PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement re: NFL, Bowl Mania, and March Madness

NeedfulKings
03-29-2024, 06:29 PM
After 18 years, at the conclusion of the 2024 March Madness contest (and distribution of all trophies earned), I am stepping down as the commissioner of all Dark Tower sports contests. This includes NFL Pick-em, College Bowl Mania, and March Madness. It has been a lot of fun and the contests bring an endless amount of excitement, joy and frustration for us all! After some serious health concerns with Jeanne’s (BedofRoses) mom (who lives with us) and other changes in our lives, we are looking to simplify. As we do this, we are giving some things up, including things we enjoy. The decision has nothing to do with the cost of providing trophies - that cost has been well worth it. And we have enjoyed sponsoring this contest, but we want to focus on other things.

While we will likely play alongside you all in future years, management of the DarkTower.org website posts, trophies, etc. is up for grabs. If someone picks up the ball, changes are inevitable and welcomed. Maybe there will still be trophies – or maybe something else. Or you might just be playing for bragging rights.

I will keep the current ESPN group (Palaver Gunslingers) active and available for use. If someone else wants to create a new Group, feel free. I can remove the current group to avoid confusion. If there is a need to manage the group (i.e., deleting erroneous entries or unwelcome members), it would be easier if it belonged to an active player.

Thanks for “getting in the game” all these years!!!

Bill & Jeanne

As you ponder this news, please enjoy some fun stats going ALL the way back to the previous DarkTower.net website.

NFL Pick’em: 2006-Present
27 members have won trophies (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or Last Place).

NFL Pick’em Hall of Fame
Randall Flagg – 4 first place wins
SkippyDo23 – 7 trophies, 3 first place wins
Elazansky – 3 first place wins
RUBE – 7 trophies
Spencer - perfect week, 2015 (16-0)

College Bowl Mania: 2011-Present
8 members have won trophies (1st Place).

College Bowl Hall of Fame
RUBE – 3 wins
Divemaster – 2 wins
Garrell – 2 wins
NeedfulKings – 2 wins

March Madness: 2012-Present
12 members have won trophies (1st or 2nd Place).

March Madness Hall of Fame
Randall Flagg – 5 trophies, 2 first place wins
Garrell – 2 first place wins
Merlin1958 – 2 first place wins

4 members have won a trophy in all three contests (NFL, Bowl Mania, and March Madness)
Gersto
Merlin1958
NeedfulKings
SpaceMan

And here is a video showing all winners, including trophies through March of 2023. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0vFlO-Pts

RUBE
03-30-2024, 06:20 AM
I am really sorry to hear this because you have done such a great job over all these years. However, I fully understand. You need to put your family first. I hope you can do that now and wish you all the best in doing so.

Garrell
03-30-2024, 09:38 AM
Hoping it is not the end of an era. I always look forward to these.

Lurker
03-30-2024, 10:32 AM
I hope someone takes it over. I wouldn't have any idea what to do - so not me!
And don't forget the one and only Pigskin Playoff Pick'em. My favorite trophy!

Randall Flagg
03-30-2024, 05:42 PM
I would be honored to take over.

NeedfulKings
03-31-2024, 11:55 AM
We appreciate all the words of support! We're not going anywhere, but we are excited to see that things will carry on. Thanks RF!

ajw2910
03-31-2024, 12:16 PM
Yes, thanks for taking over and continuing these contests!

And thanks to Needfulkings for all they did running these for so long!!