PDA

View Full Version : Sports

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Arthur Heath
11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I completely understand what your saying here. We already have more than one player that can score 15-20 points per game on the roster. Even Rudy, our silver medal Olympian rookie, is scoring 15-20 in so many mins. Oden was overly hyped. No doubt about it. The fact of the matter is if he can be a 10 pts, 10 rbs per game (much like Ben Wallace) and a championship comes home (when the championship comes home) then all is well.
Oh, and now that I just found out that you are a Knicks fan I must admit that Reggie Miller is my all time favorite NBA player. What an absolutely fabulous rivalry that was over the years, eh?

jayson
11-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Oh, and now that I just found out that you are a Knicks fan I must admit that Reggie Miller is my all time favorite NBA player. What an absolutely fabulous rivalry that was over the years, eh?

Reggie I hated, but because he was so damn good. It was that respectful sports fan "I hate you" kind of thing. I went to many Knicks/Pacers games and saw first hand how good Reggie really was.

Jon
11-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Gotta watch those Hoosiers!!!

Arthur Heath
11-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Gotta watch those Hoosiers!!!

Reg was from UCLA. Indiana was pissed when they drafted him, they wanted their man (forget his name now) from the Hoosiers.
As much as a geeky fanboy it makes me sound one of my favorite moments (outside of meeting my wife and having a son) is when Reg was walking back to the locker room at halftime and I reached out and he slapped me five.

alinda
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Heres a pic of the football team Jorge plays on...http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r66/alinda47/team.jpg

Ruthful
11-17-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2008/11/17/663115/mavericks-124-knicks-114

Brandon Jacobs and his baby son were courtside, as they often are. In reference to today's win over the Ravens, Al Trautwig asked Jacobs, "what's it like to be tackled by Ray Lewis?", to which Brandon confidently replied, "I don't know. I don't think he tackled me". So Al changed up his game and asked, "then what does it feel like to run by Ray Lewis?", to which we got the instantly classic response, "Oh, that feel good."

Arthur Heath
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
My Blazers are kicking ass. Boom Boom shake the room, championship in 3 years.
Its gonna happen. Guarenteed.

Still Servant
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Instead of playing actual games, the Knicks should just play a Lebron James highlight reel on a loop.

Arthur Heath
11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Knicks just unloaded on a lot of salary cap. Rumor is there going for Labron in a few years.
No matter. Blazers, championship, 3 years.
Period.

jayson
11-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Oh it's no rumor, it's pretty much a known fact. The main reason they brought in D'Antoni as a coach is because LeBron likes him. The Knicks are trying to get as far under the salary cap as possible for the 2010 free agency extravaganza to get themselves LeBron and, quite possibly, another superstar for him to play with (someone like Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire would be ideal). It's nice to know that someday real soon it'll no longer be embarrassing to admit I'm a Knicks fan.

Arthur Heath
11-22-2008, 02:45 PM
It's nice to know that someday real soon it'll no longer be embarrassing to admit I'm a Knicks fan.

You get that with a lot of your teams, dont you friend :) Portland knows embarrisment.

jayson
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
You get that with a lot of your teams, dont you friend :) Portland knows embarrisment.

Yes, it seems to be a recurring them with my teams. It's why when I moved here to Tampa (in 1992) it didn't take me long to adopt the Bucs as my NFC team. Something about their history seemed familiar to me.

Ruthful
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Instead of playing actual games, the Knicks should just play a Lebron James highlight reel on a loop.

+1.

Arthur Heath
11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
My boys are 12-6. This time last year we where 5-11.
Go Blazers!

Ruthful
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM
The Giants need to trade Plaxico, even if it's to that hayseed Jerry Jones. In fact, especially if it's to him, because he's probably stupid enough to take that contract and give up a couple of draft picks.

jayson
11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I'd be curious as to how long Plaxico will be suspended. Discharging an illegal weapon in public, even "accidentally", is a violation of several NFL conduct policies, all of which are much more serious than anything Michael Vick or Adam Jones did. Plaxico is looking at a major suspension. Personally, I think his career should be over. He could have killed someone. He's an irresponsible fucking moron and only his fame will keep him out of prison. I doubt even Jerry Jones would hire him.

Ruthful
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Plax is a dumb-ass.

He didn't have a permit in New York State, he had an (expired) permit in Florida. Not that it would have mattered, since even if he had a carry permit it wouldn't be valid in The City, because the police commissioner is the only person allowed to approve permits given to people who aren't police officers-or retired police officers-here.

Did any of you read Buress's book, which I think was released a few months after his team's Super Bowl victory? There was an entire chapter devoted to his athletic endeavors in high school in Va. where he explored a basketball game that he was playing against a predominantly white high school, which I suppose was an intrastate rival. In any case, he implies that there was a hostility towards them because they were representing a uniformly black team. I'm sure there's some element of truth to that, but the undertone came off as bitter, and not really self-aware.

You can't surround yourself with quasi-criminal elements-even if you've known them since high school-when you're a multimillionaire. Jason Whitlock wrote a good column about this in relation to the Vince Young benching a few months ago.

To me, if you're too inept to use the safety on your handgun without shooting a hole through your thigh, then you're probably not competent enough to handle firearms, and should probably just spend some of your signing bonus on hiring a platoon of bodyguards.

I don't know if what he did is as grave in terms of NFL rules violations as Vick's transgressions-since he was essentially racketeering-or even Pacman's, but he's definitely going to be in a heck of a lot more trouble than either if the DA, or the DOJ, decide to pursue charges.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 06:52 PM
D'antoni's small line-up is holding the 'Blazers to a less than 10 pt. lead with less than three minutes to go!

:nana::rock::thumbsup:

Ruthful
12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/03/the-video-clip-that-got-sean-avery-in-trouble/

jayson
12-04-2008, 10:33 AM
And for once, I completely agree with the league on a suspension. Nobody is more deserving than Avery, and for a LOT more than his disgusting commentary.

The unwritten rule between players in the NHL is that the trash talking is done on the ice, not to the press. There is plenty of it. I've had the pleasure of sitting right behind the penalty boxes and the benches many many times and never have I heard such harsh insults tossed back and forth so casually, but it's all done on the ice where it can be settled right then and there if need be.

Of course Avery has never been one to play by the rules, written or unwritten. His ludicrous behavior towards Martin Brodeur was the single most unsportsmanlike display I have seen in 30+ years of watching sports. Those who defend him saying "well it wasn't against the rules at the time" are oversimplifying just a bit. It wasn't in the rule book because nobody ever bothered to assume you actually had to tell someone not to act like that. I can tell you this, if he pulled that crap against the Devils while Scott Stevens was still playing, we'd have heard the last of Avery that night.

I've read dozens of stories about Avery's teammates on more than one of his former clubs going after him in the locker room. His own teammates! I still suspect the reason the league acted so swiftly on this suspension is so that none of his Dallas teammates (who all reportedly hate the guy) would have to come to his aid when the Calgary Flames went after him, and they surely would have as Dionne Phaneuf is not the only Flame who wants a piece of Avery. Avery has had issues with Jarome Iginla as well. Had Iginla and Phaneuf come calling in the game Tuesday night, the other Stars' players would have been forced to defend their teammate even though they don't want him on the team.

I have been one of the NHL's biggest fans since I was six years old, and I was raised by a father who is an even bigger NHL fan and exceptionally knowledgeable on the history of the game. There have always been so-called "pests" or "agitators" in the league. I remember guys like Esa Tikanen and Theoren Fleury who absolutely excelled at it yet never once did I hear a that a teammate of these guys hated what they were doing. Another former pest extraordinaire was Matthew Barnaby. He is now a commentator for ESPN. Barnaby tore Avery apart. If guys who played the same role as Avery say he is over the top, that says it all to me.

The real shame is that some other GM will sign him when Dallas says goodbye, which is not far off. I definitely think he's played his last game in a Stars' uniform.

Ruthful
12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I still don't understand their rationale.

How is publicity, even negative publicity, a bad thing for a league that's teetering on insolvency, and doesn't have a TV contract?

It's not as if feminists are suddenly going to go out and purchase NHL merchandise because of this decision, and NHL fans already know that Avery is an asshole-this just reconfirms what they already believed-so what's the perceived benefit from suspending him, other than doing away with a headache for The Dallas Stars?

Wasn't there a black player who was almost decapitated on the ice by some psycho a few years ago?

Not to diminish the stupidity of his remarks, but aren't there bigger nuisances in the NHL?

jayson
12-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I think the rationale is that this incident with Avery was simply the final straw. I think it had much less to do with bad publicity for the league from the comments than what would have resulted from what was extremely likely to happen on the ice Tuesday night in Calgary if Avery suited up for the Stars. Had the league not suspended Avery, the Stars themselves would have.

I think the benefit for the league is that the game in Calgary was a hockey game and not a festival of violence aimed at "getting even" with Avery. I am not by any stretch of the imagination one of those who wants to take fighting out of hockey. There is a traditional place for it in the game, but it should be the organic result of things that actually happen on the ice, not because some moron ran his mouth off about his ex-girlfriend who happens to be dating a player on the other team.

For a league that is failing like the NHL is, I see negative press as a negative thing. I don't see something like this increasing the likelihood of a tv contract. It's not like broadcasters are saying "Oh the NHL, that's the league with that scumbag Sean Avery. Let's put him on tv." I don't agree with the vast majority of moves Gary Bettman makes as Commissioner of this league, but suspending Avery makes sense to me.

As for the other incident you mentioned, I think that was handled appropriately as well, although Donald Brashear was obviously not assaulted by Marty McSorley because he is black. The two were both well-established fighters in the league. McSorley swung his stick at Brashear to start a fight and wound up clocking him in the head and knocking him to the ice where he slammed his head and wound up with a concussion. McSorely not only received the harshest suspension in NHL history at one year (which ended his career) but he also served 18-months probation on criminal assault charges. I have no problem with that. I have little tolerance for guys who use their stick as weapons. You want to fight, be a man and drop the gloves or just skate away. He could easily have started a fight with Brashear without using his stick to do it.

Now, that incident generated lots of negative press for the NHL and it did not help them secure a better tv deal, in fact things only got worse after that so it seems negative press is not so good for the NHL.

Ruthful
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh no, I'm not saying that it was motivated by racial animus. It's just that the only details I remembered from that incident were the race of one of the players, and the fact that the guy who bashed him with the hockey stick was known as a dirty player. Or at least, that was the perception. Someone also mentioned McSorley-I didn't recall his name until you brought it up-in relation to the Avery suspension.

Ruthful
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
But wasn't fighting more prevalent in previous eras, when hockey was more popular? I was watching the conference finals between The Flyers and The Rangers on one of these classic sports shows that air from time to time, and I saw three or four players being brought out on stretchers before the third period even began.

jayson
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
No, I didn't think you came off that way either.

What's sad is that is how McSorely will be remembered. He wasn't really dirty until the end of his career. He was one of the pre-eminent tough guys of his era and was a part of some very successful teams. His primary role with the Oilers and the Kings was to be the insurance policy to prevent other teams from taking too many liberties roughing up Gretzky. Up until the last few years his fighting was always clean and within the traditional framework of fighting in the sport. The last few years he basically lost it, culminating with the stick-swinging incident with Brashear. Had he only retired a few years earlier (which he should have) he'd have been remembered more fondly, not as "that guy who hit the other guy in the head with his stick." But, he made his own bed.

jayson
12-04-2008, 01:48 PM
But wasn't fighting more prevalent in previous eras, when hockey was more popular? I was watching the conference finals between The Flyers and The Rangers on one of these classic sports shows that air from time to time, and I saw three or four players being brought out on stretchers before the third period even began.

It was a little more prevalent in earlier eras because more guys were capable of protecting themselves. The game has become a bit more specialized now. The fights are still there, it's just mostly relegated to one or two guys on each team. It's why I respected guys like Gordie Howe or Clark Gilles. The could score at will and few people were willing to tangle with them because they could fight. In his first season, Gilles laid out more than his share of Flyers who thought they could intimidate the rookie. After that, there were a lot less guys willing to go into the corner with Gilles. It was one thing I respected about Eric Lindros. He was willing and able to fight his own fights.

What bothers me now is that it seems that more players who can't fight resort to swinging their sticks at or cross-checking one another instead of dropping the gloves. Regular hockey fist fights are unlikely to result in any serious injuries, not to mention that they are between two consenting participants. When they start using their sticks, someone is going to get maimed. Unfortunately, the league doesn't seem to realize that their efforts to eliminate fighting are actually creating more of these incidents. Stick swinging was pretty damn rare in the old NHL.

jayson
12-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Ok, it's official, let's take the C out of the BCS and it will have a more apt name.

I cannot believe the idiocy in the Bowl matchups announced yesterday, particularly these...

Sugar Bowl
No. 6 Utah vs. No. 4 Alabama
January 2, 2009

Fiesta Bowl
No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Ohio St.
January 5, 2009

Is it just me, or is it obvious that Texas/Alabama would be a MUCH better game than either of these games? Not to mention that Alabama and Texas both had spectacular seasons and deserve to play better games as a reward for it than this. No offense to Utah, undefeated seasons are impressive, but c'mon, they didn't exactly play the kind of competition Texas did. And other than Penn St., Ohio St didn't play anyone at all. The Big 10 is a joke. If anyone deserves to play Alabama, it's Texas.

Let Utah play Ohio St. in a battle of teams that didn't play against all that much real competition this season and let's have Texas v Alabama. Given the Florida/Oklahoma matchup for the championship, it'd be intriguing to me to see another major game of SEC vs Big 12 as they are clearly the dominant conferences in college football.

Note, I am not counting out Utah or the exceptionally over-rated Ohio State in these games, anything is possible, but I'd entertain any arguments as to how Texas v Alabama is not a more interesting game. The BCS remains a complete joke.

jayson
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
The Mets issues with not having a reliable closer are now over, at least for the next three years. There's no closer in the sport better than Rodriguez. He's worth every penny. Now they just need some middle relievers and a real set-up man. I still think the starting rotation will be just fine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/12/09/2008-12-09_mets_sign_closer_francisco_rodriguez-5.html

Mets sign closer Francisco Rodriguez

BY ADAM RUBIN AND BILL MADDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Updated Tuesday, December 9th 2008, 4:38 PM

LAS VEGAS - Talk about an Amazin' deal.

The Mets agreed to financial terms with free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez at the winter meetings on Tuesday, signing the record-setting former Angel to a three-year, $37 million deal, sources told the Daily News.

GM Omar Minaya, speaking at the Bellagio, declined to confirm an agreement had been reached with the 26-year-old closer.

Rodriguez went 2-3 with a 2.24 ERA and an MLB single-season-record 62 saves for the Angels in 2008.

Agent Paul Kinzer had suggested a deal was close about 12 hours earlier, when he told a handful of New York reporters about K-Rod and the Mets: "I think we're at a point where there could be something happening before we leave."

"He'll be relieved when it's over," Kinzer continued. "This isn't a good thing for anybody when you go through it. Everybody looks forward to it, but when they get there it's a lot more stressful than people realized."

The need for the Mets to obtain a closer this offseason arose when Billy Wagner required Tommy John elbow surgery on Sept. 10.

Wagner is owed $10.5 million next season. As a result, at the time of Wagner's injury, high-ranking Mets officials all but ruled out pursuing K-Rod this winter, claiming they wouldn't allot $25 million to the closer position. However, a lack of big-market bidders for Rodriguez and a weak economy drove his asking price down to a palatable range for the Mets, who also met with Brian Fuentes and Trevor Hoffman at the meetings.

Incidentally, a friend of Wagner said Tuesday that Wagner is recovering so well from the elbow procedure, he may return to the Mets in September '09.

Ruthful
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
The best match-up is Hawaii vs. Notre Dame...ON CHRISTMAS EVE!

:arg:

Once you start creating things like the Papajohns.com Bowl you know that things have gotten out of hand.

They need to do away with the BCS and just go back to the old system.

jayson
12-19-2008, 01:21 PM
They need to do away with the BCS and just go back to the old system.

Well the old system wasn't any better at determining a true national champion (see 1996 and how Penn St. got jobbed) but at least it provided better bowl game matchups than the BCS does.

I still don't see why a playoff system can't be created. It seems to work just fine in Division II and III. :orely:

Ruthful
12-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Epic Fail:

http://dallascowboysweakness.ytmnd.com/

jayson
12-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Ok, let's temper this forthcoming rant with the disclosure that I am a Yankees fan. Now that we have established that, let me say this...

I am sick and tired of the boo-hooing and whining from the sports-writers, the management of other teams, and the fans of other teams which has flooded the airwaves since the announcement yesterday that the Yankees signed Mark Teixeira to an 8yr/$180M deal a few weeks after spending nearly a quarter of a million on CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett. All the crying seems to center on the notion that somehow the Yankees have bought themselves a guaranteed title. That pisses me off to no end. Yes, I think the Yankees have put themselves in a position to compete in the AL East, but there are no guarantees in sports.

Let's look at this most recent season. Who went to the World Series? Was it the Yankees and the Mets, the two teams with the highest payrolls? Nope. Embarassingly enough for me as a fan of both teams, neither one even made the playoffs. The World Series was played between the Phillies, with the 13th highest payroll, and the Tampa Bay Rays, who have the 29th highest payroll (29 out of 30 teams). Do we need any further evidence that high-priced free agents don't automatically equate to success? The Rays built a team with young players they drafted over the last few years. There are no high-priced off-season acquisitions on that team.

As far as I'm concerned, the Steinbrenners have every right to spend as much of their money as they wish to build a baseball team. It's their money to spend. If the other owners don't have as much money, quite frankly, tough shit for them. The Rays mgmt proved there are other ways to build a successful franchise. Crying about how much the Yankees are spending just makes people sound like bitter short-sighted whiners. Demanding a salary cap is not going to change a damn thing. There are ways around the cap in the sports that have them, and since baseball is immune to anti-trust legislation, I'm sure baseball owners will find a way around any cap the league imposes should that come to pass.

Rant over.

fernandito
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
From 2nd and goal to an interception + 100 yd touchdown?!??! Are you f'n kidding me?!?!

Horrible decision to go for the pass in the red-zone knowing Pittsburgh's defensive capabilities.

jayson
02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
From 2nd and goal to an interception + 100 yd touchdown?!??! Are you f'n kidding me?!?!

Horrible decision to go for the pass in the red-zone knowing Pittsburgh's defensive capabilities.

It's the only play they could call. You cannot run against the Steelers' D. It's the best in football. A run would have been stuffed. Also credit to Dick Lebeau (the Steelers' Def. Coordinator) for calling such a clever coverage play for Harrison and more credit to Harrison for not being tackled in that 100 yard dash bc if he were the half would have ended and no points.

Ruthful
02-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Not that it matters, since he's team ultimately won, but some of Tomlin's calls were horrible, esp. that decision not to go for it on fourth down inside of the red zone on Pittsburgh's first drive.

I wish Arizona had won, because Docket deserved the MVP, and I would have loved to have seen it awarded to a defensive player.

I ALSO WANT ANQUAN BOLDIN ON THE GIANTS, I DON'T CARE IF HE HAS TWO YEARS LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT!!!

:pullhair:

jayson
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Boldin would be a great fit for the Giants. All the talent of Plaxico and none of the off-the-field insanity. Plus, the guy plays hurt. The Jets literally cracked his head open and the guy was back in a few weeks.

Docket would have been MVP if they'd have won. I think he was MVP regardless. I'd like to see the NFL do what I've only seen done in the NHL, which is to award the MVP to the guy who is actually the MVP not the MVP for the team that won. Twice in the NHL the Conn Smythe trophy (awarded to the MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs) has gone to a player for the team that lost in the finals. Now that's an acknowledgment of a true MVP not just "ok, which guy played best on the winning team".

And I agree, Tomlin is far too conservative an offensive play caller.

Ruthful
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Boldin would be a great fit for the Giants. All the talent of Plaxico and none of the off-the-field insanity. Plus, the guy plays hurt. The Jets literally cracked his head open and the guy was back in a few weeks.

I know, that was amazing!

He was all Hannibal Lecter, then saying "give me the damn ball!"

The guy's one tough bastard.

jayson
02-02-2009, 08:47 AM
He definitely proved he's no prima donna. I think the Giants would be well served by trying to acquire him. He doesn't get a lot of attention because of how spectacular Fitzgerald is, but he could easily be a major threat with another team.

Spencer
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Despite the outcome, I think Kurt Warner made his case for a Hall of Fame spot quite well. On the all time list for passing yards in a Super Bowl game, #1 is Kurt Warner, #2 is Kurt Warner, and #3 is ... Kurt Warner. :lol:

jayson
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think Warner is a Hall of Famer at all. Big numbers in two Super Bowls that he lost are meaningless.

His overall career W/L record is a few wins over mediocre. He's spent as many years fighting for a backup job as he did as a starter.

He is a great big game QB, that I will give him, but over the course of his full career he is completely average in the regular season and doesn't get teams to the big game so he can shine in the spotlight. The big numbers are not there for the entirety of his career which shows that he has no consistency whatsoever. Not the hallmark of a Hall of Famer.

Take away Holt & Bruce as receivers in St. Louis and Fitzgerald and Boldin in Arizona and let's see how good Kurt really is. When he was on the Giants he couldn't even land a starting job. He only got the starting job in Arizona because Leinart was a bust. He wasn't brought in to be the starter. The job was Leinart's to lose and he lost it.

Doesn't really make Kurt sound like he's due for enshrinement in Canton to me.

Ruthful
02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
So what?

Without Jerry Rice and Roger Craig Joe Montana would be Vinny Testaverde.

He sucked with The Giants, but Joe Namath's career, beyond a few great years with The Jets, was worse.

The only substantive difference between Warner and Favre is that the latter never got injured, or played through injuries. Also, Warner is more clutch. To me that counts in Warner's favor, he didn't burden his team when he realized he would be more of a detriment than a benefit.

jayson
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
So what?

Without Jerry Rice and Roger Craig Joe Montana would be Vinny Testaverde.

He sucked with The Giants, but Joe Namath's career, beyond a few great years with The Jets, was worse.

The only substantive difference between Warner and Favre is that the latter never got injured, or played through injuries. Also, Warner is more clutch. To me that counts in Warner's favor, he didn't burden his team when he realized he would be more of a detriment than a benefit.

On what do you base more clutch? Favre won more championships. Seems more clutch to me. Ditto Montana. Warner won one title. If one title gets you into the Hall of Fame then make room for Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer in Canton.

The difference between Favre and Warner is vast and it goes to consistency. Ignoring this past year when Favre should have retired, his stats are consistent and aside from a few years with Sterling Sharpe, Brett never had a tandem like Warner or Montana had to throw to. He did more with less. And again, for me clutch has as much to do with getting your team to the big games as it does winning them. Once more, I'd put Favre ahead of Warner in that category.

I can't see a reasonable argument that Brett is not a Hall of Famer but I see several about Warner. If you can't land a starting job year in and year out, then you did not dominate your position in your era, which is the real criterion for being in Canton.

As for Namath, I agree with you, though as a Jets fan it pains me to do so.

SpaceMaN
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Is anyone else pissed they didn't review that "fumble" and give LarryZona a chance at a Hail Mary? Didn't even look at it? Went all NASCAR and gave the game to who they wanted to win?

jayson
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Is anyone else pissed they didn't review that "fumble" and give LarryZona a chance at a Hail Mary? Didn't even look at it? Went all NASCAR and gave the game to who they wanted to win?

No I'm not pissed at all because it was reported today that the officials in the booth DID review it several times and concluded that it was a fumble. This is in line with the replay rules as written regarding the last two minutes of a half.

I certainly don't buy into any conspiracy theory about who the NFL "wanted to win" either because if there were a team they'd have wanted to win it'd have been the Cards because that would have made for a better story.

jayson
02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
So do any Portland Trail Blazers fans still think drafting Oden over Durant was a good idea?

Currently, Durant is the 5th highest scorer in the league and Oden is injured, yet again. It always appeared to me that the Blazers drafted Oden for exactly one reason, he's 7 feet tall. There's so much more to being a presence in the low post than being tall. He may be a 7 footer, but he's a stick figure. There's no bulk on him at all. Sure he can possibly add some bulk as time goes on, but the more injuries he sustains now, the tougher it's going to be on his body (especially his knees) if and when he does add any weight.

I won't go so far as to call Oden a bust just yet because he is moderately productive when he does play, but he's nowhere near productive enough to have justified a number one overall pick. Durant, on the other hand, stepped right into the league and became the star everyone knew he was going to be. I know which one I'd have built a franchise around.

Ruthful
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
BWEEEEEE!

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/02/stephon_marbury_is_really_trul.html

After so many false reports of Stephon Marbury’s imminent departure from the Knicks, it’s almost hard to believe that the team has finally, officially parted ways with the former superstar. But it really is true: As part of a settlement reached yesterday, in which Marbury dropped his grievance over a $400,000 fine from earlier this season, Marbury is finally free to sign elsewhere, almost certainly in Boston.

There were only two possible reasons to keep Marbury any longer: One would be to keep him off the roster of a team (like Boston) that the Knicks might face in the playoffs. But if he’s so terrible that the Knicks won’t even let him dress for games, we doubt they cared about potentially having to play him — even if he’ll be insanely motivated to show them up. The other would have been out of pure spite, and to be honest, that wouldn’t really be fair to Marbury, who’s handled his benching pretty well, all things considered. Sure, there are monetary considerations, but this always seemed like an awfully pointless punishment for what he’d done as a Knick, and it was always unclear whether they were simply punishing him or proving a point about Isiah Thomas’s bad acquisitions...

Rjeso
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Twins over Boston in the first ST game. Sweeeeet.

jayson
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
So the free agency/trade season has started in the NFL and already there has been a move for a veteran QB. Who is it? Kurt Warner? No. Kerry Collins? Nope. Jeff Garcia? Nope. The first QB to officially change teams is Sage Rosenfels who has been traded from the Texans to the Vikings for a 4th round pick. I can see where the Texans would rather have a pick than Sage Rosenfels, but what does Minnesota gain?

Also, on the free agency topic... $100 million for Albert Haynesworth? Washington overpaid for that one. Yes, he is the most dominant defensive lineman in the NFL. He's also only injury prone, having played only one full 16 game season in his career.

It is also now being reported that the Jets are trying to sign Ravens' linebacker Bart Scott. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. If there was a single free agent I wanted, it was Scott. He's the kind of LB you build a defense around. I hope it works out.

Ruthful
02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't know why everyone's ragging on Rosenfels. The only reason he looked bad on The Texans was because he was compared to Matt Schaub, who was the fourth-best QB in a draft loaded with QB talent.

Once he learns how to stop throwing picks he'll be pretty good. Even if he doesn't, he's still Bret Favre compared to T-Jack and Gus Frerotte. I think this was a score for Minnesota.

jayson
02-27-2009, 12:09 PM
We shall see. I'm just looking at Minnesota and seeing a playoff team that thinks it Sage Rosenfels away from a shot at a championship. Anything can happen I suppose, but there are other QB options I'd be looking at. Don' the Viking also have John-David Booty? Not that he's the answer either, but I just remembered that he is there. So who's odd man out now, Frerotte?

Ruthful
02-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Probably not, because as bad as he is he still beat out Tavaris Jackson on talent last season. I remember watching him play Dallas in 2007 and thinking to myself that this guy is worse than Dave Brown or Kent Graham on their worst day.

I don't know why scouts are so enamored of "arm strength," as if that means anything. It's like these dopes who keep putting so much emphasis on the combine.

Yeah, I'm sure that means a lot. Vernon*cough*Gholsten.

jayson
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Ugh and you know I'm a Jets fan so Vernon Gholston (aka "The Invisible Man") is the perfect example of all hype and no football skill. But, at least we signed Bart Scott today apparently. Now that's a linebacker. Makes me rethink the draft where I wanted to go LB with pick #17. Now thinking another CB to complement Derell Revis who has, in two years, made a lot of strides and sees the ball thrown less and less to his side of the field.

fernandito
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
It was a good fight, all 5 minutes of it.

LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Pacquiao is in his prime right now, it's going to take a lot to bring him down. I really want to see a Pacquaio vs Mayweather fight.

jayson
05-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Shock and surprise abounds as yet another superstar baseball player tests positive for performance enhancing drugs. This time it is Manny Ramirez.

I have never been among Manny's supporters, particularly after he physically assaulted Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick. Still, I did always give him credit where it was due as he is more than just a slugger having the fourth highest batting average in history among guys that have hit 500+ home runs (behind only Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Jimmy Foxx).

Now I am not sure how much credit he should get for his "accomplishments." He's just another cheater.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test

By Bill Shaikin and Dylan Hernandez Times Staff Writers
8:35 AM PDT, May 7, 2009

Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended 50 games starting today, The Times has learned.

The test result and suspension is expected to be announced later today. The Dodgers informed triple-A outfielder Xavier Paul this morning that he was being promoted to Los Angeles.

Ramirez is expected to attribute the test results to medication received from a doctor for a personal medical issue, according to a source familiar with matter but not authorized to speak publicly.

With the suspension taking effect with tonight's game at Dodger Stadium, Ramirez will not be eligible to return to the team until July 3.

Ramirez would become the biggest star suspended under an oft-criticized major league testing program that started in 2003. He had been a model citizen since arriving in Los Angeles last August, following a stormy tenure with the Boston Red Sox.

This is the second drug scandal to rock baseball within four months. In a year in which baseball officials hoped their greatest concern would be the slumping economy, the two highest-paid players in the game have been revealed to have failed a drug test.

Alex Rodriguez, the game's highest-paid player, acknowledged during a February news conference that he used steroids from 2001 to 2003. The admission followed a Sports Illustrated report that he failed a drug test in 2003, when players were not subject to suspension.

Ramirez did not appear in the clubhouse after the Dodgers' 10-3 victory over the Washington Nationals Wednesday night. After the game, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti and Manager Joe Torre said they were unaware of any failed test or pending suspension.

As unconfirmed reports circulated around Dodger Stadium on Wednesday night, Scott Boras, the agent for Ramirez, declined to comment.

Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney said he could not comment, citing the limitations stipulated in baseball's drug policy.

Rob Manfred, baseball's top labor lawyer, and Michael Weiner, general counsel for the players' union, did not return multiple messages.

The loss of Ramirez would leave a gaping hole in the Dodgers' lineup. Juan Pierre, the likely replacement for Ramirez in left field, has batted ninth in two of his five starts this season.

Ramirez doubled and drove in two runs on Wednesday, as the Dodgers set a major league record with their 13th consecutive home victory at the start of the season. The Dodgers have the best record in the major leagues, at 21-8, and the biggest division lead in the majors, at 6 1/2 games in the National League West.

Ramirez leads the Dodgers in batting average [.348], on-base percentage [.492] and slugging percentage [.641], and he is tied for the team lead in home runs with six.

He signed a two-year, $45-million contract with the Dodgers in March, with the first year guaranteed at $25 million and the second year at his option at $20 million.

In an appearance at USC last month, Jose Canseco said Ramirez's name "is most likely, 90%" on a list of 104 players that failed a drug test in 2003. The players were promised anonymity for taking tests in 2003; Rodriguez is the only player that has been identified among that group.

Ramirez laughed when Times columnist Kurt Streeter relayed Canseco's allegation to him.

"I got no comment, nothing to say about that," Ramirez told Streeter. "What can I say? I don't even know the guy."

turtlex
05-07-2009, 08:03 AM
( so glad he's no longer a Red Sox player )

jayson
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Everyone gave the Red Sox a lot of crap for getting rid of him, especially once he started getting hot for the Dodgers last year. I still think it was a good move regardless. His punching Kevin Youkilis in the dugout was one thing, Youkilis is a professional athlete and a big boy, he can defend himself. When Manny put his hands on the traveling secretary, that was something else altogether and completely unacceptable. That would have been enough for me even without the way he completely dogged it in left field. Jason Bay may never hit like Manny Ramirez (only three people in baseball history have ever hit like Manny) but Bay is a solid player and he will give it all he's got every game.

I am just thankful that the Mets resisted the urge to pick him up. The last thing they needed was Manny.

turtlex
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Honestly, I hated that the Red Sox got rid of him. He was my favorite player at the time. I loved watching him...

... this whole cheating stuff though - I'm sorry, I am a hardline about that stuff... forget about suspending, out of the league, that's what I'd do. He broke the rules and cheated. Cheating is cheating.

jayson
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I couldn't agree more Pam. Considering the treatment baseball gave Joe Jackson and Pete Rose, I have zero tolerance for guys like Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Alex Reodriguez, and now Manny. They're a disgrace to the game. Not only did they sully their own reputations, they've cast a shadow over the whole game. It's impossible now for me to look at any player and not wonder when it's going to come out that they've cheated too.

turtlex
05-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes! Exactly the right word - disgrace.

No way any of those guys should be holding records.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Chicago Black Sox. Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver.

jayson
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Especially considering there is no proof that Jackson and Weaver actually participated in the scam. If their stats are representative of two guys that threw games, I can't imagine what they'd accomplished if they played harder. For Jackson and Pete Rose to not be in the Hall of Fame is a travesty. As for the modern day cheaters, their so-called "records" are meaningless to me. Hank Aaron may have been extremely gracious last year when Bonds passed his mark but Aaron hit all of his fair and square. Until someone hits 756 without the aid of steroids, Aaron is the home run king in my book. I still consider Maris the single season HR king too since McGwire, Sosa and Bonds are all cheaters.

turtlex
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree about Jackson and Weaver.
I am kind of back and forth on Rose. He placed bets on baseball when it was forbidden and he knew it. Seemed to me at least he took some personal responsbility and admitted he'd broken the rules. ( even if the rules were stupid, they were still rules he had agreed to follow as a member of MLB )

Without a doubt - AARON is the record holder in my book. No one even comes close and the fact that he was around and what not, just shows what a gracious and stand-up guy he is... cause those other guys are the most self-centered players I've ever seen.

jayson
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
My problem is that the gambling took place while Rose was a manager. It shouldn't effect his Hall of Fame worthy accomplishments as a player.

I understand why baseball took punitive action to prevent him from ever being a manager again. He did break the rules and there should be consequences but I've never understood the logic of that action retroactively erasing his playing career. It seemed to me to be more the vengeful overreaction of a Commissioner which has now become a tradition for other commissioners to uphold.

turtlex
05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, that's the only reason I go back and forth on it - because he was manager. But still, that's a very powerful position to be in, and still betting. So I go back again. :D

CRinVA
05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
So how are we ever supposed to know who doped and who didn't - I have to believe that many "got away" with it, while "manny" did not :-). And they still aren't testing for HGH!!!!!

As far as Rose goes, I think he should be in the Hall as a Player and never considered as a Manager!

The game has changed over time; baseballs have changed; bats have changed; park dimensions have changed; people have changed (really the average human size 100 years ago was smaller than it is today!); technology has changed; training has changed;

There is no constant, so it becomes harder and harder to determine valid criteria for entrance into the Hall of Fame. I am not condonign any of the "behavior", just thinking out loud I guess.

There are pelnty of bad boys in the Hall right now - let's start with a few biggies like Ruth and Mantle - they were not saints for sure, but are revered in the Hall. I am not complaining - I am a big yankee fan after all - Mantle has always been my hero, though when I watched the movie 61 he came down in my respect a notch or two!

jayson
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Excellent points CR. :)

I agree that a player's character shouldn't keep him out of the Hall of Fame. From everything I've ever read, Ty Cobb was one of the most offensive jerks anyone could ever meet. Mantle was a raging alcoholic and he and Billy Martin got into more than their share of drunken bar fights. Still, they didn't cheat. My dad used to wonder all the time how many more home runs Mantle could have hit if he'd been sober the night before.

As far as the Hall is concerned, all that should matter is what a player does on the field, but if it can't be determined whether or not that player did it fairly, they don't belong there. It's a shame that the cloud of suspicion now falls over so many players because I'm sure some of them are on the level but it gets harder and harder to tell which ones.

Goblin
05-09-2009, 08:33 AM
The mood in Hattersley is not much fun. Sorrow.

Jean
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Russian Bears are happy to announce that they are, again, Ice Hockey Champions of the World!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

jayson
05-11-2009, 03:55 AM
I was actually just reading an article on the finals.

Congrats to the Russian team. :clap:

There are some phenomenal talents on that team, though the best current Russian player (Alexander Ovechkin) is still playing in the NHL playoffs right now (for at least one more day unless Washington loses tonight).

I wish they would televise the World Hockey Championships here but they apparently have enough of a problem broadcasting the NHL. Too many people don't understand hockey and then the claim is that it doesn't translate to television so those of us that do understand it and have no problem whatsoever understanding it on tv get screwed.

Jean
05-11-2009, 04:09 AM
doesn't translate to television! I've been watching ice hockey since I was a little cub, and our team was beating everybody in the 70s... absolutely great times (now, hopefully, coming back http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_whistle.gif)... and we had a TV set with the screen the size of a big matchbox, we watched with a big lens filled with water and installed in front of the screen to make it bigger... goes without saying it was black and white... and I swear it was a great spectacle every time! Those who don't understand should realize it depends on who is winning - if it's your team, all of a sudden you realize that everything translates perfectly well and can be understood without a slightest difficulty http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara05.gif

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Congratulations to the Russian Bears! I'm quite sad Finland didn't make it, but Russia was my second choice. I've always adored deeply the Russian legends, likes of Krutov-Larionov-Makarov. But especially Vladislav Tretjak. What a goalkeeper! *sighs*

(in fact, Sergei Fedorov was the very reason I began to support Detroit Red Wings since -92. :innocent: )

turtlex
05-11-2009, 04:40 AM
You know - given the huge number to useless cable stations out there... I always felt there was a big hole in the International Sports category.

For one thing, during soccer's World Cup.... I would have loved to have watched some of those matches. As it was, my options for any of them was extremely limited.

A good friend of mine would love to get EuroSports coverage of Figure Skating, as well.

I think we need to start our own programming/cable network.

jayson
05-11-2009, 05:30 AM
But especially Vladislav Tretjak. What a goalkeeper! *sighs*

Tretiak was the greatest goaltender I'd ever seen, right up until the 1985-86 NHL season when this guy came along...

http://www.unlockedsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/patrick-roy.jpg

I've seen many great goalies since, but never another one quite like Patrick Roy. His performance in the 1986/1987 Stanley Cup Playoffs is among the most spectacular accomplishments I've ever seen. Twenty-year-old goalies are not supposed to be that good. Roy was always one to put on a show between the pipes, like in the 1992/93 playoffs where he won 10 straight overtime games (11 straight games overall) to propel the Habs to another Stanley Cup victory. His two more championships in Colorado were a nice encore and he played amazing hockey in both of them, but nobody was surprised at that point. He'd been St. Patrick since he was 20 and by the time he was in his 30's, winning championships was what we all expected him to do.

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Oh yes, oh yes! 'On the 8th day, God created Patrick Roy' - that's what I once saw on someone's sign among the audience at a Habs game. Goalies have always been my favourite. Roy, Hextall, Hasek, ohhhh. So many of them! Nowadays I'm pleased to see Miikka Kiprusoff is doing quite well. Finnish power!

YouTube - Miikka Kiprusoff AMAZING Save [Multi-Feed] {Slo-mo}

jayson
05-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Great Finnish goaltenders seem to be the trend for the NHL in recent years.

Kiprusoff, Vesa Toskala, and Niklas Backstrom all start for their teams. Antero Niittymaki, and Pekka Rinne contended strongly for starting spots on their teams.

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 05:49 AM
*hoping that the Vezina Trophy will go to Bäckström*

Please, please, please. :)

jayson
05-11-2009, 06:01 AM
I think he deserves it, and he'd get my vote if I had one, but if I had to place a bet, I suspect they're going to give it to Tim Thomas.

Ruthful
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Is it just me, or does the new Houston Rockets logo remind you of anything?

http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGZ195_8x10-2006Logo%7EHouston-Rockets-Posters.jpg

I didn't notice it until I watched their spanking of Kobe's powder puffs this weekend, but I thought I'd broach the question here.

jayson
05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
:lol:
I see what you see.

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't see what you see. I'm thick. :cry:

Ruthful
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/a/8/3/a836a8ddb1dccc52cea03657ae29504f.jpg

jayson
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
...with a tower growing in the middle of it

jayson
05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Does Colorado regret firing Joel Quenneville as Avalanche coach yet? I said at the time that it was a terrible move because (a) coaching was not their problem, and (b) he happens to be an excellent coach. In one season he has taken the Blackhawks to the Western Conference Finals in this, their first year back in the playoffs in five years.

It's not like he was handed a playoff-ready team in Chicago either. They are an extremely young team but he got them to buy into his system and it's now paying dividends. They will have their hands full with either Detroit or Anaheim, but they're there, and that's a lot more than can be said for the team that fired Quenneville.

I don't care one way or the other about the Blackhawks, but it is nice to see an original six team succeed. It's good for the league.

Brice
05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Is it just me, or does the new Houston Rockets logo remind you of anything?

http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGZ195_8x10-2006Logo%7EHouston-Rockets-Posters.jpg

I didn't notice it until I watched their spanking of Kobe's powder puffs this weekend, but I thought I'd broach the question here.

ALL HAIL THE CRIMSON KING Houston Rockets! :lol:

Ruthful
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I am free to root for them now that the evil Olajuwon is gone.

And for the record, I wish Artest was back in New York.

http://images.smarter.com/blogs/artest.jpg

Lily-sai
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/a/8/3/a836a8ddb1dccc52cea03657ae29504f.jpg

I see it now.. I see it now!! :panic:

Ruthful
05-12-2009, 02:09 PM
It's a diabolical plan to eliminate the National Basketball Association and create chaotic evil.
:orely:

Lily-sai
05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
The Prim is rising again, it's rising again! :scared:

jayson
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
It's a diabolical plan to eliminate the National Basketball Association and create chaotic evil.

Maybe that's what drew Artest to Houston. :evil:

Ruthful
05-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I would kill have players like Artest and Brooks, or even Scola and Battier, on The Knicks.

:(

jayson
05-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I have plenty of respect for Artest's playing abilities because he is a great player without a doubt. It's his willingness to assault fans I can't condone. It's hard to forget that incident. I'm not suggesting he'd ever do it again, but it's unforgivable that he did it once. Given the harsh punishments in the NBA for throwing a punch at another player after Kermit Washington cleaned Rudy Tomjanovich's clock, I was somewhat shocked that Artest and Jackson weren't suspended for life.

Speaking of suspensions, and switching sports here for a minute, I am getting a little ticked off that the talk of a Michael Vick comeback is getting geared up with his impending release from prison next week. As far as I understand the situation, the man has yet to serve a single day of suspension from the NFL. He didn't play last year not because he was suspended, but because he was in prison. I expect Roger Goddell to still issue a NFL penalty on Vick, and personally, I hope it's severe. After that he can go play for the Raiders or the Cowboys or whatever team is hiring criminals at that time.

Ruthful
05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't think the two incidents are really analogous.

1. The punch Kermit Washington threw at Tomjanovich was a potentially life-ending assault. No one's life was imperiled by Artest escalating that on-court confrontation by heading into the stands.
2. The Artest situation was initially provoked by the fans, not the players on the court. Remember, these are some of the same people who burn down their city for fun/riot in celebration.

Yeah, Artest's reaction after the incident was immature, but what do you expect? He was a kid when that happened.

Ruthful
05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't see how Michael Vick could possibly play this season, even if he's eventually reinstated by the league. I still don't get why there are Jets fans who wanted him to come in to run some weird, single wing offense variation on what their intra-division rival, The Dolphins, are doing.

jayson
05-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I don't think the two incidents are really analogous.

1. The punch Kermit Washington threw at Tomjanovich was a potentially life-ending assault. No one's life was imperiled by Artest escalating that on-court confrontation by heading into the stands.
2. The Artest situation was initially provoked by the fans, not the players on the court. Remember, these are some of the same people who burn down their city for fun/riot in celebration.

Yeah, Artest's reaction after the incident was immature, but what do you expect? He was a kid when that happened.

The essential difference being what, that Washington is more adept at throwing a decent punch than Artest or Jackson? In my eyes, at least Washington hit a fellow athlete, not some jerk in the stands. It doesn't matter what the fans do (or what city they do it in) unless a fan comes out on to the court and a player has to defend himself there is no excuse for physically assaulting a fan. Artest and Jackson were not attacked in any real sense of the word. They chose to go into the stands and they chose to throw punches at fans. That nobody in the stands got as hurt as Rudy Tomjanovich did is a matter of luck, not any superior restraint on Artest or Jackson's part that puts them above Washington. To say nobody's life was imperiled is easy to say after the fact, but it doesn't seem to be a realistic assessment to me.

As for "he's a kid, what did I expect?" I expected him to act like a professional. He was 25 when it happened. There are many players in the league a lot younger than 25 and none of them find it necessary to fight the spectators.

I don't see how Michael Vick could possibly play this season, even if he's eventually reinstated by the league. I still don't get why there are Jets fans who wanted him to come in to run some weird, single wing offense variation on what their intra-division rival, The Dolphins, are doing.

I don't understand that either. I thought the Baltimore/Miami playoff game last year made it abundantly clear that the "Wild Fad" offense is nothing but a gimmick and when it is faced with a solid defensive scheme, it's useless. Ryan's defensive maneuvers shut it down completely and the Dolphins were forced to rely on Pennington's arm. For all the "Chad is great, the Jets are stupid" talk last year, when it came down to Chad having to run the offense without the stupid gimmicks, the Dolphins were completely ineffective. I still don't understand how that crap worked week after week anyway. I see college teams run that offense every saturday, and every saturday I see college defenses shut it down. I couldn't understand how pro defenses couldn't figure it out until Rex Ryan sent the Ravens out there to do it. That game is now a blue print for the rest of the league to follow.

Brice
05-18-2009, 03:42 AM
and a player has to defend himself there is no excuse for physically assaulting a fan unless the game is hockey then it is part of the game.

;)

jayson
05-18-2009, 04:58 AM
The more I think about it, the more I replay both incidents in my head. The more I do that, the less I understand how the Artest incident can be seen as not imperiling anyone's life.

In the words of the great NY sportscaster Warner Wolf, let's go to the videotape...

#1 Artest/Jackson attack fans...

YouTube - Pistons vs Pacer Brawl November 19, 2004

#2 Kermit Washington decks Rudy Tomjanovich

YouTube - The Kermit Washington Story - Redemption 4 of 7

I make no arguments that the punch Washington threw wasn't brutal, it was. However, how can you look at that scene of utter chaos in the stands where it is easily imaginable that someone would be crushed to death and say that nobody's life was in any danger? So a fan threw a paper cup with beer in it at Artest. Big fucking deal. He's a 25 year old millionaire professional athlete. Grow a thicker skin and suck it up.

The difference between the incidents is that Washington put Tomjanovich's life in peril, Artest put hundreds of people's lives in peril. You're right, they are not analogous. One is much much worse.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 04:19 AM
I know you guys dont care, and it's a bit of topic, but...

Sunderland are still in the prem!!! (football. Or soccer for my american friends.) and Newcastle are relegated. There should be some kind of celebration to mark this wonderful day. cant stop smiling.

heard a joke the other day by the way. what's the difference between an arsanist and Newcastle Utd.?
an arsanist wouldnt loose his last ten matches.
MWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!:excited:

Ruthful
05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, they had a story on BBC World about that.

Is there going to be some mass-suicide in Newcastle now that their justification for living has been pretty much wiped out?

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
we can only hope.

I've stll grin on. haha hahahaha wahahahaha MWAWAHAHAHA!!!!!

"whats yellow on the out side, black and white on the inside, and funny as fuck?" Newcastle Utd away fans on a coach to middlesbro.

heheheheehehehe:excited::excited::excited::excited ::excited:

Ruthful
05-27-2009, 04:36 AM
I'm not a huge soccer fan, but one thing I like about is the relegation system. I would love to see something like that in North American sports, e.g. the Detroit Lions being forced to play in the CFL if they don't win more than four games next season.

jayson
05-27-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm not a huge soccer fan, but one thing I like about is the relegation system. I would love to see something like that in North American sports, e.g. the Detroit Lions being forced to play in the CFL if they don't win more than four games next season.

:lol:

Or perhaps go the opposite root of the unneeded expansion which brought "parity" (which means "mediocrity") to our pro sports. We should have contraction instead of expansion. If the Lions and the Rams can't win four games between them, they should have to become one team.

Obviously I am being facetious, in part. I do believe contraction is the way to go in several sports. Having so many teams waters down the talent level. The argument often runs that it's exciting to have different teams be competitive each year instead of having dynasties. I think in the era of free agency, different teams can compete every year anyway.

ManOfWesternesse
05-27-2009, 06:24 AM
It's THE BIG night of European Soccer tonight - The Champions league Final.

Manchester United -Vs- Barcelona

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z47/ManOfWesternesse/MUFC.gif - http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z47/ManOfWesternesse/barca.gif

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Gwahahahahaha... to think that Man U thought they would win five trophies this year. what a joke.
Just such a shame i was in work and missed the game. was it good, i wonder..?

ManOfWesternesse
05-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Gwahahahahaha... to think that Man U thought they would win five trophies this year. what a joke.
Just such a shame i was in work and missed the game. was it good, i wonder..?
No.
We looked good (very good) for first 10 mins. Then Barca scored on their first attack (damn poor defending.... first Anderson & Carrick / then Vidic / then Evra) - we were complete shite after that. Well beaten by a better team.:cry:

fernandito
05-28-2009, 03:21 AM
BARSA CAMPEONES! MES QUE UN CLUB! :excited:

Sorry Brian, but the better team won today! :D

ManOfWesternesse
05-28-2009, 03:55 AM
No problem fp - completely agree with you.
Iniesta was unbelievable - has a good claim on the 'real' world's-best-player, imho.

fernandito
05-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Easily. We all know of Messi's talent, but I think his biggest problem is his consistency... that, and the fact that he doesn't play well against the bigger teams. Sure, he scored an amazing goal, but does that goal alone merit him receiving the Balon De Oro? I would much rather see Iniesta or Xavi win the prize , those two play well all the time, and the way they're able to orchestrate their teams playing-rhythm from midfield is just unbelievable.

Melike
05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Your Alucard theme was awesome. <_<
:D

No matter what happened, I am not pleased about the match, maybe my expectations about it was too much. Wish there had been a real competition.

And our narrator is in love with Messi, I think. :D He kept on saying ''Messi and others'' which became annoying.

jayson
05-28-2009, 06:08 AM
And our narrator is in love with Messi, I think. :D He kept on saying ''Messi and others'' which became annoying.

That's why I tend to watch sports with the volume down and music playing. I don't need announcers to tell me what's going on. :D

Melike
05-28-2009, 06:10 AM

That's why I tend to watch sports with the volume down and music playing. I don't need announcers to tell me what's going on. :D

:o You miss so much then. They are funnier than most of the comedians, by their interesting nature. :D

jayson
05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I still listen sometimes. Sometimes not. It depends on my mood and what sport it is.

ManOfWesternesse
05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
[1] No matter what happened, I am not pleased about the match, maybe my expectations about it was too much. Wish there had been a real competition.

[2] And our narrator is in love with Messi, I think. :D He kept on saying ''Messi and others'' which became annoying.

[1] Agreed. Lack of quality was all down to United though. Midfield were terrible (Anderson + Giggs + (even worse) Carrick. Ferdinand v.poor in defence. Vidic far from his best. Scholes poor enough when he came on. Tevez & Berbatov both pretty innefective too. (Christ - that's nearly the WHOLE TEAM!) O'shea was good - Van Der Saar good apart from first goal - could have done better with it. Ronaldo good in spots - same for Rooney & Park.

[2] yeah - get a lot of the same here. Iniesta was man of the match for me. Have to also give MAJOR congrats to (ex-United man) Pique - for a young player he was MASSIVE on the day!

Melike
05-28-2009, 06:52 AM
[1] No matter what happened, I am not pleased about the match, maybe my expectations about it was too much. Wish there had been a real competition.

[2] And our narrator is in love with Messi, I think. :D He kept on saying ''Messi and others'' which became annoying.

[1] Agreed. Lack of quality was all down to United though. Midfield were terrible (Anderson + Giggs + (even worse) Carrick. Ferdinand v.poor in defence. Vidic far from his best. Scholes poor enough when he came on. Tevez & Berbatov both pretty innefective too. (Christ - that's nearly the WHOLE TEAM!) O'shea was good - Van Der Saar good apart from first goal - could have done better with it. Ronaldo good in spots - same for Rooney & Park.

[2] yeah - get a lot of the same here. Iniesta was man of the match for me. Have to also give MAJOR congrats to (ex-United man) Pique - for a young player he was MASSIVE on the day!

That is so right, but I didn't want to mention that, not to upset you. :)Yeah, I know. :(
Xavi was good, too.
In general, I think Ronaldo is playing a little selfish, personal. And he was same again.

fernandito
05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
I think that in this game Ronaldo needed to be selfish, if only because of the horrendous lack of creativity from MU's midfield.

Did Rooney even show up to the game? No breakaways, no dribbling, no flank runs, something was definitely up with him. Carrick needs a lot of time and space to get his rhythm going, and the suffocating pressure by Xavi and Iniesta was just too much for him. I really don't know why Ferguson insists with Park, apart from being occasionally productive with his touch-and-go's, he doesn't really add weight to MU's offense. Ronaldo and Tevez did their best, Berbatov? Thank you for coming. Out of Manchester's back 4, only Evra did an acceptable job, Vidic didn't know whether to mark Iniesta or Xavi, and Ferdinand shouldn't have been in the starting line up.

Now, onto Barcelona - Messi did an OK job, nothing phenomenal, but he did keep Vidic and Ferndinand permanently off guard which helped create spaces for the midfield generals. Henry was obviously off-form from his 3 week absence. Eto'o was hyperactive in the offense and gave a lot of passes. I don't even have to mention the midfield players. Now the defense, the defense really deserves a pat back on the back. With 3 of the usual starters out due to injury/suspension, it seemed as if Barcelona would go down quickly in the first round. But luckily, Toure Yaya - who is not a defender but a defensive midfielder - was in tiptop shape and performed admirably, and Sylvinho, despite not having started a game in about 3 months, really stepped up and helped stopped MU's frontline.

All in all, I was really impressed with the match, I knew it wasn't going to be the shooting gallery that many predicted, simply because it's a final and teams usually play conservatively [to an extent] for fear of making the one mistake that can cost them the game, and I'm glad that it was my team which was victorious in the end.

Viva Barsa! :D

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
finaly got round to watching the match which i'd sky plusd, and must say, i kinnda wish i hadn't. that said some of Barca's passing game and ball retention was unbelivable. deserving champs.

now lets just hope the Gunners can take the title next year.

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
......now lets just hope the Gunners can take the title next year.

OK, somebody go get the guys in the white coats, we have an emergency situation here!

[/JOKE] :lol:

Melike
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I think that in this game Ronaldo needed to be selfish, if only because of the horrendous lack of creativity from MU's midfield.

Did Rooney even show up to the game? No breakaways, no dribbling, no flank runs, something was definitely up with him. Carrick needs a lot of time and space to get his rhythm going, and the suffocating pressure by Xavi and Iniesta was just too much for him. I really don't know why Ferguson insists with Park, apart from being occasionally productive with his touch-and-go's, he doesn't really add weight to MU's offense. Ronaldo and Tevez did their best, Berbatov? Thank you for coming. Out of Manchester's back 4, only Evra did an acceptable job, Vidic didn't know whether to mark Iniesta or Xavi, and Ferdinand shouldn't have been in the starting line up.

Now, onto Barcelona - Messi did an OK job, nothing phenomenal, but he did keep Vidic and Ferndinand permanently off guard which helped create spaces for the midfield generals. Henry was obviously off-form from his 3 week absence. Eto'o was hyperactive in the offense and gave a lot of passes. I don't even have to mention the midfield players. Now the defense, the defense really deserves a pat back on the back. With 3 of the usual starters out due to injury/suspension, it seemed as if Barcelona would go down quickly in the first round. But luckily, Toure Yaya - who is not a defender but a defensive midfielder - was in tiptop shape and performed admirably, and Sylvinho, despite not having started a game in about 3 months, really stepped up and helped stopped MU's frontline.

All in all, I was really impressed with the match, I knew it wasn't going to be the shooting gallery that many predicted, simply because it's a final and teams usually play conservatively [to an extent] for fear of making the one mistake that can cost them the game, and I'm glad that it was my team which was victorious in the end.

Viva Barsa! :D

Totally agreed. But he always needs this. <_<
And that makes sense, but I don't mean that, saying I was expecting more competition.
Anyway, congrats.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
England lose the Twenty20 world cup opener to the Dutch. tut. feel pysically sick.
What a game though. edge of the seat stuff. too lose off an over throw. heart breaking.

We missed KP today. Hopefully he'll be back for the Pakistan match or we're completely fucked.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-05-2009, 07:35 PM
cant believe there are no dark tower + cricket fans, other than me. Cricket is the dark tower made sport. Goes on for ever, and after all the cliff hangers we still wonder wat the fuk is going on. COME ON!!! tis' the world cup!!!!

jayson
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Cricket puts me more in mind of Life, The Universe and Everything than any Dark Tower books. :rolleyes:

fernandito
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Can't wait for the Lakers vs Magic game later today :D

Arthur Heath
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I couldnt be less excited about a series. I hate the Lakers and am 'bleh' about Orlando. Wonder if Nike has stopped the Kobe Vs. Lebron muppet commercials now that the Cavs choked.

*edit* I feel the need to throw in the fact that anyone other than the Blazers can kiss off.

jayson
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Wonder if Nike has stopped the Kobe Vs. Lebron muppet commercials now that the Cavs choked.

Unfortunately, no, they haven't. I've already seen one about six times today.

Arthur Heath
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Wonder if Nike has stopped the Kobe Vs. Lebron muppet commercials now that the Cavs choked.

Unfortunately, no, they haven't. I've already seen one about six times today.

Whats your sport of choice this time of year?

jayson
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Whats your sport of choice this time of year?

Hockey is always the default for me, but I've tried to watch as much basketball as possible too. It's easier when they're on different nights, or when one or the other is a blowout. It also helps that I can't stand either Detroit or Pittsburgh. Not really a big Lakers or Magic fan either, but Orlando is only 70 miles from here so I am rooting for them (even if they are in a lot of trouble at this point).

Of course this weekend is MLB inter-league play part two which means Mets/Yankees on tv two days in a row. Now that I will be watching. :D

Lily-sai
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Jayson, will you forgive me for supporting Red Wings? :ninja:

Arthur Heath
06-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Ive been so bored with sports lately I found myself watching the Giro D'italia (bicycle racing) and curling of all things. I dont get any hockey channels. I havent been into MLB for 20 years (maybe if the Mariners didnt suck so bad) and any NBA team other than the Blazers can, well, you know.

fernandito
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you given futbol a try, Skol? :)

jayson
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Jayson, will you forgive me for supporting Red Wings? :ninja:

After the nonsense late in game 3, I'm supporting the Wings tonight as well. I know Pittsburgh was frustrated. I would be too if I were getting blown out by 5 goals, but Crosby & company resorted to taking out their frustrations with their sticks. I have no tolerance for slashing, especially the slash on Datsyuk's broken foot which was clearly an attempt to intentionally injure him. I'm all for "sending a message" to the other team for the next game, but with big hits or fists, not the stick. If they want to send a message with their sticks, they should try using them to score a goal or two.

Ive been so bored with sports lately I found myself watching the Giro D'italia (bicycle racing) and curling of all things. I dont get any hockey channels. I havent been into MLB for 20 years (maybe if the Mariners didnt suck so bad) and any NBA team other than the Blazers can, well, you know.

Wow, that is bored to watch curling. The Stanley Cup finals are on NBC.

Ruthful
06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
I hate the Lakers.

Where do I fucking-begin?!

That turdhead Adam Morrison, with his Nehru jacket waving a towel around like a retard every time someone on L.A. hits a wide-open shot.

That self-important douchetard Kobe Bryant acting like he's Bill-Russell every single minute of the game. You could put a crowbar underneath his chin and he wouldn't smile.

Oh, and the fans. THE FANS! These idiots should be at the premiere of some Harvey Weinstein crapfest, not watching a basketball game. They are worse than people from Philadelphia, who are the seed of lucifer.

And don't bring up the fact that people who I don't wholly despise, e.g. A.C. Green, Shaquille O'Neal, Vlade Divac, used to play for them.

THAT DOESN'T COUNT!

fernandito
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.metaversallyspeaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stop-sippin-haterade.gif

jayson
06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't know that if were Kobe I'd smile until the series were over either. Every hack sports writer is talking about how Kobe's a loser if the Lakers don't win the finals because he never won without Shaq, as if Shaq won those titles all by himself. Sure he won without Kobe when he was with the Heat but can anyone really say that was Shaq's victory and not Dwyane Wade's? I didn't think so. I don't have any love for Kobe as a person because he's a rapist and dickhead, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he does on the court. I'm still rooting for the Magic though.

Ruthful
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
W8, w8, rapist???

jayson
06-10-2009, 01:41 PM
About a month or so ago when the Lakers were playing the Rockets I remember seeing some sports writers on tv discussing the series. One of them said "The Lakers will win because Kobe wants it bad enough and Kobe doesn't take no for an answer." I am sure he didn't realize the obvious second way that statement could be taken but I bet the Colorado police do. :rolleyes:

Ruthful
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Is David Wright really that bad? Because that's all you hear about on sports-talk radio stations over here. Admittedly, I'm not an avid MLB fan, but when I repeated this piece of conventional wisdom to a Mets fan yesterday he erupted, then brandished a newspaper with his batting average, which I think is over .300.

jayson
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Is David Wright really that bad? Because that's all you hear about on sports-talk radio stations over here. Admittedly, I'm not an avid MLB fan, but when I repeated this piece of conventional wisdom to a Mets fan yesterday he erupted, then brandished a newspaper with his batting average, which I think is over .300.

as a mets' fan, let me field that one. not only is david wright not bad, he's the best player on the team, bar none. he is, in my opinion, the best 3rd baseman in the national league (either league really). i think most people's problem with him this year is that he's not hitting for power like he did previously. what they fail to realize, is that citi field is not shea stadium. citi field is the ideal stadium for a national league team, meaning it is not easy to hit a home run. it's not the fucking joke the new yankee stadium is where anyone can check swing one into the upper deck. it's a ballpark built specifically for guys like wright and jose reyes to hit doubles and triples in.

i believe he is currently hitting .324 or so which is pretty fucking good by my estimation. i'll take the guy that hits .324 over the one that hit .290 but a lot of home runs every single time. base hits win championships. home runs win single games here and there.

the other thing that stands out to me about wright is that he plays his ass off game in and game out. no other met does that. not one of them. some guys play hard some days, not others. some never do. wright plays every game like it's game 7 of the world series and that is what i look for in a ball player.

a met fan who doesn't like david wright is a moron.

RUBE
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyone interested in joining TheDarkTower.com fantasy football league? SpaceMan has set up a league and we need a few more participants. Just pm Spaceman your e-mail address and he can send you an invite to join.

Ruthful
07-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Has anyone been following the Michael Vick saga?

This probably belongs in the politics thread, but I honestly don't even remember what sub-forum it's in, and since it tangentially touches upon the NFL I guess I'll stick it here.

Anyway, the thing that pisses me off most about Vick's defenders is the idea that he's entitled to a job, or at least, a job offer, from an NFL franchise. To me this just ties into the skewed, FDR vintage concept that a private corporation or independent business is required to furnish someone with a job, no matter how incompetent or unqualified that person might be. This is the height of imbecility. No one's entitled to a pre-existing job, and new jobs shouldn't be created in order to fulfill some arbitrary political demand created by nitwits who don't understand how the free market works.

jayson
07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
g, i couldn't agree with you more. the notion that vick (or anyone else) "deserves" anything is preposterous. if an nfl team has an interest in michael vick, they will contact his agent and he can follow the same procedure any other free agent does. nobody, especially someone who hasn't set foot on a nfl field in over a year and a half deserves anything handed to them based on what they did in the past. michael vick was once a very skilled player. he may still be. he may not. it's up to each team's personnel staff to decide if they want to find out, nobody else.

Ruthful
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
If I was him I'd give a call to my old coach. I can't imagine that there's anyone in his life right now that even has a clue, or much interest in helping him not destroy whatever part of his career/life he hasn't already fucked up beyond recognition. Dan Reeves is probably the only person who could help him at this point.

Ruthful
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm not one of those fans who castigates Eli unfairly. I recognize the fact that he's the best QB The Giants have had since Simms. He's led them to four consecutive playoff appearances, a Super Bowl win, best record in the NFC, etc., etc., but can we please stop pretending that he's a top 10 NFL QB?

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Carson Palmer
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Donovan McNabb
7. Tony Romo
8. Jay Cutler
9. Phillip Rivers
10. Aaron Rodgers

Where is Eli's name in that list?

jayson
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
i agree completely. eli has accomplished quite a bit, but for him to be the highest paid player in the nfl is preposterous.

also, i know it's only been one season, but i don't think last year was a fluke at all so i'd go ahead and put matt ryan on that list ahead of eli. what he did in atlanta as a rookie is nothing short of spectacular.

SpaceMaN
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
why is romo on that list? or cutler? or palmer?

as far as i know, they've never won anything worth a crap.

i guess statistics wise they're decent, but i thought winning would be worth more than that. the nfl isn't a team game anymore, kinda sad.

Ruthful
08-13-2009, 03:56 AM
I think it should be a factor, but it's not the most important thing in evaluating a QB. If it were, then Trent Dilfer would be considered a better quarterback than Matt Hasselback.

Carson Palmer might be totally shot, but I'm willing to bet that he still has enough in him to be a top 5 QB this season, depending on how much Chad Johnson screws up the offense.

turtlex
08-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Um, I'm not a huge football fan, but I have a question... why is McNabb on that list? He's horrible. He's never lived up to his potential.

<-- currently living near philadelphia and therefore gets to hear all the opinions on McNabb and has been foreced to watch many an Eagles game.

jayson
08-13-2009, 05:38 AM
i have to disagree about mcnabb. that the eagles haven't won a super bowl is not really a measure of mcnabb's failure to achieve his potential.

with mcnabb the eagles won four consecutive nfc division championships (2001-2004), played in five nfc championship games, and made one super bowl appearance.

statistically speaking, mcnabb is...

- the least intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time (4303 attempts-90 interceptions, 2.09%)

- the owner of the third best touchdown to interception ratio of all time (194-90, 2.16)

- the owner of the third highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks (82-45-1, .645) behind peyton manning (117-59-0, .665) and tom brady (87-24-0, .784)

so, you tell me, is mcnabb really horrible, or are the vast majority of eagles' fans a bunch of over critical morons who have no clue what they're talking about? i lived up north long enough to know more than enough of them to know what my answer is to that question. seriously, what more could they want from the guy?

fernandito
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
MEXICO CITY (Aug. 12, 2009) — The U.S. Men’s National Team took its first-ever lead at Estadio Azteca in the ninth minute, but Mexico quickly tied the game before striking for the game-winner in the 82nd minute in front of a sold-out crowd of more than 100,000.

U.S. forward Charlie Davies scored nine minutes into his first FIFA World Cup qualifying start, but Mexico came from behind with a rocket of a goal by Israel Castro in the 19th minute and an 82nd-minute strike from substitute Miguel Sabah.

“It was a tight game and a fair score,” U.S. head coach Bob Bradley said. “It's a tough loss to have so many guys work so hard and then give up a late goal. The feeling inside is one of great disappointment, because the idea that you could still walk away today with a point after everyone gave everything they had is important for any team.

“Overall, our defending was very good. On the other side, I think we could still connect some more passes and hold the ball a little bit better. I think that probably was the area that let us down the most.”

With two of the MatchDay 6 games yet to conclude tonight, the U.S. is still in second place with 10 points from six games, while Mexico has passed Honduras for third place with nine points. Honduras hosts Costa Rica and Trinidad & Tobago hosts El Salvador in the other matches.

Mexico’s win means that the teams have now split their final round qualifying games in each of the last three World Cup cycles. Dating back to 2001, the U.S. has won the home leg 2-0 while losing by one goal on the road for the third consecutive game. The U.S. is still seeking its first road win against Mexico, falling to 0-23-1 including 0-9-1 at Estadio Azteca.

Mexico got the action started in the second minute when Andrés Guardado let a 23-yard shot fly at Tim Howard in the first of seven shots on goal on the day for Mexico.

The only U.S. shot on goal on the day was the Davies tally in the ninth minute, and with the strike he joined Willie Roy, Rick Davis and Eddie Lewis as the only U.S. players to score against Mexico at Estadio Azteca.

The scoring play started with a clearance by Howard that a Mexican defender headed back to Clint Dempsey. Dempsey touched the ball back behind the midfield stripe to Michael Bradley, who took a touch before playing the ball to Donovan. Donovan came back to receive the ball at the front edge of the center circle, and quickly turned inside Guardado and dribbled forward. He looked up and found Davies behind the left side of the Mexico defense. Davies sped in on Guillermo Ochoa’s goal and coolly curved a right footed shot around the Mexico goalkeeper from 16 yards.

The first ever lead against Mexico for the U.S. at Estadio Azteca lasted just 10 minutes, as Castro hit a bomb off the underside of the crossbar in the 19th minute.

Castro tackled the ball away from Donovan in the U.S. defensive half and popped up quickly to play the ball to Guardado. He played the ball to Cuauhtemoc Blanco on the left wing, and Blanco brought the play inside where he drew the attention of both Bradley and Ricardo Clark. Blanco then found Castro wide open 28 yards from goal in the middle of the field. After one touch, he blasted a shot off the underside of the crossbar that bounced across the goal line.

Five minutes later, Mexico nearly went ahead as Giovanni dos Santos played a one-two with Guillermo Franco and shot just wide of the post, but Franco was correctly flagged offside.

For the remainder of the first half, Mexico put on most of the pressure and referee Roberto Moreno from Panama showed the U.S. three yellow cards. Oguchi Onyewu will miss the next U.S. qualifier after a handball in the 27th minute, and two minutes later Jay DeMerit was booked for a late challenge on dos Santos outside the U.S. penalty area that led to a Blanco shot on goal that was saved by Howard. In first half stoppage time, Carlos Bocanegra went into the book for a tackle on dos Santos at midfield.

In the second half after Mexico coach Javier Aguirre replaced Blanco with Carlos Vela in the 56th minute, the U.S. countered by bringing in Benny Feilhaber for Brian Ching and Stuart Holden for Ricardo Clark. For Holden, it was his first career appearance in a FIFA World Cup qualifier.

Each team’s defense continued to stand strong, as they had for much of the first half. Mexico had a pair of chances from dos Santos in the 59th minute. On the first, Guardado crossed to a wide-open dos Santos outside of the far post, and his hard shot was saved by Howard at the near post. On the ensuing corner, the 20 year old again tried to find the near post but his rolling shot was picked up by Howard.

Later, Davies injected himself into the best two chances for the U.S. in the second half. The first came when he was called offside as a pass from Bradley came just as Davies passed the last Mexico defender, and the second coming as he narrowly missed a diving chance as Holden sent in a driven cross from the right wing.

After a Mexico free kick in the 75th minute, Davies went down injured with leg cramps and while on the ground was confronted by Mexico captain Gerardo Torrado. Feilhaber came to Davies’ defense, shoving Torrado away, and both were shown yellow cards as Davies was carted off the field and replaced by Jozy Altidore.

The Mexico game-winner came in the 82nd minute with Mexico switching fields to find Efrain Juárez on the right wing. Donovan gave chase and Juárez passed Bocanegra on the way to the endline, where his pass into the middle deflected off DeMerit attempting a slide tackle and found Sabah. The Mexico substitute, who had come on just three minutes earlier, crushed a shot into the goal over Howard from close range.

Mexico held on down the stretch, with Donovan’s only corner of the second half punched away by Ochoa in the 88th minute.

The final round of qualifying resumes on Sept. 5, when the U.S. hosts El Salvador at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, followed four days later by a trip to play at Trinidad & Tobago.

Ruthful
08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
The sports writers who criticize McNabb don't know what they're talking about. Yeah, he sucked during the first half of the NFC Championship Game, but the reason Philly lost that game was because its defense broke. It wasn't because McNabb didn't come through in the second half. The only time he had a franchise wideout he went to the Super Bowl.

This is why signing Vick is such a stupid move. I can still remember that game against the Ravens when Reid benched McNabb and put in that scrub whose name I can't even recall. Can you imagine what a disaster it'll be if McNabb gets off to a slow start? I think Philadelphia just freaked out because of all the training camp injuries, and overreacted.

McNabb is the best QB Philadelphia has had in the modern era, and will probably be in the HOF once his career is over.

jayson
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
The sports writers who criticize McNabb don't know what they're talking about. Yeah, he sucked during the first half of the NFC Championship Game, but the reason Philly lost that game was because its defense broke. It wasn't because McNabb didn't come through in the second half. The only time he had a franchise wideout he went to the Super Bowl.

This is why signing Vick is such a stupid move. I can still remember that game against the Ravens when Reid benched McNabb and put in that scrub whose name I can't even recall. Can you imagine what a disaster it'll be if McNabb gets off to a slow start? I think Philadelphia just freaked out because of all the training camp injuries, and overreacted.

McNabb is the best QB Philadelphia has had in the modern era, and will probably be in the HOF once his career is over.

i couldn't agree more, with all of this.

philly lost that game because the much-talked-about defense could not make a stop to save its life. the offense started out slow, but made the adjustments it needed to and came out strong in the second half. the defense couldn't do anything. that is why they lost.

i believe the backup you refer to is kevin kolb. if eagles fans are really upset with mcnabb and want to put the franchise in the hands of kevin kolb and michael vick, please send mr mcnabb to tampa immediately. he is exactly what the bucs need to teach rookie josh freeman how to be an nfl quarterback. bucs fans certainly appreciate mcnabb. we've seen him beat this team single handedly more than once.

mcnabb is, without a doubt, a hall of famer. let me restate one of the statistics i cited earlier, because it says everything you need to know about mcnabb.

he is the least intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time.

not active qb...

not in eagles' history...

OF ALL TIME

what that means is that mcnabb is as intelligent a qb as you will find who knows how to read a defense. he does not often throw the ball into a situation which can end in an interception. that is something i treasure in a qb, especially after a season of watching my jets put brett favre out there. :rolleyes:

the eagles are morons for signing vick. this will come back to haunt them as it will only ramp up the hyper-criticism of mcnabb. if they think they will do better with vick, i can't wait to watch and laugh.

Ruthful
08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
The Vick signing is a horrible idea, IMO. The best case scenario is that McNabb stays healthy, and Vick is brought into the offense to bolster their rushing game-maybe on second down rushing plays.

The Eagles have never had a real running game, even when they've had talented runningbacks, e.g. Westbrook. If you could slot Vick into some of those single wing formations it might help them out, but I still think they would have been better off looking for regular backup and third string QBs who are on the market, just in case McNabb goes down.

turtlex
08-14-2009, 02:08 AM
Well... besides not being able to stand Michael Vick ( yeah, just cause of what he did ), there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings around Philly this morning about the Vick signing.

Maybe it was to light a fire under McNabb? I don't know.

Honestly, I've never been impressed with McNabb, except for maybe his first couple of seasons, when he used to scramble and move much more. Now, he seems rather mediocre to me.

jayson
08-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Honestly, I've never been impressed with McNabb, except for maybe his first couple of seasons, when he used to scramble and move much more. Now, he seems rather mediocre to me.

once again, the statistics seem to suggest otherwise.

last season mcnabb...

- threw for more completions than any previous season (passing his previous high by 15 completions)

- had his third highest completion ratio (the highest being 2007, which also suggests he is getting better as time goes on, not worse)

- threw for the most yards in a season in his career

- threw for the third most touchdowns in a season in his career

- led the eagles to score a franchise high 416 points in the season

- led the eagles to, yet another, nfc championship game. a game in which he threw for 375 yards and 3 touchdowns. oh, and he also ran for 31 yards on 2 carries so it sure seems like he can still scramble when he needs to.

and, as ruthful pointed out, mcnabb does this with a core of receivers that is, well, less than stellar.

so, i'm not sure what more mcnabb can do to impress people. if people in philly think the lack of a championship prevents him from being an elite quarterback, perhaps they should look up how many super bowls dan marino won. that guy is considered one of the greatest to ever play the game and yet, no rings for mr. marino.

and yes, i most certainly did just compare donovan mcnabb to dan marino. believe me, as a jets and bucs fan, it pains me to say anything positive about either of them, but objectively, it's hard to deny their greatness.

SpaceMaN
08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Go Chiefs

turtlex
08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
jayson - Well, heck, he sure looks more impressive in your words than I've seen him on the field. Admittedly, I don't watch all the games like the guys I work with do. I guess it's one of those things where - yeah, it's all about the Super Bowl ring. At least here in the Philly area... the grumblings the last couple of years have been all about getting rid of him and bringing in another QB who can step up and win when the championships are on the line.

Oh, and jeeze, but are folks upset about Vick!!! Wow.

jayson
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess it's one of those things where - yeah, it's all about the Super Bowl ring. At least here in the Philly area... the grumblings the last couple of years have been all about getting rid of him and bringing in another QB who can step up and win when the championships are on the line.

i guess my question remains, who do they think can do this?

again, it comes down to a qb not being able to do this himself.

i'm curious as to who eagles fans think will do "better" than mcnabb?

brady has randy moss to throw to.

petyon had marvin harrison and reggie wayne.

mcnabb has nobody, and he still managed three touchdowns and 375 yards in the nfc championship game. he can't play defense, and in that game, neither could the defensive players. one stop in the second half and they'd have gone to the super bowl, again.

the saying is a cliche for a reason, defense wins championships. if the eagles had one that could play, they'd have been in tampa last february.

whatever their problem is, it is clearly not mcnabb and i'd suggest that anyone who says that he is what needs to be changed doesn't understand the game.

Jon
08-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Peyton no longer has Harrison...but your point is taken. I just wonder...has the NFL created too many teams? That is to say, there are only so many "NFL quality" QBs in the world. I just wonder. I have watched Seattle struggle for a QB for many years.

jayson
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Peyton no longer has Harrison...but your point is taken.

that's why i said "had" :P

I just wonder...has the NFL created too many teams? That is to say, there are only so many "NFL quality" QBs in the world. I just wonder. I have watched Seattle struggle for a QB for many years.

i agree with you here jon. i think there are too many teams and the talent pool has become rather watered down. the league claims its objective is "parity" but when parity comes in the form of uniform mediocrity, is that really what we want as fans? i think the league is overdue for contraction instead of further expansion.

as for seattle specifically, injuries aside, you had a quality qb in hasselbeck. look at some of the qb's who have won super bowls and my point about defenses makes itself. guys like trent dilfer and brad johnson won super bowls. neither is ever going to be considered an elite qb, but both of them played on teams with outstanding defenses, and both we competent enough qb's to manage the game on the offensive side of the ball and avoid mistakes which would cost their teams the game.

bringing this conversation full circle, look at eli. i'd say he's better than dilfer or johnson, but i agree with ruthful that eli is not the same calibre qb as his brother. and yet, they've won the same number of championships. eli played well in clutch situations, but what really made that giants team what it was? outstanding defense.

seattle at least showed they understand that in drafting aaron curry instead of a young qb. linebackers like curry don't come along every year. he's the kind of guy you build a defense around. they can get a free agent to replace hasselbeck in a year or two. this year, he should be healthy and he now has one of the league's premier receivers to throw to in t.j. houshmandzadeh. barring injury, i would expect a good season from hasselbeck this year. he'll never be an elite qb, but he doesn't need to be.

turtlex
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
jayson - You bring up a good question, and I'm going to ask the guys at work on Monday. Honestly, they talk a lot about getting a rookie and "bringing him up" so that in a couple of years the Super Bowl will be a done deal. I'm not sure where that comes from - I think they're just tired of being an also-ran, and being disappointed.

Ruthful
08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Peyton no longer has Harrison...but your point is taken. I just wonder...has the NFL created too many teams? That is to say, there are only so many "NFL quality" QBs in the world. I just wonder. I have watched Seattle struggle for a QB for many years.

I think people exaggerate the dearth of quality quarterbacks in this league. There are very few teams that have terrible starting QBs, and for every Minnesota or Oakland there's two or three Atlantas, or Baltimores. So even if there are only a handful of legendary players at that position, e.g. Brady, Manning, the flip side is that there are very few abominable ones.

Compare this to MLB, where you can probably count the number of shutdown starting pitchers on one hand.

jayson
08-15-2009, 06:25 AM
hey denver broncos, regret it yet?

after allowing new head coach josh mcdaniels, a 32 year old with no prior head coaching experience, to come in and unceremoniously run jay cutler out of town, last night began the kyle orton era in denver. orton promptly responded to his new role as starting quarterback by throwing three interceptions.

already the denver fans are clamoring for a look at chris simms. let me tell you something broncos, i watched chris simms start for the bucs a few years ago. if you think he's the answer, you aren't asking the right question.

face it, you blew it. you had a kid with all the upside potential in the world who was getting progressively better each season. you threw it away to attempt a trade for matt cassel, who (a) proved nothing last year as anyone could succeed in new england with that all-star team they have assembled, and (b) who they didn't actually get in denver anyway.

now they've lost cutler and get to watch two guys who are lucky to be backups fight for a starting job. should be a fun year for denver fans. :rolleyes:

Jon
08-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Compare this to MLB, where you can probably count the number of shutdown starting pitchers on one hand.

I had not considered this fact.

I must disagree with any praise for Hasslebeck. He was carried by Alexander and the men on both sides of the line of scrimmage. I think Holmgren just could not see the truth through their friendship. I am concerned that they gave up Peterson though.

Ruthful
08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know. From my perspective, Hasselbeck was a pretty decent starting QB. Definitely better than a lot of the previous SB-winning QBs, e.g. Dilfer, Rypien, Doug Williams, among others. I think the main problem with The Seahawks-other than getting jobbed by the refs-was that so many other parts of their team-especially on defense-were overhyped. Plus, their receiving crew could have used some improvement.

Ruthful
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I would be shocked if the Bears don't win the NFC Central this year, and expect them to make it to the NFC Championship game. Anyone who's buying into this Brett Favre garbage needs to have his or her head examined, IMO.

jayson
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Anyone who's buying into this Brett Favre garbage needs to have his or her head examined, IMO.

i'm glad the jets aren't dealing with that circus again this year. i will admit, it was exciting while he was healthy. truth be told, i am happier with sanchez plus a spectacular running game and a rex ryan defense. i am 15 minutes from getting my first look at the 09 jets, but my expectations for the running game are high. thomas jones has led the afc in rushing before. leon washington is always dangerous, and when the draft was happening, i thought shonn greene a better prospect than moreno or wells (but not donald brown, i knew that kid was awesome, i saw him crush my usf bulls). i am also looking forward to seeing this new defense.

9-7 last year plus rex ryan and some key free agents. i am tentatively hopeful, meaning once again, it's late august and i am jets fan. hope isn't usually gone until week 8. :rolleyes:

oh, and i feel compelled to say

j-e-t-s
jets
jets
jets

Ruthful
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Has Jim Rice jumped the shark?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9972738/Rice-slams-Jeter,-A-Rod-to-Little-Leaguers

I kinda agree with Jason Smith-the sports talk host, not the highly paid NFL player-on this one.

MPatrick
08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Jim Rice is unreal. He tried to take it back, he said he was misquoted. Right.

As for McNabb, as a Giants fan I've always hated him because he is so good. The problem I think is that Eagles fans have had a love/hate relationship with him from the start. The media has never known how to label him. Then TO throws him under the bus about what happened in the Super Bowl.

Eli Manning is not the best QB in the league, never will be. But I find it funny that Giants fans I know were already back to trashing him last year. After he won a SB ring. I know we can break down the near picks in that game, or one of the best catches I've ever seen, but still. He just won!

I was shocked when I heard that they picked up Vick. Why? If you want to start over, then draft or trade for someone younger. When you add in half a season gone, and the PR nightmare, I really don't get it. It's not like the fans were thrilled either...

Ruthful
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, that's why I can't comprehend some of the people who keep saying that Vick is being groomed to replace McNabb. To me, it makes absolutely no sense to bring in a QB who's about the same age, but who isn't nearly as good. Granted, he probably has less wear and tear than McNabb does at this point, but how does that compensate for the downsides, the chief one being that he's not as good as the guy he's replacing? When Philadelphia gets rid of players it's usually after it determines that the cost of paying them outweighs their contributions on the field, e.g. Dawkins, Joyner, etc., not when they're still vital to the franchise's success.

MPatrick
08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Exactly! I do wonder how much Reid's son played into him wanting to help Vick. I did hear that Reid wanted him...

Seriously though, Vick had the reputation as a game changer, but the stats don't really back that up. Maybe in a Madden game...

jayson
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
this right here is a perfect example of why i am opposed to the "guaranteed money" portion of contracts offered to many football players.

bengals' andre smith breaks foot (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hWOfHoFBvqkix5IT3jMtQ_hxoJvgD9AEP06G1)

just yesterday, the bengals signed smith to a four year deal with $21 million in guaranteed money. one day later he breaks his foot. now, it is not a season-ending injury but it is widely known that injuries to the feet can be devastating to offensive linemen. often one leads to further injuries down the line for a position that is extremely grueling on the body.

there was no guarantee smith was ever going to be a top caliber player. there are no guarantees about anyone. now he's facing his first injury rehab before he ever plays a single down in a real game.

it is possible that smith will never set foot (injured or otherwise) on an nfl field during a game, and yet he still gets $21 million?

and still, people wonder why leon washington is pissed off that the jets only pay him $500,000/season when he's one of the most explosive offensive talents in the afc.

Ruthful
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
On the other hand, there is all that money that's not guaranteed, e.g. Eli Manning's 100 million dollar contract, which was more like 40 million. Trust me, if the management of The Knicks could have walked away from Marbury's contract by paying him half of his contract he would have been gone a few seasons ago. Donnie Walsh would love to be able to work the NFL's rules.

The contracts being paid to rookies have to be renegotiated though, I don't think anyone is arguing over that.

jayson
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
all of it is why i think the sport with the most reasonable pay system is golf. you want money? win.

Ruthful
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Golf is ridiculous though. I checked out the money leaders on the Web once, and found out that the top 100 players on the PGA tour make at least two million dollars. I guarantee you that the fiftieth best defensive lineman or wideout in the NFL isn't making two million dollars a year.

jayson
09-01-2009, 08:03 PM
well, if you think about it, are we comparing the earnings of the fiftieth best golfer to the fiftieth best wide receiver (or lineman) or to the fiftieth best player overall in the nfl?

if it's the latter, i tend to think that yes, the fiftieth best player in the nfl probably does make $2 mil per year, perhaps more. with the number of teams, that 50th ranked player is the 2nd best player on his team. i think i might have just proved and disproved my point simultaneously. :rolleyes:

of course with golf we are dealing with different pools of prize money every week based on who is sponsoring each individual tournament as opposed to the nfl with a capped total salary for each team.

it's really just the principle of the golf pay system i appreciate. those that succeed make the most money. it may not be perfect, but it's the best merit-based compensation system i can find in sports.

so to sum up

i don't know

mystima
09-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Mighty Morphin Power Ranger morphs into an MMA fighter

Jason David Frank, who was once a Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger, is now trying to use his super powers to turn into a mixed martial artist.

The former action star from the hit series "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" has officially made the move to mixed martial arts, and while training with UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard, he hopes to make his real fighting experience as successful as he did on television.

Frank is hoping to fight as soon as possible.

"I was supposed to fight in 2007, but it fell through. In truth, I've wanted to put the work in until I'm ready," Frank said in an interview from the Suckerpunch website. "I know I have a target on my back. Everyone is going to want to beat up the Green Ranger."

And this is the moment where I weep for MMA.

Frank may just turn into a great fighter, though it's doubtful considering that he is 35 and worried about signing a management team before trying to schedule a fight. But this just furthers the notion that MMA is a fad, and can be used as a publicity stunt for someone with a flailing career. Considering that Frank's last acting job was a 2007 direct-to-video film called, "The Junior Defenders," he clearly needs a career boost.

At the same time, the beauty of MMA is that there is no hiding in the cage. When pretenders have tried it out in the past, they've been shown the floor of the cage, very quickly. Right, Jose Canseco?

Ruthful
09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Going to my first NFL game on Sunday, and am pretty psyched about it.

Even if New York loses, at least I'll be able to say I went to the old Giants Stadium before they close shop.

jayson
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Going to my first NFL game on Sunday, and am pretty psyched about it.

Even if New York loses, at least I'll be able to say I went to the old Giants Stadium before they close shop.

i have so many memories of that place.

we had season tickets to the comsos in pele's last year and for the next few after. we had jets tickets. we had generals tickets. i saw so many concerts there. that place both sucks and rocks at the same time.

enjoy it g.

giants stadium is one of a kind.

Ruthful
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
The Cosmos? That is old school.

It should be interesting, because the only context I have to judge it against is high school football. Watching the top professional players square off against each other should be entertaining.

mystima
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
this story just irked the heck out of me...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Semenya-withdraws-from-race-amidst-reports-she-s?urn=oly,188930

to think that its a condition that just needs treatment is appalling :pullhair:

jayson
09-20-2009, 07:24 AM
in honor of today's home opener against the patriots, i feel compelled to say...

go gang green

this will be a better predictor of the jets future success than last week. not that i was not extremely pleased with the way they handled houston on both sides of the ball, but houston is not new england. if a team has any aspirations of achieving anything in the afc, they have to be able to beat new england. today we'll see how the rex ryan jets stack up. all i can say is that i have not seen a jets defense so focused on the pass rush in decades and that is a very promising prospect.

j-e-t-s, etc

jayson
09-26-2009, 11:34 AM
it's a final

#18 florida state - 7
univ. of south florida - 17

i had held off on posting in this thread the last three weeks because wins over wofford, western kentucky and charleston southern are not precisely accomplishments worthy of bragging.

however, today the unranked usf bulls went to tallahassee and took it to florida state, shutting down their offense almost entirely.

the bulls offense looked better than i'd expected a week after the injury loss of senior qb matt grothe (the big east's all time leading scorer). today they started true freshman qb b.j. daniels and the kid (mostly) looked comfortable and ready to go.

still, it was the defense that led the way today.

this is, without a doubt, the biggest win in the history of this program. this was the first ever matchup against fsu, and most thought it would be years before we were able to even compete with the seminoles, let alone beat them.

for an 11 year old program to take out a ranked fsu team in tallahassee, will go a long long way towards changing the face of recruiting the top prospects, both in florida and nationally.

go bulls!

(yes, someone is very proud of his alma mater today)

now let's hope they can use this win as momentum to hit the ground running entering big east conference play next week. playing pitt, rutgers and uconn all on the road will not be easy. louisville and cincinnati we get at home but those will both be extremely tough games. and then, the biggest test of all, even more than today. november 28, for the first time in usf history, we take on the university of miami hurricanes who appear to have risen from the ashes.

i am not counting chickens early, but i cannot tell you how happy it would make me to see my bulls play spoiler to the hurricane's hopes at a title.

jayson
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM
i am so glad the jets decided to wear their throwback new york titans jerseys this week and forced the so-called "titans" to dress in their oilers uniforms.

it's of no significance to the game, but i like the statement it makes that the team that moved from houston to tennessee can call itself whatever it wants, but they are not the titans.

i still don't understand why the league let them have that name.

jayson
09-27-2009, 12:11 PM
it's a final...

tennessee "titans" - 17
new york jets - 24

the rex ryan jets have now opened the season 3-0

for all the non-believers and the new york haters

allow me to be the first to say...

j-e-t-s

this team is for real

learn to love it

Myste
10-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Sports... Yeah! I like to watch and keep my track on many kinds of sports including: ice-hockey (mainly NHL and finnish league and WC), football... (err, socker for some, mainly british and finnish leagues and WC@EC competitions), winter sports (yeah... I'm a finn after all), bigger events of summer sports and Formula 1.
Anyway, my biggest loves in sports are ice-hockey and football...

jayson
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
welcome Myste

it's always good to have another hockey fan.

:)

fernandito
10-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Myste - what are your favorite football/soccer teams? :)

Myste
10-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Thankee jayson :)

feverishparede: my favorite's are FC Lahti (my hometown group), Finland national team. Outside Finland Liverpool has always been kinda fav for me in England (too bad that they let Hyypiä go). And Ajax in Holland. Oh yes... since it has been so difficult for Finland to get in the bigger comptetitions I have been hailing for Netherlands since I was little boy... Don't know why, but it just have always been like that...

And for hockey... it's obvious that I support Finland's national team and my hometown's team. In NHL I pretty much support all those team's that have finnish players in their line-up. So nowadays it's pretty much every team. Ducks especially this season ---> Koivu + Selänne.

Ruthful
10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
i am so glad the jets decided to wear their throwback new york titans jerseys this week and forced the so-called "titans" to dress in their oilers uniforms.

it's of no significance to the game, but i like the statement it makes that the team that moved from houston to tennessee can call itself whatever it wants, but they are not the titans.

i still don't understand why the league let them have that name.

It could be worse. They could have kept the same name, e.g. The Colts, The Cardinals, The Dodgers, etc... To me, that's even worse.

The one thing I'll say is that the throwback uniforms for The Jets are absolutely hideous. I remember seeing a guy wearing one of them at the Super Bowl party in the bar where I was watching The Giants and The Pats in 2008, and for the first two hours of the game I thought he was a Rams fan.

mystima
10-09-2009, 05:27 AM
this is a cool story even though it is from a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fw1CcxCUgg

Jon
10-09-2009, 05:32 AM
The one thing I'll say is that the throwback uniforms for The Jets are absolutely hideous. I remember seeing a guy wearing one of them at the Super Bowl party in the bar where I was watching The Giants and The Pats in 2008, and for the first two hours of the game I thought he was a Rams fan.

LOL...I thought the same when I first saw them!

jayson
10-11-2009, 07:41 AM

LOL...I thought the same when I first saw them!

i'm not saying the new york titans uniforms are appealing, but really jon? a seattle seahawks fan is going to make fun of the jets uniforms after his team took the field in flourescent green?

:D

those hawks uniforms are not fit for the old "world league of american football" let alone the nfl. maybe they bought them discount from vince mcmahon's old "XFL" :P

and g, i can't make fun of the giants too much, but as a jets fan it is my obligation to try. no "throwbacks" really for the giants as they've been wearing essentially the same uniform since fred flintstone used to be the quarterback (by whom i mean frank gifford).

i will say this though, in all the years the giants have worn those uniforms, they still can't figure out that the blue of their helmets and blue of their jerseys are two different shades? :orely:

Ruthful
10-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Why do these jughead NFL commentators/sports talk hosts keep labeling Miami's offensive scheme a "gimmick offense."

When The Eagles run the wild cat or the single wing it's a gimmick offense, when it's part of your playbook, and gains hundreds of yards each game, it's by definition not a gimmick.

jayson
10-16-2009, 08:26 AM
well, i'm not sure whether or not it's a gimmick offense is relative to the individual team or to the sport overall.

really, anything that's not the traditional qb under center is a gimmick offense. anything from shotgun to the wildcat would fall into the definition.

it doesn't have to have a negative connotation, though whether miami makes it work or not, i find the wildcat to be a joke.

there but for poor tackling on the part of the jets defense, rex ryan showed yet again how to stop it. the defenders were in the right place, they just failed to execute. it was pitiful.

but still, the wildcat is not as magical as the dolphins make it seem.

i see college defenses stop it every single saturday.

Ruthful
10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
But it is effective. My point is that if this was such an easy scheme to defeat, then the rest of the league would have found a way to defend against it by now, but they haven't.

It's like saying that the blitzing schemes devised by the late Jim Johnson were gimmicks. If they were, then they wouldn't have been as effective as they were, and the Eagles would have dropped them from their playbook.

Until their opponents figure out a way to consistently thwart the wildcat, I don't think you can say that it's one-off, unprofessional trickery.

jayson
11-29-2009, 04:48 PM
someone remind me what it was all the doubters and haters had to doubt and hate about vince young

all the guy does is win football games

"he'll never be a pocket passer" they said

that 99 yard game winning drive today sure looked to me to feature a whole lot of passing out of the pocket

i'd buy the explanation that people questioned vince after his alleged emotional meltdown last year when he was replaced by kerry collins, but he had every right to be upset about it as he lost his job to injury not to poor play, and moreover, young's critics were out there long before that.

all i know is that jeff fisher looks like a moron right now. he benched young in favour of kerry collins and had to be overruled by the team owner, who now looks like a genius because all the titans have done since giving vince back the starting job is win every game they've played.

i'll be the first to admit, i have a bias towards players from colleges associated with my family, but texas or no texas, vince young is now and always has been a winner.

oh and btw, the jets finally won another game. yay!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I picked the Titans for most of the first 6 or 7 games, all losses. Then I got frustrated and said that no matter what I wasnt going to pick the Titans again this season. Then the restarted Young and have won every game afterwards. Bottom line, the Titans are going to cost me at least 12-13 picks this year.

jayson
11-29-2009, 07:13 PM
well, you can always start picking them again.

it's not as if you swore a blood oath to the gods that you'd never pick them again (did you? :P)

obviously they won't win every game left on their schedule, but i tend to think they will win more than they will lose.

they are a far different team with young than they are with collins, and they have the most dominant running back in the afc.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Yes, but if I pick them, they will lose. It is Ka.

fernandito
11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Er ... anybody else watch the Barcelona vs Real Madrid match? :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
God hates soccer:P

Tito_Villa
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Well i do im a Derby County fan!

fernandito
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
My English Premier team has always been Arsenal, I love their style of play, and the fact that they rely mainly on youngsters. It would be nice if we made at least 1 or 2 big signings come off season though !

Tito_Villa
12-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Derby county are 1 of the best suported teams in England, especially with the size of the city of Derby and this is amazing because we have had some terrible seasons in the last 10 years.

When we were in the premiership 3 years ago we were the worst team ever lol finishing with the lowest points ever! But i could never change to suporting someone else, Derby county are in my blood!

fernandito
12-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Who do you think is taking the trophy this year? Chelsea looks to be primary candidate, especially with Drogba and Anelka playing the way they are, but you can never rule Man-U out !

P.S - Did you know that Tito Villa is playing in Mexico again? He finished the regular season as top scorer :)

Tito_Villa
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Well its definately between Chelsea and Man U, but if i was a betting man i would put my money on Chelsea everytime. Did you see the game against Arsenal on Sunday? The experience, pace, skill and sheer power of Chelsea should frighten most teams in the league and they should be clear winners. Can see the Champions league being between Chelsea and Barcelona aswell.

Yeah i knew he had moved to Mexico, was gutted when he left because he is a great player with bags of passion and he was never really given a chance at Derby. I didn't know that he was top scorer though, am really happy for him.

Tito_Villa
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Anyone else watching the world cup draw??? Endland v U.S.A which will be an interesting first game!

fernandito
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I was listening to it on the radio here at work :D

I'm thinking of starting a World Cup thread and posting the groups in there ... hmmm :orely:

Tito_Villa
12-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah do it :dance:

Ruthful
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
This is for you, Urban Meyer:

http://sundaynonsports.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/saban2.jpg

ROLL TIDE!

<ô> bango skank <ô>
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone else watching the world cup draw??? Endland v U.S.A which will be an interesting first game!

Interesting??? no, an easy 3 points... yes. England will rip usa to bits. cant wait!!!

Yanks may lead the world in alot of areas but football (soccer) aint one of them.

Ruthful
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey, we kicked your asses forty years ago, approximately-or so Hollywood tells me-so don't think we won't do it again, Albion.

:cool:

If I watched or knew anything about who actually played for England's soccer team, rest assured I'd be making many gibes at their expense.

:P

Ruthful
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Putting aside the general circus that's the contemporary Dallas Cowboys, e.g. T.O., 'Tank' Johnson, Adam Jones, among others, I still think Flozell Adams-with all due respect-is the sleaziest pile of scum ever to suit up for the Texas Tampons.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
you must know of beckham... he's that bloke who's married to that skinny woman, whos famous in america for being married to that bloke who's famous in the UK for being beckham.

Anyway, aim insults at him... it's like fishing with TNT. (just dont insult his ability at football , cos he is a legend)

and Arsenal will win the league. i still believe. Van persie is a huge miss but if we can scrape wins until the jan window, then get some cover we are set.just when the gunners were looking good van persie fails again and joins the rest of the arsenal strike force in the stands. (Bendtner, Eduardo, Theo Walcott and others) Van persie is shaping up to be just like mick owen, a great talent, that will never reach its full potential due to repeated injury. its sad.

Tito_Villa
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I think you should all feel sorry for Derby County, we actually played well for once and against possibly the best team in the championship but Thierry Henry's friend Simon Cox pushed the ball in to the net :pullhair:

Tito_Villa
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
OMG my football team has actually won a game away, can't believe it!!! :excited:

fernandito
12-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Messi is out for a minimum of 3 weeks due to an ankle injury ... :cry:

Jon
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
New England Patriot fans; do NOT watch.

YouTube- You Cheated - New York Post

Ruthful
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks the Pats have no shot-even in their building-of beating the Ravens? Maybe I'm off, but out of all the match-ups this week that one seems the most lopsided.

Look at the Pats:

1. No Welker
2. Moss has basically quit on the team, i.e. returned to form.
3. Brady still hasn't recovered from his devastating injury. Plus, he has a busted-up thumb, and broken ribs.
4. Their defense is Swiss cheese

Compare that to their opponent, the Ravens:

1. Extremely good, if not spectacular, defense that is a huge scoring threat.
2. Have a fantastic QB who can lead them to victory from behind.
3. Ray Rice.

Telynn
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-in-haunted-hotel-?urn=nba,213326

Too funny. I walk right by that hotel almost every day. Ate dinner there not too long ago (wonderful meal!)

Jon
01-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks the Pats have no shot-even in their building-of beating the Ravens? Maybe I'm off, but out of all the match-ups this week that one seems the most lopsided.

Look at the Pats:

1. No Welker
2. Moss has basically quit on the team, i.e. returned to form.
3. Brady still hasn't recovered from his devastating injury. Plus, he has a busted-up thumb, and broken ribs.
4. Their defense is Swiss cheese

Compare that to their opponent, the Ravens:

1. Extremely good, if not spectacular, defense that is a huge scoring threat.
2. Have a fantastic QB who can lead them to victory from behind.
3. Ray Rice.

I agree with you; but not quite to your extremes.

Ruthful
02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
I've completely revised my opinion of Manning's legacy after last night's Super Bowl. Used to think he was indisputably the best QB in NFL history, but no longer. There's no way you can say he's superior to Montana after yesterday's fiasco. NO WAY!

Spencer
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I never thought Manning belonged in the discussion with Unitas, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Marino, Aikman, Favre, and those guys at the "All Time" level. Not yet anyway. Last night just validated that.

P.S., When you lift your leg and piss on NFL history, as the Colts did in week 15, the football gods will get you.

Ruthful
02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I still consider him one of the best QBs of all-time, but his reputation took an irreparable hit last night. Maybe he'll change that in the years to come, by winning two or three more Super Bowls, but right now I don't even think it's a debate between his legacy and Montana's. And I totally agree with you about them lying down to The Jets.

Spencer
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM
What really frosted me was Bill Polian saying that the Colts were only concerned about "real" historic records, which in his opinion were most wins in a decade, (which is broken almost every decade), and most regular season wins in a row of all time, (which, if the Chargers start hot, could be broken THIS year.). Just ridiculous.

Ruthful
02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the philosophy espoused by Polian and Irsay stinks, and I can't believe there are still people defending it, even after what happened last night. Every great football leader, whether it's Walsh and Montana, or the Rooneys, or Landry and Staubach, plays to win every game.

That's the main problem I have with the way the Colts are run, e.g. that pathetic three and out at the end of the 1st half. You have Peyton Manning, and you don't throw it once?!

turtlex
02-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Space-age trimaran wins back America's Cup for US
By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

VALENCIA, Spain – After one of the most tumultuous periods in its 159-year run, the America's Cup, once again, belongs to America.

Still bundled against the cold in his white foul-weather gear, software tycoon Larry Ellison hoisted the America's Cup high in the air, then planted a kiss on the oldest trophy in international sports.

"Valencia — muchas gracias!" the self-made billionaire screamed, following the ride of his life across the Mediterranean on one of the most remarkable boats ever built.

The Cup was swept away from Europe by Ellison's space-age trimaran, which has a gigantic wing for a sail and easily sped ahead of two-time defending champion Alinghi of Switzerland to complete a two-race sweep in the 33rd America's Cup on Sunday.

"I am so proud of this team, I am so proud to be part of this team, and I am especially proud to bring the America's Cup, once again, after a long absence, back to the United States of America," said the 65-year-old Ellison, the CEO of Oracle Corp.

The Auld Mug, as the ornate silver jug is also known, now belongs to San Francisco's Golden Gate Yacht Club.

BMW Oracle Racing CEO Russell Coutts, who has quite a bit of experience at winning the America's Cup, popped the cork on a magnum of champagne and sprayed his boss, as well as tactician John Kostecki and skipper-helmsman Jimmy Spithill of Australia.

A blizzard of blue and silver confetti blew across the stage and fireworks went off across Port America's Cup, a festive ending to a bitter 2 1/2-year period that dragged sailing's marquee event to one of its lowest points.

Ellison and rival Ernesto Bertarelli — two of the world's wealthiest men — had been locked in a court fight since July 2007, and it looked for a while like the result of this race was going to be contested off the water.

Alinghi raised a red protest flag on its giant catamaran late on the first leg of the triangle course during Race 2, leaving everyone wondering what it was about since there's no communication off the boats.

The Swiss dropped the protest after the race, confirming Ellison's win. They were unhappy about a prestart penalty, but decided it wouldn't have an outcome on the race.

Asked if the Americans planned to drop litigation pending against the Swiss in the New York State Supreme Court, Ellison said: "The only thing we ever wanted was to beat Alinghi on the water with a fair set of rules. And that's what we got today."

Bertarelli wasn't at the handover ceremony, but he and Ellison briefly shook hands when the Swiss exited the post-race news conference.

The biotech mogul became the first European to win the America's Cup in 2003 with a victory over Team New Zealand, and defended it against the Kiwis in 2007.

"Congratulations to the BMW Oracle team, their boat was faster," Bertarelli said. "They had a strategy, they got a little help from the legal system in New York and that always makes it difficult for us Europeans and that gave them advantages.

"They were faster, good on them," he continued. "We didn't have a boat that was quite fast enough. We didn't lay down. We fought as hard as we could and we exit with our head high."

The America's Cup has been away from U.S. shores for 15 years, the longest drought since the schooner America won the silver trophy by beating a fleet of British ships around the Isle of Wight in 1851. Dennis Conner lost it in 1995 to Team New Zealand and Coutts, now a four-time America's Cup winner.

Ellison and Kostecki were the only Americans on BMW Oracle's crew for the clincher. The massive sailboat was steered by Spithill, who at age 30 was sailing in his fourth America's Cup.

"The boys are just absolutely lit up," Spithill said as the boat headed into port in the Valencian dusk. "Larry's stoked, Russell's stoked and we just can't wait to get back to shore to celebrate."

While Ellison's fortune made the victory possible, the true star was his monster black-and-white trimaran and its radical 223-foot wing sail, which powered the craft at three times the speed of the wind, sending its windward and middle hulls flying well above the water. The wing has nine flaps on its trailing edge and allowed the yacht to sail closer to the wind, and therefore faster than the Swiss.

When the yacht hooked into a breeze, it seemed as if Spithill jammed down an accelerator.

One of the lasting images of this America's Cup will be that of Spithill, decked out in technology seemingly straight out of Star Wars, calmly steering from his airborne helm as the boat sped along the Spanish coast.

"It's just such an awesome tool for racing," Spithill said.

The American trimaran took a 28-second lead rounding the first mark Sunday and powered toward the horizon while sailing across the wind on the second leg. The final margin for two of the fastest, most technologically advanced sailboats built was 5 minutes, 25 seconds.

"That was one hell of a boat race," Spithill said. "I enjoyed every minute of it."

Alinghi had to do a 270-degree penalty at the finish, the result of its second prestart blunder in as many races. The Swiss boat was in the starting box before the 5-minute gun sounded, giving BMW Oracle an instant boost.

While the Americans headed out to the left side of the course, Alinghi did a downspeed tack and took the right side. The move paid off when the Swiss gained during a wind shift and powered into the lead about a third of the way up the leg.

Alinghi crossed ahead of BMW Oracle approaching the first mark, but lost speed during a tack and the Americans sailed ahead — and never looked back.

Ellison joins Harold Vanderbilt, Ted Turner and Bill Koch among the tycoons who've hoisted the silver trophy.

Ellison and Bertarelli fought over their interpretations of the 1887 Deed of Gift, which governs the America's Cup. Ellison's syndicate eventually prevailed, forcing the rare head-to-head showdown.

This was only the second Deed of Gift match in modern times. The other was in 1988, when Conner steered his catamaran to a two-race sweep of New Zealand's big monohull in San Diego.

The America's Cup likely will return to its normal system of several challengers competing in sloops for the right to face the defender. Ellison confirmed, in a roundabout way, that Italian syndicate Mascalzone Latino will be the next Challenger of Record, helping to set the rules for the 34th America's Cup.

The ornate trophy itself is headed for the Golden Gate Yacht Club, which sits on a public jetty in the heart of San Francisco's cityfront, with views of one of the world's most famous bridges and Alcatraz Island.

Rough estimates are that each side spent $200 million on their entire campaigns, a staggering cost for two races.

When did Bertarelli know the Cup was lost?

"The first race," he said. "The first beat. I was very surprised by the first 20 minutes of the race. We were out of range most of the time. We were surprised."

turtlex comments - I can't believe I missed these races... I guess with all the Olympic and Super Bowl hub-bub, it wasn't on my radar. And I never saw a race advertised on any of the sports channels. Bummer. I love watching America's Cup Racing.

Tito_Villa
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Wow a week next monday Brazil are coming to play Ukraine at my clubs ground Pride Park, i mean you don't get many chances to see Brazil play im very excited! :excited:

Oh and i thought i might mention that my club, Derby County, this season signed an eighteen year old American called Conor Doyle who looks good for a place in your national team in the future! We got him from a University team in Texas i think!

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I never thought Manning belonged in the discussion with Unitas, Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, Marino, Aikman, Favre, and those guys at the "All Time" level. Not yet anyway. Last night just validated that.

P.S., When you lift your leg and piss on NFL history, as the Colts did in week 15, the football gods will get you.

I'm a firm believer in there's no greatest of all time. Its subjective whether you go by stats, rings, or whatever. Its all subjective and a fight that will never end.

Manning is the smartest and most gifted QB (all in my opinion because like I said its subjective) on th field. He's going to be an outstanding coach when his career is over. I think he's hampered by his perfectionism and his PUSSY organization. Them not trying to win every game last year an their pussy behavior lost them the SB and my respect (and my husbands) for a team we would always root for. Caldwell and the upper management should be ashamed of themselves

fernandito
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow a week next monday Brazil are coming to play Ukraine at my clubs ground Pride Park, i mean you don't get many chances to see Brazil play im very excited! :excited:

Nice ! Any chance of you posting pictures ?

Ben Staad
09-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Did anyone else watch The Michigan Wolverines v. Notre Dame Fighting Irish last night! It was an epic game with the Wolverines scoring 28 points in the 4th quarter to beat ND 35 to 31. Hail to the victors!

Merlin1958
09-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Did anyone else watch The Michigan Wolverines v. Notre Dame Fighting Irish last night! It was an epic game with the Wolverines scoring 28 points in the 4th quarter to beat ND 35 to 31. Hail to the victors!

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

RUBE
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
It seems that every football team that I choose to root for is destined to beat the little guys, build up expectations, get a big lead against the good competition, then choke in the end and lose anyway. Damnit!

Ben Staad
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I probably can't make it through the whole game but GO BLUE!!!

mystima
01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
This story just made my day....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/awwww-read-seven-old-heart-melting-letter-kyle-214810120.html

Garrell
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
My Alabama Crimson Tides' recent success keeps getting in the way of my SK collection funds. I collect Bama players and a few coaches sigs. Looks like I got about four to seven to buy this year when the card market starts up with the new rookies. Had 4 last year. Used to be only 1 or 2 years back.

Xile
03-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Wonder where Tebow's going to go? He's trade meat. Peyton is such a fucking sellout. Now Denver has to rebuild their entire offense again. WINNING!

RUBE
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Why is Peyton a sell-out? He didn't choose to leave Indianapolis. He was shown the door. You had to expect him to sign with someone. Who would he have signed with that would have not made him a "sell-out" in your opinion?

Merlin1958
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Why is Peyton a sell-out? He didn't choose to leave Indianapolis. He was shown the door. You had to expect him to sign with someone. Who would he have signed with that would have not made him a "sell-out" in your opinion?

Really!!!! The Colts "sold him out" for A. Luck. Not a bad business move, but Peyton certainly did nothing wrong. Man's gotta feed his family!!! Albeit filet mignon rather than chop-meat, but still!!!!

The Road Virus
03-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Just read the top post on this page and it made me sick. P. Manning is the best QB of all-time, check the stats bro, and he's not even done. He's one of few to even reach 2/3's of Farve's iron-man record, he will have the TD record by the time he requires, and no one in the history of the game has been able to read defenses like him (except for Brady in the 2nd half of games when he already knew what the defense was running from stealing signals prior to SpyGate, and even then he wasn't as good/accurate of a passer). Manning had that team on his shoulders for his entire career, he made Harrison the H-O-Fer he is and aside from Wayne they have never put any real kind of talent of his side of the ball and at best the D was 2 or 3 all-stars and trash rest year in and year out. Not only that but you can't be a sell-out if Management wants to make way for the future and thinks Luck will do anything with that team. I'm not denying he doesn't have potential but no way he gets that team and produces a winning season even for the first couple years. I was a fan of Manning since junior high and was going to support whichever team he decided to go to. I was just glad it was going to be AFC so GO Bears GO Broncos

Xile
03-21-2012, 04:19 PM

San Francisco. The only team he could have probably won a super-bowl with before retiring. He obviously doesn't care about that though. Seems he's just concerned about the Benjamins which sucks. Manning is already the highest paid QB of all time before choosing the 94mil for a five year contract. He didn't "need" it. His entire speech about choosing the Broncs due to the reputation and John Elway was trash. He had $ signs in his eyes.

I'm not a SF fan but still why else would he have chosen the Broncs over the Niners when he could have had a superstar line, amazing receivers, and one of the best defenses in the NFC? If you're arguing that his decision wasn't based upon the dollars, then what else was it?

RUBE
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
You're right that the 49ers have the better team but we don't know that money is what made up his mind. Maybe it is because Peyton is more of a smaller market kind of guy. Denver is much closer to the same kind of city as Indianapolis than San Francisco is. Or maybe he didn't think that Harbough was going to let him run the offense like he wanted and he thought he would get that freedom in Denver. Maybe he just liked Elway better that the San Francisco management. I don't know. And neither do you.

Xile
03-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Regarding his age, those options seem trivial stacked against 20 million a year. Peyton will be Peyton again but it won't be for five years.

The Road Virus
03-23-2012, 05:15 AM
First of all, he can and will win AT LEAST one more ring in DEN. Second off, I agree that SF has a better team but that fact alone does not mean he went just for the money. Peyton wants control and to run an offense how he sees fit; that would not fit in to Harbaugh's culture. DEN's D is respectable and miles above any D he had in IND. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Peyton wanted to stay in the AFC- so there's just a few reasons why it wasn't all about the $. Don't hate b/c athletes make obscene amounts of money and the best ones with good business sense get paid off (Don't hate the player, hate the game essentially). He's the best QB in the league and deserves the biggest paycheck, especially over an overrated cheater like Brady.

Mattrick
03-25-2012, 08:15 AM
My Ottawa Senators will be n the NHL playoffs so that is fantastic!

Stockerlone
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
UEFA Euro 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg/200px-UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg.png

fernandito
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Best of luck to you and yours, Stockerlone! Germany always has great teams.

Stockerlone
06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Euro 2012

Groups & Schedule
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/european-championship/2012/groups-schedule

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/30/sport/football/football-euro-2012-squads/index.html

Ruthful
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, this certainly blows:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/07/giants_terrell_thomas_suffers.html

The Road Virus
08-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Team USA basketball team is definitely the nightmare team. I thought Kobe's comments- I hate him so anything will be shaded bad regardless- about being better than the Dream Team was ridiculous but the team is backing it up with it's play and Lebron backed his words up to; bottom line I do think they would beat the Dream Team regardless of the best player- Jordan- being on the team. 92 was before Jordan's prime, most other legends were closing out their careers on that team, and the only player that may eclipse Jordan- Lebron - is in his prime. They don't even need him and Kobe to demolish other teams. I think it would still be near a coin-flip for a single game but the edge may go to the 2012 squad- they just need to close it out.

Garrell
08-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Team USA basketball team is definitely the nightmare team. I thought Kobe's comments- I hate him so anything will be shaded bad regardless- about being better than the Dream Team was ridiculous but the team is backing it up with it's play and Lebron backed his words up to; bottom line I do think they would beat the Dream Team regardless of the best player- Jordan- being on the team. 92 was before Jordan's prime, most other legends were closing out their careers on that team, and the only player that may eclipse Jordan- Lebron - is in his prime. They don't even need him and Kobe to demolish other teams. I think it would still be near a coin-flip for a single game but the edge may go to the 2012 squad- they just need to close it out.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 HOFers vs. 5 to 7 HOFers, really?
Oh and 3 of those 11 are considered the best ever(in the top 10).
Harden and a couple others rank where? Be real!

Merlin1958
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 HOFers vs. 5 to 7 HOFers, really?
Oh and 3 of those 11 are considered the best ever(in the top 10).
Harden and a couple others rank where? Be real!

Could not agree more!!!! Please!!!! There is, and never has been a "Dream Team" since THE Dream Team!!!!!!!

LeBron? Come back and talk to me when he has 6 WC's. Plus. I'm a Knicks fan for the love of God and though I hate Jordan's ass, I respect the living fuck out of him!!!!

fernandito
08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Comparing Jordan to Lebron. Wow. Thanks TRV, I needed a good laugh.