PDA

View Full Version : He is Legend (w/ "Throttle" by King & Hill) - Gauntlet Press

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Randall Flagg
04-18-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm not worried about it, but I am looking forward to it.

carlosdetweiller
04-18-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm not worried about it, but I am looking forward to it.

I am still waiting on mine too. I did, however, get one of the PC copies he was selling and I have received that. It's nothing to get too excited about, IMO.

Pasiuk57
04-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I just received my trade edition. Signed Limited #351 and Lettered "P" today. They arrived in perfect shape also.

Randall Flagg
04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Besides the lettering and the traycase, are there any other differences between the S/l and the Lettered?

BigCoffinHunter
04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
So, I finally got my Lettered and Numbered copies of He is Legend. Everyone's pretty well discussed the Numbered, so in my opinion how does the Lettered stack up? Drum-roll please...

Meh...

The Trayase is actually a clamshell, sort of like for Insomnia (this fits together better) made out of the same material as the slipcase for the numbered and roughly the same size with the same shape. It has gold lettering on the outside with the title, editor, and Gauntlet insignia. Worth mentioning is the fact that it has satin ribbon strands attached to both ends to tie it shut and came tied in a bow, which I thought was sort of funny.

As far as the book itself is concerned, it is bound in leather, although upon first glance it looks almost identical to the material used for the Numbered. I literally had to pull them out and look at them side by side to notice the subtle variation for the Lettered. It has a slighly grainier texture, where as the Numbered is a bit smoother, although they are the same color. The only other real difference is that the Lettered has a satin ribbon page marker.

I must say, the book fits very snugly into the traycase as it is, noticeably more so than the slipcase, so if the first shipment was even tighter then Barry definitely made the right choice to order new ones.

A very competant work overall, but any of you out there who were upset that you didn't get a chance to purchase the Lettered, rest assured, your Numbered is definitely sufficient, and a bargain relative to the Lettered's premium.

A final note: I thought it worth mentioning that I really think that King is barely making an effort anymore when it comes to his signatures. You would actually almost doubt the authenticity of his signature if it weren't a Signed/Limited. It barely looks like "Kg." Just an observation. Take that for what it's worth.

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Worth mentioning is the fact that it has satin ribbon strands attached to both ends to tie it shut and came tied in a bow, which I thought was sort of funny.

How would you tie it? I've got all of my items like that tied in bows. I'm not very original, I guess.

Sam
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Can I recommend trying a sailor's knot carlos?:P

BigCoffinHunter
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd just never seen a traycase that could be tied from the outside is what I meant. Bow tie would be the easiest to undo :-)

Randall Flagg
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM

I must say, the book fits very snugly into the traycase as it is, noticeably more so than the slipcase, so if the first shipment was even tighter then Barry definitely made the right choice to order new ones.

You are dead on. The slip/traycase is still very snug.

A final note: I thought it worth mentioning that I really think that King is barely making an effort anymore when it comes to his signatures. You would actually almost doubt the authenticity of his signature if it weren't a Signed/Limited. It barely looks like "Kg." Just an observation. Take that for what it's worth.

Another astute observation, but I think if most people look at their own "signatures" over the last 30 years, they will find significant changes-but still, I (and you) get the feeling SK is less interested in providing hundreds if not thousands of beautiful signatures.

Worth mentioning is the fact that it has satin ribbon strands attached to both ends to tie it shut and came tied in a bow, which I thought was sort of funny.

How would you tie it? I've got all of my items like that tied in bows. I'm not very original, I guess.

Imagine your shoelaces. that's how you tie it.:P

Randall Flagg
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Here is how the USPS treats a box of books:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9600/p1010331p.jpg

e_taylor
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Yikes! Hopefully packaged well enough to no damage the books themselves!

jhanic
04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
That looks very similar to the box that my Centipede Press edition of the s/l Salem's Lot came in.

John

Randall Flagg
04-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Has any(every) one removed the shrink wrap from their S/L?
Mine has a little tab under the wrap indicating the number (162).
The lettered wasn't shrinkwrapped.
Thoughts?

jhanic
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I removed the shrinkwrap from my S/L. It also had that sticker (#232).

John

Randall Flagg
04-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Did you find the signature pages to be VERY tightly bound?
In taking pictures of the lettered edition, I settled for less than perfect pictures as I didn't want to splay the book wide open.

Sir_Boomme
04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
ha... i totally forgot about ordering this book... when it showed up yesterday, i thought it was an order i put in for some of those back zappers (electrotheropy thingies)... which i really need today because my lower back is killing me.
gonna have to lay on my new books instead i guess.

for the lettered, i got either yy or uu - hard to tell which with the way it's written....doesn't match any of my other lettereds damnit.
well... actually if it's yy it matches a ray garton lettered i have... but no king or hill matches which is what i was hoping for.
L would have been superb...since it would have match my gunslinger and voluntary committal lettereds.... but CC,DD,Q all would have been better than UU or YY...which ever it is i got.... ah well... such is the luck of the draw. my numbered edition didn't match anything either.

comment... lettered case is way to tight... i won't be viewing this one very often.... with a case that tight, a spare book jacket should have been included.

Fsmdr
04-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Another question on the lettered, does anyone else's book has the font of the printed names cut off on the signature pages?. Looks like the pages might have been bound off center. Rather tacky production , IMO.

Sam
04-25-2009, 07:18 PM
That sounds like a problem you should contact Barry about.

Patrick
04-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Has any(every) one removed the shrink wrap from their S/L?
Mine has a little tab under the wrap indicating the number (162).
The lettered wasn't shrinkwrapped.
Thoughts?
I have two of the numbered editions. They each have one of those little numbered tabs. Both tabs are still in the books. However I have only removed the shrinkwrap from one of the books. I might sell the other someday, so I left the shrinkwrap in place for now.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Another question on the lettered, does anyone else's book has the font of the printed names cut off on the signature pages?. Looks like the pages might have been bound off center. Rather tacky production , IMO.
Not sure what you are describing. My lettered has very tight sig pages, so tight I did not fully crack the book open for photos.

Example:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5702http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/HIL_Lettered_sig_page_2.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5702&size=big&cat=

Fsmdr
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
What do you guys think?. Should I say something to Barry?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1659/dsc03463p.jpg

Sam
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I would, since it doesn't seem to be like the other pic or two I've seen of that pages.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
What do you guys think?. Should I say something to Barry?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1659/dsc03463p.jpg

I would say something. If you like the number maybe Barry will give a partial refund :)

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I would say something and see what he suggests.

tippy4
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
You know, I have to say that I was less than thrilled with the way this book was handled.

Starting with the lettered editions. If I recall correctly, the book was oversold, and so instead of giving books to the first 52 people who placed orders, their names were put into a hat and randomly drawn.

Then, the issue of credit cards came up. According to the newsletters, if your credit card expired, or if you changed your address, you ran the risk of losing your book, so if you were one of those people, (and I was) the newsletters made it seem like the only way to secure a copy of the book was to send in a check....which of course works out great for Gauntlet because then they do not have to pay the credit card fees.

The next annoying issue was that it turned out that Gauntlet realized that they had extra copies available, but would only sell them to someone who bought additional Matheson books because the "Matheson family wanted the books to go to someone who was a real Matheson fan" (I have a hard time believing that, and really believe it was just a way for Gauntlet to sell more books).

Next, before the books started shipping, Gauntlet was putting them on ebay and selling them for more than the cover price.

And finally, they did a VERY poor job of packing my books.

Don't get me wrong, I like the book itself. They did a nice job, but the rest of the "experience" left something to be desired.

Sam
04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Agreed.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I am guessing that the signature pages on most every book are very "tight". By tight I mean that one would have to not only spread the book wide open, but also tug or stretch in an attempt to release the pages.
I see no way to resolve this. How can one send back 1/52, or 1/750 and receive an acceptable replacement? I think this book will unilaterally present itself with this issue, and have to either be accepted as such, or cause consternation.

Sam
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
His problem isn't just the tightness of the page. Some of the actuall page was chopped off the end. For instance is says his book was signed by "Ramsey Campbel" and "Nancy A. Collin" rather than Ramsey Campbell and Nancy A. Collins. That is a quality control issue and should be addressed.

Randall Flagg
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
His problem isn't just the tightness of the page. Some of the actuall page was chopped off the end. For instance is says his book was signed by "Ramsey Campbel" and "Nancy A. Collin" rather than Ramsey Campbell and Nancy A. Collins. That is a quality control issue and should be addressed.
Excellent point, and shame on me for not understanding that the outside edge of the sig page was cut off, with no possibility of pulling, stretching/separating to reveal.
Yes, immediately contact Barry Hoffman @ Gauntless Press (http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=psdbi/GMainPg.html&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21).
I still wish to hear if others observe an interior tightness of the signature pages.

Fsmdr
04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think this would be considered a problem. I'll send an email to Barry and see what happen. It is unlikely that he has an extra unnumbered copy that he can replace this with, but we'll see.

e_taylor
04-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Ironically, this is what all those extra PC copies he prints are actually for - too bad he sells them before the book is even released.

wizardsrainbow
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
I got my Lettered copy over the weekend. I got letter OO. I know that I was one of the very first few people to order the lettered as you remember that demand was so strong that he decided to do the lottery thing, but honored the very few initial orders he got. I was one of those selected people so I didn't have to sweat the lottery. So, I guess I am a little disappointed that I didn't get a letter between A-H. Clearly Barry did not recognize order placement in assigning letters.

I could be persuaded to part with my Lettered copy if someone here got shut out but still wants one. Cost to me was $510 (includes shipping). Make me a good offer and it can be yours.

carlosdetweiller
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
So, I guess I am a little disappointed that I didn't get a letter between A-H. Clearly Barry did not recognize order placement in assigning letters.

I feel the same way. I got a confirmed early order and ended up with "u" (at least I think it is a "u").

Randall Flagg
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I was in the lottery and received CC.
I think Terry mentioned he might want CC.

Fsmdr
04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
So, I guess I am a little disappointed that I didn't get a letter between A-H. Clearly Barry did not recognize order placement in assigning letters.

I feel the same way. I got a confirmed early order and ended up with "u" (at least I think it is a "u").

I requested a 'K' and did get the letter I asked for. Also, I contacted Barry regarding my defective copy and he does have extra unlettered copies for specifically this purpose. I am sending him my copy to be replaced with the same lettered copy.

e_taylor
04-28-2009, 04:23 AM
I'd get him to guarantee that he'll destroy the original "K" before doing so, as opposed to selling it.

tippy4
04-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I see no way to resolve this. How can one send back 1/52, or 1/750 and receive an acceptable replacement? I think this book will unilaterally present itself with this issue, and have to either be accepted as such, or cause consternation.

I had a situation where my book arrived damaged and I had to send it back. Gauntlet had un-numbered "PC copies" available, so they just wrote the number from my damaged book into the un-numbered copy and sent it to me.

Randall Flagg
04-28-2009, 06:14 AM
That is a good solution.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-29-2009, 08:50 AM

Add me to the list of the disappointed. I got letter "YY", and I know I was in the first 6 people who ordered this.

I wrote to Barry to tell him of my disappointment.

I have only stated buying books direct from small publishers in the last 18 months and have been let down, or received less than the service I would expect. I will go back to buying my books on the secondary market. I have never had any problems there, and nowadays you can get them for less than the issue price.

Ari_Racing
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Sometimes things don't end up the way we'd like, but that doesn't mean it's the publisher's fault. Don't forget you're dealing with small publishers were very few employees have to do everything. You simply can't make everyone happy.

I agree that there are some things that could have been handled other way, but you also have to be patient. At least that's what I try to do. I requested Barry a particular number and I didn't receive it...not even near. Well...shit happens :) The book looks cool anyway.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM

I received a less than courteous response. I will not buy from this publisher again.

Rules of customer satisfaction:
http://www.six-sigma-training.org.uk/articles/customer-service-rules/

Ari_Racing
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Ok..curiosity kills me. May you post what he replied?

e_taylor
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I half agree with Mr. RT. There are a lot of publishers that aren't worth dealing with - Barry being one that I've added to my list. I get most of my small press books from Horror Mall now, as I don't have to pre-pay and theres usually a discount off the list price. (That said, Bob has had problems with HM, and I'm sure others have). However, theres many publishers, including Grant and Centipede Press that I wouldn't think twice about dealing with directly.

In the end, its everyone's personal preferences based on personal experiences, so Mr. RT is justified in whatever route he takes to get his books,

willie3
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I too was one of the first to order, so I did not have to go through the lottery.

I received the letter SS.

But I also received a very high number of the signed/numbered edition,3 or 4 hundred something.
(Out of town right now so I can't check exact number)

Disappointed. :(

I would like to think Gauntlet press did the best they could, but doesn't appear that way.

Karl

divemaster
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I know I wasn't one of the first to order. I think it was after the 3rd e-mail newsletter when I placed my order for one of the numbered. I hadn't been a regular customer--in fact I think this was my first dealing directly with Gauntlet.

I received #80. The only way I can figure that is it was totally random. There's no way I was in the first 80 to respond to the offer.

Brice
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
They probably just did it randomly to be fair to those who took their time about ordering. I mean there's no reason at all to think that because you order first you should get a low letter or number.

Sam
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure we can safely say it was a random distribution of the books. I ordered the book within the first hour of it's offering and received #224.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Ok..curiosity kills me. May you post what he replied?

Sorry Ari, I will keep that private.

Ari_Racing
04-30-2009, 02:52 AM
That's okay :).

Thanks anyway, Rabbit

Randall Flagg
04-30-2009, 06:56 AM

Here is how my books arrived:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5427/p1010331.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-30-2009, 07:12 AM

Here is how my books arrived:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5427/p1010331.jpg

Don't you think the damage in the picture is more the result of poor handling by the USPS rather than some deficiency in Gauntlet's packaging? If your book was in good shape despite the rough handling I would say Gauntlet did a pretty good job of packaging. Agree? Disagree?

jhanic
04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
As long as the books were undamaged, kudos to Gauntlet for their packaging and boos to the USPS for their handling.

John

Randall Flagg
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I did not mean to infer is was faulty packaging, I was showing how the USPS smashes things. The books inside survived.

herbertwest
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
it reminds me that the package for the NON FICTION ARC by CD that i recieved at the beginning of the week was all fu°°ed up.
Looked like people have been opening sides to check it was a book (customs i guess), but still.... It was so bad that the post office people wrapped it into a bag from them on which was written something like "it is our duty to make sure books arrive in the best shape possible, as it was damaged we protected it with this bag". A real joke..
Glad the book was Ok and that i didnt pay for it..:orely:

Randall Flagg
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
I was one of those selected people so I didn't have to sweat the lottery. So, I guess I am a little disappointed that I didn't get a letter between A-H. Clearly Barry did not recognize order placement in assigning letters.

I requested a 'K' and did get the letter I asked for. Also, I contacted Barry regarding my defective copy and he does have extra unlettered copies for specifically this purpose. I am sending him my copy to be replaced with the same lettered copy.

Add me to the list of the disappointed. I got letter "YY", and I know I was in the first 6 people who ordered this.

I too was one of the first to order, so I did not have to go through the lottery.

I received the letter SS.

But I also received a very high number of the signed/numbered edition,3 or 4 hundred something.
(Out of town right now so I can't check exact number)

Disappointed. :(

I would like to think Gauntlet press did the best they could, but doesn't appear that way.

Karl
Did any of you notate or follow up your order requesting a specific letter?
I'm not sure how Barry is expected to be prescient.
I contacted Barry-and I will concede he can be strident in his responses, and here is what he said:

...by the way, someone sent me part of the thread regarding those 6 people who received a lettered edition before we had the lottery. One was upset he/she didn't get a "low" letter. Our policy was to honor requests for specific letters when there was a request. A good half of those ordering made such a request. Those who didn't request a specific letter got those that were left. And, letters (those not requested) were not given out on a first-come, first-served basis. Because so many of the orders came in that first day, the six who were promised the book got the book (keeping a promise I'd made by confirming their order). But, that didn't entitle them to get the lowest of the letters, unless they requested a specific letter.If that is the case, I see nothing wrong with how it was handled.

wizardsrainbow
05-01-2009, 06:51 AM
I did not request a specific letter. I did not know that I could do that. I understand Barry's response about honoring those who did make a request. i'm not all bent up about not getting a low letter, just thought I might get one. Now I understand. No biggie.

tippy4
05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Here is how mine showed up.........

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7779/picture097.jpg (http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture097.jpg)

I DID request a specific number, and I received the number I requested. Of course, I always request a specific number on all my King S/Ls from all small presses, and I have never had one refuse the request...so I kind of expect it.

jemaher
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I also requested a specific letter and got it. Barry is a very classy guy and I have never had a problem with gauntlet. I can not imagine how hard it is for small specialty presses without Big staff handle all of us primadonna collectors and our neurotic requests!

Sir_Boomme
05-03-2009, 04:07 AM
I did not request a specific letter. I did not know that I could do that. I understand Barry's response about honoring those who did make a request. i'm not all bent up about not getting a low letter, just thought I might get one. Now I understand. No biggie.

ditto...
i wasn't expecting any specific or low letter.... just wishful hoping.
obviously, i'm always hoping for a matching letter to one of my other lettereds.... but i always figured it was the luck of the draw. didn't realize one could request a specific letter and hope to get it.
with the whole put in the order, order confirmed, then lottery twist... i was pretty happy just to be one of the first few that had their original order honored without having to go though the lottery process.
and i'm happy to have the lettered i have... but one can always hope for letter "A" or a matching letter or number to show up.

i do think i'll email barry to find out if i my letter is YY or UU. either the tail of the Y's are awfully short, or the tail of the U's are a bit long.
i'll just say its YU until i find out for sure.:P

note that is the main thing i like about my cemetery dance life time subscription... all my numbered editions all have the same number.

e_taylor
05-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Does having letter 'A' really increase value substantially?

Randall Flagg
05-03-2009, 05:18 AM
For those worried about tightness of the slipcase or traycase, I was able to order an extra dustjacket for insurance sake.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-03-2009, 05:39 AM

I don't think anyone on here has any letter "A"s, but I bet they would all love them.

Sir_Boomme
05-03-2009, 06:22 AM

no, probably not that much...

but you tell me...
if, on ebay, you saw a letter "A" and a letter "UU" both for sale at the same price/ same condition/ same etc....
which one would you most likely buy?

even if the A was 10 dollars more than the UU...and all other factors equal... many would buy the A over the UU - where the breaking price point would be that the UU would look more attractive... i don't know... but the A would be "more desirable" to most collectors...even though that "desirability reasonability" is all in their minds.
of course if you had a bunch of lettered books that were all UU's...then the UU would probably be more attractive...but that'd be a unique case.

e_taylor
05-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Yah, I entirely agree that given the choice I'd go for 'A', I was just wondering if it actually added substantial value. I guess the same would apply to #1 of a numbered edition too.

tippy4
05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
You know, I just do not understand the "low number" (or in this case letter) concept. The only time I can understand it is in the case of DT books where someone is trying to make a matched set.

And yet, If I had my choice between "A" and "UU" (at the exact same price), I would go with "A". Why? Because of the perpetuated notion that "low numbers/letters" are more desireable.

I guess if you see a concept often enough, you start to believe it to some degree! :P

Patrick
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM
... i do think i'll email barry to find out if i my letter is YY or UU. either the tail of the Y's are awfully short, or the tail of the U's are a bit long.
Terry, call it UY as that would be lower lettered. :lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
i do think i'll email barry to find out if i my letter is YY or UU. either the tail of the Y's are awfully short, or the tail of the U's are a bit long.

Terry, as I have YY, yours must be UU, unless Gauntlet have.....

Cutter
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Yah, I entirely agree that given the choice I'd go for 'A', I was just wondering if it actually added substantial value. I guess the same would apply to #1 of a numbered edition too.
Even though I'm from the school the Letter doesn't matter (and I usually ask for G because of my name) I still think a Letter A or a Number 1 is worth more than the other letters/numbers. At least in my opinion.

How much more? I think it depends on the book, if it's an anthology no one cares about I would say there is no difference in price, but if it's The Stand, I would say the owner would be selling that at a higher price than the other Lettereds, at least I know I would.

Sam
05-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Neither one is worth more than the other. I've always thought it would be neat to have #1, but I also thought it would be neat to have the last number of the series too. The only instance where number really matters is in a case like The Dark Tower series where the lower numbers mean you have a chance of completeing the set. Of course that's just my opinion. Had I thought I could ask for a specific number, I might would have matched it to my copy of Insomnia, but maybe not since I bought it as an investment of a sort. Not that I think it will sky rocket, but it will be worth more than cover price.

tippy4
05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I disagree Sam.

To use gguthrie's example above, if The Stand #1 and #745 were on ebay at the exact same time, I gurantee that #1 would sell for more....which makes it worth more.

I don't understand it...but that is how it would go down. How much more? I have no idea, but it would definitely sell for more.

The ebay sellers have created the myth that low numbers are worth more (and I truly believe it originated with The Dark Tower series, in which low numbers ARE worth more for the sole reason of being able to make a matched set), and over time, the myth became reality.

Rahfa
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Since the entire market is based on descending levels of exclusivity, it's just another way for obesessives to have something else to glom onto...haha....

Randall Flagg
05-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Since the entire market is based on descending levels of exclusivity, it's just another way for obesessives to have something else to glom onto...haha....

Pretty much so.:P

wizardsrainbow
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd definitely pay more for #1 versus #115 or whatever. In fact, I just did a gut check and I would pay a premium (this is just me speaking) for a number 1-5 versus any other higher numbers.

Gunkslinger
05-07-2009, 01:29 AM
I have lifetime letter "A" subscriptions with two small presses, I specifically requested it because of the psychology of collecting, the difference is just ink, but I feel the value of the books is greater because of the letter.

Dolan
05-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Listen - if I was #6 in ordering a book at the price it was selling for - and I got letter UU, i'd be mighty pissed off.

Randall Flagg
05-10-2009, 06:05 AM
If I was was sixth, and I wanted a specific letter, I would have asked for it.

Bev Vincent
02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
HE IS LEGEND, the Richard Matheson tribute anthology Christopher Conlon edited in 2009 for Gauntlet Press, will be reprinted by Tor in trade hardcover in the fall of this year, with the paperback appearing sometime after that. There will also be a Japanese reprint.

mae
02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice, a trade hardcover. Good news. I'm still hoping this is added to King's next collection as well.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I just noticed this thread. I never asked for a specific letter because I didn't know you could! I received letter 'T' on my HE IS LEGEND, which I ordered more then a year before publication. I have only once received a letter 'A', and that was on a Philip Jose Farmer book from Sub Press. I was very surprised to get it. And I have a number of 'D's and 'E's from Underwood/Miller Jack Vance books.

Just read a few more of the many posts here about what letter people received. I received a Matheson lettered edition a few years back with a blank letter line, and was told they "forgot" to put the letter "M" there and to just write it in myself. Of course I did no such thing. I wrote the letter "A" there! No, just kidding, the line is still blank, and will remain so.

Randall Flagg
02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
It would be interesting to see member's books with either an "A", or "1" limitation designation. Something tells me Bob and Terry would have more than one title from King with an A or 1.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-12-2010, 04:13 AM
If I get around to it I will post a picture of my lone "A" at the Collector's site. I still haven't tried to post pictures here since the change. I am just too lazy to try and figure it out.

biomieg
02-12-2010, 05:23 AM
If I get around to it I will post a picture of my lone "A" at the Collector's site. I still haven't tried to post pictures here since the change. I am just too lazy to try and figure it out.

That's a shame though because you have lots of good stuff to share and I'm sure many Calvin's Corners regulars are too lazy to go to the Collector's site ;)

(and it's really not hard to post pics here)

ELazansky
04-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Is $150 a fair price to pay for a "PC" copy of He is Legend? Gauntlet Press is selling them at this price. I realize that it may not be "worth" as much as the numbered edition, but I'm more concerned about the quality of the book. I'm usually not a big fan of anthologies, but I think it is nice to have both SK and Joe Hill's signatures in one book. Any input would be appreciated for this novice collector.

Eric

Dolan
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
I'd pay $150.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I agree. Fair price.

LostAlivE
06-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I ordered one of the S/L slipcased from the publisher last week for $250.00 an he said he only had two more available. l lucked out on this one I guess. told me it would be shipped the last Friday.

ELazansky
06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Before he had those listed I bought a PC Copy with the slipcase from them for 200.00. It is a nice book.

frik
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Before he had those listed I bought a PC Copy with the slipcase from them for 200.00. It is a nice book.

I forgot what I payed for my PC copy. I believe it was somewhere around $200.00 also, but my book came without a slipcase - BUT, was also signed by Mr. Matheson.

sk

Sam
06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
You have a VERY rare book then Frik. Matheson's signature was supposed to be in the Lettered Edition only. Remember though that his son Richard Christian Matheson also signed the S/L book. I only mention this because at first I thought I had received one signed by Matheson and noticed it was his son's sig I was seeing instead.

frik
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I double checked and this is what I found

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4218/stephenkingdefinitive00f.jpg

Sam
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I would call that among the SUPER rare. You may actually own the only one.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-12-2010, 11:57 PM
That is rare frik. The lettered signature sheet has "Richard Matheson" printed on it. You have the numbered one with Matheson's signature. Neat.

frik
06-13-2010, 05:44 AM
You have the numbered one with Matheson's signature. Neat.

No, mine is not numbered: it's a PC - copy.
I forgot his name, but got it through someone via de SKEMERs newsletter (the very last one). I don't believe it's the only one, as he mentioned a few copies were signed this way.
But my memory is a bit hazy on this.

sk

LostAlivE
06-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I received mind the other day and he told me he only had two copies left and I got #25. I couldn't believe it when it arrived.

ELazansky
06-17-2010, 09:29 AM
That's cool - I don't mind mine being a PC Copy. Still signed by King and Hill, so it works for me.

Sam
06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
For anyone looking for a copy of He Is Legend S/L, I have one for sale. It's a numbered edition, not PC. Check my signature for more details.

LostAlivE
06-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I got my book the other day and I paid $200.00 for the book and $50.00 for the slipcase that is why I said mine cost $250.00 to begin with. One reason I wanted to get it was because Stephen King and Joe Hill signed on the same page and that theirs was the only signatures on that page. I thought that was pretty cool in itself.

Randall Flagg
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/HIL_Lettered_sig_page_3.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/King-Hill_Signed_Tip_Sheet.jpg

Bev Vincent
09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Chris Conlon writes:

Just wanted to mention that the Tor reprint of my Stoker Award-winning Richard Matheson tribute anthology, HE IS LEGEND, is in bookstores today. The book includes all-new Mathesonian sequels, prequels, and variations from Stephen King & Joe Hill (their first-ever collaboration), F. Paul Wilson, Joe Lansdale, Whitley Strieber, Nancy A. Collins, and a bunch more. The introduction is by Ramsey Campbell. The trade paperback lists at $15.99 ($10.87 on Amazon), the hardcover at $25.99 ($19.75 on Amazon). There is also a Kindle edition priced at $9.99. Take a look here for info:

http://www.amazon.com/He-Legend-Christopher-Conlon/dp/0765326140/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284494524&sr=1-11

The original Gauntlet signed edition of this book was pricey, so I hope that Matheson fans who weren't able to pick up that version can enjoy this one!

lophophoras
09-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Chris Conlon writes:

Just wanted to mention that the Tor reprint of my Stoker Award-winning Richard Matheson tribute anthology, HE IS LEGEND, is in bookstores today. The book includes all-new Mathesonian sequels, prequels, and variations from Stephen King & Joe Hill (their first-ever collaboration), F. Paul Wilson, Joe Lansdale, Whitley Strieber, Nancy A. Collins, and a bunch more. The introduction is by Ramsey Campbell. The trade paperback lists at $15.99 ($10.87 on Amazon), the hardcover at $25.99 ($19.75 on Amazon). There is also a Kindle edition priced at $9.99. Take a look here for info:

http://www.amazon.com/He-Legend-Christopher-Conlon/dp/0765326140/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284494524&sr=1-11

The original Gauntlet signed edition of this book was pricey, so I hope that Matheson fans who weren't able to pick up that version can enjoy this one!

There is also a signed TOR Hardcover with tipped in signature sheets being sold for $100.00 plus shipping.

Cutter
09-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Chris Conlon writes:

There is also a signed TOR Hardcover with tipped in signature sheets being sold for $100.00 plus shipping.

Are these from Gauntlet or are they new ones? Also did King sign them?

jhanic
09-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that if you use the button at the bottom of this page to link to Amazon and buy something, the site gets some money.

John

lophophoras
09-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Chris Conlon writes:

According to the site they are the new TOR Hardcover Edition with tipped in signature sheets. Both King and Hill's signatures are supposed to be included.

There will be a limited number available but the actual total of copies wasn't mentioned.

ELazansky
09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Chris Conlon writes:

According to the site they are the new TOR Hardcover Edition with tipped in signature sheets. Both King and Hill's signatures are supposed to be included.

There will be a limited number available but the actual total of copies wasn't mentioned.

I went ahead and ordered one. For $100, it is another signed King book for me, with Joe Hill's to boot. Probably won't be too many of these regular hardcovers signed going around.

nyy3723a
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Chris Conlon writes:

I went ahead and ordered one. For $100, it is another signed King book for me, with Joe Hill's to boot. Probably won't be too many of these regular hardcovers signed going around.

For the life of me, I can't find this edition anywhere. Can someone please help me out with a link?

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
On the Homepage (Gauntlet) scroll down to "Now Available" on the right. The first book in the "Now Available" section is HE IS LEGEND. Click on that link and then on the HE IS LEGEND page scroll down towards the bottom for the TOR editions of the book. I have not yet processed orders (won't do so until the afternoon) so I can't guarantee there will be any of the signed left

nyy3723a
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
On the Homepage (Gauntlet) scroll down to "Now Available" on the right. The first book in the "Now Available" section is HE IS LEGEND. Click on that link and then on the HE IS LEGEND page scroll down towards the bottom for the TOR editions of the book. I have not yet processed orders (won't do so until the afternoon) so I can't guarantee there will be any of the signed left

Thanks - hopefully there was one last copy for me!

WeDealInLead
09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Just placed an order for the signed hardcover (you'll recognize my order by an unpronaucable name). Great price.

nyy3723a
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I just got my confirm email!

:rock::thumbsup::cyclops:

Patrick
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Earlier this morning I went ahead and ordered the TOR hardcover with the tipped-in signature sheets. I've already got two copies of the Gauntlet S/L, but I couldn't resist this deal.

(I'm the one whose real name matches his screen name here - and I asked about how to order a replacement dustjacket for the Gauntlet S/L - I messed up one book's dj within two minutes of opening the box back when it arrived months ago.)

EDIT: I received my confirmation. Book ships on Monday? SWEET!

ELazansky
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I just got my confirm email!

:rock::thumbsup::cyclops:

I hope I get mine soon since it looks like I ordered hours before you did :orely:

e_taylor
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Are you Barry? Or do you work for him?

Cool beans!

ELazansky
09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
So I was just informed that the book is sold out. Doesn't seem right that others who ordered after me are getting the book.

lophophoras
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
So I was just informed that the book is sold out. Doesn't seem right that others who ordered after me are getting the book.

I placed my order at 4:52AM this morning and just got a email saying they were sold out.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Are you Barry? Or do you work for him?

Cool beans!

No, I was just repeating the e-mail he sent me, sorry, I should have said that!

Randall Flagg
09-15-2010, 12:30 PM
and I asked about how to order a replacement dustjacket for the Gauntlet S/L - I messed up one book's dj within two minutes of opening the box back when it arrived months ago.)

Did you ever locate a replacement DJ?
I think I might have an extra one.

divemaster
09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
My order this afternoon was denied..."Sold Out"

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I also received a notice that I did not get my order in on time. The irony is I got the e-mail early in the morning but I didn't see the book offered on the Gauntlet site. By the time I had it figured out it was too late. I am VERY dissapointed, as I collect both Matheson and King.

Randall Flagg
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I am VERY dissapointed, as I collect both Matheson and King.
Hopefully it will be available on the secondary market-and at a reasonable price.

FYI, I think I have a couple of the signed tip in sheets laying around here somewhere.

ELazansky
09-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I am VERY dissapointed, as I collect both Matheson and King.
Hopefully it will be available on the secondary market-and at a reasonable price.

FYI, I think I have a couple of the signed tip in sheets laying around here somewhere.

I can only assume these are going to go for at least 250-300 on the open market. The hardcover books were supposed to be only for libraries, so anyone with a copy and signed is going to have a very uncommon piece.
*sigh* Oh well, guess I'll find some other use for that 100 bucks

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I ordered a hardcover copy from Amazon a couple days ago and have confirmation it was sent. So they can't be that scarce.

Fsmdr
09-15-2010, 01:33 PM
According to the email Barry sent me, there is only 10 copies with all the tipsheets!. Looks like this is going to be a very small edition.

ELazansky
09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I ordered a hardcover copy from Amazon a couple days ago and have confirmation it was sent. So they can't be that scarce.

I meant I think the signed copies will be scarce.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Gauntlet are the new Cemetery Dance.

lophophoras
09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I did manage to get a copy with the King and Hill tipsheet. There are only two copies with just those two signatures. I can live with that.

:)

Patrick
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
and I asked about how to order a replacement dustjacket for the Gauntlet S/L - I messed up one book's dj within two minutes of opening the box back when it arrived months ago.)
Did you ever locate a replacement DJ?
I think I might have an extra one.
Barry asked me to remind him again next week. They plan to get all these books shipped out by Monday first. If I need yours, I'll definitely contact you. Thanks, Jerome.

Gauntlet are the new Cemetery Dance.
How so?

I did manage to get a copy with the King and Hill tipsheet. There are only two copies with just those two signatures. I can live with that.

Very nice!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Bummed.......I didn't get in on this one.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-15-2010, 03:01 PM

I think I got the other one. Only time will tell!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM

My email from Barry said there were 20!

lophophoras
09-16-2010, 02:56 AM
Here's the message I got:

I'm sorry but we are sold out of the edition of the book you ordered. I do have two copies with just the tipsheets from King and Joe Hill (and 5 people who I will be contacting). If you want that edition (no change in price) please let me know as soon as possible. They will be awarded on a first-ordered, first-served basis. Please let me know one way or the other. If you don't want (or are not one of the two who get those copies) I will either void your Paypal payment or if you paid via a credit card not charge the card.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

nyy3723a
09-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Wait, I'm confused. I ordered after other people did and I got the book but they didn't? That doesn't seem right.

ELazansky
09-16-2010, 04:32 AM
It certainly wouldn't be your fault. I can't say for sure when everyone else placed their order. I placed mine at 10:45am Eastern and was denied.

lophophoras
09-16-2010, 04:45 AM
It certainly wouldn't be your fault. I can't say for sure when everyone else placed their order. I placed mine at 10:45am Eastern and was denied.

Mine was placed around 5:00AM Central and was denied.

carlosdetweiller
09-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Wait, I'm confused. I ordered after other people did and I got the book but they didn't? That doesn't seem right.

Do you have a history of ordering books from Gauntlet? Publishers tend to take care of their best customers first. I suspect that Barry recognized your name as a long time good customer and took care of you.

divemaster
09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Here's the message I got:

I'm sorry but we are sold out of the edition of the book you ordered. I do have two copies with just the tipsheets from King and Joe Hill (and 5 people who I will be contacting). If you want that edition (no change in price) please let me know as soon as possible. They will be awarded on a first-ordered, first-served basis. Please let me know one way or the other. If you don't want (or are not one of the two who get those copies) I will either void your Paypal payment or if you paid via a credit card not charge the card.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I got the same e-mail but politely declined.

Randall Flagg
09-16-2010, 06:15 AM
So I guess the Tor book will need to go into the King Catalog. How many total are signed by King?

ELazansky
09-16-2010, 06:19 AM
I believe there were 10 copies with all of the tipsheets and 2 with just the King and Hill sheet.

Ari_Racing
09-16-2010, 06:29 AM
My order was denied :(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
So I guess the Tor book will need to go into the King Catalog. How many total are signed by King?

Maybe not. These tipsheets are left overs from the Gauntlet Signed Limited. It's not a new signed/limited.

Rahfa
09-16-2010, 07:20 AM
So they are taking this new TOR edition, and rebinding it with the leftover, unnumbered signature sheets?

I think it qualifies as a "new" book, since the binding is different, and it doesn't follow the same limitation as the original Gauntlet edition....but I dunno...could be argued either way.

I'm not sure about value...the Gauntlet King/Hill edition didn't take off like I expected it to. Barely sells for issue price.

But like RF says below...only 10 (or 20, or even 50) copies is obviously VERY rare...I think it depends on how aware people become of it, and what the impression is...I mean, nobody's lining up for those handmade limited editons that Flatsigned cobbled together...so is this any different? Without an official limitation, it's hard to say.

Randall Flagg
09-16-2010, 08:13 AM
With only 10 books the Tor edition is quite rare.
I don't think it would hurt to add it to the Catalog.
<--------------------Ponders.

e_taylor
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
But what about all the loose sheets Barry already sold? Whats stopping someone from tipping those into a Tor edition like he has? Then the limitation expands...

jhanic
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
I got a set of the signed sheets with my proof of the Tor He Is Legend.

John

Randall Flagg
09-16-2010, 01:19 PM
But what about all the loose sheets Barry already sold? Whats stopping someone from tipping those into a Tor edition like he has? Then the limitation expands...
I think/hope that the tipped in sheets by Barry would be clearly done by him and that any 'imitation-forgery' would be discernible.

John
Were they bound/glued in the Proof?

jhanic
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM

John
Were they bound/glued in the Proof?

They were loose.

John

Dolan
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
This is the material left over from another production and bound together and called a new edition.

This doesn't qualify.

That's just my opinion. :unsure:

Randall Flagg
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Who bound it? Tor or Gauntlet?

lophophoras
09-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Who bound it? Tor or Gauntlet?

Good question. It really doesn't say on his website.

Randall Flagg
09-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Barry did clarify that there were 12 orders total. 10 Books have all of the signature sheets, 2 books have only Kig/Hill sigs.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
The rare editions WITHOUT any tipsheets or signatures OF ANY KIND! Extremely hard to find!

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/HEISLEGEND.jpg?1284765347

Randall Flagg
09-17-2010, 03:28 PM
I am confused. What makes the two (I believe to be Tor editions) books so rare?

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I am confused. What makes the two (I believe to be Tor editions) books so rare?

If one explains a joke, it is never funny...

Randall Flagg
09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
<--------Obtuse. TFCTU.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Just like the rare 1st edition of Lisey's Story...the one WITHOUT the signature.

Dolan
09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Just like the rare 1st edition of Lisey's Story...the one WITHOUT the signature.

:lol::lol:

Patrick
09-18-2010, 11:33 AM
:lol:

Do you have a history of ordering books from Gauntlet? Publishers tend to take care of their best customers first. I suspect that Barry recognized your name as a long time good customer and took care of you.
I would bet that this is the case.

I have no idea if these belong in the Catalog. Perhaps we should wait until a few people receive them for personal inspection before deciding. Just a thought.

carlosdetweiller
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I just got my copy of the TOR hardcover of HE IS LEGEND from Barry at Gauntlet. The signature sheets are not "tipped in." They are just loosely "laid in." I don't think that this should qualify as a separate edition in the catalog.

Rahfa
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Wait...so it's the book with a seperate loose-leaf signature sheet?

That's not a signed/limited at all (hell, even Flatsigned rebound their books...haha).

Or am I misunderstanding?

carlosdetweiller
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Or am I misunderstanding?

No, you understood correctly. Just a trade edition with the three signature pages laid in separately. Could be taken out and put into another book if one so wished.

jhanic
09-20-2010, 03:55 PM
If that's what it takes to make a signed limited, then my copy of the Tor He Is Legend proof is a signed limited also--it has the signed sheets laid in also! Ridiculous!

John

Rahfa
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I would call this a bit of the grab of the money.

carlosdetweiller
09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, I was disappointed when I opened the package.

To top it off I got two copies of one of the sig sheets and was missing one of the other ones. Luckily Barry has a spare of the one I am missing so he will make the set whole.

Still.......

ELazansky
09-20-2010, 04:29 PM
wow - am I glad my order was rejected...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
wow - am I glad my order was rejected...

Me too. Gauntlet must have had enough of selling PC copies on ebay of "He is Legend" and used the sheets on this.

lophophoras
09-21-2010, 03:35 AM

:thumbsup:

But what can a person do? It was one of those "you snooze, you lose" situations. You want the book then you take a chance at it, if you don't act fast enough someone else will get it instead.

The buyers have to rely on the seller to provide accurate information. In this situation the seller said the sheets were "tipped in". Nowhere did he mention the sheets were laid loose inside the book.

I was under the impression that tipped in meant that the book was made first and the sheets attached with an adhesive later. I'm guessing that I was wrong?

:orely:

jhanic
09-21-2010, 03:37 AM
That's always been my understanding of the term "tipped in".

John

lophophoras
09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Oh well, you live and learn.

The book itself is worth around $25 so basically we paid $75 for some signature sheets.

:wtf:

Brice
09-21-2010, 03:48 AM

:thumbsup:

But what can a person do? It was one of those "you snooze, you lose" situations. You want the book then you take a chance at it, if you don't act fast enough someone else will get it instead.

The buyers have to rely on the seller to provide accurate information. In this situation the seller said the sheets were "tipped in". Nowhere did he mention the sheets were laid loose inside the book.

I was under the impression that tipped in meant that the book was made first and the sheets attached with an adhesive later. I'm guessing that I was wrong?

That's always been my understanding of the term "tipped in".

John

That's the only definition I'm aware of too and the only one I can find related to books.

http://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=books%20tipped%20in

These were not "tipped in", but just layed inside.

Dolan
09-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Yes, I was disappointed when I opened the package.

To top it off I got two copies of one of the sig sheets and was missing one of the other ones. Luckily Barry has a spare of the one I am missing so he will make the set whole.

Still.......

Sorry to hear that, Bob :(

Randall Flagg
09-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Barry 'placed' the signature sheets in the book.
They can be kept as is, removed, or carefully glued in.
The 12 books are unique and will always be so.
Not far different from the Knowing Darkness editions that had a Michael Whelan original sketch art included-placed in but not bound.

I would guess that any of the 12 recipients could sell their book and recoup their expenditure.

Ari_Racing
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Actually...sorry to say this, but it sounds more like a Tim Miller's work...

e_taylor
09-23-2010, 03:17 AM
How many sets of signature sheets has he sold in the past year? My guess is close to 100. So these 12 really aren't anything special. If they were tipped in as advertised then its a slightly different story, but at the end of the day its just one more small press publisher acting unscrupulously.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-23-2010, 03:31 AM
How many sets of signature sheets has he sold in the past year? My guess is close to 100. So these 12 really aren't anything special. If they were tipped in as advertised then its a slightly different story, but at the end of the day its just one more small press publisher acting unscrupulously.

I agree with that. Also the huge number of PC copies and selling proofs/arcs. Even some proofs had these sheets!

lophophoras
09-23-2010, 03:41 AM
I did have him include a note on signed Gauntlet Letterhead that stated that the TOR copy that I recieved from him was one of only two sold by Gauntlet with the King/Hill signature sheet included.

Not that it makes much of a difference but at least it provides a little provenance.

jhanic
09-23-2010, 03:49 AM
I did have him include a note on signed Gauntlet Letterhead that stated that the TOR copy that I recieved from him was one of only two sold by Gauntlet with the King/Hill signature sheet included.

Not that it makes much of a difference but at least it provides a little provenance.

I must have the other then.

John

Rahfa
09-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Actually...sorry to say this, but it sounds more like a Tim Miller's work...

Not really...when FS sold their "signed/limited" version of 'Best American Short Stories,' they actually rebound the book, so it was a totally new version.

If TOR/Gauntet had rebound the book, and bound in the signature sheet, then I'd be impressed...although they never claimed that, so it wasn't like they were lying or anything.

It did say "tipped in" but I always get confused with those terms...all it means is "included with."

herbertwest
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM

John

Anyone have a third one by any chance? :P

Ari_Racing
09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
True, but still...doesn't sound right. At least for me...

lophophoras
09-23-2010, 06:20 AM

John

I'm wondering the same thing...

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
The third of two. Wait, that statement doesn't make sense, does it?

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/LEGEND.jpg?1285261492

lophophoras
09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
My sig sheet dosen't have Matheson's signature. Just King and Hill.

Randall Flagg
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
There are 2 people-Jhanic and lophophoras, who should have the Tor book with sig sheets signed ONLY by Stephen King and Joe Hill (Matheson's signature missing).
10 more should have the Tor book with signature sheets from all the authors-sans Matheson's signature.
Correct me if I am wrong (happens often:doh:).

Randall Flagg
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I shouldn't do this but WTH, I haven't heard one complaint (Carlosdetwieler had a snag which looks like it will be resolved) from the 12 people who ordered and PAID for the book.
Come forth ye who hath paid and is unhappy.
$100. Sheesh, King and Joe Hill sigs for that cheap; that price is a deal-with the provenance.
It would be ironic, but not surprising if 1 of the 12 books quickly goes up on Ebay and sells for far more than the purchase price.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I paid for mine, was told it was one of the two with only King's and Hill's signature, but it came with Matheson's as well. I have no idea why, but I am not unhappy with my purchase by any means. Sure, it's a lot of money, and I did think the sheet would be an actual part of the book, but Gauntlet has been very good to me in the past and I am glad I bought the book. All I need now is a proof (ARC).

jhanic
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
There are 2 people-Jhanic and lophophoras, who should have the Tor book with sig sheets signed ONLY by Stephen King and Joe Hill (Matheson's signature missing).
10 more should have the Tor book with signature sheets from all the authors-sans Matheson's signature.

My copy of the Tor proof has all the signature sheets enclosed.

John

Fsmdr
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
The third of two. Wait, that statement doesn't make sense, does it?

And I have the impossible fourth of two.

(Note: No Richard Matheson's signature)

Fsmdr
09-23-2010, 05:53 PM

John

I would love to see that letter if you have a chance to load it up here.

Randall Flagg
09-23-2010, 05:56 PM
I paid for mine, was told it was one of the two with only King's and Hill's signature, but it came with Matheson's as well. I have no idea why, but I am not unhappy with my purchase by any means. Sure, it's a lot of money, and I did think the sheet would be an actual part of the book, but Gauntlet has been very good to me in the past and I am glad I bought the book. All I need now is a proof (ARC).
I suggest you cross out Matheson's signature.

My copy of the Tor proof has all the signature sheets enclosed.

John
I wasn't referring to the proof-but congratulations.

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
[quote=ur2ndbiggestfan;549383]I paid for mine, was told it was one of the two with only King's and Hill's signature, but it came with Matheson's as well. I have no idea why, but I am not unhappy with my purchase by any means. Sure, it's a lot of money, and I did think the sheet would be an actual part of the book, but Gauntlet has been very good to me in the past and I am glad I bought the book. All I need now is a proof (ARC).
I suggest you cross out Matheson's signature.
[quote]

I have a good ink eraser, that should do it!

e_taylor
09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I shouldn't do this but WTH, I haven't heard one complaint (Carlosdetwieler had a snag which looks like it will be resolved) from the 12 people who ordered and PAID for the book.
$100. Sheesh, King and Joe Hill sigs for that cheap; that price is a deal-with the provenance.
It would be ironic, but not surprising if 1 of the 12 books quickly goes up on Ebay and sells for far more than the purchase price.

I don't think anyone has issue with the price or the product. Its the lies that Barry is always telling. Things like this have happened more times than I can count. I won't buy books from him because of it. Why not just advertise the actual product you are selling instead of lying about the way the signature sheets are included and the limitation to get people excited.

lophophoras
09-24-2010, 03:25 AM

John

I would love to see that letter if you have a chance to load it up here.

I'll scan it when I get home from work today and will get it posted.

Rahfa
09-24-2010, 04:44 AM

Carlos said he was disappointed...AND that they screwed up the order. So I would call that a complaint.

I would be very surprised if this sold on ebay for more than $175 - a profit, yes, but not dramatic. You can buy the actual book for $200 to $250.

Randall Flagg
09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
I am inclined to leave this out of the Catalog.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-24-2010, 06:01 AM

I agree, and I am very surprised it was even thought to merit inclusion.

Randall Flagg
09-24-2010, 08:00 AM

I agree, and I am very surprised it was even thought to merit inclusion.
I was bored and looking for something to do.:P

Randall Flagg
09-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I decided to go ahead and glue the signature sheets in. It came out pretty well.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7633/img1774p.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9417/img1777z.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4397/img1778h.jpg

Rahfa
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Not too bad...If Gauntlet had bothered to do something similar I would have been more impressed with them.

lophophoras
09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Here is a copy of the letter and sig sheet I received:

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/lophophoras1/SK/TOR-HeisLegend.jpg

Fsmdr
09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for taking the time to upload the letter. I wonder what Barry would say to the fact that we now have at least 3 copies accountable with just the King and Hill signature. I did not count the 4th copy as it includes a Matheson signature.

Randall Flagg
09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm a bit slow.
There are (should be) 10 copies of the Tor Hardback edition, sold by Gauntlet Press that have all 3 signature sheets 'placed' in. There should be 2 more that have less than 3 sheets-but certainly the King/Hill sheet.
lophophoros attests to and presents one, ur2ndbiggestfan (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/member.php?u=8264). attests to another.

Fsmdr
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm a bit slow.
There are (should be) 10 copies of the Tor Hardback edition, sold by Gauntlet Press that have all 3 signature sheets 'placed' in. There should be 2 more that have less than 3 sheets-but certainly the King/Hill sheet.
lophophoros attests to and presents one, ur2ndbiggestfan (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/member.php?u=8264). attests to another.

Yes, then add John's copy and mine (with only King and Hill signatures). That makes 4 of the 'supposed' only 2 copies available. Maybe it is me that is not getting this right....

lophophoras
09-25-2010, 04:01 AM
I'm a bit slow.

Yes, then add John's copy and mine (with only King and Hill signatures). That makes 4 of the 'supposed' only 2 copies available. Maybe it is me that is not getting this right....

I thought John said he got his King/Hill sheet with his proof? So that wouldn't count.

And the copy ur2 received has Matheson's sig as well.

So, that would make just two copies with just the King/Hill sig sheet, your's and mine.

Correct?

jhanic
09-25-2010, 04:13 AM
I got three signature pages with my Tor proof.

John

lophophoras
09-25-2010, 04:56 AM
I got three signature pages with my Tor proof.

John

Okay. So you got only one sig sheet with just King and Hill's sig with your copy of the hardcover from Gauntlet?

jhanic
09-25-2010, 06:48 AM
I didn't order the Tor hardcover.

John

Fsmdr
09-25-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm a bit slow.

I thought John said he got his King/Hill sheet with his proof? So that wouldn't count.

And the copy ur2 received has Matheson's sig as well.

So, that would make just two copies with just the King/Hill sig sheet, your's and mine.

Correct?

Ah...makes sense now. I got all confused. Sorry.

Patrick
09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi, I received the TOR hardcover with all the signature sheets (no Matheson sig).

The limitation page refers to the Lettered edition (vs. the numbered), but of course the space is blank.

Like the others, I was hoping the pages would be tipped in rather than only laid in, however I am more than happy with my purchase given the set of signatures, the book itself, and the all-in price tag.

Although the concept has some allure, I won't be gluing in the sig pages because they are a smaller size than the book pages.

lophophoras
09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm happy with my purchase as well.

Randall Flagg
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Although the concept has some allure, I won't be gluing in the sig pages because they are a smaller size than the book pages.

I was actually being tongue-in-cheek when I said I glued the sheets in. I was waiting to hear cries of outrage.:dance:
As you observed, the sig sheets are smaller than the book pages-otherwise I would have given it strong consideration.

I too am quite pleased with my purchase.

jhanic
09-25-2010, 12:21 PM
For those of you who got all the sheets: What, if anything, is written in the limitation blank?

John

Patrick
09-25-2010, 12:46 PM

I was actually being tongue-in-cheek when I said I glued the sheets in. I was waiting to hear cries of outrage.:dance:
As you observed, the sig sheets are smaller than the book pages-otherwise I would have given it strong consideration.

I too am quite pleased with my purchase.
:lol: Well, I fell for it!

For those of you who got all the sheets: What, if anything, is written in the limitation blank?
John
My limitation page refers to the Lettered edition (vs. the numbered), the space is blank.

Pasiuk57
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I have the PC version also signed by all and Matheson.

Randall Flagg
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM
The pictures I posted document mine. The limitation page 'was' for a Lettered edition. The notation space was left blank.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7633/img1774p.jpg

frik
09-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I have the PC version also signed by all and Matheson.

+1

sk

nyy3723a
09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I just got mine - same as Randall Flagg's - limitation for the lettered left blank. And I got 2 copies of the King/Hill signed sheet included in mine!:excited:

ELazansky
09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I might be interested in buying your extra sig sheet if you are willing to part with it - PM me if interested!

Randall Flagg
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I have an extra King Hill sheet if nyy3723a doesn't wish to sell.

Randall Flagg
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
STEPHEN KING and JOE HILL Team at IDW (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?13555-STEPHEN-KING-and-JOE-HILL-Team-at-IDW)

sgc1999
12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
One for sale here:) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110795743764&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

all sigs are there.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-18-2011, 04:10 AM
All the HE IS LEGENDS that exist (except for the ones I don't have of course):

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/legend1.jpg?t=1324210034

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/2ndbiggest/legend2.jpg?t=1324210166

Randall Flagg
12-18-2011, 07:03 AM
All the HE IS LEGENDS that exist (except for the ones I don't have of course):
You are missing the special aftermarket cases offered by Gauntlet.:emot-hydrogen:

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I also don't have a PC copy.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2011, 05:42 PM
I also don't have a PC copy.
Then you have work to do.