so I do a price check, and there's one or two sitting unsold for a while at Betts for $225. I tell him I can take $180 for it and hope to sell it for $200. So, after going back and forth with the price (see above), we settle on a number. OK, good. Now get this ... he wants me to send him the books first!

Are you kidding me!? Why would I send the books first? Why would I even send the books at the same time that he sends me the trade item? I don't know him and he's a new member. Oh, and I'm the seller. No, I tell him that I'll wait for the funds and the trade item. He takes offense to that and questions why I think he's a criminal. "Just because you haven't dealt with me before doesn't make me a criminal", blah blah. Anyway, I finally get it through his thick skull that he's going first. OK, fine. He says he'll send the money and the proof the next day. The next day comes, I don't hear from him. I wait another day, nothing. No money deposited, no email. I contact him, he says "Blah blah blah, been busy, will send money and item in a few days". A few days come and go, nothing. I email him AGAIN asking where the tracking number/item and funds are. He finally responds and says something about his bank transactions being expired for the month and I'm going to have to wait until the first. By this time, I'm already done with this joker. I would NORMALLY tell him to go fuck off, but I need the money. So I wait. The first comes (and goes) and I don't hear anything from him. I contact him yesterday, no response. I contacted him today to give him a heads up that I'm going to post this message on the boards (I'm just a nice guy like that), and he finally responds. You gotta read this message.

"Maybe you should take into account the state of the economy and the fact I just got laid off from my accounting firm. If I said I'd buy something from you I will. Just give me time to get a damn job. We all aren't escaping the economy like that liberal Obama would like you to believe.

Nicholas R."

LOL, what the hell!? What the hell does losing your job or not having your job have to do with communication? TELL ME you can't afford the items right now instead of wasting my FUCKING time. So, in conclusion, stay away from this clown. DO NOT send him money or items FIRST. You will be sorry. There have been other members here who have had problems with him. You're welcome.

Shannon

I love how you are quoting me with things I never said - I made sure to save every single email exchange we had - I can post them if you like? NOT ONCE DID I EVER ASK YOU TO SEND BOOKS BEFORE THE MONEY. what I asked was for you to send the books AFTER I paid and AT THE SAME TIME as I shipped my trade item.

Brice
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm just deleting your double post.

neosatus
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Ha, he just send me a PM saying he never ever talked to me before, yet it was only 2 weeks ago he asked me to hold my book for him so he could gather the funds for it (a $400 book)...

tippy4
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Langoleer....between the negative dealings Shannon and Neostasus and I (and one other that has discussed their situation with me privately), you seem to be developing a reputation to be less than pleasant to deal with.

You keep wasting people's time. Maybe you have a surplus of it to spare, but we do not.

You and I had one transaction that you paid me on, and then another one you flaked out on. What I have not mentioned before was the countless number of emails back and forth for the transaction you paid me on. Question after question. Haggling and haggling. So on and so forth.

If several people came up to ME and told ME I was a time waster...I guess I would start to think...hey...maybe there is something to what they are saying. Maybe I should rethink my behavior.

Do us all a favor. Buy your books on ebay...or Craig's list...or at Goodwill. Stop bothering the folks here.

Click THIS LINK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?966-King-Books-Items-Wanted&p=698720&viewfull=1#post698720) to see the discussion on my dealings with him (Posts 2037-2051).

Brice
06-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Without commenting on any specific incident I'd advise extreme caution in dealing with anyone that has had that many complaints against them...especially considering most people are inclined to try to work things out privately before they make them public.

Garrell
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Langoleer....between the negative dealings Shannon and Neostasus and I (and one other that has discussed their situation with me privately), you seem to be developing a reputation to be less than pleasant to deal with.

You keep wasting people's time. Maybe you have a surplus of it to spare, but we do not.

You and I had one transaction that you paid me on, and then another one you flaked out on. What I have not mentioned before was the countless number of emails back and forth for the transaction you paid me on. Question after question. Haggling and haggling. So on and so forth.

If several people came up to ME and told ME I was a time waster...I guess I would start to think...hey...maybe there is something to what they are saying. Maybe I should rethink my behavior.

Do us all a favor. Buy your books on ebay...or Craig's list...or at Goodwill. Stop bothering the folks here.

Click THIS LINK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?966-King-Books-Items-Wanted&p=698720&viewfull=1#post698720) to see the discussion on my dealings with him (Posts 2037-2051).

Remembering this incident...I say shame on you shannon for dealing with him for so long...

AKC and I made a deal awhile back and the next day the slipcase I was buying was cheaper, I kept my word and bought:)

tippy4
06-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey...can't give Shannon a hard time for being optimistic. I was only one guy calling him out.

But...going forward...anyone else that has a bad transaction with the guy....you have been more than warned.

Garrell
06-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I wanna add that AKC was more than friendly about letting me back out and encouraged it...but we are friends and consumers here for a reason:)

Shannon
06-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Hello all. I'm generally a fan of "when you make a deal, you stop looking around for better deals". I suggest doing your research first before even throwing out an offer. In an ideal world ... you make a deal, and then you pay. There should be no room to look around for other deals while you get the money together for the first transaction. But, when people start being nice and lenient, allowing the buyers time to come up with funds, that's when problems start to arise. For me, I'm ok with canceling a transaction because the buyer can get it for cheaper somewhere else. Let's say an eBay auction pops up for really cheap. I'm ok with that. Go for it, good job. But I'm going to be a little less likely to accept delayed payment in the future with that buyer.

The situation with TheLangoleer was that whether he was looking for other deals, whether he had problems getting the money together, whether he was lazy and/or his bank didn't allow him anymore PayPal transfers, it didn't matter to me. He didn't tell me what was going on, and not only left me in the dark about when I would receive payment, but SET DATES for when I would get the funds and when he would ship out his trade item, and then when he passed those deadlines, he didn't contact me. I hate that. I don't want to chase people down and wonder what's going on.

And it bothers me that TheLangoleer might not be able to buy and sell and trade here on TDT.org website anymore, because I love this website and community. Coming here and interacting with all you guys is a big part of my daily routine. This is an EVERY DAY thing for me. And if I messed up or made some mistakes and it caused me to get banned or it caused everyone here to not trust me and/or not want to interact with me, it would drive me crazy. So, I didn't WANT to do that to someone else, but like I said earlier, I would hate for someone else to possibly get screwed over by dealing with this guy, especially when I could have said something and alerted people to a potential issue.

TheLangoleer, after everything was decided upon, you wanted me to send the books the next day. If I were of a trusting nature, I would have. And where would that have gotten me? That would have gotten me absolutely nothing, because in your words you aren't able to pay for the items due to you not having a job. So ... me sending you the books before you paid me and/or sent me the trade item would have been ME sending you the books FIRST.

Garrell
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
On your side:0 We had a minor issue once and you have learned(may have even been miscom) but you are 100% right!!
Shannon = right
Thelang...nlahblah = ugh (IMHO)

Brice
06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Shannon: You're not messing him up. The totality of his interactions with other members very well could though. It's not like he got here and everybody said hey, let's fuck up this guy's credibility and reputation. Whatever happens because of his dealings with people is pretty much his own damn fault. It's not like we go around recklessly punishing people because one person complains. You are not the first and you are not the last I've heard having issues with this guy. I do hope anyone who goes around screwing this site's regular members over realizes they will be on thin ice quick.

killbourne
06-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Shannon is a pretty cool guy to deal with. I cant imagine him(shannon) being hard to deal with.

AKC
06-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Remembering this incident...I say shame on you shannon for dealing with him for so long...

AKC and I made a deal awhile back and the next day the slipcase I was buying was cheaper, I kept my word and bought:)

I wanna add that AKC was more than friendly about letting me back out and encouraged it...but we are friends and consumers here for a reason:)

Speak for yourself G. You were a PAIN IN THE ASS......

Just kidding!!!!

G did agree to pay my slightly higher price after he found a lower one. That's just how we roll here at TDT.......relationship with members FIRST.

divemaster
06-03-2012, 04:37 AM
How can you expect to buy books if you don't have money? Or a job? Or an active bank account? That makes no sense.

Merlin1958
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Nicholas R."

Shannon

I love how you are quoting me with things I never said - I made sure to save every single email exchange we had - I can post them if you like? NOT ONCE DID I EVER ASK YOU TO SEND BOOKS BEFORE THE MONEY. what I asked was for you to send the books AFTER I paid and AT THE SAME TIME as I shipped my trade item.

Pretty amazing how many folks you've managed to piss-off in a little over a month!!!

:razz:

Ben Staad
06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
How can you expect to buy books if you don't have money?

Exactly! I would loathe to make a deal with someone if I couldn't afford it.

sgc1999
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Caveat emptor

Rahfa
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm putting this here just because I don't know where else for it to go.

I got an email from "thegunlinger41@yahoo" about whether I had a s/l Gunslinger.

He also posted this request in the "wanted" thread.

The name on the email is Gabriel Ayala, who I googled, and the only close connection was someone in Brazil (I think).

Don't know if he's legit, don't know if he's not...don't know if that name means anything else to anybody. So, not a warning, just a curious mention...

biomieg
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I think he's also active on the stephenkingcollector.com forum but I have no idea if he's legit.

Randall Flagg
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm putting this here just because I don't know where else for it to go.

I got an email from "thegunlinger41@yahoo" about whether I had a s/l Gunslinger.

He also posted this request in the "wanted" thread.

The name on the email is Gabriel Ayala, who I googled, and the only close connection was someone in Brazil (I think).

Don't know if he's legit, don't know if he's not...don't know if that name means anything else to anybody. So, not a warning, just a curious mention...
We talke about this a bit in the Collectible Classifieds (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds)

Post #3214

and
King Books/Items Wanted (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?966-King-Books-Items-Wanted)

Post # 2064

It looks like he may have the misfortune of being named Gabriel.
Until or if he actually buys something here, we will never know.
Probably a false alarm, and if he were to actually pay in advance for a GSI S/L then we would have a better idea.

killbourne
06-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Nicholas R."

Shannon

Pretty amazing how many folks you've managed to piss-off in a little over a month!!!

So, the recommendation is for him to pay up front? giving him an opp to improve his rep, or what?

Brice
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
My PERSONAL recommendation is don't deal with someone like this. Life is too short. :)

Tony
06-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Nicholas R."

Shannon

Hey guys. I know that he's quite a shady character who's not followed through, etc. etc. But I'm not sure it's cool to post his full name on the forum, especially since it was from an email or a private message. Using that I was easily able to find both his twitter accounts (where he keeps asking authors for free authographs and publishers for ARCs...sigh) as well as his LinkedIn account. And who knows what else, that was only the first page.

Future employers are probably going to end up right here after Google indexes these pages too. All I'm saying is that let's not fuck someone's life up because he's a bad buyer. Consider removing his full name.

killbourne
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Owww...^^^ that would be a good idea.

Brice
06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Right! I can actually agree with that. I'll go through and remove the last name from the above posts.

Shannon
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Eh, I can see both sides of the argument here about posting his full name. I understand the reason to not include a last name. But I also understand that someday Mr. Nicholas R. might contact one of our members through email and won't give us the courtesy of his screen name or past transaction history.

Patrick
06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi guys, sorry to hear about this quagmire of wasted time. Also, if TheL lost his job, that totally sucks, too. Despite all that, I agree with the decision to remove his last name from the public thread. Thanks.

Merlin1958
06-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Nicholas R."

Shannon

So, the recommendation is for him to pay up front? giving him an opp to improve his rep, or what?

I am strictly a buyer so far, can't remember ever selling anything here except exalting donations, but I consider paying up front the standard protocol. I have never asked any one to send an item prior to payment in full and would never even consider it "on the table". Some folks have felt comfortable enough with my history to ship anyway, but that's a pleasant surprise to me. It just makes sense to me.

Patrick
06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
One time I shipped off a promo item to a buyer when they hadn't even agreed to a price yet.

Merlin1958
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
One time I shipped off a promo item to a buyer when they hadn't even agreed to a price yet.

Cool Beans!! Did it all work out?

Edit: Have I ever bought anything from you, Patrick? As I recall we exchanged gifts!!! LOL

I still treasure my "Big Front Yard"!!!!

Patrick
06-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, it worked out fine. It was another long-time, lovable TDT member. I was only asking reimbursement for my cost, which was the retail price, but I decided I'd accept whatever the buyer decided to pay. I mean, there's no demand for those TMSG's anyway.

Merlin1958
06-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, it worked out fine. It was another long-time, lovable TDT member. I was only asking reimbursement for my cost, which was the retail price, but I decided I'd accept whatever the buyer decided to pay. I mean, there's no demand for those TMSG's anyway.

LOL LOL LOL TMSG!!!! You gave one away?? Wait til Jerome finds out!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Or "Shannon" for that matter!!!!! LOL

Patrick
06-03-2012, 11:52 PM
No, I didn't give it away, the buyer chose to pay full retail!

Also I included the movie DVD that came with TMSG because, you know, I didn't want to break up the set.

Tony
06-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Right! I can actually agree with that. I'll go through and remove the last name from the above posts.

Well done!

namelessnpoor
06-04-2012, 07:01 AM
"Langoleer....between the negative dealings Shannon and Neostasus and I (and one other that has discussed their situation with me privately), you seem to be developing a reputation to be less than pleasant to deal with." (quoted from Tippy's post)

Just thought I would mention the other person Tippy speaks of is me. I have been around here a while, and have had many dealings with a lot of you, 99% of them great deals. After he gave me the run around and such as with other people, and when i saw Tippy was delaing with him i decided to give him a heads up. i have had a number of transactions with Tippy and didn't want him to go into the deal blind. i didn't publicly post it because i was being cautious, didn't know the guy, he was new, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.......guess he showed his true colors....I wouldn't entetrtain any transaction withhim even if he was offering me double my price !

Randall Flagg
06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
We have a thread dealing with deadbeat Sellers, but perhaps it is time for a thread to warn members of potential deadbeat buyers. These would primarily be members here who agreed on an item(s), and a price, but then renege on their commitment.

You can either "out" the person specifically, or at least provide enough info for others to figure out who the deadbeat is, and be very wary of dealing with them.
I say out them.

Randall Flagg
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm interested in getting S/L's of Insomnia and Desperation if anyone has any for sale at a decent price
$250 + $10 Media mail shipping (I presume you are in the USA)? Sent as a Paypal gift?
That sounds good. Would you mind if I pay Friday?
That would be fine.My paypal is:**********
Hey Jerome I have an opportunity to buy a Grant S/L of TWTTKH now that I can't pass up. I'm going to have to pass on buying ********** for now. I can probably pay for it in about a month after my bank account has a chance to recover
You made a commitment to buy and pay by Friday 6/22/2012. Obviously the commitment is only as good as your word. Be advised that I will likely disclose your withdrawal to the board so that other members will be wary of dealing with you.

Jerome

Go ahead and publish it Jerome. I don't really care. Your an asshole

Merlin1958
06-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Temporarily removed....

What? Who? Where? LOL

Randall Flagg
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Temporarily removed....

Temporarily removed....

What? Who? Where? LOL
The person said they would pay by "charging it". If they don't pay by tomorrow at 4:00 PM PDT I will disclose the info.

Merlin1958
06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Temporarily removed....

Temporarily removed....

What? Who? Where? LOL
The person said they would pay by "charging it". If they don't pay by tomorrow at 4:00 PM PDT I will disclose the info.

Very fair minded, RF!!

Randall Flagg
06-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Post # 2 has been updated.

Ben Staad
06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a guess!

jhanic
06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
That's unconscionable. Who was it?

John

tippy4
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
So not only is the person a deadbeat, he can't spell either.

Your an asshole.

It should have read......

You're an asshole

As far as who it is...Jerome has left enough bread crumbs in his post to determine that...and no, it is not The Langoleer.

And wow! that is a hell of a good price for a S/L Desperation (I presume that was the book being discussed).

UGHHHH I had a similar situation happen to me this weekend.....only worse. Buyer sent me money for a SOD2 SL. I packed it up...spent at least 30 minutes of my time emailing and packing. A hour before I was going to the PO to ship it he asks for a refund. I understand shit happens, but it is frustrating. If it were me doing it, I would have at least offered $10 to compensate me for my time as a gesture.

Merlin1958
06-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Hey RF? Just when did your asshole first begin to speak?

:biggrin:

Fsmdr
06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
So not only is the person a deadbeat, he can't spell either.

Your an asshole.

It should have read......

You're an asshole

As far as who it is...Jerome has left enough bread crumbs in his post to determine that...and no, it is not The Langoleer.

And wow! that is a hell of a good price for a S/L Desperation (I presume that was the book being discussed).

UGHHHH I had a similar situation happen to me this weekend.....only worse. Buyer sent me money for a SOD2 SL. I packed it up...spent at least 30 minutes of my time emailing and packing. A hour before I was going to the PO to ship it he asks for a refund. I understand shit happens, but it is frustrating. If it were me doing it, I would have at least offered $10 to compensate me for my time as a gesture.

Wow!. That's just NOT cool, Tippy. I've had dead beat buyers before, some from this forum. but to agree on a transaction, pay, THEN backs out and get a refund..... Unless it was an unforseeable emergency from that person, I would certainly refuse to deal with that buyer in the future.

Rahfa
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I dunno....a couple emails back and forth isn't really a commitment....plus, he did say he might buy the books in a month.

In fact, he didn't really confirm the purchase 100 percent - what he said was "Sounds good. Would you mind if I pay by Friday?" Which means a firm arrangement had not been reached - it was a question, not a decision. Now obviously, it's leaning toward firm, but it's not there yet.

As far as I can tell, the next time he emailed was to say he'd changed his mind, so the deal was never totally finalized.

Anyway....I think people here need to relax a little bit. It's not Ebay...it's fans just trying to buy and sell a few books.

I wouldn't deal with somebody who did that to me, don't get me wrong, but is it that big a deal? But - cancelling and backing out AFTER payment has been made is aggravating - I agree with Tippy, I'd offer $10 or something for the annoyance.

Shannon
06-22-2012, 09:38 PM
"Sent as a Paypal gift?"

lol, stealin' my line?

George at C-Springs
06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Jerome I have an opportunity to buy a Grant S/L of TWTTKH now that I can't pass up. I'm going to have to pass on buying ********** for now. I can probably pay for it in about a month after my bank account has a chance to recover

I dunno....a couple emails back and forth isn't really a commitment....plus, he did say he might buy the books in a month.

In fact, he didn't really confirm the purchase 100 percent - what he said was "Sounds good. Would you mind if I pay by Friday?" Which means a firm arrangement had not been reached - it was a question, not a decision. Now obviously, it's leaning toward firm, but it's not there yet.

As far as I can tell, the next time he emailed was to say he'd changed his mind, so the deal was never totally finalized.

Anyway....I think people here need to relax a little bit. It's not Ebay...it's fans just trying to buy and sell a few books.

I wouldn't deal with somebody who did that to me, don't get me wrong, but is it that big a deal? But - cancelling and backing out AFTER payment has been made is aggravating - I agree with Tippy, I'd offer $10 or something for the annoyance.

As unpopular as this may be .... RF, I think you over-reacted a bit since your potential buyer hadn't made payment yet. If he had backed out and cancelled on an already-made payment then, yes, absolutely justified. But, judging solely by the e-mail exchange, I'd say he changed his mind because he found something he liked better. So what? What's wrong with that? It's his money, his choice ... I agree with Rahfa that I don't see where he had an iron-clad, contract-signed obligation to make the purchase. In fact, it sounds to me like he wanted to make sure that you wouldn't be offended by his choice, and ensuring that you understood he'd still like to do it next paycheck. A future sale is still a sale!

If you found a car you really liked at a good price from someone on Craigs List, agreed to buy it, and then found the car of your dreams before you actually made the purchase, would you buy the first car out of some sense of obligation? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd tell the guy sorry, I've changed my mind! Until money has actually changed hands or a contract signed, a buyer has every right to change his mind and not make a purchase! Now granted, if it's someone here on the boards, and they've expressly made a promise to buy (handshake deal), and you've gone out of your way to accommodate them (like in Tippy's situation) ... that does need to count for something. If that buyer did that multiple times, then his reputation would be duly noted. But a one-off change of mind, with notice given before purchase, and a (hopefully) sincere interest in making same purchase at a future date? I just don't see it as a major problem.

I had a similiar situation while I was still in Germany last year (may have been the year before) with David, where I expressed interest in purchasing several titles. That was around the time that he had family issues (I think ... I know he wasn't at the store for a time), and since the Betts website is still 90's vintage I couldn't make the purchases on the spot. That was actually lucky for me, because by the time David came back my money situation had drastically changed and I could no longer afford to buy what I'd expressed interest in buying. If he was mad at me, he certainly didn't say so ... and in fact I used the opportunity to suggest upgrading of the website. Had I been able to see photos and purchase on the spot, I would have ... it would have really sucked for me a week or so later, but he would have made the sales, and that's what business is all about.

Had I, or John, or Tippy, or Bill, or Bob done the same with you, expressed interest but then changed our mind because something better came along, would we have received the same scathing response, with a threat to be outed? If so, I don't know that I would have resorted to name-calling (if I had, I would have run spell-check, that's for sure ... no mercy here!) ... but rather I would hope that we could have just worked it out as colleagues.

Remember Bill's tirade a few weeks ago with Michael? No offense, but your's had the same flavor for me ... your reaction just struck as a little over the top, a little unjustified. If there's more background between you and your buyer than what you've shown (which may very well be the case .... I personally have no idea who it is), then okay, maybe it's a personal thing with past experiences and this was the final straw. But if not ..............

killbourne
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM

As unpopular as this may be .... RF, I think you over-reacted a bit since your potential buyer hadn't made payment yet. If he had backed out and cancelled on an already-made payment then, yes, absolutely justified. But, judging solely by the e-mail exchange, I'd say he changed his mind because he found something he liked better. So what? What's wrong with that? It's his money, his choice ... I agree with Rahfa that I don't see where he had an iron-clad, contract-signed obligation to make the purchase. In fact, it sounds to me like he wanted to make sure that you wouldn't be offended by his choice, and ensuring that you understood he'd still like to do it next paycheck. A future sale is still a sale!

If you found a car you really liked at a good price from someone on Craigs List, agreed to buy it, and then found the car of your dreams before you actually made the purchase, would you buy the first car out of some sense of obligation? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd tell the guy sorry, I've changed my mind! Until money has actually changed hands or a contract signed, a buyer has every right to change his mind and not make a purchase! Now granted, if it's someone here on the boards, and they've expressly made a promise to buy (handshake deal), and you've gone out of your way to accommodate them (like in Tippy's situation) ... that does need to count for something. If that buyer did that multiple times, then his reputation would be duly noted. But a one-off change of mind, with notice given before purchase, and a (hopefully) sincere interest in making same purchase at a future date? I just don't see it as a major problem.

I had a similiar situation while I was still in Germany last year (may have been the year before) with David, where I expressed interest in purchasing several titles. That was around the time that he had family issues (I think ... I know he wasn't at the store for a time), and since the Betts website is still 90's vintage I couldn't make the purchases on the spot. That was actually lucky for me, because by the time David came back my money situation had drastically changed and I could no longer afford to buy what I'd expressed interest in buying. If he was mad at me, he certainly didn't say so ... and in fact I used the opportunity to suggest upgrading of the website. Had I been able to see photos and purchase on the spot, I would have ... it would have really sucked for me a week or so later, but he would have made the sales, and that's what business is all about.

Had I, or John, or Tippy, or Bill, or Bob done the same with you, expressed interest but then changed our mind because something better came along, would we have received the same scathing response, with a threat to be outed? If so, I don't know that I would have resorted to name-calling (if I had, I would have run spell-check, that's for sure ... no mercy here!) ... but rather I would hope that we could have just worked it out as colleagues.

Remember Bill's tirade a few weeks ago with Michael? No offense, but your's had the same flavor for me ... your reaction just struck as a little over the top, a little unjustified. If there's more background between you and your buyer than what you've shown (which may very well be the case .... I personally have no idea who it is), then okay, maybe it's a personal thing with past experiences and this was the final straw. But if not ..............
Agreed.

olverts
06-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Agree too , i don´t think he did anything wrong !

e_taylor
06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Definitely an over reaction. As was said, if it was one of the well known, older posters there would be no animosity or threat of outing them.

Its stuff like this that turns people off of this site - its too much of an old boy's club. If you're an old timer you're part of the club, if you're new Jerome is going to be a bit of an ass to you at every opportunity.

Ironic side note, it was my copy of TWTTK that you told me I was "insulting" the members of this site by offering at $900 shipped that caused your issue. Seeing as it sold for $850 shipped, I hardly think my price was an insult.

jhanic
06-23-2012, 08:06 AM
I still don't think it was an over-reaction. A man's word is his bond. If you make a deal, you should stick to it. It's the honorable thing to do.

John

Ben Staad
06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Well I have to disagree...As a buyer, you make a commitment, and make the transfer period. I would hope that all buyers have already done their research and know what they should and can afford as well as knowing what they want to buy. Of course, emergencies do happen but this thread is for people that have had more then one emergency or have flat out ripped someone off right???

Ben Staad
06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
I still don't think it was an over-reaction. A man's word is his bond. If you make a deal, you should stick to it. It's the honorable thing to do.

John

Agreed!

divemaster
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM

John

I also agree with this. It's one thing for a buyer to request more photos or description, or say, "hmmm, I have to think about it for a while," etc. But once someone says "I'll PayPal you on Friday" or "I agree to that price and will buy the book" to me that is a commitment. An oral contract. Would it hold up in a court of law? No, of course not. But is that what our commitments are reduced to these days? Seeing how much you can wiggle out of a deal you agreed to of your own free will?

I know some folks want to keep a seller dangling on a hook while they scope out other deals, but if you are going to do that, be up front. Don't agree to buy the book until you are prepared to follow through.

I say this as a 99% buyer, not as some disgruntled seller. Just that fair is fair.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
In my world a "handshake" is your bond. You don't break a bond. Maybe some may think that is old fashioned, but that's how I am.

Rahfa
06-23-2012, 09:13 AM
He did not say "I will pay you on Friday."

He said, "Would you mind if I pay Friday?"

That's not a deal - yet. It's a question. This isn't a handshake, or arrangement, or bond.

If he had said, "Okay, you can expect my payment by Friday at noon." Then, that IS a committment.

This is why I rarely do deals here, though, except with a tiny handful of people - it's not worth this potential aggravation and bad feeling. Ebay keeps it all above board, and they can handle the 'file a complaint' paperwork.

EDIT: In the post below, Dan mentions how the book was off the market...that's legitimate, but this specific book wasn't taken off the market unless RF wanted it to be off the market. The buyer put it out there that he wanted the book, and RF emailed HIM, not the other way around.

If somebody had emailed RF a higher offer after that first connection, or said "I'll pay on Thursday," then the seller only owes a courtesy heads-up to the original requester. No "hold" was implied here...I don't know the timeline though...if we're talking a week, that's a long time...but if this were a day or two, that's not that significant.

Dan
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
I really didn't want to join this conversation, but I guess I am. It didn't sound like a hard fast deal, but the book was effectively taken off the market for any other buyer. If the book was sold after the buyer made this pseudo deal, he would have been mad that the book was sold. It can't go one way, either it's a deal for the seller and buyer or no deal at all. I don't blame RF for being mad.

Ben Staad
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM

That's not a deal - yet. It's a question. This isn't a handshake, or arrangement, or bond.

If he had said, "Okay, you can expect my payment by Friday at noon." Then, that IS a committment.

This is why I rarely do deals here, though, except with a tiny handful of people - it's not worth this potential aggravation and bad feeling. Ebay keeps it all above board, and they can handle the 'file a complaint' paperwork.

EDIT: In the post below, Dan mentions how the book was off the market...that's legitimate, but this specific book wasn't taken off the market unless RF wanted it to be off the market. The buyer put it out there that he wanted the book, and RF emailed HIM, not the other way around.

If somebody had emailed RF a higher offer after that first connection, or said "I'll pay on Thursday," then the seller only owes a courtesy heads-up to the original requester. No "hold" was implied here...I don't know the timeline though...if we're talking a week, that's a long time...but if this were a day or two, that's not that significant.

In this community someone saying they will pay on Friday means the book is now unavailable to other buyers...period.

carlosdetweiller
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
From the above comments is it implied that we should probably avoid BOTH the buyer AND the seller like the plague?

Lurker
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
His (if it's a him, I have no clue who it is) whole statement was: "That sounds good. Would you mind if I pay Friday?"
"That sounds good" is the acceptance of the offer: "$250 + $10 Media mail shipping". There is now a binding contract. "Would you mind if I pay Friday?" is a promise of performance.

I have to agree with if you tell somebody you're gonna buy - then buy it. Another good deal always comes along, but once your reputation is gone, it's gone.

Garrell
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM

In this community someone saying they will pay on Friday means the book is now unavailable to other buyers...period.

If I ask a seller if it is ok to pay on a certain day, that is my commitment to buy unless he says no to that date. It is the same when I am dealing with customers at work(where I am the seller) and they buyers at work understand this also.

killbourne
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
After hearing all the arguments. I would approach with caution instead of avoiding like the plague. I hope that new members will learn that when dealing with people here on this site, you dont go into negotiations lightly. Buying and selling here on this site is a wonderful thing for collectors. That was one hell of a great deal.

George at C-Springs
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I guess I think of everyone here as not ready to bite your head off if you make a mistake; perhaps that's true with everything except dealing with money. Maybe if all sellers simply asked the question, "Are you giving me a verbal commitment to buy this?" and required the buyer to say yes, that would clear up any misunderstandings or doubts. I don't know about here, but in Germany a verbal agreement is legally binding.

Merlin1958
06-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Can't argue with that statement.

Randall Flagg
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
From the above comments is it implied that we should probably avoid BOTH the buyer AND the seller like the plague?
Are you saying that I should be avoided as a seller? Why?

carlosdetweiller
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Are you saying that I should be avoided as a seller? Why?

From briefly reading through all the comments it seemed that about half thought the buyer was in the wrong and the other half thought the seller was in the wrong. I didn't offer an opinion either way. I was just asking the rhetorical question.

Randall Flagg
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Definitely an over reaction. As was said, if it was one of the well known, older posters there would be no animosity or threat of outing them.

Its stuff like this that turns people off of this site - its too much of an old boy's club. If you're an old timer you're part of the club, if you're new Jerome is going to be a bit of an ass to you at every opportunity.

Ironic side note, it was my copy of TWTTK that you told me I was "insulting" the members of this site by offering at $900 shipped that caused your issue. Seeing as it sold for $850 shipped, I hardly think my price was an insult.
It was a well known older poster that scammed some overseas buyers. As soon as the facts became aware we "outed" him-disel24 I believe was his name. we are still looking for him to this day.
e-Taylor, if you are turned off, then exercise your option and go away. I don't think you should, but if it is such a turn off for you, there's no need for you to be "frustrated"-just move on.

TwistedNadine
06-23-2012, 04:39 PM
My two cents for what its worth - if you're a buyer and you are on the fence SAY you're on the fence so the seller has an opportunity to sell the product to someone else. And dont be pissed off if the seller DOES sell it to someone else while you are fence sitting. But being on the fence and not stating it - leading the seller to believe he has a sale - imho would be a commitment and the seller should be pissed if the buyer then backed out. I am NOT passing judgement on this particular transaction between RF and his buyer. I personally dont feel there is enough info to pass judgement since we dont know how much time elapsed between emails or the buyers side of the story.

Tony
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Threads like these make me paranoid about selling anything here, and I think it's the same for other buyers AND sellers. I recently put a book up at a price, someone inquired and agreed to purchase it and Paypal'ed me the money. Some real life stuff got in the way that prevented me from shipping it right off the bat, so it was delayed by a couple of days.

I found myself getting really, really worried that I might log in here and suddenly see my name on some list. So I went ahead and sent a long email detailing why it hasn't gone out as yet, when I expected it would, and offering a refund if the small delay wasn't acceptable. Now, this is obviously all good business and common sense to do this, and I would have done it even if threads like this hadn't popped up, but I get the feeling that it's making people really antsy.

Obviously we want to be alerted about people who back out of deals repeatedly at the last minute, or drag on a negotiation, etc. But now I personally think that this thread has gone a little too far.

Patrick
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Tony, here's my perspective: Personally I don't freak out about a seller (especially one I feel that I know on some level) taking a couple extra days to ship. I understand that life happens.

mistercrowley
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Please make sure you pay by 4:00 PM PDT June 22, 2012. If not I will have no choice but to publish the info.

Jerome

That is the PM that made me change my mind about using my credit card to pay for Desperation (that was sent right after my message stating I would put it on my credit card and apologizing which you also didnt include)

George at C-Springs
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Tony, here's my perspective: Personally I don't freak out about a seller (especially one I feel that I know on some level) taking a couple extra days to ship. I understand that life happens.

Ditto here, especially if you're good with the e-mail or even a phone call. Shit happens, everybody knows that and (hopefully) understands. It's the long-term , repetitive abusers that folks are worried and need to know about. But yeah, folks can get antsy sometimes.

mistercrowley
06-23-2012, 09:05 PM
In that case ill just put it on my credit card instead of using my bank account. I didnt mean to cause any issue with you

Me

Fair enough. I already created a thread in CC, but I deleted my content which could have alerted members as to your identity.
The issue wasn't so much that you asked to bow out of the deal, it was that you not only bowed out, but said-I found something else-too bad so to speak.
The buying and selling on the site relies strongly on an honor system.

Jerome

Please make sure you pay by 4:00 PM PDT June 22, 2012. If not I will have no choice but to publish the info.

Jerome

That's how the exchange went prior to my misspelled message calling Jerome an asshole. You didn't have to threaten me Jerome.

Rahfa
06-24-2012, 05:21 AM
I totally agree that this all works on the "honor system"....if you come to a deal and back out for whatever reason it can cause some raw feelings.

I see what RF is saying that not only did you back out, but you said it's because you found something else - so that does seem pretty lame. On the other hand, it's a fan site, so it stands to reason that you might mention - to a fellow fan - that you're getting a book you're more excited about. I guess if you'd just said, "can't do it right now, my bad," it would have been fine...so the mistake was honesty.

But....it's a public forum, and if you dilly-dally around with people's time, you can expect to get called out for it...so buyer beware! Nobody would have stopped you if you complained about someone's shipping/packing problems, etc.

But yeah, if anyone told me, "pay by this time, or I'll reveal your name," then I certainly would NOT pay then, even if I had previously intended too.

Really, this should been handled by private communication and not doing business with each other anymore....I like internet snark more/as much as anybody, but this thread isn't going to do anything except create further disagreements as people dig their heels in on what they think is the "right" policy.

killbourne
06-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Who wouldnt back out of a deal if they felt like they were being threatened if they did not pay by a certain time. No one is going to respond in a positive manner when they feel as though they are being bullied. THe honor system works both ways. I would have backed out of the deal myself.

mistercrowley
06-24-2012, 05:45 AM
I apologized and offered to put it on my credit card to avoid any issues. I don't need to be threatened with a four pm deadline at that point. That really felt like it was a bit much and made me very upset.

carlosdetweiller
06-24-2012, 06:03 AM
I feel like I should pop some popcorn each time before I open this thread. Excellent entertainment value!

Randall Flagg
06-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Never a dull moment. Not quite as exciting as the dt.net days, but that was the highlight era for drama.

carlosdetweiller
06-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Never a dull moment. Not quite as exciting as the dt.net days, but that was the highlight era for drama.

I'm sure you are right. But I am thinking that a lot of the drama occurred behind the scenes (at dt.net) and most of us who were not moderators probably were unaware. Most of what I know (or think I know) is just hearsay.

Randall Flagg
06-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I was never a mod at dt.net, but things happened publicly and privately that were quite interesting.

Dan
06-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Threads like these make me paranoid about selling anything here, and I think it's the same for other buyers AND sellers. I recently put a book up at a price, someone inquired and agreed to purchase it and Paypal'ed me the money. Some real life stuff got in the way that prevented me from shipping it right off the bat, so it was delayed by a couple of days.

I found myself getting really, really worried that I might log in here and suddenly see my name on some list. So I went ahead and sent a long email detailing why it hasn't gone out as yet, when I expected it would, and offering a refund if the small delay wasn't acceptable. Now, this is obviously all good business and common sense to do this, and I would have done it even if threads like this hadn't popped up, but I get the feeling that it's making people really antsy.

Obviously we want to be alerted about people who back out of deals repeatedly at the last minute, or drag on a negotiation, etc. But now I personally think that this thread has gone a little too far.

No worries, Tony. I know life happens and am looking forward to getting the book. I was so busy at work that I forgot about the book until you emailed me on Friday.

Tony
06-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Dan. Didn't want to mention any specifics to make it seem like I didn't agree with the way you handled anything or anything like that. It's all good :)

It's just that threads like this where I think some people aren't being treated entirely fairly makes me feel like it's really important to go the extra mile so that reputation doesn't inadvertently get damaged.

Merlin1958
06-24-2012, 09:26 AM
In retrospect, I'm thinking this may not be the best of threads, but shit does happen. For my part, though I am pretty much exclusively a "buyer" I have no complaints whatsoever!!! In my experience buying from folks on this forum is gold!!!

Randall Flagg
06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
It should be noted that there are likely over a 1,000 transactions that have been done through this site over the last 5 years and probably less than 10 significant beefs, and to my knowledge only one "thief"-although there is currently someone who owes another member a small amount. That is a very high success rate.
If members feel this thread is counterproductive to adding value and pleasure to the site, then it can be archived in a non-viewable area of the site. I'll try to get a feel for the consensus, and do what is best.

tippy4
06-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Well I for one think it works just fine.

We all understand that there are no guarantees, and that caveat emptor is a rule of life.

Merlin1958
06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I think its fine. Part of the real security I feel in dealing in this community. We all somehow manage to get along for the most part. And the "staff" is genuinely committed to that enviroment. I have no issues here. FWIW

TwistedNadine
06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I like this thread for its entertainment value but also I think its very enlightening as to the various personalities and opinions of the members. Whats the point of a forum if you cant express yourself? My vote is to keep it.

Merlin1958
06-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I like this thread for its entertainment value but also I think its very enlightening as to the various personalities and opinions of the members. Whats the point of a forum if you cant express yourself? My vote is to keep it.

Ditto

Shannon
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I have another "Buyer" to avoid like the plague!

I don't want to call him out or anything, but his user name rhymes with "Price" and when I contacted him telling him he had to purchase my Rose Madder proof for $372.17, he told me no! I said, "Look doucheface, I have to make some money on it, so gimme your monies!" And he said it again, "No!"

Can you believe that, he just put it out there, like it wasn't a big deal! No! And THEN he insulted me by saying "I'm sorry Shannon, but I already have one of those and for what it's worth I think your price may be a little high. Good luck though!" That bastard! How DARE he!?

You're gonna rue the day you ever crossed me, BUDDY! RUE. THE. DAY!

So, just wanted to point it out on this board so everyone else knows to stay away from this guy. Oh, and he smells like moth balls mixed with carrot juice.

:)

Patrick
06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Goofball. :P

Rahfa
06-24-2012, 11:18 AM

We all understand that there are no guarantees, and that caveat emptor os a rule of life.

I agree, too...as long as both sides understand they'll get full helpings of snark, it will be good entertainment. I think it's silly and ridiculous, but I am a fan of internet gossip and flame wars, and I'm happy to pitch in!

Brice
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I have another "Buyer" to avoid like the plague!

I don't want to call him out or anything, but his user name rhymes with "Price" and when I contacted him telling him he had to purchase my Rose Madder proof for $372.17, he told me no! I said, "Look doucheface, I have to make some money on it, so gimme your monies!" And he said it again, "No!"

Can you believe that, he just put it out there, like it wasn't a big deal! No! And THEN he insulted me by saying "I'm sorry Shannon, but I already have one of those and for what it's worth I think your price may be a little high. Good luck though!" That bastard! How DARE he!?

You're gonna rue the day you ever crossed me, BUDDY! RUE. THE. DAY!

So, just wanted to point it out on this board so everyone else knows to stay away from this guy. Oh, and he smells like moth balls mixed with carrot juice.

:)

Here's what REALLY happened folks. Shannon told me he really needed money right now and that I could buy his entire SK collection including the stuff he's going to buy forever for $1. I figured he's a friend so I'd try to help him out. This happened on his first day on the site. I paid and he still didn't ship his whole collection. He just goes on posting stuff in his thread and reselling the stuff he has already sold to me. If you have ever bought anything from Shannon please return it to it's rightful owner (me) promptly. Shannon will reimburse you for your purchases and shipping +50% extra for the trouble. I have all of Shannon's emails confirming this is precisely what he agreed to.

stkmw02
06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I have to say... I joined this site near my birthday for the purpose of purchasing from reliable sellers. I knew that a forum like this was more likely to be a "safe bet" than eBay or elsewhere, because the members would keep each other in check. As a "new" member and buyer without any reputation on the board, I negotiated with a few sellers - bought from some, not from others. To my knowledge, everyone was content.

I think, if someone were not pleased with a negotiation, they could talk it out. And if the buyer was in the wrong when a deal was called off, they should be call out on it. ONLY if that buyer did not make a reasonable attempt to mend the situation.

So, Yes, keep this thread. But be sure it is used wisely... No one - buyer or seller - should "call out" someone without first communicating with that person to clarify all concerns.

Randall Flagg
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM

We all understand that there are no guarantees, and that caveat emptor is a rule of life.
Agreed. we have the "Sellers to avoid" (caveat emptor) thread, so perhaps the "vendit caveat" (seller beware) thread is useful.
My greatest hope is this thread falls to the last page-that would mean there have been no problems with "buying" members here.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Shannon has sold his entire collection 43 times at the last count!

Randall Flagg
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Shannon has sold his entire collection 43 times at the last count!
Hey, it's all about the "turns" (I used to work in the grocery business, where turns was defined as sales/inventory-example: my store did ~28 million per year in sales and our total @ retail inventory on hand was ~ $900,000, thus a "turn" of 31.1.)
I must say a 43 turn is impressive.

Brice
06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, Shannon has turned a few times. :)

( Time for your defence Shannon)

Shannon
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM
"I paid and he still didn't ship his whole collection."

You didn't use Paypal's Gift option, like we agreed. :tongue1:

As far as "turning" goes ... in all honesty this time, lol ... I look at it like this ... I collect Stephen King because I enjoy it. Sometimes life gets in the way and/or there are other things I need money for. So, I turn to my "hobby/investment" and take out a loan. Almost everything I own can be replaced later on down the road. Even original artwork, which I love and frame and show off and hold dear, it can be replaced by another piece by the same artist later on. Most of the time. :) The things that I know would take a miracle to re-own again later on down the road, I hold onto. My collection of Entertainment Weekly magazines, my Skeleton Crew Treasure Chest, my yearbooks (thanks MRT for the last college one I needed! Very excited for its arrival), TMSG, my Knowing Darkness S/L, etc. Mine. But also, buying and selling things has always been a passion of mine. It USED to be about the "find something for a dollar and sell it for two" aspect of it, but now, I love being able to get items to people that need them for their collection.

Roseannebarr
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I have had several successful purchases and trades with members of the forum! I thank each and every one of you! And look forward to more in the future!

Jimimck
06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty much gonna be a buyer around here, and so if I piss any of you off so much you don't want my green, PLEASE let me know first cos this place is the bomb compared to buying off eBay!!!

Merlin1958
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty much gonna be a buyer around here, and so if I piss any of you off so much you don't want my green, PLEASE let me know first cos this place is the bomb compared to buying off eBay!!!

Tru Dat!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Patrick
06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
This thread and its older sibling about sellers have very strongly worded titles. So far I have read nothing in this thread that makes me want to avoid anyone like the plague.

Sir_Boomme
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM

ahhhh... but THOSE were the good ol' days fur sure!

Merlin1958
06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Avoid me like the Plague!!! I gotta stop buying this shit!! LOL

Ari_Racing
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I never had an issue here with a buyer (I didn't sell many things, actually), but as a buyer I understand sometimes issues DO happen and one has to call off a deal. I experienced this once and I couldn't thank the user enough for being so kind and patient. Years ago, I told our very own Juliana (Fsmdr) that I'd buy a Ray Bradbury signed book from her, but when the moment of the deal arrived (the book was about to be signed at an event) I didn't get that month paid at the office I was working on at that moment and had to call it off. She was really kind and told me not to worry. I still remember how embarrasing was to tell her I could not buy the book. And her reply was "Don't worry!" (Thanks again, J!)

So sometimes I think one has to think that the other person might have a real issue, and a little patience won't hurt anybody.

bdwyer19
06-26-2012, 06:31 AM

I agree completely!

Randall Flagg
06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
We have the Ebay thread-Questionable items, signatures, sellers.
Just wondering if we should either modify the title on the ebay thread for any/all complaints about sellers, or rename this thread to read "Problems with transactions between members-buyers and sellers", something along those lines. Thoughts?

biomieg
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd say merge and rename.

Randall Flagg
06-28-2012, 11:31 AM
I kinda don't wish to merge "buyers" and "sellers" trouble that is internal, with the ebay thread, but nothing is etched in stone, just trying to get a feel.

TwistedNadine
06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
I kinda don't wish to merge "buyers" and "sellers" trouble that is internal, with the ebay thread, but nothing is etched in stone, just trying to get a feel.

Agree. Seems that the Buyers and Sellers should be merged and is more directed at repeat offenders or offenders whom, after numerous attempts, refuse to rectify while the Ebay one is more for Ebay specific items and/or repeat Ebay offenders. At least thats my take on it.

Randall Flagg
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
I sold and shipped a S/L Dark Dreamers. Check this story out:

Dear zoidsmith,

After speaking to my husband he informed me that without a letter of authentication the book isn't worth this much ... also unfortunately we had just moved when I placed this order & our little dog got lose & ran out onto the highway & was hit by a car ... this has set us back financially ... I'm very sorry & hope this doesn't cause you too much trouble ... I see you haven't mailed it yet so posting should be easy & I wish you the best of luck in selling it ... there are a lot of names in it.
Janice Kuhns

- rackgirl642012

My response:
I did mail the book. In fact I mailed it Thursday 8/9/2012. As far as a "Letter of Authentication", I suggest you go here to see info on the book:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Dark+Dreamers+-+S+L

and here is the preeminent Stephen King Collecting forum in the world. Pop in there and ask about the item:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?9-Calvin-s-Corner

If you have additional questions, go to Stephen King's official website and ask about the authenticity of the item.
www.StephenKing.com (http://www.StephenKing.com)

Jerome Smith
Owner- TheDarkTower.org (http://www.thedarktower.org)

Unfortunately I have a 14 day return policy, so presuming she returns it in same condition, I suppose I am obligated to refund the money.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Looks like the husband put the foot down!

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
They could always take the dog to the pet sematary. That's free.

tippy4
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Which is why I do not accept returns.

Show her THIS LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item58953ce4e2&item=380460917986&nma=true&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&rt=nc&si=btjEXOsGFR2qctdgUTFdiuso46o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) so she can see one that just sold for $35 more than yours.

Tell her you would be happy to provide her a letter of authentication from Jerome Smith.

TwistedNadine
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Has nothing to do with this discussion - Tippy is there a story behind your turtle avatar?

tippy4
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I have tortoises.....that one pictured (a California desert tortoise) is not mine (those are my hands holding it).

I do have three African tortoises though.

In fact my name "tippy" is a reference to the Tippy Turtle cartoon they used to have on Saturday Night Live.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfcbXUpIns)

Brice
08-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Show her THIS LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item58953ce4e2&item=380460917986&nma=true&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&rt=nc&si=btjEXOsGFR2qctdgUTFdiuso46o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc) so she can see one that just sold for $35 more than yours.

Tell her you would be happy to provide her a letter of authentication from Jerome Smith.

I can't even believe this. A letter of authentication? I mean really. Really really? LOL

I could perhaps sympathize with unforseen circumstances, but that is just absurd.

Randall Flagg
08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I will be certain in the future to do the same.
As long as it is returned (at her expense) in same condition, I will of course refund the money. I would have preffered a better story than "we just moved....my dog died", the part that grates upon me is the "authentication" comment from her husband.
Save the story and politely say "I am sorry, I made a mistake and will be promptly returning (at my own expense) the book. I wish you the best in re-listing the book, and appreciate your understanding."

killbourne
08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
As long as it is returned (at her expense) in same condition, I will of course refund the money. I would have preffered a better story than "we just moved....my dog died", the part that grates upon me is the "authentication" comment from her husband.
Save the story and politely say "I am sorry, I made a mistake and will be promptly returning (at my own expense) the book. I wish you the best in re-listing the book, and appreciate your understanding."
Well, even if you dont accept returns...how you going to stop someone from posting a negative feedback against you if they want to return the book? Recently, Ive had someone complain two months after they received the item...of course I never heard from them again after I countered their foolish complaint.

neosatus
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, even if you dont accept returns...how you going to stop someone from posting a negative feedback against you if they want to return the book? Recently, Ive had someone complain two months after they received the item...of course I never heard from them again after I countered their foolish complaint.

I agree. Even if you don't accept returns, there will still be people who will want to return the book if they've decided they don't really want it. And sometimes you'll get a crazy asshole like I got once.
I sold him a S/L and this was before I had the 14 day return policy, btw. No Returns was my policy, so what did he do? He ripped some of the pages of the book and filed a claim against me for the book being Not As Described. So not only did I lose the sale, I got back a damaged book I could no longer sell.

And now with ebay requiring a 14 day return policy in order to keep my Top-Rated Seller status I went ahead and switched to the 14-day return policy. Even if people do abide by the policy, they can still get mad and trash you on the feeback... and good feedback is important.

So yes, I know that it sucks losing the sale, but really.. the item will sell again and sure you're out a little shipping money and time but is it worth something bad happening to make a big deal of it? I find that it's not.
As a seller, weird things will happen, you'll run into assholes, but it's all part of doing business and just acknowledging that and accepting it is better than getting butthurt and vengeful about it.

killbourne
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM

I agree. Even if you don't accept returns, there will still be people who will want to return the book if they've decided they don't really want it. And sometimes you'll get a crazy asshole like I got once.
I sold him a S/L and this was before I had the 14 day return policy, btw. No Returns was my policy, so what did he do? He ripped some of the pages of the book and filed a claim against me for the book being Not As Described. So not only did I lose the sale, I got back a damaged book I could no longer sell.

And now with ebay requiring a 14 day return policy in order to keep my Top-Rated Seller status I went ahead and switched to the 14-day return policy. Even if people do abide by the policy, they can still get mad and trash you on the feeback... and good feedback is important.

So yes, I know that it sucks losing the sale, but really.. the item will sell again and sure you're out a little shipping money and time but is it worth something bad happening to make a big deal of it? I find that it's not.
As a seller, weird things will happen, you'll run into assholes, but it's all part of doing business and just acknowledging that and accepting it is better than getting butthurt and vengeful about it.

No FUcking way! Damn, I thought I ran into some asshats.

TwistedNadine
08-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Recently, Ive had someone complain two months after they received the item...of course I never heard from them again after I countered their foolish complaint.

That wasnt a member here was it? I also just recently experienced something like this

TwistedNadine
08-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I have tortoises.....that one pictured (a California desert tortoise) is not mine (those are my hands holding it).
I do have three African tortoises though.
In fact my name "tippy" is a reference to the Tippy Turtle cartoon they used to have on Saturday Night Live.
LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfcbXUpIns)

The comments on that link are hilarious.
I had forgotten about Tippi the turtle.

Patrick
08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Jerome, what a pain. Like Mr. R.T. said, it sounds like the eBay bidder's excitement exceeded the family wallet, so the spouse lowered the hammer. Too bad, too, because she got a completely reasonable deal on the book.

Tony
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM
So I have a signed copy of Under the Dome for sale in the Classifieds thread, and I dropped the price to $180 after about a week or so. I then get a message from a member here:

Him: Are you willing to go 150?

So I reply:

Me: No, I've already dropped the price.

I mean, really. I just dropped the price and you've asking to take an additional $30 off the price?? Then I get:

Him: Where are you shipping from?

Even though I clearly state this in my post. So I reply:

Me: Toronto, Canada

I already feel like this is going to be a complete waste of time, considering the reputation this member has already earned here. I get this in reply:

Him: How much to ship to the us?

To which I reply:

Me: Based on previous shipping experience, about $40 as the books are big and heavy.

And I get:

Him: Would you do 200 total or no.

So I'm upset by now because this fool is just wasting my time and after all the numbers being thrown around I make a mistake and I send this in reply:

Me: The book is $200, and the shipping cost is $40, that's a total of $240.

And he responds:

Him: First it says the book is 180. Shipping is 40 so I asked for 200 total. If not that's fine but don't try to play me.

So the nerve of the guy! I make a mistake and add an extra $20 and he becomes incensed! But when he tries to beat me down by $30 I'm supposed to take it in stride and hope he uses some lube while I get _ in the _.

So I reply and say:

Me: I made a mistake here. The book is $180 and the shipping is $40. This is a total of $220. You keep asking me about all kinds of numbers when it's pretty clear what the price is, and what the shipping is, so I got a little mixed up.

The cost of the book plus shipping to the US is $220. Plain and simple. If you want it please send payment via Paypal to [redacted] as a gift. Thanks.

I don't want to name names, but it should be pretty obvious who this guy is. My advice, if you have something for sale and he asks about it, simply reply with your Paypal email address and the total and don't waste any of your time. If he wants it he'll pay you, if he tries to bargin with you just ignore his messages.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-11-2012, 03:32 AM
I know exactly who you are talking about. He talked me down to $450 for a decent condition First Edition Gunslinger in almost perfect jacket. Told me to hold on a couple days, and.......and......and.....and......well, needless to say, I won't even give him the shirt off my back and believe me, I would give any member here my shirt even if it meant I would freeze.

Mulleins

divemaster
09-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Ha ha. I also know exactly who you are talking about!

I really don't get it. If you want to buy the book, just buy the book! What, $30 is going to make or break you? People like that just irk me.

Brice
09-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Heh, when someone persistently tries to talk you down you RAISE the price. LOL If they ask you to take $150 for a $180 item say no, but now it's $210. It is one thing to negotiate it's another enirely to try to screw someone or haggle like your at a flea market or a yard sale.

agrabin
09-11-2012, 06:02 AM
I know exactly who you are talking about. He talked me down to $450 for a decent condition First Edition Gunslinger in almost perfect jacket. Told me to hold on a couple days, and.......and......and.....and......well, needless to say, I won't even give him the shirt off my back and believe me, I would give any member here my shirt even if it meant I would freeze.

Mulleins

Hi there...

...I prefer short sleeved but long will do...something sporty but not garish...don't mind stripes or checks but nothing too outlandish...size 15 collar (UK) or just medium I guess. I've blue eyes so maybe one to complement them. If possible, would you make sure it's properly laundered but don't worry about ironing...I can do that myself.

If you get too cold, just move to California!!

Thanks
Shirt-off-your-back-hunter

Room 217 Caretaker
09-11-2012, 06:35 AM

Mulleins

Hi there...

...I prefer short sleeved but long will do...something sporty but not garish...don't mind stripes or checks but nothing too outlandish...size 15 collar (UK) or just medium I guess. I've blue eyes so maybe one to compliment them. If possible, would you make sure it's properly laundered but don't worry about ironing...I can do that myself.

If you get too cold, just move to California!!

Thanks
Shirt-off-your-back-hunter

PM me your address.......I have the perfect shirt for you.....haha

It sounds like we are identical, except I have brown eyes. They used to be blue but after 25 years of working in the corporate world like a mushroom (kept in the dark and shoveled crap all day) they both turned brown.

Mulleins

WeDealInLead
09-11-2012, 06:55 AM
So I have a signed copy of Under the Dome for sale in the Classifieds thread, and I dropped the price to $180 after about a week or so. I then get a message from a member here:

Him: Are you willing to go 150?

So I reply:

Me: No, I've already dropped the price.

I mean, really. I just dropped the price and you've asking to take an additional $30 off the price?? Then I get:

Him: Where are you shipping from?

Even though I clearly state this in my post. So I reply:

Me: Toronto, Canada

I already feel like this is going to be a complete waste of time, considering the reputation this member has already earned here. I get this in reply:

Him: How much to ship to the us?

To which I reply:

Me: Based on previous shipping experience, about $40 as the books are big and heavy.

And I get:

Him: Would you do 200 total or no.

So I'm upset by now because this fool is just wasting my time and after all the numbers being thrown around I make a mistake and I send this in reply:

Me: The book is $200, and the shipping cost is $40, that's a total of $240.

And he responds:

Him: First it says the book is 180. Shipping is 40 so I asked for 200 total. If not that's fine but don't try to play me.

So the nerve of the guy! I make a mistake and add an extra $20 and he becomes incensed! But when he tries to beat me down by $30 I'm supposed to take it in stride and hope he uses some lube while I get _ in the _.

So I reply and say:

Me: I made a mistake here. The book is $180 and the shipping is $40. This is a total of $220. You keep asking me about all kinds of numbers when it's pretty clear what the price is, and what the shipping is, so I got a little mixed up.

The cost of the book plus shipping to the US is $220. Plain and simple. If you want it please send payment via Paypal to [redacted] as a gift. Thanks.

I don't want to name names, but it should be pretty obvious who this guy is. My advice, if you have something for sale and he asks about it, simply reply with your Paypal email address and the total and don't waste any of your time. If he wants it he'll pay you, if he tries to bargin with you just ignore his messages.

I'm going to voice my opinion on this and it won't be a popular one. So be it. You overreacted. That's the short of it. He made you an offer. You could've said no and "walked away." You gave him a HIGHER PRICE. Mistake on your part and it's you who should take the heat for it, not him for thinking you want to "play him." I'd think something was fishy too. How's he supposed to know you made a mistake. I'd think someone was "playing me" too. You rectified that in your last message.

His negotiating skills leave a lot be desired for but, he offered twenty bucks less than what you were asking and you kept talking. The whole thing about shipping.. I don't know, maybe he was making sure $40 is right? As a Canadian, I feel your pain when it comes to selling to Americans, no media mail and cheapest option for a book (w/ box) over 2 lbs is over $23. Still, I've bought 2 books from a member here whose location is listed as Turkey and books arrived from the States.

I understand your annoyance (I'd be too) but in this specific case, I don't think he should've been "outed" over $20. I mean, what is the compaint here? He backed out? Not really, there never was a deal. He asked you to put it on "hold?" Nope. Wasted your time? Maybe.. but you had a potential sale and you blew it by going public. That person seems to have dropped serious coin (in my eyes) on books recently. Maybe you could've gotten $180 and now you'll never know.

Disclaimer: this post not endorsed by the user in question. No previous contact whatsoever. Just calling it like I see it.

WeDealInLead
09-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Ralph,
I'll buy the 'Slinger on the 21st if you still have it. Also, shirts in L. I prefer plain black or white tees but if you happen to have Fred Perry or Ben Sherman polos or button-ups, well, I'll take those too.

TwistedNadine
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
I personally dont know who you're referring to so not having dealt with the buyer before I am leaning towards Wedealinlead's opinion on this. This buyer obviously is not very good at negotiations - has irritated more than a few members it seems - but I would not fault him for the attempt.

Garrell
09-11-2012, 07:17 AM
None of that matters...
Ralph, I need a pink polo shirt for breast cancer month:)

TwistedNadine
09-11-2012, 07:18 AM
lol

None of that matters...
Ralph, I need a pink polo shirt for breast cancer month:)